A Monster for Every Season: Summer 2
You can get A Monster for Every Season: Summer 2 now at Gumroad
Page 17 of 19 FirstFirst ... 78910111213141516171819 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #481
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Girl Genius XXXI: Letís look at it from farther away!

Another possibility with "the family" is that Barry or Bill will turn up alive and end up back home.

2. - Top - End - #482
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Willie the Duck View Post
    By the end of this, I half expect Agatha to have figured out how to (legally, within European legal structure) marry them both and how to (physically, given mad Science!) have both of them father all the children. That, or they both get blown up in the final battle and she stitches them both together into one husband (that is constantly at war with itself just below the seems).
    She is the Heterodyne - there are no laws she is bound by unless that's her personal choice. Kind of like this moment of Dr Who:
    Now listen, bit of advice - tell me the truth if you think you know it, lay down the law if you're feeling brave! But, Daleks - never, ever, tell me the rules!

She is more civilized, so she would not incinerate anyone who protests, but there is no reason for her to listen to them. After all, within Mechanicsburg she is the ultimate power.
    In a war it doesn't matter who's right, only who's left.

3. - Top - End - #483
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

I wonder if Adam and Lilith count? Agatha currently has a baby step-sister and I can easily see her insisting all three be declared part of Der Family.

4. - Top - End - #484
    Ettin in the Playground

I am guessing younger cousins or siblings, but official consort and a couple experiments is also possible.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wardog View Post
    Rockphed said it well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam Starfall
    When your pants are full of crickets, you don't need mnemonics.
    Dragontar by Serpentine.

Now offering unsolicited advice.

5. - Top - End - #485
    Firbolg in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Rockphed View Post
    I am guessing younger cousins or siblings, but official consort and a couple experiments is also possible.
    The reason Da Boyz were detached from the regular Jager forces was to search for a Heterodyne heir. They didn't find one prior to Agatha. In the presence of time travel shenanigans almost anything is possible, but I think cousins are unlikely absent t.t.s.
    This ... is my signature finishing move!

"It's never good when you make a fiend cringe" - MadGrady

According to some online quiz, I'm a 6th level TN Wizard. They didn't give me full XP for all the monsters I've defeated while daydreaming.
    http://easydamus.com/character.html

I am a Ranger Archetype: Gleaming Warden (thx to Ninja Prawn)

6. - Top - End - #486
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Shining Wrath View Post
    The reason Da Boyz were detached from the regular Jager forces was to search for a Heterodyne heir. They didn't find one prior to Agatha. In the presence of time travel shenanigans almost anything is possible, but I think cousins are unlikely absent t.t.s.
    I'm thinking Barry created a few cousins during his time away.
    Rockphed said it well.
    Dragontar by Serpentine.

7. - Top - End - #487

I suspect Barry is going to turn out to be gay, there have been a couple of hints in that direction over the years.

Theo and Slepnir will probably have kids, they would be cousins of Agatha. And (ew) Zola could do the nasty with someone as well.

Good to hear the Library found a new Lord High Conservator.

8. - Top - End - #488

SamuraiGuy

The Castle is not far wrong about gymnasiums being a torture chamber. Sighs, puts on workout clothes, approaches Iron Maiden - er, curl station

According to some online quiz, I'm a 6th level TN Wizard. They didn't give me full XP for all the monsters I've defeated while daydreaming.

9. - Top - End - #489
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by geoduck View Post
    I suspect Barry is going to turn out to be gay, there have been a couple of hints in that direction over the years...
    No, no, that was a ruse so he could get into the harem of the Iron Sheik! He is Z's real father!
    ďA long surcote of pers upon he hade, / And by his syde he baar a rusty blade.Ē - Chaucer

10. - Top - End - #490
    Ettin in the Playground

Chimera

I suspect Barry is going to turn out to be gay.
    These two positions are not incompatible. Again, especially with Science! as an aid.
    Last edited by Willie the Duck; 2022-09-23 at 08:08 AM.

11. - Top - End - #491
    Troll in the Playground

The librarian seems to be in a hurry. Rampant acquisitiveness, or ulterior motives?

Another possibility with "the family" is that Barry or Bill will turn up alive and end up back home.
    Bill would have resumed his role as the Heterodyne if he came back; unless medical or personal factors prevented it. Barry and any children he might have would be possible. Punch, Judy, Theo, and other cousins and adoptees are also candidates.

