New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 34567891011121314 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #361
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Madness at Brightmore Abbey IC

"I believe I can keep the worst of the darkness suppressed, prevent the corrupted spirits from arising once more, but it will require my presence to do so." Oakley has removed a bundle of scented candles from his pack along with some chalk. He places the candles upon the ground, around where the gleaming spirits fell. "But actually dispelling...I think the Light's vision means it will require the sacred vessels I spoke of before. If I am to be occupied here, then it would fall to you to recover them in the meantime."

While Oakley busies himself with his rituals, you have the opportunity to look around the area. Much of the chapel has fallen into ruin and disrepair from being abandoned save for the angelic spirits guarding it. There are a number of side rooms that may have been used for ritual preparations, sleeping, or other mundane activities of the caretakers but whatever they were once for isn't clear - the interiors are too far gone by the years and the elements.

An investigation of the altar in the main room reveals a small nook that, after some jimmying away of dust, opens to reveal another card of the Deck of Many Things - the Rogue card, if its depiction of a black-clad figure is any indication. There's also a curious rune tablet, that investigation reveals to be magical, and a coinbag containing a total of 223 gold pieces.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show

You can make a DC23 arcana check to reveal the rogue card's secrets - they will be easier to reveal once it's magic activates though.

Rune of Lifestealing
    You can spend a short rest combining this tablet with any non-magical weapon to turn it into a Lifestealing weapon:
    When you Attack a creature with this Magic Weapon and roll a 20 on the Attack roll, that target takes an extra 3d6 necrotic damage, provided that the target isn’t a Construct or an Undead. You gain temporary Hit Points equal to the extra damage dealt.

The rune's use is permanent and cannot be transferred or used again once used once.

DMing:
    Iron Crisis IC | OOC
    Cyre Red IC | OOC

Playing:
    OotA IC | OOC

Master Homebrew Index (5e)

2. - Top - End - #362
    Ogre in the Playground

"Come oooon, honey..." Skipsy very gently jimmies her screwdriver into the nook, careful to not cause too much damage. Sufficiently jimmied, the panel pops off and Skips jumps to catch it before it breaks, "Ah! No you don't! Ha HA!" The gnome excitedly holds up the little stone square, "I told you I could get it open! It just took some elbow grease is all." She spots the card a second after the others, "Ooooh! That's probably a bigger deal! And a rune? Nifty!"

Skipsy pulls her goggles down, dialing in the dials as she takes a very close look.

Spoiler: Actions
    Show
    Skipsy casts Guidance on herself for the Arcana check:

Arcana - (1d20+8)[24] plus Guidance - (1d4)[2]

3. - Top - End - #363
    Titan in the Playground

Jade takes the card and shakes her head at the other things.
    "We came here for the card, right? Don't you think the rest of this stuff... belongs here?" She looks to the rune, but honestly isn't interested.
    "We'll find better stuff, I'll bet."
    Spoiler: Check Out my Writing!
    Show

https://www.patreon.com/everskendra

I post short stories in the middle of every month, and if you want to follow my novels as they’re edited and written, you can join as a patron!

4. - Top - End - #364
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler: Rogue's Secret Revealed
    Show

Rogue
    When you are stood at the card's location you can use your action to cast Dominate Monster with a DC of 13. This has a duration of "until the end of your next turn". After using this effect, you deal an additional 1d6 damage on all attacks that have advantage until the end of the encounter. A creature can use the Rogue card once per encounter.

Card repository in OOC thread also updated.
    Last edited by Amnestic; 2023-01-07 at 06:47 AM.
    DMing:
    Iron Crisis IC | OOC
    Cyre Red IC | OOC

Playing:
    OotA IC | OOC

5. - Top - End - #365
    Barbarian in the Playground

MonkGirl

After the combat, Jok'lek sits against a wall panting yet again. He didn't get all that banged up this time compared to last- if anything, he feels stronger than before, seemingly left over from a surge he felt during the fight. He tosses a handaxe in the air idly and it goes much higher than he anticipated, though he still catches it by the handle. Surprised how light it feels, he puts a hand on his maul - he doesn't draw it, but he feels lightness and understands the blessing he's received. Ironic, he thinks, that I would earn Hir'eek's favor in a chapel dedicated to Light. He was definitely grateful, though, knowing he could use this to keep everyone safer.

Watching Jade pose with various weapons by Skipsy, he laughs with the half-hearted pose of the war pick. Skipsy offers her input and he follows "Agreed on the axe looking best, but don't knock war picks, just need a better lookin' one." Following this, while Oakley performs his rituals to keep the place from corrupting again, Skipsy opens the altar to reveal some gold and two items - one of which is a card they seek. "Another card, as expected.. Whatever this rune be, it pales in comparison, and I wouldn't feel right taking the gold of another's holy place. With the card, we should be good to go ahead after we've recovered some."

6. - Top - End - #366
    Ogre in the Playground

Skipsy holds up the runic tablet, "Y'know what this reminds me of? One of those Death Knight runes! Ooh, I don't remember my runic scripts very well, let's see...is it 'weakening?' No, the stroke is going the other way, so not negating, it's...taking? Taking what...Oh! Life-stealing! Right! I wonder what one of these is doing here..." She strokes her chin thoughtfully, "I wonder if this might be a relic of the Second War, when Teron Gorefiend and his own brand of Death Knights terrorized this area. Maybe one was in the area, took refuge here, and got slapped silly by the guardians. We're not that far from Karazhan, so it's possible!"

Responding to Jade's suggestion of giving all but the card to Oakley, Skipsy turns the rune over in her hand again, "He earned the gold, for sure, but I dunno if this really belongs here. We can ask him about it, but if I'm right about the origin, he might just want it gone. If I'm wrong, then I have a lot of questions about what this is doing hidden in a church!"

"Also, since I'm sure you're wondering," Skipsy holds up the Rogue card, careful only to hold it by the edges and not touch the face, "This tricky little guy does two things! One, we can use him to briefly control an enemy. Two, after using the first effect, he empowers your strikes when you've got the upper hand. Slippery little fella should be pretty handy."
    Last edited by Khosan; 2023-01-13 at 04:18 PM.

7. - Top - End - #367
    Titan in the Playground

Jade gathers up all the money on a torn-up tapestry and pulls it up to Oakley.
    "We found this stuff in the church... I think it belongs to you. We also found a death knight rune that KILLS PEOPLE!" Jade shouts.
    "Know anything about it? Should it be here?"
    Show

I post short stories in the middle of every month, and if you want to follow my novels as they’re edited and written, you can join as a patron!

8. - Top - End - #368
    Titan in the Playground

"The abbey had already long fallen by the time of Gul'dan's death knights." Oakley ponders. "Perhaps it predates them, or perhaps it was brought here by someone who sought the secrets of the monastery and secreted away for safe keeping and they never returned? I couldn't say. I have no interest in such magics though - the Light is my strength. Perhaps someone in Darkshire would take it off your hands, if you have no need of it."

You choose your next destination as the Hall of Glory - the link to the 'back route' of the abbey, one which might serve as an escape route as well as an entry, should you have need of it. It's partially collapsed when you arrive to inspect it, with rubble and other debris choking the inside. Faded frescoes decorate one wall, and there are a number of shattered statues that may have born the visage of great heroes once upon a time, but are now faded beyond all recognition. A mass of webs cloaks what remains of the roof, and even without the elves prewarning it seems clear that spiders are about.

This knowledge if of little help, however. Though you cast your gaze about here and there, searching the shivering shadows cast by torchlight, the arachnids seem elusive from the entranceway, and so you proceed inside, eye cast up, down, and all around. The darkness seems to tighten up, before you suddenly realise that it's not just shadow that's moving, but black spiders. Masses of them pour out of the accumulated rubble, and a massive creature lurks from behind one of the statues in your path.

Spoiler: Map
    Show

The Rogue card, newly acquired, is the one that has taken to the field this time. Because the medium size creatures are Swarms, Dominate Monster doesn't affect them - it can affect the big spider though

Skipsy's up.

