A Monster for Every Season: Summer 2
You can get A Monster for Every Season: Summer 2 now at Gumroad
Results 1 to 29 of 29
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    Gwynfrid's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Ontario
    Gender
    Male

    Default Catacombs of Ravenloft

    It all feels like a dream now. Well, a nightmare, rather, a dark, dreary one at first, then more and more scary, escalating to the terrifying conclusion that is sure to come now. The cold fog is what they all remember, from the beginning. What were they all doing in this land named Barovia? Were did they come from? They didn't even know each other. What brought them together? None of them can recall how they got to this place, its constantly overcast sky, its fields with partly harvested, partly rotting crops, its constant atmosphere of dread.

    The village was worse. Blanketed in midst, smothering the streets and marooning the buildings, an archipelago of crumbling masonry in a gray, hopeless sea. Charcoal was thick on the air, but that choking odor couldn't overpower the underlying, sickly sweet smell of carrion and spoilage. Claw marks raked some of the abandoned buildings, others had barricaded doors, windows shuttered and planked. Had anyone been saved? But they didn't have much time to investigate, because the zombie incursion began soon after.

    ... And then, the castle. How they got there, again, wasn't clear in their minds. An elaborate, massive assembly of thick crenelated walls, towers of all heights, crowned with ominous-looking stone gargoyles, statues of vaguely demonic figures, and worse. Yet, they came across the drawbridge, creaking in the wind, the rust-eaten iron cahins straining with the weight. Inside, they found dwellings of haunting and ancient grandeur, all covered in dust, rotting in places. Whispers of dead secrets in the corridors. Traces of a terrible past. And so many, many denizens intent on murder, deadly traps, untold horrors in the dungeons. In so many of these halls, they could have met their end. Yet, they perservered, deeper and deeper into the castle, in a desperate quest for survival.

    Finally, they have come here. The catacombs. The final resting place, inasmuch as they have been able to ascertain, of the last master of Castle Ravenloft - Count Strahd von Zarovich.

    Buried deep beneath the keep of Ravenloft, an arched ceiling sags over squat crypts, forming a maze of catacombs. A thick fog clings to the floor and cobwebs hang limp in the musty air.

    The black ceiling appears to move.



    Spoiler
    Show
    The group came down the stairs shown on the left side of the map. The catacombs are made up of 10-foot-wide arched walkways running between 10-foot-square crypts. The crypt walls and the arches over the walkways support the ceiling, which is 15 feet high throughout the area. The entire place is pitch dark, but four of the characters have ancestral darkivision, and can see the area depicted below. For the two without darkvision, please indicate if you have turned on your Goggles of Night. If not, then please indicate what your source of light is.

    We are presently in exploration mode. Please indicate your current exploration activity. (Edited for correct link)

    Spoiler: Map
    Show


    OOC thread
    Recruitment thread
    Last edited by Gwynfrid; 2022-06-10 at 09:42 PM.

  2. - Top - End - #2
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    RedWizardGuy

    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Location
    UK
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Catacombs of Ravenloft

    Jildu peers around the unpleasant place, holding his glowing staff firmly in front of him.

    Ceilings really should remain still, not that anything in this place seems to care how things should be.

    Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Jildu has the Light cantrip cast on his staff, causing it to shed bright light in a 60-foot radius and dim light for the next 60 feet.
    Oh and he'd have used his Wand of Longstrider by now too, since it lasts 8 hours.
    He's taking the Investigate activity

  3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Goblin

    Join Date
    Jun 2015

    Default Re: Catacombs of Ravenloft

    I prefer no ceiling at all but here we are and hopefully I will see the sands of my lands once more. I'll take a look ahead. eada says.

    This elf has sand colored skin. Wild dark nearly black hair. Sky blue eyes. He wears the garb of an acrobat. Tight but very breathable. Tho he is more on the scrawny side you can see the muscles shift as he moves especially in his legs. Definitely an athlete.

    Spoiler: actions
    Show
    taking the avoid notice action. This may allow me to use stealth instead of perception for innit
    Last edited by zylodrizzt; 2022-06-15 at 08:31 PM.

  4. - Top - End - #4
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Beholder

    Join Date
    Mar 2014

    Default Re: Catacombs of Ravenloft

    It's cramped.. not enough room to stretch in here.. The very small Kluh looks around clearly uncomfortable, falling slightly behind the group.

