New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #211
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Riverside 22: Better the demon you know?

[Eew Showers]

As Leah gets herself cleaned up from the day's events, she's going to find something peculiar happens to her while she's in the shower.

It'll start small...ish. As she's getting cleaned up, the floor of the shower is going to start filling slowly with water... not quickly enough to be much of a problem, but definitely noticeable. The characteristic gurgle of the shower drain dies away into a strangled skrrch, suggesting the issue may be a drainage block of some kind. If she squints, she might even be able to see movement in the water, just inside the drain hole, something tiny and flickering, not quite explained by the water itself.
    Who're you? ...Don't matter.

Want some rye? 'Course ya do!

Here's to us.
    Who's like us?
    Damn few,
    and they're aaall dead.

*gushes unintelligibly over our cat, Sunshine*

[Nexus characters, grouped by setting:
    Ouroboros: here
    Maesda: here
    Others: here
    ]

2. - Top - End - #212
    Orc in the Playground

Beauty from Ashes- Riverbank

"They were taken, they didn't go on their own. Taken by people who came from the sky in a machine with two big windmills on top. I didn't see where it went, can't track the sky, and this is the nearest city to our cave. So now I gotta go to the next closest stinking pit and see if I can find them there." So it's less thinking they were in Riverside and more not knowing where else they might be.

She's going to continue walking past now, heading out of the city and towards her destiny- and hopefully her mate.
    Terrowin Avatar by HappyTurtle. Much thanks!

3. - Top - End - #213
    Titan in the Playground

[Eastside - Facing the Music]

Wenomir wordlessly shakes his head and leads the posse to face the Eastside authorities.

After some time, they all emerge again, without Ava.

"This could have gone a lot worse," Wenomir admits with a sigh. "Cessie or I will need to make a public apology and you'll spend some time working under the orders and supervision from the Eastside law enforcement. We do need to reassure the people that we don't consider ourselves above the law."
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Ashen Lilies. Sigatars by Ashen Lilies, Gullara and Purple Eagle.
    Interested in the Nexus FFRP setting? See our Discord server.

4. - Top - End - #214

Spoiler: Quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Deathkeeper View Post
    The Toy Tinker

Jim's eyes light up. He immediately forgets every other part of the conversation.
    "You think I'm finally ready, Boss? What kind of implement do you think I'm ready for? You've never told me really how they get made."
    Well, he did certainly imply that the bident was made of some exceptionally rare and fancy materials. But not much beyond that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Murkus View Post
    [The Toy Tinker]

"Why don't you prepare yourself first, and inform the two of us when you're ready?" Sticks suggests. "There's no reason to believe we need to rush into this without ensuring we have every advantage first. If it's armor you require, well... I do have some experience with metalwork. And I think I can prepare something suited to defense against magical creatures. This of course would mean I require a bit of time to work."

The tall man inclines his head to Jim, smiling knowingly. "Well, that really depends on you, my boy. I do believe you're ready for nearly any class of arcane implement, no matter the size or complexity. I think perhaps that we ought to focus on the purpose of your personal device."
    Quote Originally Posted by Reinholdt View Post
    [Midnight In Moth Park - The King and Ilpholin]

Ilpholin frowns. Another deception? Possibly. But what could be gained from showing such a morbid image? Why was there poison being spewed? What did this fey truly wish to accomplish? Collecting enemies close or perhaps seeking a way to stifle its own heart?

The apparent drow tsks before continuing towards the entrance, leaving the small spider bot behind, scurrying slightly away on the ground to find some rock to hide under until such a time as it's needed.
    Quote Originally Posted by Morty View Post
    [Midnight In Moth Park - The King and Ilpholin]

How very interesting. The King is indeed familiar with beings so vast that only a part of them can be seen. This might be more rewarding than he anticipated. He follows along towards the entrance with Ilpholin.
    Quote Originally Posted by Recaiden View Post
    [Down the Rabbit Hole - White]

Skye nods to Siana. She believes everything the strigoi is telling her, but cannot much relate it to her own life.
    And they saw her walk; it would be pretty literal leaning at least some of the time. Unless her leg was injured recently, but let's not get lost in multiple levels of hypothetical here.

"Interesting. Even when one's parents are present, unlike ours, it's expected for people to separate and choose their own way as they grow up, including in matters of love. Your parents must have been excellent people."
    Quote Originally Posted by Arkhosia View Post
    Down the Rabbit Hole - White

Anastasia blinks and straightens up a little. "Sorry - I uh, can sorta see where you're coming from, now. It's just, like- yeah, it's very different to what we're used to, like, culturally," the foxgirl responds with a nod towards Skye. She does, however, lightly flinch at what she takes as a reminder of the loss of her first family.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ironsmith View Post

"They were. Are. ...Would have been." Siana replies, correcting herself first in that she doesn't know if her parents are still alive and quietly hoping they are, and then again in that they're not much help to her now.

