New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Colossus in the Playground

Default Re: Jurassic World: Dominion

Quote Originally Posted by Rater202 View Post
    While all of the raptors were raised in isolation at first, the implication seems to be that the big one was the most recent raptor put in.

If I recall, she's implied to be the one that almost escaped and ate that one guy when they were putting a new raptor into th open in the prolog... This means she took over the pack and killed everyone that would listen to her in a few weeks tops.
    I figured they were all grown at the same time, all apart, on Isla Sorna, and then brought to the Isla Nublar pen in no particular order (but it does make sense that the Big One was the last to be delivered to the Isla Nublar pen.)

Though considering that Blue's genetic makeup is said to be a contributing factor as to why she and she alone of all of the raptors is anywhere near close to being able to be domesticated I feel more comfortable with the "they've just got bad genes" explanation with the first few batches of raptors than otherwise.
    Maybe, after Alan's account of events from JP3 came out, Masrani concluded "Finally, a sane raptor type has been bred - let's get a hold of those genes" and got them and used them as the starting point for what would eventually become Blue.
    Last edited by hamishspence; 2022-06-14 at 01:11 PM.
    Marut-2 Avatar by Serpentine
    New Marut Avatar by Linkele

2. - Top - End - #32
    Titan in the Playground

Just saw it.

What a ******* pile of ridiculous.

Originally Posted by Talakeal
    …this one spends too much time trying to be a Bond movie to its detriment.
    The Bond element was strong here, and completely out of whack. It felt like they were trying to do a mashup of Bond and The Circle.

And since when are Owen and Claire able to just tag along on a CIA bust? They don’t give out visitor passes for those.

Originally Posted by snowblizz
    I don't want to go too spoilery at this point but there is a scene which basically could have a guy scream "ok line up to be eaten".
    Yeah, supposedly highly trained agents with guns, who have clear shots on the dinosaurs, and don’t immediately start shooting? One clean headshot apiece and they could’ve solved their problem before it got going.

“Dinosaurs loose—shoot them now!” shouldn’t be a hard connection to make.

And what about the dinosaurs that weren’t actually dinosaurs?

Spoiler: Not Dinosaurs
    Show
    Dimetrodons aren’t dinosaurs, and they never were—they went extinct tens of millions of years before the first true dinosaurs appeared.

These movies are skating along on the very basic premise from the original movie, that of sampling DNA from ancient mosquitoes that fed on dinosaur blood. But mosquitoes likely didn’t evolve for at least 50 million years after Dimetrodons went extinct.

But never mind that, apparently someone really wanted Dimetrodons in this movie.

And then there’s Obligatory Angsty Teenager, whose story was completely rewritten from the last movie into something that makes absolutely no sense—as in, it literally makes no sense even inside the movie, never mind any scientific sense.

Spoiler: Miracle Baby
    Show
    One of the main points of Fallen Kingdom was that Lockwood and Hammond had been driven apart by Lockwood’s decision to apply cloning technology to his daughter and create Maisie. Simple, direct. Not handled especially well by Fallen Kingdom, but opened up some Orphan Black-style emotional and ethical quandaries.

Now we’re given something completely different and completely absurd—that Maisie wasn’t cloned, but born, except she was born parthenogenetically? And Charlotte used a viral vector to cure Maisie of a genetic disease?

This raises the question of why Charlotte couldn’t use the same viral vector to cure herself of the disease, but evidently that’s asking too much. Most of the “science” Charlotte was talking about was complete nonsense, and I can’t even make sense of what Maisie is supposed to be.

And then there’s Wu.

Spoiler: The Redemption of Henry Wu
    Show
    So Wu is now deeply remorseful—not at his hubris in re-creating dinosaurs in the first place, not at doing it all over again despite what happened the first time, not even at creating bizarre new killer hybrids like Indominus and Indoraptor.

