New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 9 of 49 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181934 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #241
    Ettin in the Playground

Chimera

Default Re: Girl Genius XXXI: Let’s look at it from farther away!

Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    I wonder, how many times did Lucrezia get "defeated" in this sequence? Let's count:
    One!
    Two!
    Three!
    Four!
    Five!
    Six!
    Seven!
    Eight!
    Nine!

Nine times was Lucrezia vanquished today! And she's still not down!

I think even Rasputin would say she's overdoing the bit.
    Rasputin didn't really resist death in any major way, it was almost all after the fact propaganda to make the killing sound more awesome. And that's really the difference. If we were hearing the tale from... the minstrel in this story... and he told about the nine times it took for Lucrezia to actually die (maybe a two-page spread or even four), it would be amusing, interesting, and speak to how powerful she is as a threat. This just feels like padding... the kind webcomic artists who don't have the story all mapped out (like I guess I just assume the Foglios do) might do. It seems dissonant.

2. - Top - End - #242
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Willie the Duck View Post
    Rasputin didn't really resist death in any major way, it was almost all after the fact propaganda to make the killing sound more awesome.
    Yeah I know, but it's a good story. Also it's likely his corpse did sit up on the pyre, which is always fun and may have kickstarted the rumor.
    And that's really the difference. If we were hearing the tale from... the minstrel in this story... and he told about the nine times it took for Lucrezia to actually die (maybe a two-page spread or even four), it would be amusing, interesting, and speak to how powerful she is as a threat. This just feels like padding... the kind webcomic artists who don't have the story all mapped out (like I guess I just assume the Foglios do) might do. It seems dissonant.
    I think this is supposed to be a drawned out death. Lucrezia "comes back" more visibly damaged and unhinged each time. The Foglios are putting her through the wringer ad her last scene (well this version's last scene), it's her still being presented as a threat each time that makes it look more and more ridiculous.

Also, I noticed whil compiling this little list, that the ascension of the Princesses marks the end of a volume and... I am the only one who finds the way this comic is divided very odd? The volumes don't seem to match arcs with set-ups, pay-offs and resolutions of plot points, they just seem to match an arbitrary volume length.

Like in The Order of the Stick, the end of each book feels like an ending whereas this just cuts in the middle of a scene.
    Forum Wisdom

Mage avatar by smutmulch & linklele.

3. - Top - End - #243
    Firbolg in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Yeah I know, but it's a good story. Also it's likely his corpse did sit up on the pyre, which is always fun and may have kickstarted the rumor.

I think this is supposed to be a drawned out death. Lucrezia "comes back" more visibly damaged and unhinged each time. The Foglios are putting her through the wringer ad her last scene (well this version's last scene), it's her still being presented as a threat each time that makes it look more and more ridiculous.

Also, I noticed whil compiling this little list, that the ascension of the Princesses marks the end of a volume and... I am the only one who finds the way this comic is divided very odd? The volumes don't seem to match arcs with set-ups, pay-offs and resolutions of plot points, they just seem to match an arbitrary volume length.

Like in The Order of the Stick, the end of each book feels like an ending whereas this just cuts in the middle of a scene.
    A point that may be being driven home, at length, is that the clank body can't heal despite access to The Flame, while Monahan still looks healthy. And the Foglios may think they'll sell more books if you need to buy the next one to see how this arc ends.

We saw in earlier strips that when Albia shrinks the process generates heat - she hurt Zeetha's hand. I wonder why she's not roughly a bazillion degrees right now?
    This ... is my signature finishing move!

"It's never good when you make a fiend cringe" - MadGrady

According to some online quiz, I'm a 6th level TN Wizard. They didn't give me full XP for all the monsters I've defeated while daydreaming.
    http://easydamus.com/character.html

I am a Ranger Archetype: Gleaming Warden (thx to Ninja Prawn)

4. - Top - End - #244
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Shining Wrath View Post
    We saw in earlier strips that when Albia shrinks the process generates heat - she hurt Zeetha's hand. I wonder why she's not roughly a bazillion degrees right now?
    Maybe she channeled the heat into that POOM.
    I made a webcomic, featuring absurdity, terrible art, and alleged morals.

5. - Top - End - #245

SamuraiGuy

Quote Originally Posted by InvisibleBison View Post
    Maybe she channeled the heat into that POOM.
    But she shrank while unconscious and shouldn't have made any decisions at all.

