New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #271
    Halfling in the Playground

Default Re: Riverside 22: Better the demon you know?

[The Toy Tinker]

"She can be present for the entire process if she wishes, I suppose," says Sticks. "And, well, the fact is that a weapon is one of the more useful foci when dealing with directing harmful forces. Whether or not you are actually very skilled with it. My bident, for example, is a weapon by itself. But the intent of the item's making helps to shape the power directed through the object. So it really depends what sort of defense you intend for yourself."
    My avatar was done by Gullara. Thanks again!

"If you meet a spirit walking,
    Incline your head.
    Do not meet their gaze.
    Do not follow after."

-Things Our Mothers Tell Us

Nexus Characters

2. - Top - End - #272
    Ogre in the Playground

The Toy Tinker

Jim seems embarrassed. “Well, I mostly just use the flash if something menacing shows up. I’ve practiced with the searing beam but I only ever really used it that one time. So I guess that’s my go-to. What would be a good focus for that? Something long, like your bident?” he asks.
    Spako Highclaws by Ceika.

[Sorry Boss, but as always, I get the last word.]

3. - Top - End - #273
    Titan in the Playground

[Eastside - Facing the Music]

Wenomir shrugs. He's still very uncomfortable with this situation. Dealing with PR is something he'll never get used to.

"Clearing the air with MERC can't hurt. They didn't come out of this looking very good either, so they're dealing with problems of their own."
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Ashen Lilies. Sigatars by Ashen Lilies, Gullara and Purple Eagle.
    Interested in the Nexus FFRP setting? See our Discord server.

4. - Top - End - #274
    Bugbear in the Playground

[Into the Looking Glass]

Nye takes a sip from her glass as the others make their toasts and then resumes smiling at her guests. "Now that the celebrations have formally begun I'm sure that you have plenty of questions for me. However, while I will try to do my best answering them there are some, such as the reason why you were on the guest list, that I will only discuss in private with the relevant individual. Since each one of you were invited for a different reason that made me interested in you." She gestures to the white side of the table and then to the black.

"But! Questions! Do you have any for me right now?"

[The Toy Tinker]

"I very much would like to, sir. Magic have always fascinated me." One might even say its the reason she was still alive. "Maybe I could even help with something? I'm quite talented in other forms of, ah, magic actually."

5. - Top - End - #275

Skate Park

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Meowmai View Post
    [Skate Park]

Atsede nodded along. "You gotta be pretty decent then right, to make some money from playing? I reckon if you can do that then you can manage being in a band, and like, y'know, I imagine it doesn't have to be anything serious, but fair." What Anastasia meant when she mentioned how Eliseo asked her out was a little unclear to the changeling. "Wait so like, he asked to play music with you as a date?" She asked.

She hadn't even considered the puzzle aspect as a reason for why Anastasia liked to pick locks. Atsede's mind had entirely leapt to using it as just a tool to cause chaos. But huh, that made sense. She could see how for some people it would just be an entertaining hobby. "Yeah! And, it's like, a skill that most people don't have, so that kinda makes it uniquely cool in a way."

Oh [fudge]. Anastasia saw the book. [Fudge fudge fudge]. Well, it was too late to hide it now, wasn't it? Might as well at least be honest. Atsede bashfully pulled the book up from under the rattlecans to show her. The book was titled 'To Court The Stars Themselves', and had two women on the cover- a starry and glittery woman wrapping her arms around a pretty noble woman in a fine blue dress. "It's uh, about a priestess and a noble in a king's court, meeting each other and uh..." her started to trail off and mumble, which from everything Anastasia had seen of her so far probably seemed a bit uncharacteristic of her. "Well it gets a little spicy... but uh... I read it for the drama! It's really really good okay!" She added. preemptively a bit defensive.

"Heh, I guess - you're probably right, I just worry that there'd be like, a lot of stress lugging band gear around. Making it to places on time, playing in front of potentially hundreds of people, that kind of thing." Ana shrugs, not entirely sure. Maybe Atsede's right, and she shouldn't doubt herself so much - though she doesn't get a chance to comment on these thoughts before the next question comes up.

"Oh, no," Anastasia laughs. "I mean he like, played me a song as a way of asking me out. It was... okay, I guess it was a lil cheesy, honestly - but it was cute!" Truly tailored for his target audience, it seems.

The teenager leans forward in interest to better peer at the book's cover, nodding along as Atsede explains the story to her. There's a moment where she doesn't quite understand what the changeling means by "spicy", until a faint blush creeps into her cheeks. "O-oh. Well uh, that sounds pretty cool! I mean, like, a good story is a good story, y'know? E-even if you have to skip through a couple parts sometimes." She smiles. "I uh, actually kinda like romance novels. They can be really sweet sometimes. And you don't expect them to be so... I guess like, gripping, next to more actiony stuff."

