New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Bugbear in the Playground

DruidGirl

Default Re: Ic - that bitter old king

AC: 16 HP: 28/28 Ki: 5/5
    PP: 16 PInv: 11 PIns: 16

Bijou laughs and shakes her head. "I've never done anything else. My mother was an entertainer and I grew up on the road with her. She's settled down now--runs an inn," she says, glancing sidelong at Ganiz. "I was of age so I just...kept going."

"They call it the Beauty Way, you ever heard that? It's not any particular route, just the road where the audiences take you. You can leave it or find it, or get lost on it."

She slips into a melancholy travelling song smooth and easy, almost without thinking.

Spoiler: 🎶Pancho and Lefty
    Show
    Living on the road my friend
    Was gonna keep you free and clean
    And now you wear your skin like iron
    And your breath as hard as kerosene

Weren't your mama's only child
    But her favorite one it seems
    She began to cry when you said goodbye
    And sank into your dreams
    Last edited by TriciaOso; 2022-06-29 at 01:19 PM.

2. - Top - End - #62
    Ogre in the Playground

Kobold

Ganiz nods. "Heard another traveler mention it, back in the day," he says, "thought it might have just been a name he made up himself, though, to draw people into his tales. Guess not. Suppose that's probably how the name started, though." He's silent for a moment before he speaks up again. "Innkeep's not where I thought I'd end up," he adds, addressing Bijou's glance, "that was Adella's before I entered the picture. Just the spot I came to land."
    Coach and Owner of Hellbug's Heroes, Sneak Kings, Sultans of Slaughter, and Commercial Cast-Offs. Season II and III runner-up. Season IV league champion. Season VII division champion.

3. - Top - End - #63
    Barbarian in the Playground

MonkGirl

Quote Originally Posted by The Hellbug View Post
    Once they get on the way again, Ganiz addresses Rathoran out of the blue. "Not an adventurer," he corrects, "caravan guard. Different. Caravan guards do a job--don't go looking for treasure and riches or to stir up trouble."
    Ratharon nods, finding that former career even more understandable than previous. "Caravan guard, eh? That makes even more sense, didn't mean to jump to conclusions." Listening to everyone else talk about their past or motivations was certainly equally interesting, however brief some were. She started to speak up, but then caught herself since she hadn't been invited to do so. Instead, once there's a more noticeable lull in the conversation, she snatches Ganiz's earlier correction. "Speaking of caravan, by any chance have you worked or met with a merchant named Sisl? Travels the Dry on rare occasions, not very open where else or what he does business? Vague description, I know. Led a charge with my old tribe to save his life from some giant scorpions a while back. It's.. why I'm here, really. Aside from this business, of course." Her demeanor changes somewhat with the line before last, both melancholy and holding back ire, only to perk back up with the correction. As if to distract herself to avoid any potential questioning, she clicks her tongue and lets Tira slither onto her hand, petting the tiny snake with a finger from the other.

4. - Top - End - #64
    Ogre in the Playground

Kobold

"Hmmmm." Ganiz hesitates before answering. Frankly, it's been a long time since he's thought back to his old days on the road in more than a general sense, the names and faces of most people he hadn't worked closely with long having settled into distant memory...except those of his final, ill-fated voyage. They still live in his dreams on his worst nights. "Can't say I have," he finally answers, "but I haven't been on the road in, ooh, I guess more than a decade at this point. And there are lots of folks moving around the edge of the Dry--more than you might expect in some places. If I ever did, it wasn't more than a mention. But if he's running afowl of giant scorpions, whether because of inexperience or foolish greed, well, I'm probably more fortunate for it."
    Coach and Owner of Hellbug's Heroes, Sneak Kings, Sultans of Slaughter, and Commercial Cast-Offs. Season II and III runner-up. Season IV league champion. Season VII division champion.

5. - Top - End - #65
    Ogre in the Playground

The sun slinks lazily across the sky as you walk. The way becomes rougher; the ground becomes harder. The shrubs turn to tangled clumps clinging to the gaps of boulders like clusters of spiders.

It is Rathoran and Joan that see them first. The nomad's instincts flare, her serpent coiling tighter. The back of the angel-blooded warrior's neck prickles, those ever-so-slightly inhuman senses seeing movement in the furrows and creases.