The strigoi wrestles down a dejected frown and smiles back at Ana. "Yeah, that's about what I gathered." She says with a little shrug. "But I'm glad there are other ways for it all to work out anyway. If I had to rely on my parents for a suitor, the fact that I don't have them in my life now would... not bode well for me." Her smile turns a little more empty. "My uncle is a good man, too, but he's not exactly an expert on matters of love." She snickers a little to herself, taking a moment to imagine her shaggy, lupine uncle enjoying a candlelit dinner with someone and finding the picture hilariously incongruous.

[Midnight In Moth Park - The King and Ilpholin==> Down the Rabbit Hole - Black]

As the two decides to step closer to the tree, closer to what now appears to be an ordinary rabbit hole, the king sees a glimpse of what's behind the glamour once more as the tree suddenly seems to lean forward while stretching out in a way that makes it look more like the neck of some enormous creature than a plant.

The hole, now the creatures maw, opens up at the same time and will swallow them whole.

Ilpholin is spared from all this and will recall the much merciful version of suddenly falling over as she's overcome with a sudden wave of vertigo and then somehow slips down into the rabbit hole despite its tiny size.

Where their memories converge however is falling down a pitch-black pit and waking up in what seems to be a waiting room.

It's rectangular in shape with couches standing along the sides and big armchairs in the corners. In-between these are smaller wooden tables with glass tops. One interesting detail of this room is that decor is only made up of two colors. Coal black and a darker shade of wood brown. The furniture, with the exception for the tables, is black. The floor and walls are brown and the ceiling is black. Then there's a singular black door which seems to be the only exit out of the room.

As the two are still looking around this door opens and a woman with bunny ears steps into the room. Her ears are as black as her hair and almost the same shade of black as the dress she wears. One that clearly designates her as a servant in the eyes of the king.

She bows before the two.
    "Welcome Ilpholin and your majesty. I am Black Pawn. Me and my sisters will try to make sure that you will have as pleasant a evening as possible. If you have questions I will do my best to answer them."

"It will be a quiet affair considering there will only be five of you. But that just means we have been able to tailor it more to your liking. The chefs have prepared individual meals for all of you in fact, based on your acquired taste of course and the band should be able to play all your favorite songs for the night once the ball begins. Other than that the host desires to get to know all of you a little bit better so she's going to ask you quite a few questions no doubt. Don't feel like you're required to answer them however, you're guests after all. The fact that you're here is enough."
    White Pawn explains, nodding to Skye as she finishes.

[The Toy Tinker]

Jaahlyn pauses when Sticks mentions metalwork. She really didn't want to bother Jim's master with that sort of thing when he had his own preparations to make. "I think I can, ah, acquire an older armor, sir. Besides, I'm sure that with Jim's help I won't need a brand new armor." She'd go into how she would feel obligated to pay him in full with money she didn't have yet but this was Jim's moment so she didn't want to get into that now.
    Last edited by Shadowcaller; 2022-07-17 at 08:48 AM.

5. - Top - End - #215

Anastasia startles slightly when White Pawn speaks to the group again, lulled enough by all the pleasant conversation that the exact circumstances of meeting had briefly slipped her focus. "Oh! Um, okay, that's... kinda reassuring to hear, honestly." It sounded like there wouldn't be too much clutter and clamor to deal with, which was how Ana preferred it to be. The more there was going on around her, the worse she tended to be at managing it all.

Still, one thing can't help but tug at the back of her thoughts.

"Do you know... why our host seems to be so, like, interested in all of us? Or uh, is that something for her to tell us when we meet her?" The fox girl shifts nervously. Scrutiny and interest from people she didn't know also wasn't something she was big on.
    "Are we living a life that is safe from harm? Of course not, we never are. But that's not the right question. The question is: are we living a life that is worth the harm?"
    ~Welcome to Night Vale

Spoiler: Quotes from Friends <3
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by SliiArhem
    Arkh I may be slightly delirious but I don't think that would make sense even if I was coherent.

Interested in the Nexus FFRP setting? Try joining our Discord server!

6. - Top - End - #216
    Firbolg in the Playground

Five people, plus their host. That still suggests rather more entertainers than guests. How extravagant.
    "As Ana said. Can- would- How did the host decide on the guest list?" Skye asks.
    It's not about the curses, but it certainly doesn't seem random.

A few natural groups of five guests that include herself spring to mind, but none of them also include Siana and Ana. A group that does include those two is also pretty easy to guess at, but then who are the other two?
    ~Inner Circle~
    Quote Originally Posted by Raz_Fox View Post
    He takes normality and reason and turns them UP TO 11!
    Quote Originally Posted by Anarion View Post
    Recaiden, stop using your mastery of the English language to confuse the issue.
    Echidna by Serpentine

7. - Top - End - #217
    Ogre in the Playground

Skate Park

Anastasia looks up from her phone as Eliseo calls out to her, finishing up a text presumably to one of her other friends. "Oh- yeah, hold on-" she jots a couple more words down before picking up the pace to reach the two as they arrive at the shop.

