New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #151
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Am I being salty about nothing?

Quote Originally Posted by GloatingSwine View Post
    But then that's a concrete in-universe reason that the GM made up and got to fully define the parameters of, and chose to use to edit out a prior decision they made (enabling the players to convert a possible plot coupon into an unreasonable number of pumpkins) but now wanted to unmake without having to come up with a naturalistic reason.
    Sure, they can, but it's not necessarily the "right" answer either. Personally, I prefer it when the GM creates the world however they choose, but doesn't alter it depending on player action. For example, if the GM decides that the castle is guarded by 20 guards, thinking that would be enough to keep the PCs out, I don't think the GM should add another 20 that were "there all along" when it turns out the PCs killed all the original guards. It's a matter of preference, obviously.

The classic "creeping fog" method of entry into Barovia is intended to be more seamless (and therefore spooky). You encamp for the night, the fog rolls in, and when wake up in the morning your camp is somewhere else. It hasn't changed, none of it is missing. It is in fact *exactly* as it was when you went to sleep, it's just moved without any of you noticing anything.
    And if that was what the GM had in mind, only to decide to not include the pumpkins because they couldn't be bothered or wanted to mess with the players or something, I agree that it was wrong.

2. - Top - End - #152
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Keltest View Post
    And I'm honestly surprised by the number of people willing and ready to assume that the DM was going "muahahah, yes, I have successfully stolen away their pumpkins with a veneer of justification! I am so evil, bwahaha!" Rambo's dog jokes aside, theyre pumpkins. The DM almost certainly didnt care about them either way and assumed the players didn't either (and lets be real, somebody who actually cares about 100 GP is unlikely to invest it in 7 tons of pumpkins), so he left them. Even the OP was half thinking this is just a visceral "don't touch my stuff ever" reaction instead of a real problem.
    It's not the DM's place to decide which of the party's possessions are important to the party. If the DM felt that the party buying an arbitrarily large number of pumpkins was going to be a problem for the game, then the way to handle that was to make it so that there weren't that many pumpkins available to buy. The process matters here.

Quote Originally Posted by Pauly View Post
    Without going i to the specifics of pumpkin kings.
    1) if player agency has any meaning it also means the ability to do dumb frivolous things.
    2) players should not be immune from the consequences of dumb frivolous acts.
    3) The game is a 2 way street. Which means just as the GM shouldn’t arbitrarily delete the player’s stuff that the players shouldn’t arbitrarily delete the GM’s stuff.
    3a) If a specific item is inserted into the campaign the working assumption should be that of Chekov’s gun i.e. it was created and pout into the game for a purpose.
    4) When playing a linear adventure the GM has a duty to redirect players from non campaign relevant stuff back to the campaign.
    1) I can't tell if this is agreeing or disagreeing with what I said. I agree that buying a giant pile of pumpkins was probably a dumb idea, but by making the pumpkins available to purchase, the DM is tacitly allowing the PCs to have them.
    2) Reasonable consequences that make sense in-universe and flow logically from that decision, yes. Having the pumpkins rot because the PCs didn't bother to look at a map and realize it was a much longer journey than they thought would be a reasonable consequence. Arbitrarily leaving their stuff behind when they are whisked away in the middle of the night without any chance to grab their stuff or resist being taken is not a logical consequence of their actions, it's DM fiat.
    3) The players by definition can't "arbitrarily delete the GM's stuff." That's not how being a player works.
    3a) There's no reason whatsoever to assume that based on the information we have. At a certain DM's table who is known for doing things this way it's probably a good assumption. But just as a general assumption about how D&D works, absolutely not. The DMG is literally full of random treasure generating tables. Sure, this particular item was a parting gift from an NPC they had met, but I've already addressed why I do not believe that equals "this item will be important later."
    4) Which can and should be done in a less heavy-handed way than "when you wake up your stuff is gone."

