New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Troll in the Playground

Default I've never heard of this weapon before

The Split-Blade Sword is an exotic 1 handed melee weapon that is also a holy symbol that deals 2d6 damage. And confers a -2 to hit, if you lack 15 Dex. (Just.... A generic holy symbol. OK then.)

This seems pretty good. 2d6 tends to be reserved for Greatsword, which is two-handed. You can dual wield these without any fancy shenanigans. I just find it fascinating. Even if the average damage is 7, compared to 5.5 of a 1d10 longsword.
    Long have I been made to believe that there aren't any particularly notable exotic weapons except the Orcish whatchamacallit, that dealt 3d6 damage.

Are there any other exotic weapons that you find notable?
    Last edited by SangoProduction; 2022-05-24 at 03:28 PM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfWarriorGuy

Default Re: I've never heard of this weapon before

I like the Elven Courtblade. It's two-handed, but can be finessed and has an 18-20 x2 crit range.

Spiked Chain for tripping, but everyone knows about that.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Troll in the Playground

There's quite a few exotic weapons that are at least interesting. Not usually worth-a-feat interesting, but YMMV. And some of them (like the Net) are perfectly usable without proficiency.

Harpoon (Frostburn). If a hit target fails a ref save (DC 10+damage dealt) it lodges in his flesh, halving its speed, preventing running/charging and forcing a DC 15 concentration check to cast.
    Pulling it out requires a full-round action and deals the same damage it did going in.

There's also the Ritiik which gives you a free trip attack if a hit target fails a ref save (same as Harpoon).

Frostburn also has the Ice Axe (+1 to climb if you're not proficient and +4 if you are) and Iuak (ignores 3 points of hardness when attacking objects).
    Not exactly things that come up constantly but they're cheap enough to stick into your Handy Haversack just in case.

The Flindbar (MM3) is one handed, 2d4 damage, 19-20/x2 crit and gives a free disarm attempt every time you threaten a critical hit.
    Boomerang (ECS, Sandstorm) - there's a few varieties, but they're mainly notable for the Boomerang Daze and Boomerang Ricochet feats.
    Alchemy Blade (MoE) - a short sword that you can attach a flask of Alchemist's Fire to which it unloads when you hit. Free action bonus damage basically.

Not an exotic weapon (it's martial) but the Saber (FRCS) is basically a longsword that does slashing and piercing damage and gives you a free +1 to attack while mounted.
    The Weighted Cloak (Cityscape) is also martial, it's basically a flail, but it takes a DC 25 search check to identify as a weapon.

There's probably more but those are the ones i remember.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Firbolg in the Playground

Split-blade sword's PF, right? I'm more familiar with 3.5 stuff; still, if you're interested in examples from among the latter, I'd bring up the great scimitar. It doesn't sound like a big deal at face value (1d8 one-handed slashing weapon with 18–20/×2 crit range; can be wielded without EWP in two hands), but combining it with a diopsid or anything that comes with Powerful Build or Strongarm Bracers really lets it shine: it suddenly becomes a 2d6 broad threat range weapon you can dual wield (which might not be an optimal strategy, but hey, crutfishing's about the roll, not the modifiers).

Sometimes I also feel like repeating heavy crossbows are kind of underrated. Get two of them and a Collar of Perpetual Attendance and go to town! To paint it red! With blood!

Edit: Now that I think of it, you can pull the great scimitar trick above with warmaces for one-handed weapons that deal 3d6 damage. Those come with a penalty to AC and no crit potential to write home about, though.

Another interesting ranged option is skiprocks with a war sling. 50' increment, ×4 crit multiplier, 1d8 damage. Arguably, you can get both for the price of a single feat with Improved Weapon Familiarity.
    Last edited by Metastachydium; 2022-05-24 at 04:40 PM.

5. - Top - End - #5

The MM3's sand blaster, under the sand giant entry. The default in the entry is Large, but a Medium sized one is 1/2 the size in all dimensions and 1/8 the weight, and ammo is as well, making it much easier to haul around.

It's an AoE ranged attack (no range increments) that damages (Reflex 1/2) and debuffs (same save negates) targets in a cone, which means no attack rolls are needed, which means you don't need the Exotic Weapon Proficiency feat to wield it. Lots of magical enhancements do fun things with it, like distance, but especially aptitude, which allows for things like Boomerang Daze to be especially devastating, especially if you've massively improved the AoE via range enhancements. That's not even mentioning Rapid Reload so you can full attack with it. (Yay aptitude!)
    Last edited by MaxiDuRaritry; 2022-05-25 at 12:10 PM.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

Split-Blade Sword is a lot of investment for +1.5 damage. Exotic Weapon Proficiency and Dex 15 to avoid an attack roll penalty. And even then, against anything not immune to critical hits, having a critical of only x2 is going to give you lower average damage than a longsword, scimitar, or battleaxe.