    It's amazing how he's managed to keep up with several ropes and a sword twice his size in his hand but dragging behind him, the edge chipped and scraped from being drug across various types of rock and earth.

    Spoiler: OoC
    Show

    Kluh will also take the scout action but holding up the rear.

  5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Daemon

    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Catacombs of Ravenloft

    Not wanting to use her goggles just yet, Aleith stays near Jildu‘s staff for light. With her gloomblade drawn and her soft boots moving her in near silence, she creeps along the hall. As she moves, she studies her surroundings, especially the ceiling, calling on her extensive skill set and worldly knowledge to better understand exactly what they are getting into here.

    Spoiler
    Show
    Investigate action

  6. - Top - End - #6
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    Gwynfrid's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Ontario
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Catacombs of Ravenloft

    Aleith looks at the ceiling, and with the help of Jildu's light, she quickly determines the nature of the movements up there. The place teems with bats, their wings black at the deepest recesses of the earth.


    Spoiler: Map corrected for tile size
    Show

    I placed the characters more or less randomly, except for eada who's further out, accounting for the post above. From that position he sees more of the pathways between the crypts. All the crypts have doors, which are closed.

    Last edited by Gwynfrid; 2022-06-16 at 06:12 AM.

  7. - Top - End - #7
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    Nomrom's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Catacombs of Ravenloft

    Moving forward with the others, Razick's eyes peer through the light from Jildu's staff and into the surrounding darkness as well. His careful gaze searches out likely places looking for any secrets the deadly catacombs may conceal.

    Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Razick takes the search action as he travels with the rest of the group.

  8. - Top - End - #8
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    Gwynfrid's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Ontario
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Catacombs of Ravenloft

    The magical light casts eerie, ominous shadows as the companions advance cautiously. Razick's keen senses don't detect any hidden features in the stone walls and arches. Meanwhile, Aleith and Jildu check out engravings on the crypts' doors. The first one on their right reads :

    Patrina Velikovna
    Bride

    That name doesn't mean anything to the adventurers. However, the one on their left does. Freshly carved letters in the stone door mark this as the tomb of

    Aleith Gahrain
    Wife

  9. - Top - End - #9
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    RedWizardGuy

    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Location
    UK
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Catacombs of Ravenloft

    Jildu turns to the woman next to him "So, I'm going to guess you probably weren't married to a woman who shared your name? Perhaps we should open it, anyone good at spotting traps?"
    Last edited by Thunder999; 2022-06-16 at 05:50 PM. Reason: man->woman

  10. - Top - End - #10
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Daemon

    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Catacombs of Ravenloft

    “That’s a lotta bats,” Aleith whispers as she walks up to the eponymous tomb. “No… I certainly haven’t wed, let alone to myself. I am named after my great-grandmother, but she is buried far from here, and not in a crypt.” She frowns at the potential implications, as she withdraws her tools and begins to look for traps.
    Last edited by SanguinePenguin; 2022-06-17 at 12:34 AM.

  11. - Top - End - #11
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    Gwynfrid's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Ontario
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Catacombs of Ravenloft

    While Ser Rychard advances cautiously, his shield at the ready for any unexpected attack, Aleith examines the crypt door for traps, failing to find any. A tense moment passes. Suddenly, a booming voice echoes across the arches, seemingly coming from all directions. It speaks with an aristocratic accent, with barytone intonations that somehow evoke the ancient days of Barovia - while not truly the voice of an old man, it betrays a weariness of the world and the weight of centuries, someone who has seen and caused death countless times. The voice of a dead soul.

    "Why have you come to my demesne? Are you on a quest for your own doom? Did not my castle and its denizens stand as a warning that I do not care for being disturbed in my rest?

    Yet, here you are, among the tombs of my subjects and ancestors.

    Very well.

    You have chosen.

    You are welcome to join me NOW!"


    Spoiler: Entering encounter mode - round 0
    Show
    For simplicity, I will roll all initiatives. The rolls below include a +1 bonus thanks to Kluh's scouting.

    Ser Rychard, Perception (1d20+14)[34]
    Alteith, Perception (1d20+19)[35]
    Kluh, Perception (1d20+16)[17]
    Razick, Perception (1d20+17)[23]
    eada, Stealth (1d20+18)[34]
    Jildu, Perception (1d20+19)[37]
    Enemies (average bonus), Perception (1d20+18)[21]

    A reminder, I use a house rule for group initiative in PbP. The point of this rule is to speed things up in the PbP context. It works like this:
    - Each character has individual initiative, while enemies have initiative as a group (equal to the average of all members).
    - Round 0: The characters with initiative higher than the enemy initiative act; then, the enemies act.
    - Round 1: All characters act; then, the enemies act. Etc.
    - Character actions are resolved in the order of posting. When necessary, you can indicate conditional actions to modify that order: For example, "Berndik waits until Alzobar casts his spell, then he charges the ogre leader; if the leader is down, he charges the closest ogre instead".

