New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #121
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Madness at Brightmore Abbey IC

Before the warp stalkers can bring any more of their clawed strikes to bear, the party collapses them with vengeance. Jade's blows rain down on the injured one, extinguishing the last of its life and halting its assault on Skipsy, meanwhile Jok'lek and Skipsy slice and cut at its sides to keep it in one place, allowing Emilia a chance to crash down her shadowy spell upon the creature, ending its life. Ox's peck finds its mark this time, ending the life of its target, but its attempt to stop the others from harming the elf falls short. The magic shield that had wrapped around Analastra is now gone, its light dimmed and diminished into nothingness as the three attached bloodbugs continue to drain the life out of their dying victim.

Spoiler: Map
    Show

Jade finishes off the south Warpstalker, Jok'lek, Skipsy and Emilia finish off the other. Ox kills one bloodbug.

Also I reread Surrender to Madness and its self-damage isn't dodged by combat ending; make sure you're making the saves post-fight with scaling DCs.

Analastra is a hair's breadth from death.
    DMing:
    Iron Crisis IC | OOC
    Cyre Red IC | OOC

Playing:
    OotA IC | OOC

Master Homebrew Index (5e)

2. - Top - End - #122
    Titan in the Playground

Emilia Shadowburn
    Forsaken Shadow Priest
    AC: 13 HP: 32/32
    PP: 18 PIv: 9 PIs: 18
    Conditions: Surrender to Madness [Turn 2, DC 12]
    Concentration: -

In her shadowy frenzy, Emilia approaches the bugs carefully. Her left hand shines in a holy light as she summons a well made of pure light next to Analastra, while her right is infused with shadow attempting to deal with two bugs.

Spoiler
    Show
    Casting maximized Holy Nova to remove the Blood Bugs (excluding Analastra from the effect), then casting Healing Spirit for her, then for me. 2 heals for thee, 2 heals for me. (4d6)[2][5][2][4](13)

Last edited by Spore; 2022-07-27 at 06:21 AM.

3. - Top - End - #123
    Titan in the Playground

Jade springs at the last bug, shifting her ax in her hand to swing it like a flyswatter instead of like an ax. She swats the bug away and buries her ax in its body twice to make sure.
    "Jok'lek, get her away from the hive!" Jade yells at her troll friend.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Alright I'm gonna reckless three attacks. One of them should hit.

Battleaxe RAGE! RECKLESS!
    (1d20+7)[9]/(1d20+7)[11]; (1d8+9)[16]
    (1d20+7)[14]/(1d20+7)[9]; (1d8+9)[12]
    (1d20+7)[14]/(1d20+7)[26]; (1d8+9)[15]
    Spoiler: Check Out my Writing!
    Show

https://www.patreon.com/everskendra

I post short stories in the middle of every month, and if you want to follow my novels as they’re edited and written, you can join as a patron!

4. - Top - End - #124
    Ogre in the Playground

Skipsy holsters her pistol with a flourish, spinning it across her palm and nearly sliding it back into its place at her side. She glances back at the elf, a look of worry crossing her face, then turns her attention to the source of the problem: the hive. It was never a smart move to use tools in unintended ways, but sometimes (like when your G.L.O.O.P. module is unpowered, a choice she would rectify at the next opportunity) you gotta whack a beehive with a hammer. Or at least get your mechanical battle chicken to do it for you. The gnome points at the hive, shouting, "Ox! Priority target! Draw their attention!" Ox buh-gawks electronically, acknowledging the command and fluttering over to the nest, pecking at it. Skipsy hustles over to the elf, sticking her with a needle loaded with a low grade healing serum, "Sorry, this'll pinch a bit, but I swear I'm here to help!"