Looking through Pathfinder, I don't see many exotic weapons that seem worthwhile. Maybe the Flickmace, but I think there's a feat to do something similar with polearms. For Drow and Half-Drow, some builds might benefit from using a Drow Razor.

For 3.5, my favorite is Emmide (Holy Order of Stars, p31). It's basically just a Spiked Chain, but less edgelordy, and a Monk weapon.

I'll second Warmace. I like it because you can treat it as a martial weapon by wielding it two-handed. Being 2d6 and bludgeoning, it's a great base for Greater Mighty Wallop.

There's a very niche use for Spinning Sword (Secrets of Sarlona, p136). Specifically, you need to be doing a two-weapon fighting tripper, the DM has to disallow kusari-gama, and you need levels in Exotic Weapon Master to actually allow tripping with it.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Troll in the Playground

RogueGuy

A&EGs percolater

1d3 heat damage!

8. - Top - End - #8
    Troll in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Minor goodies:

Shuriken draw like ammunition, which is a nice way to get "poor man's quick draw". Nice for rogues to use in round 1.

The repeating crossbow similarly can be handy for rogues with that crossbow sniper feat.

Kusari-gama are light weapons that act like spiked chains. You could use two of them.
    Last edited by Particle_Man; 2022-05-24 at 06:21 PM.

Light the lamp not the rat LIGHT THE LAMP NOT THE RAT!!!

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by SangoProduction View Post
    The Split-Blade Sword is an exotic 1 handed melee weapon that is also a holy symbol that deals 2d6 damage. [...]
    Long have I been made to believe that there aren't any particularly notable exotic weapons except the Orcish whatchamacallit, that dealt 3d6 damage.
    I've never heard of either of these, what books are they in?

10. - Top - End - #10
    Troll in the Playground

https://www.d20pfsrd.com/equipment/weapons/
    And it's the butchering axe, rather than an orcish axe.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Troll in the Playground

There are 2 other interesting one-handed Greater Mighty Wallop weapons:

Warmace 1d12 (->8d6 ~= 28) x2 crit, -1 AC
    Maul 1d10 (->6d8 ~= 27) x3 crit
    Tigerskull club 1d8 (->6d6 ~= 21) x4 crit, +Piercing, Disarm/Trip+2

12. - Top - End - #12
    Orc in the Playground

Split blade is pathfinder, Guys. Sango posts almost exclusively Spheres of Power (another pathfinder thing.) Draw your own conclusions about how useful 3.X nonsense is.

Orc Hornbow is an exotic longbow that does 2d6 20/x3. It’s an odd one because “Any effect that applies to both longbows and shortbows also applies to hornbows.” This means that elves are proficient with them, for example.

Broken Back Seux is from the same book as split blade. It’s a light weapon that does d10 20/x2 piercing and requires strength 15 to wield.

You’ve covered orc great axe and split blade. I think those wrap it up for exotic weapons actually worth the feat.

But with custom training, you open up some more weapons without actual feats needed

Spiral Rapier is a rapier, but grants a bonus to disarm.
    Wakasashi and Katana are short and long swords with better crit stats.
    Madu let you fight defensively at -2 to hit instead of -4.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Barbarian in the Playground

Devil

Minotaur Greathammers from MM4 do 1d12 damage and have a crit of 19-20/x4, which when combined with some other stuff might make them the most damaging weapon in the game.

14. - Top - End - #14

Quote Originally Posted by Kitsuneymg View Post
    Split blade is pathfinder, Guys.
    So? The thread isn't marked PF-only, nor does the first post say anything about PF-only, so why are you insistent on PF-only?
    Last edited by MaxiDuRaritry; 2022-05-25 at 10:35 AM.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Barbarian in the Playground

Sugliin are 2d6 weapons for small creatures and 2d8 for medium, and they deal Piercing and Slashing damage. However, they're exotic and two-handed, and they require a full-round action to make a single attack, with a BAB +5 feat that allows use as a normal weapon.

It's bizarre, and requires investment, but it's really interesting regardless.