New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #91
    Barbarian in the Playground

BlackDragon

Default Re: Rabble To Rulers [IC]

While chaotic energy patches wounded, sorcerer examines fallen Genestealer and chops his head and one of his arms, taking them as trophies.

Kairon wasn't surprised at all, when Merian and his squad disappeared. Cultists always were cannon folder for marines, and nothing would have changed it. Of course, Blackheart considered himself more valuable, but for now he only could hope to prove it to Merian some day, probably by tearing both of his hearts from his chest. For now, they had to run, and to think, how to deal with whatever was coming for them.

- True. Time to run. Prepare anything that can serve as a distraction. - this words were said already on the move. While moving, Kairon searches for a good place to place a distracting illusion.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Silent Image of one of marines, prepared to shoot - somewhere on our way, when the roar gets closer.
    About healing - no, I spend only the most necessary on Klor, other hp is distributed between "our" wounded. 15 hp from lay of hands, if necessary.

2. - Top - End - #92
    Colossus in the Playground

You head back the way you came. The initial travel is tense, but safe. But then you see it-in the large room, is a Carnifex. Small for its brood, presumably, to fit in there, but it's ready to fight.

Spoiler: OOC And Carnifex Details
    Show
    I forget which one of you rolled super well on knowledge, but I'll assume they share the info so it's not needed to spoiler this from others.

A Carnifex is a living battering ram, a 10'-20' tall dynamo of destruction. Their melee is fierce, no matter what, but they can also have spines they can shoot, acid maws, bioplasma, and all manner of other nastiness. It is unlikely to remain in that room if you try to kite it-it will literally rip through the bulkheads to get to you. You need to be smart to figure out a way past it without resulting in at least one death.

The exact dimensions of the room are such that 60' of movement would end with you right near the door, but still in the room. 70' or more in a turn is needed to make it through in one turn.
    I have a LOT of Homebrew!

Spoiler: Former Avatars
    Show
    Spoiler: Avatar (Not In Use) By Linkele
    Show

Spoiler: Individual Avatar Pics
    Show

3. - Top - End - #93
    Titan in the Playground

Polly swallowed and tossed the corpse of the genestealer ahead of them, then moved around the room giving the corpse and the monster a wide berth. Hopefully, it would take the easy meal and ignore them outright.
    Spoiler: Check Out my Writing!
    Show

https://www.patreon.com/everskendra

I post short stories in the middle of every month, and if you want to follow my novels as they’re edited and written, you can join as a patron!

4. - Top - End - #94

BlackDragon

Kairon moves across the hall, simultaneously casting two distracting illusions and hoping, that the monstrosity would happen to be unimaginative enough to fall for this trick. This one for now definitely could not become Blackheart's trophie.

Show
    I use Quicken (for last 2 sorcery points) and cast two illusions - Silent and Minor, making an illusionary terminator, whose armor is decorated with Tyranids bones and skulls, and, at the other part of the hall - a space marine sorcerer, with a staff, made from Tyranid spine. I place them so, that it would be more convenient for Carnifex to run to them, than to us, and so, that they are divided by at least 40 feet, and he wouldn't be able to interact with them in one turn.

5. - Top - End - #95
    Ettin in the Playground

Alyssa tries to be as silent as possible, hoping the beast is distracted.

Show
    Stealth: (1d20+6)[17]
    The name is "tonberrian", even when it begins a sentence. It's magic, I ain't gotta 'splain why.

6. - Top - End - #96

You take a moment to prepare yourselves, and dash through the chamber as quickly as possible. Alyssa grabs Squelp, hoisting him bodily and charging through.

The Carnifex lashes out, its tusks and talons a blur of death.

Show
    (1d20+12)[25] Hit roll
    (4d12+8)[29] Damage roll for physical
    (2d12)[11] Damage roll for acid

Targeting Alyssa, who has resistance to the first bit, but not the second bit.

25 damage total, if I'm reading that right.

She takes it-hard. She's gonna have a scar, and acid burns too. But she grits her teeth and barrels through the pain, leading her comrades out of the death chamber.

No one stops running when you hit the other side-you can already hear the 'Fex tearing through the bulkheads to reach you. Irriana gets on the vox and says, panicky, "We'll be there in two minutes! Have it ready, gods above and below, have it ready!"

Seraph's voice comes through the vox. "Get into the torpedo-I'm gonna haul the whole thing off, and we'll get you into the Host." Her calm, stern demeanor is relaxing, given the circumstances.

You rush into the torpedo, and there's what feels like an eon of time, waiting to be collected or the Carnifex to tear through the Hulk and reach you. But there's a massive jerk, and the torpedo splits off from the Hulk.

You're drifting in close to zero-g for about half an hour before they finally manage to collect you. The crewmember who opens the door says "Merian and the others think you're dead. Won't they be surprised to see you!"
    Last edited by JNAProductions; 2022-07-01 at 01:12 PM.

Show
    Show

Show

7. - Top - End - #97
    Titan in the Playground

"Yes, I'm sure he'll be delighted," Polly said, climbing out of the torpedo.
    She reached out to Alyssa. "Here, let me take a look at that." She applied a salve to the wound and wrapped it.

Show
    Cure Wounds level 2! (2d8+6)[15]

"I gather the armor was recovered in working order?"
    Show

I post short stories in the middle of every month, and if you want to follow my novels as they’re edited and written, you can join as a patron!

8. - Top - End - #98

"Not sure-Merian took his crew and they've been tinkering with it since they returned," the crewperson says.

Show
    Show

Show

9. - Top - End - #99
    Ettin in the Playground

Alyssa unflinchingly takes the blow and the subsequent medical treatment. Just another scar. And another reason to kill the marines, she thinks darkly.
    The name is "tonberrian", even when it begins a sentence. It's magic, I ain't gotta 'splain why.

10. - Top - End - #100

BlackDragon

- Guess they should be - we've met a Carnifex. Sadly had no time to take trophies, - answered Kairon. Now it was time to rest and to think, How to gather power. They survived again, but next time in the company of marines could be lethal. And Blackheart didn't want to die as a mere cultist.

11. - Top - End - #101
    Titan in the Playground

"Not entirely true – Minsei, show me the eggs you got!" Polly snatched the sack away from her homunculus and took a look inside.

"Maybe I’ll find a use for these eggs, eh?"
    Last edited by Xihirli; 2022-07-03 at 12:37 PM.
    Show

12. - Top - End - #102

The only eggs the little construct was able to collect were remnants-nothing waiting to hatch. But given how Tyranids work, that's probably for the best.

Despite being literal eggshells, they're surprisingly durable, and slightly caustic to the touch.

Show
    Anything more here, or should I move us on a bit?

Show
    Show

Show

13. - Top - End - #103

You find your way to your quarters, and rest. It's been a rather stressful timeframe-a little clearing of the head will do you all well.

When you wake up, you head for the mess of the Host. But, before you reach there, a messenger from Captain Seraph intercepts you, and informs you she'd like to see you by the helm.

Show
    Show

Show

14. - Top - End - #104
    Titan in the Playground

Polly scowled at the message.
    "Understood," she said evenly.
    She checked that all if the potions she’d brewed to replace the used ones were properly in place.
    She glanced to her two coconspirators.
    "Together, then?"
    Show

15. - Top - End - #105
    Ettin in the Playground

Alyssa nods. She's almost ready to just attack the marines in front of everyone. Almost.

16. - Top - End - #106

BlackDragon

- Yes. Let's check it out, - Kairon also nods and heads to Captain.

17. - Top - End - #107

Captain Seraph is surprisingly not busy when you arrive. She's sitting in the helm room, sipping some tea, and not barking orders out. She turns to face you, her chair swiveling. "Take a seat," she says, gesturing to a few stools propped against the wall. When you're situated, she takes a long draught from her cup, and sets it down. "Alright. I don't know if anyone told you, but Klor came to chew me out for 'wasting time' rescuing you three, Irriana, and Squelp. Doubt he had the idea to do it himself. But he did threaten to kill me, and had to be reminded that none of his bunch knows how to operate the ship."

