New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default If you could bring over 1 3.5 spell that didn't make it to 5e....

A thought I had from another thread...favorite spells that never quite made the transition.

Divine Sacrifice came up in the HP is a resource thread, a favorite Level 1 Paladin spell of mine that trades 2 hp for 1d6 of damage, up to a maximum of 5. (Naturally, this usually means 10 hp for 5d6)

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: If you could bring over 1 3.5 spell that didn't make it to 5e....

Pyrotechnics easily. Love that spell. But wait, they did include it eventually! Just not in the core. Whew
    Something Borrowed - Submission Thread (5e subclass contest)

TeamWork Makes the Dream Work 5e Base Class Submission Thread

3. - Top - End - #3
    Colossus in the Playground

Dark Way was really cool though admittedly a level 2 Force wall (even a small one) was a bit ridiculous on the Cleric list. A proper animation spell like Animate Dread Warrior could also be cool.
    Campaign Journal: Uncovering the Lost World - A Player's Diary in Low-Magic D&D (Latest Update: 8.3.2014)
    Being Bane: A Guide to Barbarians Cracking Small Men - Ever Been Angry?! Then this is for you!
    SRD Averages - An aggregation of all the key stats of all the monster entries on SRD arranged by CR.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Bugbear in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Summon monster. Create a proper summoner from level 1.

True strike: the 1st level spell version, not the garbage that 5e has

5. - Top - End - #5
    Halfling in the Playground

Dimensional Anchor. Needing to stop teleports/plane shifts comes up a lot! (I know dimensional shackles can do some work here, but they're much more rare than a spell.)

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by pragma View Post
    Dimensional Anchor. Needing to stop teleports/plane shifts comes up a lot! (I know dimensional shackles can do some work here, but they're much more rare than a spell.)
    Well somone else already said it, so i guess my second choice would be Ray of Exhaustion or Prismatic Ray.

I like rays.
    Roll for it
    5e Houserules and Homebrew
    Old Extended Signature
    Awesome avatar by Ceika

7. - Top - End - #7
    Firbolg in the Playground

Prayer: In this edition where a +1/-1 can be such a big difference on attacks, damage, Saves and Checks in a 40ft radius, yes please.
    Thankyou to NEOPhyte for the Techpriest Engiseer
    Spoiler
    Show

Current PC's
    Ravia Del'Karro (Magos Biologis Errant)
    Katarina (Ordo Malleus Interrogator)
    Emberly (Fire Elemental former Chef)

Quote Originally Posted by Mike_G View Post
    Just play the character you want to play. Don't feel the need to squeeze every point out of the build.
    Quote Originally Posted by Max_Killjoy View Post
    take this virtual +1.
    Peril Planet

8. - Top - End - #8

Chimera

Gonna sound stupid but whirling blade. It’s stupid I know but it’s a great Gish spell. Attack everyone in a line. Adding weapon attack damage as normal. On a Gish that’s very good, and it could let you get off GWM on a large number of creatures in a single action. Level 2 is probably a bit high for it in 5e though.

Barring that, I’ll be honest, i’m a sucker for divine power. Makes Tenser’s Transformation look like even more of a joke. Persisting that in 3.5 was soooo much fun, and you could have it online around the same time that having 3/4 BAB starts to become obnoxious.

Edit: Ah forget it, spur of the moment, not balanced at all.

Whirling Blade
    Evocation Cantrip
    Casting Time: 1 Action
    Range: Self (60 ft line)
    Components: V, S, M (a melee weapon with which you are proficient)
    Duration: Instantaneous
    Classes: Bard, Sorcerer, Warlock, Wizard

You hurl a a melee weapon in a 30 foot line as it spins striking at anything in it's path. You make a melee attack again the first creature the weapon comes into contact with as well as any one other creature or item within the spells line of effect, if there are any. If no creature in in the spell's line of effect, you can instead attack one or two items of your choice within the spells line of effect. When making a melee weapon attack as part of the spell you make the attack as if you were in a square adjacent to the creature or object being attacked. On a hit the first target creature or object suffers the attack's normal effects while any subsequent targets take damage equal to the weapon's damage die on a hit.