Animalistic forms; lupine, almost, bigger than a coyote has right to be. They're following the party, trying to stay out of sight, unwilling to engage - at least, not yet.

With nothing to do, the party keeps going, until they reach what must have been a way-point for those heading to old Zarian. Three hills form a wall around a sheltered incove, a flat piece of land. Some ancient firepit, stones blackened with historic flames, sits in the centre of the clearing.

The air here is still, the wind blocked by the hills on three sides. The river flows sluggishly to your flank.

The stranger waits until you're in the clearing until they introduce themselves.

"Hello there!"
    calls a voice. Situated on a boulder, sixty feet ahead and thirty feet up a hill, a slender figure in a poncho is slouched on the top of the rock. A wide brimmed hat shades their face, their eyes occasionally gleaming in the half-light. You can't see any weapons - no large ones, at least.
    "My name's Glint, and pleased to meet you. But-"
    The voice is feminine, almost delicate, with a chiming accent that definitely isn't from around here. There's a hint of amusement to it, like you're not in on the joke.
    "Could I trouble you to turn around and go back?"

Spoiler: Glint
    Show

Last edited by Awful; 2022-07-04 at 06:04 PM.
    And the far stars cried, and the planets yearned;
    But no man may know, for she'll ne'er return.

6. - Top - End - #66

DruidGirl

Bijou frowns. "I'll come and go, as young Janet said, and ask no leave of thee," she says, quoting an old, old song, about a young girl who tangles with the Queen of Elves.

7. - Top - End - #67
    Firbolg in the Playground

Jegger
    Human Barbarian
    AC: 20 HP: 54/55
    PP: 12 PIv: 9 PIs: 12
    Conditions: -
    Raging: -
    Reckless: -
    Wild Surge Effect: -

Tensions rise when Joan and Rathoran spot creatures following the group. They point them out to Jegger but he has difficulty making them out. He gets a glimpse of one and makes out exactly what the women had described, some sort of large lupine creature. Well, that's unsettling, he mutters. The group decides to keep marching until they find a way-point in the hills.

A voice from above calls out to them, My name's Glint, and pleased to meet you. But, could I trouble you to turn around and go back?

Jegger looks at the others, he hadn't been expecting anyone out here, and certainly not someone with the confidence to politely ask a group of five to get lost. He scans the terrain nestled between the three hills for her accomplices, but maintains a steady composure.

Hail, Glint! Jegger calls out to the figure on the boulder up the hill, The name's Jegger, and the trouble is more than you know. We'd have to travel back in the dark, with wolves hot on our feet. We'd rather rest here, and defend ourselves for the night, if it's all the same to you.
    Last edited by Dr.Samurai; 2022-07-05 at 09:28 AM.

8. - Top - End - #68
    Ogre in the Playground

Kobold

As soon as he had been notified of the party's followers, Ganiz nodded, strung his bow, and tested its draw: still good. He moved his quiver from back to belt and kept a weather eye for the lupine creatures as the day rolled on. His caution never bears fruit, but now, however, a totally different kind of problem appears to be blocking their way. Bow in hand, he's cautious but not yet reaching for an arrow. "Never seen this one before," the innkeeper whispers to his allies who are talking to this 'Glint', "not from New Zarian." They seem too confident to be alone in a place like this, so Ganiz scans the surrounding hills, looking for the creatures from earlier and likely spots from which an ambusher could spring.
    Last edited by The Hellbug; 2022-07-05 at 01:26 PM.

9. - Top - End - #69

Joan had been on edge since she saw the too-big coyotes. The appearance of this over-confident stranger did nothing to calm her nerves. Noticing her new companions looking around for danger or ambush, Joan kept her eyes on this "Glint".

Hail, Glint! Jegger calls out to the figure on the boulder up the hill, The name's Jegger, and the trouble is more than you know. We'd have to travel back in the dark, with wolves hot on our feet. We'd rather rest here, and defend ourselves for the night, if it's all the same to you.
    "We did not come here on a whim," Joan called out, adding to Jegger's comments. "Nor will we be turned away by one. If your intention is not ill, come down and we will speak. But be warned, if it is trouble you seek, then you will find it here." She hefted her shield and shifted her warhammer from one shoulder to the other to emphasize her words.
    Last edited by agignac; 2022-07-05 at 04:04 PM.
    Spoiler: Chult game links
    Show

10. - Top - End - #70
    Ogre in the Playground

Kobold

Having seen what he feared, Ganiz grips his bow more tightly. "Easy," he urges Joan and the others quietly, "those jackals from earlier have us surrounded--hiding on the slopes.
    Last edited by The Hellbug; 2022-07-05 at 05:43 PM.