The DM also has an obligation to make their own rulings the correct choice, or have an out of character conversation if they want to undo them. The DM in this case didn't say no when the players sold the jewellery or when they bought the pumpkins, so now they should have to deal with players who own a cartful of pumpkins.

Cuts both ways, y'know.
    Exactly.
    Quote Originally Posted by 2D8HP View Post
    Work is the scourge of the gaming classes!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kish View Post
    Neither Evershifting List of Perfectly Prepared Spells nor Grounds to Howl at the DM If I Ever Lose is actually a wizard class feature.

3. - Top - End - #153
    Firbolg in the Playground

Again, people keep acting like this was some evil scheme on the DMs part to deprive them of pumpkins he didn’t want them to have. I am sure that a cartload of produce was the last thing on the DMs mind, and trying to railroad the PCs by telling them they couldn’t have that many pumpkins as many posters have suggested was, imo, in no way a better solution for either party.

Of course, I am still waiting on clarification for what the pumpkins are for.
    Looking for feedback on Heart of Darkness, a character driven RPG of Gothic fantasy.

4. - Top - End - #154
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Velaryon View Post

3) The players by definition can't "arbitrarily delete the GM's stuff." That's not how being a player works.
    3a) There's no reason whatsoever to assume that based on the information we have. At a certain DM's table who is known for doing things this way it's probably a good assumption. But just as a general assumption about how D&D works, absolutely not. The DMG is literally full of random treasure generating tables. Sure, this particular item was a parting gift from an NPC they had met, but I've already addressed why I do not believe that equals "this item will be important later."
    Players delete GM stuff all the time, it’s the essence of being a murder hobo. Killing NPCs who aren’t meat to be killed is the classic example. Deliberately ignoring clues is another example.

It’s pretty easy to tell if an item is treasure/reward or if it is plot related.
    - You kill the dragon, the GM makes several rolls on a table and says the treasure haul is blah blah blah plus an amulet worth 200 gp. Obviously loot for the party meant to be sold.
    - The baroness gives the player who went of her way to save Tiddums McFluffycat from the feline eating goblins who raided the baroness’ castle an amulet worth 200 gp - obviously a reward to the player for good roleplaying.
    - Old man quest giver gifts the only elf in the party a silver dwarven crossbow bolt with an unspecified value and says this is a token of the friendship between elves and dwarves. Obviously a Chekov’s gun.
    Any time there is a message attached to an item, the item is given to a specific character for a specific reason or description of an item that shows it is somehow special that goes beyond its in game effect then it is reasonable to assume it is some kind if Chekov’s gun. If later events show that the assumption is wrong or the plot has moved in a different direction then by all means sell it.

4) Which can and should be done in a less heavy-handed way than "when you wake up your stuff is gone."
    Well you could let the players struggle with the wagons for 3 weeks then tell them all the pumpkins rotted because you failed to plan for travel times, or when they finally get to market there is a glut of pumpkins and they get coppers on the gold for their investment. It’s the same effect but actually screws with the players more.

I have no problems wth a heavy handed approach such as “when you wake up your stuff is gone” provided it meets the following criteria.
    1) The stuff is game breaking. Either because it is so far off the plot as to be breaking the plot or it is way too powerful.
    2) The players have not invested too many resources into acquiring it.
    3) The players haven’t had the stuff for an extended period and therefore have the expectation that it will continue.
    4) It gets the game back on track.
    I’ve had GMs delete my stuff before, and whilst in the instant I was butthurt the game was better for it.
    Last edited by Pauly; 2022-07-01 at 04:11 PM.

5. - Top - End - #155
    Troll in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by Velaryon View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Pauly
    1) if player agency has any meaning it also means the ability to do dumb frivolous things.
    1) I can't tell if this is agreeing or disagreeing with what I said. I agree that buying a giant pile of pumpkins was probably a dumb idea, but by making the pumpkins available to purchase, the DM is tacitly allowing the PCs to have them.
    I think the meaning is that for the players to fully have agency, that has to include the possibility to do things that are mistakes, that are a net-negative for their characters.
    The GM refusing to let them buy pumpkins because the mist won't pick them up would be less than full agency, therefore.
    And IMO, so would the GM changing any previously-decided events in order to preserve the pumpkins once bought. Railroading in the players' favor is more tolerable than the reverse, but it's still not full agency.

