New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default What does "clear" mean on this map?

Hello, I was perusing my copy of The Vilhon Reach and the map legend has an odd terrain type that's labeled as "clear". This terrain is distinctly different than plains/grasslands, and it doesn't appear to be desert or badlands (there are vast forests in the middle of "clear" terrain).

Do we know what this terrain type actually means in terms of travel, fauna, flora and the types of encounters that might be had there?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: What does "clear" mean on this map?

My guess would be it means grassland which the cartographer didn't really think about.

Alternatively, it might be farmland.
    We are not standing on the shoulders of giants, but on very tall tower of other dwarves.

Spriggan's Den Heroic Fantasy Roleplaying

3. - Top - End - #3
    Bugbear in the Playground

Looking at the overall map, I'd guess that "Grasslands/Plains" refers to tall grass or savanna wild areas and "Clear" refers to low grass, largely "civilized" arable farmland style terrain. That's why the Shining Plains, full of centaur and wemic tribes, is the only region with the grasslands symbol and why much of "Clear" is regions with roads and town locations spread throughout.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Jophiel View Post
    Looking at the overall map, I'd guess that "Grasslands/Plains" refers to tall grass or savanna wild areas and "Clear" refers to low grass, largely "civilized" arable farmland style terrain. That's why the Shining Plains, full of centaur and wemic tribes, is the only region with the grasslands symbol and why much of "Clear" is regions with roads and town locations spread throughout.
    Agree with this. For movement rates, use the 'clear, farmland' cost. For random encounters, I'd use any table labeled 'Inhabited or Patrolled Areas.'

5. - Top - End - #5
    Dwarf in the Playground

Thanks, everyone. This great advice!

6. - Top - End - #6
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by JadedDM View Post
    Agree with this. For movement rates, use the 'clear, farmland' cost. For random encounters, I'd use any table labeled 'Inhabited or Patrolled Areas.'
    This is exactly the right way to go about it.