New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 10 of 14 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #271
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Madness at Brightmore Abbey IC

Ox, who'd been keeping to himself as per usual, suddenly comes to attention at the mention of a 'chicken incident.' His legs telescopically extend until he's able to peer over the counter and make eye contact with the storekeep. He clucks. Skipsy giggles and pats Ox on the head, "Don't be silly, Ox, that's nothing to do with you!" Ox narrows his eyes, clucks once more, and slowly, very slowly, retracts his legs.

"You should try to get back some time! The cleaning crews have done a miraculous job cleaning up all the fallout, it's really something else. And don't worry about the cart, I don't want to be too much trouble!" Skipsy pulls Ox's wings and tail upwards, shaping him into an impromptu shopping cart, "And those potions are perfect, I'll be back for them in a bit!" Skipsy scampers off with Ox, to browse Baubbletump's baubles.

Roughly halfway through her list, the gnome finds herself staring down an abacus, muttering, "Does Jade know how to use one of these? I mean...she asked for one, so maybe she does? But even if she does, she doesn't need one, I'm always gonna be right there. But...she asked, so I guess...boop," she places the abacus on Ox's back, next to a stack of hunting traps. She rounds a corner with Ox, and, as she absent-mindedly browses, she shouts to Baubbletump, "Any interesting rumors around town recently? My friends and I are adventurers, so weird stuff is kind of our business."

2. - Top - End - #272
    Titan in the Playground

Emilia Shadowburn
    Forsaken Shadow Priest
    AC: 13 HP: 30/32
    PP: 18 PIv: 9 PIs: 18
    Conditions: -
    Concentration: -

A common goal? Emilia laughs in her raspy voice. Your lot would smite my kind. But I am trying to be more open from this day on. We are mercenaries. What do you want? The priest can't help but feel uncomfortable in the presence of a paladin. Her whole body language is defensive, and she keeps her distance for now. Surely you can see what I am?

3. - Top - End - #273
    Titan in the Playground

Town Hall

Althea gives you a nod, indicating you are dismissed, absent any further points you wish to bring.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show

I'm assuming you're heading to the tavern next, but I'll just wait to see if Jok'lek has anything else they want to say first.

Town Streets

"You are someone I could cut down and the townsfolk would name me hero for doing so." Ser Oakly replies calmly, without making any move towards the large warhammer across his back. He stands passive, but the tension in his body tells Emilia that he could leap into battle at a heartbeat's breadth. "But to what end? I have a higher purpose, one that I would hire you and your group to fulfill, if you are amenable to it. The chapel in Brightmore Abbey has been corrupted, and I would see it cleansed. The Light brought me here to do so, of this I know in my heart and soul. Yet...I am a man of no few years and know well my limitations. I would hire your group to safeguard me and assist in the cleansing." He pats a sack of gold at his hip. "Though I would hope that doing a good deed is its own reward, I know not all share my faith and devotion. I would offer 2000 gold for seeing this task to fruition."

General Store

"Looking for work are you? Well there's definitely some to go around. Madam Eva, she's a local seer of sorts, knows all about weird things. Couldn't hurt to check in with her." The friendly shopkeep jots down a few directions on a piece of spare parchment. "Other then that, there's this old paladin type who's been knocking around town for a while doing odd jobs putting down undead where he can, but seems to have bigger plans. Keeps trying to hire adventuring groups but every one who passes through seems to turn him down." Baubbletump sighs. "Can't help but wonder if he'd be better off going back home and recruiting in Stormwind, but Light knows that Duskwood has never seen much help from those to the north."
    DMing:
    Iron Crisis IC | OOC
    Cyre Red IC | OOC

Playing:
    OotA IC | OOC

Master Homebrew Index (5e)

4. - Top - End - #274
    Titan in the Playground

Emilia Shadowburn
    Forsaken Shadow Priest

The old Emilia would act hostile and defensive, but the forsaken priestess forced herself not to spew abrasive comments. I have not shared your faith in a decade, but I am trying to walk in the Light again. Her thoughts instantly move to her group. We would gladly accept, if you mentored me. I was raised as a priest during the Second War, and died there; turned to the dark and now I am trying to get back. But I am by far not the only monstrous thing in our group. I travel with a gnome, a troll and a goblin. she finally goes.

After a brief pause gauging the paladin's response the undead continues: How do you intend on paying us? And are you prepared to fight royal guardians? Because I am unsure if they are even corrupted or just defend the halls against the Horde and undead intruders such as me. Spelling out her 'condition' was something she kept to see the response of Oakley.

Spoiler
    Show
    (1d20+8)[22] Insight if he will pay us, and if he means harm to the Horde and undead.

