New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 13 1234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Obi-Wan Kenobi

1. - Top - End - #1
    Titan in the Playground

Default Obi-Wan Kenobi

So, word is they’ll be dropping the first two episodes at 3:01 am EST.

Despite everything with Disney+ the past year or so, I’m still feeling the feathery tickle of excitement.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Obi-Wan Kenobi

Very conflicted. I have faith in Ewan and Hayden, but I've seen little to get me hyped. On the other hand, do I want my first impressions to come from angry Youtubers?

3. - Top - End - #3
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Spoiler
    Show
    They're nailing Leia.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

4. - Top - End - #4
    Troll in the Playground

BarbarianGuy

Spoiler
    Show
    The opening scene is evoking some pretty strong emotions at this particular moment...this week's RL events have given the attack on the Jedi temple a context that is almost too much to bear, seeing it from the POV of the students...teachers shielding their students...I know these particular fictional students escaped, but we know how many of them didn't...maybe this isn't the right place, but I'm a wreck.

If anyone doesn't want imagery reminding them of the particular RL events of this week right this second, skip to around minute 6:10.
    Last edited by Thrudd; 2022-05-27 at 10:16 AM.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Orc in the Playground

GreataxeFighterGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    They're nailing Leia.
    Spoiler
    Show
    I rewatched a New Hope over the last couple days for prep and thought the new actress fit Leia's character in that movie well - lots of "into the garbage chute, flyboy" energy" if that makes sense, and a capable child actor.

Personally did not care for the Inquisitors knowing Vader's identity as Anakin - Obi Wan already learned his Sith name in Revenge of the Sith, they could have just said Vader and we would've gotten the same reaction from Ben.

Really loved the clone veteran and the charlatan "Jedi" in Episode 2

Also, was very surprised to see the Grand Inquisitor get run through - he'll have to survive to make his original debut in Rebels, so it's an odd fake out.
    Last edited by Sam113097; 2022-05-27 at 12:24 PM.
    Currently worldbuilding Port Demesne: A Safe Harbor in a Shattered World! If you have a moment, I would love your feedback!

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ettin in the Playground

So far, this is The Last Jedi if Luke had been convinced to leave his hiding spot. Grandpa is rambling about how the war is over, we lost, and he personally failed as a teacher, but he is doing so while firing blasters and throwing punches instead of milking cows.

"Ben" Kenobi > "Jake" Skywalker

7. - Top - End - #7

Quote Originally Posted by Sam113097 View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    I rewatched a New Hope over the last couple days for prep and thought the new actress fit Leia's character in that movie well - lots of "into the garbage chute, flyboy" energy" if that makes sense, and a capable child actor.

Personally did not care for the Inquisitors knowing Vader's identity as Anakin - Obi Wan already learned his Sith name in Revenge of the Sith, they could have just said Vader and we would've gotten the same reaction from Ben.

Really loved the clone veteran and the charlatan "Jedi" in Episode 2

Also, was very surprised to see the Grand Inquisitor get run through - he'll have to survive to make his original debut in Rebels, so it's an odd fake out.
    If I'd written more to start with, it'd pretty much have been everything you said there.

I'm definitely enjoying it. Which is great, since I was not very receptive to a Kenobi series to start with.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ettin in the Playground

I don't know - it is fine, perfectly watchable even somewhat enjoyable, but not all that good in my view (at least not yet).

Spoiler
    Show

The child playing Leia is doing a fine job - but they are doing a fine job of being an annoying child, and the focus on her is just kindof reminding me of the difference between Leia and Anakin or Padme, when Anakin was younger then her he was building droids, building podracers, doing his day job, gaining the skill to win at podraces and shortly afterwards blowing up space stations and was doing much of that with a lot less resources that Leia likely has access to, Padme was only a few years older then Leia when she was elected queen of her world and when she was younger then Leia she was taking active part in relief missions to disaster zones ... Leia just seems to be coming off short in comparison.
    Perhaps the Organa's are just not the same caliber of parents that Shmi Skywalker or Ruwee Naberrie were and are not fostering her development properly to live up to the achievements of her biological parents (which is fine, not every parent is equal).

I am also dubious about Bail Organa being able to find Obi-Wan in a cave - if he has that tracking ability he should likely have been able to track the kidnappers (and why would Obi-Wan give him the address it isn't like he would want to compromise his location for a drop in visit), and the fact that he claims to trust Obi-Wan around his daughter more then anyone (i.e his wife) seems suspect.

