New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Bugbear Sorcerer Advice?

I'm making a character for a game this weekend and wanted to try out the new MotM Bugbear. We're starting at level 10 with two uncommon and one rare magic items.

I want to take advantage of the Bugbear's surprise attack, but I don't want to go with the efficient but overused idea of Gloomstalker/Assassin/Fighter nova. Instead, I'd like to make a Bugbear Sorcerer, in part because I have a good background idea in my head and also because with the release of Aberrant Mind and Clockwork Soul, I finally don't mind playing Sorcerers.

Opening round of combat will most likely be Scorching Ray, probably upcast, since the surprise attack damage will apply to each beam. That being said, some questions come to mind..

1: Pure Sorcerer or multiclass? A two level dip into fighter for action surge would make for one heck of an opening round scorching ray volley. Alternately, a level or two of Warlock allows for a quickened scorching ray followed by eldritch blast.

2: What to do with the Level 4 and 8 ASIs? Charisma could be raised to 18 or 20. But there are some feats that absolutely should be considered. Alert, in ensure that first round nova. Metamagic adept for more sorcery points and metamagic options. Or perhaps spell sniper to pick up eldritch blast without having to take a warlock dip.

3: Starting magic items? With two uncommon and one rare allowed, the things that most come to mind would be a bloodwell vial, one of the new Tasha's shards, and perhaps a weapon of warning for advantage on initiative.

Thanks in advance for your feedback!

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Bugbear Sorcerer Advice?

How often are you actually planning on using your surprise scorching ray strat? Because that will determine how much you want to sink into it. I'd say 2 levels of fighter is a great investment but stay very aware it will put you a whole spell level behind.

Maybe Alert or Fey Touched (Gift of Alacrity)? Bloodwell Vial is an excellent, well rounded pick but also consider options like an Essence Shard, Staff of Healing or something that gives you flight without needing concentration.
    Roll for it
    5e Houserules and Homebrew
    Old Extended Signature
    Awesome avatar by Ceika

3. - Top - End - #3
    Bugbear in the Playground

If you go Aberrant Mind, a Tentacle Rod is flavorful and synergizes well with the bugbear thing - you can use that as an action and then quicken Scorching Ray. Really short range though. Probably not optimal, but kinda cool!

Alert, Fey Touched(Gift of Alacrity), +2 Bloodwell Vial, weapon of warning, and something else is about as all in on that one trick as you can get. I'm personally a fan of doing something more well rounded.

Gem of Brightness might actually be an interesting and unconventional choice for an uncommon item, you can blind a target as an action and then quicken Scorching Ray with advantage.
    Last edited by solidork; 2022-05-26 at 09:48 PM.

4. - Top - End - #4

DrowGirl

Keep in mind that even with action surge, you can only cast one leveled spell per turn. So no doubling up on scorching rays.

But to your question, I think the clearly best option is Warlock 1. Eldritch Blast *also* shoots multiple rays as a cantrip, so that is by far the best synergy with the bugbear's surprise attack. Upcast Scorching Ray + Eldritch Blast is 10 ray attacks in one turn.

I think fighter is a trap. Action Surge is all it gives, and that's only usable 1/SR. This is not even close to worth losing 5th level spells for, not when you already have Quickened metamagic. Don't take it, unless you want to do an armored mage (which would be a worse option for surprise attack).

For ASI's I would go Alert and Fey Touched I guess? That'll leave you with 18 Cha and +5 on initiative. That seems pretty good.
    Last edited by Skrum; 2022-05-26 at 10:51 PM.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Skrum View Post
    Keep in mind that even with action surge, you can only cast one leveled spell per turn. So no doubling up on scorching rays.
    Not quite true, the casting rules are funky but what triggers the 'no more levelled spells until next turn' is casting a spell as a bonus actiom.
    Roll for it
    Old Extended Signature
    Awesome avatar by Ceika

6. - Top - End - #6

DrowGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Kane0 View Post
    Not quite true, the casting rules are funky but what triggers the 'no more levelled spells until next turn' is casting a spell as a bonus actiom.
    Wut

Action Surge *can* cast two leveled spells??

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

Yup, it's one of the main draws of fighter 2 before going into a caster.
    Edit: The other being the defensive benefits of saves, armor profs, defense or blind style and a bonus action short rest heal.

Action surge also works for spells that use your action to do things, like Sunbeam.
    Last edited by Kane0; 2022-05-26 at 11:00 PM.
    Roll for it
    Old Extended Signature
    Awesome avatar by Ceika

8. - Top - End - #8

DrowGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Kane0 View Post
    Yup, it's one of the main draws of fighter 2 before going into a caster.
    Edit: The other being the defensive benefits of saves, armor profs, defense or blind style and a bonus action short rest heal.

Action surge also works for spells that use your action to do things, like Sunbeam.
    Huh. Live and learn. Very cool....I just started playing a Fighter/warlock. Now he has another way to nova, besides eldritch smite. Noice.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground

Few years back (before sidekicks) in a game the party came into possession of a border fort and were tasked with running it for the local lord. We figured best to have all the recruits start as fighters until at least level 2 before they were trained to specialize (either subclass or multiclass). Everyone was properly trained in the standard equipment, could operate via str or dex and the casters weren't completely hamstrung because they could stay alive longer and doublecast, not to mention cantrip strength scales on character level rather than caster level but few if any of the soldiery reached level 5 anyways.
    Roll for it
    Old Extended Signature
    Awesome avatar by Ceika