"Sorry, uh - Aaliyah was asking where that dress you got me was from, and - nevermind, it's not important." She blushes, feeling a little self-conscious in front of Atsede. She was trying to get better about apologizing for things, after all. "And um, strawberry sounds great."

It's only now that the foxgirl notices the goofy smile on Eliseo's face. She looks briefly between them. Did she miss, like, a really good joke?
    Quote Originally Posted by Meowmai View Post
    [Skate Park]

Atsede just chuckles, before turning to face Ana and miming tapping a watch on her wrist. "Yeah, hurry up slowpoke!" Once Ana caught up, she couldn't resist commenting further, "you missed us chatting about how much you were gawking at your boyfriend back there!" She waggled her eyebrows in an exaggerated fashion, before turning to grab her milkshake as it was made.

"Ah, I don't care about that stuff. Act like gross lovebirds around me if you wish," she joked. She had zero experience with any of this kinda stuff though, so she didn't actually know if she'd care about it or not.
    [Skate Park]

"Damn, missed opportunity. We could've been gross freely." Eliseo shakes his head in mock disappointment. "Unless you want me to ask them to change the order?" He looks at Ana. When did it become tease Ana hours?

8. - Top - End - #218

Skate Park

Anastasia blinks, and then feels her cheeks get a little pink. "O-oh. Uh, sorry. I guess I'm a little obvious when I'm into someone, huh?" She chuckles nervously, unsure if she needs to elaborate. From how Atsede spoke it seemed like Eliseo had already covered the bases on what their relationship is. And besides, if it wasn't stated anyways, his follow-up is sure to clear the air on any missed explanations when it causes Ana to stutter and turn red.

"I-I mean, um- s-sure, I guess, if it's not too late?" Anastasia looks a little embarrassed, although the gentle wag of her tail gives her feelings on the idea away. That said, Eliseo might catch that Ana does glance back over to Atsede, genuinely trying to gauge if she would, in fact, be bothered by it. She really seems nervous about scaring this new friend of theirs off, huh?
    "Are we living a life that is safe from harm? Of course not, we never are. But that's not the right question. The question is: are we living a life that is worth the harm?"
    ~Welcome to Night Vale

Show
    Arkh I may be slightly delirious but I don't think that would make sense even if I was coherent.

9. - Top - End - #219
    Barbarian in the Playground

Outfoxed

Quote Originally Posted by Anastasia View Post
    …It's uh, not for sale though,"
    "Uh, it is, actually," Saint Lazarus retorts, her tone casual and easygoing in spite of the suddenly shifting circumstances. We don't want the girl to get too excited and run away. Nice as this sword might be, it'd be more trouble than it's worth to take it from Ana and try to find the original owner, all while trying to find a replacement for her own sword and explain the situation to her superiors in Vigil if someone tries to report her for sword theft.

"I don't want to spend too much time looking for a buyer, though, so if someone can get me Saint Lazarus's Vigil ID card, Riftline pass, MagMart member's card, and...let's say thirty dollars in SkyCoin, I'll give them the sword and go back to my old one," she offers, reciting the contents of the wallet she noticed had gone missing somewhere between the initial bump and the sword exchange moments ago. Well, most of the contents of the wallet. She actually has fifty dollars in SkyCoin in there. I'm not sure if she's forgotten or is hoping the difference will be enough money to keep Ana from pickpocketing anyone else today.
    Quote Originally Posted by RabbitHoleLost View Post
    Magtok's the best
    "You probably found 'How to Survive a Robot Uprising' in the humor section. Let's just hope that is where it belongs."
    -Daniel H. Wilson
    Unhooded Magtok avvie by urodivoi

10. - Top - End - #220
    Ogre in the Playground

[Eew Showers]

Ugh, really? She would have to talk to Rachel about the drainage problem. This was really her purrview, not...

Oh goddesses, are there bugs in there?!

Leah tries not to completely freak out, but definitely purifies the water as it falls in hopes holy water would cleanse the scourge that is unwanted insect filth in the shower drain. "UGGGGGH!!" Gross.

[Down the Rabbit Hole - Black]

Blergh. This is why people need to stay grounded. Air travel was the worst.

Ilpholin looks around at the lavish illusory décor until her attention is drawn by the approaching Black Pawn. The dark elf settles into one of the couches, a slender blue leg crossed over the other as her arm drapes along the back.

"For what purpose have we been summoned?" She asks bluntly.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Magtok View Post
    Gods, Reinholdt was right, a hundred percent right.
    Spoiler
    Show
    -Nyahahaha~
    Quote Originally Posted by Supagoof View Post
    Tale as old as thread
    And you find yourself dead
    Reinholdt was the Beast
    Quote Originally Posted by Philistine View Post
    Reinholdt had already told the truth once in that post, and therefore was over his annual quota.