Spoiler: Actions
    Show
    Skipsy's HP: 27/42
    Ox's HP: 36/36

Action: Skipsy casts a 1st level Cure Wounds on Analastra for Healing - (1d8+4)[11]
    Bonus Action: Ox attacks the hive with another Force Empowered Peck Attack - (1d20+7)[21], for Force Damage - (1d8+3)[11]

5. - Top - End - #125
    Barbarian in the Playground

MonkGirl

With the warp stalkers dead, everyone starts toward the fallen scout and attacks the bugs, trying to clear them away. Jade swats two and Skipsy commands Ox to attack the hive itself to stop any more. Jok'lek holsters his weapon and reaches for one of his handaxes, only for Jade to yell that he get Analastra away from the hive. With a quick nod, he darts in toward her and grabs her, lifting her of the ground and then trying to back away from the combat.

Show
    Rolling athletics in case its necessary to carry her as explained
    Athletics: (1d20+6)[15]
    Warrior Rage is still active for the moment since I attacked last turn
    I'll probably trigger an AoO for retreating, since I doubt picking her up would be less than an action, but I can take some of those

6 RP, assuming 3 of my attacks hit last turn

6. - Top - End - #126
    Titan in the Playground

Emilia's spell wraps around two of the bugs and dessicates their bodies as the shadow drains the life from them, leaving Jade open to cleave the last one with remarkable precision from the elf's skin. Skipsy and Jok'lek follow up, the former adding some extra light and life to her the elf's features once more, while the troll lugs her up onto his shoulder and carries her away from the hive. Following his master's orders, Ox waddles into the tower, squawking at the bloodbug's hive, but unable to reach it from the ground. Despite the racket, the two that emerge ignore the metallic construct and instead once again seek only food - specifically from the wounded Skipsy. In tandem, they both fly down and attempt to drain her of her delicious lifeblood. One is deflected by the gnome's shield, but the other one manages to latch in with its barbed proboscis and begins draining yet more from her.

Show

Jade and Emilia forcibly remove the three bugs from Analastra, who is healed by Skipsy, and then picked up and carried a short distance by Jok'lek.

Ox attempts to hit the hive, but can't reach because it's above melee range. It menaces the hive, but the bugs ignore the entirely metallic beast in favour of blood, specifically seeking out the injured Skipsy instead. One hits for 4 damage and latches on to her, the other misses.

DMing:
    Iron Crisis IC | OOC
    Cyre Red IC | OOC

Playing:
    OotA IC | OOC

7. - Top - End - #127

MonkGirl

Once Analastra is a little out of the way, Jok'lek gently puts her down in order to rejoin the fray. Looking to the hive, where Ox is unable to reach, he wants to get there before anything else.. Until Skipsy gets attacked, one of the bugs latching onto her. His eyes widen and his rage renews, pulling out his pair of handaxes and running to Skipsy, slashing at the fleeing bug twice, then once to the attached bloodsucker.

Show
    Moving to attack the bugs
    First the one still flying, attack and extra attack
    Attack 1: (1d20+6)[23]
    Damage: (1d6+3)[8] slashing
    Attack 2: (1d20+6)[18]
    Damage: (1d6+3)[6] slashing

Then bonus action to attack the latched one with offhand via TWF
    Attack 3: (1d20+6)[22]
    Damage: (1d6+3)[5] slashing

Now at AC 17 with DW feat, 6 RP

8. - Top - End - #128
    Titan in the Playground

"Why’s everybody hating on Team Fun-Size today?!" Jade steps up to Skipsy and holds up her axe.
    "I’ll swat ‘em if they come close! You magic people hit the hive!"

Spoiler: Action
    Show
    Jade will simply step up to be the nearest one to the hive and Ready an Attack.
    She has also been wounded and is coated in Warp Monster Blood.
    (1d20+7)[22]; (1d8+6)[14]
    Show

I post short stories in the middle of every month, and if you want to follow my novels as they’re edited and written, you can join as a patron!