    In the present case, everyone except Kluh gets to act in round 0.

    EDIT - note I didn't change the map, but Aleith is in I25 now.
    Last edited by Gwynfrid; 2022-06-21 at 08:54 AM.

  12. - Top - End - #12
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Goblin

    Join Date
    Jun 2015

    Default Re: Catacombs of Ravenloft

    Eada crouches down like a lion ready to pounce. He looks around trying to spot potential threats dagger in hand.

    Spoiler: action
    Show
    he takes the seek action. If it's a free action to drop prone(ish) I'd like to do that since I have kip up. Saving my other two actions for if I see a threat.
    Last edited by zylodrizzt; 2022-06-23 at 05:08 PM.

  13. - Top - End - #13
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    RedWizardGuy

    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Location
    UK
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Catacombs of Ravenloft

    Jildu casts a Shield spell and channels some of the abjurant magic into his staff, sliding into his Arcane Cascade, then approaches the crypt door (or opens it if he's already close enough)

    Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Not much you can do without an enemy in sight, but he's ready.

    Statblock stuff: 118/118 hp, Arcane Cascade stance is providing +2 Force damage on every weapon attack, Shield is giving +1 AC for a total AC of 29. His staff is held in two hands.
    Sheet

  14. - Top - End - #14
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    Gwynfrid's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Ontario
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Catacombs of Ravenloft

    Spoiler
    Show
    (Rolled a secret roll) eada detects nothing in the area in front of him.

    Dropping prone is an action you can take, but not a free action.


    Carefully looking around, eada cannot find any hidden enemy. Jildu assumes a combat stance and moves to the crypt door. From his vantage point, the pathways between the arches remain free of any presence.

    The only trace of activity they can sense is from the bats, shuffling uneasily over their heads.
    Last edited by Gwynfrid; 2022-06-23 at 05:27 PM.

  15. - Top - End - #15
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Goblin

    Join Date
    Jun 2015

    Default Re: Catacombs of Ravenloft

    Eada slows his breathing and shifts his footing taking a stance that allows for great mobility with little effort allowing easy dodges and blocks. He tries to remain undetected.

    Spoiler: finish round 0
    Show
    Go into crane stance with 1 action and stealth again with final action. I now have 1 higher ac

  16. - Top - End - #16
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Daemon

    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Catacombs of Ravenloft

    Aleith twists her lenses to night mode. “Put that light out,” she mutters as she draws up her hood and abruptly vanishes from sight.

    Spoiler
    Show
    1: activate goggles of night - dark vision 1 hour
    2-3: activate cloak of elvenkind - invisibility 2 minute

  17. - Top - End - #17
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    Nomrom's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Catacombs of Ravenloft

    Startled by the voice appearing out of nowhere, Razick quickly thrusts his hand into his pouch of reagents and whips up a potion that he immediately chugs down before peering into the darkness once more to find the source of the voice.

    Spoiler: Actions
    Show
    1st - Quick Alchemy to make a Cat's Eye Elixir
    2nd - Interact to drink the elixir
    3rd - Seek action

  18. - Top - End - #18
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    Gwynfrid's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Ontario
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Catacombs of Ravenloft

    Razick can't be quite sure, but he thinks the echoes originated from the right of the broad pathway facing them. Cautiously, shield at the ready, Ser Rychard moves forward, but he doesn't see any enemies - only shadows of himself and his companions dancing along the cobweb-covered walls.

    The voice rises again.

    "Should you simply accept my embrace, it would be less painful. But it may be that you prefer to perish in a fight.
    I will honor your choice."


    The voice continues, much less distinctly, in undecipherable tones that sound like some spell is being cast. Then, another sound loudly stirs the deathly atmosphere. It is a noise of stone scraping over stone, like a heavy door opening, somewhere among the catacombs, but coming from the direction opposite from the voice...

    Spoiler: end of round 0
    Show
    Actions for Ser Rychard:
    #1 and 2 Move to K26
    #3 Raise shield

    Round 1 begins. All characters' turns, in any order.