2) Reasonable consequences that make sense in-universe and flow logically from that decision, yes. Having the pumpkins rot because the PCs didn't bother to look at a map and realize it was a much longer journey than they thought would be a reasonable consequence. Arbitrarily leaving their stuff behind when they are whisked away in the middle of the night without any chance to grab their stuff or resist being taken is not a logical consequence of their actions, it's DM fiat.
    I think that's where opinions differ - it depends on how natural the mist's behavior is seen. I'm not versed in all the Ravenloft lore, so to me there are cases for both sides:
    + The mist wants to grab victims, pumpkins are not interesting victims.
    + They're also not creatures, and if it grabbed inanimate objects wouldn't it bring in a chunk of the environment? Which doesn't seem to be the case.
    - The mist does bring clothes and gear and such, so obviously it's not limited to purely creatures.
    - The transition is elsewhere depicted as seamless, which it wouldn't be if part of the campsite / caravan / etc suddenly disappeared.

6. - Top - End - #156

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by Talakeal View Post
    Again, people keep acting like this was some evil scheme on the DMs part to deprive them of pumpkins he didn’t want them to have. I am sure that a cartload of produce was the last thing on the DMs mind, and trying to railroad the PCs by telling them they couldn’t have that many pumpkins as many posters have suggested was, imo, in no way a better solution for either party.

It was clearly not the last thing on the DM's mind because they went out of their way to specifically remove it.

Like they're running Curse of Strahd, they did the invitation from the duchess intro, didn't follow through on it (she asks you to shoo some travellers away, they say "yes, but please come with us to a thing" and that leads you to Barovia) so failed over to the creeping fog, and the DM specifically changed that to remove possessions, which it doesn't in the module (your camp is exactly as you left it, you notice the trees in the fog are subtly different from when you went to sleep and your entire camp is actually somewhere else without apparently having been disturbed at all, spoooooky!)

The DM had to do something active to remove the pumpkins, they didn't just forget the players had them.

I'm sure they didn't do it as an "evil scheme", they just wanted to not get distracted, but the time for that was when the players tried to sell the plot coupon not when they camped in the fog.

For reference, this is all the actual module says about getting into Barovia via the creeping fog:

Spoiler: Curse of Strahd Module
    Show
    The woods are quiet this night, and the air grows chill. Your fire sputters as a low mist gathers around the edges of your camp, growing closer as the night wears on. By morning, the fog hangs thick in the air, turning the trees around you into gray ghosts. Then you notice these aren't the same trees that surrounded you the night before.

Nothing changes, your possessions are not removed, there are no rules in the module for what you can and can't bring. Just you camp, fog rolls in, welcome to Estalia Barovia gentlemen.
    Last edited by GloatingSwine; 2022-07-02 at 06:28 AM.

7. - Top - End - #157

I've been trying not to say this, but I've finally failed my Will save: If I knew that I were going to be playing in a Ravenloft game (as this group apparently did), I, personally, would totally want to stock up on Pumpkins.

Now, this may sound strange, but Minecraft. I would totally want to Tainted Sorcerer free components Continual Flame jack-o'-lantern the realm of horror to the nines!

So losing my pumpkins would kinda be a big thing for me, personally.

Show
    The woods are quiet this night, and the air grows chill. Your fire sputters as a low mist gathers around the edges of your camp, growing closer as the night wears on. By morning, the fog hangs thick in the air, turning the trees around you into gray ghosts. Then you notice these aren't the same trees that surrounded you the night before.
    Well, that's just dumb. The person on watch doesn't notice the trees teleport?