9. - Top - End - #129
    Titan in the Playground

Emilia Shadowburn
    Forsaken Shadow Priest
    AC: 13 HP: 32/32
    Conditions: Surrender to Madness [Turn 3, DC 13]

Emilia defends her immortal mind from the assaults beyond the veil while her Lightwell heals Analastra. She rummages in her pockets and throws an acid vial at the hive, missing entirely.

Spoiler
    Show
    Madness Save (1d20+3)[19]
    Lightwell (1d6)[1]
    "Reaper" style Toll the Dead for 12 damage each (uninjured) vs Wis DC 17

Last edited by Spore; 2022-07-27 at 09:11 AM.

10. - Top - End - #130
    Ogre in the Playground

"Aack! Bugs!" Skipsy swats at them, deflecting one but once more leaving herself vulnerable to the other. She looks as though she's about to swat them herself until Jok'lek comes and does it for her, "Thanks!" Her attention returns to Ox, uselessly hopping around beneath the hive, "Why did I think that would work.
    Ox, come!"
    Ox flutters back to her side, "Defend. Momma's got another dumb plan." Skipsy switches back to her pistol, quickly checking that the chamber's clean, aims at the hive and takes two quick shots.

Show
    Skipsy's HP: 23/42

Action: Skipsy takes a sharpshooter penalty to hit and fires twice at the hive:
    Attack - (1d20+4)[11] for Piercing Damage - (1d10+10)[14]
    Attack - (1d20+4)[6] for Piercing Damage - (1d10+10)[14]

11. - Top - End - #131

MonkGirl

With the bugs swatted, all that remains is the hive. Jade sets up to kill any wasps attracted to her blood-soaked body, while Skipsy and Emilia shoot it and throw acid - the latter Jok'lek winced at her missing, until it thankfully sailed past where it could harm Jade. He moves a few feet over, the entrance directly in front of him, and uses the last of his rage lingering from the encounter to sprint forward. Once he's inside, he stops himself short and puts the momentum into a spin with which he hurls his handaxe, the weapon inheriting his momentum and closing in on the hive, a miniature whirlwind of steel death.

Show
    Spending 2 RP on Charge and attack with advantage.
    Attack 1: (1d20+6)[25] Adv: (1d20+6)[19]
    Damage: (1d6+3)[4] slashing

12. - Top - End - #132
    Titan in the Playground

Jok'lek dispatches the two remaining insects in your face, and Jade braces for the next that emerges, taking it down in a single strike. Perhaps it's Skipsy's loss of blood that causes her strikes to veer away from the hive, and Emilia's inexperience with tossing not-terribly-aerodynamic acid vials that makes it shatter and sizzle against stone instead of the bug's home, but neither of them find their mark. It's Jok'lek's throwing axe that strikes true, cleaving the residence in twain...and causing all of its remaining occupants to emerge at once, the buzzing growing far louder as it resonates around the ruined belltower.

Analastra still has not awoken, though her wounds have at least knit shut thanks to the consistent healing, but given her distance from the now-ruined hive, you can be assured that she is safe. The rest of you...not so much.

Show

Jok'lek killed the two in your face.
    Jade killed the one that emerged.
    Skipsy and Emilia both missed the hive.

Jok'lek then took a turn out of order (naughty) but thankfully it kinda works out. The hive splits open and is destroyed, and out of it emerge eight more bugs.

Everyone except Jok'lek gets a turn before the bugs get another round.
    DMing:
    Iron Crisis IC | OOC
    Cyre Red IC | OOC

Playing:
    OotA IC | OOC

13. - Top - End - #133
    Titan in the Playground

Jade lifts her ax. "YAAAAAAAAAARHGGGG!" She announces, and dove into the crowd of bugs, swinging her ax around to use the wide blade as a swatter.

Spoiler: KILL!
    Show

Alright, you know how it go.