The inquisitors I am also dubious about - the Third Sister is messing with Palpatine's stuff which seems like a very bad idea and that she should know it is a very bad idea, this is of course seperate from the fact that trying to attract Vader's attention also seems like a very bad idea and that she should know that also, the others just seem somewhat bland, but I do wonder if they are going to break Rebel's continuity.

Seperately given the timeframe this takes place in Maul is presumedly still around so might get answers to the end of Solo element.

9. - Top - End - #9

Quote Originally Posted by dancrilis View Post
    when Anakin was younger than her he was... doing his day job
    That's certainly one way to describe slavery.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Titan in the Playground

First episode.

That…happened.

Spoiler: Inquistors, If You Say So
    Show
    Utterly unimpressed with any of the inquisitors. There’s no real sense of menace there. Acting is terrible, costumes not great, and the character design just isn’t working for any of them.

Special shout-out to the Grand Inquisitor, who looks like a mildly peeved marshmallow rather than a sinister implement of the Dark Side.

Spoiler: Who Ya Gonna Call?
    Show
    Oh, for frack’s sake. Seriously? Little Leia gets kidnapped, and Obi-Wan springs into action to find her?

If that’s the “twist,” I’m not impressed. And it’s beyond ridiculous that Leia wouldn’t have fifteen different trackers sewn into her clothing, and drone monitors following her everywhere. It simply shouldn’t be possible for three random dopey bounty hunters to get within a literal stone’s throw of her house.

Also, those guys are overpaid for what they deliver. If they can nail a house guard with a blaster shot, why can’t they use a stunner on a running kid?

And how exactly can Bail Organa just appear in Ben Kenobi’s cave? When not even Force-sensitive inquisitors can track Ben down? That’s jarringly Hollywood.

Second episode.

Also there.

Spoiler: Tips for Jedi on the Run
    Show
    1. Don’t wear clothing that looks identical to Jedi robes.

1a. Actually, don't show your face at all. Try a disguise for once?

So Obi-Wan gets accosted by two mediocre thugs. What, no Jedi mind trick?

And for that matter, shouldn’t the Force have led him straight to Leia, the way the Force conveniently leads everyone where they need to go? And warned him about the dummy before he fell for it?

Spoiler: 3:10 to Alderaan
    Show
    Tip #1 sure would be helpful right about now.

Also not walking around with a little kid who looks just like the one who was kidnapped. At least put her in a clothes hamper or something.

And why is Obi-Wan suddenly worse than a stormtrooper with a blaster? We know it's not his preferred weapon, but come on, he took out Grievous with one, he can manage a Spinosaurus bounty hunter in less than twenty-five shots.

Spoiler: Gut Feeling
    Show
    No Sith worth his salt would not have seen that coming. To say nothing of the Force, which is handy for letting you know things in advance.

At least Third Sister is gaining valuable experience standing on platforms with her lightsaber drawn, staring after fleeing starships with escaping people on board. That always looks great when applying to be Sith Lord.

Spoiler: Consequences
    Show
    So Mr. Totally-A-Jedi messes with Third Sister, and she lightsabers his spine takes off his arms blinds him with a ferocious swing just walks away?

Did she even read the manual?

Spoiler: Icebreakers at Sith Parties
    Show
    So is Vader now wearing a name tag saying “Hi, I’m Anakin Skywalker”?

How else does anyone know Vader’s identity? Darth Sidious christened him Vader, that should be the end of it. Given that no one sees his face while he’s working, and his only social life is in a bacta tank, I can’t see how Third Sister or anyone else knows who he is.

Not really enjoying this, just plowing through it…much the way I kept grinding my way through Eternals until I finally gave up.

It just feels very lackluster. During the first two episodes the one character I felt the most empathy for was the eopie.

Last edited by Palanan; 2022-05-27 at 02:58 PM.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Bugbear in the Playground

RogueGuy

Maybe I am just getting old and disgruntled. Maybe its time for a rocking chair, a shotgun, and a sign on my lawn that says stay off. Leia looked more like she was 6 then she looked 1o. Also, for the guy complaining about Ben being crap with the force. He hasn't really used it in 10 years I think. I am sure he has been actively suppressing it as well.