11. - Top - End - #71
    Ogre in the Playground

Glint laughs, sharp and crystal, like broken glass.
    "Well, that's hardly nice," she says, amusement colouring her tone. "I even asked real polite."
    She shrugs, hands held palm towards the sky theatrically, before she settles back down. She folds one arm over a knee, leaning forwards.
    "All due respect, miss, but seeing you with that mallet I think I'll stay up here. I get the sense you might be a mite keen to give something a right thump with it.

Now, Mister Jegger, if I may say so, I've got some experience with beasts like the ones in these hills - and while you're in their territory, they'll be closing the noose, so to speak. But if they see you heading outwards - why, threat leaving, all's happy, and the teeth don't come out. So speaking for your good health, mister, it'd be better for you and your pals to turn around and make tracks back home."

12. - Top - End - #72

Jegger
    Human Barbarian

Easy, Ganiz urges Joan and the others quietly, those jackals from earlier have us surrounded--hiding on the slopes. Jegger looks from side to side, Well thank the Fool I'm with a handful of eagle-eyed folk such as yourselves, he whispers, I'm not seein' anything out here. Ganiz, are these jackal things covered in quills?

Glint calls out, Now, Mister Jegger, if I may say so, I've got some experience with beasts like the ones in these hills - and while you're in their territory, they'll be closing the noose, so to speak. But if they see you heading outwards - why, threat leaving, all's happy, and the teeth don't come out. So speaking for your good health, mister, it'd be better for you and your pals to turn around and make tracks back home.

Jegger nods at the woman and calls back over the distance, Mighty kind of you Glint, to look out fer us like that. But as I said, the trouble's more than you know. Something attacked New Zarian. Killed a boy. We're not turning back until the city is safe, we have people depending on us. Call yer dogs off and let's talk, maybe you can help us find the thing we're looking for. But turnin' around aint an option.

13. - Top - End - #73

Joan sighed. She usually managed to say the wrong thing. She hoped the others would be more successful in talking sense to the stranger.

Then something registered - Glint had called her "miss". It had been decades since anybody younger than an elder had called her that. She squinted up at the stranger - who was she?
    Show

14. - Top - End - #74

MonkGirl

Ratharon was fixated on watching the lupine threats trailing them, enough that Glint's appearance registered but didn't alarm her. Though once they mentioned the beasts, she found it odd just how carefree she was. Joan was suspicious of their intent, understandably, while Jegger was willing to give them the benefit of the doubt. Ratharon studied her for a moment, then decided to take Jegger's approach.

"Greetings to you, fair Glint. My name is Ratharon Dhodom. I understand and appreciate your concern, but as my friend mentioned, we are here to stop one beast in particular that has attacked the town of New Zarian. You say you're familiar with the creatures of this land? Perhaps your knowledge would help us get in, do our job, and get out swiftly enough." But she can't help herself probing for a bit more. "Unless you have reason other than concern for getting us away from here..?"

15. - Top - End - #75
    Ogre in the Playground

Glint tips her hat politely at Rathoran's greeting, but Jegger's words have left her thoughtful.
    "A dead boy, hmm."
    The stranger reaches up to rub at an ear.
    "That is troublesome. Guessing you're out for blood, huh?"

She thinks for a moment, then clicks her fingers.
    "Alright. How about this? See, it's pretty important you don't go any deeper in the hills, orders from above, complicated reasons, you'll die, trust me - so how about this - I'll chuck you some compensation for the boy's family, you take it home to mama and papa, and I'll personally deal with the beastie myself."

Glint smiles widely, her teeth a white slash in the face visible beneath the brim of her hat.

"How about it? Best of all worlds, right? Poor little kid gets avenged, you don't have to risk yourself, and mama gets gold to help ease away her tears."
    Last edited by Awful; 2022-07-07 at 06:53 AM.