Initiative order:-
    Skipsy: (1d20)[19]

Swarms: (1d20)[12]

Jok'lek: (1d20+5)[7]

Big Spider: (1d20)[7]

Jade: (1d20)[6]
    Emilia: (1d20)[2]
    DMing:
    Iron Crisis IC | OOC
    Cyre Red IC | OOC

Playing:
    OotA IC | OOC

9. - Top - End - #369
    Titan in the Playground

Jade lifts her ax. "YAAAAAAAAH!" She spots the legs of a giant spider and runs directly toward the largest thing to kill. Darting around the statue she jumps with her ax and brings it down at the spider's face.

Spoiler: ATTACK!
    Show

Jad will use her 40 feet to run around the statue and get in the big Spood's face. FRENZIED RAGE in case more spiders arrive, and WAIL ON THE SPIDER

Battleaxe RAGE! RECKLESS! POWER ATTACK!
    (1d20+4)[12]/(1d20+4)[15]; (1d8+15)[16]
    (1d20+4)[12]/(1d20+4)[13]; (1d8+15)[20]
    Show

10. - Top - End - #370
    Ogre in the Playground

"Look at these statues!" Skipsy gasps, running from the feet of one to a mural opposite it, "And these paintings! Forgotten heroes! Ancient tributes to long lost deeds! Oh, I gotta make some sketches once we deal with this infestation. The League is gonna love this!"

Unlike last time, this time Skipsy was expecting spiders, "Ox! Spiders, thataway!" She points to the swarming mass behind them and Ox, despite dying not that long ago, shoots off to engage with them with an enthusiastic BUH-GAWK! Skipsy nods approvingly, walking forward and reaching up to touch the Rogue's emblem, her other hand crossing her fingers and hoping the magic takes hold.

Show
    Stats
    HP
    AC
    Skipsy
    26 / 49 19
    Ox
    41 / 41 15

Actions:
    Movement: Skipsy moves into the Rogue card's square
    Action: Skipsy attempts to Dominate the big spider, Wis Save - (1d20)[3] vs DC 13
    Bonus Action: Skipsy orders Ox to attack the spider swarm to the right.
    Attack - (1d20+7)[11] for Force - (1d8+3)[6]

11. - Top - End - #371
    Titan in the Playground

Jade's weapon cleaves into the spider, though when she attempts a second strike it bounces off its exoskeleton, glancing at an awkward angle that sends the weapon skittering against the floor. By rousing the magic of the Deck, Skipsy successfully wrangles the arachnid into her bidding - albeit briefly. Its gaze falls on its fellow spiders at the gnome's command, even as the swarms begin to approach, coalescing around Skipsy and Ox, the former of which is assailed by seemingly endless tiny bites that all fail to penetrate Ox's tough shell.

Show

Jade hits once, misses with the follow up.
    Skipsy dominates the spider, which will attack one of the swarms on its next turn.

One swarm moves into Ox's square, misses.
    One swarm dash moves into Skipsy's square.
    Another swarm appears from out of line of sight to the north.

Jok'lek's up.

Jade: actually up here

DMing:
    Iron Crisis IC | OOC
    Cyre Red IC | OOC

Playing:
    OotA IC | OOC

12. - Top - End - #372
    Titan in the Playground

Emilia Shadowburn
    Forsaken Discipline Priest
    AC: 13 HP: 33/37 HD 5/7 d6
    Lightwell: 2/7 Channels: 1/2 Spells: 1st: 3/4 2nd: 2/3 3rd: 2/3 4th: 1/1
    Conditions: -
    Concentration: -

Before the short break, Emilia invokes a harsh and cold light enveloping Skipsy. During the break, she checks if all her bones are were they should be, but her survival is a thing of willpower rather than physical harm though her undead form was charred by the holy lights.

Delving further into the chapel, Emilia is rather distracted by the great reliefs and other artwork of her beliefs.

Spoiler
    Show
    Penance: healing Skipsy for (1d10+12)[21] up to half her HP
    Emilia uses HD to heal: (5d6)[4][2][2][4][2](14)(+1 each roll) until 3x hp.

Last edited by Spore; 2023-01-21 at 06:53 PM.