According to some online quiz, I'm a 6th level TN Wizard. They didn't give me full XP for all the monsters I've defeated while daydreaming.

6. - Top - End - #246
    Colossus in the Playground

Its more likely that clankrezia isnt going down to demonstrate the absolutely inhuman tenacity and determination that has kept her alive and semi sane for these millenia she has been hopscotching around history doing whatever. We still dont have details about much other than she has killed lots of queens and has studied the mirrors for a very long time, but its very clear she has gone through a freaking LOT.
    "Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum"
    Translation: "Sometimes I get this urge to conquer large parts of Europe."

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    Traab is yelling everything that I'm thinking already.
    "If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

7. - Top - End - #247
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Traab View Post
    Its more likely that clankrezia isnt going down to demonstrate the absolutely inhuman tenacity and determination that has kept her alive and semi sane for these millenia she has been hopscotching around history doing whatever. We still dont have details about much other than she has killed lots of queens and has studied the mirrors for a very long time, but its very clear she has gone through a freaking LOT.
    I agree with this. Have we ever actually seen an aspect of Lucrezia die? She's practically a force of nature at this point. This is why I suspect the Muse of Time may be an earlier splinter off of Lucrezia that didn't go into the world conquering business but is rather hopscotching around time and possibly dimensions with her own goals. The Lucrezia that invaded Agatha probably knew of her and her interactions with Van Rijn, thus intuiting how to free her, but I don't believe they are the same person. Anymore, anyway. Or not from this timeline.
    This post hand crafted by a synapse cluster which also processes nuts, shellfish, alcohol, sarcasm, gluten, puns, MSG, caffeine, ennui, grains, tree pollen, abstract logic, GMO, petroleum byproducts, webcomics, 70's-80's sitcom theme music, pet dander, dubstep and EDM, aspartame, every Monty Python episode and movie, MCU, DCU, asbestos, sugar, LotR, ST, SW, PotC, lead, discworld, electric swing, latex, and Disney IPs as well as other controlled substances. Consume at your own risk.

8. - Top - End - #248
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Zazu Yen View Post
    I agree with this. Have we ever actually seen an aspect of Lucrezia die?
    The one in Agatha's head.
    Forum Wisdom

9. - Top - End - #249
    Ogre in the Playground

She was removed from Agatha and transferred into a container. One host away from being free isn't exactly dead.
    Quote Originally Posted by Pickford View Post
    I don't understand your point. Why does it matter what I said?

10. - Top - End - #250
    Colossus in the Playground

It didnt die, it was moved to a different container.
    "Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum"
    Translation: "Sometimes I get this urge to conquer large parts of Europe."

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    Traab is yelling everything that I'm thinking already.
    "If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

11. - Top - End - #251

SamuraiGuy

I agree with this. Have we ever actually seen an aspect of Lucrezia die? She's practically a force of nature at this point. This is why I suspect the Muse of Time may be an earlier splinter off of Lucrezia that didn't go into the world conquering business but is rather hopscotching around time and possibly dimensions with her own goals. The Lucrezia that invaded Agatha probably knew of her and her interactions with Van Rijn, thus intuiting how to free her, but I don't believe they are the same person. Anymore, anyway. Or not from this timeline.
    Still wonder if time-travel Muse Lucrezia didn't see a horrible future and went Full Klaus Wulfenbach to prevent it. "I must rule, because the alternative is rule by the Mime Queen".

12. - Top - End - #252
    Orc in the Playground

Still wonder if time-travel Muse Lucrezia didn't see a horrible future and went Full Klaus Wulfenbach to prevent it. "I must rule, because the alternative is rule by the Mime Queen".
    Indeed. One of my pet theories is that the Muse of Time is Lucrezia from the timeline of Othar's twitter, where Europa ended up a blasted wasteland, and she is now possibly working to prevent that. Which should put her opposed to Lucrezia in part, since Othar believe the Other was responsible for the destruction. Or maybe the Heterodyne boys & Queens caused it in opposition to Lucrezia ("in order to save Europa, we had to destroy it", kind of thing). So maybe SHE told this Lucrezia how to deal with the Queens and kidnapped the Heterodyne boys in this timeline to remove Lucrezia's main competition, not having counted on Agatha filling the power vacuum.