Blanche quirks an eyebrow, thinking for a second, before glancing between Wenomir and Anika. "How much do we know concretely of MERC's involvement that night? I understand they were providing security of a form? It would be smart to touch base. More intel never hurts - and besides, there seem to be a lot of hearsay and rumors flying around. As a large peacekeeping organization with a reputation for combating devils and such, it's probably worth making sure they know we haven't bought into the more extreme ones."

The catgirl shrugs. "Y'know - let them know that it's not like we're going to bust down their door accusing them of being in league with vile demons or anything."

- - - Updated - - -

[Into the Looking Glass]

After a moment, Anastasia finishes taking a sip from her drink and politely raises her other hand. "Um, yes, well - I mean, I would like to know I was invited specifically in the first place, but - that aside for now, could I ask why we're all here?" A beat. "I mean, why are we having this party in the first place? Like, is there some kind of event we are celebrating specifically? Or uh, some kind of proposal you have that you've gathered us here for?"

The latter would explain why such a select few were apparently hand-picked rather than as part of some large general party, like the big Thanksmas and Spooktober bashes - but while there's a logic she can see looking between the King, Ilpholin and the General, she can't even imagine what anyone would expect from her, least of all to their level of ability.
    Last edited by Arkhosia; 2022-07-31 at 12:30 AM.
    "Are we living a life that is safe from harm? Of course not, we never are. But that's not the right question. The question is: are we living a life that is worth the harm?"
    ~Welcome to Night Vale

Spoiler: Quotes from Friends <3
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by SliiArhem
    Arkh I may be slightly delirious but I don't think that would make sense even if I was coherent.

Interested in the Nexus FFRP setting? Try joining our Discord server!

6. - Top - End - #276

Anika raises her hands in protest to Blanche's suggestion. "Whoa, no way I'd do that. Since I'm kind of like an, uh, enforcer of the law now, right? I can't just go around accusing people of stuff without proof. Especially about demons. That'd be a pretty serious accusation." She nods and gestures to Blanche.

"Like you said, I figured we'd just get their side of the story and, y'know, tell them why I got involved. Explain my actions, etc. etc. Diplomacy stuff."

[Into the Looking Glass]

"Excellent question, so I'm going to answer it right away considering I think you all have it on your lips." Nye gestures to Ana. "It's quite simple really, I just moved to Riverside so I figured that I should get accustomed to the locals and what better way than with some proper festivities? Therefore, I invited the most interesting individuals I could find to a midsummer party. I understand that you don't celebrate that around here so I figured I'd introduce you to it. Since what better occasion to celebrate than when the sun reaches its yearly zenith? Not one I could think of." She chuckles.

"But there is also my mate who I'm trying to introduce to this city. He's been hurt by mortals before so it's difficult for him to commit to a new relationship. If you've ever broken up with someone I'm sure you know what I'm talking about. Not all of you are mortal of course-" She glances to the black side of the table. "-but you're just the kind of people I feel they need to be introduced to. In short, I think you're all neat." Nye makes a dismissive gesture. "And that's about as specific I can get without getting into individual details. "
    Last edited by Shadowcaller; 2022-07-31 at 03:24 AM.

7. - Top - End - #277

[Into the Looking Glass]

Siana frowns. Something about that explanation doesn't stand up to scrutiny. Namely, while she can't be entirely sure how much this applies to everyone else, she certainly isn't a local. She's been to Riverside precisely once before, and with as disastrously as that went, she hadn't planned on coming back, and certainly wouldn't have if not for the invitation.

But again, that seems rather specific to her. Asking why she was the odd one out would go against the spirit of the request for general questions. That would be something to keep in the back of her head for when she had some proper face-to-face time with Nye.

So instead, she chooses another detail to elaborate on.

"What exactly do you mean by your mate committing to a new relationship?" She asks, quietly stifling the slight ping of satisfaction at having her theory semi-confirmed. That seemed like odd phrasing to her if he's just meeting the neighbors.
    Who're you? ...Don't matter.

Want some rye? 'Course ya do!

Here's to us.
    Who's like us?
    Damn few,
    and they're aaall dead.