Battleaxe RAGE! RECKLESS!
    (1d20+7)[9]/(1d20+7)[26]; (1d8+9)[13]
    (1d20+7)[15]/(1d20+7)[11]; (1d8+9)[15]
    (1d20+7)[12]/(1d20+7)[9]; (1d8+9)[16]
    Last edited by Xihirli; 2022-07-27 at 11:36 PM.
    Show

14. - Top - End - #134
    Ogre in the Playground

Skipsy shakes her arm, trying to get feeling back in it. She takes a breath, squeezes one eye shut, fires two more shots at the bugs and shouts to her chicken, "Get 'em, Ox!"

Show
    Skipsy's HP: 23/42

Action: Skipsy attacks the surviving bugs:
    Attack - (1d20+7)[15] for Piercing Damage - (1d10+4)[8]
    Attack - (1d20+7)[15] for Piercing Damage - (1d10+4)[9]
    Bonus Action: Skipsy directs Ox to attack the bugs too
    Attack - (1d20+7)[14] for Force Damage - (1d8+3)[7]

15. - Top - End - #135
    Titan in the Playground

As the party begins whittling down the emerging bugs that swarm about you, Emilia conjures forth a mass of shadows which spews into the tower and slams into it at a high point. The void energies tumble down from above, engulfing the insects but stopping short of hitting Jade or Jok'lek. Once the darkness recedes, all the bugs drop dead, their forms shrivelled and dessicated as if all the moisture had been drained from their already thin and ephemeral forms.

Analastra's breathing is light but steady and stable. An inspection of the wound shows that the blood has stopped flowing and the skin has knitted back together nicely, though it seems to twitch and twist as you observe it, occasionally rumbling as if something lurks beneath the surface.

Spoiler: Medicine DC14
    Show

The injury she sustained bears similarities to magical poisons or curses, clinging to her despite the superficial damage being cured. She doesn't appear to be worsening, but neither is she improving; presumably if noting is done she would eventually die from dehydration or starvation.

This can be likely cured with a Dispel Magic, Remove Curse, or a Lesser Restoration spell. If cast from a 2nd level spellslot, a successful spellcasting ability check (DC14) is required to successfully purge the magic. No ability check is required if cast from a 3rd level or higher spell slot.
    DMing:
    Iron Crisis IC | OOC
    Cyre Red IC | OOC

Playing:
    OotA IC | OOC

16. - Top - End - #136
    Titan in the Playground

"Looks like she needs some rest!" Jade says sagely, and turns to the two warpstalker corpses.
    "Meanwhile, I have some meat to get... and I'll also take their hides!" Jade draws her shortswords and begins skinning the warpstalkers and making meat strips to salt.

Show
    Survival? (1d20+4)[19]
    Show

17. - Top - End - #137
    Ogre in the Playground

Skipsy sighs, shoving her pistol back in its holster and collapsing backwards into a sitting position as she catches her breath, "Hoo...Anyone else remember Silithus? I remember Silithus. Bugs are the worst." She glances over at the dead warpstalkers, cradling her bloodied shield arm, "And those were just rude." Ox scuttles over and sits next to his master, miraculously unscathed.

Having caught her breath, Skipsy makes her way over to the elf woman, pulling down her goggles and engaging some specific lenses, "Hmm, magical poison? No, curse? Maybe.
    Well, in either case, she's not in danger. It's a tough one, so I can't guarantee this'll work, but if it doesn't she'll be fine until we can get her somewhere safe."
    The gnome pulls out her army knife and, with a little less gusto than when she fixed Jade's fingers the day before, jabs one of its prongs into Analastra's neck *BZZZT* and whispers a little prayer, "Come on, work for me, baby."