5. - Top - End - #275
    Ogre in the Playground

"Aw, he sounds nice! I'll keep an eye out for him!" Skipsy, finishing up her run, examines a suspiciously magical hat, a Hat of Vermin. No feather, so not exactly what Jade asked for, but the idea of some small furry (or slippery) friends was very appealing. Skipsy places it on Ox's head and gently guides her ferrous fowl back to the counter, "Alright, if I've done the math right that should be three hundred and thirty three gold, a very nice round number! But I'll let you count everything up to double check, Mr. Baubbletump!" After arranging her haul neatly on the counter, Skipsy begins counting out the gold.

6. - Top - End - #276
    Titan in the Playground

Town Streets

"I'm too old to be taking on students, and our paths will diverge once the chapel is purified." Ser Oakley waves off the suggestion of mentor, a bit of his age showing in the process. "If you've had a priest's training you will know as much philosophy as I do, everything else is practical experience, and there's no substitute for that." He scratches one of his many facial scars absentmindedly. "You'll be paid in coin in full, minted in Stormwind, on completion of the job. Rest assured I have saved for some time to afford assistance. I'm prepared to do what I must. Little else matters." His expression gives off the impression of one who is set on their goal to the exception of all else. "I understand you may need some time to discuss it with the others of your group. You will most likely find me in the chapel, but if I'm not there Delan will know where I am."

General Store

Baubbletump potters around gathering what's required for Skipsy and dutifully collects the counted coin, handing over the goods with a smile and invitation to come spend more gold whenever you want.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show

Again, guessing you're done here and ready to go back to the tavern?
    DMing:
    Iron Crisis IC | OOC
    Cyre Red IC | OOC

Playing:
    OotA IC | OOC

7. - Top - End - #277
    Titan in the Playground

Jade hops on Jok’lek’s shoulder.
    "Let’s get everyone a room for the night, eh? Maybe order them all something hot to eat when we meet up."

Once at the tavern, Jade orders a round for the table (mili for herself) and the meatiest thing on the menu for Jok’lek, with a stew for Skipsy.
    "Nothing for me, thanks. My friend Skipsy is going to get me a meat pie while she’s out."
    Spoiler: Check Out my Writing!
    Show

https://www.patreon.com/everskendra

I post short stories in the middle of every month, and if you want to follow my novels as they’re edited and written, you can join as a patron!

8. - Top - End - #278
    Titan in the Playground

Emilia Shadowburn
    Forsaken Shadow Priest

There was little time or reason to negotiate without her friends, so Emilia indeed returned to the booked rooms in the inn before her glamer fell off. Her emotions were not stirred up like that since the day she died. She needed a bit of a break now. Emotions could be a bad thing for the undead, she knew quite a few forsaken who went mad in an instant, or slowly over months over their emotions.

The others find her staring at a wall or out the window when they return.

9. - Top - End - #279
    Ogre in the Playground

Skipsy spends a little time trying to find the paladin Baubbletump mentioned, but nothing more than peering down side streets on her way to the tavern. Before she joins her friends, she puts in an order for the meat pie, a whole meat pie, Jade wanted. She finally joins them, "Hey guys! We gotta stop by the smithy first thing tomorrow, general store doesn't have any weapons in stock. But! Here's everything else and some extra goodies!" She hands Jade her new hat, complete with a raven feather she found on the ground and carefully attached, "Your hat! It's magic! Not very magic, but it's still good fun, you can pull tiny animals out!" Skipsy then moves on to the rest of the haul, neatly placing them on the table in front of the goblin, "And your pie is on the way! I dunno if Baubbletump sells any fresh ones, and if he did...no offense to him, he's a very nice man! But gnomish cooks can be a bit...odd. I should know! I am one!"

10. - Top - End - #280
    Titan in the Playground

"Skipsy!" Jade hugs her.
    "Emilia went inside the room, so once the meals arrive we should bring them in to talk. Althea says if we can convince the elves to join in a war on the Alley we can make a full thousand gold coins. And since we’re going there anyway to get uh…"
    Jade winks.
    "The thing, I figured we should take the job!" Once the meat pie arrives, Jade shoves her face into it.
    "Glurm mmmtonp. Lts gaaaaw." And not pausing her eating, she leads the way into the room.
    "Hmmp gmlga."
    Show

I post short stories in the middle of every month, and if you want to follow my novels as they’re edited and written, you can join as a patron!