*gushes unintelligibly over our cat, Sunshine*

[Nexus characters, grouped by setting:
    Ouroboros: here
    Maesda: here
    Others: here
    ]

8. - Top - End - #278
    Ogre in the Playground

[Eew Showers]

"Pfft. Got nothing to do with your looks," Leah dismisses immediately before pointing accusingly at the garbage witch. "You talk a big game, but that's all you've got and I'm not buying. No pure hearted person would walk in on someone and watch them in the shower." Her actions have already landed Tahara firmly in the impure pile! She's in need of a deep cleansing! Admittedly, Leah's definition of pure is pretty narrow. Much more narrow than Tahara's. But surely there's more to purity than just helping people.

"So that's all you wanted from me then? To introduce yourself? Be buddy-buddy?" Leah confirms. Tahara seems greasier than that, like she's got something else to sell the catgirl... or no, wait maybe that's just actual grease.

[Into the Looking Glass]

Ilpholin frowns skeptically.

"And where is your mate?" Late for their own party? Unlikely. Somebody's holding back.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Magtok View Post
    Gods, Reinholdt was right, a hundred percent right.
    Spoiler
    Show
    -Nyahahaha~
    Quote Originally Posted by Supagoof View Post
    Tale as old as thread
    And you find yourself dead
    Reinholdt was the Beast
    Quote Originally Posted by Philistine View Post
    Reinholdt had already told the truth once in that post, and therefore was over his annual quota.

9. - Top - End - #279

[Eew Showers]

Tahara shrugs. "I don't see what the big deal is. You're probably wearing less now than when I walked in on you. And it's not like I was there to peep in the first place." She waves her hand dismissively. "But... basically, yeah. You have any idea how hard it is to make friends in this line of work? Everyone I meet is all 'ulgh'." She sticks out her overly-long tongue for emphasis. "And the feeling is pretty mutual. By the time I'm done with them they want nothing to do with me. So... yeah. Could use a friend."

Her expression drops and she lets out a little sigh. "...Nuts. I've messed that up already, haven't I?" She sighs and shakes her head. "No big deal. You can't win them all. I'll just wait for another avatar of purity to surface... it can't take that long, right?" She perks up slightly and holds up her arm. "And I have plenty of other friends in the meantime. Isn't that right, Rochelle? ...Rochelle? ...Oh, she's dead. Well, she was getting up there." Tahara shrugs and steps away from the door. "Anyway, I should just go. I promise I won't bother you again. And thanks for being so patient with me." She gives Leah a little salute and turns to walk away.

Here's to us.
    Who's like us?
    Damn few,
    and they're aaall dead.

]

10. - Top - End - #280
    Firbolg in the Playground

[Into the Looking Glass]

Is there a 6th guest here after all? Someone nameless and imperceptible on the black side? Is that who this is?

"What is it that makes you an interesting person, Nye? And where did these fine pawns come from?"
    Skye thinks that will do for starting questions.
    ~Inner Circle~
    Quote Originally Posted by Raz_Fox View Post
    He takes normality and reason and turns them UP TO 11!
    Quote Originally Posted by Anarion View Post
    Recaiden, stop using your mastery of the English language to confuse the issue.
    Echidna by Serpentine

11. - Top - End - #281
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Arkhosia View Post
    HEMA - Helping Educate Misguided Adolescents

"Okay, thank you - I'll do that. I've never been to VIGIL before, but I should be able to find my way there." There's an earnest nod as Anastasia listens closely, taking out a small smartphone with a pink case and jotting down a couple of names and notes whenever something Jenette mentions seems worth recording.

"Well, um, I dunno if I should keep you any more busy, since - y'know, you've probably got like, important VIGIL work to do, but- seriously, I really appreciate it. I mean, folks like us need to look out for each other." The girl smiles as she puts the blade back in its sheath and starts to sling it over her shoulder, moving to politely break away and leave for home. "Thanks again! I'll have to let you know how it goes!"
    "Just don't let me catch you again or...whatever, I'm not a cop," Saint Lazarus shrugs, before putting her helmet back into place and slinging her own sword back over her shoulder. Ana's probably heard that tired warning to not get caught again from others before; no need to waste her breath regurgitating some generic authority figure's words. That's not who Jenette is, anyway. It's silly to pretend to be the friendly neighborhood guard when we've never arrested a single person in our entire life.

