New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 49 123456789101126 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Troll in the Playground

Flumph

Default Girl Genius XXXI: Let’s look at it from farther away!

It is a world ruled by Mad Science! Things happen. Usually, they happen to other people. This is entertainment. That's when the front door gets blown in- And you belatedly realize that, once again, you are doomed to be the entertainment in another exciting installment of: GIRL GENIUS!

Many elegant, finely-crafted, and vintage links follow:

Links to Previous Threads

Comic Links
    Link to current comic and link to the beginning of the strip. (Updates MWF, usually after Midnight [Eastern Time])
    The Continuing Adventures of Othar Tryggvassen, Gentleman Adventurer! (back on hiatus, may update in the future)
    A compilation (and much easier to read if you're just catching up) of the first three chapters can be found here at the GG website.
    And if one goes to snapbird.org and types in "Othar" in the 'Who?' field, all of Othar's adventures can be read on one page (albiet in reverse order of posting - Now must have a Twitter account to use).
    Mirror of the comic found on LiveJournal (No longer being updated as of Mid-May, 2017)
    Mirror of the comic found on Facebook (Will occasionally have Girl Genius related news)
    And one can find mirrors of Girl Genius on deviantArt as well. (Occasionally Kaja will put up or link to interesting GG related art that is found on dA)

Reference Links
    Wiki Project devoted to to Girl Genius
    Wikipedia entry on Girl Genius.
    TV Tropes page on Girl Genius.
    The Secret Blueprints (NOTE: Contains background information on the GG Universe, so it should probably be read after "catching up" to the newest comic, as it contains many spoilers.)

Social Media and News Links
    (The Goglios also provide some links at the bottom of the comic pages)
    Phil Foglio's new Wordpress art, news, and blogging website.
    Kaja Foglio's LJ Page and Studio Foglio News LJ Page (Not currently being updated)
    Kaja & Phil's Personal Facebook Page (Not currently being updated)
    A twitter account that basically is a catch-all feed for Girl Genius related news.
    Cheyenne Wright's Twitter and LiveJournal Accounts (The colorist's twitter and LJ pages)

And finally,
    Phil's old LJ page. (Occasionally contains crossposts from the Wordpress website)

====

Q: What is this "Sneaky Gate" y'alls go on about?

Sneaky gate: Named from this hidden gate in comic, it has become a name for viewing new comics early. Remember, if you're going to discuss the new comic, put it in spoiler boxes until the release time (12am EST).

Sneaky Gate 101:
    1. Right click the comic image.
    2. Select view image or copy paste the image location into the address bar.
    3. Modify the date to be the day you're trying to look at. (ex. 20120111 -> 20120113)
    4. Go to the modified url.
    5. Be disappointed when there's no early comic to read.
    6. Alternately, enjoy the comic!
    Last edited by Manga Shoggoth; 2022-05-31 at 09:36 AM.
    Warning: This posting may contain wit, wisdom, pathos, irony, satire, sarcasm and puns. And traces of nut.

"The main skill of a good ruler seems to be not preventing the conflagrations but rather keeping them contained enough they rate more as campfires." Rogar Demonblud

"Hold on just a d*** second. UK has spam callers that try to get you to buy conservatories?!? Even y'alls spammers are higher class than ours!" Peelee

2. - Top - End - #2
    Firbolg in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Default Re: Girl Genius XXXI: Let’s look at it from farther away!

Continuing discussions:
    1. I have my doubts about Othar's sanity.
    2. I still expect Bang & sire to appear with an airship and evacuate Team Agatha.
    3. I was betting on Clankrezia to win the Princess battle, but now it appears that's impossible, and she's playing spoiler to Monahan.
    4. Where are Castle and Train?

And a sorta-new topic: did Agatha "solve" the problem of the corrupted waters when she redirected all the corruption onto the battling Princesses?
    And a topic I don't think we've mooted sufficiently: who corrupted the waters in the first place? Are they still around?
    This ... is my signature finishing move!