11. - Top - End - #281
    Titan in the Playground

The interior of the tarvern is a little bit more boisterous than your last visit, and with slightly more colourful patrons. As Althea said, another group of what look to be adventurers are gathered around a table. There are five in all - a human woman with silvered hair, that nevertheless appears quite youthful, a gnome in robes bearing a Kirin Tor sigil with a line through it with impeccably coiffed hair and moustache, a golden-eyed thalassian elf, a white-furred tauren woman whose belt rattles with small totems, and a grim looking dark-skinned dwarf with a massive black beard. They are loudly toasting their victory over the ettin, and even a cursory moment of listening in indicates they fully intend to return to Brightmore to plunder its treasures.

The only other individual that catches the attention is the manic looking woman in traveling gear from before. It's hard to tell if she even left her spot since last you saw her.
    DMing:
    Iron Crisis IC | OOC
    Cyre Red IC | OOC

Playing:
    OotA IC | OOC

12. - Top - End - #282
    Barbarian in the Playground

MonkGirl

Satisfied with the report, Jok'lek arrives at the tavern with Jade upon his shoulder and they order food for the rest sans Emilia, already being in the room. He notes the items Skipsy has bought, regarding the hat with some interest - "A magic hat containing critters..? Hah, that'll be a laugh." - and when Jade urges everyone up to the room, Jok'lek interjects "Actually, before that, I got a question or two for those guys over there first - seems like they're the ones that killed the ettin. Which means, if I recall the map right, they either went in our entry point ahead of us on a different route, or busted through the main gate. Want to make sure they didn't go loud enough to bring the war here early."

With that, he excuses himself and gets up from the table with anyone else willing, walking over to the celebrating party hoping to strike casual conversation. "You are the ones who killed the ettin in Brightmore, you say? That's quite the feat, ettin are no pushovers in combat."

13. - Top - End - #283
    Ogre in the Playground

After finishing her meal, Skipsy excuses herself and makes her way to the woman in the corner. "Excuse me, miss?" Skipsy peaks over the table, "I'm sorry to intrude, but I remember seeing you here when I was last in here. If you don't mind me asking, what brings you here?"

14. - Top - End - #284
    Titan in the Playground

The assembled adventurers quieten down when Jok'lek - an unusual figure to see in Duskwood to say the least - makes his approach. There's a set of shared glances as they silently decide on a response, but ultimately settle on continuing their boast rather than ejecting the warrior from the circle. "That's right." The silver haired human says. "Any other group might've struggled, but we ran circles around it!" The others murmur their support and cheer. "Tam and me," she juts her chin affectionately at the tauren, "we split up and each went for a head. Didn't know what it was doing, couldn't make up its mind, and the rest of us swept in to take it down. Fought one ettin you fought 'em all!" Another cheer. "But we've got more than ettins on our plate - once we've finished selling off its treasure hoard we'll be heading back to Brightmore for more claim. Gonna be hitting one of the towers next and-" Her eyes narrow as she suddenly sobers up. "You ain't planning on stepping in our way, are you?"

The young manic woman practically leaps out of her skin, having somehow missed Skipsy's approach. She very nearly dunks her tankard (accidentally) over the short gnome, but manages to save it at the last second. "Oh! I didn't...didn't see you. I'm just waiting for my friends, I don't want any trouble. They should've been here by now, but I'm sure they're just taking the long way round." She gives a nervous titter, to fill the quiet, more than anything else.
    DMing:
    Iron Crisis IC | OOC
    Cyre Red IC | OOC

Playing:
    OotA IC | OOC

15. - Top - End - #285
    Ogre in the Playground

"Oh, uh, hmm," Skipsy casts her mind back a few days, recalling the diseased bodies they came across, "Does...does this mean something to you then?" She pulls the flower pendant out of her bag and holds it high for the woman to see, and tries to jump ahead to explain, "We came across some bodies on our way to the abbey. I recovered this. Hoping-...no, not really hoping. I didn't want to find someone who this meant something to. Cause that meant having this conversation." Skipsy looks away and rubs her nose, "I'm sorry. I wish I didn't have to tell you this."

16. - Top - End - #286
    Titan in the Playground

Jade takes her face out of the pie and sits next to Emilia.
    "The other two are carousing. How was your day? Look at all this cool stuff Skipsy gave me! I got a hat full of rats!" Jade shakes the hat.
    Nothing comes out.
    "Maybe not! Anyway, pretty cool right?"
    Show

17. - Top - End - #287
    Titan in the Playground

Emilia Shadowburn
    Forsaken Shadow Priest

After an hour of "meditation" which honestly was just secret contemplation of her (un-)life choices, the priest expects her friends to arrive. By the clattering of plates and cutlery she is reminded that mortals need to eat, and as she can finally hear her friends downstairs, Emilia does elect to use her disguise once more, especially since she hears other prominent voices and does not want her group to overshare too much info. Just as Jade bursts into the room. I was just about to ... finish here and join you. There seems to be a commotion.