No, he’s upset because he made supersized grasshoppers on the orders of his evil techie boss—orders whose purpose would have been obvious from the start. And somehow solving this is meant to be his redemption? Leaving behind the decades of dino-cloning and all the people who were eaten as a result?

Not buying it.
    Last edited by Palanan; 2022-06-14 at 02:37 PM.

3. - Top - End - #33
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by hamishspence View Post
    Wu suggests tamer, slower, safer dinosaurs, and Hammond firmly shoots the proposal down as making them not authentic enough.

Spoiler
    Show

“The dinosaurs we have now are real,” Wu said, pointing to the screens around the room, “but in certain ways they are unsatisfactory. Unconvincing. I could make them better.”
    “Better in what way?”
    “For one thing, they move too fast,” Henry Wu said. “People aren’t accustomed to seeing large animals that are so quick. I’m afraid visitors will think the dinosaurs look speeded up, like film running too fast.”
    “But, Henry, these are real dinosaurs. You said so yourself.”
    “I know,” Wu said. “But we could easily breed slower, more domesticated dinosaurs.”
    “Domesticated dinosaurs?” Hammond snorted. “Nobody wants domesticated dinosaurs, Henry. They want the real thing.”
    “But that’s my point,” Wu said. “I don’t think they do. They want to see their expectation, which is quite different.”
    Hammond was frowning.
    “You said yourself, John, this park is entertainment,” Wu said. “And entertainment has nothing to do with reality. Entertainment is antithetical to reality.”
    Hammond sighed. “Now, Henry, are we going to have another one of those abstract discussions? You know I like to keep it simple. The dinosaurs we have now are real, and—”
    “Well, not exactly,” Wu said. He paced the living room, pointed to the monitors. “I don’t think we should kid ourselves. We haven’t re-created the past here. The past is gone. It can never be re-created. What we’ve done is reconstruct the past—or at least a version of the past. And I’m saying we can make a better version.”
    “Better than real?”
    “Why not?” Wu said. “After all, these animals are already modified. We’ve inserted genes to make them patentable, and to make them lysine dependent. And we’ve done everything we can to promote growth, and accelerate development into adulthood.”
    Hammond shrugged. “That was inevitable. We didn’t want to wait. We have investors to consider.”
    “Of course. But I’m just saying, why stop there? Why not push ahead to make exactly the kind of dinosaur that we’d like to see? One that is more acceptable to visitors, and one that is easier for us to handle? A slower, more docile version for our park?”
    Hammond frowned. “But then the dinosaurs wouldn’t be real.”
    “But they’re not real now,” Wu said. “That’s what I’m trying to tell you. There isn’t any reality here.”

Which makes me wonder if "domestic dinosaurs" had already been produced once, unknown to Wu (by upbringing rather than engineering), and that's why Hammond was so adamant about avoiding the appearance of them being domestic.

The Lost World really hammers home that "functioning society" for raptors has to be taught - it can't be engineered in - with the Isla Sorna pack being more of a vicious mob.

Since the Isla Nublar "free pack" had a functioning society, the first members of it must have been taught something, by somebody, otherwise they would have behaved more like the Isla Sorna pack.
    I remember that discussion but Hammond was always quick to point out when he was fighting the same battle he'd fought before (he even does it in that blurb), and his reaction to Wu suggesting slower dinosaurs reads like an idea that is being presented to him for the first time, even if it fairly quickly reverts to discussions he has had before.

Quote Originally Posted by Palanan View Post
    Just saw it.

What a ******* pile of ridiculous.
    This has solidified my excitement to see it Friday after work.