...what did she mean by 'folks like us,' though? She said her girlfriend was the pickpocket, she never did that sort of thing herself. Something about both being non-humans, maybe? Eh, whatever. No big deal, everything still worked out fine in the end. Back to patrolling and looking for real trouble to swing a sword at.
    Quote Originally Posted by RabbitHoleLost View Post
    Magtok's the best
    "You probably found 'How to Survive a Robot Uprising' in the humor section. Let's just hope that is where it belongs."
    -Daniel H. Wilson
    Unhooded Magtok avvie by urodivoi

12. - Top - End - #282

[Into the Looking Glass]

Nye looks to Ilpholin first. "Oh, they're around-" She gestures vaguely around at... something.
    "-us. Since we're inside of them right now you see. They've been generous enough to grant me this space for these festivities. Specifically to get to known the people of Riverside better." As soon as she mentions this, Nye brings her palms up. "But please don't be alarmed by this. Nothing to be concerned about. You're our guests after all and we're curious about you. See, my mates consciousness is wast. It stretches across a territory as large as this city. Therefore its important to my mate that whenever they decide to settle down has people it can feel a strong connection to. Riverside is the a potential candidate for a new home for them, at my recommendation of course. But they've been hurt before so we have to make sure the people here matches, ah, a certain standards. You are all in a way representative of Riverside here."

Nye gestures at the guests. "But please don't take this as some sort of test. As I said, its nothing different from getting to know the neighbors as mortals would call it." Her hand lingers in Skye's direction.

"As for me, I never claimed to be particularly interesting. But my pawns, well, they are part of a set which has served me, my mate and their other tenders for longer than we have had these mortal designs. Longer than there have been rabbits, humans and even trees. I lend them out on occasion though if you're interested." She winks at the general.

Then she looks at the guests again. "Does that answer your questions?"
    Last edited by Shadowcaller; 2022-08-02 at 05:20 AM.

13. - Top - End - #283

[Into the Looking Glass]

Siana pales slightly as Nye explains that they are, in fact, inside their host, as her immediate thought is that they'd somehow been tricked into offering themselves up as a meal. Though just as quickly, she finds herself working down from the idea; for something as large as the entity, they wouldn't be much more than a short stack of bread crumbs, and it wouldn't make any sense for them to be so choosy as to invite individual crumbs. And they wouldn't be dressed up and served ichor while inside its stomach. No, this seems to be more of a "sentient location" sorf of deal, like a migratory temple or a witch's lair.

And listening to that explanation, suddenly her being odd out makes sense. If they're here as representatives, it would stand to reason that they're all here to represent different things; they're all odd out, in some sense, by design. Siana herself is probably going to be taken as an indication of what sort of people visit Riverside, while the others represent different communities therein.

The vampire gives a little nod and takes another sip from her drink. For the moment, she's satisfied Nye is telling the truth... if still slightly put off by her.

Here's to us.
    Who's like us?
    Damn few,
    and they're aaall dead.

]

14. - Top - End - #284

[Into the Looking Glass]

Siana isn't the only one who looks a little pale at first upon hearing this notion. Anastasa looks around in mild confusion before she truly starts to get it. "Oh, okay. So this is like, some sort of dreamscape then?" It would explain how she ended up here in the first place, and why she has no memory of arriving.

"Anyways, um - well, while I still don't really understand how I belong here, I guess I should be a little honored to have been picked. I hope you two do find a place here in Riverside - it's a great city, even with all of the chaos and commotion that's happened here in the past few years." She smiles. "I guess I'm like, a little biased though. I've lived here all my life." Of course, there are probably a few questions one could raise about how a being with a consciousness that vast could settle down in a city, but they don't occur to the foxgirl in the moment.
    Last edited by Arkhosia; 2022-08-02 at 03:20 PM.
    "Are we living a life that is safe from harm? Of course not, we never are. But that's not the right question. The question is: are we living a life that is worth the harm?"
    ~Welcome to Night Vale

Show
    Arkh I may be slightly delirious but I don't think that would make sense even if I was coherent.

15. - Top - End - #285
    Ogre in the Playground

[Eew Showers]

Leah's ability to conservatively layer is impressive. No doubt a technique stolen from her uncle. So she balks at Tahara's dismissive attitude towards clothing and privacy. But she equally falls for the guilt trap the witch lays.

"Wait..." Leah says, hesitantly. "If you swear to not go into bathrooms while they're in use and knock on the front door like a normal person, then mayyybe we can be friends," Leah offers. Surely an avatar of purity like Tahara is claiming she is would be willing to give up unclean perversions. To be fair, this is a caveat that Leah imposes upon all her friends, not just garbage witches.

[Into the Looking Glass]

So Nye and the Tree were different and not extensions of each other. And it wished to understand Riverside. So the vampire was likely a representative from Malechenar. It explained the General too. Anastasia was just a random citizen then? Maybe from Eastside and their desperately cobbled together democracy. None of that explained the King in Rags' presence though. He didn't live in Riverside at all.

Already the fox tailed girl was actively courting the fey, cordially welcoming them. Ilpholin is less ready to open her arms. The question remains, does Riverside even want these supposed 'neighbors'. Given the venomous smog-like nature of the massive creature she saw, she's not so certain Riverside would really benefit from the brighter tomorrow Nye wants to bring.