13. - Top - End - #373

MonkGirl

Jok'lek regards the statues and murals with a faint interest - history of other people wasn't his strong suit, his readings on it were few, but it was fascinating being in such a place even in its dilapidated state.

The moment spiders begin swarming, he immediately gets on the defensive and raises his maul and greataxe, each one of the big weapons now wielded in a single hand with the same practiced ease he held his handaxes prior. He initially lunges for the giant spider, but Jade gets an attack first followed by Skipsy.. controlling it? The new card's power swirls around the arachnid and it looks aggressively at the small spider swarms at Skipsy's word, so he assumes it's an ally for the moment. But with one of the swarms attempting to bite Skipsy, who seems to have a plan in mind but still looks vulnerable, and the others failing against the more durable Ox, Jok'lek tries to defend the former by swinging his weapons at the little spiders hoping to clear most of them from around her. His maul smashes a handful of spiders, but their size and how they skitter about make it surprisingly difficult to deal with their sheer numbers.

Show
    Gonna make 2 Maul attacks and a greataxe offhand attack against the swarm on Skipsy's space. Think only 1 maul hit for 10 bludgeoning damage, though swarms usually resist the martial damage types

Jok'lek
    Fury Warrior
    HP: 47/55, HD 6/7d10
    AC: 17
    Speed: 35
    Condition: -
    Warrior Rage: Inactive (3/4)
    Rage Points: 0 (max 6)
    Other Resources: Second Wind (1/1), Rampage (3/3), Action Surge (1/1)
    Last edited by Kushina43; 2023-01-22 at 04:49 PM.

14. - Top - End - #374
    Titan in the Playground

Tiny spiders, even large tiny spiders, are difficult to hit with a massive maul - especially when you're also trying to not squish the gnome that they are swarming around. Jok'lek's swings go wide, but in service of luring them into a sweet spot. His hammer crashes down on a collection of them, perhaps removing a quarter in total.

Skipsy's domination seems somewhat limited, and spider mandibles are a poor weapon against even tinier spider swarms. Though the mind controlled creature does follow its orders, its clumsy movements means it does little more than rub its face on the ground. From the dark to the north yet another spider emerges, slinking between rocks at it gets closer.

Show

One hit, for 10 - but as you said reduced down by resistances to 5 total.
    One more big spider dashes into view, but takes cover.
    Dominated spider attempts to bite a swarm but rolls a nat 1. :(

Everyone but Jok'lek is up.

DMing:
    Iron Crisis IC | OOC
    Cyre Red IC | OOC

Playing:
    OotA IC | OOC

15. - Top - End - #375
    Ogre in the Playground

Skipsy pumps her fist, excited to see the Rogue card in action. So excited, in fact, that she only notices the creeping mass of spiders once they're already starting to scurry up her legs, "Ha-HA! Oh bits!" Skipsy stumbles back a few feet, clumsily grabbing at her army knife and readying her pistol, "I knew it was a good idea to power this one up!" She pulls a neon yellow-green tube out of the omni-tool and plugs it into the back end of her firearm. With a grin, she shouts, "Hazmat warning! Watch your feet!" and pulls the trigger, unleashing a stream of toxic green goo all over the aggravated arachnids.

Show
    Stats
    HP
    AC
    Skipsy
    39 / 49 19
    Ox
    41 / 41 15
    (Don't mind the changing health, I'm assuming Emilia gave Skipsy the Penance before the short rest, so just accounting for that)

Actions:
    Movement: Skipsy moves 5' back out of the swarm's area.
    Action: Skipsy casts Tasha's Caustic Brew as a 1st level spell, targeting the two spider swarms and the big spider. Each must make a DC15 Dex check to not be covered in acid (requiring an action to remove) and take Acid Damage - (2d4)[6] this turn:
    Close Swarm - (1d20)[19]
    Far Swarm - (1d20)[5]
    Big Spider - (1d20)[8]
    Bonus Action: Skipsy directs Ox to continue attacking
    Attack - (1d20+7)[21] for Force - (1d8+3)[6]
    Last edited by Khosan; 2023-01-24 at 09:16 PM.