16. - Top - End - #76

Jegger
    Human Barbarian

Jegger is taken aback by the implications... who is Glint serving? Why does she think she can survive where the others can't? Why does she feel strongly enough to offer gold?

He doesn't say anything, looking instead to Ganiz and Rathoran, both from New Zarian. Gold isn't nothing, especially these days. He doesn't know what they will make of Glint's offer to slay the beast herself and give them gold for the family instead. He waits quietly.

17. - Top - End - #77

DruidGirl

Bijou speaks with careful courtesy, her mind racing with old legends and a sense of danger her companions obviously don't feel.

Spoiler
    Show
    My mother said, I never should
    Play with the fairies in the wood;
    If I did, she would say,
    Naughty little girl to disobey.
    Your hair shan't curl,Your shoes shan't shine,
    You changeling girl, you shan't be mine.

"Fair you are, and fair your speech, and fair your offer," she temporizes. "But our business is our own, and we can't stop here. Good day to you."

18. - Top - End - #78

Joan felt like a fish out of water here. There was something going on here, something above her ability to comprehend. Usually when evil needed killing, she killed it. This was beyond her ken.

"Orders from whom?" she asked the strangely casual behatted person. "Above where?" She looked around at the animals that she could only catch glimpses of. "What manner of beast is it, that you can take on single-handedly, but that would kill the five of us?"
    Show

19. - Top - End - #79

MonkGirl

"The offer is indeed appreciated, and tempting.." Ratharon starts, mirroring Bijou's sentiment and looking down as if mulling it over. "But gold cannot wash away blood so easily. It must fall to us. Even if it somehow soothed a family, I never could rest without being certain I took it down myself."

She then locks eyes with Glint, determination plain to see from her expression, as well as curiosity. "Aside from that, I'm more interested in what you could possibly mean by "orders from above." And that you claim capability to take it down in single combat. Is there civilization close by you hail from, with special knowledge on these creatures? Or is this just your specialty?"

20. - Top - End - #80
    Ogre in the Playground

Kobold

Ganiz nods, showing his support for the others. They've covered everything he wanted to say so he merely keeps an wary eye on Glint for her response. Frankly, the situation feels like it's getting more tense by the moment, and Ganiz knows that if it snaps at the end, it can only mean violence.

21. - Top - End - #81
    Ogre in the Playground

The woman sighs regretfully.
    "Now, that is a shame. You can't say I didn't try, at least."

She slowly raises a hand, then snaps her fingers. The click, piercingly loud, seems to echo around the little natural plaza. The creatures in the hills around you stir, becoming dark silhouettes staring down. Pebbles clatter down as they brace themselves to charge.
    "I do solemnly wish it didn't come to this, but for what it's worth, you are, at least, getting your chance.

Chaothlobaal!"

From behind the hill she's positioned on rises a terrible howl. Something impossibly hateful, impossibly ugly, screaming rage into the sky. A centauroid figure scrambles into view. It looks - almost stitched together, a torso mismatched with the hairless leonine body, a segmented tail waving behind. One of the creature's arms is a ragged stump of withered black flesh, the passage of some ancient blow still shown in the great slice taken out the torso. Organs pulse inside, just visible. The other arm is thickly muscled, shod in claws. From the back of the torso rises a forest of spines, tips black with ichor, and the face is a six-eyed mask of wrath.

But perhaps what is worst are the faces. Inside the scarred and miscoloured skin of the torso, the impressions of human faces slowly writhe and push themselves against the flesh, as if trapped inside the belly of the beast.

Spoiler: Chaothlobaal, the Spine Demon
    Show

The monster comes to a halt next to her, and she thumps in on the side. It doesn't move; she might as well have punched a wall. It snarls at her, but she doesn't flinch.

"This is your damned mess, you ugly thing, so sort it out." Glint tells it. "You were damn well told not to kill anyone."

She turns back to the party, surveying them regretfully.

"The screaming in this next part always gives me a headache,"
    Glint says, "So I'll be heading off here. Boys! Kill! Kill!"

She clicks her fingers again and flickers, here-then-not, and abruptly she's standing on the next hill away. She makes a gesture of farewell and begins making her way off.

The monster lets loose another horrible howl, the air almost stained black with it, before it begins to bound towards you, and so do the jackals on the hills...

