Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Madness at Brightmore Abbey IC

Emilia Shadowburn
    Forsaken Shadow Priest
    AC: 13 HP: 30/32
    PP: 18 PIv: 9 PIs: 18
    Conditions: -
    Concentration: -

Before departing upstairs finally, Emilia answers Jade. A night of rest and a day of reorientation was exactly why we returned to town. We should sleep well and learn what we can about the defenders of the chapel before we return.

2. - Top - End - #302
    Barbarian in the Playground

MonkGirl

"We're not gonna kill 'em, not unless they get in the way. They did say they were after one of the towers next, which could be a pain later, but in dealing with the ettin they've lightened our load enough for me to give them a temporary pass despite their... attitude." Jok'lek responds to Jade, uncertain whether she's joking but wanting to nip that bud regardless.

"Any more than a day feels excessive to me - not that we couldn't use it, but that we don't know if or when the gnolls might strike. Even if that other group's truthful and they avoided alarm, they'll soon notice their ettin's dead. Better to do our thing before that point." Finishing with the splinters, he thinks on the proposal to join up with the elf encampment again for support. "The only reason I hesitate is because of that one secret we got about potential betrayal. But.. they seem like good enough people, so I'm willing to try if you guys are. And it's not just us, but this town could use the additional support against the gnolls."

3. - Top - End - #303
    Titan in the Playground

"No, see, the elves aren't going to betray us because you expect it. You only get betrayed when you least expect it. So you just gotta always expect it. Then you'll never get betrayed. Then you never expect it. And you get betrayed. It's a pretty good system, I think we can trust the elves."
    "So is that the only job we have on the table? Meet up with the elves, then retry the angel tower with no increase in numbers or power and hope that works? Because I like that plan."
    Spoiler: Check Out my Writing!
    Show

https://www.patreon.com/everskendra

I post short stories in the middle of every month, and if you want to follow my novels as they’re edited and written, you can join as a patron!

4. - Top - End - #304
    Titan in the Playground

Emilia Shadowburn
    Forsaken Shadow Priest

Assuming a private discussion upstairs in the room:
    The elves might not plan on betrayal, but even I hesitated fighting protectors of the light, misguided or otherwise. Ser Oakley provided us with payment AND aid, so it is safe to assume his help is genuine. If the elves see him helping us, they will see our cause is just, or they will turn at the sight, which means they were never thinking about the best interest. In any case, they are dangerous. We should probably see to defend ourselves from their ambushes. I would expect arcane magic, secrecy and blades.

I might prepare counter magic, revealing divinations, but the blades and secrecy part is better suited for you all.

5. - Top - End - #305
    Ogre in the Playground

Skipsy, upon their return to their room, changes out of her armor, "I think the best we could do-nyeh!" she heaves a glove off that had been catching on some other part of her plate, "is some kind of caper. A shenanigan! Some real low-class tomfoolery!" Skipsy cackles, untying the straps holding her pauldrons in place, "I was a mischievous youth once, but I still got some tricks up my sleeves."

Down to her work clothes, the thoughts of some classic hijinks still on her mind, she begins the lengthy process of redressing hers and everyone else's wounds with a smile on her face. Starting with the bite on her left arm, she'd only started unwrapping her last set of bandages when she pipes up, "We'll need at least a day, for sure. Jok'lek, you'll probably be good by tomorrow morning - troll regeneration really is something! But I think the rest of us will probably need another night to be safe." She pulls a rag and a bottle out of her bag, the latter of which is emblazoned with red frowny faces and the words DO NOT DRINK in the unfriendliest letters possible. Dousing the rag in the fluid contained within the bottle, she cleans the bite marks with a grimace, but somehow maintains her cheery tone, "But! We don't have to decide right now, we can make that decision tomorrow. In the mean time, the shopkeep gave me a couple leads! There's a local seer, Madam Eva, who might be able to tell us something! He also said there was a paladin type looking to hire some adventurers? He sounds nice! Maybe we try to talk to him too. Oh! And I still gotta stop by the smithy for those weapons Jade asked for."

6. - Top - End - #306
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Spore View Post
    Ser Oakley provided us with payment AND aid, so it is safe to assume his help is genuine.
    "I don't know if I want to involve the elves in angel-killing," Jade confesses. "But tell me more about Acorn-Man."