8. - Top - End - #158

Quote Originally Posted by Quertus View Post
    Well, that's just dumb. The person on watch doesn't notice the trees teleport?
    I believe the transition is supposed to happen while blinded by mist.
    Looking for feedback on Heart of Darkness, a character driven RPG of Gothic fantasy.

9. - Top - End - #159
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by icefractal View Post
    I think the meaning is that for the players to fully have agency, that has to include the possibility to do things that are mistakes, that are a net-negative for their characters.
    The GM refusing to let them buy pumpkins because the mist won't pick them up would be less than full agency, therefore.
    I am with you. The mists are not natural, though, they are for darned sure supernatural, and Barovia is a dark and unique place ruled by the Dark Powers ...
    Avatar by linklele. How Teleport Works
    a. Malifice (paraphrased):
    Rulings are not 'House Rules.' Rulings are a DM doing what DMs are supposed to do.
    b. greenstone (paraphrased):
    Agency means that they {players} control their character's actions; you control the world's reactions to the character's actions.
    Gosh, 2D8HP, you are so very correct!
    Second known member of the Greyview Appreciation Society

10. - Top - End - #160

I think this was all intended. I think the DM knew that his players were more concerned about pumpkins than they were about being trapped in Barovia or stopping an evil Vampire. So the DM did the only thing he could do that would motivate his players to go after Strahd. He had the mists take away their precious pumpkins!!!

Nooooooooo!!!! Not the pumpkins!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Never has Strahd, in the history of D&D, performed so vile an act, so wicked a scheme, as to send shivers down the spines of any hag or fiend, as to dare remove some pumpkins from the players' possessions!

Legend has it the DM went on to change Barovia in another way... everywhere the players turned, there were ripe pumpkins on vines. But whenever the players approached, the pumpkins would immediately rot!! Wherever their gaze fell they could see the objects of their longing, but only from a distance, destined never to get any closer. Who is really imprisoned here? Who is the real dark power?

The devs have been so impressed by this obsessive preoccupation with pumpkins, that they immediately greenlit Curse of Strahd 2: This Time We Squash It, and have reimagined Strahd as a giant pumpkin man that lives in a giant pumpkin castle and has pumpkins for hands and feets and whenever he speaks pumpkins fly out of his mouth.

Early polling indicates this will be the most popular published adventure to date across any edition!!!

11. - Top - End - #161
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Samurai View Post
    The devs have been so impressed by this obsessive preoccupation with pumpkins, that they immediately greenlit Curse of Strahd 2: This Time We Squash It, and have reimagined Strahd as a giant pumpkin man that lives in a giant pumpkin castle and has pumpkins for hands and feets and whenever he speaks pumpkins fly out of his mouth.
    The PCs will of course be assisting the Vistani Pie maker in trying to overcome Strahd, using the sacred weapon known only as the Radiant Cool Whip Can to complete Strahd's demise. And of course the beautiful damsel in distress will be called
    Spoiler: Don't Hate Me
    Show
    Pumpkin Spice

And they'll get to eat pie.
    Pie, of course.
    Last edited by KorvinStarmast; 2022-07-05 at 02:57 PM.
    Rulings are not 'House Rules.' Rulings are a DM doing what DMs are supposed to do.
    Agency means that they {players} control their character's actions; you control the world's reactions to the character's actions.

12. - Top - End - #162
    Troll in the Playground

Imp

I think this was all intended. I think the DM knew that his players were more concerned about pumpkins than they were about being trapped in Barovia or stopping an evil Vampire. So the DM did the only thing he could do that would motivate his players to go after Strahd. He had the mists take away their precious pumpkins!!!

Nooooooooo!!!! Not the pumpkins!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Never has Strahd, in the history of D&D, performed so vile an act, so wicked a scheme, as to send shivers down the spines of any hag or fiend, as to dare remove some pumpkins from the players' possessions!

Legend has it the DM went on to change Barovia in another way... everywhere the players turned, there were ripe pumpkins on vines. But whenever the players approached, the pumpkins would immediately rot!! Wherever their gaze fell they could see the objects of their longing, but only from a distance, destined never to get any closer. Who is really imprisoned here? Who is the real dark power?

