New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 14 1234567891011 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Titan in the Playground

Default Madness at Brightmore Abbey IC

Some 35 years ago, Duskwood was afflicted by a terrible curse and has since been blanketed in darkness, apparently never to see the light of the sun again. The once verdant forests and bright farms are now gnarled and twisted, with ash-black bark and twisted thorny plants. It is a dangerous land, where monsters lurk in the darkened woods – enormous spiders the size of a man, worgen packs can tear through an armoured regiment in moments, and the restless undead eternally hungering for the living. It is a perilous place, but one in which the people continue to live.

Despite your group's eclectic mix, the relative peace between the Alliance and Horde has allowed groups of adventurers that pull from across the world to come together and travel in search of fame, fortune, and fun. You're traveling down the northern route towards Darkshire, the only remaining settlement in the area. The roads are well worn, but noticeably more dilapidated than the roads you passed before entering the nocturnal land.

It is, thankfully, a short journey between the northern edge of night and the safety of the town - at least in comparison to the alternative route. No lanterns exist to light the way, though the flickering light of your own torches helps to keep the darkness at bay. In the distance you hear the rustling of trees and the occasional lupine howl, but they're far off, and you are mercifully unimpeded on your travel. Judging time is difficult in Duskwood – there is no sun in the sky with which to track your progress, but considering how many meals you've had and the requirements for sleep, it's likely been roughly two or three days since you crossed the border.

It's the first other source of light and life you've seen since entering the cursed land, and doubtless a welcome one. In total the town is large enough to host perhaps a few thousand, though they are not all in the town itself, with some scattered to nearby farms in an attempt to grow food suitable for maintaining their homes – difficult though that may be. It's a well known truth that Duskwood has essentially been abandoned by Stormwind for years, even now, and mostly is forced to fend for themselves. It's made them hard, but also created a deeply tight-knit community.

Two figures flank the gate to the town, each highlighted by torches set in sconces that burn with flickering flames. They're dressed in entirely practical scale mail with blades at their belts and crossbows slung across their back. Horns hang round the necks of both and their only notable decoration is a small brooch on each of their breasts – an eye set into the flame of a blazing torch, the symbol of the Night Watch Militia. To no great surprise, the gate is shut.

The pair are notable opposites in their tenure. One, a grizzled man of perhaps 50 years with dark skin, a shaved head and a trimmed white beard. A network of scars crisscross his scalp. The other looks barely old enough to hold a sword, perhaps a scant 15 years at most, but he's clearly seen some combat; his right eye is missing, with three massive claw marks raking across his otherwise youthful features. He can't even grow stubble yet, nevermind a beard to match his fellow gate-guard. A one-eyed watchman might not be ideal, but clearly the militia can't be choosers.

When they see your torchlight approaching, the old man raises a directional lantern to highlight you each in turn, which gives a brief moment of blindness as the bright light hinders your vision, though he sets it aside just as quickly and beckons you forwards. His eyes are stern, but not unkind. 5 years ago, you'd likely receive an order to leave at the end of a sword; times have changed, albeit perhaps not so much for Duskwood itself. “Adventurers, are you?” He calls out in a hoarse voice. It's a fair guess, given your party. “Staying or just passing through?”
    “Sure you can trust 'em Dodds?” The youth interjects, apparently not caring that you could hear him. He eyes Jok'lek and Kha'draz with notably more suspicion than the others of your group. A hand rests threateningly on the blade in its scabbard.
    “No." He pauses, to let the word sink in - for you and his companion both. “But we're not in a position to turn away helping hands.” The young man gives a quiet "hmph" in response but doesn't say more, leaving Dodds free to continue addressing you directly. ““I'm sure the Commander has some funds stashed away, if you are looking for work. And if you're looking to spend or stay, I can give directions.”
    DMing:
    Iron Crisis IC | OOC
    Cyre Red IC | OOC

Playing:
    OotA IC | OOC

Master Homebrew Index (5e)

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Madness at Brightmore Abbey IC

Emilia Shadowburn
    Forsaken Shadow Priest
    AC: 13 HP: 32/32
    PP: 18 PIv: 9 PIs: 18
    Conditions: Disguise Self
    Concentration: -

A bit further back in the group, Emilia pulls her cowl into her face even harder. She does prepare for a somewhat hostile welcoming with her own magic. Shadows envelop her skeletal features, making her suddenly look lively and almost welcoming. Yet, she did not approach the guard for closer inspection, enjoying the cover of darkness and bad human eyesight in this dark wood.