    I made the mistake of leaving home without a copy of my plans and tokens, so I had to make a new one that doesn't look as good. On the other hand. it's probably easier to read.



  19. - Top - End - #19
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    Nomrom's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Catacombs of Ravenloft

    Razick is initially drawn to the voice that seems to be coming from the right, but his attention is immediately diverted to the scraping sound that seems to come from off to the left. He quickly darts around the corner, eyes scanning any sign of life ready to rain fire on whatever may be threatening them.

    Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    1st action - Razick strides his full 35 ft. to G22
    2nd action - Seek action ahead of him down that corridor
    3rd action - If he sees something, then he'll strike with either an alchemist's fire or a ghost charge depending on how undead it looks to be. If he doesn't see anything yet, he'll stride again. I will update as necessary based on the result of his seeking.


    Spoiler: Character Information
    Show
    Pathbuilder link for character tracking
    Infusions 8/15; Alchemist's Fire (Moderate) x6, Elixir of Life (Moderate) x4, Ghost Charge (Moderate) x6

  20. - Top - End - #20
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Goblin

    Join Date
    Jun 2015

    Default Re: Catacombs of Ravenloft

    Eada sneaks to the north toward the sound of something opening.

    Spoiler: actions rnd 1
    Show
    1. Sneak
    2. 60ft movement north
    3. Not sure would like more info b4 deciding
    Last edited by zylodrizzt; 2022-07-16 at 06:41 PM.

  21. - Top - End - #21
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    Gwynfrid's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Ontario
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Catacombs of Ravenloft

    Neither eada nor Razick see anything in the corridor.

    Spoiler
    Show

    @Nomrom: Razick is now in G22, and saw/heard nothing. He has one action left.

    @zylodrizzt: The Sneak action is a movement, but at half speed. With Eada's great base speed, he gets to H21 and now has 2 actions left. Please use the coordinates to indicate precisely where he goes next.


    Spoiler: ADDED: Map update
    Show
    Last edited by Gwynfrid; 2022-07-14 at 01:44 AM.

  22. - Top - End - #22
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    RedWizardGuy

    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Location
    UK
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Catacombs of Ravenloft

    Jildu will cast Shield again then follow eada.

    Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Stride twice to follow as far as I can, 45ft speed
    Still full health, in cascade, AC 29 thanks to shield.

  23. - Top - End - #23
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Beholder

    Join Date
    Mar 2014

    Default Re: Catacombs of Ravenloft

    Kluh grips the dinged up bastard sword and readies it in both hands, almost twice his size! And continues to look around while following behind the group.

    Spoiler: OoC
    Show

    Kluh's actions this round will be
    Seek
    Stride
    Stride

    The goal is to stay in the rear guard of the group, and look around for any potential disturbances. Not sure exactly where that'll put him with his 25ft speed. But again, wants to stay in the rear guard.

  24. - Top - End - #24
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Daemon

    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Catacombs of Ravenloft

    Invisible, Aleith says again, "Jildu! Kill the light! Goggles up!" She draws her blade and dashes after the others stealthily.

    Spoiler
    Show
    1: draw blade
    2-3: double swift sneak after the others, keeping some distance.

    @Thunder999: Aleith has a gloomblade which gives large benenits in darkness.

  25. - Top - End - #25
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    Gwynfrid's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Ontario
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Catacombs of Ravenloft

    Eada swiftly goes on to explore further in the possible direction of the noise, and finds what seems to be the far end of the catacomb. Further, some stairs go down into the darkness, but that opening is barred with a portcullis. He gets the sense that he has probably gone too far that way... Especially when the metallic sound of heavy steps are heard from the south-east direction. Another voice rises, with an abyssal depth to it, and his companions react with cries of pain and alarm. Indeed, the others have followed, at their own pace, and in front of them, a dark figure emerges. It is a tall warrior, clad from head to toe in an armor of entirely black metal. Two points of pale blue light are the only facial features visible through his square, heavy helmet. He strides calmly, not bothering with either discretion or speed, a large sword in both hands, pointed in Ser Richard's and Razick's direction. A single word of magic, spoken with a voice that sounds like it comes from the deepest of graves, and the whole area is covered in frost, chilling their bodies to the bone! All around, the frozen bodies of bats fall from the ceiling, and hundreds of the surviving animals take flight...