Jade happily takes off her bloody clothes to let Skipsy clean her wounds.
    "You know what, I think I need some new clothes as well. These ones are all soaked in my b... well, maybe half is my blood?"

At the mention of her weapons, Jade gets excited to share something she noticed at Brightmore.
    "So could you guys tell that the big tree we fought barely noticed getting shot, and it took cutty-weapons to kill it? That got me thinking.... I pretty much just own cutty weapons. But other things we fight, like... birds, for instance, I should have a whacky weapon to crunch their bones with! And to fight... uh... other things, I should have a stabby weapon! Sometimes at a distance! Pretty smart, right?"
    Show

I post short stories in the middle of every month, and if you want to follow my novels as they’re edited and written, you can join as a patron!

7. - Top - End - #307
    Titan in the Playground

Emilia Shadowburn
    Forsaken Shadow Priest

Getting the right tools is something you do beforehand, Jade. But injure it and its wounds will help me pull it into the void no matter how resilient they are to punches.

Emilia diverts Skipsy's efforts to wound-dressing. The gnome of course knew Emilia needs to be mended rather than healed, but maybe that changed when she doused herself in the holy arts once more. There had been tales of forsaken regaining even some senses and regrow some flesh from it. A seer's words are intriguing, but it can be manipulative and deceiving. We should heed her words with care. And not only because many are secretly in league with the Old Gods.

8. - Top - End - #308
    Titan in the Playground

In the 'morning' (judged not by light but rather by activity and the large clocktower), a member of the Watch briefly delivers Althea's letter of introduction, though notes that the Commander stressed to "only go when you're ready".

Descending into the tavern proper shows no signs of the 'rival' adventuring party, who are either still sleeping off their frivolities or have already left to return to Brightmore. The tavern is mercifully quieter for their absence.

Skipsy finds the blacksmith about as expected for a single blacksmith serving the entire town - endlessly busy, but otherwise unremarkable with their wares which are built solid and practical, with little flourish or flare.

It's in the Chapel, sat in quiet contemplation, that you find Sir Oakley. He still wears the armour, even in this 'secure' setting, apparently ever ready to take up arms. He nods to you with a warm, if somewhat reserved, smile. "That you have returned is encouraging. Have you made a decision regarding my quest?"
    DMing:
    Iron Crisis IC | OOC
    Cyre Red IC | OOC

Playing:
    OotA IC | OOC

Master Homebrew Index (5e)

9. - Top - End - #309
    Titan in the Playground

"Yes, we want to help you clear the church! How do you feel about us taking something we find there, by the way? As a random question that occurs to me for... no particular reason." Jade keeps ahold of the letter, since she negotiated the contract with Althea.
    "Also, Oakley. Is that a Knight's name? Sounds more like a forest wanderer than a noble."
    Show

10. - Top - End - #310
    Ogre in the Playground

Skipsy's trip to the smith is a quick one, made early in the morning to get a head start on the day. She stops in to pick up Jade's weapons, taking a moment to eye a particularly fancy-looking rifle longingly, but shies away after seeing the attached price tag.

A quick jog later,, Skipsy arrives just after the others. The little gnome pushes the door open with her shoulder and waves excitedly to her friends, her left arm in a sling in an effort to aid its recovery, "Mornin' guys! Jade, I got your weapons!" She pats her bag, but drops her voice to a whisper noting the somber mood in the building, "We can handle that later."

"Good morning, Mr. Oakley! I'm Skipsy, Skipsy Turncrank, archaeologist in good standing with the Explorers' League!" She stands at attention and salutes, "We'd be delighted to help you clear out the church, but I do have some questions! We've even been there already, but...it was more than we expected." Skipsy rolls up the sling to show a burn on her wrist from the guardians' chains, "How much do you know about the church and what's inside it?"

11. - Top - End - #311
    Titan in the Playground

"The Light has revealed to me some truths of the matter - regrettably I have no direct experience with the Abbey; it fell long before I was Called." Somehow, you can hear that 'called' is capitalised. "The abbey held a number of sacred vessels that will aid in its purification. If we are lucky they will in the church itself. Once we have the vessels, I will need to conduct a ritual of purification in order to fully cleanse the temple. Our first task must be to secure the chapel though, and of that I fear you know more than I."