Black vapor envelops the clergywoman as she steps out of the door and down the stairs, catching the tail end of the convo about Ettins. She decides to sit next to the manic woman and at a slight distance to others but does not elect to push Jade away. You seem nervous, child. Emilia says with a motherly tone despite visibly resembling a young 20-something year old. I am priestess and adventurer Emilia. But if you need a patient ear to hear out your troubles I am there for you. She smiles warmly though the undead hopes she does not overdo it. Do not worry about my associate, she is harmful only to the enemy.

18. - Top - End - #288
    Titan in the Playground

The woman looks at the flower pendant and takes a long, deep, shuddering breath to still herself. Tears bead into the corners of her eyes, and the colour drains from her already pallid cheeks. "Ah." She sinks back a bit in her chair. "Dead then. I...I knew that really, but I didn't want to..." A long exhale. "Did...did they have anything else with them? A silver dagger with an amethyst in the pommel, a rod or scepter of adamantite?" There's a tremor of hope in her voice, but it's miniscule, ready to be dashed away by the truth of the matter.
    DMing:
    Iron Crisis IC | OOC
    Cyre Red IC | OOC

Playing:
    OotA IC | OOC

19. - Top - End - #289
    Titan in the Playground

Jade smiles to the woman going through mourning and actually stays respectful.
    "I think this is yours." She passes her the healing potion. "I didn't find much on them, didn't want to dishonor the dead. Neither of the things you said."
    "If you're looking for a group, you could join our party."
    Show

20. - Top - End - #290

MonkGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Amnestic View Post
    "That's right." The silver haired human says. "Any other group might've struggled, but we ran circles around it!" The others murmur their support and cheer. "Tam and me," she juts her chin affectionately at the tauren, "we split up and each went for a head. Didn't know what it was doing, couldn't make up its mind, and the rest of us swept in to take it down. Fought one ettin you fought 'em all!" Another cheer. "But we've got more than ettins on our plate - once we've finished selling off its treasure hoard we'll be heading back to Brightmore for more claim. Gonna be hitting one of the towers next and-" Her eyes narrow as she suddenly sobers up. "You ain't planning on stepping in our way, are you?"
    "Ha! Guess I'll keep that in mind next time I'm up against an ettin!" Jok'lek replies first, buying him a bit of time to think over his response, quickly adding "But no, we shouldn't pose a problem for ya. We decided on helpin' with the gnoll problem there, ya see - that ettin coulda been a bit of an issue. Speaking of which, how'd they react to the big thing going down? Even if the ettin was simple, I doubt ya left them unscathed." While the tower could be an issue, through offering some truth and his original question, he hoped to make himself appear unconcerned about that detail.

21. - Top - End - #291
    Titan in the Playground

"Hah, gnolls." The darkskinned dwarf scoffs. "Barely worth our time. We cut through their 'guards' to get to the ettin. Them and their ogres. Tried to raise the alarm but my axe sorted that out." He pats the battleaxe at his side. "There's no profit to be had in killing those laughing beastmen, so you can have at it, but they were in our way, so we killed them." The heated edge of his deep voice cuts his meaning very clearly.

Across with Jade and co., the woman looks at the potion before sliding it back across the table to you. "I'm no fighter, I think it would help you more than me. But...if you see the dagger or the rod, I would pay you for them. They were...are family heirlooms that I would like to have back."
    DMing:
    Iron Crisis IC | OOC
    Cyre Red IC | OOC

Playing:
    OotA IC | OOC

22. - Top - End - #292
    Ogre in the Playground

Skipsy meekly hands over the flower pendant, "I'm sorry. I'm so sorry. We-...we'll see what we can do about the rest of their belongings." She takes a seat at the table, taking a moment to write down the information in her notebook, sniffling but managing to hold back tears. Gently closing her notes, she returns the book to her bag and looks up at the woman again, smiling weakly, "Do you...wanna tell me about them? I've got time."

23. - Top - End - #293
    Titan in the Playground

Jade decides not to crowd the woman.
    "Come on, let's get back to the room. Don't really want to divvy up the gold in front of them." Jade points right at the other adventurers talking to Jok'lek.
    "Skipsy, is it okay if I fill you in after we've decided our next move? I promise to represent your interests, and have this rat save your seat." Jade pulls a rat out of her hat. It immediately wriggles free of her and runs away.
    "Aw."
    Show

24. - Top - End - #294
    Ogre in the Playground

Skipsy nods, "I trust you guys."