Imean, really. Not knowing anything about it other than the title, the story is almost certainly going to be along the lines of "OK so this time the dinosaurs won't be eating us oh no they're eating us". I'm not expecting high art. I'm expecting dinosaurs eating people. There doesn't really need to be a lot of set dressing to justify dinosaurs eating people, we've crossed the Silly Event Horizon long ago.
    Last edited by Peelee; 2022-06-14 at 03:48 PM.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

4. - Top - End - #34
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfPirate

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    There doesn't really need to be a lot of set dressing to justify dinosaurs eating people, we've crossed the Silly Event Horizon long ago.
    Frankly they managed to absolutely take the fun out of that too. Somehow. I hope you can enjoy it though. Personally, I tried really hard and meeeh... I don't go to the cinema a lot though so for me it's more the fun of hanging with my friend commenting on the movie. It's small town, the cinema isn't very crowded.

5. - Top - End - #35
    Titan in the Playground

I don't go to the cinema a lot though so for me it's more the fun of hanging with my friend commenting on the movie.
    This movie was frustrating and disappointing enough that I’m not likely to be back in the theater for a long, long time. It would’ve been much cheaper for me to just wait a few weeks and watch it at home. Even the matinee price was nearly double what it used to be, and sad to say being in the theater did nothing to improve the movie.

Frankly they managed to absolutely take the fun out of that too. Somehow.
    And this too.

6. - Top - End - #36
    Titan in the Playground

Imean, really. Not knowing anything about it other than the title, the story is almost certainly going to be along the lines of "OK so this time the dinosaurs won't be eating us oh no they're eating us". I'm not expecting high art. I'm expecting dinosaurs eating people. There doesn't really need to be a lot of set dressing to justify dinosaurs eating people, we've crossed the Silly Event Horizon long ago.
    There could have been a lot more dinosaurs eating people. Like half the movie is random spy games stuff or whatever, with almost nobody getting eaten at all.

It's lacking in the disaster movie aspect. Jurassic Park as well as Jurassic World had a fair amount of just watching mayhem and carnage unfold as dinosaurs get loose, and that's honestly a blast. This movie probably would have benefited from more of that.

Notwithstanding that in the original movie (and novel), dinosaurs had been successfully breeding and were out of their enclosures before Nedry did anything other than coding, the OG movie (and novel) had to rely on a key security feature being pretty much ignored by the narrative immediately for the dinosaurs to actually escape.

Tiny nitpick there. I'll actually be impressed if anyone knows which security feature I mean, because of how well the narrative does at ignoring it. It's very un-noticeable.
    I don't recall offhand. It's been quite some time since I saw the film, but there are cheats in it. If memory serves, the T-rex scene plays fast and loose with the geometry of the situation, but since the focus is never on the physical layout, it doesn't really matter, and is basically unnoticeable.

I think a big thing about great films vs rough films isn't merely realism, but how much the flaws are shoved in your face. Minor details that stay out of the spotlight just get filtered out by the average viewer, but if the camera lingers on them, they become more grating.

7. - Top - End - #37
    Ogre in the Playground

Tiny nitpick there. I'll actually be impressed if anyone knows which security feature I mean, because of how well the narrative does at ignoring it. It's very un-noticeable.
    The concrete walls of the enclosures several tens of feet high?
    Quote Originally Posted by Rockphed View Post
    Dwarf Fortress would like to have a word with you. The word is decorated with bands of microcline and meanaces with spikes of rose gold. On the word is an image of the word in cinnabar.
    Quote Originally Posted by kpenguin View Post
    This is an image of Wookietank the Destroyer of Fortresses engraved in sandstone. Wookietank the Destroyer of Fortresses is leaving Trotknives. Trotknives is on fire and full of goblins. This image refers to the destruction of Trotknives in late winter of 109 by Wookietank the Destroyer of Fortresses.

8. - Top - End - #38
    Titan in the Playground

Originally Posted by Tyndmyr
    There could have been a lot more dinosaurs eating people. Like half the movie is random spy games stuff or whatever, with almost nobody getting eaten at all.
    This in spades. They burned off a lot of narrative steam on spy stuff, with a bit of Jason Bourne Lite thrown in.