But I agree the show seems lackluster right now. I wouldn't say Ben Sprang into action. More as like meander to help. I like the vibe of it though, it almost feels like Unforgiven. Not in the same viciousness as the dude in it.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Barbarian in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Episode 1 should be required watching prior to any new Star Wars RPG players and GMs for force-sensitive characters, to illustrate the risks of using the Force in public.

Spoiler
    Show
    I'm wondering if Obi-Wan was going to let Owen die if the Grand Inquisitor hadn't stopped Third Sister; he didn't have his lightsaber on him, and might have been able to spirit Beru and Luke off before the Imperials found the farm.

So far, I've enjoyed it, though here my opinion is apparently in the minority.

Spoiler
    Show

I think Obi-Wan has more or less cut himself off from the Force, in order to hide, rather like Luke did in the ST. Maybe he's been doing a little training with Yoda and Qui-Gon, but I suspect maybe not for a while; it seemed like an effort to access it when he saves Leia from her fall. Since we see Vader sensed him at the end of Episode 2, that's likely why.

I'd heard that the Kenobi series was pushed back after the Mando release, with the Kenobi series initially written in a way it could have been seen as a retread of Mando, with Obi-Wan and Luke having an adventure. Having Leia as the McGuffin is an interesting choice, but I like it so far. The actress is really doing a good job so far, but yeah, she looks a little younger than 10.

The Inquisitors...it's kind of odd/funny, the rest of the Inquisitors are like "...dude, wth?" with Reva/Third Sister. "Sure, our job is killing Jedi and Force-sensitives, but you're just way too into this. You KNOW we have a limit for civilian torture and you're past that. I'm going to have to write you up AGAIN." I'm guessing there's something personal with her and Obi-Wan. The theory right now I've heard is she's one of the younglings from the intro, so maybe they ran into him in the Temple in that period when he and Yoda were there in RotS, and he didn't help her?

13. - Top - End - #13

NecromancerGuy

I was looking forward to Obi-wan with a quite a bit of anticipation, and so far it's lived up to its promise.

We've gotten a lot of 'show don't tell' which I both enjoy and respect the film-makers for. I can see a lot of stuff building, and I expect they're going to earn their big moments fairly, which will make them all the better. (The Last Jedi has a number of crowning moments of awesome, but they barely had time to build to them.) They've set the stage for a really great mini-series here. So far, they're on track to deliver.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Banned

Probably going to let at least the first season finish and reviews come in before I dive into this. I'm interested in seeing the non spoiler reviews here.

15. - Top - End - #15

Question Re: Obi-Wan Kenobi

Quote Originally Posted by Palanan View Post
    First episode.

That…happened.

Spoiler: Inquistors, If You Say So
    Show
    Utterly unimpressed with any of the inquisitors. There’s no real sense of menace there. Acting is terrible, costumes not great, and the character design just isn’t working for any of them.

Special shout-out to the Grand Inquisitor, who looks like a mildly peeved marshmallow rather than a sinister implement of the Dark Side.
    Considering those are existing characters, the designs are kind of locked in. For, like, a long time now. That's like complaining that Kenobi has a beard.
    Show
    If that’s the “twist,” I’m not impressed. And it’s beyond ridiculous that Leia wouldn’t have fifteen different trackers sewn into her clothing, and drone monitors following her everywhere. It simply shouldn’t be possible for three random dopey bounty hunters to get within a literal stone’s throw of her house.
    Notwithstanding that that's not a "twist" (why are you even expecting a twist?), the Star Wars universe does not work the way you think it does. That's not a problem with the universe. That'd a problem with your expectations (which have zero basis, since we've seen numerous important characters throughout numerous series and none of them have had what you think they should have had).

Show
    And how exactly can Bail Organa just appear in Ben Kenobi’s cave? When not even Force-sensitive inquisitors can track Ben down? That’s jarringly Hollywood.
    Spoiler: Seriously?
    Show
    Kenobi is watching Luke. Oh man, the hardship in trying to find a livable place somewhere near the Lars homestead. What, are you upset we didn't see Bail checking the three other caves in a fifty mile radius? This is hardly "jarringly Hollywood", this is a blatantly simple explanation that you apparently would rather gripe about than make basic assumptions.

Second episode.

Also there.

Show
    1. Don’t wear clothing that looks identical to Jedi robes.
    You mean Tatooine robes? The things that people on Tatooine regularly wear? Yeah, the audacity!