25. - Top - End - #295
    Titan in the Playground

Emilia Shadowburn
    Forsaken Shadow Priest

In her calm human form, Emilia shakes her head. We can see what we can find, but more than those trinkets, you need closure. An expensive dagger or scepter like that is either from nobility or rich folk. But I will not press you who you are. She turns to Jade. I do agree, Jade. These adventurers are good at what they do. They surely don't want us to bother them.

Emilia rises and walks over to the brutish dwarf. Confusing an ettin is easy enough, if you use the right tools. Magic breaks through dimly lit minds just as easily as a sharp dagger breaks through a wizard's robe. Always stay creative and work together. Without waiting for a response she leaves for upstairs once more.

26. - Top - End - #296
    Titan in the Playground

The dwarf makes a distinct motion with his hand to show Emilia what he thinks of her as she leaves. "Was she with you?" He points a stubby finger at Jok'lek. "Should keep her on a leash. Liable to get herself into trouble."

The young woman nurses her ale before downing the tankard in one large gulp. "That's...very kind of you, but I think I'd like to be alone for a while. Thank you though. I hope you have better luck than...than my friends did."
    DMing:
    Iron Crisis IC | OOC
    Cyre Red IC | OOC

Playing:
    OotA IC | OOC

27. - Top - End - #297
    Titan in the Playground

Jade guffaws at the dwarf.
    "Kinky!" And she follows Emilia upstairs.
    She sits on her bed and picks her meat pie back up.
    "So… we kill them in their sleep, right?" she suggests, and takes a bite.
    "The back to the abbey. Althea says if we form an alliance with Barry we get a thousand gold coins. Oh! Speaking of!" Jade gets the coins out of the sack from the Commander and distributed 150 to each member of the team, laying the small piles on their individual beds.
    "Anyone else find jobs? People buying monster parts? Someone who left their keys in the Abbey and wants them back?"
    Show

28. - Top - End - #298

MonkGirl

Jok'lek leans slightly on the table with his hand casually, a sigh of relief as the dwarf mentions no alarms were set off. "Good, good, was afraid they'd be expecting us, would make our job harder. I'll let ya get back to celebrating, good luck with your treasure hunting." he replies, distinctly unbothered by the threat, and about to walk away when he says further,

Quote Originally Posted by Amnestic View Post
    The dwarf makes a distinct motion with his hand to show Emilia what he thinks of her as she leaves. "Was she with you?" He points a stubby finger at Jok'lek. "Should keep her on a leash. Liable to get herself into trouble."
    The small section of the table in his grip splinters, and he immediately pulls back surprised - "Whoops, apologies, don't know me own strength sometimes. Hir'eek guide you." He waves with the other hand and turns to head back upstairs - the table was accidental, the anger was very real, almost forgetting the splinters in his still clutched fist.

Quote Originally Posted by Xihirli View Post
    "So… we kill them in their sleep, right?" she suggests, and takes a bite.
    "Very tempting proposition." he mutters while struggling to pick the splinters out of his hand with the other.

29. - Top - End - #299
    Ogre in the Playground

"Alright, but one more thing," Skipsy tears a page out of her notebook, scribbles something down on it, folds it in half and slides it over to the bereaved woman, "Next time you're in Stormwind, see if you can find this person. Last I heard he was working out of the Dwarven District, but he could've moved back to Ironforge. He's a grief counselor, helped a lot of people in the aftermath of the Third War, the Scourge, the Cataclysm and the Pandaria campaign.". The gnome wipes a tear from her eye hops down and starts to walk away, "I'm so sorry. Again."

Catching up with her friends, Skipsy looks more than a little gray in the face and much less enthusiastic, "So what's going on with those guys?" She thumbs back towards the other adventuring party.
    Last edited by Khosan; 2022-11-05 at 10:48 AM.

30. - Top - End - #300
    Titan in the Playground

"Eh, nothing much. We’re just gonna kill them." Jade shrugs.
    "The jobs I am aware we can take: get that lady the objects of her departed friends. Get the elves to agree to an alliance. Find out what that one group’s jobs are and do them first just to spite them. Anything I don’t know about? Any preference on them? Obviously the stuff we can for sure do in Brightmore, where we’re going anyways to try our luck against those angels again, takes precedence. That’s why I vote elves. Everyone cool with talking Barry into becoming friends with Althea?"

Jade slurps up the last of her meat pie.
    "The other item on the agenda is WHEN we go. I don’t think I’ll feel 100% again until I’ve slept two full nights, but I can manage with just one I think. How do you all feel on it?"
    Show