New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Barbarian in the Playground

RangerGuy

Default What Race with rolled stats?

I finally got access to my character sheet in roll20 and was allowed to roll for Attributes. I got 15, 15, 15, 13, 11, 9.

I was leaning towards Vuman or Custom Lineage to start with a feat (most likely Fey touched and pick gift of alacrity). But with all those odd numbers, is standard human the "best" choice?

Class: Artificer (Battlesmith)

This would either end with me having the following arrays:
    -----Vuman>Custom>Human
    STR - 09 >>> 09 >>> 10
    DEX - 14 >>> 15 >>> 14
    CON - 16 >>> 15 >>> 16
    INT - 16 >>> 18 >>> 16
    WIS - 15 >>> 13 >>> 16
    CHA - 11 >>> 11 >>> 12

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Default Re: What Race with rolled stats?

Do you want the "best" stats or the "good enough" stats?

You rolled 3 15s which would be 27 points in point buy. You had a further 13/11/9 (9 points). You could make do with a species that gave 0 ASIs.

You could pick a species that gives +1/+1/+1 to each of your 15s. Standard Human also gives you a +1 to your other 3 stats (nominally +4 point buy but they are the 3 stats you care the least about). The other species would give you racial features.

With stats this good, I would pick the species that is most interesting to you for flavor reasons.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Spamalot in the Playground

I would personally do Standard Human just for the novelty of making it feel useful.

If it helps - Artificer doesn't need many feats, just hit 20 Int and you're set to do whatever.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy
    Ext. Sig (Handbooks/Creations)

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ettin in the Playground

I would take Standard Human because it would be fun to actually use it, and it's pretty nice.

That being said, you get 2 +1s from VHuman and an additional +1 from Fey Touched. You really don't need the get to even on those other 3 stats, if Fey Touched sounds like fun.
    Pronouns he/him/his
    Spoiler: 5e Subclass Contest Wins
    Show

● IV-Pinball Wizard
    ● VI-Luchador Bard
    ● XIII-Rogue, Tavern Wench
    ● XV-Monk, Way of the Shrine Guardian
    ● XVI-Cleric, Madness Domain
    ● XVIII-Fighter, Chef
    ● XXI-Artificer, Battling Bowman
    ● XXV-Ley Line Sorcerer

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

This is one of the (few) situations in which Standard Human is a potentially a good choice.

However, rounding off STR and CHA doesn't matter much for you. The extra +1 to WIS is slightly more useful, but still not all that necessary right off the bat.

14 DEX/16 CON/16+ INT is really all you need.

Therefore, I'd actually go Half Elf with 17 INT/16 CON/15 WIS/14 DEX. This sets you up nicely for Fey Touched (18 INT) at Level 4, followed by 20 INT at 8 and then something like Skill Expert/Chef/Resilient WIS (16 WIS) at 12 (or vice-versa at 8 and 12). Go with Variant High Half Elf to get another cantrip, which is quite handy on an Artificer whose cantrips are limited. Furthermore, a Battle Smith in particular is basically required to take the Mending cantrip anyway in order to repair/heal their Steel Defender, which only leaves them with 1 other class cantrip pick until Level 10(!), so that 3rd racial cantrip is even better.
    Last edited by RogueJK; 2022-05-26 at 09:30 AM.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Bugbear in the Playground

Your choice of race is more than just a collection of stats. Do you have a particular concept for what kind of custom lineage you'd be? For example, my Fey Touched Custom Lineage Bard is a Half Satyr.

Does the idea of roleplaying as any particular race interest you? You rolled well enough that any race would work well.

On a purely mechanical level, starting out with some odd stats is nice, it makes picking up half feats later more valuable.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Barbarian in the Playground

RangerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by solidork View Post
    Your choice of race is more than just a collection of stats. Do you have a particular concept for what kind of custom lineage you'd be? For example, my Fey Touched Custom Lineage Bard is a Half Satyr.

Does the idea of roleplaying as any particular race interest you? You rolled well enough that any race would work well.

On a purely mechanical level, starting out with some odd stats is nice, it makes picking up half feats later more valuable.
    I think I have been viewing race more for the mechanical benefit. Since I am unfamiliar with Spelljammer, I have struggled to tie myself to a "homeworld" to view the character from. So currently working as if form Ravnica, but wondering if Kaladesh would be easier to affix in my mind.

It is a good thing to consider though because I do like to reign in my desire to optimize when I can.