    In a farther distance to the south, Ser Richard hears the first voice again, as more magic is spoken. But then, another enemy emerges, right next to Kluh, who was guarding the rear: Seemingly made entirely out of shadows, it silently comes right out of the wall next to him, and strikes with a bare hand that lacks all physical substance.

    Spoiler: end of round 1
    Show
    I positioned your characters approximately following your indications, I hope this is reasonably OK - I won't backtrack, I'm afraid, that would be far too complicated!

    The full-armored warrior comes out of the crypt in S20, strides, and unleashes a 30-ft blast of cold. Razick and Ser Richard are in the area of effect.
    Cold damage (5d12)[30], basic reflex save DC28
    Ser Rychard: (1d20+18)[25] - failed
    Razick: (1d20+19)[30] - passed

    The shadowy creature comes out of the wall in I22 and attacks Kluh (1d20+18)[31] for (2d10+6)[21] negative damage - hit!

    The sound of spellcasting came from the area between N-T/30-35.

    Total for this round:
    Ser Rychard took 30 cold damage.
    Razick took 10 cold damage thanks to his ring of cold resistance.
    Kluh took 21 negative damage.

    Spoiler: map
    Show
    Last edited by Gwynfrid; 2022-07-26 at 10:09 AM.

  26. - Top - End - #26
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Goblin

    Join Date
    Jun 2015

    Default Re: Catacombs of Ravenloft

    Eada comes around the corner seemingly flying in a blur of motion. He leaps into the air leg extended twisting as he goes in a screw type motion to knock the knight to the ground. The knight stands it's ground as the elven missile lands on his chest but quickly follows is a kick to the side of the head. Eada pushes off into a back flip and disappears behind a tomb once again.

    Spoiler: rnd 2 eada
    Show
    I'll put flavor in later.
    Action 1 move up to the fully armored warrior (hopefully didn't know I was there b4)
    Action 2 flurry of manuvers (trip then attack)
    Action 3 sneak back around a crypt 30ft away (m14 I think)


    Rolls
    Trip (1d20+20)[26]
    Attack (1d20+20)[30]
    Damage (2d6+6)[16]
    Last edited by zylodrizzt; 2022-07-25 at 10:37 PM.

  27. - Top - End - #27
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    RedWizardGuy

    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Location
    UK
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Catacombs of Ravenloft

    Jildu re-casts his Shield, Strides into reach of the armoured figure and swings his staff for its feet to try and Trip it.

    Spoiler: OOC/rolls
    Show
    So about that light, turns out it's not actually dismissable, maybe after this fight I could cast it on something and shove that in a bag since you can only have one, wouldn't have gone with it if I'd known.
    Stride is to N18 since Jildu has reach. His staff has the Trip trait so he can use its reach and +1 when tripping.
    (1d20+22)[41] against reflex DC to trip.

    Shield is boosting AC to 29, 118/118hp
    https://www.myth-weavers.com/sheet.html#id=2643175

  28. - Top - End - #28
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Beholder

    Join Date
    Mar 2014

    Default Re: Catacombs of Ravenloft

    THAT HURT!!! Kluh screams and his anger causes his small form to swell up as if each muscle was expanding like a balloon! He turns to his assailant and raise the now huge bastard sword and swings down! The metal shooting sparks as is scrapes against the walls!

    Spoiler: OoC
    Show

    Get mad! Attack the thing that hit me!

    Action 1 - Rage: Grow large, 1 minute
    Action 2 - Strike (1d20+20)[27] Damage (2d8+10)[18] Persistent bleed damage (1d6)[2] Giant Stature
    Action 3 - Strike? (1d20+20)[30] Damage (2d8+10)[16] Persistent bleed damage (1d6)[3]

    Pretty sure that's right. I don't see where I can't attack twice?

    Edit to show raging, giant stature, followed by a strike.

    Last edited by Albinobrow; 2022-07-29 at 05:41 PM.

  29. - Top - End - #29
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Daemon

    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Catacombs of Ravenloft

    Aleith scowls invisibly accepting that Jildu won’t turn off his light - no matter. She dashes down the hall silently, but slows at the nexus of two paths: one leading to the shadowy form; the other to the armored figure - next to Jildu’s light. Neither option looked appealing, so she glanced back and forth studying the two figures, trying to gauge which is the better target.

    Spoiler: Actions
    Show
    1: move to K17
    2: recall knowledge (shadow) (1d20+12)[19]
    3: recall knowledge (knight) (1d20+12)[28]

    I am assuming undead here, but if I am wrong, her check may improve.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •