New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Spy X Family (anime)

Anyone watching this? It's so much fun!

The premise:

The spy Twilight has a new mission - to investigate a powerful man - and seemingly the only way to do this is by having a child in a prestigious and exclusive school. He must adopt a child and a wife within a week ... Unbeknownst to him, young Anya is a telepath, who will do anything to be part of the exciting life of a spy, just like on her favourite TV show. And when they meet Yor, who is a meek civil service worker by day, elite assassin by night, Anya decides Yor would be the perfect mother. But Twilight's plan now rests on how well they can perform as a family...

The vibe: Classic James Bond (the Sean Connery movies) X Lisa Simpson X Bluey?

Hubby and I watched the first few episodes separately, and then we watched episode 7 together with the 8 year old peering over our shoulders. We figured the action scenes were downplayed enough not to scare her, and she loved it and wanted more. But episode 8 yesterday was more interpersonal drama, with angry faces which she didn't enjoy. Not sure if she'll want to watch more, but we definitely will. It's adapted from a manga, anyone read it? I can't wait for more of it to hit the screen!
    Last edited by theangelJean; 2022-05-29 at 07:29 PM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Colossus in the Playground

Default Re: Spy X Family (anime)

Spy x Family is one of the best manga coming out right now. It's fantastic a manga, and an incredible anime. One of those "this series is one anime away from world renowned stardom" and as the anime's success has shown... it was in fact one of those series.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ettin in the Playground

PirateCaptain

I haven't watched the anime yet, but I read the manga regularly (it's a bimonthly release I think) and I love it. The author definitely nailed rhe humor for me. Even some of the action bits have a little bit of comedy in them. There's also plenty of wholesome moments, which is a gimme considering how family-centric the series is.

Without spoiling anything, I'll say there are a few darker themes thrown every now and then, but the story always circles back to the fun Forger family stuff.
    Quote Originally Posted by MERC_1 View Post
    I find it very amusing that a very theoretical discussion of how to Optimize Bardic Music, turns into a discussion on how much worms you can eat in 7 minutes.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ben-zayb View Post
    I haven't watched the anime yet, but I read the manga regularly (it's a bimonthly release I think) and I love it. The author definitely nailed rhe humor for me. Even some of the action bits have a little bit of comedy in them. There's also plenty of wholesome moments, which is a gimme considering how family-centric the series is.

Without spoiling anything, I'll say there are a few darker themes thrown every now and then, but the story always circles back to the fun Forger family stuff.
    Do you read the manga online or in dead tree form? I know there's an English translation online - do you read it in the original Japanese, or another language?

And yes, the humour is definitely one of the main draws.
    I'm pretty much the opposite of concise. If I fail to get to the point, please ask me and I'm happy to (attempt to) clarify.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ettin in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Quote Originally Posted by theangelJean View Post
    Do you read the manga online or in dead tree form? I know there's an English translation online - do you read it in the original Japanese, or another language?

And yes, the humour is definitely one of the main draws.
    I read it in English from the MangaPlus app.
    Quote Originally Posted by MERC_1 View Post
    I find it very amusing that a very theoretical discussion of how to Optimize Bardic Music, turns into a discussion on how much worms you can eat in 7 minutes.