The first target of the spell takes an additional 1d8 damage of the weapon's damage type, and you can make a additional weapon attack against another creature or object within the spells line of effect (two additional targets instead of one) at 5th level. This increases to 2d8 and three additional targets at 11th, and 3d8 and four additional targets at 17th.

Divine Power
    4th level Transmutation
    Casting Time: 1 Bonus Action
    Range: Self
    Components: V, S, M (A copy of the 3.5 phb)
    Duration: 1 minute
    Classes: Cleric & Paladin

You imbue yourself with divine might, bolstering you to unseen heights. For the duration of the spell you gain the following benefits.
    • When you take the attack action, you can attack twice instead of once
    • Your weapon attack deal an additional 1d8 radiant damage
    • You can use your spellcasting ability modifier instead of your strength or dexterity modifier for all attack rolls, ability checks, and saving throws that would normally use either of those modifiers
    • You gain 1d6 + your spellcasting ability modifier temporary hit points at the start of each turn

At the end of the spells duration, any wizard who has ever cast haste or tensers transformation and can see you takes 1d6 psychic damage.

At Higher Levels: When you cast the spell with a spell slot of 5th or 6th level, the duration becomes 10 minutes, when you cast the spell with a spell slot of 7th or 8th level it's duration becomes 1 hour, when you cast this spell with a spell slot of 9th level it's duration becomes 8 hours. Additionally when you cast the spell with a spell slot of 6th, 7th, or 8th level you can make three attacks instead of two when taking the attack action. When you cast the spell with a spell slot of 9th level, you can make four attacks instead of three. The psychic damage dealt by the spell to wizards, as well as the temporary hit points gained each turn, also increases by 1d6 per level of spell slot used over 4th.
    Last edited by Jervis; 2022-06-10 at 11:18 PM.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Orc in the Playground

WhiteWizardGirl

Glitterdust
    2nd level conjuration
    Casting time: 1 action
    Range: 100 ft.
    Area: creatures and objects within a 10 foot radius spread
    Duration: 1 round/level
    Saving Throw: wisdom negates (blinding only)
    Classes: Bard, Sorcerer, Wizard, Warlock

A cloud of golden particles covers everyone and everything in the area, causing creatures to become blinded and visibly outlining invisible things for the duration of the spell. All within the area are covered by the dust, which cannot be removed and continues to sparkle until it fades.

Any creature covered by the dust takes a -40 penalty on Hide checks.
    Last edited by Ogre Mage; 2022-06-11 at 02:51 AM.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Barbarian in the Playground

Celerity. Yeah, I know, busted and all. Still, combo enabler, cool moments and you need to at least think a bit before using it even if it is very powerful.

If it's too much, then the other thing immediately coming to mind is wings of flurry. Sorcerers could use some exclusive spells of their own, and that's one of my favorites, both a strong blast and very thematic.
    Last edited by Chaos Jackal; 2022-06-11 at 02:56 AM.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Dwarf in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Serious answer: Dimensional Anchor.

Silly answer: Shivering Touch. Killing dragons is just so much tedious work in this edition, without it.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Titan in the Playground

Okay so Dimensional Anchor has come up a few times now, I should probably put forward what I use as a port for it:

Dimensional Anchor
    3rd-level Abjuration
    Casting Time: 1 Bonus Action
    Range: 120 feet
    Components: S, M (a small lead weight)
    Duration: Concentration, up to 1 minute

You attempt to lock one creature you can see to the plane they are currently on. The target must make a Charisma saving throw or be anchored until the spell ends.
    An anchored creature cannot teleport or be transported to another plane, such as by using the Blink or Plane Shift spells.
    At Higher Levels: When you cast this spell using a spell slot of 4th level or higher, you can target one additional creature for each slot level above 3rd.
    Roll for it
    5e Houserules and Homebrew
    Old Extended Signature
    Awesome avatar by Ceika

13. - Top - End - #13
    Titan in the Playground

Rainbow Blast

An AOE that does 5d6 damage where each d6 is a different damage type, fire, lightning, acid, cold, sonic (thunder in 5E). The die increases as you gain levels 5d8, 5d10, 5d12.