11. - Top - End - #221

Vulpine Vandal Caught Red-Handed

"I- What?" Anastasia blinks and goes pale. "N-no! Uh - h-hold on, y-yeah I have that for you," she responds in a light panic, the hilt of Jenette's blade hitting the wall behind her with a clattering thunk while the foxgirl spins and starts rummaging in her pockets.

"I-I-I wasn't going to keep it, I was just uh going to see if I could grab it - a-and then like, shout for you like you'd dropped it, but - wait [schist]-" The teen shoves a pale pink leather wallet into the ghoul knight's armored hand, and St Lazarus has just enough time to flip it open and read Anastasia D. Bellamy's full legal name on her Riverside Community High School ID before the girl realizes her mistake, snatches it back and shoves the correct one into the spooky knight's palm.

Ana looks up at Jenette's helmeted visage nervously and shifts from one foot to the other, tail pulled flat and close before she works up the courage to add, "N-now please, um- g-give me my sword back."
    Last edited by Arkhosia; 2022-07-18 at 04:23 AM.
    ~Welcome to Night Vale

Show

12. - Top - End - #222

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowcaller View Post

White Pawn explains, nodding to Skye as she finishes.

Anastasia startles slightly when White Pawn speaks to the group again, lulled enough by all the pleasant conversation that the exact circumstances of meeting had briefly slipped her focus. "Oh! Um, okay, that's... kinda reassuring to hear, honestly." It sounded like there wouldn't be too much clutter and clamor to deal with, which was how Ana preferred it to be. The more there was going on around her, the worse she tended to be at managing it all.

"Do you know... why our host seems to be so, like, interested in all of us? Or uh, is that something for her to tell us when we meet her?" The fox girl shifts nervously. Scrutiny and interest from people she didn't know also wasn't something she was big on.

Five people, plus their host. That still suggests rather more entertainers than guests. How extravagant.
    "As Ana said. Can- would- How did the host decide on the guest list?" Skye asks.

A few natural groups of five guests that include herself spring to mind, but none of them also include Siana and Ana. A group that does include those two is also pretty easy to guess at, but then who are the other two?

At this fresh wave of speculation, Siana once again takes note of the commonalities between the guests, at least the ones she can see. All women, for one. Reasonably attractive women, at that. And since the subject had been in her mind, she also notes, all reasonably-attractive women of marriageable age, at least by her culture's standards. Who were, upon arrival, immediately given flattering courtly attire. And the way miss Pawn said they were all to arrive before the festivities commenced suggested the possibility of some sort of competitive element; if they were just here to be entertained and not compared, there would be no downside to simply letting them come in as they pleased.

"...Huh." Siana quirks her head to the side, wondering if those elements combined in any way but the immediately obvious. Maybe there was some other aspect of this that would run counter to them being part of some sort of bridal pageant? Maybe the invitations? They didn't say anything about that. But then, why would they? They were bizarre enough as-is, their hostess might not want to risk scaring them off.

Siana reaches into her pocket (fumbling for a moment when she realizes it's not where it should be and she has a little satchel-like bag in its place) and pulls out the invitation again, going over every word. "Life requests" made a whole lot more sense now, if she's right about the context. Not much more is stated about their reason for being here, though. Except for this last part: "For the future of Riverside". Perhaps some manner of succession crisis was imminent?

The strigoi shrugs and puts the invitation away. She's stretching. That's all speculation, really. And while the theory certainly strikes her as plausible, it wouldn't be ideal to assume that. Five people made for a shockingly small candidate pool anyway. And it still begged the question of why Owena wasn't here; tradition would dictate she be engaged first. Unless she already was? Siana had been out of the loop for a while...

Of course, knowing her luck, White Pawn is going to explain everything in ten seconds and render all of that guesswork useless anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Reinholdt View Post
    [Eew Showers]

Ugh, really? She would have to talk to Rachel about the drainage problem. This was really her purrview, not...

Oh goddesses, are there bugs in there?!

Leah tries not to completely freak out, but definitely purifies the water as it falls in hopes holy water would cleanse the scourge that is unwanted insect filth in the shower drain. "UGGGGGH!!" Gross.
    [Eew Showers]

Yup. That would do it. Holy water seems quite effective at purging the insects from Leah's shower drain.

In much the same sense one might purge week-old fish.

The drain pops open as thousands of alarmingly-large black roaches pour out of it, furiously scurrying in all directions. Some immediately head for the exit to the shower, swarming any trash cans they can find, while others pool themselves up on the wall, forming a writhing mass of insectile grossness that demands Leah's attention.

Though before long, the bugs separate themselves again, forming into a number of much smaller masses, spaced out regularly and of variable size. They writhe and wiggle into squiggled shapes, forming a bizarre pattern on Leah's shower wall.

Hi there! Reads said pattern.
    Last edited by Ironsmith; 2022-07-18 at 06:37 AM.