Show
    Skipsy casts Lesser Restoration with her last 2nd level spell slot to cure Analastra. Intelligence - (1d20+4)[13]

18. - Top - End - #138
    Titan in the Playground

The shocking magic surges into the unconscious elf, running up and down her body and those observing the warping skin around the now-healed wounds on the back see it steadily slow, calm, and normalise until it's smooth and 'pure' once more. With the magic now purged, the elf's eyes flicker open, revealing irises of emerald surrounded by the pools of green light gently emanating from them that is typical of Thalassians from Silvermoon. She groans as she sits up, rubbing at her back and the damaged armour that had been cleaven through. "Oooh, that one really hurt." She mutters to herself, before she finally takes in the image of you all stood around her, and the corpses of the two warpstalkers. Her features flicker between hope and trepidation as she asks you all, "Did...did you save me? Who are you people?" She's not in any particular state to fight back - even ignoring her near death experience whatever weapons she had carried previously (and she had, given the knife sheath and empty quiver on her belt) have been lost; probably when she was running.
    DMing:
    Iron Crisis IC | OOC
    Cyre Red IC | OOC

Playing:
    OotA IC | OOC

19. - Top - End - #139
    Titan in the Playground

Jade, still carving up Warp Stalker for dinner, turns her bloody grin toward the elf.
    "Oh, you're up! Hoy hoy! That gnome who healed you is Skipsy! She's fun! And might be a medic! The zombie over there is Emilia, she prays so hard that things explode. The troll is Jok'lek, he's really big! And I'm Jade. I'm just happy to be here! You must be Barry's sister. He sent us out to look for you, and now you're found! So once we return you to your people and pack up this warp stalker we'll be good to go!"
    Jade glances at Jok'lek apologetically. "I know we planned a gnoll feast, but since the elves are willing to share their maps without us even fighting a gnoll I figure warp stalker will do. Hey, elf! Ya like white meat or dark meat?"
    Show

20. - Top - End - #140

MonkGirl

Jok'lek immediately regretted his rash tossing of the axe when the swarm began descending, only for relief to wash over him as Emilia's shadows engulf and desiccate them all almost immediately. His rage abates and he waves to Emilia, both in gratitude and apology, and climbs up to get his handaxe before making his way over to the rest. Analastra's condition is worse than he realized, but Skipsy's gadget thankfully gets her cured and sitting upright. Realizing his retrieved axe is still in hand, he puts it away and bolsters Jade's reassurance.

"Ah, yes, I be Jok'lek of the Darkspear, along with my mentioned companions. We ran across Berrian Velfarren who asked us to find you while we were out here. Your brother, yes? You are safe with us - well, safe as one can be guarded in Duskwood - and he wanted us to say Hope is a Phoenix and send you back his way."

With that said, he turns to Jade and nods in understanding. "Eh, warp stalker's probably better than gnoll, I'd wager. And if you're makin' cuts for us all anyway, I prefer dark meat myself."

21. - Top - End - #141
    Titan in the Playground

Relief washes over her face when she hear's Berrian's name, along with a little bit of sisterly worry. She even flinches a little. "He's going to be so mad at me. Analastra Velfarren, it's nice to meet you all." She sighs, but the way she carries herself says that she's still very eager to be going back. "I wouldn't want to...to ask anything more, after all you did save my life, but could you guard me back to my brother? I dropped all my weapons when I was running and...I'll be honest, I'm not really sure where I am now. It was a pretty hectic flight. Great story, but only if I actually get to tell it."
    DMing:
    Iron Crisis IC | OOC
    Cyre Red IC | OOC

Playing:
    OotA IC | OOC

22. - Top - End - #142
    Titan in the Playground

"Yes, we'd be happy to! But there's no way we'll be finding an elf camp in the night, and we've worn ourselves out. So as soon as we eat, we should set up for the night. We'll look for Barry at first light."
    Jade gathers wood for a fire and sticks the cuts of meat she's planning to use on her longsword, holding them over the fire like marshmallows.
    "Oh, and I have a few extra weapons. What do you prefer? You can borrow my shortswords or bow or longsword until we find your brother, if you like!"
    Show

23. - Top - End - #143
    Ogre in the Playground

Skipsy falls backwards, taking a deep breath. She raises a hand when Jade introduces her, offering up a tired but relieved, "Skipsy, Skipsy Turncrank. Member in good standing with the - hoo boy - Explorer's League." Almost absent-mindedly, still pulling herself together, she retracts the restorative attachment of her army knife and extends a small trumpet which, upon tapping a button on the side, plays the recording of Berrian's irritated repetition of 'Hope is a phoenix.'

