New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Titan in the Playground

Default Star Wars: Andor - First Trailer

Odd timing, but here it is:

And it's excellent, as far as trailers go.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Spamalot in the Playground

Default Re: Star Wars: Andor - First Trailer

Are we going to get a prequel series on everybody who was in Rogue One now? Can we get stories from outside that tiny, tiny sliver of the GFFA's history? The entire Empire lasted just ~30 years! Maybe 20 more if you tack on the Mandalorian and ST.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy
    Ext. Sig (Handbooks/Creations)

3. - Top - End - #3
    Barbarian in the Playground

Flumph

I enjoyed the trailer, but given the general vibe I was really expecting people to break into song around the 50 second mark

4. - Top - End - #4

Quote Originally Posted by Dire_Flumph View Post
    I enjoyed the trailer, but given the general vibe I was really expecting people to break into song around the 50 second mark
    But what song?

(Oh, who am I kidding)
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

5. - Top - End - #5
    Banned

You have to give credit to Disney for something. They're certainly not afraid to beat a dead horse into the ground until it has no value left.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    But what song?

(Oh, who am I kidding)
    Given the context, Le Chant des Partisans feels more appropriate...

Friend, should you fall / a friend leaves the shadows / in your stead

Edit: This looks interesting? I'm kind of burned out on Star Wars shows, though, so I'll only watch it if I get very positive returns about it, after it's finished.
    Last edited by Fyraltari; 2022-05-26 at 05:38 PM.
    Forum Wisdom

Mage avatar by smutmulch & linklele.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

What's an Andor, and why should I care? I'm really getting bored with the periods on either side of the OT at this point, just run the timeline forward like 150 years, set up a new Jedi Order around Grogu, come up with any form of non-awful plot, and for god's sake do some original art design already - no making the Apple iStormTrooper* outfit doesn't count.

*This year's stormtrooper features a bezel angle altered by nearly 8 degrees, and we've changed the charging cable again.
    Last edited by warty goblin; 2022-05-26 at 07:17 PM.
    Blood-red were his spurs i' the golden noon; wine-red was his velvet coat,
    When they shot him down on the highway,
    Down like a dog on the highway,
    And he lay in his blood on the highway, with the bunch of lace at his throat.

Alfred Noyes, The Highwayman, 1906.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Firbolg in the Playground

Planetar

Quote Originally Posted by Anteros View Post
    You have to give credit to Disney for something. They're certainly not afraid to beat a dead horse into the ground until it has no value left.
    I think we already passed that point with the Sequel Trilogy and Solo.

The horse has now been beaten through the ground, the bedrock, the crust, and the mantle, and by this point is probably melting somewhere around the Earth's outer core.
    I'm the author of the Alex Verus series of urban fantasy novels. Fated is the first, and the final book in the series, Risen, is out as of December 2021. For updates, check my blog!

9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by warty goblin View Post
    What's an Andor, and why should I care?[/SIZE]
    I would love an answer to this question myself.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rynjin View Post
    I would love an answer to this question myself.
    Cassian Andor was one of the main characters of Rogue One - the one who shot the informer in the alley at the start of the movie and was supposed to assassinate the other main character's father.

As for why you 'should' care, I'm guessing the answer is something along the lines of "Rogue One was the best of the Disney Star Wars movies so you should be interested in learning more about the characters in it."

Alternatively, it's the new official Star Wars-Star Trek crossover series, where yet another Death Star shows up in Federation space to destroy the member-planet Andor, an iceball world and home to the blue-skinned, bald, and antennaed Andorians, and you should care because presumably you like at least one of these franchises, even if the new stuff from both has been mostly uninterestingly bad.
    Last edited by Aeson; 2022-05-27 at 06:27 AM.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

, come up with any form of non-awful plot,
    Just the simple requests today is it?
    "Three blokes walk into a pub. One of them is a little bit stupid, and the whole scene unfolds with a tedious inevitability." - Bill Bailey
    Androgeus' 3 step guide to Doctor Who speculation:
    Spoiler
    Show
    1. Pick a random character
    2. State that person is The Rani
    3. goto 1

12. - Top - End - #12

Quote Originally Posted by Androgeus View Post
    Just the simple requests today is it?
    Considering just how simple the plots of many good movies are, I don't know that I'd say that's the hard part - keeping people from overcomplicating the plot into some sort of messy trainwreck and actually executing the plot well when it comes to writing the script and shooting the film is probably the hard part.
    Last edited by Aeson; 2022-05-27 at 06:26 AM.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Aeson View Post
    Cassian Andor was one of the main characters of Rogue One - the one who shot the informer in the alley at the start of the movie and was supposed to assassinate the other main character's father.