Early polling indicates this will be the most popular published adventure to date across any edition!!!
    The players wanted to play Pumpkin Tychoon TTRPG Edition and the DM destroyed their player agency by removing that option.
    Black text is for sarcasm, also sincerity. You'll just have to read between the lines and infer from context like an animal

13. - Top - End - #163

AssassinGuy

I guess you have three choices here:

1. Be salty and stop playing
    2. Move on and keep playing
    3. Be Salty and keep playing

Which do you think will lead to you and the others in your group having more fun?
    *This Space Available*

14. - Top - End - #164

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by Easy e View Post
    I guess you have three choices here:

1. Be salty and stop playing
    2. Move on and keep playing
    3. Be Salty and keep playing

Which do you think will lead to you and the others in your group having more fun?
    This misses out option 4, which is to have an out of character conversation with the GM about it and how it impacted the game in the hope that everyone has clear expectations about the game in future.

15. - Top - End - #165
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

This misses out option 4, which is to have an out of character conversation with the GM about it and how it impacted the game in the hope that everyone has clear expectations about the game in future.
    That sounds like option 3 to me.

Lets be real here, player agency or not, the DM did not sign up to run Economics Simulator. Those pumpkins were going to splatter into the reality of the situation eventually anyway. Its pretty telling that nobody has been able to venture any ideas on what the pumpkins were for other than playing a totally different game than the one they actually signed up for.
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

16. - Top - End - #166
    Troll in the Playground

BarbarianGuy

Based on the guidelines presented in the module, there was no reason to make the cart disappear. The cart and pumpkins would also have been pretty much useless to the players, had it remained present (and that shouldn't be surprising to D&D players). Ultimately, it's hard to justify being upset about it, except purely on the principle of "DM shouldn't take stuff away by fiat". We can only guess at the DM's rationale for making it disappear, maybe they have a reasonable in-world justification that isn't obvious from the description of things- but it does seem like a strange thing to do. It wouldn't have hurt anything to let them have a cart of pumpkins, unless the players had some sort of rules cheese planned (that they could accomplish at low level) that nobody here has thought of yet.

17. - Top - End - #167
    Ettin in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Lets be real here, player agency or not, the DM did not sign up to run Economics Simulator. Those pumpkins were going to splatter into the reality of the situation eventually anyway. Its pretty telling that nobody has been able to venture any ideas on what the pumpkins were for other than playing a totally different game than the one they actually signed up for.
    Right, and that's a game alignment issue, and should be handled out of game. Handle meta issues with meta conversations.

This is clearly a case of misaligned expectations. Don't handle those out of game.

The players clearly thought they were going to be in a situation where they could use the pumpkins. They weren't. Lots of people have said they should have known because Ravenloft.... so.... now meta knowledge is supposed to guide you?

And it's not and never has been that bad things can't happen. It's a matter of general expectations - if bandits had come and in a fight the pumpkins were destroyed, I doubt anyone would be salty.

People were upset. If you want to avoid that, you need to understand why. Just saying "they're dumb" or coming up with these strawmen like "what, now GMs have to justify everything" doesn't actually help.

People were likely upset because:

1. Their expectations were undermined (not "my pumpkin empire will work" but "there's normal continuity going on here").
    2. Their plans were thwarted in a way that was complete fiat
    3. The complete fiat way that their plans were thwarted came out of nowhere

You can fix this a bunch of ways:

1. "Hey, guys, this isn't pumpkin tycoon simulator. This is an adventure game. If you want to do an economics simulator, let's talk about it, because that ain't the game I'm running."
    2. Give some ability to react to the mist that gives them some agency.
    3. Foreshadow the mist in some way so that it's not a complete rug-pull.