Shadows aid me in this negotiation. she puts her hand on her ornate dagger sheathed on her hips stylized with an eye and a tentacle shaped finger guard. We are mercenaries, and work for coin, not for a faction. If you can pay us well, or show us to treasure, we will aid you regardless of our race. Emilia includes herself in the claim readily, even though on a surface level she seems as human as the others. The dark magic of the Guardian has left this area in ruin, and Stormwind did not help, but abandon you. You are right to be wary, but listen to your superior.

If we are allowed to stay, we will gladly use the abode you command us to use.

Spoiler
    Show
    Persuasion(1d20+4)[24] + (1d4)[3]

Spoiler: unused portrait stash
    Show
    https://i.imgur.com/rgNk5Cu.png

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

"Oooh, I love these trees!" Jade said as they went through the gnarled forest. "Think we'll get attacked by a giant spider? I've always wanted a giant spider's venom sacs... well, I want them now, anyway! Ooh! Jok'lek! Did you ever fight a giant spider? How big was it? I want to carve my way through the middle of the biggest thing anyone's ever fought!"

As the lantern shone, Jade covered her eyes. "Ah! My eyes!" She shook her head and stepped up to Dodds. "Hi, I am Jade. This is Kha'draz, he's exploring! That's Emilia, she likes to be nice in terrifying ways. That big guy is Jok'lek, watch out for him, he's almost as strong as me. This is Skipsy, from the explorer's league. She knows how to use a gun! Like, almost as well as a goblin! And I'm just happy to be here."
    Jade flashed them her winning smile.

"I will pay you THIS MUCH money," Jade reached into her coin purse and pulled out a handful of gold coins, "If you can tell us where the Deck of Many Things is. Half as much money for information on the Deck of a Few Things, and I'm not interested in the Deck of One Thing. We already have that one. Oh! Oh! Oh!" Jade jumped just to make sure everyone knew she was excited. "You said mister Commander would hire us? What for? I'm really good at killing things! Ask any of the things I've killed!"
    Spoiler: Check Out my Writing!
    Show

https://www.patreon.com/everskendra

I post short stories in the middle of every month, and if you want to follow my novels as they’re edited and written, you can join as a patron!

4. - Top - End - #4
    Barbarian in the Playground

MonkGirl

"I've killed my fair share of giant spiders, but mostly ones that be living in caves instead of the trees." Jok'lek shares with Jade before the approach. "Though venom sacs are hard to come by, fragile things that take time to carve out. Ah, looks like there's a human village." He shields his eyes from their lantern briefly, his anger flaring up in a balled fist before immediately calming down to join the conversation.

"Indeed, we are adventurers. I am Jok'lek, Darkspear warrior. Hir'eek's guidance upon you." He puts a hand to his chest, then raises his fist in a respectful salute. Jade and Emilia make their introductions and offers, and the troll follows up. "We are indeed looking for a magical item last heard was here, to make sure no one terrible gets their hands on it. As my friends have expressed so far, we are more than willing to stay where you decide, and to help around town while we're here, so long as we can get that information."

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

Skipsy and Ox, her mechanical battle chicken, travel at a brisk jog/waddle to keep up with the others. "Duskwood's spiders - huff - are pretty notorious - hoo - for their size, - huh - temperament, and high reproductive rate!" She wheezes. trying to maintain her pace, "You can see - hnng - their webs and eggs just - hah - about everywhere. Some very brave people - gulp - make trips out here to - cough - gather things like silk, - eugh - meat, and, yes Jade, - eugh - poison glands." She takes one last deep breath as she finishes her explanation, "For clothes, bandages and antivenom!"