As for why you 'should' care, I'm guessing the answer is something along the lines of "Rogue One was the best of the Disney Star Wars movies so you should be interested in learning more about the characters in it."
    Oh yeah, that guy, the one who did...all those cool things... I'm sure I'll think of here...zzzzz

The backstory expansions are getting a bit ridiculous. A New Hope is 2 hours. The entire Prequel Trilogy runs about 7 hours, and in that time covers the complete backstory of Darth Vader, the incredibly important and iconic villain at the heart of the entire OT. On top of that you get the backstory for other important characters, several complete character arcs, a civil war, the fall of the Jedi, the destruction of the Republic and by extension the entire political situation in the OT, as well as space and land battles with new art design and multiple planets that look nothing like Tatooine. But who would want all of that excitement and conflict in seven hours of entertainment?

Not the master storytellers at Disney, that's for sure! Now we can look forwards to a butt-crushing 6 - 8 hours explaining the backstory of Store Brand Edgy Han Solo, a not super important guy from a muddled mess of a two plus hour movie you probably mostly forgot about, which itself only existed to explain the setup of A New Hope. At this point you could watch all of ANH with its multiple complete character arcs, actually weird Tatooine, thrilling space battles, the destruction of an entire planet, and actually funny jokes four or fives times in less time than Disney will have spent fawning over its first five minutes like a horny fifteen year old really hoping to get to first base.

It's like Disney Coorporate are some weird Star Wars cargo cult, they know stuff related to the OT brings in money, so they keep waving Death Stars and Boba Fetts and various watered down versions of Tatooine at the sky. And because they also have a marketing budget approximately the size of Mt Everest and occasionally make something decent and Star Wars has two generations of goodwill it works.

But they don't have the foggiest idea why; all they actually know to do is make crap that looks like stuff they already know people like. If they're strip-mining their own barely original and not exactly beloved stuff for things to expand, the well is getting very dry. One imagines a certain amount of quietly repressed panic going around, as somebody contemplates whether an 8-episode special about Luke's X-Wing's ground crew in A New Hope would be a bridge too far.

I liked the Mandalorian OK, I'm very cautiously interested in the Obi-Wan thing, and I even drug myself through the malformed and pitiable Boba Fett show, but this is a Star Wars fetishism too far for me. I'm somehow reminded of a line from The Name of the Rose about going to see the skull of St. Sébastien from when he was a child. Just unnecessary, stupid, and very very greedy.
    Last edited by warty goblin; 2022-05-27 at 11:01 AM.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Titan in the Playground

I liked the Mandalorian OK, I'm very cautiously interested in the Obi-Wan thing, and I even drug myself through the malformed and pitiable Boba Fett show, but this is a Star Wars fetishism too far for me. I'm somehow reminded of a line from The Name of the Rose about going to see the skull of St. Sébastien from when he was a child. Just unnecessary, stupid, and very very greedy.
    It's odd to bring up the Mando to me. Since, when watching the trailers for that show, the answer to "Who is he and why should I care?" was "No one, and you shouldn't." Hell, I don't even like Boba Fett. Most overrated character in the OT.

But I think Mando was actually a pretty good show, all things considered. And Boba Fett, which is a character some people could give you an explanation of who he is and why you should care (even one I disagree with) and that show was boring as hell. Waste of time really. And Han Solo, which is a character I actually do like, was in a movie that had some interesting points, but was largely fairly meh.

So I'm less worried about them taking characters I don't have much of an emotional attachment to make their movies so much as if I think I can learn to like the story and character or not. I'd say, a story about a violent revolutionist during the height of the empire could be interesting.

Now, while it be interesting? I don't know. The most interesting thing about the character is that he was willing to murder his ally to win. That's a dark take. Will Disney revel in that kind of thing? Their record is ambiguous. On one hand, the best episode of Mando was about Mayfield's time as a trooper, another character I had 0 interest in until that episode and Obi-wan essentially opens with a school shooting. So they're willing to go dark. But on the other hand, one of Boba Fett's biggest problems was taking a group of fairly dark characters and scraping off every rough edge they could.

So, I don't know. I'm not exactly looking forward to this one, but I'm willing to see if something good comes out of it.

15. - Top - End - #15

Should I? I know what happens to all of them, Cassian included. I also know what happens to the Rebellion and the Empire.

Mandalorian at least is set after the OT, so there's a chance they can use it either to set up or even retcon some of the poorer beats from the ST, but this is literally a prequel of a prequel. As is Obi-Wan. Enough already
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

16. - Top - End - #16
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    but this is literally a prequel of a prequel. As is Obi-Wan.
    Hey now, Obi-Wan is a sequel of a prequel! Totally different.