Spoiler: Spy vs. Spy vs. Dinosaur
    Show
    Really, some parts of it were a weird mashup of Bond, Jason Bourne and Mission Impossible.

But any of those properties would have handled it better. Once the killer dinosaur is on the plane, it seems like a waste of a perfectly good action sequence to just knock it right off with the motorcycle, when Owen Grady could’ve been fighting it on top of the plane, balancing on the double booms and down the wings before luring it into the propellers.

9. - Top - End - #39

Quote Originally Posted by Wookieetank View Post
    The concrete walls of the enclosures several tens of feet high?
    Yes, more or less. Concrete moats, so a pit followed by a wall, up to 30 feet high and up to 30 feet wide, IIRC. Book details the actual dimensions of some of the moats when Grant is looking over the blueprints, the movie just mentions the moats are in place in the jeep ride after landing on the island, but both explicitly mention the moats which are supposed to be around every enclosure but the raptors'. And then we don't worry about the moats ever again in either version.

Though, to be fair to the movie, the book's raptor enclosure was just standard cyclone fencing while the movie had a concrete bunker with inch-thick steel bars for those things.

10. - Top - End - #40
    Troll in the Playground

Though, to be fair to the movie, the book's raptor enclosure was just standard cyclone fencing while the movie had a concrete bunker with inch-thick steel bars for those things.
    Never really got how the raptors were supposed to have escaped that pen*. The thing would have kept in just about anything short of an irate elephant, electricity or no electricity.

They just sort of seemed to be out and about as I recall, despite it being a roofed enclosure sealed on all sides with heavy duty materials. The only time I could see them getting out is when the bloody feeding crane was lowered in. Speaking of which, a crane is not a secure way to feed them, use a double door system or something to let prey in, or have a divided indoor/outdoor part to the enclosure, like every other bloody zoo does so they can isolate the animals from parts of the set up while they clean, fix or feed.

*Which I think became the template for the hatchery in various game adaptations, and it always looks more durable than the actual fences in those games.
    Sanity is nice to visit, but I wouldn't want to live there.

11. - Top - End - #41

Quote Originally Posted by Grim Portent View Post
    Never really got how the raptors were supposed to have escaped that pen*. The thing would have kept in just about anything short of an irate elephant, electricity or no electricity.

They just sort of seemed to be out and about as I recall, despite it being a roofed enclosure sealed on all sides with heavy duty materials. The only time I could see them getting out is when the bloody feeding crane was lowered in. Speaking of which, a crane is not a secure way to feed them, use a double door system or something to let prey in, or have a divided indoor/outdoor part to the enclosure, like every other bloody zoo does so they can isolate the animals from parts of the set up while they clean, fix or feed.

*Which I think became the template for the hatchery in various game adaptations, and it always looks more durable than the actual fences in those games.
    It's mentioned off-hand that the Big One was forcing the other two to test the fencing at the top of the encloser for potential weak points.

The implication seems to be that when the raptors realized that the fence didn't hurt them to touch anymore that they just brute forced the weakest part of the fence they knew about until something gave.

Even the strongest fence is gonna have a weak spot and one you get even a small break it's gonna be easier to break it further.

There's a reason why Muldoon wanted the raptors put down.
    I also answer to Bookmark and Shadow Claw.

Read my fanfiction here. Homebrew Material Here Rater Reads the Hobbit and Dracula
    Awesome Avatar by Emperor Ing
    Spoiler: Ode To Meteors, By zimmerwald
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by zimmerwald1915 View Post
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

12. - Top - End - #42

It's mentioned off-hand that the Big One was forcing the other two to test the fencing at the top of the encloser for potential weak points.

The implication seems to be that when the raptors realized that the fence didn't hurt them to touch anymore that they just brute forced the weakest part of the fence they knew about until something gave.

Even the strongest fence is gonna have a weak spot and one you get even a small break it's gonna be easier to break it further.

