New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast

Thread: Obi-Wan Kenobi

1. - Top - End - #151
    Troll in the Playground

BarbarianGuy

Default Re: Obi-Wan Kenobi

Quote Originally Posted by Keltest View Post
    Not really sure why youre expecting to convince him by repeating the behavior that caused him to ignore your post in the first place.
    *shrug* couldn't care less. We're talking about Star Wars, for cripe's sake, nothing should be serious here. Apparently he got upset that I said something slightly critical of the OT, insulted me by suggesting that I hadn't even watched the movies (as if that's possible), and misinterpreted my joke as though I was dumb enough to actually think Stormtroopers were supposed to be good guys. Then *gasp*, I called him "dude" before trying to re-explain my critique about how bad/dumb the script makes the Stormtroopers look. What a horrible level of discourse I have sunk to, not treating this discussion with the academic rigor and seriousness it deserves. lol Not trying to stir trouble, I guess I'm just not that sort of fan anymore. I'm not trying to insult anyone for liking Star Wars, I love it, too, flaws and all.
    Last edited by Thrudd; 2022-06-11 at 09:50 AM.

2. - Top - End - #152
    Bugbear in the Playground

Watched the first three episodes. They're alright. I think McGregor's acting and some of the directing are the real highlights, but the script is really shaky and some of the dialogue is just... not good.

McGregor really nails the depiction of a character who's disillusioned, clearly dealing with some off-the-charts PTSD, and a shell of the guy he used to be. The amount of character and emotion he's able to convey in just a single look really speaks to his talent as an actor, and they're using that well here, even if a lot of the dialogue is, at best, serviceable and not particularly great. Some of it, though, hot damn. It's cheesy even compared to the original trilogy (I don't remember much about the sequels and the prequels cross the line from cheesy to garbage way too often with their dialogue).

The villains are kind of goofy and not all that effective. I wanted to like Third Sister more given all the crap her actress has had to deal with, and I do appreciate how effectively she portrays that vibe of someone who started at the very bottom but now has the power and the hunger to be more, but the script just doesn't make her come across as formidable or intimidating. I do want to learn more about her connection to Kenobi though.

And yeah like some folks have pointed out there are some bone-headed decisions made to further the plot, and sometimes they don't even actually further the plot. Like that chase scene with Leia? What was that? Or the totally unnecessary parkour from Third Sister in that one scene? Just weird and contributed nothing. I'm a little baffled at why everyone here seems to be flipping out about the incongruity between the encounter between Kenobi and Vader in the third episode and their encounter in the first movie. It's pretty obvious that they're gonna meet again, it's not like it's that one encounter and then cut straight to 'When I left you I was but the learner'. Or maybe 'when I left you' means when Vader ceased to be Kenobi's apprentice, not when they met last.

Overall it's okay. I really dig McGregor's acting, and the acting of some of the others is solid too (kid Leia and Third Sister). But the script is hit-or-miss and the dialogue isn't great. I started watching the Mandalorian around the same time and I'm much more invested in that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay R View Post
    : THOG NOW SCHRÖDINGER's ORC!
    Quote Originally Posted by skim172 View Post
    If you ever see Hitler riding a T-Rex in your direction - you, my friend, are a very unlucky person.
    Quote Originally Posted by noparlpf View Post
    "Ooh. Did you bring a biology textbook with you? No? Sorry, nothing personal." And then I dissect them.

3. - Top - End - #153
    Dwarf in the Playground

I won't lie, I actually would have preferred a Bail Organa-centric show, with a side of Kenobi saving Leia than a Kenobi show with a side of Bail.

4. - Top - End - #154
    Ettin in the Playground

Planetar

Spoiler: Double Huh.
    Show

Did they change scriptwriter and director or something?

Don't get me wrong, Episode 5 still had plotholes, the most notable of which was Darth Vader exhausting his Dark Side Force Fuel Tank after one pulldown and not just doing ... exactly the same thing five seconds later. Obi-Wan once again gets away more or less because the plot says he has to. Third Sister lives for no reason other than because the plot says so - even though two episodes earlier, randomers doing nothing but Netflix and chilling in their houses get critical spinal realignments, and Vader's executed admirals for a lot less. Also amusing to note that Leia at ten years old can apparently pull a restraining bolt off with her bare hands while it takes Luke a lot of futzing around with a screwdriver to get one off R2-D2.

