New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Colossus in the Playground

Default Re: Build Divination Wizard lvl5 with strange ability score generation

Quote Originally Posted by yisopo View Post
    Oh, right, I didn't notice your suggestion regarding Sleep. I was thinking to Magic Missile because it can break enemy casters' concentration easily.

It's just the best level 1 combat spell bar none (just be careful to not cast it on Elves or some such). I might consider dropping Gift of Alacrity until level 5, though you might be able to skimp on Absorb Elements too.
    Wow, you really value Initiative very high if even with a base +9/+10 bonus you think Gift of Alacrity may be worth a 1st-level slot.
    Sleep breaks caster concentration too. And also is just like 20 "damage" from a level 1 slot: if you Sleep someone, they're almost dead.

And yeah, Initiative is basically a free action surge. While relatively additional bonuses get less valuable, until you're at like +20 you don't mind extra bonuses.
    Campaign Journal: Uncovering the Lost World - A Player's Diary in Low-Magic D&D (Latest Update: 8.3.2014)
    Being Bane: A Guide to Barbarians Cracking Small Men - Ever Been Angry?! Then this is for you!
    SRD Averages - An aggregation of all the key stats of all the monster entries on SRD arranged by CR.

2. - Top - End - #62
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Re: Build Divination Wizard lvl5 with strange ability score generation

Quote Originally Posted by Damon_Tor View Post
    On the discussion of small vs medium creatures, it's worth discussing whether or not your DM takes that into consideration when determining cover. A ~2 foot tall fairy should be able to find total cover much more easily than any other species available to you.

Small creatures also have the benefit of more freedom in mount selection, which can include other party members. This is less important when you can fly, but still worth thinking about.
    Hi Damon_Tor, thank you for the input. On weighing up the pros and cons, I decided on medium size. ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by Eldariel View Post
    Sleep breaks caster concentration too. And also is just like 20 "damage" from a level 1 slot: if you Sleep someone, they're almost dead.

And yeah, Initiative is basically a free action surge. While relatively additional bonuses get less valuable, until you're at like +20 you don't mind extra bonuses.
    <thumb-up> :-)