He seems somewhat uncomfortable with the prospect of the holy place being looted, but perhaps the long time of waiting for viable hireling wins over his trepidation. "I would ask that you not desecrate the place further, but...certainly any items kept there would be better returned to circulation among the people than lost to ruin." He says, by way of compromise.

"I come from a small village to the north, earning my knighthood through effort and dedication. Please be assured I know my way around the battlefield, even if age is catching up to me. You need not slow yourselves on my account." He says, to explain his noble-ness - or lack thereof, as the case may be.
    DMing:
    Iron Crisis IC | OOC
    Cyre Red IC | OOC

Playing:
    OotA IC | OOC

12. - Top - End - #312
    Titan in the Playground

"Skipsy!" Jade hugs the gnome.
    "How much do I owe you? Other than the hundred I gave you already?"
    Jade then registers the things the Knight said.
    "Hey, that's pretty cool, guy! I'm really good at killing things, too! Just since I got here, I've killed giant spiders, some of which could teleport, warp stalkers, a crazy tree, all sorts of things! And I don't plan to loot the place, promise! There might be like, one thing in there that we're after, which is why we went in there before, but I'm cool leaving everything else there if you all are!" Jade smiles to everyone else.
    "So, Acorn-Man, what's the BIGGEST thing you've ever killed?"
    Show

13. - Top - End - #313
    Titan in the Playground

A grim frown creases Oakley's age-wrinkled face. "I fought in the three great wars, I have a tale to match every scar on my body, and more besides. I could talk for days of those I have fought against and those we lost." He hesitates, his eyes glazing over as he stares into the middle distance, memories coming back to him. "During the Second War I was stationed upon a Kul Tirasian vessel, just one of many. Faith tells me that the Light was responsible for my safety, but when the Horde's dragons swept down upon is, we lost countless believers as righteous as I. Luck, not faith, kept me safe when the fires washed over the decks and tore the ships asunder." His hand moves to his forearm, gently squeezing it, and the unseen damage beneath. "I saw dragonfire boil men's flesh, strip them to the bone, and scorch skeletons to ash. I heard people screaming as they burned, leaping from the decks to the safety of an endless cold ocean, the laughter of the dragonriders as we burned. Decades of life and light snuffed out in an instant. Men and women I had known, with dreams, ambitions, hopes. Friends. Families."

"I did not do so alone, but with others at my side we did bring down and slay a red dragon. It was only later I discovered they had been enslaved into doing the Horde's bidding. There was no glory or celebration in the kill, only the mourning of what we had lost to do so. That is the largest 'creature' I have...defeated." Bitter regret and quiet buried anger seep into his tone.

His gaze tears away from his memories to look at Jade, and then the rest of the party, and then casts his eyes downwards with fatigue. "Old hatreds are hard to let go of, and when you reach my age they pile up, but times have changed, and I have a higher Calling than the grudges of the past."
    DMing:
    Iron Crisis IC | OOC
    Cyre Red IC | OOC

Playing:
    OotA IC | OOC

14. - Top - End - #314
    Barbarian in the Playground

MonkGirl

Seeing this man fully armored in the Chapel wasn't entirely surprising to him - He's seen some paladins throughout Orgrimmar, especially visiting Blood Elves from Silvermoon, that seemingly refused casual wear no matter the length of stay - but what was is his justification for allowing the group to take what is found while clearing the church.

His retelling of the events during the Second War were certainly harrowing, enough that he hoped it tempered Jade talking about killing things around the older man. The Second War, while older than the troll and before his peoples' joining the Horde, was well within the living memory of orc veterans around Orgrimmar. Of the few who talked about it, some talked about the glory of conquering Khaz Modan and cornering the dwarves and gnomes, others the desperation after failing to siege Quel'thalas and losing Lordaeron's Capital City, and a good number regret - the only Dragonmaw he'd met had become depressed upon later realizing how he was not only harming children, but intelligent beings in his dealings with dragons, thinking of them as mere beasts no matter the contrary evidence. He saw a similar regret in Oakley's retelling of slaying the red dragon - opposing sides and situations, certainly, but both now haunted by the reality of what they had done thinking it the best option.