Skipsy waves excitedly at the guards, and starts positively beaming at their suggestion that she, grouped with the others, is an adventurer, "Sure are!" The notion seems to have given her a second wind, "Skipsy, Skipsy Turncrank, archaeologist in good standing with the Explorer's League!" She salutes alongside Jok'lek, barely taller than the troll's knee.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

Emilia Shadowburn
    Forsaken Shadow Priest

Emilia's eyes glare daggers in the backsides of her friends. With a smile, she then continues. I am sure these fine men are not interested in our alchemical and culinary expeditions.

Against all odds, the guards were pretty open, and her new group would test their chances by rambling about spiders for a solid three minutes. Like the Horde's finest assortment weren't looking dangerous enough, they were already talking about poison, spider meat and sacs. She sighs, though through her ruined lungs the raspy sigh sounds more like wind chilling through an abandoned house.

We would be delighted to get some directions.

Show
    Last edited by Spore; 2022-06-07 at 02:49 AM.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

Though the youth briefly looks interested in the offer of gold, Dodds waves it away before any can change hands, his face remaining impassively stoic as he does so. “Militia pays us well enough, can't take extra." He's not quite quoting a regulation at you, but his tone isn't far off. “Don't know about this 'Deck' you talked about." He casts an eye to his partner in stopping crime, but the youth shakes his head too. “But could be someone else in town does." He thumbs a hand to the gate behind him, still shut. “Keep following this road straight, it'll take you to the town square, can't miss it. Most people pass through there every day, could be a good place to start asking around. Scarlet Raven Tavern's there too if you need a place to stay, and the Town Hall's nearby - it's got a big clocktower. Chances are you'll find the Commander there, if she's not on patrol." Whether used to adventurer quirks or simply too professional, he doesn't engage with the talk of spiders.

He pauses and gives your group one more look over, scrutinising you each in turn. “One last thing then. Everyone gets the same warning: Cause trouble, and you leave town. Cause a lot of trouble, we'll hang you - if you're lucky. Duskwood has enough problems, we aren't looking to add more. Keep your weapons stowed. Welcome to Darkshire. Light guard you." It's delivered in the same stoic tone as before, there's no malice in the 'threat', merely making you aware of the facts. Dodds reaches back a hand and knocks twice on the gate, the dull thump of gauntlet on wood reverberating through it. A moment passes and then it squeaks open on its wooden hinges. Two more guards stand on the other side, and you're waved through into the town proper.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show

Giving a chance for any more questions/destinations you're concerned with before moving along.
    DMing:
    Iron Crisis IC | OOC
    Cyre Red IC | OOC

Playing:
    OotA IC | OOC

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

"Weapons! I have a really cool one!" Jade almost reached for her battle-ax, then frowned and gripped her hands together.
    "No weapons," she repeated to herself like a mantra. "No weapons." She started running into the gates, but stopped in her tracks and pulled from the bag at her waist a journal and ink pen. The journal was titled List of Friends. Jade scrawled down
    Dodds
    Grumpy kid

Then she stuffed the journal away and resumed heading inside.
    Show

I post short stories in the middle of every month, and if you want to follow my novels as they’re edited and written, you can join as a patron!

9. - Top - End - #9

MonkGirl

"Scarlet Raven Tavern, and the commander may be at the town hall which got the clock tower," Jok'lek repeats aloud to be certain he heard right, then nods his head affirmatively. "And of course, no trouble. Not a problem. We appreciate your help." He makes sure his weapons are secure and glances at everyone but Jade, who's already gone ahead as expected, to make sure any questions or concerns are addressed before they head in.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Titan in the Playground

Emilia Shadowburn
    Forsaken Shadow Priest

Emilia approaches the older guard. Are there any unsavory types we should avoid? I don't want to be pulled into a fight, and then reprimanded for defending myself. she says with an almost sincere smile. I don't care about your underworld here. We need a base of operations, we are not here to start something. She looks around.

There are far more lucrative townships around. she says with a weak smile.

Show

11. - Top - End - #11
    Titan in the Playground

Dodds' frown deepens, the furrow in his brow creasing at the question. "Darkshire's a good village. 'Unsavoury types' don't stick around. We make sure of that." A look of curiosity crosses his face and he leans in towards Emilia, his gaze scrutinising her further as he inhales through his nose. "So make sure you don't become one, if you want to stay."