EDIT: The Muse of Time could even be from the time before that. Or from THIS timeline, or the next. Time travel stories are fun! Who knows how many times Time Travel Lucrezia has danced this dance.
    Last edited by Zazu Yen; 2022-08-04 at 11:23 AM.
    This post hand crafted by a synapse cluster which also processes nuts, shellfish, alcohol, sarcasm, gluten, puns, MSG, caffeine, ennui, grains, tree pollen, abstract logic, GMO, petroleum byproducts, webcomics, 70's-80's sitcom theme music, pet dander, dubstep and EDM, aspartame, every Monty Python episode and movie, MCU, DCU, asbestos, sugar, LotR, ST, SW, PotC, lead, discworld, electric swing, latex, and Disney IPs as well as other controlled substances. Consume at your own risk.

13. - Top - End - #253
    Dwarf in the Playground

Flumph

...Maybe this will finally do her in?

Man, if Tarvek were with the crew, they could have ended all this with two words.

14. - Top - End - #254
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Thales View Post
    ...Maybe this will finally do her in?

Man, if Tarvek were with the crew, they could have ended all this with two words.
    Eh, maybe. Now that Lucrezia knows about the issue, she's likely found a way to counter it.

And I doubt this will finish her off, but at least we've learned which side Monahan's joining.

15. - Top - End - #255

SamuraiGuy

"No one saw this coming", said no one who has been watching this battle play out.

Interesting comment about Albia's power "aging". Not merely that the Flame is at ebb, but that Albia is getting old. Is it possible we're about to see Paris redux, where Albia is trying to hold on until a worthy heir appears?

16. - Top - End - #256

Quote Originally Posted by Willie the Duck View Post
    This just feels like padding... the kind webcomic artists who don't have the story all mapped out (like I guess I just assume the Foglios do) might do. It seems dissonant.
    I don't think the plot is all mapped out; notably because we know it has greatly diverged from the original plan. I know the Castle Heterodyne arc certainly felt like stalling for time, and there also have been various bona fide fillers (paper dolls, Weasel Queen, guest comics...) so I wouldn't be surprised.

Like I'm sure there are points that they have mapped out (closing the time loop from the beginning for example) but the journey between these points?
    Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Roamer View Post
    I think he did the only morally acceptable thing by killing everyone.
    Hark! An avatar drawn by Kate Beaton!

17. - Top - End - #257
    Orc in the Playground

Default Re: Girl Genius XXXI: LetÂ’s look at it from farther away!

Quote Originally Posted by Gez View Post
    I don't think the plot is all mapped out; notably because we know it has greatly diverged from the original plan. I know the Castle Heterodyne arc certainly felt like stalling for time, and there also have been various bona fide fillers (paper dolls, Weasel Queen, guest comics...) so I wouldn't be surprised.

Like I'm sure there are points that they have mapped out (closing the time loop from the beginning for example) but the journey between these points?
    I doubt the Foglio's ever pad for story plotting reasons. They're long experienced story tellers who I doubt would ever be stuck on a plot point they didn't see coming so long as a single day. Remember the "cork board of continuity madness"? The taking down of a Lucrezia is a momentous occasion and they wan't it to feel that way, it will read much better when not being read a-page-every-other-day, just as the Castle doesn't feel nearly as dragged out when read straight through. They also probably want the big final to be on a chapter break for print reasons.

Monahan knows who'd be next if Aliba was finished off, but "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" deal only lasts so long as there's a common enemy. Maybe she'll try to negotiate a truce afterwords if she gets to keep the island and what's left of the flame here, maybe she'll go for broke and try to claim England for herself. Then we'll probably have another "Master of Paris" type situation though who would claim the throne isn't as clear.

18. - Top - End - #258

Monahan knows who'd be next if Aliba was finished off, but "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" deal only lasts so long as there's a common enemy. Maybe she'll try to negotiate a truce afterwords if she gets to keep the island and what's left of the flame here, maybe she'll go for broke and try to claim England for herself. Then we'll probably have another "Master of Paris" type situation though who would claim the throne isn't as clear.
    I assume it will be one of Albia's daughters, but hopefully not Neena, as it's pretty clear she isn't remotely ready to take the job.

19. - Top - End - #259
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Gez View Post

I doubt the Foglio's ever pad for story plotting reasons. They're long experienced story tellers who I doubt would ever be stuck on a plot point they didn't see coming so long as a single day. Remember the "cork board of continuity madness"? The taking down of a Lucrezia is a momentous occasion and they wan't it to feel that way, it will read much better when not being read a-page-every-other-day, just as the Castle doesn't feel nearly as dragged out when read straight through. They also probably want the big final to be on a chapter break for print reasons.

