New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #241
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Riverside 22: Better the demon you know?

The Toy Tinker

Jim smiles a little as he remembers his performance with Sticks' bident. "Well, I certainly can't doubt the efficacy of your big gun when it comes to directed energy. Do you have things you wouldn't mind showing Jaahlyn? I know we have some things locked away but I know a wizard doesn't reveal his secrets to just anyone." Jim is being funny but Sticks should be able to tell he's being serious about that being only a question. He wouldn't force him to pull out anything from his locked away basement. Jim knows how reticent Sticks usually is to show stuff from down there.
    "An actual weapon is...unlikely to be helpful. I don't really have training in anything like that." He's had a couple of basic self defense lessons and that's about it.
    Spako Highclaws by Ceika.

[Sorry Boss, but as always, I get the last word.]

2. - Top - End - #242
    Bugbear in the Playground

Down The Rabbit Hole - White

Anastasia doesn't seem to speak up here, though she does raise an eyebrow. Spooky servants to entertain guests was a new one to her - it didn't seem like the usual approach, unless you counted clowns.
    "Are we living a life that is safe from harm? Of course not, we never are. But that's not the right question. The question is: are we living a life that is worth the harm?"
    ~Welcome to Night Vale

Spoiler: Quotes from Friends <3
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by SliiArhem
    Arkh I may be slightly delirious but I don't think that would make sense even if I was coherent.

Interested in the Nexus FFRP setting? Try joining our Discord server!

3. - Top - End - #243

[Down the Rabbit Hole - White]

Siana's reaction is a touch more enthusiastic. As in, she's already clapping at the prospect. Maybe it's just her, but what people around the Nexus seem to think of as "spooky" strike her as sort of neutered... not giving up on the creepy theme entirely, but not actually being the least bit frightening, supplementing an unnatural appearance with some amount of affability. She expects they're about to walk into something resembling a Spooktober party.

So, naturally, when White Pawn gets that door open, she won't be at all hesitant to go inside.
    Last edited by Ironsmith; 2022-07-24 at 08:21 AM.

4. - Top - End - #244
    Ogre in the Playground

[Eew Showers]

"NOT DRESSED!!" Leah shrieks in a shrill tone that is surprisingly high. That's a strange name for a catgirl. Maybe she comes from one of those cultures that names their babies off of random baby things. Like Grabs Fingers or Cries Alot. "Stop staring at me you uncultured wench! Out, OUT, OUT!!" Leah shouts, pointing at the front door and clinging to her various coverings tighter with her other hand, not throwing things at Tahara anymore. Either because Leah now knows it's some kind of person, but more likely because she's run out of easily throwable things and she doesn't want to tear a earthen fist shaped hole in the floor.

Tahara is extremely unlikely to get anything resembling a conversation while Leah feels 'undressed', that much should be clear. Home invasion doesn't help her cause much either.

[Down the Rabbit Hole - Black]

"What tripe," Ilpholin chides, sinuously curving onto her feet as she stands. "Servants that don't know anything are useless and should at least be self-aware enough to not waste our time pretending to be able to answer our questions."

She rates this question and answer service zero out of five spiders and presumes that asking the Black Pawn anything else would be a fruitless endeavor. Instead, she'll stride over to the door the servant wished for them to enter.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Magtok View Post
    Gods, Reinholdt was right, a hundred percent right.
    Spoiler
    Show
    -Nyahahaha~
    Quote Originally Posted by Supagoof View Post
    Tale as old as thread
    And you find yourself dead
    Reinholdt was the Beast
    Quote Originally Posted by Philistine View Post
    Reinholdt had already told the truth once in that post, and therefore was over his annual quota.

5. - Top - End - #245

Eastside - Facing the Music

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowcaller View Post
    [Eastside - Facing the Music]

Anika shrugs. "Ehh, how bad can it be? They already had at least one other bear-cop and it's not like it's going to be forever. Besides, from what I've seen guards mostly stand around giving directions to people which- uh-" The druid taps her chin thoughtfully. "I guess I would need to train on." Anika suddenly turns and points at the catgirl and then Wenomir. "Okay, Blanche, Wenomir, ask me for directions to something." She makes a sweeping gesture at the city around them. "Anything."
    Quote Originally Posted by Morty View Post
    [Eastside - Facing the Music]

Wenomir rubs his forehead tiredly. Blanche's attempt is valiant, but Anika will need to learn on her own what police work is like.

Blanche seems unconvinced, considering her expression barely even changes. "I still don't really understand why you freed Ava in the first place. You were at the concert - you saw the bodies, you knew some of them were because of her. From what I can tell, she was probably the most actively dangerous person in the entire scenario." A beat. "Was there something that... convinced you? Something Ilpholin or one of the guards said to you?"

Blanche's tone could be accusatory or aggressive here, but it isn't - she sounds much more like she's genuinely trying and struggling to understand just what was going through Anika's mind in the event, rather than trying make her girlfriend feel bad about her actions.
    "Are we living a life that is safe from harm? Of course not, we never are. But that's not the right question. The question is: are we living a life that is worth the harm?"
    ~Welcome to Night Vale

Show
    Arkh I may be slightly delirious but I don't think that would make sense even if I was coherent.

6. - Top - End - #246

Anika's expression drops when neither of them gives her a location to give directions to.
    So that's how it was, huh?

It wasn't really about the police-stuff, it was about what was committed.
    She raises her hands and spreads her fingers, displaying her palms before Blanche as she let's out a sigh. "I didn't know-know, y'know? I did saw the bodies, yes. But there was fighting, chaos and- all the usual stuff. So I wasn't sure who had caused it. All I knew for sure was that the goat turned Ava into something since I was there when it happened and it caught my attention. Since in that moment she sure didn't look like the most dangerous person on the scene. She looked as much of a victim as everyone else there and one that couldn't be helped with a regular healing spell. With all the demons fighting one another there at the concert, throwing all sort of crazy magic around, it was hard for me to believe that the one that looked like a regular human was responsible for it all. Like, maybe she was framed or something?" Anika shrugs.

