New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default The warcaster and warsoul Hobgoblins. What about other goblinoids or orcs?

Here's the thing with the warsoul and warcaster hobgoblins. Regular hobgoblins are humanoids. Warsouls and warcasters monstrous humanoids. Apparently at some point these creatures were regular hobgoblins, but "rituals and training" turned them into monstrous humanoids with some nifty abilities and apparent ability score adjustments.

Given that hobgoblins often subjugate other humanoid tribes, it may be possible that their secrets of training and ritual transformation has been adopted by other humanoids/goblinoids. What is the likelihood of this, and has anything like this been published or speculated about anywhere?
    Last edited by redking; 2022-05-25 at 03:50 AM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Default Re: The warcaster and warsoul Hobgoblins. What about other goblinoids or orcs?

Considering it's only mentioned in MM5 (one of the latest books of 3.5), I highly doubt there ever was anything official published on that.

Also, hobgoblins are bent on tactics and the fact that conceding a tactical advantage to an enemy can result in death for the whole tribe. I highly doubt they'd ever disclose the ritual's secrets to other races, especially not when the ritual explicitly allows the vessel to absorb hobgoblin souls to further their own power.

There is only one other goblinoid Monstrous Humanoid, the goblin Dekanter, also created by magic rituals, but not self-inflicted, instead they were transformed by an alhoon to become killing machines to serve him.
    Resurrecting the Negative LA thread, comments and discussion are very welcome!

Do you want to build monstrous characters with reasonable LA? Join the Monster Mash! Currently, round XII: One-Punch Monster!!! One deadly attack is all it takes!
    Nice find! Have a cookie!
    Searchable spreadsheet of 3.5 monsters by abilities, now with all online monsters

Quote Originally Posted by H_H_F_F View Post
    3.5 allows you to optimize into godhood, yes, but far more importantly, it lets you optimize weak, weird, and niche options into relevance.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: The warcaster and warsoul Hobgoblins. What about other goblinoids or orcs?

Well, there was Bugbear Mage in the Friend & Foe: The Elves & Bugbears of Tellene - but they aren't spellcasters, but rather closer to Ogre Mage: got Regeneration and SLA - Mage Hand and
    Magic Weapon (at will), Magic Missile (4/day), Mage Armor (3/day), Cure Serious Wounds and Invisibility (2/day); CL 9. In order to use their magical abilities, Bugbear Mage need a skull rack (one skull per level of the Bugbear Mage), and their regeneration works only within the 30' radius from it.

But Bugbear Mage isn't Monstrous Humanoid. If you interested in Monstrous Humanoids (goblinoids) - there are Goblyns in Ravenloft (which are transformed "by powerful evil magic into twisted beings"), and Mountain Goblins in Rokugan

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

Hmm, this has got me wondering, if I should expand my list of goblinoids linked above with sources such as Kalamar, Dragonlance etc.