Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4567891011121314
  1. - Top - End - #391
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Madness at Brightmore Abbey IC

Jade beamed. "They sound friendly!"
    Spoiler: Check Out my Writing!
    Show

https://www.patreon.com/everskendra

I post short stories in the middle of every month, and if you want to follow my novels as they’re edited and written, you can join as a patron!

2. - Top - End - #392
    Ogre in the Playground

Skipsy looks around in stunned, but not speechless, wonderment, "Wow, who would've thought! I mean, I probably should've - Gurubashi, Zandalari, Amani, Farraki, Drakkari, they've got ruins all over the place! In my defense, my focus has always been more Titan relics and facilities - gnomish history, y'know - and from what I'm told it's exceedingly rare to find ancient troll sites this well preserved that aren't also swarming with either their modern descendants or their own undead ancestors!" She awkwardly takes notes, clumsily juggling her gun, pen, shield, and notebook, "I have studied Hakkar a little bit! Just the old blood plague though. Which is important! Infectious diseases have been shockingly common! But it's not helpful in this context."

Skipsy is still frantically scribbling notes when the others approach the door. She gasps and quickly stows her notebook, suddenly aware of the level of noise that had been present before and was now absent. She makes meaningful, slightly panicked eye contact with her friends and jerks her head back towards the way they came, making a silent suggestion of where their next step should be.

3. - Top - End - #393
    Titan in the Playground

Jade sulks back and steps back. "Okay fine, that seems really main door I bet we can resolve this one quick." She hops over to the smaller door and without checking for any traps, throws it open.
    Show

I post short stories in the middle of every month, and if you want to follow my novels as they’re edited and written, you can join as a patron!

4. - Top - End - #394
    Titan in the Playground

Jade opens the door to a rubble-strewn room. On the opposite wall of this small antechamber is a finely carved relief showing a female troll in the pose of a proud warrior, leaning on a spear and holding a set of scales. Before you is an ogre warrior, an axe at hand, though sat down, leaning over what looks to be a small gaming table. On either side of the carving are passages that lead elsewhere. The ogre stands and flashes his greataxe. "Was getting bored of thinky-game." Another, beyond him, also stands, and you hear a shuffling of a third creature out of sight.

Spoiler: Map
    Show

Jade+Skipsy are up first.
    Initiative Order:
    Jade: (1d20)[19]
    Skipsy:(1d20)[18]

Ogres: (1d20)[16]

Emilia: (1d20)[11]
    Jok'lek: (1d20)[6]

DMing:
    Iron Crisis IC | OOC
    Cyre Red IC | OOC

Playing:
    OotA IC | OOC

Master Homebrew Index (5e)

5. - Top - End - #395
    Titan in the Playground

"Me too!" Jade snatches one of the three javelins at her back and talkes a single step forward to lob it, tossing another one after it before retreating back behind the door.
    "See? I can be smart too!" Jade says before growling and grinning at any blood like a shark in the water.

Spoiler: Actions
    Show
    Throw 2 Javelins!

(1d20+7)[22]; (1d6+4)[6]
    (1d20+7)[20]; (1d6+4)[9]

I'll move a little closer to get into proper javelin range, then back up so that I'm one square to the west of where I started.
    Then RAGE! ROAR!

Last edited by Xihirli; 2023-02-26 at 03:34 PM.
    Show

6. - Top - End - #396
    Ogre in the Playground

"Oh! Sorry to interrupt!" Skipsy, grey in the face, smiles sheepishly at the ogres, "Maybe try Hearthstone? That could be more your speed!" With a nervous laugh, she reaches up, activates the Rogue's sigil, and directs its energy at the nearest ogre, "Seems like he wants to give it a shot!" She winks at Ox, who stands his ground near the open door while she backs up across the hall to gain some distance.

Show
    Stats
    HP
    AC
    Skipsy
    28 / 49 19
    Ox
    41 / 41 15

Actions:
    Movement: Skipsy moves northwest to grab the card
    Action: Skipsy uses the Rogue card, attempting to Dominate the nearest ogre Wis Save - (1d20)[6] vs DC 13. If it fails, she directs it to attack the nearest ogre.
    Movement: Skipsy uses the rest of her movement to move as far west as she can to keep her eyes on the door.

7. - Top - End - #397
    Titan in the Playground

Jade's javelins fly true at the unarmoured brute, sticking into flesh. It's injured, but bats the weapons out of its wounds with an angry swipe. This is made worse when Skipsy's card magic ensorcel's its mind. It turns south, away from the party. "It not me! Magic!" the ogre shouts with despair as he cuts his former chess-companion with his axe. Perhaps the bonds of trust formed over many a chess game are enough to convince him, but his companion does not retaliate, instead moving away and circling the room, rushing to strike at Jade with his own axe.

The third ogre instead retreats to the north door, opening it and calling through in what is clearly a demand for help.

Emilia follows behind Skipsy, casting a quick blessing upon the party as she does so.

Show

Jade hits twice on the ogre for 15 total with her javelins.
    Dominate Monster lands from Skipsy.