Show

I'll move along to town centre later today, last chance for questions but seems like you're good for now.
    DMing:
    Iron Crisis IC | OOC
    Cyre Red IC | OOC

Playing:
    OotA IC | OOC

12. - Top - End - #12
    Titan in the Playground

Darkshire's buildings are mostly wooden, though they're interspersed with some of stone. While certainly more well lit than the woods at large and the path you took here, pockets of darkness are regular and the flickering of lantern and torch make shadows leap and twist in the corners of your eyes. It would be easy to hide in this place, in the darkened gaps between lights, but the cobblestone road you walk to the centre of town is at least generally well lit, and you can abandon own lighting. Those you pass on the road give you a wide berth, eyeing you with suspicion, curiosity and - in the case of Kha'draz - barely concealed disdain. Orcish history in the area is one of cooperation with humans.

The town centre is only a short walk away and it's immediately clear when you enter it. A wider space, its core is dominated by an ornate stone fountain, a far cry from the otherwise practical town that heralds back to a time before the curse wreathed the land in shadow. The clocktower spoken of is here, of course, attached to the largest building in sight. Its entryway is guarded, but the door is open, with light streaming out into the square. A glance up at the clocktower tells you it's late afternoon, or perhaps early morning. More likely the former, in your case. The timing would explain the number of people. Even the quiet, gloom-swept town needs to function and there's a number of vendors selling goods from small carts or stalls.

Perhaps most visually notable is a Night Elf, her age indeterminate as all elves are, selling flowers. A stark contrast to the rest of the town, their colours are bright and vibrant, catching the flickering torchlight in reds, yellows, purples and greens that seem to defy the decay that otherwise defines the area. Her wares seem relatively popular, and there's a steady stream of people who greet her warmly, buying a flower here, a bouquet there while sharing a pleasant conversation. Other stalls have more expected fare - clothing, tools, trinkets carved of wood and forged from metal. Some are in the shapes of protective talismans, though chances are that faith is the shield that offer, rather than tangible magic if the craftsmanship and price tags are any indication.

The majority of those you see are human, to no great surprise, but there are a few dwarves and gnomes among them.

Not far off is another building from which you can hear carousing and good cheer, as well as smell roasted meats. The hanging sign outside its door bears the faded image of a blood-red bird, and the worn letters of Scarlet Raven Tavern. Further away, just outside of the square, you can hear the rythmic hammering of metal on metal, and a plume of smoke steadily rising tells you they're probably the local smith. A larger building (though not quite the size of the town hall), they are probably the only one that services the entire town.

Show

Feel free to split up if you want to cover more ground in a shorter time period for searching out information, I'm happy to run multiple scenes at once.
    DMing:
    Iron Crisis IC | OOC
    Cyre Red IC | OOC

Playing:
    OotA IC | OOC

13. - Top - End - #13
    Titan in the Playground

Jade was intrigued by the idea of a guy paying her to kill things, and ran off to the town hall to find Mr. Commander.
    She pushed on the doors of the Town Hall with her powerful goblin muscles.

"Hello, I'm Jade!" She introduced herself. "I'm looking for Mr. Commander, I'm really good at killing things!"
    Show

14. - Top - End - #14

MonkGirl

The place was quite nice for its location, at least as far as human towns go. Peaceful, though the number of guards was not lost on Jok'lek, and neither were the wary eyes they and some townsfolk gave him, and the sheer number started raising his temper. He shuts his eyes and takes a deep breath to let his anger flow out, like he was taught during the Pandaria expeditions, and opens his eyes to find Jade has run off to the town hall, likely to talk about killing things, and he facepalms. He'd grown to love the little goblin, as he did most of the group, but he'd gotten careless and should've expected this from the get-go.

"For the love of- I'm goin' ahead to the town hall to make sure she doesn't accidentally get us kicked out. Get us situated in the tavern, while I try and sort this out-" he starts explaining his idea as he starts for the town hall, rushing while shouting the final suggestion. "But if anyone wants to help, please feel free!"