"It's never good when you make a fiend cringe" - MadGrady

According to some online quiz, I'm a 6th level TN Wizard. They didn't give me full XP for all the monsters I've defeated while daydreaming.
    http://easydamus.com/character.html

I am a Ranger Archetype: Gleaming Warden (thx to Ninja Prawn)

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Shining Wrath View Post
    And a topic I don't think we've mooted sufficiently: who corrupted the waters in the first place? Are they still around?
    Has it been demonstrated that the corruption of the waters was the result of someone's action, as opposed to some sort of natural process?
    I made a webcomic, featuring absurdity, terrible art, and alleged morals.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by InvisibleBison View Post
    Has it been demonstrated that the corruption of the waters was the result of someone's action, as opposed to some sort of natural process?
    Agatha says at one point that she believes Monahan's experiments have been causing the corruption.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Barbarian in the Playground

Sucks to be those guys.
    GO FOR THE EYES, BOO!!!

6. - Top - End - #6

SamuraiGuy

Quote Originally Posted by InvisibleBison View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by geoduck View Post
    Agatha says at one point that she believes Monahan's experiments have been causing the corruption.
    My recollection is that Clankrezia didn't know who had caused the corruption, but said that it wasn't her. Monahan's ascension to Queenhood was delayed by the corruption, and once Clankrezia showed her how to remove it, that's when the Ascension Wars began. That makes me think it's unlikely that Monahan put the corruption in intentionally.

I'm thinking it's a Vapnoodle thing, but time will tell.

According to some online quiz, I'm a 6th level TN Wizard. They didn't give me full XP for all the monsters I've defeated while daydreaming.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

My recollection is that Clankrezia didn't know who had caused the corruption, but said that it wasn't her. Monahan's ascension to Queenhood was delayed by the corruption, and once Clankrezia showed her how to remove it, that's when the Ascension Wars began. That makes me think it's unlikely that Monahan put the corruption in intentionally.
    But what about Monahan causing the corruption unintentionally?
    Quote Originally Posted by Pickford View Post
    I don't understand your point. Why does it matter what I said?

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Girl Genius XXXI: LetÂ’s look at it from farther away!

Quote Originally Posted by Divayth Fyr View Post
    This is what I took from it - Monahan thought the effluvia was missing something, and was trying to process it by adding supplements or otherwise 'enhancing' it. While some of those attempts probably did nothing notable, I'm sure at least some of it made the corruption worse. Lucrezia showed her she was starting from bad assumptions - it was already tainted and needed to have the existing contaminants removed.

Although I doubt Monahan's experiments were fully responsible for the corruption; assuming the runoff from this spring/Flame is similar in nature to the Dyne even the 'pure' stuff would have interesting effects on the surrounding waters. The initial corruption is likely because the constructions that were supposed to contain/redirect/extract the energies from the runoff had broken down and allowed the spring to leak out into the surrounding waters.

9. - Top - End - #9

SamuraiGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Divayth Fyr View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by tyckspoon View Post
    This is what I took from it - Monahan thought the effluvia was missing something, and was trying to process it by adding supplements or otherwise 'enhancing' it. While some of those attempts probably did nothing notable, I'm sure at least some of it made the corruption worse. Lucrezia showed her she was starting from bad assumptions - it was already tainted and needed to have the existing contaminants removed.

Although I doubt Monahan's experiments were fully responsible for the corruption; assuming the runoff from this spring/Flame is similar in nature to the Dyne even the 'pure' stuff would have interesting effects on the surrounding waters. The initial corruption is likely because the constructions that were supposed to contain/redirect/extract the energies from the runoff had broken down and allowed the spring to leak out into the surrounding waters.
    Castle and Train found corruption upstream from the point where Monahan could reach. Unless she was lying to Clankrezia, I think the corruption is ancient, and the erstwhile Queen of this island installed the purification devices.

Which, come to think of it, means it predates Vapnoodle, unless he too is a time traveler.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Orc in the Playground

Castle and Train found corruption upstream from the point where Monahan could reach. Unless she was lying to Clankrezia, I think the corruption is ancient, and the erstwhile Queen of this island installed the purification devices.