That aside. This was a bit more like it. C+ rather than a C- like we've been getting for the rest of the series.

I collapsed to the floor laughing at the choice of squeezing beefy manly, 41-year-old, wide-jawed Hayden Christensen into the Backstreet Boys costume he wore as a 21 year old in AOTC and expecting us to buy it. Then I put my hilarity aside and let them try to tell the story. And as said, it wasn't bad. Economical; they tell the story of the episode through the medium of a lightsaber duel back in the prequel era. They also let Hayden Christensen act a bit, which was nice; the guy clearly has learned one or two things since the 'faster, more intense' days.

I found it refreshing that for once they didn't make Vader look like he was under any sort of serious threat from Reva. And her storyline at least makes some sense thus far. Now it comes down to the last episode and whether we get a Second Sister ending or a Darth Maul style ending (either the Rebels one or the non-canon one where Darth Maul comes back to Tatooine, fights Obi-Wan at the Lars homestead, and ultimately gets taken out by Owen with a heavy blaster.)

More thoughts later, but ... well, didn't suck. If we had at least this quality from the start and several more episodes to develop the plot more it might've actually been good.

5. - Top - End - #155
    Barbarian in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Saintheart View Post
    Show

Did they change scriptwriter and director or something?

Spoiler: Maybe?
    Show
    I did a little digging after being underwhelmed by the story to date. (It's fine to watch, but at the same time I'm increasingly feeling like I'm watching a squandered opportunity.) Dave Filoni and Jon Favreau didn't have much to do with this, and that's increasingly obvious.

But what I did find is that they went through at least two major writers, with two more contributing. And supposedly the beginning and end of the series are mostly the first writer's material.

6. - Top - End - #156
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Show
    Don't get me wrong, Episode 5 still had plotholes, the most notable of which was Darth Vader exhausting his Dark Side Force Fuel Tank after one pulldown and not just doing ... exactly the same thing five seconds later.
    Spoiler
    Show
    The second ship getting away was almost as bad as the first ship not. For a second I thought it would be a nice callback to ESB when the Falcon escapes under almost exactly the same circumstance, but now it's just stupid for Vader to have not caught the Falcon on Hoth.

I knew the series would dilute Obi-Wan in the original movie, but I wasn't expecting it to dilute random parts of the rest of the trilogy.

Show
    Also amusing to note that Leia at ten years old can apparently pull a restraining bolt off with her bare hands while it takes Luke a lot of futzing around with a screwdriver to get one off R2-D2.
    Spoiler
    Show
    I can snap a toothpick in half but have a little more trouble with a dowel. The restraining bolts were very differently sized on very differently sized droids.

That being said, I'm still enjoying it. But dang have they made some really bad decisions. I can't wait for Taika Waititi's take on the universe.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

7. - Top - End - #157
    Ettin in the Playground

Planetar

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    The second ship getting away was almost as bad as the first ship not. For a second I thought it would be a nice callback to ESB when the Falcon escapes under almost exactly the same circumstance, but now it's just stupid for Vader to have not caught the Falcon on Hoth.

I knew the series would dilute Obi-Wan in the original movie, but I wasn't expecting it to dilute random parts of the rest of the trilogy.
    Spoiler
    Show
    If I'm being honest I'm almost buying the idea (not stated on film, my own desperate headcanon) that Vader's been nursing his hatred for Obi-Wan to the point of incandescence because it makes him capable of this sort of feat -- since anger/rage fuels the Dark Side. The catch is that it only works this powerfully so long as his focus is on Obi-Wan. Thus Ben's deduction - the first bit of subtlety I've seen in the show so far - that Reva might get close to Vader because Vader's focus will be laser-like on Obi-Wan so it fuels his access to the Dark Side.

Thus a weak possible explanation for why Vader didn't/couldn't capture the Falcon on Hoth - because it was just another day at the villains' office for him, there wasn't a source of high emotion in it for him to pull out Force Unleashed levels of power.