Show

And for that matter, shouldn’t the Force have led him straight to Leia, the way the Force conveniently leads everyone where they need to go? And warned him about the dummy before he fell for it?
    Spoiler: Seriously? Part 2, Electronic Boogaloo
    Show
    That doesn't happen. The closest it came to happening was on Dagobah which had numerous other sources that state Luke had a super simple time on his second voyage there after Bespin and he is convinced Yoda guided him to crash land nearby.

Again, this isn't a flaw in the Star Wars universe, this is you having bad assumptions for no reason and then being upset that your assumptions were wrong.

Spoiler: 3:10 to Alderaan
    Show
    And why is Obi-Wan suddenly worse than a stormtrooper with a blaster? We know it's not his preferred weapon, but come on, he took out Grievous with one, he can manage a Spinosaurus bounty hunter in less than twenty-five shots.
    Spoiler: I just can't even keep up with where you get these ideas anymore
    Show
    You're saying "why hasn't the man who shot a gun once, from five feet away, shot the experienced bounty hunter a hundred yards away?".

Imean, this is simply ridiculous at this point. There are valid criticisms against the show. You even hit upon a few of them, though I suspect that's more a case of throwing enough things against the wall and something will eventually stick. But man, most of your complaints are because you seem to want to watch something other than Star Wars and then you watch Star Wars and complain that it's being Star Wars.

16. - Top - End - #16

ElfRangerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Kyberwulf View Post
    Leia looked more like she was 6 then she looked 1o.
    The actress is 9, so even if she looks young here, they have picked someone very close to the right age for the character.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ettin in the Playground

That's certainly one way to describe slavery.
    Well he is a slave the entire time - whether he is building a droid or working in the shop.

I do wonder if Anakin might have been better off if the Qui-Gon Jinn had instead tested Shmi for her midi-chlorian count found it to be high and won her in the bet and taken her off for training instead.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Spamalot in the Playground

Watched the first two episodes last night and I enjoyed it. The child playing Leia definitely got that character's energy pretty well. I think one of the strongest bits of these series is all the set pieces they take place on. The tech is futuristic to us, yet for them worn and used. The city streets were crowded with people. I've enjoyed all the places we gotten to see in the various series they came out with so far.

Show
    So Obi-Wan gets accosted by two mediocre thugs. What, no Jedi mind trick?
    Spoiler: Tips on the run
    Show
    Force sensitive people can sense other force-sensitive people, so it made sense to me that Kenobi wouldn't use his powers or else they'd track him down faster.
    Digo Dragon - Artist
    D&D 5e Homebrew: My Little Pony Races

19. - Top - End - #19
    Titan in the Playground

Originally Posted by Telwar
    Spoiler
    Show
    I think Obi-Wan has more or less cut himself off from the Force, in order to hide, rather like Luke did in the ST. Maybe he's been doing a little training with Yoda and Qui-Gon, but I suspect maybe not for a while; it seemed like an effort to access it when he saves Leia from her fall. Since we see Vader sensed him at the end of Episode 2, that's likely why.
    Originally Posted by DigoDragon
    Spoiler
    Show
    Force sensitive people can sense other force-sensitive people, so it made sense to me that Kenobi wouldn't use his powers or else they'd track him down faster.
    Spoiler
    Show
    That does make sense, and it’s at least consistent with Luke isolating himself on the temple island forty years later.

But it still feels odd to me, at least in my understanding of the Force. Those who are inherently stronger in the Force should always stand out, the way a strong gravity well can’t help its own mass or the effects of that mass. Remember that in ANH, all it takes is Ben's presence on the Falcon for Vader to sense him, rather than any exertion with Force abilities per se. And if Ben is so skilled at suppressing his Force signature, especially against Vader, why doesn't he do that in ANH?

Even given the need to maintain radio silence, as it were, I’d think that a very subtle misdirection would draw less attention than, say, a drawn-out fistfight. Ben got Vader’s attention by the exceptional effort it took him to stop Leia’s fall, but clearly in that moment he was casting caution to the wind and giving it his all. I’d think that a brief misdirect, which affects only the target’s mind and not a falling body, would be faint enough not to register.