But not any better.
    Forum Wisdom

Mage avatar by smutmulch & linklele.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Titan in the Playground

Originally Posted by warty goblin
    I'm really getting bored with the periods on either side of the OT at this point….
    Completely with you here. Advancing things another century would be great, although my heart’s desire remains a series that shows us the founding of the Jedi in a galaxy long, long before the Republic.

Originally Posted by Aeson
    Cassian Andor….
    And he barely shows up in the trailer for the series bearing his name. Which is fine by me, since I really disliked Andor himself.

That said, the trailer overall looks great. But it’s strange to drop it when they did, just hours before Kenobi’s premiere—and given the first two episodes of that one, I’m suddenly looking forward to the Andor series far more than the rest of Kenobi.

And speaking of the trailer….

Spoiler
    Show
    Anton Lesser and Fiona Shaw certainly have my attention. If they’re given substantial roles, that bodes well for the overall quality of acting.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Firbolg in the Playground

Planetar

It's like Disney Coorporate are some weird Star Wars cargo cult, they know stuff related to the OT brings in money, so they keep waving Death Stars and Boba Fetts and various watered down versions of Tatooine at the sky. And because they also have a marketing budget approximately the size of Mt Everest and occasionally make something decent and Star Wars has two generations of goodwill it works.
    Okay, this made me laugh out loud.

But yeah, that pretty much describes it. I think back when I did my Star Wars watch thread my two-word summary of the sequel trilogy was "creatively bankrupt", or at least the 2/3rds of it I could bear to make myself watch.

I think the well of writer talent at Disney has run pretty dry at this point. But they still know how to do visuals and they still have all these IPs, so it looks like they're going to just keep on churning this stuff out until it finally stops selling.
    I'm the author of the Alex Verus series of urban fantasy novels. Fated is the first, and the final book in the series, Risen, is out as of December 2021. For updates, check my blog!

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ogre in the Playground

'Why should I care' is an odd question. If you don't you don't, you can't really persuade someone to care. If you don't, fine. If you do, fine. Why should anyone care about anything? Why should anyone not care about anything?

Minor characters get expanded all the time, and some work, some don't, there's nothing inherently wrong with the approach.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Eldritch Horror in the Playground Moderator

It's also a little weird to act like this is something Disney brought to the franchise, when Star Wars from the beginning has spent way more time caring about its minor side characters and background fillers than anyone else does or should. Every single character you see onscreen in the original trilogy has an actual canon name. They wrote an entire book about the various background extras in the catina where Luke and Obi-Wan meet Han, despite only one of them having a speaking part. Heck, they created a canon explanation for why that one Stormtrooper on the Death Star bumps his head on the doorframe.

Star Wars has always done this sort of stuff. The only new bit is having it brought to film.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Titan in the Playground

Well, assuming I even cared about Rogue One (which I don't, sorry), what is the value of delving into the backstory of a single-appearance side character that has already had a complete story told about them?

Prequels often work well when they're about the main character of an established franchise, to give more context about them as inexperienced characters, figuring out how they form their moral compass, etc. Batman: Year One and Yakuza 0 are both great examples of this.

But in the grand scheme of things what does knowing the backstory of Cassian Andor do for me? Does it expand the universe and make it more interesting? Does it explain the motivations and origins of a beloved character? Does it recontextualize a portion of the existing narrative?

All signs point to no. Andor is too new to be "beloved", the part of the universe he exists in was already "expanded" (however infinitesimally) by Rogue One, and it has little chance of recontextualizing anything about the plot because he never intersects with any of the primary characters of the actual series of movies at all.

Like I get that the big meme about Star Wars fans is that they'll lap up any trash put in front of them, loudly complain about it, and then ask for more, but surely there's got to be some limit to that, right? An irrelevant expansion on the life of a character who never mattered to the main plot in the first place is such a weird series to make.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Banned

I just feel like they could at least give us a character who's story we don't already know the ending to. I can get into a prequel if it's sufficiently divorced from the main property, but this character's story felt complete to me already.

It reeks of being out of touch with their fanbase. They keep hearing that Rogue One is the only good movie they've made so they decided to make a show about one of those characters without actually understanding the reasons people liked Rogue One.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Anteros View Post
    It reeks of being out of touch with their fanbase. They keep hearing that Rogue One is the only good movie they've made so they decided to make a show about one of those characters without actually understanding the reasons people liked Rogue One.
    Basically this, yeah. I very much enjoyed Rogue One. It's the best Star Wars outside of the original trilogy, and the only truly good Disney Star Wars film, IMO. I liked Cassian in it. I nonetheless see no reason to be interested in this, and was baffled back when it was first announced. Kind of the same way a lot of people felt about the Solo movie, I just don't see the point. And it feels like if someone like me isn't interested, something's wrong there, since I ought to be pretty squarely in the target audience.
    Last edited by Zevox; 2022-05-27 at 11:05 PM.
    Toph Pony avatar by Dirtytabs. Thanks!