"Or that's what I wanted to believe I guess. That she was somehow innocent. But-" The druid gestures to Blanche. "-that's not all. I mean, she was taken to a hospital to not die, right? Well, you're a healer too. It's our job to make people not-die regardless how terrible they are and believe me, she was gonna die if she stayed like that. I suspected it from the moment I saw it happen and talking to her confirmed not only that she was- uh, not-well mind-wise, but that she would have taken herself out. Like, it was only a matter of time."

Anika pauses for a moment and looks to the skies. "In fact, I think a part of her wanted that to happen when she did all this. To go out like a righteous martyr or whatever. Becoming a demon- or what she believed to be one, kinda tainted all that. So it gave her an excuse to try to do it. End herself, I mean."
    Last edited by Shadowcaller; 2022-07-25 at 02:17 AM.

7. - Top - End - #247
    Ghost in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Gullara View Post
    [Skate Park]

Eliseo look at Ana for a moment, then a grin spreads across his face. "Okay. One sec." He walks back over to the counter with a laugh.
    Quote Originally Posted by Arkhosia View Post
    Skate Park

Oh no. That laugh and that cheeky grin can't mean anything good in this context, Anastasia can only conclude, and she turns even redder as she watches Eliseo head off. Atsede's teasing doesn't help this either.
    Atsede's eyebrow defies all physics as it shoots up even further. Yup. They were actually doing this. Alright. Huh.

She gives a cough, suddenly feeling a little bit more awkward than she had expected, and tried to make idle talk as they waited, all the while subconsciously massaging her bruises. "So. Uh. He's into all kinds of sports. Whatcha into yourself?" She didn't say it, but based on first impressions it was hard to imagine Anastasia as the sporty type.

8. - Top - End - #248

Quote Originally Posted by Reinholdt View Post
    [Eew Showers]

"NOT DRESSED!!" Leah shrieks in a shrill tone that is surprisingly high. That's a strange name for a catgirl. Maybe she comes from one of those cultures that names their babies off of random baby things. Like Grabs Fingers or Cries Alot. "Stop staring at me you uncultured wench! Out, OUT, OUT!!" Leah shouts, pointing at the front door and clinging to her various coverings tighter with her other hand, not throwing things at Tahara anymore. Either because Leah now knows it's some kind of person, but more likely because she's run out of easily throwable things and she doesn't want to tear a earthen fist shaped hole in the floor.

Tahara is extremely unlikely to get anything resembling a conversation while Leah feels 'undressed', that much should be clear. Home invasion doesn't help her cause much either.
    [Eew Showers]

Tahara tilts her head quizzically and smirks. "Lady, if you were any more dressed, you'd be a nun." She giggles lightly and starts toward the front end of the apartment. "But okay. I'll give you a minute to slip into something more comfortable. But if you lock the door on me or something, I swear, I'm coming back in through the vents."

crk-slam

crk-slam

"Sorry! Closet!"

crk-slam
    Last edited by Ironsmith; 2022-07-25 at 01:42 PM.

9. - Top - End - #249
    Firbolg in the Playground

[Down the Rabbit Hole - White]

"A bit frightening?" We'll see about that. There can't be anything at this party scarier than what she deals with all the time, especially if it's just half-hearted entertainment.
    Skye will head through the door right after Siana.
    ~Inner Circle~
    Quote Originally Posted by Raz_Fox View Post
    He takes normality and reason and turns them UP TO 11!
    Quote Originally Posted by Anarion View Post
    Recaiden, stop using your mastery of the English language to confuse the issue.
    Echidna by Serpentine

10. - Top - End - #250

Skate Park

"Oh! Well um, I do a bit of sports too, but I'm definitely not as nuts about it as him." Ana smiles. "I play soccer a lot but I'm definitely not as competitive as him, though I play casually with him and some friends sometimes. Volleyball, basketball... skating now too. I also like to play guitar - mostly just acoustic really, but I think I've gotten pretty good at it! Oh- and uh, sometimes I like, fiddle with locks a bit too, I guess?"

Anastasia talks as if counting each one off in her mind, fairly happy to have her mind off of impending embarrassment. That said, she does look a little self-conscious when she mentions the last bit. I mean, she thought it was cool, but what if Atsede didn't? None of Eliseo's friends ever seemed particularly impressed whenever she got to show that off.
    Last edited by Arkhosia; 2022-07-25 at 03:06 PM.
    ~Welcome to Night Vale

Show

11. - Top - End - #251
    Ghost in the Playground

[Skate Park]

"Soccer? Oh, you mean football, right." Atsede looked a bit surprised. She hadn't expected Ana to play the number of sports that she said, even if just casually. "So you're both guitarists then?" She said with a nod towards Eliseo. "Plan to start a band?" Hmm. Everyone was into guitar it seems. Maybe she'd have to look into playing the drums instead.

The thing Anastasia was most self-conscious about, as it happens, turned out to be the thing that piqued Atsede's interest the most. "Yo, you mean like, pick locks and [stuff]!? That's sick! I wish I could do that." She unslung her bag from her shoulders and unzipped it a little to show Ana several spray cans of paint- and hastily buried a slightly saucy book beneath them. "Imagine what kinda mayhem I could get into with those skills," the changeling said with a wink.
    Last edited by Meowmai; 2022-07-25 at 09:13 PM.

12. - Top - End - #252

[Down the Rabbit Hole - White & Black==> Into the Looking Glass]

White Pawn will enter through the door first and lead her group up a set of stairs while Black Pawn will do the same for her group. At the end of the stars they will find themselves stepping into the middle of an enormous circular room.

But while there's a spectacular dining table set up for them and servants, bunny-people dressed exactly like Black- and White Pawn, what might first draw their attention is actually the room itself.

