New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

Default D&D 5e Base Class Contest XIX Voting Thread (Open to All)

This is the voting thread for the nineteenth 5e base class contest Contest XIX: Doesn't Meet Expectations II!

The rules are simple. Vote for your top three picks, in order. You can't vote for yourself. A number 1 vote is worth 3 points, a number 2 vote is worth 2, and a number 3 vote is worth one. You can (and are encouraged) to vote even if you didn't submit an entry this time around.

You can also suggest or vote on what you would like the next contest's theme to be. Currently in the suggestion box are Dragons, Heroes from Myths, Other Media, Breakfast Cereal Mascots, Not In Kansas Anymore, Gonna Need a Spreadsheet, and I'm Not a Gestalt, But..., but don't feel as though you need to limit your suggestions to those themes; a larger pool means more options to vote on next time. I'm also going to allow votes for any theme that hasn't been used for at least six contests (so right now that adds The Elements, , Chill Out, Remix Mastery, Magic Without Slots, It's Time for Time, Blast from the Past, Signature Creation, Hybrid Vigor, and Based in Science). If you missed a contest or had another idea for a previous theme, you may get your chance again!

Entry Creator 1st 2nd 3rd
    The Party Deity BerzerkerUnit 0 0 0
    The Band Damon Tor 1 3 1
    The Shieldmaiden sengmeng 0 1 1
    The Phantasm MoleMage 1 1 1
    Racial Class: Centaur Old Harry MTX 1 0 1
    The Unlikely Hero Nicomo Cosca 1 1 1
    The Fatemaster Breccia 2 0 1

Themes:
    | Truth and Lies
    | Don't Give Up the Day Job
    | Sound of Silence
    | Less About Combat
    | I'm not Gestalt, But...

The voting period will be three four weeks, ending at the end of the day on June 19th. The following day I will tally these results and declare a winner. There's an extra week here on purpose, because I have plans the weekend that would have been the third week.

For the curious, the tiebreakers I will be using are:

1st tiebreaker is whether both participants voted. If one did not, they lose the tie.
    2nd tiebreaker is total number of 1st place votes. The entry which got more 1st place votes will win the tie.
    There is no 3rd tiebreaker. If both entrants voted and both entries reached their total score with the same number of 1st place votes, the tie will stand.
    Last edited by MoleMage; 2022-06-21 at 09:51 PM.
    Currently operating the 5e Subclass Contest and the 5e Base Class Contest. Check them out if even just to vote or give feedback, we love that in there.

Spoiler
    Show

My DMsGuild content. Most of it was written with feedback from right here on the forums.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Bugbear in the Playground

Daemon

Default Re: D&D 5e Base Class Contest XIX Voting Thread (Open to All)

Fi on me, I didn't finish and forgot to vote for subclasses. If I have the opportunity I'll try and vote here. Good luck to all!

3. - Top - End - #3
    Barbarian in the Playground

This was a tough one for me. But I'm going with

1) The Unlikely Hero
    2) The Phantasm
    3) The Band

Honestly, it was tough deciding between them. It could have easily been a different order.

I would also like to give the Shield Maiden a shout-out. Of the classes, it's the one I'd be most likely to play...I just don't think it fit the contest theme as well as the others.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Orc in the Playground

Wow, I didn't realize that voting was already open!

1. The Fatemaster by Breccia
    2. The Band by Damon Tor
    3. The Phantasm by MoleMage

I had a bit of a hard time picking third place, as the remaining entries were all interesting and well written, but none that made me really shout "it doesn't meet expectations!". Either way, I found a lot of interesting ideas.

At the moment I don't really have any preferences for the theme of the next contest, I will edit this post if something comes to mind ^^

5. - Top - End - #5
    Pixie in the Playground

BardGuy

Hiya all!

I meant to do more reviews of the various classes people posted up, but I'm in full prep for an upcoming larp so I've run out of time. Anyway, loads of really cool entries, but my picks are:

1) The Phantasm by MoleMage
    2) The Band by Damon Tor
    3) The Fatemaster by Breccia

None of this is to say that I did not like the other classes either. I genuinely believe that everyone did awesome work and put together some really interesting classes with some cool ideas.

Some theme ideas (thought I'm happy with anything):

Truth and Lies: What is true and what is a lie? deceivers, truth speakers and seekers, builders of tall tales and revelers of a post truth world. Or just an excuse to make a character from the 1994 film True Lies :P

Don't Give up the Day Job: Turn a day job into its ultimate heroic form - The Butcher, The Baker, The Candle Stick Maker, but all in all their most epic super hero origin story glory.