13. - Top - End - #223

Quote Originally Posted by Ironsmith View Post

At this fresh wave of speculation, Siana once again takes note of the commonalities between the guests, at least the ones she can see. All women, for one. Reasonably attractive women, at that. And since the subject had been in her mind, she also notes, all reasonably-attractive women of marriageable age, at least by her culture's standards. Who were, upon arrival, immediately given flattering courtly attire. And the way miss Pawn said they were all to arrive before the festivities commenced suggested the possibility of some sort of competitive element; if they were just here to be entertained and not compared, there would be no downside to simply letting them come in as they pleased.

"...Huh." Siana quirks her head to the side, wondering if those elements combined in any way but the immediately obvious. Maybe there was some other aspect of this that would run counter to them being part of some sort of bridal pageant? Maybe the invitations? They didn't say anything about that. But then, why would they? They were bizarre enough as-is, their hostess might not want to risk scaring them off.

Siana reaches into her pocket (fumbling for a moment when she realizes it's not where it should be and she has a little satchel-like bag in its place) and pulls out the invitation again, going over every word. "Life requests" made a whole lot more sense now, if she's right about the context. Not much more is stated about their reason for being here, though. Except for this last part: "For the future of Riverside". Perhaps some manner of succession crisis was imminent?

The strigoi shrugs and puts the invitation away. She's stretching. That's all speculation, really. And while the theory certainly strikes her as plausible, it wouldn't be ideal to assume that. Five people made for a shockingly small candidate pool anyway. And it still begged the question of why Owena wasn't here; tradition would dictate she be engaged first. Unless she already was? Siana had been out of the loop for a while...

Of course, knowing her luck, White Pawn is going to explain everything in ten seconds and render all of that guesswork useless anyway.

[Eew Showers]

Yup. That would do it. Holy water seems quite effective at purging the insects from Leah's shower drain.

In much the same sense one might purge week-old fish.

The drain pops open as thousands of alarmingly-large black roaches pour out of it, furiously scurrying in all directions. Some immediately head for the exit to the shower, swarming any trash cans they can find, while others pool themselves up on the wall, forming a writhing mass of insectile grossness that demands Leah's attention.

Though before long, the bugs separate themselves again, forming into a number of much smaller masses, spaced out regularly and of variable size. They writhe and wiggle into squiggled shapes, forming a bizarre pattern on Leah's shower wall.

Hi there! Reads said pattern.
    Quote Originally Posted by Morty View Post

Wenomir wordlessly shakes his head and leads the posse to face the Eastside authorities.

After some time, they all emerge again, without Ava.

"This could have gone a lot worse," Wenomir admits with a sigh. "Cessie or I will need to make a public apology and you'll spend some time working under the orders and supervision from the Eastside law enforcement. We do need to reassure the people that we don't consider ourselves above the law."

"I'm afraid that's not for me to know as the host hasn't decided to share that information with me. You will have to ask her yourself once you meet her. I can tell you that you seem to have been recommended but not by whom."
    White Pawn smiles apologetically.
    "I hope that at least helped you somewhat. But it does seem like the final guests have arrived now so you will soon be let inside."
    So it looks like Siana's theory hasn't been shot down just yet as White Pawn doesn't seem to know either...

Anika seems relived and takes a deep breath as she exits the town hall.

Then she turns to Blanche and Wenomir and start to walk backwards while addressing them. "See? I told you that I would be able to, uh, do that kind of work, whatever its called. I've already almost worked as a guard y'know? This one time I even stopped this huge prison break all by myself! Even got a cool helmet out of it!"

What she isn't mentioning is that she was a prisoner at said prison and that she had just decided that the other prisoners she shared a cell with deserved to be in there for a bit longer.

And none of them felt like arguing with a bear.

14. - Top - End - #224

"Hm, uh, I see." Anastasia looks a little disappointed with White Pawn's response, but she isn't insistent enough to demand anything further. "Well, at least she'll be able to tell us soon then?"
    ~Welcome to Night Vale

Show

15. - Top - End - #225
    Titan in the Playground

The King in Rags remains standing. Neither the trip nor seeing the true nature of what they entered seems to have perturbed him much. He remains cool and composed as he stands motionlessly.

"And who is out host, exactly?"
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Ashen Lilies. Sigatars by Ashen Lilies, Gullara and Purple Eagle.

16. - Top - End - #226

Siana nods. Oh, good. Other guests are here. She'll hold off on presenting her theory for the moment, as she'll likely just end up repeating herself or quickly having it disproven, and so instead focuses on making sure her dress is presentable. Whether she's right or not, she's still about to make a first impression and it would be a good idea to be looking her best.

Here's to us.
    Who's like us?
    Damn few,
    and they're aaall dead.