"I could do dinner. Just gimme a second, I'll get that going once I get my arm wrapped up," She struggles up to a sitting position, loosening the mechanical armor on her left arm. Reaching into her bag, she pulls out a few strips of cloth, some are used to wipe her arm clean, most are used simply as bandages and the last especially long one as a makeshift sling. The entire time she's doing this, she keeps talking, "I dunno if we need to sleep here though. I mean, yes, I'm nearly dry on magic and I'm scratched to the Nether and back, but Ox is perfectly fine! And ol' shooty here is plenty effective!" Her wounds treated well enough for non-magical field medicine, she pulls a strange box from her bag that, upon the press of another strange button, clunkily expands into a miniature grill, "Alright, bring 'em over. Let's see what we can do."

Spoiler: Cook's Utensils
    Show
    With her Cook's Utensils, Skipsy attempts to make dinner, Survival - (1d20+8)[11] with Guidance - (1d4)[2] because Skipsy is hoping to make a good impression.

24. - Top - End - #144
    Titan in the Playground

Emilia Shadowburn
    Forsaken Shadow Priest
    AC: 13 HP: 29/32
    Conditions: -

As the quaint little introduction happens in the foreground, Emilia is battling her inner demons, or rather shadows. Clutching her head, she kneels down, praying to the Light of all entities to shield her. The darkness envelops her, but a glowing orb appears around her. It breaks almost instantly but her undead form is not marred too badly. She even takes a few deep breaths she doesn't need before shakily coming to her feet again.

She does come closer a few steps, then stops and adresses Analastra's concern. I expected this request, and I for one would feel bad sending you out unarmed and disoriented. At least to collect the reward. She pauses and smiles her freakish smile. Your brother seemt exasperated, but concerned. I would not worry too much.

I am Emilia Shadowburn, formerly Emilia of Brill. I hope you can excuse my mangled form, but I did suffer under the Scourge as much as your kin did. If you feel safe enough with us, I would do half the night watches. The living death comes with its advantages though I need to meditate to sort my thoughts as well.
    With these words, rather than partaking in the social gathering of the eatery, Emilia scans the area for a lookout. Eating and socializing reminded her too much of what she had lost.

25. - Top - End - #145
    Titan in the Playground

"I'm eager to get back...but I do think a rest might help. I'd happily take a bow, though hopefully we won't need it again." Analastra agrees with a weary, and a slightly embarassed, smile. Still, despite her ordeal and former injuries she acquits herself well in helping out with moving the bug bodies outside of the tower so you can all take refuge inside of it. She even offers to help out with dinner, though in truth Skipsy's unusual utensils leave her lost. The gnome turns out a relatively successful dinner considering the environment you find yourself making it in - tasty, even if not delicious, and filling.

"I can take a watch too, at least if it's not the first one." Analastra offers. She doesn't shy away from Emilia, nor seem perturbed by the undead form. "I stayed in Tranquillien for a time, I know the Forsaken can be...misunderstood." It's said with a smile, but the smile is tinged with the same cloying pity that many offer. Still, she lets Emilia have her distance, and makes no move to engage first, only to respond.

After sitting for dinner, she launches into a short explanation on her story. "I don't know how much my brother told you about why we're here, and I don't want to say more without his approval, but we're searching for someone, or the trace of someone. With the gnolls occupying much of the lower level and monstrosities around the abbey, we had little choice but to make our base at the Font and send out ranging parties from there. We encountered the warp stalkers a few times, but kept our distance since they seemed to have a taste for gnoll meat." She gives a light shrug of shame. "I was out hunting some gnolls myself when they got the drop on me and had to run."