There's a reason why Muldoon wanted the raptors put down.
    Close, all three raptors would test the fence. Which made more sense in the book (again, cyclone fencing), though they could still chew through inch-thick steel bars, which they did on the cabana roofs. That took time, though, and they had the benefit of being on a stable platform on the roof while doing so. The elevated steel bars would be a hell of a tougher nut to crack, and that fence wasn't any weaker in one area than any other. It's just that once the power goes out the raptors are free to go to town on it (which, again, is way harder with the elevated bars in the movie).

13. - Top - End - #43
    Troll in the Playground

For me at least it strains belief that they could find a weak spot while the electric fence is active, and that they could smash or gnaw (could raptors chew? I can't recall if they had the jaw articulation for it) it open in the course of the handful of hours after Nedry shut the power off.

The chain link fencing from the novel sure, that stuff can't really hold anything determined to get through for longer than a few days or so, but the bomb shelter design from the movie is more like the sort of containers used to contain giant ass beef cattle for hoof trimming. The amount of creatures that can bust through thick steel bars without suffering injuries is rather small.

14. - Top - End - #44
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfPirate

For me at least it strains belief that they could find a weak spot while the electric fence is active, and that they could smash or gnaw (could raptors chew? I can't recall if they had the jaw articulation for it) it open in the course of the handful of hours after Nedry shut the power off.

The chain link fencing from the novel sure, that stuff can't really hold anything determined to get through for longer than a few days or so, but the bomb shelter design from the movie is more like the sort of containers used to contain giant ass beef cattle for hoof trimming. The amount of creatures that can bust through thick steel bars without suffering injuries is rather small.
    I think the problem was that Hammond spared no expense on that raptor enclosure.

I do not think he knows what this word means
    -- Every Internet user since 1998
    Last edited by snowblizz; 2022-06-16 at 07:01 AM.

15. - Top - End - #45

Quote Originally Posted by snowblizz View Post
    I think the problem was that Hammond spared no expense on that raptor enclosure.

I do not think he knows what this word means
    -- Every Internet user since 1998
    The novel made it clear that this was patently false, but the novel also made it clear that Hammond was a pure huckster, so this made perfect sense.

16. - Top - End - #46

The novel made it clear that this was patently false, but the novel also made it clear that Hammond was a pure huckster, so this made perfect sense.
    I believe that in the film he's just kind of not particularly wise.

"Spared no expense," I think means that he assumed that the most expensive option was the best one.

Like the self-propelled electric jeeps that that can't be driven manually if they're disconnected from the grid. I don't blame him for having electric cars for the tour but if he just had regular jeeps with a designated tour driver...

And he clearly didn't think through the electric fences because if he did they'd have each had their own individual backup generator separate from the main grid.

Read my fanfiction here. Homebrew Material Here Rater Reads the Hobbit and Dracula
    Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

17. - Top - End - #47
    Ogre in the Playground

I greatly appreciated how he got himself eaten by compys in the novel, always felt that was very fitting.
    Dwarf Fortress would like to have a word with you. The word is decorated with bands of microcline and meanaces with spikes of rose gold. On the word is an image of the word in cinnabar.
    This is an image of Wookietank the Destroyer of Fortresses engraved in sandstone. Wookietank the Destroyer of Fortresses is leaving Trotknives. Trotknives is on fire and full of goblins. This image refers to the destruction of Trotknives in late winter of 109 by Wookietank the Destroyer of Fortresses.

18. - Top - End - #48

I believe that in the film he's just kind of not particularly wise.

"Spared no expense," I think means that he assumed that the most expensive option was the best one.

Like the self-propelled electric jeeps that that can't be driven manually if they're disconnected from the grid. I don't blame him for having electric cars for the tour but if he just had regular jeeps with a designated tour driver...
    That was part of the automation system, which Arnold talked about in the control room scene. The park was designed to be extremely automated. Also, they did have two gas-powered jeeps in both movie and novel - one that Dr. Harding and Dr. Sattler used and one that Dennis Nedry used.