]

17. - Top - End - #227
    Ghost in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Gullara View Post
    [Skate Park]

"Damn, missed opportunity. We could've been gross freely." Eliseo shakes his head in mock disappointment. "Unless you want me to ask them to change the order?" He looks at Ana. When did it become tease Ana hours?
    Skate Park

Anastasia blinks, and then feels her cheeks get a little pink. "O-oh. Uh, sorry. I guess I'm a little obvious when I'm into someone, huh?" She chuckles nervously, unsure if she needs to elaborate. From how Atsede spoke it seemed like Eliseo had already covered the bases on what their relationship is. And besides, if it wasn't stated anyways, his follow-up is sure to clear the air on any missed explanations when it causes Ana to stutter and turn red.

"I-I mean, um- s-sure, I guess, if it's not too late?" Anastasia looks a little embarrassed, although the gentle wag of her tail gives her feelings on the idea away. That said, Eliseo might catch that Ana does glance back over to Atsede, genuinely trying to gauge if she would, in fact, be bothered by it. She really seems nervous about scaring this new friend of theirs off, huh?
    [Skate Park]

"Hah, yeah, I guess," Atsede responded to Ana, "you were very obviously staring." Atsede stated this very smugly, in spite of the fact that she had noticed the way Ana looked at her but hadn't pieced together why. I mean, she was just cool as hell right? It was only natural for anyone to stare.

She laughed as she thought Eliseo was joking about the shared milkshake thing, but then her eyebrow raised as Ana responded with what sounded like eagerness. Hang on, these two weren't kidding about that? Damn. The changeling actually had no idea if something like that would be off-putting to her. Whatever. It'd be fine, probably.
    Last edited by Meowmai; 2022-07-19 at 11:57 PM.

18. - Top - End - #228
    Ogre in the Playground

[Eew Showers]

Leah is, understandably, too busy freaking out to stop and read the wall.

When the first bugs come out, she's scrambling out of the shower, ripping the curtain off in the process. It gets wrapped up in the towel she grabs so she's kinda double layered herself, despite the fact that she's wearing clothes and still dripping everywhere anyways. Tiles come up and go flying at the bugs, they come out of the walls to squash the bugs, the sink literally gets pulled out to get smoosh the bugs. There is just a flurry of earth bending, rock dropping, bug smashing, catgirl screaming activity that ends with Leah barreling into the next room, knocking the door nearly off its hinges in her panic.
    Spoiler
    Show
    -Nyahahaha~
    Tale as old as thread
    Reinholdt was the Beast
    Reinholdt had already told the truth once in that post, and therefore was over his annual quota.

19. - Top - End - #229

[Eew Showers]

Bang!

Crash!

Slam!

Well. There's going to be no using that bathroom after this. And while Leah's roach-smashing is undoubtedly gratuitous, the insects are known for their durability, and there are quite a few of them, so in all likelihood she still left behind some number of survivors.

And then there's the small matter of the part of the swarm that already left the room.

"Wow. You do not like my little friends, do you?"

The source of the voice appears to be a newspaper stuck halfway up the wall, the wriggling roaches underneath it running over each other such that they collectively resemble a human face; a young teenage girl, by the look of it. Her eyes appear to be made from two mashes of congealed grease and the seeds of rotten fruit, and yet they still do a good job of fixing Leah with a disapproving look.

"You know, I'm really glad I brought spares, because otherwise I'd just be a talking head for this whole conversation. Oh wait."

Here's to us.
    Who's like us?
    Damn few,
    and they're aaall dead.

]

20. - Top - End - #230
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Murkus View Post
    [The Toy Tinker]

"Why don't you prepare yourself first, and inform the two of us when you're ready?" Sticks suggests. "There's no reason to believe we need to rush into this without ensuring we have every advantage first. If it's armor you require, well... I do have some experience with metalwork. And I think I can prepare something suited to defense against magical creatures. This of course would mean I require a bit of time to work."

The tall man inclines his head to Jim, smiling knowingly. "Well, that really depends on you, my boy. I do believe you're ready for nearly any class of arcane implement, no matter the size or complexity. I think perhaps that we ought to focus on the purpose of your personal device."
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowcaller View Post
    [The Toy Tinker]

Jaahlyn pauses when Sticks mentions metalwork. She really didn't want to bother Jim's master with that sort of thing when he had his own preparations to make. "I think I can, ah, acquire an older armor, sir. Besides, I'm sure that with Jim's help I won't need a brand new armor." She'd go into how she would feel obligated to pay him in full with money she didn't have yet but this was Jim's moment so she didn't want to get into that now.
    The Toy Tinker

Jim isn't entirely sure what Jaahlyn means about helping her with armor. He's never made anything like that before. He is, however, far too distracted by the prospect of getting his Official Wizard Focus.
    "Well, you know my specialty. And I think you know a lot more about the various kinds of implements than I do. I only really have experience with your staff and my familiar." Jim has always excelled in the illusions Sticks has taught him, and any spell involving light. "For this purpose though I would assume it would have to be something a bit more tuned towards self-defense." Something to help him in a more dangerous situation on an expedition, at least.
    Spako Highclaws by Ceika.