Roll for initiative!

Spoiler: Combat info
    Show
    There's around thirty feet of smooth terrain in each direction before it gets into rough, craggy hills - that'll count as difficult terrain when heading uphill.

There's two jackal monsters 1 and 2 - to your east around eighty feet away.

There's two jackal monsters 3 and 4 - to your south, around eighty feet away.

Chaothlobaal is sixty feet ahead, up on a rock.

22. - Top - End - #82

Jegger
    Human Barbarian

Jegger's eyes go wide at the sight of the monster, something no story he had heard ever described. The thought of this spined horror slinking through New Zarian at night scared him, the thought of the boy, Jonas, coming face to face with this nighmare all alone pained him. The thought that someone out here had a leash on this thing enraged him. He hears Gendo's voice in his head, Your problem is you think too much boy. You can't be thinking when the time comes, you just act. Attack, Move, Defend. Where is their striking coming? Where's yours going? ....

The lesson fades away as Jegger brings his shield forward and steels himself.

Spoiler: Initiative
    Show
    Initiative - (1d20+3)[13]

23. - Top - End - #83
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler: init
    Show

Ganiz: 21
    Bijou: 16
    Joan: 15
    Rathoran: 14
    Jegger: 13
    Foes: 9

For the sake of speed, I'll say that you can take your turns in any order unless an enemy would be able to act first.

So in this case, everyone can act now.

24. - Top - End - #84

This was better. Talking, negotiating, could be confusing. Fighting was pure, uncomplicated.

Joan settled her shield on her forearm, closing her eyes for a moment. "Gods of my Father, aid us in this battle for good." She'd have liked to be able to name the god or gods she invoked, but she didn't know their names.

She began marching towards the four-legged demon. "I shall engage it in combat. If you can keep the hounds off my heels, I can take it down." It was hard to know how well-earned her confidence was, but they were about to find out.

Spoiler
    Show
    Casting Aid. Bijou, Ganiz and Jegger have +5 to HP bonus and +5 HP. Her plan is to compel it to duel her, and then smite it to death.
    Show

25. - Top - End - #85

MonkGirl

Once Glint showed her hand and sicced the creatures at them, Joan ran ahead at the largest of the beasts. Ratharon's scarlet eyes glanced all around, immediately taking in all five threats - the big one Joan charged, and two jackal beasts each to the east and south. Spotting no ranged weaponry on the creatures, unless their spines could be discharged, she decides to lift an arm and click her tongue, letting Tira fly out and above her head, and issued a command "Sentry formation!" The snake flies thirty feet into the air above reach, ready to fly down and bite any who approach while retreating to a safe distance.

As for herself, with Tira prepared, she gets down on one knee and takes aim at one of the southern jackals. With only a second of adjustment, she fires an arrow directly at its head, aiming for the kill shot, and then lets loose a quicker second as insurance.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Ratharon uses Sharpshooter for her attack, commanding Tira to fly thirty feet into the air above Ratharon
    Sharpshooter Attack: (1d20+3)[20]
    Damage: (1d8+13)[17]
    Last edited by Kushina43; 2022-07-10 at 07:35 PM.

26. - Top - End - #86

MonkGirl

Show
    Second attack because I forgot how Bm works
    Second attack: (1d20+8)[10]
    Damage: (1d8+3)[4]

27. - Top - End - #87

DruidGirl

Perfect.

Bijou looks around and makes a quick assessment. She can't reach any of them immediately, not with the steep hills and gravelly paths, so she looks to Jegger and calls, "Mind the archers!" before sprinting after Joan to cover her from direct coyote attacks. She's fleet-footed, and catches up easily, dropping into a defensive stance. She holds her walking staff like a weapon now.

28. - Top - End - #88

Jegger
    Human Barbarian

Jegger is about to run beside Joan to help her fight the demon, when Bijou looks to Jegger and calls, "Mind the archers!" before sprinting after Joan to cover her from direct coyote attacks. Jegger looks from side to side, seeing coyotes on either end and the demon ahead of them, What archers?! he calls after Bijou. He turns to Ganiz and Rathoran to ask them and sees the ranged weaponry, Oh. He looks back at the demon rearing down on Joan and hisses, Dammit! before shifting his stance toward the jackals bearing down on them.