But as said, the whole idea is undercut because having brought one ship down, he lets the next one get away mainly because the plot says so. And my headcanon doesn't stand up because Vader should be even more enraged by being tricked by Obi-Wan and thus able to pull off the same thing again. There might be some argument that he's exhausted by taking down the first vessel - there are slight grunts and snarls on the soundtrack - but that's the problem working with a fully-masked character, you have to show he's tapped out in some other way. The OT had Vader's artificial breathing speed up and slow down during duels or combat to show he was exerting himself, it's a pity they didn't think to do that here.

And while the quality of story was slightly better this time, it's still going to be a big leap to join up this Obi-Wan and this Vader with the characterisations we see in ANH. About the cheapest ways I can think of to pull this off in the last episode are to have parallel scenes where Obi-Wan talks to suspiciously-absent-Qui-Gon-Jinn and/or Yoda, and Vader having a conversation with surprise guest Ian McDiarmid as Palpatine, about how letting go of the past (whether fearing it as Obi-Wan does, or feeding on it as Vader does) is an important step forward in true mastery of the Force.

Scenes of this kind between Vader and Palpatine turn up a lot in the comics and the old EU, to the point where you wonder whether the path to true Sithdom is a six hundred step plan or Palpatine is just pulling stuff out of his @$$ to keep Vader under control (and frankly the latter option is much more satisfying as a story). But it would kind of wrap things up or leave the audience to say to itself, "Okay, both Obi-Wan and Vader have now done away with the obsessions that held them back, they can go on to mature into power-hungry tyrant and wise guardian mentor respectively."

I just doubt we'll get that. Or we'll get it, but not done right.

Also, I wish they didn't just have Reva wait until Vader was all nice and rested up from ship-pulling and ready to take her on. It would've been a better statement on her character if she had attacked Vader while he was pulling the ship down and distracted.

8. - Top - End - #158

Spoiler
    Show
    If I'm being honest I'm almost buying the idea (not stated on film, my own desperate headcanon) that Vader's been nursing his hatred for Obi-Wan to the point of incandescence because it makes him capable of this sort of feat -- since anger/rage fuels the Dark Side. The catch is that it only works this powerfully so long as his focus is on Obi-Wan. Thus Ben's deduction - the first bit of subtlety I've seen in the show so far - that Reva might get close to Vader because Vader's focus will be laser-like on Obi-Wan so it fuels his access to the Dark Side.

Thus a weak possible explanation for why Vader didn't/couldn't capture the Falcon on Hoth - because it was just another day at the villains' office for him, there wasn't a source of high emotion in it for him to pull out Force Unleashed levels of power.

But as said, the whole idea is undercut because having brought one ship down, he lets the next one get away mainly because the plot says so. And my headcanon doesn't stand up because Vader should be even more enraged by being tricked by Obi-Wan and thus able to pull off the same thing again. There might be some argument that he's exhausted by taking down the first vessel - there are slight grunts and snarls on the soundtrack - but that's the problem working with a fully-masked character, you have to show he's tapped out in some other way. The OT had Vader's artificial breathing speed up and slow down during duels or combat to show he was exerting himself, it's a pity they didn't think to do that here.

And while the quality of story was slightly better this time, it's still going to be a big leap to join up this Obi-Wan and this Vader with the characterisations we see in ANH. About the cheapest ways I can think of to pull this off in the last episode are to have parallel scenes where Obi-Wan talks to suspiciously-absent-Qui-Gon-Jinn and/or Yoda, and Vader having a conversation with surprise guest Ian McDiarmid as Palpatine, about how letting go of the past (whether fearing it as Obi-Wan does, or feeding on it as Vader does) is an important step forward in true mastery of the Force.

Scenes of this kind between Vader and Palpatine turn up a lot in the comics and the old EU, to the point where you wonder whether the path to true Sithdom is a six hundred step plan or Palpatine is just pulling stuff out of his @$$ to keep Vader under control (and frankly the latter option is much more satisfying as a story). But it would kind of wrap things up or leave the audience to say to itself, "Okay, both Obi-Wan and Vader have now done away with the obsessions that held them back, they can go on to mature into power-hungry tyrant and wise guardian mentor respectively."