"In what way was your mate hurt before? And do they have a name?" Continuing to call them mate feels like one massive set up to the inevitable checkmate at the end of the night.
    Spoiler
    Show
    -Nyahahaha~
    Tale as old as thread
    Reinholdt was the Beast
    Reinholdt had already told the truth once in that post, and therefore was over his annual quota.

16. - Top - End - #286

[Eew Showers]

What guilt trap?

Tahara's eyes light up as Leah extends a tenative offer of friendship. "You... do you mean that?" She asks, shaking slightly. "You're serious, right? You have to tell me right now if you're not serious."

Not that she's going to give Leah that long to get cold feet.

The garbage witch pulls Leah into a hug, bouncing up and down in her shoes. "Eeeeeeee! Thankyouthankyouthankyou!" She squeels delightedly. "It's been so long! I-" She stops and abruptly releases the catgirl, a pair of expended ketchup packets surfacing on her cheeks on a crude imitation of a blush. "...am not someone you wanted a handshake from, much less a hug. S...sorry." She folds her hands neatly in front of her, looking up at Leah with a pair of relfective ceramic shards in her best attempt at puppy eyes.

Here's to us.
    Who's like us?
    Damn few,
    and they're aaall dead.

]

17. - Top - End - #287
    Titan in the Playground

[Into the Looking Glass]

The King, having seen the true shape of this place, isn't surprised. Nor is the idea of a location being part of a being unusual to him. In the Fairest of Lands, the titles of the Gentry could encompass entire castles, dungeons or lavish mansions.

"Curious. I do not dwell in Riverside, even if I visit it sometimes. I wouldn't call myself its representative."

It seems Ilpholin's unvoiced question has occurred to him as well.
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Ashen Lilies. Sigatars by Ashen Lilies, Gullara and Purple Eagle.

18. - Top - End - #288

[Into the Looking Glass]

Longer than there have been trees.
    Well, that's quite something. A length of time incomprehensible to the General, no matter what help she has.
    And why is Nye winking? What could she mean? Surely she doesn't think that- Except- Hmm.
    "I might be."

And yet for all that age, the place they're in, Nye's mate, has been hurt by mortal acts? In a normal way, or some inscrutable spirit manner, is the question. And luckily Ilpholin has already asked it.
    "As for Riverside, it's a unique place. It was the contrasts of the place that drew my student and I here. Inside and Skyside are both too chaotic to ever really change, but here? Things matter. Was that why you recommended it?"
    ~Inner Circle~
    Echidna by Serpentine

19. - Top - End - #289
    Halfling in the Playground

[The Toy Tinker]

"Perhaps a staff, then. Something with a setting at the tip for a secondary component - perhaps a gemstone? Such things usually make excellent focii for directing light and light-based spells. How does that strike you?"

Sticks swivels to look at Jaahlyn. "An extra pair of hands is never out of place. Perhaps to begin with, you could suggest a stone for Jim, or help him to find one?" Sticks raises a slim finger. "The very best thing would be an item that has some significance to the young sorcerer. Better yet: Something of his that can be burnt, mixed with other ash and components, then compressed into a diamond. I'll take care of that part, of course."
    My avatar was done by Gullara. Thanks again!

"If you meet a spirit walking,
    Incline your head.
    Do not meet their gaze.
    Do not follow after."

-Things Our Mothers Tell Us

Nexus Characters

20. - Top - End - #290

[Into the Looking Glass]

Nye covers her mouth and let's out a giggle. "Oh my, so many interesting questions."
    But she then clears her throat and takes on a more serious expression. "Though I'm afraid I can't answer them for my mate-" She gestures into the air. "-so I will let them do it." It isn't clear how that will happen however.

"But I before I let them start, something they wouldn't do for anyone but their guests by the way, I will clarify a few things first." Nye looks to Ana.
    "This isn't a dreamscape dear Ana. Though you'd be forgiven for mistaken it as such since we're actually in the underworld right now. Which is at least metaphysically close to the realm of dreams."

Then she turns to the demon hunter. "Now, while I will let my mate explain how they were hurt I can at least tell you their name, which is Fusago. One of the great seeds of Yu. But they are also commonly known as the 'dragon seed'. Not that I think either of those names will be familiar to you, Ilpholin."

"As for the reason I recommended Riverside, change is indeed one of them. I believe this city have been in some bad spots but can be made better, wouldn't you agree? Though while this relates to you-" Nye points to the King in Rags. "-I'm afraid I can't discuss my reasoning before everyone for the reasons I mentioned earlier. I don't mind explaining myself over a cup of tea in private though if you are curious."