The walls of it glow like wood that was just set on fire. Constantly shifting between red and yellow like an active flame.
    Its floor and the ceiling on the other hand is actually both made of glass which has been dyed in black and white to make them look two diagonally facing chess boards which seem like mirror images of one another. Since the glass is just clear enough that they can catch their own mirror image if they stare right into the floor or the ceiling.

The servants are divided into two groups of eight, white and black, and their respective guides hurries to join the rest of their team to bow before the guests entering from the two appropriately colored stair.
    They cannot see any signs of the "entertainers" that White Pawn mentioned but at a glass balcony overlooking the room stands a dark skinned elf-looking woman with blazing blue eyes which matches her dress.

Her hair color is split between black and a coppery orange which has been made up into long dreadlocks that descend down her shoulders. Her long pointy ears have been pierced with golden jewelry which also adorns her fingers.

She spreads her arms widely and beams as the two groups enter. "Welcome, welcome, I'm so glad that so many could make it! I am Nye and I will be your host for the evening."

Nye gestures to the white group and then the black group. "But what is a host without her guests? So why don't you start introducing yourself as you take your seat at the table?"

There are exactly seven seats around the table, each one clearly marked with their name carved into the back of the chairs they are supposed to sit on. The one at the right far end of the table is meant for Nye but that does leave one of the chairs on the black side empty and there isn't even a name carved into it.

While its appropriate for white to go first any of the guests can introduce themselves as they take their seat.

13. - Top - End - #253

[Into the Looking Glass]

Siana's enthusiasm diminishes considerably when they get through the doors and she encounters an old, seemingly ubiquitous enemy.

Stairs.

Why did it have to be stairs?!

The strigoi steeks herself and nevertheless follows White Pawn, Ana and Skye as best she can, hiking her (considerably heavy) skirt with one hand and trying to maintain a solid balance in her cane with the other. Unless one of them stops to help her, she's likely to lag behind the rest of the group as she puzzles out the conundrum of getting to the central room with her dignity (and dress; it's not meant to be manipulated like this, and she could very well tear up the skirt this way) intact.

Things don't get much better when they arrive at said room. Siana's not sure whether it's intentional or not, but the blazing walls of this banquet hall remind her entirely too much of the perpetual twilight over her homeland, stirring up some less-than-pleasant memories she would rather have forgotten. She finds herself staring at the ceiling or floor to avoid thinking about such things, which from an outside perspective, is likely to give her the appearance of being either shy or airheaded.

Then there's the small matter of the chairs... which her dress hadn't quite been designed to accommodate. As soon as she sees them, she stifles an inward groan; clearly, the architect, interior decorator, and wardrobe coordinator had been conspiring to make this as unpleasant for her as possible.

Reasoning that she's likely to need more time to mount her chair than anyone else, she moves toward it the moment Nye's introductory speech is done, standing next to hers and she tries to figure out how to sit down in this thing.

A few skirt lifts, careful applications of her cane, and quiet curses later, she's finally in her seat, cane leaned against the side of the chair, hands in her lap, and a polite smile directed at the two new guests.

At first, Ilpholin draws her undivided attention... and why wouldn't she? If Siana's theory about why they're here is correct, she's clearly the biggest competition. The woman seems to have an almost effortless beauty to her, and is certainly going to move with a sort of grace that stands in direct contrast to Siana's inept bumblings. And yet, all the same... she can't helo but admire the woman. Both for the reasons stated, and for a vague sense of awe she can't quite pin on a source...

Her express darkens when she sees who Ilpholin arrives with, though. She's got an immediate dislike for this King in Rags... not only does he seem to exude an equally-vague aura of dread and loathing, he stands as a last-minute refutation of yet another theory as to what they're all doing here, as unless he's a shapeshifter he breaks the previously-established pattern of the guests and returns her to square one of her guesswork.

...All the same, she should probably wait for the other guests to be seated before she actually says anything. It seems only polite. And she should probably loosen her grip on her cane; being overly hostile from the outset isn't going to do her any favors.
    Who're you? ...Don't matter.

Want some rye? 'Course ya do!

Here's to us.
    Who's like us?
    Damn few,
    and they're aaall dead.

*gushes unintelligibly over our cat, Sunshine*

[Nexus characters, grouped by setting:
    Ouroboros: here
    Maesda: here
    Others: here
    ]

14. - Top - End - #254

[Into the Looking Glass]

"Oh! Um, here -" It is, perhaps unsurprisingly, Anastasia who is first to move to Siana's aid, offering a hand or shoulder to help the other teenager as they ascend the stairs. Thankfully, her own dress doesn't seem to give her anywhere near the kind of trouble Siana's does, being much less structured and elaborate.

Her eyes first fall on the dancing colors of the seemingly burning walls, and Siana might note a vague hint of panic as she looks quickly from the walls to the fiery scarf round her shoulders. Did- did the arranger of this event somehow know what had happened that night? No, surely these walls weren't chosen just for her. That would be far too much effort to focus on unnerving her somehow.

Anastasia eventually moves to the table after a glance towards their host, seemingly a little underwhelmed by her first impressions of the woman. She is very pretty, sure, but the foxgirl was expecting someone a bit more out there or grand. Her eyes also move to Ilpholin as she takes a seat beside Siana, the woman similarly drawing a sense of stunned attention - although presumably for very different reasons than her vampiric counterpart that she can't quite explain. I mean, it's not weird to be kind of blown away when someone looks really pretty, right?

The King in Rags, though... whereas Siana responds to him with hostility, Anastasia seems to stiffen in nervous fight. Something about him is like some dreadful specter of violence and death, the head-to-toe armor and cloak giving his presence an even more marked contrast next to the dresses and finery most of the others are wearing.

An unfortunate reaction, considering his chair seems to be on the other side of her.

