New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 9 of 14 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #241
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Madness at Brightmore Abbey IC

After taking a short breather to recover, you slowly pick your way back down the hill towards the Font - thankfully an easier journey than climbing up the steep hill, whether or not you take a real path in the dark. No dryad music catches your ear, nor any wandering treants block your path, and you mercifully make it back to the clearing with the calming glow of magical water without incident. Some of the elves still regard you cautiously or with outright distrust, but Analastra is there, and she breaks any ice with a sincere, yet not particularly concerned, queston: "You look rough. What happened?" The curiosity in her overpowers worry, and you are all alive (or undead, in Emilia's case) so she tells at a glance that none of you perished.
    DMing:
    Iron Crisis IC | OOC
    Cyre Red IC | OOC

Playing:
    OotA IC | OOC

Master Homebrew Index (5e)

2. - Top - End - #242
    Titan in the Playground

"Skipsy invented a teleporter!" Jade answers.
    "Oh, and we got beat up by angels! Like real bad. We're hoping to find a nice place to lie down for the night. Y'know, sleep off our internal bleeding."
    Spoiler: Check Out my Writing!
    Show

https://www.patreon.com/everskendra

I post short stories in the middle of every month, and if you want to follow my novels as they’re edited and written, you can join as a patron!

3. - Top - End - #243
    Ogre in the Playground

Skipsy pats Jade on the shoulder sympathetically, "We sure did, Jade, we sure did." She offers a sagely nod, then looks contemplatively skyward, "I'd classify them as a kind of spectral undead though. Though I guess they could've been constructs..." Skipsy realizes her attention is slipping, shakes herself out of it and continues, "We didn't have time to really investigate as they beat the bits out of us. We're heading back to town to report, rest, and resupply."

4. - Top - End - #244
    Titan in the Playground

Emilia Shadowburn
    Forsaken Shadow Priest
    AC: 13 HP: 6/32
    PP: 18 PIv: 9 PIs: 18
    Conditions: -
    Concentration: -

The light is still strong in the chapel. But I don't know if these guardians were corrupted or not. They did not wait for us to talk, but then again I am undead, we have a troll and goblin with us. I can understand their hostility. Emilia pauses. This "beating" as Jade put it genuinely put her faith back into the Light. Maybe solitude in Darkness was not as powerful as unity in the Light. We would like to rest with you, that much is true. And if you allow it, I would like to pray next to the well. I was going for the chapel, but it is too heavily guarded.

5. - Top - End - #245
    Titan in the Playground

"What you're saying is, they can't be evil, they're also racist," Jade remarks.
    "But yeah, we seem to have underestimated the danger here. We should report what we have before we all die and no one ever learns about this place. Thank you so much for sharing your maps with us."
    Show

I post short stories in the middle of every month, and if you want to follow my novels as they’re edited and written, you can join as a patron!

6. - Top - End - #246
    Titan in the Playground

Analastra tries in vain to suppress the look of relief that says quite clearly "Glad I didn't go up there", but she's clearly still happy to see you all. When the question comes if you can rest here she glances back to Berrian, who nods to the requests. "It won't be safe, but it'll at least be safer than out there. Hopefully no more wandering treants stamping through." It's an attempt to be reassuring, but clumsily delivered.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show

Time for a bit of party chat if you want it, otherwise I'll shift along to the return to town...probably tomorrow.
    DMing:
    Iron Crisis IC | OOC
    Cyre Red IC | OOC

Playing:
    OotA IC | OOC

7. - Top - End - #247
    Titan in the Playground

"That treant was fun," Jade recalls.
    "Hey, Skipsy! How many of those teleporters do you have? Can I have one? If not that's cool, I still have my rocket jump." Jade pulls a tiny, very unsafe looking rocket with a handle on it out of her bag of holding.
    "Hey, think there's still time to climb on top of a tower and see how far I can go?"
    Show

8. - Top - End - #248
    Titan in the Playground

Alas, the question of tower jumping goes unanswered as you settle in for sleep under the watchful eyes of the elves. Though they seem more amenable with Analastra's return the unease that is felt keeps you from ever feeling truly safe. At the very least though it does let you rest without having to set a watch - the elves have that covered, and the night at the Font passes blissfully without interruption.

Show

Take a short rest, burn any hit dice you still have as desired.

The area when you awaken is similar to that as when you slept - some of the faces are different as elven patrols go back and forth, but ultimately you slept in darkness, and woke in darkness. After you say your farewells, temporary though they may be, you continue back down the hill towards the gap in the walls that gave you access in the first place, and out beyond the Abbey's defenses. Thankfully the spiders do not seem to have repopulated in the few days you've been exploring, and you're able to break into the woods without interference.