16. - Top - End - #376
    Titan in the Playground

Jade stumbles back as her ax bounces off the chitin... then the big spider runs away.
    "Hey! Come back! We're fighting!" Jade runs after the big spider and swings at it with her ax yet again. "I've killed a teleporting spider! How should YOU beat me?"

Spoiler: Rollz
    Show

(1d20+4)[6]/(1d20+4)[7]; (1d8+15)[16]
    (1d20+4)[16]/(1d20+4)[19]; (1d8+15)[18]
    (1d20+4)[11]/(1d20+4)[18]; (1d8+15)[18]
    Show

17. - Top - End - #377
    Titan in the Playground

Emilia Shadowburn
    Forsaken Discipline Priest
    AC: 13 HP: 33/37 HD 5/7 d6
    Lightwell: 2/7 Channels: 1/2 Spells: 1st: 3/4 2nd: 2/3 3rd: 2/3 4th: 1/1
    Conditions: -
    Concentration: -

Pull back! You'll struggle doing anything to these! Emilia shoots out searing orbs of shadow towards the swarm..

Spoiler
    Show
    Take 18 necrotic damage, or (1d20)[11] DC 17Con save for half.

Last edited by Spore; 2023-01-28 at 08:39 PM.

18. - Top - End - #378
    Titan in the Playground

The swarm lashes out at Skipsy as she retreats, their mandibles sinking into her ankles as she shakes them off. They disperse as she does so, dodging away from the acidic surge that washes over them, though the distant spiders are less lucky. Jade rushes up to finish the job, and with powerful blows cleaves through the biggest spider that she can see, severing its legs in a shower of ichor. Emilia's burst of shadow helps to finish off the closest swarm, causing their tiny bodies to shrivel to dust in a matter of moments.

Ox blasts their foe with energy, but the swarm around their feet continues to bounce off the chicken's external plating.

Show

Closest swarm dodges the acid, but the big spider and far swarm are covered by it.
    Jade cleaves through the big spider, and Emilia finishes off the closest swarm - though not before the OA procs and hits Skipsy for 11 piercing damage.
    The swarm closest to Jade also hits for 10 piercing damage.
    Ox hits their swarm, and they fail to hit in return.

Jok'lek is up.

DMing:
    Iron Crisis IC | OOC
    Cyre Red IC | OOC

Playing:
    OotA IC | OOC

19. - Top - End - #379

MonkGirl

With acid and Shadow alike, Skipsy and Emilia work together and manage to destroy the closest swarm while damaging the further ones and the giant spider that Jade finishes off. With a quick glance at the remaining swarms, Jok'lek identifies Jade as being the most susceptible to further harm and runs up to her, smacking the swarm with his maul and axe yet again to clear them off her.

Show
    Moving right next to Jade and making 2 maul and 1 axe attack on the swarm, dealing up to 16 bludgeoning and 7 slashing on hit

Jok'lek
    Fury Warrior
    HP: 47/55, HD 6/7d10
    AC: 17
    Speed: 35
    Condition: -
    Warrior Rage: Inactive (3/4)
    Rage Points: 0 (max 6)
    Other Resources: Second Wind (1/1), Rampage (3/3), Action Surge (1/1)
    Last edited by Kushina43; 2023-02-02 at 08:58 PM.

20. - Top - End - #380
    Titan in the Playground

Weaving their weapons around the goblin to strike only the spiders is a difficult task, but the troll warrior manages it, squishing spider after spider. A greatsword and maul aren't ideal weapons against a swarm of tiny spiders though, and despite smushing a great number of them there are enough still left crawling all around to pose a problem.

The large spider emerges from behind a corner and rears up on its hind legs, towering up over the troll, but when it comes down the nimble fighter dodges away from its strike.

Show

Jok'lek hits with all their attacks but the swarm stays alive due to resistances.
    Big spider missed.

Everyone but Jok'lek is up.

DMing:
    Iron Crisis IC | OOC
    Cyre Red IC | OOC

Playing:
    OotA IC | OOC

21. - Top - End - #381
    Titan in the Playground

Jade eagerly goes for the newly close big spider, ignoring the swarm in front of her. "Jok'lek! After this, I eat the other big spider, you eat this one, and we compare how much we ate! Whoever has the most wins!"