Nye looks over to her guests. "With that said, I will let my mate take over."

She gestures towards the walls which start to produce a white smoke, coming in like vapor and quickly filling the entire room in just a couple of seconds. The servants don't seem concerned at all, even as they no longer can see their own hands. Or anything else for that matter.

They can still move around but as everything disappears from sight they can no longer feel it either. As if they've been transported into a white void. Then within the vapors they can see a sea and on that sea a beautiful tropical island with a great mountain in the middle of it.

There is a tribe of people living on this island in peace. They can hear them chant Fusago's name, seemingly associating it to the mountain. It appears like this people are treating them like a deity, though its impossible to tell exactly what kind of relationship they have as the only word they can recognize is 'Fusago', the rest is a foreign language to them.

Then one day large ships come to the island and the lighting of this vision suggests that these are bad people. Bad people that could have been Ana's ancestors (though they lack tails and have black hair rather than red.) These people come in great numbers and obviously have much more advanced technology.

While at first the relationship with the people of the island and these invaders seem peaceful it seems like the invaders are taking issue with how they are seemingly worshiping a mountain. Showing them the symbols of three dragons as the better alternative to it.

This soon leads violence to erupt between them and they can see the people of the island being killed and taken prisoner. But all of sudden there's a great boom and the can see smoke raising from the mountain which is apparently a volcano. The invaders flee on their ships but not many of the island dwellers are left alive as the majority are taken prisoner or killed.

Finally, they can see those that still remain alive willingly throwing themselves into the volcano to become a part of Fusago just before the volcano erupts. Reducing the once beautiful island to nothing but a barren waste which soon sinks beneath the waves.

Then the vapor quickly retreats back as the vision fades and they can once more see themselves and the great looking glass hall again. "They are still mourning the loss of their people and how they did not act in time to prevent this. Yet I know that they want a new people to attach themselves to." Nye remarks as she looks back at the guests.
    Last edited by Shadowcaller; 2022-08-04 at 09:48 AM.

21. - Top - End - #291

[Into the Looking Glass]

Well, that was a lot to take in. Siana, for one, isn't entirely sure what to make of it. Some form of religious crusade? It feels weird to actually sympathize with the invaders, to some degree... if one were to look into the history of Maesda, there would be a number of similar incidents, only rather than island folk, the recipients were fiendlings, either exterminated or relocated. And they at least had the benefit of worshipping a true deity, one her own people honored, in their own way. But at the same time... presented this way, there's an undeniable wrongness to their actions that sets her on edge, so that when the mist clears and the guests and their hostess can see each other again, she can't seem to quite manage to meet anyone's gaze.

"...May I be excused, missus Tued?" She asks quietly.

Here's to us.
    Who's like us?
    Damn few,
    and they're aaall dead.

]

22. - Top - End - #292

Into the Looking Glass

Anastasia blinks, and then suddenly pales. "T-the underworld?" Wasn't that where- She glances over her shoulder, as if nervous that something might be lurking behind her, but seems to calm down well enough to pay attention afterwards. After all, they were in the vast consciousness of some... "great seed of Yu", which sounds like it would be fairly powerful. They could probably do something if her other self appeared at the party somehow.

As the vision begins, the foxgirl is all too happy to stay seated and watch the events of it respectfully. There seems to be a flash of vague recognition as the seafaring invaders arrive and begin advocating for this symbol of three dragons, however, and she shivers as the vile yet sadly-familiar pattern of history unfolds before them.

There seems to be something on Ana's mind after Nye remarks this, and she starts to open her mouth - but then Siana speaks, and she turns to look towards her with genuine sympathy. She had a few words in mind about how Riverside did always have the downtrodden to protect, but - well, while she doesn't say it, the look Siana gets from her says it all. "Is there anything I can do to help?"
    ~Welcome to Night Vale

Show

23. - Top - End - #293
    Ogre in the Playground

[Eew Showers]

Leah freezes up. Gross gross grossgrossgross. Why couldn't she be a fire bender or water bender? Anything. She'll... she'll have to purify herself. Yes. That. Somehow.

"It's... fine..." Leah says with clenched teeth, removing a banana peel and shivering uncomfortably. "Just... friends need personal space, alright?" Extra if your friend is literal garbage.

[Into the Looking Glass]

So this Fusago is not unlike a diety that failed and is in need of new devotees. The question becomes whether Riverside wants such a protector to begin with. Or if indeed they lose too much in striking such a bargain. Either way, it hardly seemed up to anyone here, except maybe the General and the Malechenar representative. Regardless, the story doesn't move the nymph as much as she imagined it would. Or should.