Sound of Silence: Classes based around the concept of sound or the absence there of. Orators, Distractors and Broadcasters or Listeners, Codebreakers and Silencers of forces and realities both mundane and otherworldly.
    Last edited by Nicomo Cosca; 2022-06-04 at 09:14 AM.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

1. The Centaur- Racial classes are missing, and I want them back. The class that wound up becoming my "dragon" class in the monster contest a few months back started off as a dragonborn racial class, so I'm well invested in the idea.

2. The Unlikely Hero- I have some quibbles about how this was executed, but it's an important fantasy trope that's hard to represent with existing classes

3. Can I do a tie between the Shieldmaiden and the Phantasm? EDIT: I don't want to put anyone in a weird position regarding rules changes on the fly: my 3rd place vote is the Shieldmaiden. Don't ask me to defend why I picked it over the Phantasm though, because I honestly don't have a good answer for you. Both looked fun.

Theme suggestion: Less About Combat. Classes which may well have some combat ability, but are more focused on either the exploration or social axis.
    Last edited by Damon_Tor; 2022-06-10 at 04:18 PM.

7. - Top - End - #7

Quote Originally Posted by Damon_Tor View Post
    3. Can I do a tie between the Shieldmaiden and the Phantasm?
    I'm not changing my vote, but I'd like to know the answer myself. I'm guessing "no" by context.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Bugbear in the Playground

Chimera

1:Band
    2:Shieldmaiden
    3:Unlikely hero

As for the next theme i'm throwing my hat in for I'm not gestalt. but...
    Native Sha'ir enthusiast. NO GENIE WARLOCK DOESNT COUNT!

Quote Originally Posted by Sparky McDibben View Post
    I am unburdened of my salt, and I rise like a bland-ass potato chip from the ashes of my discontent.
    Rate my homebrew: https://forums.giantitp.com/showsing...&postcount=323

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

Just a few days left everyone! The results and new threads may be a smidge late, my ISP is coming by on Monday to install a new line (fiberoptic woo!).

You should all consider voting open until I post the results. I still need to vote my own self, now that I think on it!
    Currently operating the 5e Subclass Contest and the 5e Base Class Contest. Check them out if even just to vote or give feedback, we love that in there.

Spoiler
    Show

My DMsGuild content. Most of it was written with feedback from right here on the forums.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ogre in the Playground

Late votes because of illness and internet issues. Sorry for the delay.

1) The Fatemaster. The fact that it can mess with die rolls to the extent it can is exactly what I'd expect for a class of this name, but it also seems to be reasonably balanced. Well done.
    2) The Band. I wasn't sure you'd be able to make it work but it looks fantastically designed and I'm on board.
    3) Racial Class: Centaur. Racial classes were an excellent idea in 3.5 to introduce racial power that scaled over time, and they're an excellent idea now for the same reason.

Spoiler
    Show

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground

Alright our voting time is now up! Let's take a look see...

In 3rd place, it looks like we have a tie between MoleMage with the Phantasm and Nicomo Cosca with the Unlikely Hero! Both earned 6 points with the same voting spread, and as of my vote an hour ago, both parties have voted, so the tie stands!

In 2nd place, we have Breccia's Fatemaster! It may be multiclass only, but that's on brand for this contest, and nobody manipulates luck like this class does.

And our grand winner for contest 19 is Damon_Tor with The Band! For when you really need to be 2-6 guys instead of one.

Good work everyone! This is a challenging theme and we had a lot of competitive entries.

Theme votes were all over the place this time. I may need to start using the restricted vote pool like I do in the subclass contest. But for today, I'm going to combine Don't Give Up the Day Job as suggested by Nicomo Cosca with Less About Combat suggested by Damon_Tor (the other new suggestions are going in the box, don't you worry about that). Look for Contest 20: I'm Not Supposed to Be Here soon!

And here's the chat thread! https://forums.giantitp.com/showthre...3#post25497823
    Last edited by MoleMage; 2022-06-21 at 10:12 PM.

Spoiler
    Show

12. - Top - End - #12

Quote Originally Posted by MoleMage View Post
    Good work everyone! This is a challenging theme and we had a lot of competitive entries.
    Agreed, this was a good contest with some good entries. A shout-out to the winners and one more to the Shieldmaiden because I still like it.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Pixie in the Playground

BardGuy

Awesome contest everyone! And congratulations to the winner and all who took part for putting together so much good stuff. :)

I really enjoyed bashing something together in time to submit and the whole thing inspired me to keep working on the Unlikely Hero and (hopefully) make it better.

Massive thanks to all who took part in the contest once again. You are all awesome! :)