Which, come to think of it, means it predates Vapnoodle, unless he too is a time traveler.
    I mean, he could be? He's (still?) off in another dimension (for the moment) and there are no indications of when or where he'll pop out.

11. - Top - End - #11

AssassinGuy

And Lucrezia must realize this. But she has plans to rule all of Europe. The slaver wasps will help, of course, but what level of power does Lucrezia think she's going to have to rule an area 5x or 10x that controlled by the legendarily powerful Albia?

Perhaps she intends to kill all other Sparks. In which case someone better keep an eye on Othar being a double-agent (or triple, as he'd likely kill Lucrezia given half a chance).
    I think once she stand going after the queens the plan was to rule the world using every flame and the gates.
    * my emphasis

http://dmreference.com/SRD/
    http://paizo.com/pathfinderRPG/prd/

Things that don't kill me make me strong
    Things that do kill me leave me dead

12. - Top - End - #12
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Agi Hammerthief View Post
    I think once she stand going after the queens the plan was to rule the world using every flame and the gates.
    One important thing is that Clankrezia, so far as we know, believes that Zola is actually Lucrezia, not an independent entity and that everything being done by the Queen of the Dawn is part of her plan (that she was unaware that Monahan could block her is evidence of this gap).

Clankrezia's lack of awareness on this subject seems to have influenced her failure to properly update her plans. She may even have been, in Paris, inadvertently working to further the goals of Zola's faction (assuming she was the one who sent the Geisters into Paris).
    Now publishing a webnovel travelogue.

Resvier: a P6 homebrew setting

13. - Top - End - #13

SamuraiGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Mechalich View Post
    One important thing is that Clankrezia, so far as we know, believes that Zola is actually Lucrezia, not an independent entity and that everything being done by the Queen of the Dawn is part of her plan (that she was unaware that Monahan could block her is evidence of this gap).

Clankrezia's lack of awareness on this subject seems to have influenced her failure to properly update her plans. She may even have been, in Paris, inadvertently working to further the goals of Zola's faction (assuming she was the one who sent the Geisters into Paris).
    Grandma seemed to think that Zola had sent the Geisters - and Grandma is usually well-informed.

Bang has appeared sans papa. I expect papa to decide he cares about his daughter enough to bring the airship.

14. - Top - End - #14

I'm lost. Who is Bang's papa?
    GO FOR THE EYES, BOO!!!

15. - Top - End - #15
    Troll in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

Quote Originally Posted by wingnutx View Post
    I'm lost. Who is Bang's papa?
    This guy.

He has a huge 'don't care' attitude...

But he IS how the others got on the island...
    Last edited by sihnfahl; 2022-06-01 at 01:10 PM.
    May you get EXACTLY what you wish for.

16. - Top - End - #16

Quote Originally Posted by sihnfahl View Post
    This guy.

He has a huge 'don't care' attitude...

But he IS how the others got on the island...
    I don't know how I missed that.

Thanks!
    GO FOR THE EYES, BOO!!!

17. - Top - End - #17
    Troll in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

engines in pieces?
    hours to put back together but you need to leave RIGHT NOW?
    good thing there are some sparkies around(*NOTE* i did NOT say safe..just good)
    Last edited by otakuryoga; 2022-06-03 at 12:06 AM.
    Ponies not only make ME want to be a better person than I was before they entered my life, they make me want to HELP OTHERS be better people too.