"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty, I read them openly. When I became a man, I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." -C.S. Lewis

24. - Top - End - #24
    Titan in the Playground

Originally Posted by Zevox
    I very much enjoyed Rogue One. It's the best Star Wars outside of the original trilogy, and the only truly good Disney Star Wars film, IMO. I liked Cassian in it. I nonetheless see no reason to be interested in this….
    Very interesting inversion here. I disliked Rogue One to the extreme, disliked Cassian Andor, and yet now I’m very interested in this series, on the strength of the trailer.

Much of it is the prospect of new characters. If we absolutely have to keep bouncing around in the same wafer-thin period of galactic history, we should at least have someone other than the same tiny handful of Jedi and Skywalkers to follow.

Originally Posted by Rynjin
    Well, assuming I even cared about Rogue One (which I don't, sorry), what is the value of delving into the backstory of a single-appearance side character that has already had a complete story told about them?
    Indeed. I’m hoping this will be enough of an ensemble piece that Andor’s particular story becomes just one of many threads.

We’ve never really seen the workings of the Senate after the rise of the Empire, nor the political aspects of Mon Mothma’s work. That to me would be interesting in itself. I’m all in favor of lightsabers, starfighters and assassin droids, but a series that also had some political nuance would be something decidedly new in the franchise. Star Wars has generally been the opposite of nuance, which makes the prospect of same worth looking forward to.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Palanan View Post
    Very interesting inversion here. I disliked Rogue One to the extreme, disliked Cassian Andor, and yet now I’m very interested in this series, on the strength of the trailer.
    Can't say that I see any particular strength to the trailer - seems like any other typical trailer to me - but personal tastes and all, I suppose.

Quote Originally Posted by Palanan View Post
    Much of it is the prospect of new characters. If we absolutely have to keep bouncing around in the same wafer-thin period of galactic history, we should at least have someone other than the same tiny handful of Jedi and Skywalkers to follow.
    See, that I would be with you on, normally. But when the whole premise is the series is based on being the backstory to a character whose story seems pretty complete in the movie he was in and really has no particular reason to get more backstory, you're building on a very weak foundation, I think, and it leaves my interest at nil.
    Toph Pony avatar by Dirtytabs. Thanks!

"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty, I read them openly. When I became a man, I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." -C.S. Lewis

26. - Top - End - #26
    Titan in the Playground

Originally Posted by Zevox
    But when the whole premise is the series is based on being the backstory to a character whose story seems pretty complete in the movie he was in and really has no particular reason to get more backstory, you're building on a very weak foundation, I think....
    I'm pretty much with you on this. But I'm hoping that Andor's backstory is just one of several storylines in a much wider ensemble. Given the degree of talent they've lined up for this one, I'm hoping that those actors will have substantial roles of their own, ideally with Andor's story showing the ground-level view while the others delve into the political maneuvering.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Ogre in the Playground

Ever since this was first announced as a future project some years ago, I've been wondering why anyone wanted to make a whole series around someone who was at best the fifth most interesting character in Rogue One. I would be much more down for more stories featuring Chirrut Imwe and Baze Malbus, but I get why they aren't going that way. They probably can't get Donnie Yen for an entire series, after all.

As for Cassian Andor, he was... fine, in Rogue One. I just thought he was among the less interesting characters. Frankly, the only way I'm going to be excited for this show is if they put K2SO in it, because Alan Tudyk absolutely made that movie as far as I'm concerned. Since I don't see him in this trailer, I'm not exactly falling over myself with excitement.
    Quote Originally Posted by 2D8HP View Post
    Work is the scourge of the gaming classes!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kish View Post
    Neither Evershifting List of Perfectly Prepared Spells nor Grounds to Howl at the DM If I Ever Lose is actually a wizard class feature.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Ogre in the Playground

I'm not sure what the complaint is. What metrics are we using for what side character is worthy of a TV show?

29. - Top - End - #29
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Sapphire Guard View Post
    I'm not sure what the complaint is. What metrics are we using for what side character is worthy of a TV show?
    Metric system

Quote Originally Posted by Me, from earlier
    Does it expand the universe and make it more interesting? Does it explain the motivations and origins of a beloved character? Does it recontextualize a portion of the existing narrative?

30. - Top - End - #30

If they're gonna make a TV show about Some Random Guy, maybe it should actually be about some random guy on some other planet, doing Star Wars stuff, instead of a dead guy who I can't even remember what he did besides get killed before the interesting story starts. I'd totally watch a series about Magunki Schwumbpo from Planet Harble and his cool new Jedi friend J'emissia Flerntis and their adventures on some sort of space vacation gone awry. Maybe Disney should think about that.