I just doubt we'll get that. Or we'll get it, but not done right.

Also, I wish they didn't just have Reva wait until Vader was all nice and rested up from ship-pulling and ready to take her on. It would've been a better statement on her character if she had attacked Vader while he was pulling the ship down and distracted.
    Spoiler
    Show
    That would also have helped with the other shop escaping. Vader’s attention split and he couldn't get to it in time. Still

9. - Top - End - #159
    Banned

I've always preferred the concept that Vader's strength comes from hate....self hatred. This is why he doesn't get healed, and lives in constant suffering. He knows he deserves to, and it also fuels his power. That's probably a bit too complicated for Disney storytelling though.
    Last edited by Anteros; 2022-06-16 at 12:05 AM.

10. - Top - End - #160
    Ettin in the Playground

Planetar

Quote Originally Posted by Anteros View Post
    I've always preferred the concept that Vader's strength comes from hate....self hatred. This is why he doesn't get healed, and lives in constant suffering. He knows he deserves to, and it also fuels his power. That's probably a bit too complicated for Disney storytelling though.
    Eureka! That's why Vader never catches anybody! If he fails, it allows him to hate himself more, and thus makes him stronger with the Dark Side!

At least now I know why my favourite sports teams can do telekinesis in the off-season but suck the moment they step on a patch of green grass larger than a front lawn.

11. - Top - End - #161
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler: Wishlist that will not happen
    Show
    Abject humiliation of DV in the final ep, on par with Kenobi in Ep 3, a resounding defeat in a lightsabre fight where he has to be rescued by Inquisitors. But they'll never do it.

12. - Top - End - #162
    Titan in the Playground

Planetar

Spoiler
    Show

In terms of the pull down, this is twice in-canon when Vader could have done this and didn't -- once in Rogue One, when the rebel corvette escaped right in front of him with the plans, the second time in ESB, when he didn't just stop the Falcon.

Actually, there's a third time -- the battle of Yavin. Why did Vader bother climbing into his TIE and shooting down rebel craft when he should have just gone into his meditation chamber and used the dark side to throw them into the sides of the trench? There was no need for the dramatic chase scene at all.

For that matter, why did the Emperor bother building a Death Star when he could throw any planet into the Sun from his throne on Coruscant?

Out-of-universe, it's power creep as more writers explore more and more things that can be done with the Force.

If we want to rationalize it in-universe, I would say that somewhere between this prequel and Episode IV Vader came across a compelling reason why he should rely on mundane methods rather than over-the-top displays of Force Power. He doesn't do it later in the trilogy because he has a better sense of the cost of his actions, and is therefore more willing to use the Force economically.

Or ... Force use is closely linked to belief in the Star Wars Trilogy. Luke can't lift an X-wing in Episode 5 because he believes it can't be done, and this cripples his abilities. Yoda KNOWS he can and has no problems.

Perhaps somewhere along the line Vader suffered a crisis of confidence and no longer believes he's capable of such feats?

Respectfully,

Brian P.
    Last edited by pendell; 2022-06-16 at 10:09 AM.
    "Every lie we tell incurs a debt to the truth. Sooner or later, that debt is paid."

-Valery Legasov in Chernobyl

13. - Top - End - #163
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Sapphire Guard View Post
    Spoiler: Wishlist that will not happen
    Show
    Abject humiliation of DV in the final ep, on par with Kenobi in Ep 3, a resounding defeat in a lightsabre fight where he has to be rescued by Inquisitors. But they'll never do it.
    Spoiler
    Show
    It's the only way that the "I was the learner" line would make any sense but then that ship has failed for Leia's "you fought alongside my father" line so...

14. - Top - End - #164

Quote Originally Posted by LeSwordfish View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    It's the only way that the "I was the learner" line would make any sense but then that ship has failed for Leia's "you fought alongside my father" line so...
    Let's not forget
    Spoiler
    Show
    "Obi-Wan Kenobi? Obi-Wan.... Now that's a name I've not heard in a long time. A long time."