That wouldn't work right in 5E. Maybe as a 3rd level spell that does 8d4 increasing the die per level increase. 8d6 as a 4th level spell, 8d8 as a 5th level spell, 8d10 as a 6th level spell, 8d12 as an 7th level spell, 8d20 as an 8th level spell. Caster has choice of making it a 20 ft radius spread or 100 ft long 5 ft wide as per Fireball/Lightning Bolt. Two dice do fire damage, two lightning, two cold, two acid. If you feel the lesser damage is worth the cost of changing the area of effect to be more powerful than Fireball I'd be ok with the spell being a 4th level spell to start at 8d6.
    Last edited by Pex; 2022-06-11 at 09:37 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by OvisCaedo View Post
    Rules existing are a dire threat to the divine power of the DM.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Titan in the Playground

Shrink Item. Yes, I know that Enlarge/Reduce can target objects now, but it has much less of a scale factor (1/2 instead of 1/12), and it doesn't have the duration (days, so you can carry a bunch of random equipment with you on an adventure). Plus, things like shrinking treasure so you can haul it out (why, yes, I do want to bring that 10' statue with me), or shrinking obstacles out of your way.

I'd also like the Shadow Conjuration/Shadow Evocation lines, but there, I can at least understand why they weren't ported.
    Time travels in divers paces with divers persons.
    As You Like It, III:ii:328

Chronos's Unalliterative Skillmonkey Guide
    Current Homebrew: 5th edition psionics

15. - Top - End - #15
    Barbarian in the Playground

Wave of Exhaustion.

Strong AoE debuffs just don't exist anymore.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Titan in the Playground

Dimensional Anchor is my serious answer.

Were-doom (a 9th level spell that infects 1d4 random creatures within range a ~400ft radius of the target point with lycanthropy and makes them attack at random) is my joke answer. When would I ever use it? Probably never. It's a book of vile darkness spell, so of course it's stupid.
    DMing:
    Iron Crisis IC | OOC
    Cyre Red IC | OOC

Playing:
    OotA IC | OOC

Master Homebrew Index (5e)

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ogre in the Playground

GnomePirate

Are psionic powers included? If so, astral caravan + astral traveler. Awesome, low level, appropriately difficult planar travel.

If not... Dimensional anchor has been said plenty. Either blood wind or whirling blade for the cool factor.
    Screaming defiance with the last breath

It would be strange indeed if so celestial an article as FREEDOM should not be highly rated.

My judgments and medals!

The Iron Chef Optimization spreadsheet!

Song, Sword, and Sorcery: my 5E homebrew half-caster bard (Version 2.0!)

18. - Top - End - #18
    Dwarf in the Playground

HalflingRangerGuy

When I ran Out of the Abyss I snuck a upgraded Apocalypse from the Sky into the grimoire the party has to steal...

They left it with a Nagpa before the final fight.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Spamalot in the Playground

Magic Fang
    Status
    Overland Flight
    Righteous Thor's Might!
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy
    Ext. Sig (Handbooks/Creations)

20. - Top - End - #20

Chimera

Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    Magic Fang
    Status
    Overland Flight
    Righteous Thor's Might!
    Man overland flight would be amazing. Updated I’d probably just make it 8 hours concentration fly speed of 30 feet, upcast lets you apply it to other creatures. Personally I’d prefer to make it concentration free but people tend to frown on that even with a level 4 spell.
    Native Sha'ir enthusiast. NO GENIE WARLOCK DOESNT COUNT!

Quote Originally Posted by Sparky McDibben View Post
    I am unburdened of my salt, and I rise like a bland-ass potato chip from the ashes of my discontent.
    Rate my homebrew: https://forums.giantitp.com/showsing...&postcount=323

21. - Top - End - #21

DrowGirl

I'd prefer that skill tricks be ported over. Such a good idea. Spellcasters don't need more toys, but rogues and rangers definitely do

22. - Top - End - #22
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Ray of stupidity probably made for my favorite moments. 1d4+1 int damage goes a long way. Ooh, and the upcast could be really nuts in 5e.
    My sig is something witty.