She's silent for a few moments, debating about what to say next.

Spoiler: Wisdom (Insight) DC 10
    Show
    Her motives are unreadable.

Spoiler: DC 14
    Show
    Despite that, you get the feeling she's on your side. Not theirs.

Spoiler: DC 18
    Show
    She's worried about what she's about to say. Nervous that someone might overhear.

Show
    Show

Show

18. - Top - End - #108
    Titan in the Playground

"I’d just like yo take this moment to say that I, personally, am a big fan of your decision," Polly assured her.
    "And if someone were to try to kill you, well… I very much do not owe my life to Klor. I owe it to you. So I’m right beside you, captain. Whatever you need."
    Show

19. - Top - End - #109

BlackDragon

- No doubt they were not going to. And I'm grateful for resque. Question is, what can we do now. Either way, you can count on my help. - Kairon sees captain's mental state and speaks firmly and confidently. Although he himself has no idea, How to deal with marines.

20. - Top - End - #110
    Ettin in the Playground

"Maybe if they shared their escape route you wouldn't have needed to."

21. - Top - End - #111

She smiles-a rare sight. "I appreciate the vote of confidence. Here," she says, and hands one of you a strange-looking vox. "This might help elucidate some matters. Use it carefully, and in private."

With that, she drains the last of her tea. "We're not going anywhere right now-the ship, at least. I'll make sure everyone knows when we start moving again."

Show
    Show

Show

22. - Top - End - #112

BlackDragon

Without much words Kairon nods and takes an item, then adds: - For now we need to rest. See you, Captain, - turns around and waits for his squadmates to follow. Blackheart is not really tired, but his powers are exhausted, - he didn't lie to Captain. But still there's an important question: - I want to examine the gift, but need time to recover. Anyone wants to deal with it right now?

23. - Top - End - #113
    Titan in the Playground

Polly reached for the box.
    "I’ll hold onto it, I have a lot of strange things and should be able to explain whatever this is if I need to. We should open it together, but doing that tomorrow should work. Maybe in the quarters we cleared out?" Polly suggested.
    Show

24. - Top - End - #114
    Ettin in the Playground

Alyssa nods.

25. - Top - End - #115

You exit the helmsroom, and return to your quarters. Polly finds a good spot to store the vox-not exactly hidden, but not obvious either.

A while passes, and you head for Painhelm's old room. Before you get too close, you hear the sounds of mechanical items whirring and beeping-it seems this is where they chose to work on the armor. You make the wise decision of NOT interrupting them, and find an out of the way room.

The vox appears mostly ordinary, but holding it gives you faint visions and whispers, right on the edge of your senses.

Spoiler: Intelligence (Arcana or Investigation, Advantage If Both) DC 12
    Show
    The vox is chaos-touched.

Spoiler: DC 15
    Show
    It doesn't seem to be attuned to any particular one of the four gods.

Spoiler: DC 19
    Show
    You recognize one of the symbols on it-it's subtle, but it's there. Black Legion.

Spoiler: Black Legion
    Show
    Lemme know what you know of them, and I'll fill gaps.

Show
    Show

Show

26. - Top - End - #116
    Titan in the Playground

Polly pulled out some mind-enhancing smelling salts out and offered them to Kairon.
    "These should help you focus."

Show
    Guidance!
    Show

27. - Top - End - #117

BlackDragon

Kairon inhales the salts and his mind sharpens. While slowly examining the vox, he manages to learn several things, and shares them with squadmates: - Well, Well. So, you feel its connection with Chaos, do you? None of any particular God, but with Chaos Undivided. And here, see this symbol? - there's the Black Legion sign. What do you know about them?

28. - Top - End - #118
    Titan in the Playground

"Nothing! Can you put them in a potion?" Polly asked.
    Show

29. - Top - End - #119

BlackDragon

Blackheart grins and answers: - Doubt it. They are the biggest Chaos Legion, after all. But we probably can contact them.

30. - Top - End - #120
    Ettin in the Playground

"But why would we want to?"