A few hours from the Abbey walls you hear the link of bone and the clank of metal, and through the underbrush you spot a group of skeletons stood over the unmoving bodies of other skeletons. The movers are working to pick at the fallen's gear - arms and armour - and as you observe they appear to finish their task of equipping themselves. They stand in formation for a moment, before falling to the ground. The now unburdened skeletons then rise, and begin to pick at the equipment of their now-fallen brethren, a grim cycle repeating on itself.
    DMing:
    Iron Crisis IC | OOC
    Cyre Red IC | OOC

Playing:
    OotA IC | OOC

9. - Top - End - #249
    Ogre in the Playground

Skipsy peeks through the bushes, sighs sadly and whispers, "Poor guys. Wonder how long they've been stuck that way." She looks over to her friends, "I dunno if we should, but we could try to put them out of their misery? Or just...leave them to it. They're not hurting anyone."

10. - Top - End - #250
    Titan in the Playground

Jade examines them to see if they have ranged weapons.
    "If we're going to fight them, we should stay at a distance. I don't think they can do much to us if we're far away."
    Show

11. - Top - End - #251
    Titan in the Playground

Emilia Shadowburn
    Forsaken Shadow Priest
    AC: 13 HP: 30/32

Old defenders with a need to reiterate their military history. I feel for them, but I am at the brink of my capabilities. If you engage I have but orisons left.

12. - Top - End - #252
    Titan in the Playground

"Agreed," Jade says.
    "My tank isn’t empty, but I’ll need a real break before I can go into fights the way I want. I hate to pass up a fight, you all know it… I love to kill! But we should keep going and maybe loop back on the return trip."
    Show

13. - Top - End - #253
    Titan in the Playground

Choosing discretion as the better part of valour, the party circumvents the odd skeleton looters who, uninterrupted, continue their macabre cycle.

Two more days of quiet tension pass as you pick your way back across the forest of Duskwood, choosing to evade conflict when the restless dead, feral worgen, or wild beasts come close to your path. It's a struggle, and more than once you are forced to hunker down in place and conceal yourselves to avoid conflict until it passes, but eventually, finally, you reach Darkshire. It's a beacon of light against the darkness you've been forced to trudge through the past three days of travel, and from a distance it looks no different. Thankfully no one seems to have instigated a cultist uprising or undead invasion in your absence.

Show

All going to report to da boss? Splitting up to hit multiple event triggers at once?
    DMing:
    Iron Crisis IC | OOC
    Cyre Red IC | OOC

Playing:
    OotA IC | OOC

14. - Top - End - #254
    Titan in the Playground

Emilia Shadowburn
    Forsaken Shadow Priest

I will want to see the priest of the town for some guidance, and a bit of info about the Abbey. We can use a bit of spiritual leadership.; well, and something to kill those annoying defenders.

15. - Top - End - #255
    Titan in the Playground

"I’ll talk to Miss Commander with the elvish maps," Jade says. "I think she likes me best, anyway! Will you come with, Jok’lek? Just us muscle-people? It’ll be fun! We can throw stuff at random passersby!"
    Show

16. - Top - End - #256
    Ogre in the Playground

"Do you think the priest carries unholy water?" Skipsy wearily rubs her chin, musing at the possibilities, "Probably not, that'd be weird! I think I'll head by the general store. I'll grab some healing potions, some more trail rations, and some other stuff. I've got a list!" She waves her journal around, "If any of you need anything, just lemme know and I'll be back with an itemized bill for you."

17. - Top - End - #257
    Titan in the Playground

"Oooh! Yeah, could I get a Climber’s Kit, an abacus, ten javelins, a meat pie, some new arrows to replace the ones the elf used, a crowbar, some ball bearings, a hat with a real big feather, a flail, a war pick, and a bell?" Jade passes Skipsy one hundred gold coins in two big, two-handed scoops out of her bag.
    "I noticed that I wasn’t nearly prepared enough last time and I won’t be caught with my pants down again… in fact, get me a belt."
    Last edited by Xihirli; 2022-10-21 at 06:54 AM.
    Show

18. - Top - End - #258
    Titan in the Playground

Emilia Shadowburn
    Forsaken Shadow Priest

I doubt a human priest carries anything void-infused against the holy powers of the guardians. But I make a mental mark to ask them anyway. I might be able to douse something in the dark powers of beyond, but I don't think we are making any friends here if they realize we are after these powers. I am glad they did not see through my disguise. Speaking of which, Emilia moves a hand over her face and her humanoid self from a day prior is to be seen. Easier on the eyes. I will hurry towards the chaplain and then quickly pick up a room and stay there when the illusion is not active.

19. - Top - End - #259
    Titan in the Playground

While not exactly warmly welcomed into town, you nevertheless pass through the gates with minimal fanfare - they've seen you once, and with the knowledge you have a job from Althea Ebonlocke, there's no reason to delay you.

Town Hall

Jade, and any who went with her, find the Town Hall much as it was before, with a steady stream of petitioners. Commander Ebonlocke doesn't appear to have moved at all since last you saw her, as if she always stands in that exact same spot, though surely this cannot be the case - even the Commander must sleep at some point, right? She regards your approach with mild interest and summons you forward after finishing a brief conversation with a subordinate. "Report." She orders, with the same brisk tone of one used to being followed.

Chapel

Wandering town blindly in search of the local clergy seems ill-advised, but a quick query with a local points you towards a small chapel located up a hill. The building looks far more recently constructed than most of Darkshire, and despite the Light worship of the town it almost seems out of place, appearing to be squeezed between two existing buildings that both have clearly stood for far longer. The exterior bears symbology recognisable as both that of the human's Church of the Holy Light and that of the Draenei's Light worship.

The door is open, allowing the light within to spill out onto the streets and beat back against the darkness. Emilia's skin twitches at its touch beneath her illusion, though any who followed her find no such discomfort. The interior of the small chapel is sparse, with only two pews before the lectern and altar. There is little in the way of decoration or ornamentation, save for a gilded silver symbol standing on the altar for all to see. Dressed in the simple roughspun robes of a clergyman is a male draenei, whose height and bulk seems to almost dwarf the room. He regards those who enter with a warm and welcoming expression, beckoning them forward. "Come in out of the darkness there. All are welcome in the Light. I am Anchorite Delan, and have the honour of ministering to this place. Is there ought you seek?"

General Store

The General Store for Duskwood is easy to find, adjacent to the main town square, with a helpful sign out front advertising 'Baubbletump's Emporium!' - exclamation mark included. Inside is a brightly lit, and excessively decorated shop flush with all manner of items - far too many to list in any reasonable period of time, but with row upon row of shelves, boxes, barrels, and what looks like stairs to a second floor of even more, it might take a while but you can be fairly assured you'll find what you need.

A black cat sits on a small podium by the door, alertly watching those who come in with keen eyes that hint at an intelligence beyond that of a normal feline, or perhaps that's just the way the lighting catches them. Behind a counter at the rear of the store is a bald gnome with an enormous moustache and beard that falls beyond their feet while they're sat down, and likely only just avoiding scraping the ground while he stands. No doubt from his dress and expression this is the aforementioned Herble Baubbletump.

Show

The general store has all non-magical adventuring gear. Morg the smith has non-magical weapons/armour that you might want/need.
    If you want anything magical, he'll only have common or uncommon magic items (inc. weapons/armour): Roll a d6 for the item in question. If it's uncommon, it's available on a 6. If it's common, it's available on a 5 or 6. Otherwise, not available.
    DMing:
    Iron Crisis IC | OOC
    Cyre Red IC | OOC

Playing:
    OotA IC | OOC

20. - Top - End - #260
    Titan in the Playground

Jade takes out the map, with the elvish additions, and passes it over to Ebonlocke
    "Oh, there are SO MANY GNOLLS. They have an Ettin guard, with at least one head always awake. The village has a divided force of one hundred and fifty gnolls and mercenaries... so the gnolls aren't alone. Over here, there's dryads, neutral. We scouted out the big abbey in the middle here, ran into some tomb guardian spirits and got the everloving **** kicked out of us. We wanted to get some more info, but... I used to have a lot more blood, you know? I'm pretty sure we're all planning on going back, so this is just what we've got so far."
    Jade answers any questions about the map, pointing them out and echoing her elf friends from earlier.
    Show

21. - Top - End - #261
    Titan in the Playground

Emilia Shadowburn
    Forsaken Shadow Priest

As Emilia enters the chapel, she feels the familiar burn of holy energy. She knows she cannot dwell here for long, and she cannot trick a holy man. Archenon poros, anchorite. she imitates a traditional Draenei greeting she heard once. My name is Emilia, and I seek the Light. I seek help, and personal guidance. We are trying to see what we can do about the abandoned chapel in the area, and its main halls are protected by powerful creatures of light. They cannot be reasoned with, and they attack me if I show my true form.

The forsaken slumps together in a pew, her illusion suddenly adjusting her practical leather outfit to kind of make sense of her new posture. You Draenei are holy star children, and beyond blessed. I however am cursed by the shadows. I fear if I reveal more you will chase me out. Even coming here hurts my very essence. She pulls out her ritual dagger as it emits a miasma of smog, an inanimate item, but visibly disturbed by the presence of the light. I serve the Void as it was the only thing that gave me comfort in my time of need. After the fall of Lordaeron, after the Scourge and the Lich King. She hoped her vague hints were enough for the pater to understand. I want to find my path to the Light once more. Even if it destroys me. She stands up, with conviction, her dagger in hand and approaches Delan, then hands him her weapon in devotion. The Light may consume me for this, but I want unity with my fellow adventurers, not solitude in darkness. Even though she seemed to be crying, her veiled face stayed dry. Instead she just shivered in anticipation.
    Last edited by Spore; 2022-10-27 at 04:37 AM.

22. - Top - End - #262
    Titan in the Playground

Town Hall

Althea listens quietly to Jade's explanations and information, before retrieving a sack of coin from below her desk and sliding it across the table. "600, as agreed. If drunken boasting is to be believed the ettin has already been slain by another group. I believe they are still in the tavern if you wish to speak to them about it." She looks down at the map again, her eyes wandering across it with a calculating expression. "Any other information of note?"

Chapel

Unwilling to take the blade without adequate protection, Delan first places a pair of thick gloves over both hands. He examines it briefly, before swiftly handing it back. When he speaks, the patient tone is one of understanding, though how much he still knows isn't clear. "Light and shadow are two sides of the same coin. What was once darkened can be turned back to the Light. It requires no great sacrifice, no clear act before the eyes of gods, kings, or men. All we are is our choices. You say you chose shadow, once. Now you have come here hoping for the Light." He shakes his head, though it's not out of cold denial, but rather correction. "It was already with you." The anchorite taps his broad chest where you can guess the heart is. "Each step is your choice to make. I will pray that you continue to walk always in the Light." The word stress is clear, but it is clearly one of hope, rather than one of warning.
    DMing:
    Iron Crisis IC | OOC
    Cyre Red IC | OOC

Playing:
    OotA IC | OOC

23. - Top - End - #263
    Ogre in the Playground

"Ooh! A Baubbletump!" Skipsy claps excitedly as she enters, thrilled at the opportunity to meet another gnome, "Hi, Cat!" Before she does any shopping, Skipsy makes her way up to the counter, "Morning, Mr. Baubbletump! Or evening? I don't really know, Duskwood's weird. Anyway! I'm Skipsy, Skipsy Turncrank, and it's always so nice to meet another gnome out here!" She shakes his hand, if offered, "I've got a couple questions for you before I start shopping!" Skipsy flips open her journal, skimming through pages until she finds her list.

"Ah, here we go! Do you have any healing potions in stock? I understand demand's gotta be pretty high here, but I could use...basically however many you've got! Also, do you have any carts? Humans and their long arms, they sometimes don't appreciate how hard it is for us small folk just to carry stuff! I got a box in here," she shakes her bag of holding, "just to stand on, cause their counters are too high! Also also," closing her journal, mindful to keep a finger on the page to mark her place, she narrows her eyes critically as she looks the fully-bearded gnome up and down. After a moment, a wry smile creeps its way on to her face, a pointed finger starts wagging and she continues, "Do you have a son or nephew back in Gnomeregan? I think my cousin, K.T., said something about dating a Baubbletump back home and, wouldn't you know it, you look a lot like how she described him!"

24. - Top - End - #264
    Titan in the Playground

Emilia Shadowburn
    Forsaken Holy? Priest

The undead ruminates a few minutes over the words. Her friends saw past her ugly exterior, the woman and friend beyond it. They were the true reason she was here. The years of darkness, of loneliness and isolation before where horrific. There was no pain but no happiness, no life anymore. Her unlife was just a long stretch of subdued suffering. No, if her existence ended, it would be as a member of a group.

I think I understand. she finally goes. I expect my un-life to be short, but filled with Light, devoted to my friends. But I prefer to live life to its fullest rather than hiding from death in the darkness. She bows and leaves towards the tavern looking to get a room before her illusion expires. She enjoyed the Light, but part of her was glad to leave the sacred grounds. This also reminded her the abandoned chapel was desecrated and showing her the divine guardians were indeed crazed.

Spoiler
    Show
    If feasible Emilia would stay a few minutes in the tavern's drinking hall to hear a few rumors before retreating upstairs.

Last edited by Spore; 2022-10-27 at 04:37 AM.

25. - Top - End - #265
    Titan in the Playground

A string of swears pour out of Jade's mouth. "I wanted to fight an Ettin!" She complains.
    "Ah, damn it. Uh, yes. We ran into some wood elves also scouting the area. Friendly enough, as long as you're respectful. There were also some bizarre creatures about that had some Void connection if I recall correctly – Warm Stalkers. Giant purple wolf things that were in multiple places at once and were drawn to magic. Even the giant spiders, which I've learned are normal in this region, phase in and out of existence."
    Jade takes the sack and briefly weighs it, nodding satisfied that it was in fact 600 gold coins.
    "Aaaaand I had a question on if you had any bounties on giant spiders, or if you wanted other jobs done in the Abbey Area, since me and mine have our hearts set on returning anyhow. Maybe that bounty on gnoll heads I asked about before, eh?"
    Show

26. - Top - End - #266
    Titan in the Playground

Town Hall

It's brief, but there's a flicker of concern that flashes over Althea's expression when the number of gnolls is mentioned. "I don't have any bounties on animals at the moment. These elves - were they passing through or did they seem to be staying? Could they be made into allies?"

Town Streets

Shortly after leaving the small chapel, before she can reach the tarvern, a figure raises their voice to Emilia, calling upon her to stop. "Pardon miss, but did I hear correctly that you visited a chapel in the area?" Owner of the gruff voice reveals himself as a human in perhaps his 40s or 50s, with a clean cut hair and neatly trimmed beard. He wears full plate emblazoned with the light's symbol, and a vast libram hangs at his waist - typical symbols of a paladin. "You are part of the group that went to Brightmore, are you not? I am Sir Oakley, and I wonder if we might share a common goal."

General Store

The gnome perks up at Skipsy's introduction. "Well hello there Miss Turncrank, and a pleasure it is to meet you this fine day. I do believe we've got three potions in the back - as you say, demand is quite high! The Night's Watch buys up most of them that come through Darkshire, and a good job it is too. God to keep our boys and girls of the Watch in tip-top shape, that's what I say, yes I do. Afraid I don't keep in touch with the family back north these days, not ever since Auntie Hubble's Chicken Incident." Herble shivers. "I'm sure I could source a cart if'n you're in need of one, but they don't do well off roads, and Duskwood's trails aren't as well maintained as they used to be!"
    DMing:
    Iron Crisis IC | OOC
    Cyre Red IC | OOC

Playing:
    OotA IC | OOC

27. - Top - End - #267
    Titan in the Playground

"The elves didn't tell us, but I got the impression they were there as part of a larger campaign. My friend Barry called the creatures in the Abbey a 'blight,' so I think your goals might align. Want me to go talk to them? I'm sure I can win them over!" Jade looks sullen for a second as she recalls something.
    "Ah... also... we found and burned the bodies of a couple that must have ventured out of town on their own. I don't know who they were, but... they had this." Jade pulls a potion of healing from her bag of holding.
    "So I imagine they were quite well-off to afford it. Do you know who they might have been?"
    Show

28. - Top - End - #268
    Barbarian in the Playground

MonkGirl

While Jade pours out expletives, Jok'lek sighs with some relief hearing the ettin has been dealt with. He shares a want to test himself on such a thing, but the close call with the guardians still weighed on him, both in how he could have done better and the brush with death itself. He also corrects Jade immediately after she says the wrong terms - ""Blood elves. Warp Stalkers." but lets her do the brunt of the talking. After she's done and Ebonlocke responds, he adds "Their encampment seemed to be investigating the place too, though their reasons are unknown. It sounds like they're looking to deal with them, same as us, and I'm sure you could use the numbers and resources. As for character, they seemed alright, and they were more than willing to cooperate and give us their information, though obviously that's your call, Commander."

29. - Top - End - #269
    Titan in the Playground

Town Hall

Althea glances at the potion, but it's clearly writ on her face she doesn't know the people. "We advise any travelers to stay on the roads, and locals know better than to leave them. You might have more luck asking in the tavern."

She ponders her map some more, before continuing. "I would like to evict the gnolls, but with those numbers it will be a marathon, not a sprint, and proper groundwork needs be laid. I will prepare a letter of introduction and request these elves join forces with us. I would hire your group to see that they agree to the alliance - 1000 gold, for their agreement."
    DMing:
    Iron Crisis IC | OOC
    Cyre Red IC | OOC

Playing:
    OotA IC | OOC

30. - Top - End - #270
    Titan in the Playground

Jade nudges Jok'lek.
    "Heyyyy, we're moving up in the world, aren't we? Awesome, I'll talk to the rest of the team about it and I expect we'll be back to pick up the letter in the morning. Then it's WAR with the gnolls!"
    Show