She lifts her ax and brings it down thrice at the spider's head.

Spoiler: DIE!
    Show

(1d20+4)[11]/(1d20+4)[10]; (1d8+15)[20]
    (1d20+4)[9]/(1d20+4)[20]; (1d8+15)[20]
    (1d20+4)[20]/(1d20+4)[22]; (1d8+15)[16]
    Show

22. - Top - End - #382
    Ogre in the Playground

Skipsy squeaks at the spider bites, "Ah! The little guys! They got me!" She nods approvingly at their demise, "Thanks, Emilia!" Skipsy yanks the green tubing out of her pistol, which rapidly retracts back into her army knife while she skitters over to get a better shot on the big spiders. She clicks off two rounds at the big one still fighting, while Ox continues to deal with his swarm in his own time.

Show
    Stats
    HP
    AC
    Skipsy
    28 / 49 19
    Ox
    41 / 41 15

Actions:
    Skipsy made her concentration check and continues concentrating on the Caustic Brew. The spider swarm takes an additional Acid - (2d4)[5] damage
    Movement: Skipsy moves southwest diagonally two squares.
    Action: Skipsy fires two shots at the big spider:
    Attack - (1d20+7)[26] for Piercing - (1d10+4)[14]
    Attack - (1d20+7)[16] for Piercing - (1d10+4)[11]
    Bonus Action: Ox keeps peckin', in his element, thriving.
    Attack - (1d20+7)[27] for Force - (1d8+3)[4] + 8 from the crit.
    Last edited by Khosan; 2023-02-05 at 06:47 PM.

23. - Top - End - #383
    Titan in the Playground

The spider darts away from Jade's first strike but the follow up two cleave off its front legs, leaving it in ample position for a bullet from Skipsy to finish it off. The gnome's second bullet ricochet's off the spider's out chitin to streak through the swarm besetting Jade, dealing with what few remain. Ox's blast of energy takes out most of the spiders at its feet, and Emilia's incanted darkness brings the rest to a close. Over the sounds of your breath you strain to hear any other creatures approaching, but all seems quiet, and if there were any you seem to have scared them away, for they do not assail you when you continue your investigation.

To no great surprise the spiders carry nothing of value, but a poke around their webs reveals three large pearls that - with a bit of elbow polish - should sell for a pretty copper or three.

Show

Specifically, they sell for 100gp each.

Much of the rest of the building is rubble, but a set of stairs leading down beneath the building into what looks like a tunnel. Empty torch sconces and long-dead lanterns line the tunnel's walls, but just how long it is you can't tell without descending below.
    DMing:
    Iron Crisis IC | OOC
    Cyre Red IC | OOC

Playing:
    OotA IC | OOC

24. - Top - End - #384
    Ogre in the Playground

"Ooh! That was a lucky shot!" Skipsy twirls her pistol back into its holster. With a grunt, she takes a seat and starts scratching at the abundant spider bites on her legs. Ox struts over, proudly preening over his flawless victory and putting a big smile across the gnome's face, "Good job, buddy! Proud of you."

"Wonder how far down those stairs go." She rubs her chin in contemplation, inspecting one of the spider pearls, "Actually, more pressing, I wonder what's down there waiting for us! But I have a plan!" Skipsy reaches into her bag of holding and pulls out one of the hunter traps she'd bought a few days prior, "We set these at the top of the stairs, right? Then, if - or probably more likely when - we see something angry? We run back up here, get 'em all caught up in these and some oil, then beat the pants off 'em!"

25. - Top - End - #385
    Titan in the Playground

Jade pants and calms with a second of time.
    "We’re having spider tonight!" She celebrates.
    She peers down the stairway. "Oh, sure Skipsy!" And she sets up both of her hunting traps.
    "And with my javelins, we don’t have to charge in! You’re thinking smart! Skipsy, I think you might just be a genius!"
    Show

26. - Top - End - #386
    Titan in the Playground

Having set up your traps, you find the passageway leads far further than just a short cellar, and curves round to the left, leading you deeper into darkness, The stairs lead far underground to a spacious chamber with a high, vaulted ceiling. A wide hall to the left leads to gigantic pair of double doors plated with brass, and a narrower hallway on the wall opposite the stairs ends in a smaller set of doors. The walls are decorated with carvings of troll warriors and mystics set into arched niches flanked by decorative columns. The carvings are worn and some are broken beyond recognition, showing the signs of great age, vandalism, or perhaps both. The carvings suggest that the knights who founded the abbey took over, or built upon, an existing structure to house their treasures.