Originally Posted by dancrilis
    I do wonder if Anakin might have been better off if the Qui-Gon Jinn had instead tested Shmi for her midi-chlorian count found it to be high and won her in the bet and taken her off for training instead.
    No. She is too old, too set in her ways.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ettin in the Playground

Planetar

Well, it's only 1 episode in, split in half, but I like being a curmudgeon, so why not.

Spoiler
    Show
    Of everyone I think Ewan McGregor comes off the worst in this show. Good an actor as he is, they didn't give him much to work with in the Prequel Trilogy, and he had even less to work with here. There just isn't that much happening with Obi-Wan's character apart from his waking PTSD moment when he realises Anakin's still alive. Mediocre writing aside, that's because he suffers most from the inherent problem with prequels and attempts to fill-in the unknown history of established characters: we know where the character has to end up, which cuts down the likelihood of emotional side trips for the character over the unknown years. Or it makes characters' emotional side trips go way past the point of plausibility, i.e. Luke in The Last Star Wars Film, not that I'll get into it here.

By contrast, Joel Edgerton actually did look and sound like someone with 10 years of dust down his throat since we last met him. He's convincingly somewhere halfway between Joel at the end of ROTS and Phil Brown in ANH. He was the best part of the show.

As unfortunately expected, they spent too much time on the 'member-berries and fanservice so it could look like it fitted somewhere in the IP, cough, sorry, the Galaxy Far Far Away. The Mandalorian, despite being generally average, did this better. It had enough of the iconography without forcing you back into the movies. I wish they spent less time digging up old props from Episode 1 and more on a better script and filling in some of the plotholes in what was apparently meant to be the climax of the second part.

This thing has a TV budget and it shows, mainly in the pacing and the story. Hence Bail magically appearing in the Outer Rim and Obi-Wan overriding 10 years' worth of reticence without turning much of an eyebrow. Oh, I'm sure the arguments will all be "BuT hE FeeLs LiKE BeiNG a JEdi AfTer ThE FuGITIve GetS CauGHT AnD LUke IS showING SiGnS Of FoRcE Use" ... well, there's subtle scripts, and then there's sledgehammer scripts, and this wasn't in the former category. Maybe I'd be less apathetic about the whole thing if I hadn't seen the same character arc done better by better writers over the years.

And sorry, the scene with Obi-Wan digging up the old lightsabers just was Fail. Good idea; I especially liked the idea that Anakin and Ben's sabers are buried together, as in, they're always going to be linked as characters, they can't even be separated in death. However, they're buried in a completely undefined, anonymous spot, in the middle of a sand dune, not one landmark around. Obi-Wan goes right to the spot, no thirty paces south, twenty paces left of the old Krayt Dragon skeleton. I bet the writer thought he was being clever doing that: "Obi-Wan puts it somewhere completely unrecognisable so nobody else will find it!" Right. What, was he using the Force (apparently not, as the next episode seems to be telling us?) or does he have eidetic memory or something? You're really telling me on a planet where sand moves, that's why they're called dunes, that you could walk to where you buried something ten years back with the perfect accuracy he is implied to have in this? It just ripped me clean out of the scene. They did that just for the sake of an image, same problem that turned The Last Star Wars Film into a hilarious mess: building images they think will look iconic devoid of actual connection with a story or a universe we can understand. "BuT OBi-WAn KNows ThE DEserT, He KNOws ExaCTLY WHere He LEft THEM!" Please. Stop writing the dude's script for him and start asking yourself why they couldn't build a script with visceral thrills as opposed to producing storyboards they desperately hoped would look kind of inspiring?

It also clearly doesn't want to trangress Disney Corporate-Approved limits on tone, which are set to match Marvel!dark levels, i.e.e. PG unless you are given specific licence to go dark with a capital D, i.e.e. Sam Raimi and the Winter Soldier movie.

Had they portrayed Obi-Wan as noticeably more dark or apathetic than he was - maybe give him a drinking problem or something - then his one-episode character turnaround might have been a bit more justified or clearer. But -- because the fish-@$$-tight budget clearly was spent on CGI and greenscreens rather than a solid, thought-through story, and because Disney Corporate won't allow "beloved" characters to be shown having actual interesting, clearly understandable flaws, we got this thing which feels like the Mandalorian but so far isn't anywhere near as interesting.

5/10, it's another big serve of premium mediocre that we've come to expect from Netflix/Disney/Prime/most streaming channels: enough to chew gum to, not enough to evoke real emotional interest or investmnt. I'm hoping that for Keva they're not going to just retread the Second Sister's story from Fallen Order -- that did have some emotional punch by the end -- but that sure looks like where it's heading.