Show

I'm still on holiday (officially) and won't be back on my home PC while Wednesday for my actual notes, so I'm gonna hold off rolling for encounters during the night (if any) til then. Post as much or as little as you like making small talk, but chances are this'll be my last post until back home.
    DMing:
    Iron Crisis IC | OOC
    Cyre Red IC | OOC

Playing:
    OotA IC | OOC

26. - Top - End - #146
    Titan in the Playground

Jade passes out cuts of meat to go with Skipsy's food. Dark for her and Jok'lek, white for everyone else.
    She starts chowing down.
    "I'll take first watch. Gives me time to salt the rest of these warpstalkers. Why don't you take it with me, Emilia?" Jade offers with a grin. "Two pairs of eyes are better than one, and I feel like we never hang out anymore. It's all 'the light has betrayed me' this and 'I hate fun' that. Come onnnn, it'll be fun!"

Jade takes her shortbow and quiver out of the bag of holding and hands them over to Analastra. "I'd have a longbow, but I can't reach the top of it to string it!" the small goblin explains. "But it'll do in a pinch, right? I know all you elves are into the longbows and the double-bladed scimitars nowadays."
    Show

27. - Top - End - #147

MonkGirl

Jok'lek picks up the neglected Comet Card after the battle, putting it in his bag, then gets back to the group replying "Rest'll do us all good, then we get ya back, no objection here." As he sat down to rest, wiping down his axes of warp stalker blood and bug, he wondered if Ebonlocke might not like the group taking any longer than was specified.. But ultimately, he was more satisfied with doing the good deed in front of him first. Plus, knowing the gnolls infested the lower levels was relevant information. He kept the line about searching for someone in the back of his mind, and instead pressed for the former and the monsters. "While on the topic, you got any idea what a bunch of gnolls might be doin' here in the first place? Warp stalkers are also a little odd for the region, from what I've been told." He puts down his blades as Jade passes him the dark cut of stalker meat, his hunger arriving all at once and taking large bites.

28. - Top - End - #148
    Titan in the Playground

The elf takes hold of the bow and gives it a few test pulls, feeling the weight of the string. Experienced archers note that the draw length is a little bit less than her arm can handle but she still nods, apparently choosing not to mention it and instead graciously accepting the borrowed-gift without complaint. Jok'lek's questions make her purse her lips, not out of unwillingness to speak but rather concern. "The warp stalkers I can explain, at least a bit: it's the magic here. I don't know the full story of what happened but over a century or so ago, something happened here which sent the magic all wild. You've probably seen the glow?" She points further up the hill towards the Abbey. "I think the magic 'pulled' them in but it's had other weird effects too. Chaotic. It's why Berrian doesn't like straying too far from the Font for now - it seems to be a bit of a sanctuary against the wild magic."

"The gnolls...I don't really know. They don't talk much in between the laughter and screaming. I thought they just wanted it as a place to live - squatting in an abandoned village with big walls isn't the worst idea, but since they're gathering mercenaries..." She trails off, then shrugs with a sigh. Your guess is as good as hers.

With a watch order decided on, more or less, you settle in for turns of sleep.

The 'Night'

The first few watches pass without bother, just the silence of the forest punctuated with the whistle of wind through the trees, its dark tones heralding the corruption that stalks the Abbey's grounds. During the final watch, with Analastra and Jok'lek, they both feel - and then hear - a shaking. Heavy footfalls of an individual far heavier than any gnoll or warp stalker, no matter how large. The creaking of trees suddenly uprooting and falling reaches your ears but peering through the gloom reveals nothing at first. It's enough notice to give you time to wake the others, however.