"Apologies for bringing up such troubling memories. We would be mighty grateful for your aid with the church, Sir Oakley." Jok'lek gives him a short bow in respect.
    Last edited by Kushina43; 2022-11-28 at 03:14 PM.

15. - Top - End - #315
    Titan in the Playground

Jade opens her mouth.
    Closes it.
    Opens it again.
    Closes it, hums.
    "If it’s all the same to everybody I think I’ll shut up now. Ready to go when you all are."
    Show

16. - Top - End - #316
    Titan in the Playground

Oakley seems almost surprised at himself as he blinks away the thoughts. Though age has taken away any hint of shyness in him, he nevertheless looks apologetic. "No, I spoke out of turn. I should not be sharing such things so readily. The Light teaches us to act honestly in our dealings but...there is a time and a place." He gives a slight inclined bow as concession, hand clasped against his chest.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show

Left my notes at home, I'll do a further post later today to shift along, assuming no one has any sudden objections.
    DMing:
    Iron Crisis IC | OOC
    Cyre Red IC | OOC

Playing:
    OotA IC | OOC

17. - Top - End - #317
    Titan in the Playground

With your initial introductions concluded and the agreement reached, Ser Oakley agrees to wait a further day for you to have fully recovered, and you are able to enjoy a further day and night in as much comfort as Darkshire offers. It's a rustic, hardy sort of comfort, but it's pleasant enough.

Show

If you haven't already updated it - long rest completed.

On the next morning, Ser Oakley accompanies you to the edge of town, whereupon he summons up a magical steed upon which to ride, adorned in thick plate armour much as he is. Such summonings are not unheard of for paladins of the Light, though they're not exactly common either, and mark him as either being exceptional among the Silver Hand, or at least very lucky. With some amount of goodnaturedness - perhaps to sooth the awkwardness he caused earlier - he notes "I'm not sure my feet could cover the journey at my age, but Saviour here will carry me just fine."

The next two days of travel are spent much in the same way as your first expedition: conserving your energies, evading wandering worgen, undead, and beasts, and proceeding back towards Brightmore Abbey. Not long into the third day of travel you crest a small hill and are once more given a slight oversight of the sparsely fire-lit village that curves around the mountain.

"In case you are unaware, there is a path up the far side of the hill that takes us from the base all the way up to the apex." Oakley offers. "Though I will follow your lead."

Show

Mostly a last minute check if you want to hit up Berrian+elves first, with Oakley in tow, or head straight for the chapel.
    DMing:
    Iron Crisis IC | OOC
    Cyre Red IC | OOC

Playing:
    OotA IC | OOC

18. - Top - End - #318
    Titan in the Playground

"I think we should talk to the elves first. Ib case uh… in case we die before our next chance," Jade suggests, somewhat dourely.
    Show

19. - Top - End - #319
    Titan in the Playground

Emilia Shadowburn
    Forsaken Discipline Priest
    AC: 13 HP: 20/32
    Lightwell: 6/6 Channels: 2/2 Spells: 1st: 4/4 2nd: 3/3 3rd 3/3

Emilia listened to the old bear of a knight drone on and on about holiness. Something she had sworn to find again, but her approach was one of focus and sheer will, not of aimless prayer and trust. So before we venture off properly, you are sure you accept two Horde warriors, a Forsaken priest and a scientist amongst your paid mercenaries? No harm will come to my friends. The word seemt wrong in Emilia's mouth, but it was exactly what she meant. She had chosen to keep her true form revealed now, both for practicality and sincerity.

We are also on good terms with a group of blood elven farstriders. You will not harm them either unless they attack us. They might have followed a traitor prince, but not all fallen high elves followed him, and even though they are also allied with the Horde, you have no quarrel with them. Stating her opinion as fact, Emilia does not recognize any answer but sheer protest.

Two days later:
    We went a more direct route through an area with slightly confused dryads. They let you pass if you allow them to share in a personal secret. There are enough answers which satisfy them while not being an open invitation for betrayal.

