New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
  1. - Top - End - #91
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: What PC class should a well-designed ruler have?

I understand a lot of the previous posters choices, but I'm gonna go against the grain, as apparently I do most of the time.

I think a level 5 to 20 Adept makes the most sense as a city leader, obviously level depending on city size and population. He would have a couple Experts and Aristocrats as close consorts. Likely a strong guard captain higher level Warrior.

I have a bunch of reasons here.

Regardless of high magic, low magic, technology level of the campaign world, a Wizard of any level has better things to do than run/own/admin a city. A Cleric has better things to do, unless his divine duty has been decided that it serves greater purpose. Even the lowly Fighter has better things to do. What adventurer dreams of running a city in place of slaying Mythic Dragons and Demon Lords? How does running that city get you more power? That is the crux of adventuring. Wealth is great but we all know gaining power is better! They took the time to create the NPC classes for a reason! I'm not saying every single city leader would be NPC classes, but it just wouldn't make sense if we had high level adventurers just settle into a city and just retire. How many opportunities to defend the city can you have before it's like:
    "Ring the bell the Giants are at the gates again!"
    "Nevermind. Mayor Elminster just teleported on the portcullis and exploded them all before we could react!"
    "Ok then, call in the morgue trolley again."

Leading a city in real life sounds sweet because we don't have dragons to slay!
    Quote Originally Posted by McMindflayer View Post
    Of course, this still doesn't answer the question... "How does it POOP?"
    Quote Originally Posted by TheFurith View Post
    I roll a swim check on the street. Why not, right? Through a series of rolls I rob a bunch of people of 75g. I didn't actually notice their existence but I swam over there and did it anyway because this guy couldn't make sense if he tried.

2. - Top - End - #92
    Firbolg in the Playground

He'd make a good mouthpiece for the actual ruler, at least.

3. - Top - End - #93
    Dwarf in the Playground

Unfortunately adapt does not have skills he wants.

Only bard or rogue does.

So fighter 4 than 4 of bard or rogue

4. - Top - End - #94
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by KoDT69 View Post
    I understand a lot of the previous posters choices, but I'm gonna go against the grain, as apparently I do most of the time.

I think a level 5 to 20 Adept makes the most sense as a city leader, obviously level depending on city size and population. He would have a couple Experts and Aristocrats as close consorts. Likely a strong guard captain higher level Warrior.

I have a bunch of reasons here.

Regardless of high magic, low magic, technology level of the campaign world, a Wizard of any level has better things to do than run/own/admin a city. A Cleric has better things to do, unless his divine duty has been decided that it serves greater purpose. Even the lowly Fighter has better things to do. What adventurer dreams of running a city in place of slaying Mythic Dragons and Demon Lords? How does running that city get you more power? That is the crux of adventuring. Wealth is great but we all know gaining power is better! They took the time to create the NPC classes for a reason! I'm not saying every single city leader would be NPC classes, but it just wouldn't make sense if we had high level adventurers just settle into a city and just retire. How many opportunities to defend the city can you have before it's like:
    "Ring the bell the Giants are at the gates again!"
    "Nevermind. Mayor Elminster just teleported on the portcullis and exploded them all before we could react!"
    "Ok then, call in the morgue trolley again."

Leading a city in real life sounds sweet because we don't have dragons to slay!
    It's not like even a "normal" king does all the management himself. He might set overall direction of policy but any sizeable country that doesn't run on literal or figurative magic is going to have any army of bureaucrats handling the minutia.

And both in real history and in the fantasies inspired by it, kings often fought with their troops on battlefields. A lot of them died there, even.
    If any idiot ever tells you that life would be meaningless without death, Hyperion recommends killing them!