21. - Top - End - #21

Spoiler
    Show
    Ben got Vader’s attention by the exceptional effort it took him to stop Leia’s fall
    Typo?
    Spoiler
    Show
    There's no indication Vader knows anything about Kenobi.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Ettin in the Playground

Typo?
    Spoiler
    Show
    There's no indication Vader knows anything about Kenobi.
    There seems to be a theory (and not one I adhere too):
    Spoiler
    Show

The earliest mention of it on this here was:
    Quote Originally Posted by Telwar View Post
    Since we see Vader sensed him at the end of Episode 2, that's likely why.
    I find that highly suspect personally and hold that Vader was shown not because 'he sensed Kenobi' and more intended as setup for the next episode(s).

Time will tell (or it won't).

23. - Top - End - #23

Quote Originally Posted by dancrilis View Post
    There seems to be a theory (and not one I adhere too):
    Spoiler
    Show

The earliest mention of it on this here was:

I find that highly suspect personally and hold that Vader was shown not because 'he sensed Kenobi' and more intended as setup for the next episode(s).

Time will tell (or it won't).
    Ah, I getcha. I completely agree with you there, btw.

24. - Top - End - #24

Quote Originally Posted by Tarmor View Post
    The actress is 9, so even if she looks young here, they have picked someone very close to the right age for the character.
    Agreed. And Carrie Fisher was 5'1". My 11 year old may be 5'1" but young Princess Leia was probably not one of the taller ppl in her class.

25. - Top - End - #25

Sadly, the show is more meh than not so far, which is a shame. Shout out to the baby-in-diapers running style of little Leia.

I personally don't look forward to seeing Christiensen as Vader, at all. The Anakin in the prequels more or less killed Darth Vader for me, whenever I watch the OT I have to make an effort to forget the Anakin we got. These days I just happen to be reading The Name of the Wind for the first time and, halfway through, to me the way Kvothe is portrayed there is how a young Anakin should have been.
    "Like the old proverb says, if one sees something not right, one must draw out his sword to intervene"

26. - Top - End - #26

ClericGuy

Generally enjoyed it. Three minor annoyances:

Spoiler: Chase Scenes
    Show

I don't know what the Star Wars shows problem is with chase scenes, but it continues here. The multiple adults chasing the very small child for a very long time was extremely unconvincingly shot, at least to me. And what a missed opportunity, they call out her climbing skills, then have her run away from the bad guys?

Spoiler: Grand Inquisitor
    Show

Wow, the Grand Inquisitor costume did not work. I realize that the poor actor needs to have his head not be flattened, but maybe don't use that character. He was totally irrelevant. Literally anyone could have acted as the obstructive superior to Third Sister. Also, then there wouldn't be the utter lack of belief that this character would actually die here (also, way to undercut a major character in another show).

Spoiler: Third Sister
    Show

I found it actively confusing that Fake Jedi chose to confront Third Sister? What was that possible going to accomplish? And why, besides the fact that he's clearly a character with a future storyline, did he survive it?
    Last edited by ecarden; 2022-05-28 at 10:34 PM.

27. - Top - End - #27

Flumph

Enjoyed it more than I was expecting really. My goodness but that girl is a joy and I don't care how far off canon we get if it brings us the Adventures of Ben and Lil' Leia.

Just some thoughts on prior commentary.

Spoiler: On the Third Sister's knowledge
    Show
    That was pretty clearly her in the opening, so I'm assuming she runs into Obi-Wan, Vader, or both shortly afterwards before getting snatched up by the Inquisitors. Anakin being Vader could just be knowledge she has that the other Inquisitors don't

Spoiler: Character development
    Show
    Watching this I realized a purpose for the show I think the filmmakers hit on that I didn't consider. The Obi-Wan here has pretty much given up, making only weak gestures at eventually training Luke, unable to contact Qui-Gon, being pretty cut off from the Force, etc. Pretty much unlike the Ben we see in ANH or Rebels for that matter.

I'm guessing the point is that Obi-Wan was likely headed down the road Luke was in TLJ, and it will be nice seeing what gives him the hope that things can get better again, leading to the more confident Obi-Wan from the original film.