Followed closely by:

"I haven't gone by the name of Obi-Wan since, oh, before you were born. "

15. - Top - End - #165
    Ettin in the Playground

3 episdes in.. I am entertained, but I do have a few criticisms...

1)as a short guy living in a land of giants, I often struggle to keep up when they walk fast. it is utterly ridiculous to me that Leia, who is half the size of the people chasing her, seem to be able to run fast enough for them to not catch up. them being trained soldiers/warriors and such.
    Third Sister's pointless rooftop run was pointless and over-dramatic. her acting is also... a bit meh.

2)she knows what automated cargo ship they are on, has her own vessel (or can use one) that is probably a lot faster, has probably access to the ship's manifest at a moment's notice, yet still they can't intercept the ship or get to Mapuzo before Obi Wan does?

3) there must be something in the air on Mapuzo, because from the moment they land, Obi Wan is a whiny little bitch.
    He lets Leia take control of them meeting Freck, she has to come up with their story, he is the one who slips up almost blowing their cover... and he throws a huffy when he doesn't find somebody waiting for them at the rendez-vous point. that's the guy Organa trusts with rescuing his daughter.

4)Leia and Indira Varma's character run through a tunnel, halfway through Indira doubles back, third sister is also in the tunnel, but somehow they do not meet, instead third sister manages to slip past track running olympian Leia, kill the pilot and wait for her to reach her... all through the same tunnel.

5)the loading droid who is "on their side" is the most awkward, Power Rangers levels of "dude in a costume who can't be arsed to even pretend he is not a man in a costume"... he moves, stands, bends, shifts like a man in a costume, in a world where droids and such actually do move in distinctively and recognizable "artificial" ways.
    All hail Smutmulch for crafting my avatar!
    Quote Originally Posted by kpenguin View Post
    Cursed zombies are more realistic.
    Spoiler: siggatar and previous avatars.
    Show

the Badass Monkby Avi. Aktarus by Chd. Dehro by Wojiz

16. - Top - End - #166
    Bugbear in the Playground

RogueGuy

Whose to say that he isn't a dude in a mach suit. Also

Ben Kenobi isn't going by Obi wan. Everyone ELSE is calling him Obi. He keeps trying to correct then and saying he is Ben. Also he has been in isolation on Tattoine for so long. I know he is around people, he is still in Isolation though. That's what the whole "routine" was about in the first couple episodes. The reason he isn't engaging really with anyone is because he has had his whole world shattered. Ten years of not using the force and wallowing in his defeat can really do a number on your confidence.

On the subject of people spamming abilities.

There is reason to believe Force users can auto spam abilities

People are acting like it doesn't take any real effort to use it. Also that is ONE of Anakin's major characters flaws. He is aggressive and doesn't look forward.

17. - Top - End - #167

Quote Originally Posted by Kyberwulf View Post
    Ben Kenobi isn't going by Obi wan. Everyone ELSE is calling him Obi. He keeps trying to correct then and saying he is Ben. Also he has been in isolation on Tattoine for so long. I know he is around people, he is still in Isolation though. That's what the whole "routine" was about in the first couple episodes. The reason he isn't engaging really with anyone is because he has had his whole world shattered. Ten years of not using the force and wallowing in his defeat can really do a number on your confidence.
    A.) you're making a distinction without a difference regarding being called Obi-Wan.
    2.) there's also his appearance in Rebels, where he is perfectly confident and using the Force just fine. I didn't say this was the the first thing that washed out the original movie, just that its picking up the ball and continuing to run with it.

18. - Top - End - #168
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kyberwulf View Post
    Whose to say that he isn't a dude in a mach suit.
    He has a droid designation and Leia makes a point of introducing her droid to him/it.

As for your other point, no.
    A Jedi master, former diplomat, general of the clones wars who had spent the last 10 years watching over Luke from a distance and protecting him does not need to be handheld and steamrolled by a ten year old child. Not even when he's been social distancing for ten years.
    All hail Smutmulch for crafting my avatar!
    Quote Originally Posted by kpenguin View Post
    Cursed zombies are more realistic.
    Spoiler: siggatar and previous avatars.
    Show

the Badass Monkby Avi. Aktarus by Chd. Dehro by Wojiz

19. - Top - End - #169
    Ettin in the Playground

Episode 5 - I will give it some credit it started looking like it might be good, pity it went down hill.