He makes it to the Town Hall, the doors already pushed open by the eager goblin, and steps behind her to stay close - whatever Jade said a moment ago, it didn't seem to be winning over anyone in here at a glance.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Titan in the Playground

Emilia Shadowburn
    Forsaken Shadow Priest

Oh, for Light's sake. Jade, get back here! Emilia does not sound but exclaim as loud as a worried mother would. Putting her hand onto the head of the goblin, Jade can feel the bony claw. Emilia tries to pull the head of the strong goblin to her face, but her weak undead frame would be too weak to really force her. One: The commander is a woman. Two: We don't go around bragging how good we are at murdering. I can tell you are excited to get your fighting on, but we have to behave a bit. That being said, Emilia rises once again.

As my little friend said, we would like to meet the Nightwatch commander. We are mercenaries in search of work.

Show

16. - Top - End - #16
    Titan in the Playground

The people pushed past by Jade, and in pursuit of her, are a mix of clerks dressed in neat finery and more Night Watch militia in the same scale mail you'd seen before. A few put their hands to their blades, though none draw them. The expression on their faces say they're quite willing to do so, however, should the need come to it, but you're not blocked from your passage. A short journey through a winding passage brings you to the main room of the town hall proper, a long chamber dotted with tables, chairs, desks, a lectern for speeches and rows upon rows of books upon shelves that line the walls. To your left, a group of militia stood clustered around a drafting table with a map of Darkshire, quietly talking. To your right, a small group of officials clustered in hushed words while a scribe took notes to their side. "Commander." A militiawoman who had quietly, and almost invisibly, slipped into step behind you makes herself known, calling to the group at the maptable. "These...mercenaries wish to speak with you."

A black-haired woman stands back from the table, before nodding to the others with her, who disperse immediately leaving you free to approach. She bears no markings or signifiers that she holds rank over any of the other militia, no medals pinned to a chest, no ornate cloak or fancy armour. She wears the same that the rest do, complete with dents from battle. This is no noble who leads from the safety of the keep, that is certian. Perhaps in her mid-30s at most, her stance and presence are that of a veteran soldier. Even if she's not the oldest member of the Watch, she holds herself as a leader, and the air of authority about her is clear. "Thank you, Paige." The soft-stepped soldier salutes, before moving away. "Commander Althea Ebonlocke, Night's Watch Militia." She has the same crisp professionalism that Dodds has - if anything she's more abrupt and to the point. "Looking for work? There's plenty to go around. Can you scout?"
    Last edited by Amnestic; 2022-06-09 at 05:55 AM.
    DMing:
    Iron Crisis IC | OOC
    Cyre Red IC | OOC

Playing:
    OotA IC | OOC

17. - Top - End - #17
    Titan in the Playground

"Mercenaries? We're not mercenaries. We're just a band of travelers with no particular loyalty to any one place willing to fight in exchange for compensation."
    Jade frowned. "Wait."

But her existential crisis could wait. She pulled out her List of Friends and added Commander Althea Ebonlocke.
    "Can I scout? Absolutely! The wilderness is where I thrive! Why, every winter my mother would put me in the snow pile to guard the house. 'Now don't come back in,' she'd say. And there I'd stay, living off the land! I learned how to make a warmish place to live! Out of ICE and SNOW! It was great! Question though: When you say 'scout,' do you want us to go out, find danger, come back and warn you about it? Or go out, find danger, and eliminate it before it has a chance to bother you? I confess I have more experience with the other one!"
    Show

18. - Top - End - #18
    Titan in the Playground

Emilia Shadowburn
    Forsaken Shadow Priest

Of course we can scout. And we are capable to keep ourselves alive even if we would be caught- Emilia says. Her smile becomes overwide, almost as if she was waiting for this. And we can interrogate as well, if you need us to. Pry information from loose minds. the priest sends telepathically to the commander. Do not be distressed. I will not use the powers granted to me on anyone here. She pauses for a second, and then adds. There is something private I would want only you to 'hear' so to speak. Do you accept? She offers a hand to grab for the commander.