And that is a GOOD thing by any definition.

full size avatar

18. - Top - End - #18

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by otakuryoga View Post
    engines in pieces?
    hours to put back together but you need to leave RIGHT NOW?
    good thing there are some sparkies around(*NOTE* i did NOT say safe..just good)
    an opportunity to play with the lamp and find the „accelerate“ setting.
    Last edited by Agi Hammerthief; 2022-06-03 at 01:40 AM.
    * my emphasis

http://dmreference.com/SRD/
    http://paizo.com/pathfinderRPG/prd/

Things that don't kill me make me strong
    Things that do kill me leave me dead

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ogre in the Playground

I predict:

Spoiler
    Show
    "We need to fly now!" "Well, if we can gather a lot of those rats onto this giant wheel & attach it to the propeller..."
    "We are the people our parents warned us about!" - J.Buffett

20. - Top - End - #20

SamuraiGuy

What would take one ordinary mechanic with a, shall we say, lackadaisical altitude a couple of hours will take panicked Sparks about 5 minutes.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Troll in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

What would take one ordinary mechanic with a, shall we say, lackadaisical altitude a couple of hours will take panicked Sparks about 5 minutes.
    If you can keep them from making 'improvements'.

And you don't mind the lack of something called 'safety'.

22. - Top - End - #22

SamuraiGuy

If you can keep them from making 'improvements'.

And you don't mind the lack of something called 'safety'.
    Improvements are part of the Madness Place, deal with it.

I didn't mention safety, this thing will get airborne and then veer off toward Africa.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Well, if we let the Sparks handle this the airship will definitely go up.
    Most likely in flames, but let's not sweat the details,
    "If it lives it can be killed.
    If it is dead it can be eaten."

Ronkong Coma "the way of the bookhunter" III Catacombium
    (Walter Moers "Die Stadt der träumenden Bücher")

24. - Top - End - #24
    Troll in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Kantaki View Post
    Well, if we let the Sparks handle this the airship will definitely go up.
    Most likely in flames, but let's not sweat the details,
    How else are they supposed to get up quickly? That's what the rockets are for. They just need to repurpose the heating element of a toaster, a few teapots, and the funky sludge the airmen use to keep the airbag supple.

25. - Top - End - #25

SamuraiGuy

How else are they supposed to get up quickly? That's what the rockets are for. They just need to repurpose the heating element of a toaster, a few teapots, and the funky sludge the airmen use to keep the airbag supple.
    I would not be surprised if they explode a large part of the island in search of a JATO-like effect.

I'm going to be somewhat disappointed if a lot of valuable artifacts get destroyed by the Princess Temper Tantrums.
    Last edited by Shining Wrath; 2022-06-03 at 03:08 PM.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Ogre in the Playground

I would not be surprised if they explode a large part of the island in search of a JATO-like effect.

I'm going to be somewhat disappointed if a lot of valuable artifacts get destroyed by the Princess Temper Tantrums.
    A: "Do you two know there's a temple filled with ancient artifacts forgotten for 20,000 years under the island you're destroying"
    M: "THERE'S WHAT?"
    An explanation of why MitD being any larger than Huge is implausible.

See my extended signature here! May contain wit, candor, and somewhere from 52 to 8127 walruses.

Purple is humorous descriptions made up on the fly
    Green is serious talk about hypothetical
    Blue is irony and sarcasm

"I think, therefore I am,
    I walk, therefore I stand,
    I sleep, therefore I dream;
    I joke, therefore I meme."
    -Squire Doodad

27. - Top - End - #27
    Troll in the Playground

I just remembered that multi-cultural vault and all those priceless vases predating queens.
    In a war it doesn't matter who's right, only who's left.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

New comic

Can't disagree with Bang's logic here.
    The risk of getting Agatha or Gil into the Madness Place is definitely lower than that of sitting on the exploding island hoping things'll work out.
    Mind you, with other Sparks things might look different, but most of those I wouldn't trust anyway.
    "If it lives it can be killed.
    If it is dead it can be eaten."

Ronkong Coma "the way of the bookhunter" III Catacombium
    (Walter Moers "Die Stadt der träumenden Bücher")

29. - Top - End - #29
    Troll in the Playground

Now I see Bang and von Zinzer as the best duo to control (for the lack of a better word) sparks: Bang to motivate them and von Zinzer to reel them in and keep them focused.
    In a war it doesn't matter who's right, only who's left.

30. - Top - End - #30

SamuraiGuy

Bangladesh Dupree: life coach for Sparks.