19. - Top - End - #49

That was part of the automation system, which Arnold talked about in the control room scene. The park was designed to be extremely automated. Also, they did have two gas-powered jeeps in both movie and novel - one that Dr. Harding and Dr. Sattler used and one that Dennis Nedry used.
    I get that.

I meant specifically for the tours they spent time and money automating something that really should not have been automated.

It would have been cheaper and more effective to have the tours done by a trained employee driving a regular jeep.

And I think that's telling of the design philosophy in the park, I think Hammond just sort of threw money at things without thinking through if what he was spending money on was the best thing.

Of course, it wasn't just him. Half the problems in the movie would have been solved if the security team had shot The Big One when Muldoon was shouting "shoot her" in the prolog or barring that if she'd just been euthanized afterward(seriously, I don't care how much she cost to make a dangerous, intelligent predator with a taste for human flesh and blood is a liability) and you'd think that Nedry would have maybe realized that putting everyone on the island, himself included, at risk of being killed by dangerous predators wasn't the best way to cover for stealing the embryos.

...and unless he was actively planning to kill everyone on the Island, the means of his sabotage in the film directly connect him to the incident meaning that short of no one getting off the island and no one investigating he would have been caught sooner or later.
    Last edited by Rater202; 2022-06-16 at 09:04 AM.

Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

20. - Top - End - #50
    Ogre in the Playground

...and unless he was actively planning to kill everyone on the Island, the means of his sabotage in the film directly connect him to the incident meaning that short of no one getting off the island and no one investigating he would have been caught sooner or later.
    My impression was that he was just dumping the embryos off at the dock and then heading back to the control room to finish covering his tracks. Why get paid for just the embryos, when you can get paid by the company you just ripped off too? Seems like a very Nedry sort of thing to do.

Thanks to poor weather and getting eaten though, that didn't happen.
    Last edited by Wookieetank; 2022-06-16 at 09:28 AM.

21. - Top - End - #51

So I was looking up some stuff from the earlier films for contxt and apparently, the scene where the T-Rex smashes the jeep in the orignal wasn't scripted.

Apparently, Rexy was meant to bite at the roof of the jeep but the animatronic operator screwed up. Thoe two kids almost got crushed for real.

Nobody got hurt but... Yeah, those were real screams of terror.

Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

22. - Top - End - #52

I get that.

I meant specifically for the tours they spent time and money automating something that really should not have been automated.

It would have been cheaper and more effective to have the tours done by a trained employee driving a regular jeep.

And I think that's telling of the design philosophy in the park, I think Hammond just sort of threw money at things without thinking through if what he was spending money on was the best thing.
    I'm not saying Hammond made correct choices, but there was more than him just tossing money at things. The tour was just one aspect of it, the other rides hadn't been completed yet, but they were very much rides. They described it in both versions as being a hybrid between a zoo and a theme park, and the Safari Tour was more of a ride and less of a museum with a tour guide. His chief heads of the park were zoological experts and theme park designers and experts. No tour guide/human driver was desired, since minimal staffing outside of luxury servants was the goal. Especially since this was in '94 (for the movie.' 89 for the novel), such rampant automation would have been seen as incredible luxury and technological superiority.
    Of course, it wasn't just him. Half the problems in the movie would have been solved if the security team had shot The Big One when Muldoon was shouting "shoot her" in the prolog or barring that if she'd just been euthanized afterward(seriously, I don't care how much she cost to make a dangerous, intelligent predator with a taste for human flesh and blood is a liability) and you'd think that Nedry would have maybe realized that putting everyone on the island, himself included, at risk of being killed by dangerous predators wasn't the best way to cover for stealing the embryos.
    I always took Muldoon's line to refer to tranq guns there. Regardless, while they don't explore it in the book, Hammond expressly forbade anyone from killing any of the dinosaurs, and novel Nedry didn't shut down any fencing except those on the roads. The dino fencing didn't get shut down until they rebooted the system due to being locked out of everything and everything coming back on with auxiliary power that didn't have enough juice to feed the fences.