There's a thing in writing called "plants and payoffs". Often viewed as Chekhov's gun, but it's slightly different. The idea is that if you're going to do something nuts, to make it seem congruous, you need to hint at it earlier. Like, if you're in some kind of gritty realistic setting, and you want a ninja attack, you need to have someone hear a TV report of ninjas attacking or something like that. Then when ninjas attack the main characters, the audience thinks (subconsciously) "oh, yeah, there are ninja attacks, so that makes sense." Ninja attacks in New York normally don't make sense, so if you don't set it up like that, you risk the audience doing a WTF.

Same thing here. It's a WTF that also removed agency.

Does the GM have to do these things? Of course not, but if you want to avoid those kinds of situations, it's helpful to do that level of due diligence, especially given the complete level of fiat most games give the GM. It helps to build trust.

So in this case it's "we're in medieval world, hey, pumpkin trading could be cool as a side thing, lulz. We should probably guard against bandits and stuff like that, as that's stuff that normally occurs. Wait, what? A mist just took everything? Where the heck did that come from?"

What you want is "we're in medieval world, pumpkin trading could be cool. There's legends of mists taking people at random? Wow, would suck if that happened! Oh, it happened to us??? Ugh! Of course it did, man we probably shouldn't have bought those pumpkins knowing that!"

I mean, the second is kind of an ideal situation, but setting up that something outside of normal expectations can happen before laying it on the players can help prevent those moments.
    Last edited by kyoryu; 2022-07-08 at 11:22 AM.
    "Gosh 2D8HP, you are so very correct (and also good looking)"

18. - Top - End - #168

AssassinGuy

Instead of focusing on the GM, as this forum likes to do; perhaps we should focus on the players?

Did they ask anything about the game BEFORE they bought the pumpkins? No, they just asked if it COULD* be done, and did it. They didn't care how it fit into the game the GM was planning. How much did the PCs spend looking for local rumors from NPCs about what was happening in the area? How much did the players ask about the type of game they were going to be playing? PCs have to engage in a game and its premise too and the onus should not always be on the GM. It is a collaborative game after all.

However, it has all ready happened; so the real question is..... do the players want to keep playing Curse of Strahd with the GM or not. If they do, then they need to share their feelings; and be ready to move on and keep playing. If they do not, then they need to be done. Pretty simple really.

* = Let's be honest, if the GM said, "No you should not do that as it doesn't fit the theme of this game." There is still a good chance a player could interpret that poorly and also be salty about it.
    Last edited by Easy e; 2022-07-08 at 12:43 PM.
    *This Space Available*

19. - Top - End - #169
    Ettin in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Easy e View Post
    * = Let's be honest, if the GM said, "No you should not do that as it doesn't fit the theme of this game." There is still a good chance a player could interpret that poorly and also be salty about it.
    It's entirely possible.

But then you're having the conversation you need to have - what is the expectation of the game? What kind of game is it, and what kind of game is it not? That's a player/gm level discussion. And if people really want to play Pumpkin Traders, and the GM doesn't, then it's just not a good fit. And that's okay
    "Gosh 2D8HP, you are so very correct (and also good looking)"

20. - Top - End - #170

I was never about Pumpkin Tycoon, it was always about collecting the pumpkin seeds and scattering them on the ground if they ever came across Strahd.

Spoiler
    Show

21. - Top - End - #171

Flumph

Not quite. If you do it right and everyone listens then saltiness can be remedied.

The DM didn't sign up to run Economics Simulator, but they had their chance to not go down that rabbit hole when the party were trying to sell a gift from a duchess "the man recognises who it is from and says he could not possibly buy it, no-one near here will risk that attention".

He could *also* have tried to fix it gracefully "The people of Barovia are poorer than dirt, they cannot possibly buy this much produce" even if that means the party taking a bath on the pumpkins (but doing so in a naturalistic way not "your stuff disappears at random, do not trust your own character sheet") and maybe making up for it with a small boon later if the players simply gave them away (less valuable than whatever was planned for the necklace).