20. - Top - End - #320
    Ogre in the Playground

Just before leaving Darkshire, Skipsy takes a moment to speak to Emilia, "Emilia! I got something for you!" Skipsy digs into her bag and pulls out a little project she'd been tinkering with throughout the day: an iron ring, wrapped in copper wire with a small, red button on one side, "Here. It's a magical accumulator. It eats up little bits of magical energy - stuff you naturally radiate, dissipation from regular spellcasting, ambient energy, the kind of stuff that just is but isn't doing anything - and when you hit that button there, it discharges everything it's accumulated. Into you. Safely! I should stress that, it is perfectly safe." It's very clear that Skipsy is excited to explain even more details, but takes her leave to not impose on Emilia's privacy.

On the road, Skipsy spends much of her time hovering around Ser Oakley, asking probing questions like "Are you summoning Savior from somewhere or conjuring him directly via the Light? Does the Light make literal demands for action or is it more a metaphorical, religious kind of thing?" accompanied by enthusiastic (but very long), academic explanations of her original interpretations of what the answer might be. It's...a conversation, but definitely not everyone's favorite.

Skipsy pats Jade on the back, trying to cheer her up after a very depressing , "That's no kind of attitude to have! But you have a point! I think we should take Oakley to see the elves, not because we're doomed, but because I think they might let him drink from the fountain and he might find that interesting!"

21. - Top - End - #321
    Titan in the Playground

Emilia Shadowburn

The priestess was unsure what to make of the gnomish contraption. She knew goblin items were prone to explode or cost money, while gnomish inventions were more insidious but more often than not more advanced, but with insidious drawbacks. If Skipsy insisted it was safe it probably was. Most of her items just happened to have cosmetic or aesthetic drawbacks. Neither of which Emilia cared much about now that she was undead. Thank you. What are the limits of it? I better not have to wind up a crank.

22. - Top - End - #322
    Ogre in the Playground

"It's almost entirely passive! You don't have to wind it or anything, but if the copper coil starts to unwind, let me know and I'll fix it.
    It shouldn't, but the first lesson I learned in the field was to never take your equipment for granted! Anything and everything can break."
    Skipsy backpedals, "Again, perfectly safe. The only thing you need to do is hit that button about once a day and it'll supply you with a little boost of magical energy."

23. - Top - End - #323
    Titan in the Playground

"Bah, you gnomes and your perfectly safe engineering. Give me something that has a one-in-ten chance of exploding every time you use it, I say! If you want consistency, you use a weapon!" Jade holds up her flail.
    "I'm gonna mostly use the flail for awhile I think, get used to it," she says to the team. "Oh! Jok'lek! Mister Oak! Do either of you want some javelins? I got ten thinking I'd keep three strapped in at all times, three in my bag of bagging, and share the other four! Want some?"
    Show

24. - Top - End - #324
    Titan in the Playground

Emilia Shadowburn

You could swear the dead flesh on Emilia's forehead crumpled in doubt now. You said how many times now this is safe? Thrice? Not a good look, Skipsy, but I trust your maintenance. Just warn me before it goes south.

She turns to Jade. Last time a dark apothecary made something that exploded it killed hundreds, forsaken and living alike.* So be careful what you wish for. I am quite fond of my flesh not being melted from my bones.

* referencing the Wrathgate incident

25. - Top - End - #325
    Titan in the Playground

"Just as when some people linger after death, so too may spirits of animals. In life, Saviour was a dedicated warsteed; by the Light's grace they continue to serve. Faith empowers them, and there is no trace of necromancy in its calling. Beyond that, I know as much as you do. I am a warrior, not a scholar."

He politely declines the offer of javelins from Jade. "I am best served in the thick of things, and holding such things may tempt me to draw back. 'Carry only what you need, lest distractions lead you astray'. Strictly, it's advice for leading an ascetic life free of the burdens of reckless consumption, but I've found it applies quite well for battle as well."

You head back into the breach, climbing up the steep hill and picking through the brush to reach the elf camp. At one point, Oakely is forced to dismount Saviour and proceed on foot with the rest of you. He lags a little - youth trumps age in this case, and his hefty armour doesn't help any. Even knowing the direction you want to head to the elves, it takes longer than last time.

