New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more

Thread: Full inboxes

1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Default Full inboxes

I've just seen a post here where somebody said they'd tried to private message another user but their inbox was full. The latter user replied that they didn't know their inbox was full until the former one told them. I had this problem before when I tried to private message somebody and got the full inbox message.

What's the maximum messages it can store? I was considering starting a thread somewhere to let people know about this as it seems quite a few people aren't aware of it but I'm not sure where would be the best place to do that?
    Last edited by Biggus; 2022-05-27 at 11:29 AM. Reason: clarity/typo

2. - Top - End - #2
    Colossus in the Playground

Default Re: Full inboxes

I believe it's 100 messages (in total-so count the inbox and outbox) for normal members.
    I have a LOT of Homebrew!

Spoiler: Former Avatars
    Show
    Spoiler: Avatar (Not In Use) By Linkele
    Show

Spoiler: Individual Avatar Pics
    Show

3. - Top - End - #3
    Firbolg in the Playground

There's literally a colour-coded bar for this at the bottom of the Private Messages thing! (And yes, the total capacity for everything stored, whether it is sent or received, is a flat 100 for mere mortals.)

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

Devil

It would be neat if your inbox reaching capacity could trigger an automated notification that informed you that it's full and you need to empty it to receive more messages.
    Quote Originally Posted by icefractal View Post
    Abstract positioning, either fully "position doesn't matter" or "zones" or whatever, is fine. If the rules reflect that. Exact positioning, with a visual representation, is fine. But "exact positioning theoretically exists, and the rules interact with it, but it only exists in the GM's head and is communicated to the players a bit at a time" sucks for anything even a little complex. And I say this from a GM POV.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Metastachydium View Post
    There's literally a colour-coded bar for this at the bottom of the Private Messages thing! (And yes, the total capacity for everything stored, whether it is sent or received, is a flat 100 for mere mortals.)
    I'd never noticed that, as it's far enough below the actual messages it's not visible unless you scroll right to the bottom.

Any idea how best to let people know about this?

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Devils_Advocate View Post
    It would be neat if your inbox reaching capacity could trigger an automated notification that informed you that it's full and you need to empty it to receive more messages.
    Pop-ups from old php based forums are already blocked by most browsers. Firefox always asks me if I want to see my popup for a recent PN. So probably not the smoothest thing?

7. - Top - End - #7
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Biggus View Post
    I'd never noticed that, as it's far enough below the actual messages it's not visible unless you scroll right to the bottom.

Well, you can put it in your signature with big flaming letters and the works, urging others to do the same, but unless you wish to petition the admins to redesign that section of the page, that's about the most you can do short of going around PMing people with something performed to the tune of "do you have a minute or two to talk about the size of your inbox".

8. - Top - End - #8
    Sheriff in the Playground Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by Biggus View Post

Sheriff: I think the original question in this thread has been well-answered. As for this second question, if you PM with someone frequently (such as in an ongoing play-by-post game or homebrew project) remind them there's a cap and to keep their inboxes reasonably clean. As a GM of a PbP game, maybe remind players from time to time.
    Forum Rules

Sheriff Roland by Chris the Pontifex