The DM *had* graceful ways to avoid the mismatch, and graceful ways to get back into harmony with the intent of the module, they did neither, possibly out of haste, and generated salt where none need exist. (and they can fix *that* by just having the players find their cartload of pumpkins abandoned on the road you always find whichever way you walk through the mist. Maybe some of them have been gnawed on.)
    Last edited by GloatingSwine; 2022-07-08 at 05:44 PM.

22. - Top - End - #172

Even if the ridiculous conclusion that people are jumping to about the DM is true, the players also have the opportunity to "gracefully" handle the situation and get over it and move on. Hopefully that is what happened.

23. - Top - End - #173
    Titan in the Playground

the players also have the opportunity to "gracefully" handle the situation and get over it and move on.
    But what about the requirement for outrage?

24. - Top - End - #174

So, there is a good chance I am going to be running a Ravenloft campaign in the near future, and if I do, I am definitely going to put in a subplot about the Dark Powers stealing people's pumpkins as some part of nefarious scheme.

25. - Top - End - #175
    Titan in the Playground

So, there is a good chance I am going to be running a Ravenloft campaign in the near future, and if I do, I am definitely going to put in a subplot about the Dark Powers stealing people's pumpkins as some part of nefarious scheme.
    I'll suggest that the Dark Powers can delegate that to any number of denizens of Barovia; they've got minions to handle their light work.

26. - Top - End - #176

Quote Originally Posted by KorvinStarmast View Post
    I'll suggest that the Dark Powers can delegate that to any number of denizens of Barovia; they've got minions to handle their light work.
    But it’s so nefarious it cannot be trusted to a small yellow humanoid with a variable number of eyes.

27. - Top - End - #177
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Pauly View Post
    But it’s so nefarious it cannot be trusted to a small yellow humanoid with a variable number of eyes.
    It took me a moment to get the movie ref.

28. - Top - End - #178
    Orc in the Playground

Goblin

For reference, this is all the actual module says about getting into Barovia via the creeping fog:

Show

Nothing changes, your possessions are not removed, there are no rules in the module for what you can and can't bring. Just you camp, fog rolls in, welcome to Estalia Barovia gentlemen.
    YMMV, but if a player quoted text from the module I would ask them to leave. Players do not read the module. They do not know what’s in the module. They, as a rule, do not get to know what the DM took license to embellish, improvise, or expand on. The game does not work if the DM blindly follows a book that the players already know front to back, because prewritten books will not adapt to your players.

Barovia is a cursed realm that Strahd has absolute control over. If Strahd wants the mists to separate the adventurers from their cart, that cart is gone. Is it advisable? Probably not, but it is not entirely unjustifiable.
    Last edited by Kvess; 2022-07-13 at 10:22 PM.

29. - Top - End - #179

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by Kvess View Post
    YMMV, but if a player quoted text from the module I would ask them to leave. Players do not read the module. They do not know what’s in the module. They, as a rule, do not get to know what the DM took license to embellish, improvise, or expand on. The game does not work if the DM blindly follows a book that the players already know front to back, because prewritten books will not adapt to your players.

Barovia is a cursed realm that Strahd has absolute control over. If Strahd wants the mists to separate the adventurers from their cart, that cart is gone. Is it advisable? Probably not, but it is not entirely unjustifiable.
    There's no milage here at all. We're not players at this game, we're critiquing decisions from our ivory towers.

And I'm doing that from the doylist perspective. Strahd isn't real, he has no control over anything, the DM is real and does and to me the DM made a bad call here (because they made it too late and should have had to cope with the pumpkin shaped consequences of their previous calls).

30. - Top - End - #180
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kvess View Post

So does that mean that anyone who is a GM themselves is not welcome at your table, because they might have read a module you're planning to run?
    I could understand if it was "my game, my interpretation, if you know the wording, be aware that I might change it." But outright telling them to leave because they are a GM that also wants to play occasionally seems... overly harsh.
    What did the monk say to his dinner?
    Spoiler
    Show
    Out of the frying pan and into the friar!

How would you describe a knife?
    Spoiler
    Show
    Cutting-edge technology