The Font of Tyr hasn't changed much in your week's absence. Some of the faces are a little more weary, some are absent and some are new as patrols and scouting parties rotate in and out, there's a few fortifications made with insufficient tools for anything aside from lean-to's, but ultimately it's still just a scouting camp that's ready to be picked up and moved at a moment's notice. Berrian is absent, with Analastra there to welcome you instead.

"Hey! Good to see you again and..." She hesitates when she sees Oakley behind you - though he hardly paints the picture of a threat at the moment. Sweat beads his scalp and his short cut hair glistens with it, his breathing comes in long gasps. Though Analastra doesn't draw a weapon, she is noticeably less relaxed. "Berrian's out on patrol at the moment. Who's this?" She looks to you, not Oakley, to conduct introductions, and perhaps sensing the tension through his physical exertion, the paladin keeps his mouth figuratively shut - it's still literally open as he gets his breath back.

Show

Not me picking the same text colour for Analastra and Oakley like a fool - oh well, it is what it is.
    DMing:
    Iron Crisis IC | OOC
    Cyre Red IC | OOC

Playing:
    OotA IC | OOC

26. - Top - End - #326
    Titan in the Playground

Emilia Shadowburn

You allowed me in your presence, an undead priest serving unknown powers, and you get nervous with a Paladin of the Silver Hand? Emilia straight up laughs at her blood elven allies. This is Ser Oakley, he has come to purify the Abbey with our assistance. Something he would tell you once he has gathered enough air in his lungs to do so. Emilia's voice sounds calm, it had its advantages not needing any air to begin with. Though a good listener could hear a tinge of sarcasm towards the old paladin, something so subtle Emilia was not even aware of it. We wanted you to meet him, and maybe if you allow it, he could gain insight from the Font.

27. - Top - End - #327
    Titan in the Playground

"He’s fun!" Jade adds. "Oh!" she takes out Commander Ebonlocke’s letter and waves it in a dramatic reveal.
    "I know you elves like to be all aloof and independent and mysterious with your longbows and your apricots, but we picked up from context that Barry wants to clear out the monsters here. The commander of the… Militia? Over at… town…ville…" Jade glances at her friends for help with the name.
    "Was wondering if you’d like an alliance to purge these hills. Could be fun!"
    Show

28. - Top - End - #328
    Titan in the Playground

"We've got our reasons to be...wary of humans." She glances at Oakley. "Nothing personal." Thankfully he doesn't seem to take it personally, and remains stoically silent. "Berrian let you guys drink from the font because you helped me. Sorry, but we can't trust a stranger with it - even if you vouch for them. Ditto for the letter." Analastra nods at Jade's procured scroll. "He'd have to make the decision, not me. You can leave it here and I'll bring it up with him when he gets back though." She lowers her voice slightly, leaning in conspiratorially. "It might be better to let him stew on it for a little anyway - the offer might make him sour at first but he'll probably warm up to it after a bit."
    DMing:
    Iron Crisis IC | OOC
    Cyre Red IC | OOC

Playing:
    OotA IC | OOC

29. - Top - End - #329
    Ogre in the Playground

"Darkshire," Skipsy helpfully offers when Jade can't remember. Her eyes widen when Analastra brings up their collective distaste for humans, realization dawning, "Oh right! Sorry, I should've remembered." Skipsy sheepishly smiles back at Ser Oakley and mouths a "Sorry" to him.

"While we're here, I have a couple more questions, if you don't mind!" Skipsy flips open her journal once more and clears her throat, "Did you see another party of adventurers around? Human woman, Gnomish man in Kirin Tor colors, a High Elf who I didn't get a good look at, Tauren woman and a Dark Iron Dwarven man. They're jerks, so keep your eyes peeled! Also, did you see another group of three travelers out here before then, say...a week or so before we arrived? All human, not adventurers! Just a family."

"And for what it's worth," Skipsy puts her journal away, "I don't know what your plans are here but whatever they are, you'll have an easier time with the Gnolls gone and a good relationship with the local militia. You help them, they'll help you!"

30. - Top - End - #330
    Titan in the Playground

"I'll leave it with you," Jade says. "We'll come back here after we cleanse the church to receive your answer."
    She smiles at Analastra. "Stay alive, alright? I'd feel bummed if you died."
    Show