Spoiler: Turn 1
    Show
    Assuming I'm near Rathoran and Ganiz, I am not sure in which direction to move. I'll stay close to the two of them and take the Dodge action.

29. - Top - End - #89
    Ogre in the Playground

Kobold

Sorcery! Demon Magic! Ganiz gasps when the horrible spined creature appears, memories of his last encounter with such magics freezing him on the spot. It's actually only the demon's horrible howl that shakes him free, and he, hand shaking, nocks an arrow, now practically oblivious to the smaller creatures.

Deep breath. Concentrate. Aim. Though his heart races, the innkeeper gets his thoughts and breath under control. He regrets ignoring the impulse to have just put an arrow in the suspicious stranger and been done with her when it was obvious to him she was in control of the jackals, but that time is past. This demon is clearly the creature that came to New Zarian and killed Jonas, and this demon clearly has to die. Ganiz steadies his aim and waits for it to be distracted with one of his allies and looses his arrow.

Show
    No movement.
    Bonus action: None. Nowhere to hide
    Action: Ready an action to fire an arrow at the big beasty when it closes with one of his allies to attack.

Attack: (1d20+8)[28]
    Damage: (3d6+3)[1][6][5](12) (the second two d6s are sneak attack dice in case those need to be subtracted)

Edit: That's a crit! I rolled the critical damage in the discord so, cleaning it up from my messy rolling, that should be 30 damage if I qualify for the sneak attack (I don't know if it'll close the distance though it certainly looks like the kind of thing that will) or 10 damage if I don't.
    Last edited by The Hellbug; 2022-07-11 at 12:33 PM.

30. - Top - End - #90
    Ogre in the Playground

With words failed, the party employ the oldest language: violence.

As the monsters come closer, jaws agape and claws stirring the earth, the five humans (and aasimar) ready fist and iron and will. One of the jackals stumbles wildly as a pair of arrows strike deeply into its hide. The first one is stronger, deeper, sending it limping. The second one strikes thick wiry fur and sticks in, only sinking a little into the flesh. It yelps with a high-pitched, whining cry, before charging, if anything, faster than before, as if eager to close with its attacker.

The demon does not stop its headlong charge. It's hooves hammer at Joan, slamming against her shield like thunderbolts, and as she bears the blows of the rocky hooves, but the demon's great claws comes around, hooking around the shield and bursting a long line of links as it gouges a heavy red wound in the woman's chest. Immediately, she can feel the aching burn of noxious ichor, seeping into the wound, gnawing with tiny invisible teeth on the injury. Her head swims, her vision tinting an awful rotting red.

Spoiler: Two attacks against Joan
    Show

Joan blocks the hoof attack, but the claw attack gets through.
    Joan takes 8 damage. Make a DC14 Con save or become Poisoned, taking an additonal 1d6 poison damage and ending the effect on a save.

As the demon thrashes at Joan, claw aloft, tail whipping, an arrow zips out from behind Joan's guard. One of Chaothlobaal's eyes ruptures, replaced with the wooden shaft of an arrow.

the demon roars, some hideous word in demonic, and it rises the gorge in your throats, and as it does the tail whips forward like a ballista bolt - not at Joan but - past to slash open a cheek on Bijou to the teeth. It draws back the tail, the heavy chitin blade on the end now speckled with fresh blood, and waves it like a war banner.

More to come, is the unspoken promise.

Spoiler: An attack against Bijou
    Show

The tail attack hits Bijou but lowballs at the minimum 6 damage.

Spoiler: Combat info
    Show

Round summary:

The Jackals all dash to close the distance, ending up next to the main group.

Chaothlobaal moves up and attacks three times; twice against Joan, once against Bijou.
    Chaothlobaal lands one attack against Joan and Bijou, dealing 8 and 6 damage respectively and forcing a DC14 con save for Joan.

---

There's around thirty feet of smooth terrain in each direction before it gets into rough, craggy hills - that'll count as difficult terrain when heading uphill.

There's two jackal monsters 1 and 2 - to your east, next to the main group.

There's two jackal monsters 3 and 4 - to your south, next to the main group.
    Jackal 3 is heavily injured.

Chaothlobaal is next to Joan.