"Um, hi, I'm Anastasia. A-Anastasia Bellamy. It's, uh, nice to meet you two. The girl offers a wave that's really more like a raise of the hand to greet the remaining two guests, a shy little smile on her lips.
    ~Welcome to Night Vale

Show

15. - Top - End - #255
    Ogre in the Playground

[Eew Showers]

Leah glares at the trash witch all the way out, trying to disguise her hyperventilating panic as raw disgust.

She's much more composed when she finally steps outside fifteen to twenty minutes later wearing clothes that are neither wet nor shower curtains.

Her glare hasn't much let up though, seemingly trying to kill Tahara with her gaze alone. If only she made it into Gorgon school. "What do you want?" At least the catgirl isn't screeching anymore. A marked improvement in their relationship.

[Into the Looking Glass]

Ilpholin's first thought upon arrival is that the walls vaguely remind her of a beating heart. Knowing what little she does about this massive fey, it's entirely possible that's exactly what it is, lavishly dressed up. Well she certainly can't fault the interior decorator.

Her eyes wander over to the other guests. Children? At a party? Were they expected to sip on grape juice while the adults conversed? No... one was a vampire and stood out as such. Unusual for a vampire to possess an ailment, but perhaps she was exposed to the sun too long and narrowly escaped with her life or some such other vampire problem. But she could easily be thousands of years old. Probably not though. Anyone that old wouldn't struggle with their dress so. They'd be used to it. So maybe just a hundred or two instead. Unless the vampire was specifically trying to look weak. A possibility she can't discount.

And the other child was some sort of kitsune? Ilpholin wasn't terribly familiar with the lore, but aren't they are supposed to live nine hundred ninety nine years or something like that? There's a good chance that Anastasia was at least fifty years old. If the theme tonight was lies, then neither of these children could be trusted to be what they appeared. The most honest of the six relevant people here might be the General, whom it takes Ilpholin a moment to recognize. Not exactly a comforting thought.

Then there was the host, having taken on a drow-like appearance much as Ilpholin had. A power play to make the nymph recognize a superior perhaps? Or did Nye appear different to each person based on who was looking at her? Did the little vampire girl see an ancient vampire of olde? Furthermore, the host wanted the guests to introduce themselves. That... felt odd. Most fancy parties she's been to had servants introduce the guests and there certainly were plenty of servants to go around.

Perhaps then, it served another purpose. A glance at the chairs shows only a first name. Was the fey fishing for full names then? Some fey held power over names. Or... no, perhaps it wasn't that it needed to know their name. It's that it needed them to say their name while within its heart in order to fully fall under its sway. It have no effect on the King in Rags, surely, but the rest of them were at risk, even the children she knows probably aren't children and don't need her help but she feels compelled to help them anyways. Their youthful disguises work on her more than she cares to admit.

Besides, the less players in this game under Nye's sway, the more power in her palm when it comes to negotiations or whatever comes next in this carousel of tricks. So when Anastasia begins to introduce herself, Ilpholin quite rudely cuts her off around the time she's starting to say her last name, seeking to drown it out and stop the kitsune from making a mistake. "ANASTASIA! What a lovely name for a lovely girl. It's a true pleasure to meet you," Ilpholin says with a large smile on her face as she sensuously strides over to her chair. "You all would know me best as the Demon Hunter of Riverside," Ilpholin proclaims, making up some alias title for herself on the spot so as to not declare her name aloud. Hopefully, if these guests are all as old and powerful as she suspects, they should all catch on to her intentions and the subtext of her actions. To try and tie it all together, she even looks over at Skye as she sits down. "I believe no introductions are needed General. It is good to see you again. Doing well for yourself I hope?" It's been a long time since they've seen each other.
    Spoiler
    Show
    -Nyahahaha~
    Tale as old as thread
    Reinholdt was the Beast
    Reinholdt had already told the truth once in that post, and therefore was over his annual quota.

16. - Top - End - #256

[Eew Showers]

Leah glares at the trash witch all the way out, trying to disguise her hyperventilating panic as raw disgust.

She's much more composed when she finally steps outside fifteen to twenty minutes later wearing clothes that are neither wet nor shower curtains.

Her glare hasn't much let up though, seemingly trying to kill Tahara with her gaze alone. If only she made it into Gorgon school. "What do you want?" At least the catgirl isn't screeching anymore. A marked improvement in their relationship.
    [Eew Showers]

"The same thing we all want, Leah." The garbage witch clasps her hands together against her cheek, letting out a dreamy sigh. "To be loved."

She lets that stand for a moment before bursting out into a fit of giggles. "Nah, I'm just messing with you." Tahara grabs a half-eaten apple from her side and takes a bite out of it, giving Leah a playful smirk. "I actually just wanted to meet you. One of my little friends here saw what you did with that artist, and it wasn't too hard to put two and two together." She smiles and holds up her hand, where one of the roaches has isolated itself from the swarm and is now resting just above her wrist. "Isn't that right, Rochelle? Who's a cute little buggy girl? It's you! It's you!"

Tahara looks up from her doting on her spy and lowers her hand back to her side. "But yeah, that's about the sum of it. The life of an avatar of purity is kind of rough, you know? People get so attached to all sorts of messed up things, and they're not usually happy about being separated from them. Kinda makes you out to be the bad guy most of the time, see?" She holds out a hand to Leah. "That's why we've got to make a point of sticking together. We're sort of all we've got."
    Last edited by Ironsmith; 2022-07-27 at 09:29 AM.

17. - Top - End - #257
    Titan in the Playground

[Into the Looking Glass]

"You may address me as the King in Rags," the masked figure tells Siana and Anastasia as he takes a seat. There's a trace of amusement in his voice. He can sense their fear with perfect accuracy and it pleases him. It is the appropriate reaction to being in his presence. He has no fear of introducing himself, because the King in Rags isn't his name. Merely his chief title. "What a... curious assemblage."
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Ashen Lilies. Sigatars by Ashen Lilies, Gullara and Purple Eagle.
    Interested in the Nexus FFRP setting? See our Discord server.