23. - Top - End - #53
    Troll in the Playground

Tranq guns take a few minutes to take effect, so if Muldoon was ordering their use when the Big One already had teeth and claws on a guy then he was basically accepting that the guy would die, pain and agitation from being darted isn't going to make her let go. Then again, movie tranqs usually work ludicrously fast.

24. - Top - End - #54

Tranq guns take a few minutes to take effect, so if Muldoon was ordering their use when the Big One already had teeth and claws on a guy then he was basically accepting that the guy would die, pain and agitation from being darted isn't going to make her let go. Then again, movie tranqs usually work ludicrously fast.
    Even without movie tranqs, they're new animals with new biology they're not aware of, which makes tranqs super tricky to start with (this was pointed out in the novel). She was being shocked by about a dozen people with their prods already, so it seems like he was basically saying "throw everything we have at her".

25. - Top - End - #55
    Bugbear in the Playground

I have to say that relying solely on nonlethal / less-lethal weaponry to control large, dangerous carnivores strikes me as criminally negligent, especially without the excuse of these animals being members of some endangered species - this is a park full of genetically-engineered freaks that we're talking about, not some kind of wildlife reserve. It's not something I'd put past a short-sighted corporation, but even if these are multi-million-dollar or even more expensive animals (which might be true when factoring the costs of developing the facilities and cloning process as well as acquiring the initial DNA sample, but probably isn't anywhere near as true now that the facilities are built and the process is developed, if still imperfect, especially since it's presumably significantly easier to acquire the DNA needed for the cloning process from extant cloned animals than it is to go find a piece of amber containing a mosquito or whatever with the right DNA adequately preserved in its stomach) I have a hard time believing that a realistic cost analysis would say that it's more expensive to kill the animals than it is to risk staff or especially guests being seriously injured or killed by them, particularly since reasonable governments would almost certainly require the destruction of the animals involved in the incident anyways and likely shut the park down as well until convinced that safety would be improved - and that's without the legal headaches that would be brought on if it were to come out that the corporation's executive ordered that none of the animals would be killed under any circumstances and ignored the direct recommendation of his expert advisors that certain of the animals be destroyed.

Even if Hammond were against it, this is something his legal team and investors should have insisted on, at the bare minimum after the first known incident occurred, if for no other reason than to be able to point to it and say "look - we took reasonable precautions and corrective action; we aren't culpable, or at least aren't criminally- or culpably-negligent" if something happens again.
    Last edited by Aeson; 2022-06-16 at 12:38 PM.

26. - Top - End - #56

Quote Originally Posted by Aeson View Post
    I have to say that relying solely on nonlethal / less-lethal weaponry to control large, dangerous carnivores strikes me as criminally negligent, especially without the excuse of these animals being members of some endangered species - this is a park full of genetically-engineered freaks that we're talking about, not some kind of wildlife reserve. It's not something I'd put past a short-sighted corporation, but even if these are multi-million-dollar or even more expensive animals (which might be true when factoring the costs of developing the facilities and cloning process as well as acquiring the initial DNA sample, but probably isn't anywhere near as true now that the facilities are built and the process is developed, if still imperfect, especially since it's presumably significantly easier to acquire the DNA needed for the cloning process from extant cloned animals than it is to go find a piece of amber containing a mosquito or whatever with the right DNA adequately preserved in its stomach) I have a hard time believing that a realistic cost analysis would say that it's more expensive to kill the animals than it is to risk staff or especially guests being seriously injured or killed by them, particularly since reasonable governments would almost certainly require the destruction of the animals involved in the incident anyways and likely shut the park down as well until convinced that safety would be improved - and that's without the legal headaches that would be brought on if it were to come out that the corporation's executive ordered that none of the animals would be killed under any circumstances and ignored the direct recommendation of his expert advisors that certain of the animals be destroyed.