Finally the great being comes into a view - a treant. A living tree powered normally by natural magic but, like so much else in this place...different. Its bark is blackened, its 'face' and claws glimmering with a magic that's azure colour sets your teeth on edge. It stomps following your own trail, and as you hold your breath in silence it seems that it might move past and go on its way, but it was too much to hope for, and it turns with a roar towards the tower, bounding towards you directly on earth-shaking feet. Analastra strikes first from her hiding place, loosing an arrow at the monster. Her inexperience with the goblin-sized shortbow seems to make the arrow a little less powerful than hoped though, and it skitters against the thick bark. The monster's response is swift, as it scoops up a great chunk of rock and dirt with one hand without breaking stride and tosses it overarm at the elf. Some of it was deflected by the tower wall she hid behind, but a scattering of stone still strikes at her promising yet more bruises to come.

Show

I'm back home! Joy of joys.

You gain the benefits of a short rest, spend any HD as needed.

Initiative only had Analastra going first, then the enemy, so everyone's got a turn now. I'll do Analstra's second turn at the start of the next turn.

Analastra missed (despite advantage) and the treant responded by tossing a rock at her for 18 damage.

Comet card is in effect again.
    Comet
    When you are stood in the card's location you can use your bonus action to 'Mark' a target you can see. The next time you hit the marked target with an attack roll, you gain 10 temporary HP. The Comet token then moves underneath the Marked target. You may only Mark one target at a time, and using your bonus action to mark a new target removes the previous mark.
    DMing:
    Iron Crisis IC | OOC
    Cyre Red IC | OOC

Playing:
    OotA IC | OOC

29. - Top - End - #149
    Titan in the Playground

Jade, who luckily doesn't have armor to put on, rolls to her feet upon hearing the fighting and unsheathes her longsword in two hands, not having the time to strap on her shield. She springs forward, lifting the sword over her head and going in to chop into the tree menace.
    "What kind of a tree even are you? I'M greener than you!"

Spoiler: ATTACK!
    Show

Hey, that's Rotten Applebaum from Hearthstone!

With 40 feet I believe I just barely make it into melee.

Let's be safe and Frenzy, though that won't kick in until next round because bonus action.
    Longsword (two-handed) RAGE! RECKLESS! POWER ATTACK!
    (1d20+4)[11]/(1d20+4)[19]; (1d10+15)[22]
    (1d20+4)[15]/(1d20+4)[9]; (1d10+15)[23]
    Last edited by Xihirli; 2022-08-11 at 03:06 PM.
    Show

30. - Top - End - #150
    Ogre in the Playground

"Huh-wha-?" Skipsy grunts groggily, lurching up from her slumber, hair even more of a mess than usual. She dons her armor, half awake and seemingly only half aware of the stomping. At first sight of the treant, she lights right up, almost vibrating with excitement that such a wonderous creature had wandered their way and that she might have an opportunity to explain what they are and their relationship to Night Elven society at length. Until it throws a rock.

The gnome looks as if she's been slapped in the face, utterly shocked and betrayed that the treant would do such a thing, "What! How dare! It takes a moment to sink in that, "...Dangit," this thing means them harm and her gun would be needed. She reluctantly takes aim and fires, "I swear these guys are normally so nice! Ox, get in there!" Ox scrambles into pecking range, diving forward to meet the tree creature's shin.

"'Lastra! Touch this thing here, then shoot the tree!" She jerks her head toward the floating symbol of the Comet card just next to her, "It's a little protective glyph!"

Show
    Skipsy's HP: 42 / 42
    Ox's HP: 36 / 36

Action: Skipsy attacks the treant, firing twice with her pistol
    Attack - (1d20+7)[24] for Piercing Damage - (1d10+4)[8]
    Attack - (1d20+7)[10] for Piercing Damage - (1d10+4)[11]
    Bonus Action: Ox likewise runs into melee and attacks the treant
    Attack - (1d20+7)[25] for Force Damage - (1d8+3)[5]