DominatedOgre recklessly attacks his friend for 16 damage.
    The injured ogre moves around and Dashes into melee with Jade, but no follow up.
    The uninjured ogre moves to the north door, opening it and calling for help.

Emilia Blesses Jok'lek, Jade, and Skipsy.

Skipsy and Emilia are further off the map but I ran out of map so that's why their tokens are halved. They're actually ~20-25ft west of the map edge.

Everyone's up.
    Initiative Order:

DMing:
    Iron Crisis IC | OOC
    Cyre Red IC | OOC

Playing:
    OotA IC | OOC

8. - Top - End - #398
    Titan in the Playground

"Yo-ho-hogre, it's an ogre!" Jade jumps into the fray, slashing with her ax as hard as she can, trying to cut her way THROUGH her enemy as blood coats her.

Spoiler
    Show

Battleaxe RAGE! RECKLESS! POWER ATTACK!
    (1d20+4)[10]/(1d20+4)[5]; (1d8+15)[16]
    (1d20+4)[7]/(1d20+4)[7]; (1d8+15)[20]
    Show

9. - Top - End - #399
    Ogre in the Playground

Skipsy reaches back and grabs one of the nets she'd readied in case they needed to be ready to set their own trap. Rushing forward to give herself better odds of catching herself a big one, she shouts, "Gnomish net attack! GO!" and hurls the net at the big oaf in the doorway. Ox pecks at the ogre's shin with a cluck.

Show
    Stats
    HP
    AC
    Skipsy
    28 / 49 19
    Ox
    41 / 41 15

Actions:
    Movement: Skipsy moves back up to within 15' of the closest ogre
    Action: Skipsy throws a net at the close ogre, she ignores disadvantage due to long range thanks to Sharpshooter.
    Attack - (1d20+5)[25], on hit the ogre is restrained, until it spends an action to make a DC 10 Str check to get out or deals 5 slashing damage to the net.
    Bonus Action: Ox attacks the nearest ogre, maybe with advantage.
    Attack - (1d20+7)[20] / Advantaged Attack - (1d20+7)[11] for Force - (1d8+3)[8]

10. - Top - End - #400
    Barbarian in the Playground

MonkGirl

As the ogres rise to strike the group, Jok'lek takes out his weapons to do battle. One of the ogres immediately gets impaled by two of Jade's javelins, then begins attacking his kin, clearly the work of a Card. The second runs up to Jade, just barely unable to strike, and Jok'lek uses the opportunity to arrive next to her and try and shove the giant off balance. Unfortunately, the large ogre withstands this attempt with apparent ease. In the brief moment where the ogre laughs off his attempt, Jok'lek shuts his eyes, tapping into his well of anger, and in the same motion swings his maul around into the ogre's side. After his strike, he notices a third ogre calling for help and curses loudly, determined to get through this ogre, literally if need be.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Attack: Shove (unsuccessful)
    Bonus Action: Warrior Rage (4 Rage Points)
    Extra Attack: Maul, 20 to hit for 9 bludgeoning
    +1 RP on hit if Rage can be active before hit

Jok'lek
    Fury Warrior
    HP: 47/55, HD 6/7d10
    AC: 17
    Speed: 35
    Condition: -
    Warrior Rage: Active (2/4)
    Rage Points: 4-5 (max 7)
    Other Resources: Second Wind (1/1), Rampage (3/3), Action Surge (1/1)

11. - Top - End - #401
    Titan in the Playground

Jok'lek moves up to push the ogre back, but the warrior's shove is deflected by waves of blubber on the larger giantblooded creature. It chuckles a bit, though the chuckle is short lived when the troll's maul slams into his leg. Jade swings recklessly, but even with such abandon the ogre is able to deflect the small creature's blows. Skipsy's net holds the creature back for only a moment before its ally (now freed of domination) moves up to assist and cuts it away, but when the massive creature brings their axe down, Jade leaps aside and it crushes only stone. The large swing leaves it open for Ox to blast it with energy, and Emilia to burn away at its mind with necrotic magic.

Show

Jade misses.
    Jok'lek doesn't shove, but hits with the follow up attack.
    Skipsy nets the ogre and then Ox hits.

The ogre's rolls aren't particularly better than Jade's.
    The formerly dominated ogre recklessly destroys the net from his friend (barely), and the formerly-netted ogre then misses Jade.
    The final ogre still seems to be arguing about getting help.

Emilia Tolls the injured ogre for 13. They're bloodied.

Everyone's up.
    Initiative Order:

DMing:
    Iron Crisis IC | OOC
    Cyre Red IC | OOC

Playing:
    OotA IC | OOC

12. - Top - End - #402
    Titan in the Playground

Jade blinks rapidly and smiles at the ogre she's fighting. "Let's both agree that one didn't count and try it again, alright? YAH!" She leaps for the Ogre's face, weapon swinging.