Spoiler: Episode 5
    Show

Ok so Vader grants the Third Sister the rank of Grand Inquisitor - consider what this means for a moment, Vader knows the original Grand Inquisitor is alive and is fine with him, and is apparently keeping him in storage so that he can make a reveal to The Third Sister when she makes her move, either making everything else in this episode meaningless - everything was a trick for The Third Sister not an attempt to capture Kenobi - or meaning that the Grand Inquisitor was merely stalking The Third Sister the whole time waiting to pop out and reveal himself.

At my first thought of the door that was protecting them for the stormtroopers 'use your laser sword to cut through it' but I relented, maybe it is a special material door, or just very thick or something so they need a gun to shoot it alright fine I can suspend my disbelief - but no the correct answer was to cut through it with the lightsaber.

Third Sister's plan - she have survived Order 66 and was left to her own devices, she chose to seek revenge against one of the most powerful people in the galaxy, she managed to infiltrate his elite organization which specilises in killing people like her and rose to the top to get close to him, there she would be in a position to strike when the time was right.
    This is a character who has shown to be able to be physically manipulated by the force by nearly all force users in this show - from Vader, to the Grand Inquisitor, to the 5th Brother, to Obi-Wan himself in this episode - so a direct confrontation is likely not the best plan.
    Then enter Obi-Wan 'why don't you scrap your decade long careful planning and simply attack him now - that might work out well for you?' - and she just did it, I have to assume he used the force to mentally manipulate her to pull that off, but I don't think I am meant to assume that.

I am of three minds about them leaving her alive 1) Vader knows that people can get up from being left for dead, so he should kill her, but 2) dealing with her is the role of the inquisitors it is effectively beneath him, however 3) dealing with force sensitive people is the role of the inquisitors so the Grand Inquisitor should have killed her.

20. - Top - End - #170
    Titan in the Playground

God, I forgot about the tunnel.

I feel like the blocking is really bad in this show, and I keep noticing it. Normally my dividing line for whether it's fair to whinge about this kind of thing is whether you notice it first time you watch the thing (what happened to the joker at the fancy party in The Dark Knight? the film doesn't care and nor should you!) but I'm seeing so much on a first watch of this.

Spoiler
    Show
    • Leia effortlessly avoids pursuers because they keep running into trees and going the wrong way around things.
    • Third Sister beating Leia and Indira down the tunnel.
    • Stormtroopers treat Vader's fire as an undefeatable wall instead of just going around it.
    • Stormtroopers and rebels standing in a room, twenty feet apart, shooting at each other, with almost no casualties.
    • Robot stands in the way of Indira to protect her from stormtrooper fire, yet enough clearly get around her to hold Obi-wan up.
    • Obi-wan and Third Sister talk about killing vader in a normal voice, very close to a whole bunch of stormtroopers.
    • Once obi-wan is captured, why do the stormtroopers just walk him right back towards the rebels?
    • Where was that second ship that vader pulled down all this time?
    • Why didn't vader just do the same thing to the other ship?
    • Why did they wait for the decoy to be pulled down and caught before taking off?
    • Who was flying that ship?
    • This whole decoy ship thing is dumb. Why not just have Third Sister attack him while he's distracted? That way he doesn't look like a moron.
    • In the fight with Third Sister, I do quite like the idea of "Vader is so cool he can just block and deflect with the force" but the way they shot it made it look like she was just repeatedly missing him.

I am also very begrudgingly giving it a pass on this since canon is mutable and whatnot but: I don't think you can fit four people in a single snowspeeder.

There honestly is a lot I like about it. Ewan McGregor's doing a good job being appropriately terrified of Vader. I don't think the writing's terrible or the plot is bad. It's just... full of these wierd little holes. Like nobody read the script after location scouting.