18. - Top - End - #258

Quote Originally Posted by Meowmai View Post
    [Skate Park]

"Soccer? Oh, you mean football, right." Atsede looked a bit surprised. She hadn't expected Ana to play the number of sports that she said, even if just casually. "So you're both guitarists then?" She said with a nod towards Eliseo. "Plan to start a band?" Hmm. Everyone was into guitar it seems. Maybe she'd have to look into playing the drums instead.

The thing Anastasia was most self-conscious about, as it happens, turned out to be the thing that piqued Atsede's interest the most. "Yo, you mean like, pick locks and [stuff]!? That's sick! I wish I could do that." She unslung her bag from her shoulders and unzipped it a little to show Ana several spray cans of paint- and hastily buried a slightly saucy book beneath them. "Imagine what kinda mayhem I could get into with those skills," the changeling said with a wink.
    Skate Park

Anastasia giggles. ”Probably not, no. I mean, like, I’ve played to earn money before, so I’m not unused to an audience, but - band life sounds uh, waaaayy to stressful and dramatic, yknow?” A beat.”Though uh - Eliseo and I play together sometimes, yeah. It’s pretty fun. He uh, actually asked me out that way.” There’s that little blush again.

Hearing Atsede’s enthusiasm though, Anastasia’s eyebrows raise, blushing a tinge more from the flattery. “Aww, you think so? I’ve always thought it was pretty cool too but, like, not everyone’s impressed, yknow? It’s pretty cool though, something about being able to puzzle out how to crack open things - it feels really rewarding.”

The teen raises an eyebrow when she sees the inside of Atsede’s backpack, but seems a touch more interested in the book than the rattle cans. “Ooh, is that any good?” she asks, tilting her head to try and make out the title. Something about ladies at court?
    ~Welcome to Night Vale

Show

19. - Top - End - #259

[Into the Looking Glass]

And the walls burning like that, such splendid shifting colors. How long has it been since she's actually been surrounded by burning wood like this? And more than the walls, the floor. This would be a particularly eerie environment for a certain other potential guest...lucky that the General isn't her.

In each color, eight pawns and three other pieces except...they're missing a guest. One person invited to the black side of the ...board... has chosen not to attend, is that it? Five other servants and entertainers of each color to make a full set. Are the guests to be assigned bishop, knight, and rook? There's a couple problems there...

For one this, look who makes up the other half of the party.

The King in Rags. He has done good work, done the impossible. The ways he's terrorized the city have been a little difficult, but he is doing what he does, and that suits the thing behind the General just fine. The only problem with him being here is that he has a much cooler outfit. That, and he's rather unlike herself and the other guests, so just what does this make of the invitation list? Still, she smiles to see him.

When she sees Ilpholin, the air temperature around her drops ten degrees, and Skye is visibly confused. When was the fire fighting with Ilpholin? Who is this Nadas person she's just now hearing about? Come to think of it, how does this name thing even work? Should a second connection from within the Nexus even have been possible? Is this because of the ponies? And, to get back to the present, what is she going on about with that totally out-of-tone greeting? Ilpholin fits into this elaborately decorated hall more than any of them. Oh. Names. Of course.

"Indeed. You all know who I am."
    Skye gives a little bow to the black guests before taking her seat on the other side of Siana.
    "Things are stable. The children are happy. We've had but little trouble with demons recently, so I suppose I must thank you for a job well done." Leaving aside what's been happening in Eastside recently. So many demons, only one Ilpholin.
    ~Inner Circle~
    Echidna by Serpentine

20. - Top - End - #260

[Into the Looking Glass]

Nye gives a polite applaud once Skye has introduced herself. "Brilliant, then you all know one another." She declares with a grin while spreading her hands wide. "So let's all take a seat and start this off by making a toast for what makes us happy."
    At this point the servants starts to place goblets at each seat, including the empty one for whatever reason.

Now Nye raises her own goblet into a toast. "I'll start by toasting for a brighter future for the people of Riverside and to an end to all misery!"
    It seems like they are expected to make their own kind of toast.

21. - Top - End - #261
    Barbarian in the Playground

Training Teenage Thieves In Two-Handed Troublemaker-Thrashing Techniques

Quote Originally Posted by Ana View Post
    "Y-you sound like you might know somewhere I could learn to really use this thing though? I mean, I don't want to hurt people, but- like, I don't want to just carry this thing around for looks if it's not gonna keep me safe when something happens." A beat. "B-besides, uh, If I can't actually use it, it's not like I deserve to carry the sword around in the first place, huh?" Ana gives a rather self-conscious chuckle, tails waving behind her in a slow, nervous motion.
    "Okay, so my way of fighting is kinda messy, and not really something I'd encourage others to try, but drop by Vigil, say you were invited by Ms. d'Aubigny, who'll pay any fees or sign off on any forms needed, and ask for Wenomir, Calm Reed, or-" Jenette enunciates every name with care, since Ana might have to repeat this information later to a complete stranger. In fact, just to be safe, she takes her wallet out again so she can flash that Riftline pass and let her see exactly how 'Jenette d'Aubigny' is spelled, just in case it comes up on a form or something. She doesn't know if there's actually any paperwork involved in an outsider coming to Vigil to learn how to swing a sword, but better safe than sorry, right?

"I think there's someone named Ambrosia who uses a sword too? I've only talked to Calm Reed, but everyone knows who Wenomir is, and I don't think they'd let Ambrosia there if she was a psycho or something," Jen thinks aloud, a little uncertain how much trust Ana should extend to these people. I mean, if Vigil will let someone like Saint Laz herself join, they can't be that picky, right?
    Quote Originally Posted by RabbitHoleLost View Post
    Magtok's the best
    "You probably found 'How to Survive a Robot Uprising' in the humor section. Let's just hope that is where it belongs."
    -Daniel H. Wilson
    Unhooded Magtok avvie by urodivoi

22. - Top - End - #262

[Into the Looking Glass]

Waitwaitwait.