Spoiler: Generally I like the Inquisitors, but....
    Show
    I really hope we don't see them pull that helicopter move from Rebels. I'd be quite happy just forgetting they can do that.

I'm kind of getting a kick out of the continuing portrayal of the Grand Inquisitor as someone who does a lot of posing as a terrifying figure, but goes down in a fight real easy. I guess he's a thing now though with him appearing in the Jedi: Fallen Order sequel.

I'm still half hoping Sara Michelle Gellar turns up as the Seventh Sister in live action, but I suppose that's hoping too much.

Consider me eager for more.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Dwarf in the Playground

PirateGuy

star wars plot and character development
    Stop writing letters to Viswanathan Anand.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Titan in the Playground

All watched up after being out of town for the weekend.

On net I quite enjoyed it. I think my biggest worry was that it would feel superfluous, but, by explaining how Leia knows Obi-Wan it avoids that fate. It might yet end up there, but early on it feels like a mostly plausible insertion between Episodes 3 and 4.

So what works:

Ewan McGregor is excellent, and also the part I was most looking forwards to. I think this is the first performance in any Star Wars anything that is really, genuinely impressive. Lucas era Star Wars suffered from all of Lucas' well-documented issues, and the although the Disney stuff is less bad, it also never has really exceeded a sort of basic "surprising thing happens, character looks surprised" level. Everyone reacts appropriately, but there's about as much sense of interiority as a garden shed. McGregor really makes this shattered man both believable in his own right, and a believable transition to the Alec Guinness version of the character. I really love what he's doing here.

Young Leia is also good, although maybe a little.... overtuned personality-wise.

We got off of Tatooine fairly quickly, thank God. If we never set another SW thing there, I'll be just fine and dandy.

What doesn't work:
    Spoiler
    Show

The Inquisitors are bad. They aren't intimidating, they aren't interesting, they're just dull. Also their dialog sucks. Lucas wrote some clunky lines, but at least he had a sort of classic, arch feel to his stuff, this is just C-tier bad. Third Sister, cop on the edge who just refuses to play by the rules is legit the worst thing in the show. I think the actress is fine, but her lines make Padme and Anakin's romance sound eloquent and subtle.

And let's not talk about the evil parkour with Dutch angles bit.

Also bad, the obvious padding to fill up a TV show's run time. Best example, the extended bit where the bounty hunters are chasing Leia. If the scene had hard cut the first time they had her surrounded, it would have been effective and allowed them to be at least vaguely intimidating. Instead we get a bit without any tension or point, except to fill up some minutes in a very cheap to film way.

Somebody should explain to Disney that color correction is a thing, and movies do not have to look like concrete. The flashback shots of the prequels are gorgeous and vibrant, and the new stuff looks awful by comparison. Maybe it's a stylistic choice to sell Obi-Wan's emotional state, but Boba Fett (and every Marvel movie since they switched to digital) also looked the same brand of ass so I don't think so.

But overall I quite like it. It seems like it might have a story worth telling, which makes it pretty unusual for Disney era Star Wars.
    Blood-red were his spurs i' the golden noon; wine-red was his velvet coat,
    When they shot him down on the highway,
    Down like a dog on the highway,
    And he lay in his blood on the highway, with the bunch of lace at his throat.

Alfred Noyes, The Highwayman, 1906.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Ettin in the Playground

Well the third episode is out - it was broadly fine (could be argued higher or lower).

Spoiler: Thoughts
    Show

Vader carries more weight then the inquisitors but didn't like how he was used - murdering randomers for no reason, not able to walk around the fire in time (or just not choosing too).

We seem to be expected to think that the grand inquisitor is dead which is either a bluff or discontinunity - if it is a bluff then I don't see people who didn't watch rebels caring at all about him returning later in the series if it is discontinunity then it seems a very odd choice to have him in the series at all when the role of boss inquisitor could have been given to someone else.

Obi-Wan and Leia combined to screw themselves over - Obi-Wan not trusting the meeting site and Leia immediately flagging down the first person they see, without either of those they would seem to have been fully fine.

Vader deciding to burn Obi-Wan was fairly interesting - so will give them credit for that idea.

But I am not seeing where 'when I left you I was but the learner, now I am the master' plays into this - they wouldn't get the visuals they wanted but think things would have been better if Vader and Obi-Wan never met until the Death Star - they could still have Vader be looking for him if they wanted him in the series.