21. - Top - End - #171
    Pixie in the Playground

Everything is pretty bad, but I have loved hearing James Earl Jones as the voice of the baddest dude in Star Wars. He's a national treasure. :)

Spoiler
    Show

In Episode 5 in the recap, it struck me that two speeders shouldn't be able to get anywhere near an Imperial base that should have actual air defenses, like in Star Wars Rebels. Then my son chimes in that the speeders are too small to have hyperspace generators, like an X-Wing, so they couldn't escape Hoth.

The circle is now complete, my son has achieved his nerdhood.

Also, if you have a thermal detonator, why not use it to blow up stormtroopers and block the choke point, instead of heroically blowing yourself up with it? Sigh.

22. - Top - End - #172

Quote Originally Posted by Olffandad View Post
    Spoiler
    Show

In Episode 5 in the recap, it struck me that two speeders shouldn't be able to get anywhere near an Imperial base that should have actual air defenses, like in Star Wars Rebels. Then my son chimes in that the speeders are too small to have hyperspace generators, like an X-Wing, so they couldn't escape Hoth.

The circle is now complete, my son has achieved his nerdhood.
    Now teach him of your nerdhood dominance by letting him know that
    Spoiler
    Show
    those were airspeeders and are not space-worthy.

23. - Top - End - #173
    Ettin in the Playground

Planetar

Quote Originally Posted by Olffandad View Post
    Spoiler
    Show

Also, if you have a thermal detonator, why not use it to blow up stormtroopers and block the choke point, instead of heroically blowing yourself up with it? Sigh.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Better question, and deeper sigh: if you have a thermal detonator and you're a droid rather than a fleshy human badly vulnerable to blaster fire, why don't you throw the detonator at the stormtroopers yourself?

This is the same droid who was getting ready to Mjolnir the stormtroopers an episode ago, it's not like he observes Asimov's Third Law of Robotics, and it's not like he's built with Cyberdyne Systems' line of code that forbids self-termination.

24. - Top - End - #174

Spoiler
    Show
    It's actually visible in the background in several shots!
    Spoiler
    Show
    I think the first time is when the droid closes the hangar doors

25. - Top - End - #175

Quote Originally Posted by AMX View Post
    It's actually visible in the background in several shots!
    Spoiler
    Show
    I think the first time is when the droid closes the hangar doors
    Spoiler
    Show
    You know, I am enjoying this show a lot more than most people in this forum, but even I agree that it over-relies on repeats of feats, scenes and visuals from prior shows/movies. My problem with this scene isn't that it "invalidates" movies like empire strikes back where Darth Vadar doesn't use his power to stop the Falcon from leaving Hoth if he could do it here, 10-12 years earlier. My problem is that, as a visual feature, it is undermined BY the scene it is aping in Rise of Skywalker where Rey stops the storm trooper transport. It was the first time we see a jedi/sith stop an entire ship in flight like that and it was a gut-punch visceral visual POW, similar in effect to Kylo Ren stopping the blaster bolt in Force Awakens. But now, we've seen it. So now we see Darth Vadar do the same thing and its... eh.... been there, got the t-shirt. Plus, we then do the exact same "ha, there was ANOTHER ship all along" conclusion as in Rise of Skywalker. So its not just aping the original force power, but the entire sequence and its just too much for me.

26. - Top - End - #176

Spoiler
    Show

I would refute some of these points.

• Leia effortlessly avoids pursuers because they keep running into trees and going the wrong way around things.

This is meant as a portrayal of Leia's force sensitivity. The universe acts to protect her through chance and luck. It made perfect sense to me. While they could've done a better job of directing/staging it, I got what they were going for.

• Obi-wan and Third Sister talk about killing vader in a normal voice, very close to a whole bunch of stormtroopers.

As someone hearing impaired who routinely struggles with people speaking in normal voice on television (especially on disney+ where they mix the music track up way higher than the dialog track on these shows) I am perfectly okay with the actors talking instead of whispering and understanding that they are meant to be whispering.

In the hanger. We saw it several times.

Really, if you want to complain about this scene, complain about the ungodly prescience that they must have to decide "okay, everyone into that ship over there, and you fly that empty ship out first to draw fire and keep their attention and we'll skulk away in the second ship". I mean, it's a sound enough strategy but in the situation pretty damn lucky.
    • Why didn't vader just do the same thing to the other ship?