12. - Top - End - #492
    Ettin in the Playground

Chimera

Quote Originally Posted by eee View Post
    The librarian seems to be in a hurry. Rampant acquisitiveness, or ulterior motives?
    It has occurred to me that this character has needed nothing except knowing that Franz has Masat's work, a document he says is Kikelburg's, and enough knowledge to convincingly portray a librarian and they have Franz leaving his hoard and heading into danger. Could be leading Franz away to let others (perhaps better suited to dealing with Jaegers) steal his stuff, or trying to take out Franz, or any number of nefarious plots.

Or they're just on their own dime until they show results and really want to get going.

13. - Top - End - #493
    Titan in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Quote Originally Posted by Willie the Duck View Post
    It has occurred to me that this character has needed nothing except knowing that Franz has Masat's work, a document he says is Kikelburg's, and enough knowledge to convincingly portray a librarian and they have Franz leaving his hoard and heading into danger. Could be leading Franz away to let others (perhaps better suited to dealing with Jaegers) steal his stuff, or trying to take out Franz, or any number of nefarious plots.

Or they're just on their own dime until they show results and really want to get going.
    They also have a library cat, although they could have gotten one of those some other way.

Most likely they think they're on the clock and want to get to the hoard before other treasure hunters do.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dsurion View Post
    I don't know if you've noticed, but pretty much everything BRC posts is full of awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by chiasaur11 View Post
    So, Astronaut, War Hero, or hideous Mantis Man, hop to it! The future of humanity is in your capable hands and or terrifying organic scythes.
    My Homebrew:Synchronized Swordsmen,Dual Daggers,The Doctor,The Preacher,The Brawler
    [/Center]

14. - Top - End - #494

Quote Originally Posted by Rodin View Post
    I wonder if Adam and Lilith count? Agatha currently has a baby step-sister and I can easily see her insisting all three be declared part of Der Family.
    Being a Heterodyne, and therefore potentially The Heterodyneô, requires more than just the name. That's why Zola's plan to impersonate the Heterodyne involved falsifying the proof by destroying or subverting the Kestle.
    Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Roamer View Post
    I think he did the only morally acceptable thing by killing everyone.
    Hark! An avatar drawn by Kate Beaton!

15. - Top - End - #495

Bill would have resumed his role as the Heterodyne if he came back; unless medical or personal factors prevented it.
    That's a point worth debating, the Castle has accepted Agatha as The Heterodyne, if Bill turned up alive, would it automatically switch back? Would Bill still even want the title and responsibilities, since it sounds like he was far more into being an Action Hero? I assume that since the Heterodynes follow only their own rules, formal abdication is totally an option.

I personally suspect he's long dead, but that Barry will still turn up alive at some point.
    Last edited by geoduck; 2022-09-23 at 04:18 PM.

16. - Top - End - #496
    Barbarian in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Radar View Post
    It very much did

Any bets on who the family consists of at that point?
    Agatha + Gil & Tarvek (unless one of them is dead or missing, which seems unlikely to me) + their Spawn + any surviving Bill/Barry/(Sane-ish & de-Othered) Lucrezia (the last seems very unlikely).

17. - Top - End - #497
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Gez View Post
    Being a Heterodyne, and therefore potentially The Heterodyneô, requires more than just the name. That's why Zola's plan to impersonate the Heterodyne involved falsifying the proof by destroying or subverting the Kestle.
    Wasn't really meaning a Heterodyne that is accepted by the castle, since presumably Gilgamesh and Tarvek wouldn't fill that role even if Agatha married them. They don't have the bloodline.

The question I'm asking is "What does it take for Mechanicsburgers to refer to them as "the family""? Would Gil or Tarvek count? Adam and Lilith as honorary parents? Who decides?

If it's just Heterodyne bloodline it's pretty limiting. There's Agatha, any potential kids, and then Bill and Barry along with any additional offspring they had off-screen. I don't consider them likely - in fact, I'll be rather surprised if either turns up alive.

18. - Top - End - #498
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by BRC View Post
    They also have a library cat, although they could have gotten one of those some other way.

Most likely they think they're on the clock and want to get to the hoard before other treasure hunters do.
    I could see her very easily being an overeager "kid" who isnt supposed to be here or doing this but is an employee of the library. She is seeking out some grand prize of her own to prove herself or whatever. She knows hoffman is likely to know this and might try to stop her or reveal her status to franz. Or besides proving herself, this could be another instance of "Its worth 30% of my grade!" Like agatha dealt with in paris. :p
    "Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum"
    Translation: "Sometimes I get this urge to conquer large parts of Europe."