The best demon hunter in the city? Is that...

Absum's beard, that woman is Ilpholin Xar'cha.

Siana lets out a little squeal when the nymph introduces herself, blushing slightly when she realizes how ridiculous she must look and taking a moment to regain her composure. "Sorry. I'm, um... big fan." She manages, pointedly averting her gaze in an attempt to not come across as overly clingy. Not that she stays that way for long; she keeps glancing over at her for a half second at a time, quietly enthused by the idea of having dinner with one of her newer heroes.

...Less enthused by this King in Rags, whoever he is. Hearing him talk about himself just sends all sorts of alarm bells off in her head, though with the number of times that's happened and come to nothing, maybe she should give him the benefit of the doubt...

She doesn't have much to say until the goblets are handed out; gushing over Ilpholin seems like an awkward night for everyone, and she can't really focus on anything else while the possibility is there. At least, not until Nye starts reminding her of that intriguing last line of their invitations. That seems to bring her back to earth.

"...Right." Siana clears her throat and lifts her own goblet, which is filled with a thick, bubbling red liquid that gives off a strong metallic smell. Very clearly at least partly blood, but just as clearly prepared beyond that.

Thankfully, she's relieved of the burden of having to come up with something on the spot, as she has a tradition Maesdan toast in mind, one her uncle used when the occasion called for it.

"To better days, gone by and yet to come."

Here's to us.
    Who's like us?
    Damn few,
    and they're aaall dead.

]

23. - Top - End - #263

[Into the Looking Glass]

Anastasia is effectively startled out of her greeting when Ilpholin speaks up and cuts her off, blinking in confusion. "O-oh, um- thank you." There's a blush on her cheeks as she takes in the compliment, though she looks rather confused for a moment or two until something about Ilpholin sticking only to monikers and epithets clicks. Right, of course. Don't mention your full name to fey, that's kinda fey 101. And it would make sense for their enigmatic host to be fey herself, all things considered. All this is just strange and confusing enough to fit that.

Intent isn't the only thing seems to click in the foxgirl's mind either, as she looks towards Ilpholin again with a sense of recognition and light fear. The Demon Hunter of Riverside? There's a lot of ambivalence Ana feels about this. The invasion of Riverside was terrifying, and the loss of her parents still weighs pretty heavily on her - but recent events with demons in Riverside like what went down with DEATHKISS sound rather Not That, and she's not sure whether to perceive that as the title of a warrior protecting the people from unimaginable brutality, or a rogue vigilante committing hate crimes.

And besides, how can she be sure something like the predatory hungers she suffers wouldn't get her marked as some sort of "demon" or threat, too?

"Yes, it's... nice to meet you all," the fox responds, looking towards the two new guests nervously and reaching out to accept the drink she is given. Siana can probably see and identify the pale yellow contents fairly well as lemonade, complete with a couple small slices - and in turn, Anastasia seems to recognize the key ingredient within Siana's drink all to well with a light shiver. There's something about it the sight that she finds rather uncomfortable, but the strigoi might be able to tell that it's not really her consumption of it that bothers her.

"...To peace and comfort," Anastasia settles on after a moment of deliberation, raising her glass and looking between the rest of the guests as if doing her best to follow their lead. She's not really sure she's ever done a toast before.

HEMA - Helping Educate Misguided Adolescents

"Okay, thank you - I'll do that. I've never been to VIGIL before, but I should be able to find my way there." There's an earnest nod as Anastasia listens closely, taking out a small smartphone with a pink case and jotting down a couple of names and notes whenever something Jenette mentions seems worth recording.

"Well, um, I dunno if I should keep you any more busy, since - y'know, you've probably got like, important VIGIL work to do, but- seriously, I really appreciate it. I mean, folks like us need to look out for each other." The girl smiles as she puts the blade back in its sheath and starts to sling it over her shoulder, moving to politely break away and leave for home. "Thanks again! I'll have to let you know how it goes!"
    ~Welcome to Night Vale

Show

24. - Top - End - #264
    Ghost in the Playground

Skate Park

Anastasia giggles. ”Probably not, no. I mean, like, I’ve played to earn money before, so I’m not unused to an audience, but - band life sounds uh, waaaayy to stressful and dramatic, yknow?” A beat.”Though uh - Eliseo and I play together sometimes, yeah. It’s pretty fun. He uh, actually asked me out that way.” There’s that little blush again.

Hearing Atsede’s enthusiasm though, Anastasia’s eyebrows raise, blushing a tinge more from the flattery. “Aww, you think so? I’ve always thought it was pretty cool too but, like, not everyone’s impressed, yknow? It’s pretty cool though, something about being able to puzzle out how to crack open things - it feels really rewarding.”

The teen raises an eyebrow when she sees the inside of Atsede’s backpack, but seems a touch more interested in the book than the rattle cans. “Ooh, is that any good?” she asks, tilting her head to try and make out the title. Something about ladies at court?
    [Skate Park]

Atsede nodded along. "You gotta be pretty decent then right, to make some money from playing? I reckon if you can do that then you can manage being in a band, and like, y'know, I imagine it doesn't have to be anything serious, but fair." What Anastasia meant when she mentioned how Eliseo asked her out was a little unclear to the changeling. "Wait so like, he asked to play music with you as a date?" She asked.

She hadn't even considered the puzzle aspect as a reason for why Anastasia liked to pick locks. Atsede's mind had entirely leapt to using it as just a tool to cause chaos. But huh, that made sense. She could see how for some people it would just be an entertaining hobby. "Yeah! And, it's like, a skill that most people don't have, so that kinda makes it uniquely cool in a way."