Spoiler: YFAB9F HH
    Show

DOING THE SAME THING UNTIL IT WORKS!
    (1d20+4)[17]/(1d20+4)[22]; (1d8+15)[21]
    (1d20+4)[16]/(1d20+4)[19]; (1d8+15)[17]
    Show

13. - Top - End - #403
    Ogre in the Playground

Skipsy pumps her fist, excited about that perfect net throw, "Yes! Wait, no!" That excitement turns to disappointment as the other ogre runs forward to help his buddy - at least it cost them some time. She unholsters her pistol and, after a moment taken to quickly think over whether gunshots were more likely to attract attention than the already present shouting and sounds of battle, fires off a few shots. Ox continues pecking, keeping the pressure on.

Show
    Stats
    HP
    AC
    Skipsy
    28 / 49 19
    Ox
    41 / 41 15

Actions:
    Action: Skipsy fires twice at the nearest ogre
    Attack - (1d20+7)[25] for Piercing - (1d10+4)[12]
    Attack - (1d20+7)[9] for Piercing - (1d10+4)[8]
    Bonus Action: Ox attacks the ogre
    Attack - (1d20+7)[22] for Force - (1d8+3)[11]

14. - Top - End - #404
    Barbarian in the Playground

MonkGirl

The ogre in front of him gets trapped and quickly freed while Jok'lek is still winding up for his next attack, but that does at least mean it failed to hurt Jade, their weapons swinging and clashing with each other's. The ogre's overhead swing smashes the stone next to Jade in turn, and in that opening Jok'lek makes a Whirlwind attack, slashing and bashing the ogre ahead with his axe and maul multiple times in quick succession.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Three attacks, two axes with action and one maul with BA
    Attack 1: (1d20+6)[17]
    Damage: (1d12+3)[4] slashing
    Attack 2: (1d20+6)[11]
    Damage: (1d12+3)[5] slashing
    Attack 3: (1d20+6)[8]
    Damage: (2d6+3)[14] bludgeoning

Jok'lek
    Fury Warrior
    HP: 47/55, HD 6/7d10
    AC: 17
    Speed: 35
    Condition: -
    Warrior Rage: Active (2/4)
    Rage Points: 6 (max 7)
    Other Resources: Second Wind (1/1), Rampage (3/3), Action Surge (1/1)
    Last edited by Kushina43; 2023-03-13 at 02:49 PM.

15. - Top - End - #405
    Titan in the Playground

Jade's quick strikes cleave the ogre, first across the belly, and then a leaping slash removes its head. Its body slumps down, granting an ample platform for Jok'lek and Ox to climb atop it and launch their assault on the next in line. Combined with a ranged assault from Emilia and Skipsy, the four figures assault the ogre with attacks both large and small, and the lumbering creature struggles to defend itself. Only its naturally thick skin holds some of the strikes at bay. It strikes bay, cleaving its greataxe in a wide swing. Jok'lek leaps back from it, only marginally too late, and the blade cuts across the chest. Not deep, but not exactly shallow either. The rear ogre, successful or not in calling reinforcements, runs up to assist. It grasps hold of the Card's magic and flings it at Jok'lek, but new magic and a hardy mind are a combination that prove to be the ogre's detriment and the party's success - the spell fails to take hold.

Show

Jade hits twice, killing the ogre.
    Ox and Skipsy (once) hit the next closest, along with one of Jok'lek's strikes.
    Emilia tolls for some 13.

Ogre hits Jok'lek for 11.
    Rear ogre uses the card on Jok'lek, but the troll makes the save - no effect.

Everyone's up.
    Initiative Order:

DMing:
    Iron Crisis IC | OOC
    Cyre Red IC | OOC

Playing:
    OotA IC | OOC

16. - Top - End - #406
    Titan in the Playground

Jade cackles, ogre blood all over her, and she takes a running leap at the rear ogre who'd tried to cast magic.
    "Not so easy, is it!?" She shouts as she arcs into range with it, leading with her ax and hoping to let gravity finish this.

Spoiler: Let's kill him!
    Show

(1d20+4)[13]/(1d20+4)[12]; (1d8+15)[16]+1 for a 14
    (1d20+4)[16]/(1d20+4)[19]; (1d8+15)[23]

I'd like to avoid an opportunity attack but I want to hit this ogre more so if I can't, that's cool.
    Last edited by Xihirli; 2023-03-17 at 08:42 AM.
    Show

17. - Top - End - #407
    Ogre in the Playground

"Hey! That's not a toy!" Skipsy levels her aim at the ogre who tried to use the card against Jok'lek, firing two more shots toward the big lug tampering with things beyond his control. Ox, meanwhile, follows Jade to the next closest ogre and drills his beak into its foot.

Show
    Stats
    HP
    AC
    Skipsy
    28 / 49 19
    Ox
    41 / 41 15

Actions:
    Action: Skipsy attacks the furthest ogre, playing it a bit risky because of the Bless
    Attack - (1d20+4)[20] + Bless - (1d4)[4] for Piercing - (1d10+10)[11]
    Attack - (1d20+4)[21] + Bless - (1d4)[4] for Piercing - (1d10+10)[19]
    Bonus Action: Ox continues assisting Jade and Jok'lek in the melee, attacking the nearest ogre
    Attack - (1d20+7)[13] for Force - (1d8+3)[10]