Spoiler: If she accepts
    Show
    The commander feels not a warm human hand but a skeletal hand in her own. It reverberates in her mind.I am a dead woman, Commander Ebonlocke. I died during the Scourge, and this is but a phantasm to calm your men and townsfolk. I want to help you, because just as Stormwind and Dalaran abandoned us, they also left you.

And I do not want to start our work relation with a lie.

The priest then bows as courteously as she can.

Show

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ogre in the Playground

Skipsy waves to everyone running off to meet the commander, "Let me know if we're getting kicked out of town! I'll get us a spot at the tavern!" She strolls over to the tavern, thankful for the chance to walk instead of jog, with Ox jerkily waddling behind. The smithy was of some interest to her, poor guy was probably overworked and could use a pair of helping gnomish hands, but there'd be time for that later. For now, rooms.

Dodging through legs both human and chair, Skipsy approaches the bar and, using Ox as a temporary footstool, clambers up on to a barstool. She waves to get the barkeep's attention (then for a few seconds after as an excessively friendly 'hello'), "Heya! My friends and I just got in, they'll be here soon." Taking a deep breath, she prepares to order for the group, "Could I get a glass of wine, a mug of spiced apple cider, two mugs of ale, a loaf of bread, a wedge of whatever cheese you have on offer, and a few cuts of that delicious smelling creature over the fire?" She smiles broadly, before a thought occurs and she claps her hands excitedly, "Oh! If you have it, can we get two spider sausages? I think Jade'd like those."
    Last edited by Khosan; 2022-06-09 at 08:05 PM.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Titan in the Playground

Town Hall

Commander Ebonlocke takes a step back from Emilia's hand with martial precision. "Anything you have to say can be said aloud. Enter my mind again unbidden and you will be arrested." You might have expected a raised voice or anger in her response, but it's in the same measured tone as her previous statements. Flat and punctual, a simple statement of boundaries - nothing more or less. She moves past it swiftly, letting no awkwardness hang in the air as she shifts to explaining the task. "Travelers moving along the central road in Duskwood have been coming under more attacks than usual as of late. Some who survived report gnolls, perhaps moved south from Elwynn. Lord Ebonlocke believes these to be a nuisance, but ultimately no great concern. I disagree." She gestures to a point on the map east of the Twilight Grove, on the close side of the mountains. At a guess, it's likely two or three days hike away if you travel there as the crow flies. "Brightmore Abbey has been abandoned by humanity for generations and all manner of creature has taken up residence over the years. While they kept to themselves this wasn't an issue, but if the gnolls are raiding I can't leave it alone. Find out how many there are, what defenses they have, and then report back. 600 gold coins in payment." She pauses to allow the information to sink in, then adds: "Questions?"

Tavern

The inside of the tavern is warm as expected, with one wall dominated by an enormous fireplace and its roaring hearth. They clearly have no fear of the fire spreading though, as much of the building and furniture are carved from wood. The smell of meat, beer and sweat permeate the air, though thankfully more the former than the latter. Ambient chatter punctuated with laughs and cheers surrounds you, and no one gives Skipsy any particular notice.

There's only one person at the bar at the moment, a woman perhaps in her mid 20s, with brown skin and shining amber eyes. There's no sense of melancholy or sadness within, though that could just be how she is while she works - a perfectly sculpted mask of hospitality. Or maybe she's just as positive as she seems. She listens to Skipsy's order, carefully scribing a note into a wax tablet as she nods along, with no objections raised to any of the requests. "Aye, can do love, can do. I'll start a tab for you and yours, yeah? Grab a table that's free, we'll bring it to you when it's ready." The slight twang to her accent indicates she's spent time in dwarven lands, though not much more. The inn is alive with activity around you as the barkeep slides one of the tablets behind her to the kitchen at her back. Most of those clustered around the spacious tavern floor look to be labourers, wearing the heavy duty clothing of those who till the fields or move goods. Most seem local, and likely of little import to you.