Oh [fudge]. Anastasia saw the book. [Fudge fudge fudge]. Well, it was too late to hide it now, wasn't it? Might as well at least be honest. Atsede bashfully pulled the book up from under the rattlecans to show her. The book was titled 'To Court The Stars Themselves', and had two women on the cover- a starry and glittery woman wrapping her arms around a pretty noble woman in a fine blue dress. "It's uh, about a priestess and a noble in a king's court, meeting each other and uh..." her started to trail off and mumble, which from everything Anastasia had seen of her so far probably seemed a bit uncharacteristic of her. "Well it gets a little spicy... but uh... I read it for the drama! It's really really good okay!" She added. preemptively a bit defensive.

25. - Top - End - #265
    Ogre in the Playground

[Eew Showers]

Ah, well, love is definitely something Leah can understand. She too seeks the day that a man will properly court her and-

Oh. Oh this garbage is just that. Not even being serious about love! And here, Leah was considering changing her opinion on Tahara. She glowers instead. "I'm still not shaking your hand." That hand is filthy! Who knows where it's been? Besides her trash can and her shower drain.

"If cleansing alien influences that wish to control and convert innocents makes me a bad guy, then I guess I'll just be a bad guy," Leah says, not finding anything Tahara says at all relatable. Yet. She's too new to being... whatever she is now to understand that there may be a kernel of truth to Tahara's assertions. Some of them anyways. "And I'm hardly alone." Leah still has her family! And... well she doesn't really have much in the way of friends, exactly, but that's part of the price of time traveling anyways. She does have political connections though! MAD understands the value of removing scantily dressed demons from the public's eye before they taint young children's minds.

Leah crosses her arms in front of her. "So what's this we gotta stick together business? Are you also a..." An Empyrean is the word she doesn't know she's looking for. "... An avatar of purity?" Leah asks, her voice sounding incredulous.

[Into the Looking Glass]

Ilpholin quirks an eyebrow at Siana. A... fan? She's... well she's not met any of those before. Does she even have any? Even at the height of Watchforce, not many people seemed to look upon her kindly. Oh wait. Anika counted as a fan, didn't she? Well that's just enough precedent to suggest that they exist. Honestly, Ilpholin's skeptical, knowing just how many people choose to take offense at her existence and her mission, constantly doing everything they can to get in her way. But she wants to believe it's true. Ilpholin favors Siana with an inclination of her head, acknowledging her proclaimed fandom without drawing undue attention that embarrassing squeak.

Ilpholin has been noticeably absent from reports on the Deathkiss scandal at Wild Mike's. Almost conspicuously so, but maybe it means that Ilpholin is not going to up and turn on Anastasia. After all, Siana's an obvious vampire and she hasn't been staked in the heart yet. Though perhaps Ilpholin is just being polite about it and not murdering Siana in the company of their host. She knows all too well how hard it is to get blood and ashes out of the carpet. Regardless, there's no apparent outward animosity towards anyone here. She even appears comfortable with the King in Rags and the General, both fearsome threats in their own rights.

Things continue to move on to a... toast? No, a circle of toasts. Nye's toast is... specific. A desire for a better Riverside. It would certainly match the invitation that was sent. How true all of that is, is still in question. How exactly did Nye hope to bring out a brighter future for Riverside? Surely not just toasts with... company that is in all aspects questionable. Or was this supposed to be some sort of team building exercise? Yet their designations suggest they were on different teams. Maybe buttering them up before presenting Nye's proposal for a better tomorrow?

Some generic toasts follow before Ilpholin raises her goblet of Spiderbite Wine in a toast, having no intention to actually drink any of it. "To a Nexus devoid of demons."
    Wait, is that lemonade in Ana's cup?
    Last edited by Reinholdt; 2022-07-29 at 03:44 AM.
    Spoiler
    Show
    -Nyahahaha~
    Tale as old as thread
    Reinholdt was the Beast

26. - Top - End - #266

[Eew Showers]

Ah, well, love is definitely something Leah can understand. She too seeks the day that a man will properly court her and-

Oh. Oh this garbage is just that. Not even being serious about love! And here, Leah was considering changing her opinion on Tahara. She glowers instead. "I'm still not shaking your hand." That hand is filthy! Who knows where it's been? Besides her trash can and her shower drain.

"If cleansing alien influences that wish to control and convert innocents makes me a bad guy, then I guess I'll just be a bad guy," Leah says, not finding anything Tahara says at all relatable. Yet. She's too new to being... whatever she is now to understand that there may be a kernel of truth to Tahara's assertions. Some of them anyways. "And I'm hardly alone." Leah still has her family! And... well she doesn't really have much in the way of friends, exactly, but that's part of the price of time traveling anyways. She does have political connections though! MAD understands the value of removing scantily dressed demons from the public's eye before they taint young children's minds.

Leah crosses her arms in front of her. "So what's this we gotta stick together business? Are you also a..." An Empyrean is the word she doesn't know she's looking for. "... An avatar of purity?" Leah asks, her voice sounding incredulous.
    [Eew Showers]

"Finding that hard to believe? I don't blame you." Tahara smirks as her arm disassembles itself and the underlying swarm making up her body reconstitutes with it back in a resting position, quietly reminding Leah of her inhumanity. "You'd probably expect something a little nicer-looking, wouldn't you? Maybe a cherub?" She giggles, as though that brought to mind some sort of inside joke. "Well, egg's on your face. A pure heart is a pure heart, no matter what exterior it has." She taps her sternum, or at least where her sternum would be, for emphasis. "And yeah, just below the surface, I'm not much to look at, either. I'm snarky, not particularly respectful, bit of a clown. Kinda mean at times, if only to make a point. But!" She raises a finger pointedly. "At the end of the day, I'm out here helping people. Setting them free from the drass and waste of their lives, trying to help make them pure." She lets out a sigh and glances to the side. "...Doesn't always work, I'll grant you that, but that's no reason to give up. Then she'd win out for sure..."