Ilpholin considers Siana's timidity, as if somehow the vampire were directly responsible for the events. Siana was even older and more powerful than Ilpholin previously believed. But really, excused to where? They're in Fusago's realm. "There's nothing to be gained from turning away from uncomfortable truths," the well dressed drow advises off-hand.

Regardless of Siana's state of mind, Ilpholin has more pressing matters to question and turns her attention to Nye. "And how do you enter the picture? You were not one of the island natives I take it. Furthermore, you persistently insist that Riverside could be 'better', to the point it's almost insulting to Riverside as it is. I wouldn't consider being targeted and withstanding multiple attacks a sign of weakness, so exactly how do you expect to make Riverside better?" Ilpholin needed to know if Nye and Fusago intended to scrub Riverside clean of its demons.
    Last edited by Reinholdt; 2022-08-05 at 03:54 AM.
    Spoiler
    Show
    -Nyahahaha~
    Tale as old as thread
    Reinholdt was the Beast

24. - Top - End - #294

[Eew Showers]

"Well... yeah..." Tahara admits, rubbing at her arm nervously. "...But friends also don't leave friends in the lurch, do they? Give me just a second." The trash witch makes her way back to the garbage can, stopping by the kitchen sink to quickly turn on a stream of cold water, before hopping back to the place most of her body came from, clamping the lid shut behind her.

It's not long before the roaches are out in force again, scurrying along the walls into strategic locations all around Leah.

Tahara's head pokes out of the trash again, giving the catgirl a little wink. "It's been a while since I've done this particular party trick, so I'd, ah, appreciate it if you stayed still-ish and tried not to freak out. You don't want to throw off my aim."

With that, she drops back into the garbage can as the first of many globes of water zooms away from the sink and toward... well, not Leah at first, more just one of the many roach clusters along the walls, but then once it arrives, it quickly changes course to another cluster, whereupon it suddenly becomes clear that Leah is standing directly between them.

spleesh!
    Last edited by Ironsmith; 2022-08-05 at 09:50 AM.

Here's to us.
    Who's like us?
    Damn few,
    and they're aaall dead.

]

25. - Top - End - #295

[Into the Looking Glass]

Smoke surrounds them, and the General is unnerved, moreso by the declaration that this is an extension of the underworld. Hardly a typical place for a party, that! But the rest of her is perfectly at home here.

My, my. What stark reactions the others have to this. No one here is a stranger to violence, except maybe Ana...and this suggests one of her ancestors was from this land of three dragons, before ending up in Riverside. But what of Siana? Was she one of those islanders, taken prisoner and then turned into a vampire far from her home before finally being reunited with her volcano god?

Oh, does Fusago expect her to be all remorseful over her own battles? He'll be disappointed if so. For one thing, conquering and reshaping a land is very different from slaughtering the inhabitants in the name of your dark dragon gods. For another, can she even say it's wrong to slaughter unbelievers in the name of your dragon gods? The world is cold, to be human is to suffer, and to follow the wrong leader is often a fatal mistake. That's just the way of things. Who can say what Fusago isn't showing them, or what truly drove the invaders?

"After his followers lost a war over him, Fusago killed the survivors and destroyed their land? That's what we all saw?" Just want to confirm that.

The nature of the volcanic island is something she wonders about, but in the short term it doesn't make much of a difference.

"Forgive me for saying, that is not a good omen for the future of riverside, even if he wishes for a better outcome."
    ~Inner Circle~
    Echidna by Serpentine

26. - Top - End - #296
    Titan in the Playground

[Into the Looking Glass]

To the King in Rags, this shows the dangers of overly attaching yourself to mortal followers. It gets you tangled up in their wars and scuffles. As Fusago has learned. But it does not appear that the lesson has sunk in, as they're trying to repeat this mistake in Riverside. But what does it mean for Riverside and what does this have to do with him?

27. - Top - End - #297

[Into the Looking Glass]

Nye doesn't look like she was expecting any sort of reaction from them, her own expression completely neutral as she spoke. Whatever emotions Fusago had regarding these events she does not seem to share them despite being so close. Or perhaps she's just hiding them?

Either way, she seem to want to address Ilpholin first as her question seemed the most pressing. "Oh, didn't I answer that question already? Perhaps not. Well, that's one of the reasons I decided to throw party in the first place, see?" She gestures at herself. "I don't know Riverside well enough to have any solutions." Then she gestures to them. "But you do though. But- I'm getting close to breaking my promise here. So needless to say, I think we can all agree that Riverside has problems, yes? But I don't claim to be the outsider with the solutions to these problems. I just hope that I can aid the place that I might soon call home and I hoped to glean some insight into how to do that from you all."