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    Traab is yelling everything that I'm thinking already.
    "If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

19. - Top - End - #499
    Ogre in the Playground

Bill would have resumed his role as the Heterodyne if he came back; unless medical or personal factors prevented it. Barry and any children he might have would be possible. Punch, Judy, Theo, and other cousins and adoptees are also candidates.
    Would he though? From what we saw I'm inclined to believe he'd be happier not being THE Heterodyne, and the same would hold for both Der Kestle and the Jaegermonsters...
    Quote Originally Posted by Pickford View Post
    I don't understand your point. Why does it matter what I said?

20. - Top - End - #500

SamuraiGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Divayth Fyr View Post
    Would he though? From what we saw I'm inclined to believe he'd be happier not being THE Heterodyne, and the same would hold for both Der Kestle and the Jaegermonsters...
    I'm not sure the Castle / town / traditions are ready for an emeritus Heterodyne.

21. - Top - End - #501
    Eldritch Horror in the Playground Moderator

Considering the general temperament of pre-Boys Heterodynes, it's entirely possible no Heterodyne had ever ascended without his predecessor dying, either in a lab accident or a "lab accident". So a Current Heterodyne and Former Heterodyne at the same time might be completely out of context for Der Castle.

22. - Top - End - #502
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    Considering the general temperament of pre-Boys Heterodynes, it's entirely possible no Heterodyne had ever ascended without his predecessor dying, either in a lab accident or a "lab accident". So a Current Heterodyne and Former Heterodyne at the same time might be completely out of context for Der Castle.
    We see markers with multiple death dates in the family vault. I suspect the family played nicer with each other than is the norm for mad scientists.
    Rockphed said it well.
    Dragontar by Serpentine.

23. - Top - End - #503
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Shining Wrath View Post
    I'm not sure the Castle / town / traditions are ready for an emeritus Heterodyne.
    I mean, treat him with as much respect as you'd give a regular member of the family (not like there was always a Heterodyne, their spouse, a single child and nobody else) and call it a day? Anything that needs the Heterodyne goes to Agatha.
    Quote Originally Posted by Pickford View Post
    I don't understand your point. Why does it matter what I said?

24. - Top - End - #504

Beholder

Quote Originally Posted by runeghost View Post
    Agatha + Gil & Tarvek (unless one of them is dead or missing, which seems unlikely to me) + their Spawn + any surviving Bill/Barry/(Sane-ish & de-Othered) Lucrezia (the last seems very unlikely).
    I pity any location that is being visited by that family trip.
    Quote Originally Posted by Celestia View Post
    The British conquered the world in search of spices and then decided to use none of them.

25. - Top - End - #505
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by PraetorDragoon View Post
    I pity any location that is being visited by that family trip.
    Or anyone the Heterodynes decide to bestow a gift to - see the Corbetites for example.
    In a war it doesn't matter who's right, only who's left.

26. - Top - End - #506
    Barbarian in the Playground

New comic: in which Vipsania is reminded that the Heterodynes don't just have a hoard ... They also have a Horde.
    I'm pretty much the opposite of concise. If I fail to get to the point, please ask me and I'm happy to (attempt to) clarify.

27. - Top - End - #507

SamuraiGuy

Quote Originally Posted by theangelJean View Post
    New comic: in which Vipsania is reminded that the Heterodynes don't just have a hoard ... They also have a Horde.
    One with fangs and claws. Franz is not merely a dragon, he's the Heterodyne's dragon.

Also, it's been "over a hundred years" since he last left.

28. - Top - End - #508
    Troll in the Playground

Aw, that's sweet. Vanamonde is a great seneschal,

Quote Originally Posted by Divayth Fyr View Post
    Probably true. The Boys had a puritanical moral streak that didn't fit well with Mechanicsburg. They made the crime families get legit, they reined in the Jagers, they destroyed the Monsters Guild (apparently for no real reason). Agatha has allowed things to be normal for the town, and it seems to be working much better.

29. - Top - End - #509
    Titan in the Playground

Aw, that's sweet. Vanamonde is a great seneschal,

Probably true. The Boys had a puritanical moral streak that didn't fit well with Mechanicsburg. They made the crime families get legit, they reined in the Jagers, they destroyed the Monsters Guild (apparently for no real reason). Agatha has allowed things to be normal for the town, and it seems to be working much better.
    Being opposed to murder is puritanical, now?
    Forum Wisdom

Mage avatar by smutmulch & linklele.

30. - Top - End - #510

SamuraiGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    Being opposed to murder is puritanical, now?
    The crime families did some things besides murder. The Monster's Guild was not comprised solely of murderers.