78% of DM's started their first campaign in a tavern. If you're one of the 22% that didn't, copy and paste this into your signature.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Titan in the Playground

Zombie

Was Glassteel still in in 3.5? Because I want Glassteel.
    I am the flush of excitement. The blush on the cheek. I am the Rouge!

24. - Top - End - #24

I always enjoyed mordenkainen’s disjunction.
    Spoiler: I am the
    Show

25. - Top - End - #25
    Orc in the Playground

Thunderlance was lots of fun, although I guess Shadow Dagger is kind of similar.

26. - Top - End - #26

Chimera

Quote Originally Posted by Witty Username View Post
    Ray of stupidity probably made for my favorite moments. 1d4+1 int damage goes a long way. Ooh, and the upcast could be really nuts in 5e.
    Killing a T-Rex with that spell was always hilarious. A certain bad DM I new got so tilted by that spell. That said he also make a optimized Psion designed to drain 3d4 Int drain with a 2nd level power so he had a interesting opinion on game balance.

Quote Originally Posted by Khrysaes View Post
    I always enjoyed mordenkainen’s disjunction.
    I hate that they made that spell destroy items. Meant that loot gets destroyed if you use it and enemies using it against you, in a edition where WBL was assumed, was just mean.

I am unburdened of my salt, and I rise like a bland-ass potato chip from the ashes of my discontent.

27. - Top - End - #27

I kinda miss the elemental orb line, if only for the fact they help enable monotype damage casting savant-style.

Sculpt Sound also kinda sucks to not have, it's really neat.

And c'mon, Avascular Mass? Sure it's evil and 9th level but you literally turn someone into spaghetti, no save. That's a power move unlike any other.
    Sometimes, I have strong opinions on seemingly inconsequential matters.
    Quote Originally Posted by Crisis21 View Post
    Phhase he played four
    He played nick nack on my door
    With a nick nack paddy whack
    Give a dog a bone
    Phhase came rolling home.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ventruenox View Post
    You found a way to backstab... with a ballista...

I want to play at your table.
    Spoiler: How to have a Good Idea
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Yunru View Post
    Buy a lava lamp, it more than doubles the rate of good ideas :p
    Better yet, buy this lava lamp.

28. - Top - End - #28

Chimera

Quote Originally Posted by Phhase View Post
    I kinda miss the elemental orb line, if only for the fact they help enable monotype damage casting savant-style.

Sculpt Sound also kinda sucks to not have, it's really neat.

And c'mon, Avascular Mass? Sure it's evil and 9th level but you literally turn someone into spaghetti, no save. That's a power move unlike any other.
    Hey I’ve never heard of that spell somehow, let’s check it ou- WHAT IN THE HOLY MOTHER OF ALL THAT IS DECENT IS THAT?! Who gave the ok to print that spell?

29. - Top - End - #29
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Jervis View Post
    Hey I’ve never heard of that spell somehow, let’s check it ou- WHAT IN THE HOLY MOTHER OF ALL THAT IS DECENT IS THAT?! Who gave the ok to print that spell?
    Oh, hey, a good candidate for careful spell.
    My sig is something witty.

78% of DM's started their first campaign in a tavern. If you're one of the 22% that didn't, copy and paste this into your signature.

30. - Top - End - #30

Quote Originally Posted by Jervis View Post
    Spaghetti, no save.

I did not stutter.
    Last edited by Phhase; 2022-06-12 at 10:05 PM.
    Sometimes, I have strong opinions on seemingly inconsequential matters.
    Quote Originally Posted by Crisis21 View Post
    Phhase he played four
    He played nick nack on my door
    With a nick nack paddy whack
    Give a dog a bone
    Phhase came rolling home.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ventruenox View Post
    You found a way to backstab... with a ballista...

I want to play at your table.
    Spoiler: How to have a Good Idea
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Yunru View Post
    Buy a lava lamp, it more than doubles the rate of good ideas :p
    Better yet, buy this lava lamp.