There's a few that catch the eye scattered around however - a draenei woman wearing pristine white robes is sat alone, cradling a goblet of wine in one hand as reads a thin book clasped in the other, a man whose build is that of a labourer, but his age and clothing mark him as one retired from that life though his aged eyes still hold a keen and discerning gaze, and a young woman in traveling gear sat alone in the darkest corner in the room, nursing an ale as her eyes flicker between those who enter with a manic energy.
    Last edited by Amnestic; 2022-06-10 at 02:37 PM.
    DMing:
    Iron Crisis IC | OOC
    Cyre Red IC | OOC

Playing:
    OotA IC | OOC

21. - Top - End - #21

MonkGirl

"Jok'lek, of the Darkspear," the troll introduces himself to Commander Ebonlocke, stepping aside from Jade and a step toward her to converse properly. "Straight to the point, I like that... Aye, scouting's within our skillset. There anything in particular you lookin' for? Duskwood clearly be a dangerous place, but you ask rather quickly for someone so experienced in the matter." He tries to clarify their task, almost certain this has something to do with their goal of the Deck, even if she wasn't aware or it's something tangential as new bandit camps.

He listens as the Commander explains the reports of gnoll attacks on travelers and nods along. "Gnoll attacks.. Alright, we can look into that. Gnolls be quite nasty, don't need more in a place already dangerous. Not sure they'd..." his last sentence much quieter and trails off into silent thought, studying the map. "Two day trip.. perhaps three, and back. May need some time to rest after our travel, but we'll go the moment we're ready. One question, though- have there been any notable details about these gnoll attacks, aside from the frequency?"

22. - Top - End - #22
    Titan in the Playground

Her answer is as prim and precise as always, with no hesitation on recalling details. "Make whatever preparations you need. Herble Baubbletump runs a general store nearby if you need additional supplies and Morg is the head smith if you need weapons or armour fitting. Information from the attacks are scattered and unclear, but two reports said the gnolls stopped chasing after the people dumped what they were carrying. Their pack leader might be more interested in coin than killing. Make no mistake though - they're still killers. This job is just to scout, but no one in Darkshire will complain if you put some down along the way."
    DMing:
    Iron Crisis IC | OOC
    Cyre Red IC | OOC

Playing:
    OotA IC | OOC

23. - Top - End - #23
    Titan in the Playground

Automatically, Jade divided 600 by 5. "Hey, a nice even one-twenty for each of us. Isn't that great, Jok'lek?" Jade jumped up on his shoulder and climbed until she could sit down pretty comfortably.
    "My question, related to this task, is if there happens to be a bounty out on gnolls. 'Cuz if we're going to where they are anyway, and I could bring back like four gnoll heads, do you think I could turn that in for additional money? You know, I'm already making a trip, hoping to get in some hunting, right?"
    Jade flashed her new friend her winning smile.
    Show

24. - Top - End - #24
    Titan in the Playground

"Until I know what I'm dealing with, I can't authorise any bounties. Discretionary funds are limited." She doesn't shy away from this fact, there's no embarrassment in her bluntness that they simply might not be able to pay if you arrived with too many gnolls killed. "For now, you're being paid to scout and report, that's all. The situation might change depending on what you find out."
    DMing:
    Iron Crisis IC | OOC
    Cyre Red IC | OOC

Playing:
    OotA IC | OOC

25. - Top - End - #25
    Titan in the Playground

"Got it!" Jade said. "I have no more questions, then! Into the wilderness! After sleeping!"
    Jade leaned next to Jok'lek's ear and whispered, which for her was quite a lot like yelling. "Hey, we should buy a lot of salt. That way we can bring a bunch of gnoll meat back and the town can have a biiiiiig feast! But shh! It's a surprise!"
    Show

26. - Top - End - #26
    Titan in the Playground

Emilia Shadowburn
    Forsaken Shadow Priest

Emilia lowers her hand clutching it in her own feeling the bony structure underneath. She was a fraud, a thin veil of humanity between her and being a monster. She pauses for a few moments before responding. Maybe we exchange more information once we trust each other more.

Yes, I have an easy question for you. We are new to these parts. Aside from gnolls and our group's extensive encounters with spiders, what are other threats of the area? I have heard of feral worgen, of undead and even demons. What of it is true?