[Sorry Boss, but as always, I get the last word.]

21. - Top - End - #231
    Ogre in the Playground

Skate Park

Quote Originally Posted by Meowmai View Post
    [Skate Park]

"Hah, yeah, I guess," Atsede responded to Ana, "you were very obviously staring." Atsede stated this very smugly, in spite of the fact that she had noticed the way Ana looked at her but hadn't pieced together why. I mean, she was just cool as hell right? It was only natural for anyone to stare.

She laughed as she thought Eliseo was joking about the shared milkshake thing, but then her eyebrow raised as Ana responded with what sounded like eagerness. Hang on, these two weren't kidding about that? Damn. The changeling actually had no idea if something like that would be off-putting to her. Whatever. It'd be fine, probably.
    [Skate Park]

Eliseo look at Ana for a moment, then a grin spreads across his face. "Okay. One sec." He walks back over to the counter with a laugh.

22. - Top - End - #232

Skate Park

Oh no. That laugh and that cheeky grin can't mean anything good in this context, Anastasia can only conclude, and she turns even redder as she watches Eliseo head off. Atsede's teasing doesn't help this either.

- - - Updated - - -

Blanche frowns. "You definitely have the ability, yes, but this is going to be a drastically different role for you than VIGIL. Much more rigid hierarchy, lots of rules to remember, tons of supervision - are you sure you're not... worried about any of that?" It sounds like she certainly is, at least.
    ~Welcome to Night Vale

Show

23. - Top - End - #233
    Barbarian in the Playground

Whoops, Wrong Wallet!

Quote Originally Posted by Ana View Post
    "N-now please, um- g-give me my sword back."
    Jenette holds the sword out, and then pulls it back for a second. She slides her helmet off and lets it fall to the ground so Ana can see her face as she clears her throat and looks the high school girl in the eye.

"Ana, I'm not mad. I just want to make that clear, I'm not mad. No judgment here. I know it's hard out there, and my girlfriend was doing the same sort of thing before I met her. It was about to get her killed in an alleyway, though. A bunch of thugs had cornered her, and I just happened to be passing by, so-" she sighs, and hands the zweihander back at last.

"The next person who catches you won't care why you did it, and your sword and tail stand out in a crowd. It makes it easy to follow you home, or an empty road away from witnesses, or Riverside Community High School. If you aren't already taking lessons for that sword, you should start. Even if you never pick another pocket or borrow a wallet or even shoplift a totally deserving MagMart, it doesn't hurt to be prepared."
    Last edited by Lord Magtok; 2022-07-21 at 06:57 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by RabbitHoleLost View Post
    Magtok's the best
    "You probably found 'How to Survive a Robot Uprising' in the humor section. Let's just hope that is where it belongs."
    -Daniel H. Wilson
    Unhooded Magtok avvie by urodivoi

24. - Top - End - #234
    Halfling in the Playground

[The Toy Tinker]

"As you wish, madam," Sticks says to Jaahlyn. He glances at Jim, smiling knowingly and steepling his long fingers. "As far as the specific type of implement, there are a number of options. An orb, a weapon, a staff, a rod, a wand, a tome, a gauntlet, an amulet... Each one has unique advantages. But you're right - a focus on defending yourself, in lieu of our current predicament, would seem prudent."

"That said, how would you wish to defend yourself? Stun and baffle your foes? Disorient, fascinate, or discombobulate them? Something to allow for expedient escape? Or... Well. Forgive me for saying so, but sometimes a problem presents itself that is entirely insoluble except with the liberal application of direct force. In other words, there are times that one is obligated to choose violence by the realities of a given situation. You have wielded my staff against certain threats. You understand this, I'm sure, my boy."
    My avatar was done by Gullara. Thanks again!

"If you meet a spirit walking,
    Incline your head.
    Do not meet their gaze.
    Do not follow after."

-Things Our Mothers Tell Us

Nexus Characters

25. - Top - End - #235

Lifting Wallets From The Walking Dead

When the helmet clatters to the ground, Jenette might notice the fox girl’s eyes briefly widen as she recognizes what she is. Probably not an unusual reaction in itself - but what might surprise her is the lack of fear in Anastasia’s eyes that accompany it. If anything, there almost seems to be a sense of familiarity or recognition.

"...You're right, I should really be more careful. I'm uh, not especially conspicuous, even if I do have ways of slipping away from people. Kind of wish I had some way to hide this honestly, but uh-" but bags of holding are expensive, and it's also not super practical to unsheathe a 5-foot blade from a small satchel or purse. A weapon this long doesn't just slide out of a sheath very practically, which is why Anastasia's breaks open at the side in the first place.