20. - Top - End - #260

AssassinGuy

Monahan knows there are other vacant flames, maybe with the help of Albia she can find another one. One that isn’t stuck on an island. (or under the sea)
    * my emphasis

http://dmreference.com/SRD/
    http://paizo.com/pathfinderRPG/prd/

Things that don't kill me make me strong
    Things that do kill me leave me dead

21. - Top - End - #261

SamuraiGuy

Albia said at the start that not everything was bad, and the picture showed Monahan. I think Albia would welcome a fellow Queen and isn't too judgmental about the morals of that Queen. Also, maybe Monahan can take over this Flame, cleanse it, and fix the Deep Dweller / Song Keeper problem.

22. - Top - End - #262
    Titan in the Playground

Albia said at the start that not everything was bad, and the picture showed Monahan. I think Albia would welcome a fellow Queen and isn't too judgmental about the morals of that Queen. Also, maybe Monahan can take over this Flame, cleanse it, and fix the Deep Dweller / Song Keeper problem.
    The Queen of England allowing an Irishwoman to establish another monarchy on a (relatively) close island?
    Forum Wisdom

23. - Top - End - #263

SamuraiGuy

The Queen of England allowing an Irishwoman to establish another monarchy on a (relatively) close island?
    It appears so. Albia must be very lonely to tolerate that, but she refers to Monahan as "sister". I'm unsure if Albia is now large, or if Monahan shrank after Zopping Clankrezia. They seem to be the same size as Clankrezia, but maybe she shrank after being defeated?

Probably the former.

24. - Top - End - #264
    Troll in the Playground

Albia seems to have recovered quite quickly from Lu's beatdown as soon a Lu went down herself. I wonder if she was faking to see what Monahan would do.

25. - Top - End - #265

SamuraiGuy

Quote Originally Posted by eee View Post
    Albia seems to have recovered quite quickly from Lu's beatdown as soon a Lu went down herself. I wonder if she was faking to see what Monahan would do.
    She did speak of repairing the airship and Poom'd one of the Song Keeper's minions rather casually.

I wonder why Lucrezia didn't "DIE!" Monahan at the start?

26. - Top - End - #266
    Ettin in the Playground

Chimera

I wonder why Lucrezia didn't "DIE!" Monahan at the start?
    Was she perhaps not queenified enough at that point?

27. - Top - End - #267
    Troll in the Playground

More likely arrogance, and a bit of cautious power usage.

There's no need to go all out and crush someone with all your power when you can kill them with less, and Lucrezia is prone to underestimating her opponents. If she can defeat Monahan with 5% effort, then why waste 6%? If she can survive 5% then surely she can't handle 8%? So on and so forth.

Notably this Lucrezia has been humbled less often than the one we are used to, not having fought anyone from the main cast until arriving at the undersea dome.

The one we are used to seeing got tricked or overpowered several times, even when she was fully capable of not being beaten because she was overconfident. Hell, she was still being overconfident until the moment she got shoved into the extractor machine.
    Sanity is nice to visit, but I wouldn't want to live there.

28. - Top - End - #268

SamuraiGuy

Albia doesn't seem too upset by the self-destruct mechanism. Is this more arrogance and overconfidence, or are we about to see Albia enter The Madness Place and disarm the self-destruct with a few simple tools?

29. - Top - End - #269
    Troll in the Playground

Flumph

Lucrezia tends to be overconfident, and Albia has had milennia to prepare for her next encounter with the thing that was destroying queens.

With respect to Monahan, I'm not overly surprised - Albia has been alone (or at least without a near-equal) for a very long time. She probably welcomes another Queen arising, as long as it isn't Lucrezia (although I think she was perhaps expecting Agatha to be the one to do it...).
    Warning: This posting may contain wit, wisdom, pathos, irony, satire, sarcasm and puns. And traces of nut.

"The main skill of a good ruler seems to be not preventing the conflagrations but rather keeping them contained enough they rate more as campfires." Rogar Demonblud

"Hold on just a d*** second. UK has spam callers that try to get you to buy conservatories?!? Even y'alls spammers are higher class than ours!" Peelee

30. - Top - End - #270

Albia doesn't seem too upset by the self-destruct mechanism. Is this more arrogance and overconfidence, or are we about to see Albia enter The Madness Place and disarm the self-destruct with a few simple tools?
    I figure they'll all just skedaddle, or toss Lucrezia's body out of blast-range.