The trash witch straightens and smiles, roaches skittering out of her mouth and around the back of her head. "But that's enough about me! I didn't come here to blab on and on with my life story." She smirks and gestures toward Leah. "So, when you say 'not alone', I'm guessing you're talking about those sisters of yours, yeah? Sweet gals, from what I can tell. Not gonna deny that they'll be good support going forward. But... you can never have too many friends, you know?"

Here's to us.
    Who's like us?
    Damn few,
    and they're aaall dead.

]

27. - Top - End - #267
    Titan in the Playground

Blanche seems unconvinced, considering her expression barely even changes. "I still don't really understand why you freed Ava in the first place. You were at the concert - you saw the bodies, you knew some of them were because of her. From what I can tell, she was probably the most actively dangerous person in the entire scenario." A beat. "Was there something that... convinced you? Something Ilpholin or one of the guards said to you?"

Blanche's tone could be accusatory or aggressive here, but it isn't - she sounds much more like she's genuinely trying and struggling to understand just what was going through Anika's mind in the event, rather than trying make her girlfriend feel bad about her actions.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowcaller View Post
    Anika's expression drops when neither of them gives her a location to give directions to.
    So that's how it was, huh?

It wasn't really about the police-stuff, it was about what was committed.
    She raises her hands and spreads her fingers, displaying her palms before Blanche as she let's out a sigh. "I didn't know-know, y'know? I did saw the bodies, yes. But there was fighting, chaos and- all the usual stuff. So I wasn't sure who had caused it. All I knew for sure was that the goat turned Ava into something since I was there when it happened and it caught my attention. Since in that moment she sure didn't look like the most dangerous person on the scene. She looked as much of a victim as everyone else there and one that couldn't be helped with a regular healing spell. With all the demons fighting one another there at the concert, throwing all sort of crazy magic around, it was hard for me to believe that the one that looked like a regular human was responsible for it all. Like, maybe she was framed or something?" Anika shrugs.

"Or that's what I wanted to believe I guess. That she was somehow innocent. But-" The druid gestures to Blanche. "-that's not all. I mean, she was taken to a hospital to not die, right? Well, you're a healer too. It's our job to make people not-die regardless how terrible they are and believe me, she was gonna die if she stayed like that. I suspected it from the moment I saw it happen and talking to her confirmed not only that she was- uh, not-well mind-wise, but that she would have taken herself out. Like, it was only a matter of time."

Anika pauses for a moment and looks to the skies. "In fact, I think a part of her wanted that to happen when she did all this. To go out like a righteous martyr or whatever. Becoming a demon- or what she believed to be one, kinda tainted all that. So it gave her an excuse to try to do it. End herself, I mean."
    "It seems you were far too quick to assume someone fighting against demons was in the right. Which is concerning," Wenomir says bluntly.

[Into the Looking Glass]

The King in Rags doesn't look like he can drink anything with this mask on, but he makes a toast all the same.

"May we all regain what which was taken from us."
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Ashen Lilies. Sigatars by Ashen Lilies, Gullara and Purple Eagle.
    Interested in the Nexus FFRP setting? See our Discord server.

28. - Top - End - #268

It takes a second as Blanche listens respectfully and takes in Anika's story, nodding towards the end as she follows the woman's logic. "I apologize, I shouldn't have assumed the worst - I just... well, I have a lot of baggage around people like that." She shakes her head. "It can be... difficult to properly assess the situation in the heat of the moment sometimes, and I don't blame you for making a faulty assumption about Ava during the chaos. You were probably right to be concerned about the risk of suicide too, but - I think Wenomir is right that you let your own assumptions get in the way during all this, and you needed to take a moment to pause and think through things.

The catgirl holds up her hands. "I don't mean to say that you should not have tried to help her in the first place, just that maybe taking a moment to breathe could have been enough to avert all this. From what I understand, the situation we are dealing with in Riverside is much less cut-and-dry than our previous experiences with diabolic and demonic incursions in the Nexus, and we need to approach matters regarding it with tact and caution." Something that Anika sorely needs to cultivate.
    ~Welcome to Night Vale

Show

29. - Top - End - #269

Anika frowns at Wenomir's assertion and puts her hands on her hips. "Geez, I didn't assume she was in the right, Wen. Weren't you listening? I just wasn't completely sure she had done it and in all that chaos anyone could have really. Doesn't matter though as it wasn't the reason I came to free her."

Then she turns to Blanche with a small sigh. "Yeah, I know. But sometimes you just gotta act, y'know? And right then I felt like I had to take a decision as indecision could have led to awful things. It was probably the wrong one though but sometimes you make mistakes, right?" The druid taps her chin thoughtfully. "But while we're here and trying to correct mistakes... maybe we should actually find out what happened back there? Since MERC was all over that place- that goat was even working for them!"

A beat.

"So- uh, maybe we should talk to them? Then I could also explain why I there so there are no misunderstands, y'know?"

30. - Top - End - #270

[Into the Looking Glass]

Nye's toast may as well be waving a red flag. Thinking back on all the things the General did seeking an end to all misery - that's a goal to be had only at incredible price. The brighter future is hopefully metaphorical, for Westside's sake.

Siana's toast is extremely normal. Despite what she said to Ilpholin, most days gone by were better than these, thanks mostly to people now gone themselves. But it remains hopeful.

Anastasia's is...fine. She seems pretty nervous about this, so she can be forgiven a basic toast over unimportant things.

And then Ilpholin's and the King's are nakedly self-serving. As only befits their driving ambition. Though for the General to regain what was taken from her would require a lot of necromancy, some political upheaval, and a literal miracle or two. Perhaps the past should stay in the past...

Finally Skye lifts her own glass, containing some fruity, unbearably sweet liqueur, and offers, "To find what we truly desire."
    Then they can all drink. Well, except the king in his mask. And Ilpholin too worried to sample the fare.
    Then the White-side guests can drink.
    Last edited by Recaiden; 2022-07-29 at 03:15 PM.
    ~Inner Circle~
    Echidna by Serpentine