Exhaustion? Confusion? Distraction? I mean, that's easy to explain away. Though i agree with a different point that it would've been superior to show the second ship escaping WHILE he was pulling down the first one, and to have 3rd sister attack WHILE he was pullign down the first one. Tactically, this scene is poorly staged, even though I understand that the director wants each beat to happen in turn so that its clear to joe average viewer what is happening. i just don't think they need to pander to joe average as much as they do.

• In the fight with Third Sister, I do quite like the idea of "Vader is so cool he can just block and deflect with the force" but the way they shot it made it look like she was just repeatedly missing him.

This was meant to be a callback to the flashback fight between Obiwan and Anikin where Obiwan uses the exact same moves and methodology to avoid Anikin's attack. It shows that a> part of anikin is still in there and b> he DID learn something from Obiwan all along, even if he has perverted and corrupted those teachings.

Last edited by Wintermoot; 2022-06-17 at 11:02 AM.

27. - Top - End - #177

GnomePirate

Spoiler: OP
    Show
    One thing thing I noticed is Reva's light saber. Darth Vader takes it from her and breaks it in half. But at the end of the episode, she picks it up and it's whole again.

While the Vadar-Reva duel and the ship grab was cool, I think bring up so many continuity issues. Like in the Empire Strikes Back Duel. Why doesn't Vadar just use the force to pick up Luke, put him in the carbonite chamber and turn it on? When Luke jumps off the platform, why doesn't Vadar grab him to take him to the Emperor?

28. - Top - End - #178
    Titan in the Playground

Planetar

God, I forgot about the tunnel.

Spoiler
    Show

I am also very begrudgingly giving it a pass on this since canon is mutable and whatnot but: I don't think you can fit four people in a single snowspeeder.
    Spoiler
    Show

As a teenager in the 1980s, I rode from Washington DC to Ocean City, MD (approximately 150 miles - 3 hour journey) in the back of a covered-over pickup with 17 other kids. It's amazing what you can do if you've got the will if you're determined enough, at least with fitting people into an enclosed space. So I think 4 people in a speeder is child's play as far as dimensions go. I don't think it's going to stress the speeder power plant either, as I believe star wars vehicles run on fusion or something similar.

Respectfully,

Brian P.
    "Every lie we tell incurs a debt to the truth. Sooner or later, that debt is paid."

-Valery Legasov in Chernobyl

29. - Top - End - #179
    Titan in the Playground

Originally Posted by LeSwordfish
    Spoiler
    Show
    …I don't think you can fit four people in a single snowspeeder.
    Spoiler: T-47 Backseat
    Show
    Remember that the T-47s on Hoth:

a) were carrying harpoons and long tow cables; and
    b) had to be modified for the extreme cold, which probably meant a lot of bulky insulation.

Remove the harpoons, tow cables and insulation, and I could easily believe you could pack three people in the aft compartment, especially when one is a 10-year-old who’s small for her age.
    Last edited by Palanan; 2022-06-17 at 12:30 PM.

30. - Top - End - #180
    Titan in the Playground

I liked this one. The writing was better, with the repeated parallels and flashbacks. The cinematography was really solid too, with nicely framed shots in a number of places; I thought Vader reflected in the window was excellently composed.

At this point I'm overall pretty happy with the show. I think the scripts probably needed another round or two of editing to really pull together, but at its core the repeated echoing of other pieces of the franchise, and the interplay between Anakin and Obi-Wan is genuinely sound. Yeah sure the action beats aren't always the best, but honestly I don't care that much. It has some actual story structure and ambition, and possibly even touches of psychological complexity. I'll take that over 50% better laser fights.

Also I gotta say, if you are choosing to nitpick the seating capacity of fictional space ships in the space wizard TV show, I think not enjoying it is on you. If this is the axis you want to engage with Star Wars on, congratulations, you played yourselves out of enjoying Star Wars.
    Blood-red were his spurs i' the golden noon; wine-red was his velvet coat,
    When they shot him down on the highway,
    Down like a dog on the highway,
    And he lay in his blood on the highway, with the bunch of lace at his throat.

Alfred Noyes, The Highwayman, 1906.