Show

27. - Top - End - #27
    Titan in the Playground

"Not counting the gnolls the primary threats in Duskwood are the restless undead, feral worgen packs, roaming beasts such as wolves or giant spiders, and ogres - in that order." She gestures again to the map for your attention. "Undead tend to congregate around Raven Hill and Tranquil Garden, you're unlikely to face many if you travel only between Brightmore and back. Likewise, the ogres stick mostly to their mound unless provoked. Worgen and beast packs lurk in the woods; they'll likely be most of what you find on the route west. Demons are a rarity. For a time the Twilight Grove spawned creatures of nightmare, but it has been dormant for a number of years, I wouldn't expect to face any such creatures, though Brightmore's proximity may have had unusual effects." It didn't seem in her nature to shrug, and she doesn't, but if she were someone else, they might have done at this point. "Hopefully the scouting will tell you more."
    DMing:
    Iron Crisis IC | OOC
    Cyre Red IC | OOC

Playing:
    OotA IC | OOC

28. - Top - End - #28

MonkGirl

Jok'lek was plenty used to the goblin perching on occasion at this point, but it didn't make it less comfortable long term. "You got it, Commander Ebonlocke. We'll reconvene at the tavern and we'll go once we're prepared" He walks out, Jade still perched on his shoulder, and when her offer comes in he gives it some thought, replying quietly in kind. "Gnoll meat or not, salt is definitely worth getting.. But I am tempted by the idea. Ya don't think they'd find it weird to eat gnoll?" Once the pair arrive at the tavern, he's getting sore and lets Jade back down, opening the door for the both of them and looking for the Skipsy and Kha'draz.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Ogre in the Playground

"Excellent! Thank you, we'll be right over there," Skipsy hops off the stool, bouncing off Ox, and quickly making her way over to an empty table near the entrance. Climbing up on to a chair (again with Ox's help), she places her bag on the table, picks up her oh-so-helpful mechanical friend and places him neatly in her lap. Retrieving her tinker's tools, she places a few coins on the table and, with a little arcane fiddling, quickly enchants them, creating a tune familiar to some, though much tinnier.

Content with the ambience the music provides, Skipsy (humming along with the tune) takes a look around the tavern. She squints at the draenei, trying to identify the book in her hand, but makes no move to draw the woman's attention away from her reading. After Skipsy shares a brief glance with the woman in the corner, she waves enthusiastically to her.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Titan in the Playground

A 4lb bag of salt is quickly acquired for the low price of two silver coins from the general store that the Commander directs you to - the balding gnome shopkeep seems only mildly interested in what adventurers would need with such vast quantities of salts, but doesn't press the issue, and soon enough the party rejoins to its full strength of four inside the tavern. You do get some curious looks, but most of the patrons stick to themselves - there's no need to sour the ale by causing trouble, after all.

A glance at the book in the draenei's hands tells Skipsy the title is likely "Gilnean Nights."

Spoiler: History DC7
    Show

Gilnean Nights is the third book in the so-called 'Romance of the Seven Kingdoms' series (a sequel to the first 'Red Mask Rebellion' and the second 'Kul Tyranny'), a collection of adventure-romance novels centred around a young Dalaranian mage pushed into a position far beyond her talents (or so she thinks) due to a twist of fate, as she is forced to navigate a twisting maze of sinister plots and romantic interest in both her childhood friend - an archer from Southshore with not a drop of magic in his body - and an exceedingly charming elven noble whose power entices and scares the protagonist in equal measure. Its ease of reading has made it a popular series sold the world over, and though some scenes can be steamy they never cross the line into full adult content.

The goblin author insists that it's based on dramatised true stories, and its popularity eventually forced Dalaran's Kirin Tor to denounce that as a falsehood, though whether they're telling the truth remains a hot button issue among fans, with most believing that at least some of what is written is true.

When Skipsy waves to the other young woman in the darkened corner, she gives a slight jump and looks away swiftly, pointedly keeping her eyes averted. Not long afterwards, a waitress arrives at the table and lays out the requested food and drinks. "If you need anythin', just holler." She says, before moving on to others, and you're left to talk over your next steps in peace.
    DMing:
    Iron Crisis IC | OOC
    Cyre Red IC | OOC

Playing:
    OotA IC | OOC