"Y-you sound like you might know somewhere I could learn to really use this thing though? I mean, I don't want to hurt people, but- like, I don't want to just carry this thing around for looks if it's not gonna keep me safe when something happens." A beat. "B-besides, uh, If I can't actually use it, it's not like I deserve to carry the sword around in the first place, huh?" Ana gives a rather self-conscious chuckle, tails waving behind her in a slow, nervous motion.
    ~Welcome to Night Vale

Show

26. - Top - End - #236
    Ogre in the Playground

[Eew Showers]

The bathroom will be perfectly fine! After a full remodel...

Ah. Leah's discovered something much worse than roaches.

Roaches that watch you bathe.

A freshly shrill scream escapes Leah's mouth, though it's of a slightly different variety. "PERVERT! DEGENERATE! SICKO!" Leah's still throwing things at the talking roach head, though these things largely consist of cushions, pillows, and other random soft grabbable... oh no wait that was a vase. The upside is, her aim is pretty awful right now as her wet clothes and the shower curtain and towel she's still clinging to has restricted her movements and made them incredibly inaccurate.

"Get out of my house you perverse psychopath!" Leah insists, trying to cover herself up more. "Stop violating me with your eyes!"
    Spoiler
    Show
    -Nyahahaha~
    Tale as old as thread
    Reinholdt was the Beast

27. - Top - End - #237

[Eew Showers]

The head lets out a weary sigh as the vase shatters against the wall next to her. Ugh. Why did these heroic types always try to squash her first thing? Do they really hate her that much?

"So mean!" She chortles, slipping back into a more faux-cheery attitude. "But you can relax, lady. I'm not here to hurt you or anything." So could you please return the courtesy? "Give me one second, it really is difficult to talk to you like this." The head drops off the wall as the swarm starts migrating over to the kitchen trash can, a small part breaking off to retrieve what's left of that vase in the process.

A few moments later, the trash can pops open again, the occupant leaping out with a little "ta-da!". Her face has been left more or less the same, but now she's constructed a body for herself using whatever items she could find in there, the liner itself finding new life as a cross-strapped slip-dress. "There we go! So much better." The girl giggles and extends her (filth-covered) hand toward Leah. "Let me try this again. Hi. I'm Tahara. And you are?"

Here's to us.
    Who's like us?
    Damn few,
    and they're aaall dead.

]

28. - Top - End - #238
    Firbolg in the Playground

"Whoever it is really likes their suspense." Skye observes. But now there's nothing to do but wait. Soon the other guests - just two, and not three? how curious - should appear, and maybe the host themselves.
    ~Inner Circle~
    Quote Originally Posted by Raz_Fox View Post
    He takes normality and reason and turns them UP TO 11!
    Quote Originally Posted by Anarion View Post
    Recaiden, stop using your mastery of the English language to confuse the issue.
    Echidna by Serpentine

29. - Top - End - #239

"To partake in an evening of pleasure of course. A brief distraction from the constant strife of existence."
    A beat.
    "Or at least that's what my lady has told me."
    Black Pawn looks to the King in Rags.
    "I believe Nye Tued was the name given, yes? A king like yourself surely understand that royalty rarely shares everything with servants. We are told what we need to know, nothing more, nothing less. Anything else could endanger the order of things. Once you speak to her yourself I'm sure she will give you the privilege of Royalty. One ruler to another."
    She nods respectfully to him.

"But as all guests are here now, I will let you inside unless you have more questions you rather not ask to the host herself?"
    She turns around and puts a hand on the door.

White Pawn smiles to Ana.
    "Indeed, in fact unless you had any other questions for me I'm going to let you inside now."
    She turns away from them and puts her hand on the door. Seemingly giving them all a moment.
    "The other guests will enter from the black room while you will be entering from the white room. Besides us servants there will also be a number of entertainers that will be joining you. They might look a bit frightening since that's what they are supposed to be. It's their way of fascinating guests."
    [The Toy Tinker]

"All of those options sound pretty awesome." Jaahlyn comments as she looks to Jim. "Don't suppose I could get a... preview of them? Since I could probably say what would be most effective if we're fighting fey-critters."

- - - Updated - - -

Blanche frowns. "You definitely have the ability, yes, but this is going to be a drastically different role for you than VIGIL. Much more rigid hierarchy, lots of rules to remember, tons of supervision - are you sure you're not... worried about any of that?" It sounds like she certainly is, at least.

Anika shrugs. "Ehh, how bad can it be? They already had at least one other bear-cop and it's not like it's going to be forever. Besides, from what I've seen guards mostly stand around giving directions to people which- uh-" The druid taps her chin thoughtfully. "I guess I would need to train on." Anika suddenly turns and points at the catgirl and then Wenomir. "Okay, Blanche, Wenomir, ask me for directions to something." She makes a sweeping gesture at the city around them. "Anything."
    Last edited by Shadowcaller; 2022-07-23 at 01:01 PM.

30. - Top - End - #240
    Titan in the Playground

"I suppose there is only so much we can glean from questioning servants," the King agrees.

Wenomir rubs his forehead tiredly. Blanche's attempt is valiant, but Anika will need to learn on her own what police work is like.