She makes a dismissive gesture. "But with that hopefully answered... no, I am not one of the mortal natives." She giggles at the mere idea of it. "You know my name already, but I am also known as Yu-Tender. Which means I take care of the yu-seeds, it's all in the name, see? Me and my family have dedicated ourselves to one yu-seed each and Fusago is, as I said, my mate. My charge. It's my purpose to take care of them and tend to their needs."

Nye looks to Skye. "As for your question regarding the vision, general, Fusago didn't kill the inhabitants. They choose willingly to join with them rather than endure what was waiting for them. Since while Fusago's eruption had chased them away there were too few of them and they were in too much pain to continue on. I'm also sure their actions were justified by other mortal beliefs. I believe religion is what it's called. But I'm not terribly well-versed in that sort of things. But in the end, with all their people gone my mate choose to bury it rather than risking it falling into the hands of the invaders. So I feel that your interpretation of the vision is a bit unfair. Not that you can't disagree with the actions taken. My mate regards them as a complete failure on their part after all."

Finally, she looks to Ana and Siana. "Yes, I don't feel particularly at home here as its more your domain, isn't it? However, Fusago shields us from the adverse effects the underworld can have on the mind, so there's nothing to worry about." Her hand gestures to the 'vampire'. "Which is why you can feel free to be excuse. You can go anywhere you want without fear, dear Siana. Just tell one of the pawns if you need anything."
    Last edited by Shadowcaller; 2022-08-08 at 06:19 AM.

28. - Top - End - #298

[Into the Looking Glass]

Quote Originally Posted by Ilpholin
    "There's nothing to be gained by turning away from uncomfortable truths."
    The moment she hears the advice, Siana's inclined to agree. Running away and hiding because she didn't like what she saw would be unproductive... or, more importantly, cowardly. But she's already asked if she could leave, and the more she thinks on it, the more inclined she is to follow through on that decision; the Yu-Tender was only going to tell them so much as a group, so if any of them were well and truly going to get down to the bottom of what they were doing here, they'd need to split off eventually, and there's no particular reason why she shouldn't go first.

And... she wouldn't be hiding, exactly. More just processing it on her own. There's nothing wrong with that, is there?

Fortunately for Siana, standing up in her dress is much easier than sitting down was. She gives the Tender a polite little curtsy (an endeavor in of itself, with one functional leg) and makes her way toward a door. Not the one she came in trough; that seems pointless, as she's already seen everything behind it. If she can find one that isn't their black-side counterpart, she'll go through that one instead. She'll also flag down one of the Pawns to accompany her; if there are any more stairs, it'll be useful to have someone to help her up or down them.

Finally, before she steps out entirely, she'll turn back to Ana and give her a little smile. She's fine. Not that she'd object to being accompanied by the foxgirl... they've known each other for less than an hour, but Siana already thinks of her as a friend. But she doesn't need her to.

...Which is an awful lot to try to communicate in a gaze across the room. Dang. She should have said as much while she was still at the table. Oh, well, hindsight's 20/20.

crrrk

Here's to us.
    Who's like us?
    Damn few,
    and they're aaall dead.

]

29. - Top - End - #299

[Into the Looking Glass]

Anastasia shifts uncomfortably. "Um, I'm told it is, yeah, I don't have much... personal experience, though - um, excuse me." The girl breaks off and rises out of her chair herself as Siana takes her leave, glancing back towards Nye awkwardly as if unsure whether to more formally request the ability to leave the table but unwilling to break from her intent.

Siana won't find that a pawn's help is necessary, as by the time she reaches any stairs the foxgirl will surely have caught up to her. "Hey, um- are you okay? You seemed, like, pretty shaken up back there," Anastasia asks, feeling a little out of her depth but finding that her desire to help far outweighs it.
    ~Welcome to Night Vale

Show

30. - Top - End - #300

[Into the Looking Glass]

"...It's nothing." Siana reassures Ana after a moment, forcing a little smile. She's not lying; her initial reaction was impulsive and... not entirely appropriate, really. If she went and confided what was going on in her head to Ana, she expects the response she'd get would be something along the lines of "...seriously?". Plus, it's not even tangentially related to their mutual goal of... well, sorting things out with this party. It'd be a waste of time to delve into it.

...Simultaneously...

"...But what about you? You didn't seem too happy when our host said we were in the underworld. Is... is that a problem?" She asks, stopping and leaning on her cane toward Ana. "Something about being in a cave bothering you?"

That is what they both meant by Underworld, right? Something along the same lines as Underside?

Here's to us.
    Who's like us?
    Damn few,
    and they're aaall dead.

]