Even if Hammond were against it, this is something his legal team and investors should have insisted on, at the bare minimum after the first known incident occurred, if for no other reason than to be able to point to it and say "look - we took reasonable precautions and corrective action; we aren't culpable, or at least aren't criminally- or culpably-negligent" if something happens again.
    A large part of why the park was built in Costa Rica was to evade pesky laws as much as possible.

27. - Top - End - #57

A large part of why the park was built in Costa Rica was to evade pesky laws as much as possible.
    Even a banana republic will exert some degree of governmental oversight if the stink is big enough, and if it involves the death of one of their citizens I very much doubt that being based in Costa Rica is going to protect Hammond and InGen against civil - and quite possibly even criminal - suits brought in a place like the US or the European Union no matter how well-based his claims that they don't have jurisdiction may be.
    Last edited by Aeson; 2022-06-16 at 01:03 PM.

28. - Top - End - #58

Quote Originally Posted by Aeson View Post
    Even a banana republic will exert some degree of governmental oversight if the stink is big enough, and if it involves the death of one of their citizens I very much doubt that being based in Costa Rica is going to protect Hammond and InGen against civil - and quite possibly even criminal - suits brought in a place like the US or the European Union no matter how well-based his claims that they don't have jurisdiction may be.
    Their citizens were the ones dying during construction. Didn't much happen.

Also, lawsuits don't mean much without sound basis. Well based jurisdiction claims just means the lawshluit dies faster and with them spending less money on it.
    Last edited by Peelee; 2022-06-16 at 01:30 PM.

29. - Top - End - #59
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfPirate

I only rate what the movies tell me. But my joke here is that Hammond "spares no expense", but Nedry is clearly the lowest bidder offer too. By some margin based on their arguing. Which to me suggests that Hammond like Vizzini has some trouble with what words actually mean. Because someone who has to repeat something that often is clearly sparing some expenses. And accepting the lowest bid is almost guaranteed to cause things like this to happen.

30. - Top - End - #60

Also, lawsuits don't mean much without sound basis. Well based jurisdiction claims just means the lawshluit dies faster and with them spending less money on it.
    A Dutch court recently ordered Shell to pay damages to Nigerians for oil spills which occurred in the ***** Delta. Does the Netherlands have jurisdiction in Nigeria?

If InGen is an international company or a branch thereof, survivors or relatives of victims can probably pursue at least a civil case against the company somewhere other than Costa Rica. Depending on exactly what happened, they may even be able to pursue a criminal case - many countries assert some degree of extraterritorial jurisdiction for crimes involving their citizens and corporations, in part exactly because people have been known to leave a country for criminal purposes because, well, it's not a crime over there; there is also a degree of historical precedent for states being more willing to claim extraterritorial jurisdiction when government(s) which do have territorial jurisdiction are unwilling or unable to do anything or lack the laws to prosecute for whatever happened, especially after serious incidents where multiple people were killed. The guy who got killed by raptors at the start of the movie may be some nobody from Costa Rica whose demise won't cause the US to so much as waggle a finger at InGen without significant prompting, but governmental reaction to the events later in the movie when multiple presumptive US citizens are endangered or killed would likely be rather different.

I only rate what the movies tell me. But my joke here is that Hammond "spares no expense", but Nedry is clearly the lowest bidder offer too. By some margin based on their arguing. Which to me suggests that Hammond like Vizzini has some trouble with what words actually mean. Because someone who has to repeat something that often is clearly sparing some expenses. And accepting the lowest bid is almost guaranteed to cause things like this to happen.
    Hammond clearly heard "spare no expense" and thought that the meaning of "spare" intended was "refrain from destroying."
    Last edited by Aeson; 2022-06-16 at 05:06 PM.