Despite being so deep and ancient, the air here feels remarkably...lively. Though still weighed down with the dust of time, there's a sense that these ancient halls are not totally abandoned, though there isn't any immediate sign of occupants in the room you are currently in. Indeed, one might think it is suspiciously empty. Bare, even.
    DMing:
    Iron Crisis IC | OOC
    Cyre Red IC | OOC

Playing:
    OotA IC | OOC

27. - Top - End - #387
    Titan in the Playground

"Hey, Jok'lek! You're a troll! Know anything about the religion and stuff here?" Jade asks, hopping to get a better look at the carved walls.
    She heads down toward the brass doors and puts her ear up to them, listening for a second before knocking to see if anything could be heard on the other side.
    Show

28. - Top - End - #388
    Titan in the Playground

Many of the frescoes are damaged by time, but between Jok'lek's memory and what remains a story stretches out before you. This hill - this place - was once an outpost of the Gurubashi trolls, a temple dedicated to the worship of their loa. The images of the panther Bethekk and the tiger Shirvallah are prominent at first, appearing strong and in major positions of worship, but as the images you continue see them brought low. A story plays out in the images - one familiar to Jok'lek and the Gurubashi at this point, as a cycle that has repeated many times over history. Though the trolls held their loa in high regard, many a time a corrupting influence has arisen within them, that of Hakkar.

The twisted winged serpent's imagery appears behind trolls that throw down the loa, pressing them into service of the Blood God. The history written here is one that seems to have 'ended' with Hakkar's cultists victorious, as the historical images end before showing Hakkar's downfall, though Jok'lek knows for a fact such a thing came about in time. While this place may have once been consecrated to the loa, given the final images shown it seems likely that the corruption of Hakkar was that last lingering influence held in these chambers, and that evil has seeped into them - an evil which the Church of the Holy Light then built atop of, but left in place, whether for historical preservation, or perhaps for some darker reasons.
    DMing:
    Iron Crisis IC | OOC
    Cyre Red IC | OOC

Playing:
    OotA IC | OOC

29. - Top - End - #389

MonkGirl

"Oh, I'm definitely up for some spider kabobs once we're done." He replies to Jade as he stows his weapons. They go down the passageway and he starts noticing familiar shapes in the walls - some of his old readings had drawn visual interpretations of similar frescoes - and goes to investigate just as Jade asks for his opinion of the place.

Nearly a minute of reading the walls to clarify and he nods in understanding. "This be a Gurubashi outpost long ago. Worshiped all their loa but they were brought low by good old Hakkar. That must be the prickly feeling I get down here, the Blood God's lingerin' corruption is all over the place." He brings out his lantern of Hir'eek, feeling what he interprets as his own loa's discomfort, then nods and lights it up regardless of visual necessity - if there's something else to see hiding here, Hir'eek will show them all. "Makes me wonder if the Church was too lazy to check before building atop this place.. Or if they did it for a reason." He then gingerly pushes on the door to check whether it's open or locked, lantern pointed at the crack of the door to be safe.

30. - Top - End - #390
    Titan in the Playground

You push on the door gently at first, but testing a lock you can't see is difficult without some pressure, and inevitably that pressure causes a loud creak as it opens just a crack. It's not locked, from this you can tell, but the crack is enough for sound and light to eke through the gap. You hear chattering and chittering, hustle and bustle of many feet, and the regular clink, clink, clink of metal chipping away at stone. Such sounds assail you, but swiftly stop and fall quiet. There's still the occasional word - in a language you don't know and can't make out - but now it's hushed, whispered and barely reaching you.
    DMing:
    Iron Crisis IC | OOC
    Cyre Red IC | OOC

Playing:
    OotA IC | OOC