New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

BardGuy

Default Class Enhancement Tomes

I found this file in my homebrew folder last night marked as "incomplete," and last modified in 2020. At that time, a thread had popped up in which a player mentioned having been awarded a tome that not only increased their primary ability score, but also granted a permanent enhancement to some of their class features. They were curious if this item actually existed in any of the books or if it was a homebrew that their DM had cooked up for them, because they couldn't find a similar item anywhere. Apparently I liked the idea enough at the time that I decided to steal it for myself, promptly and hastily spitballing ideas for three such tomes. Then the project was left forgotten and undisturbed for over two years until yesterday, and now I have finally concocted such tomes for all of the 11 core base classes.

I haven't listed crafting prerequisites or market prices for any of these for a number of reasons. First and foremost, my intention for these tomes is that they should be regarded as minor artifacts. These are not meant to be readily available for the players to craft for themselves or pick up at Ye Olde Magick Mart - they are something that should only be given to the player when the DM finds it appropriate, such as after completing a particularly harrowing arc of a campaign. They do not grant levels outright as a Book of Exalted Deeds might, but they enhance class features in ways that are generally worth several levels worth of progression.

As an additional side note before I start copy+pasting, most of these were written under the influence of some degree of sleep deprivation while spitballing ideas with a friend online. None of these are based on or balanced against anything in particular, even against each other. If anything seems particularly underwhelming or overpowered, feel free to suggest an adjustment or alternative.

Spoiler: Barbarian's Book of Brutality
    Show

This rough collection of cryptic markings functions only for a character with class levels of barbarian. A barbarian who attempts to read this book for a total of at least 48 hours over a minimum of 6 days becomes so infuriated by his inability to decipher its contents that the strength and constitution bonuses granted by his barbarian rage increase by 2. In addition, gains a +2 inherent bonus to Strength and may rage one additional time per day.
    The book is just as infuriating for a barbarian who has invested skill points in literacy, as the book was written by a barbarian who had not invested in literacy himself.

Spoiler: Bard's Book of Ballads
    Show

This songbook functions only for a character with class levels of bard. A bard who reads this book, which takes 48 hours over a minimum of 6 days, gains a +2 inherent bonus to Charisma. In addition, the bonus granted by his inspire courage ability increases by 1. Finally, he may incorporate verbal and somatic components into his performances to cast spells without breaking concentration on an ongoing bardic music effect. A spell cast this way must have a casting time of a standard action or faster. He may not maintain concentration on both his bardic music and a spell at the same time; if the spell requires concentration, he must choose which effect to maintain and which effect to end on his next turn.

Spoiler: Cleric's Celestial Codex
    Show

This tome functions only for a character with class levels of cleric. A cleric who finishes this book, which takes 48 hours over a minimum of 6 days, gains a +2 inherent bonus to Wisdom. In addition, he gains the supernatural ability to turn or rebuke outsiders based on his alignment.
    A good cleric (or a neutral cleric who channels positive energy) can turn or destroy evil outsiders as a good cleric turns undead and rebuke, command, or bolster good outsiders as an evil cleric rebukes undead.
    An evil cleric (or a neutral cleric who channels negative energy) can turn or destroy good outsiders as a good cleric turns undead and rebuke, command, or bolster evil outsiders as an evil cleric rebukes undead.
    He may use this ability a total number of times per day equal to 3 + his Charisma modifier.
    A cleric who loses his abilities retains his bonus to Wisdom, but loses the other benefits granted by this tome until he atones.

Spoiler: Druid's Dire Diary
    Show

This journal functions only for a character with class levels of druid. A druid who finishes this book, which takes 48 hours over a minimum of 6 days, gains a +2 inherent bonus to Wisdom. In addition, she gains one additional use of wild shape per day and may wild shape into creatures up to one size category larger than her normal maximum.
    A druid who loses her abilities retains her bonus to Wisdom, but loses the other benefits granted by this tome until she atones.

Spoiler: Fighter's Facile Field Guide
    Show

This book functions only for a character with class levels of fighter. A fighter who finishes this book, which takes 48 hours over a minimum of 6 days, gains a +2 inherent bonus to Strength. In addition, he gains a new fighter bonus feat.
    The fighter may exchange the feat granted by this tome for a different feat at no cost any time he has 24 hours of downtime. When he exchanges this feat for a new one he also loses access to any feats or abilities that required the lost feat as a prerequisite. He regains access to those abilities when the prerequisite feat is restored, either by changing this feat back or by acquiring the prerequisite feat through class levels.

Spoiler: Monk's Martial Arts Manual
    Show

This tome functions only for a character with class levels of monk. A monk who finishes this book, which takes 48 hours over a minimum of 6 days, gains a +2 inherent bonus to Wisdom. In addition, her unarmed damage increases by one step and she may make one additional attack at her highest attack bonus when using flurry of blows.

Spoiler: Paladin's Pamphlet of Purity
    Show

This book functions only for a character with class levels of paladin. A paladin who finishes this book, which takes 48 hours over a minimum of 6 days, gains a +2 inherent bonus to Strength. In addition, when she uses her smite evil ability she gains the effects of the holy weapon property for the attack. Finally, all of her attacks are always considered lawful and good for the purpose of overcoming damage reduction.
    A variant paladin (freedom, tyranny, or slaughter) adds the holy or unholy weapon property to her smite attack as appropriate for her alignment, and her attacks are considered to be of her own alignment on both axes for the purpose of overcoming damage reduction.
    A paladin who loses his abilities retains her bonus to Strength, but loses the other benefits granted by this tome until he atones.

Spoiler: Ranger's Reconnaissance Report
    Show

This book functions only for a character with class levels of ranger. A ranger who finishes this book, which takes 48 hours over a minimum of 6 days, gains a +2 inherent bonus to Dexterity. In addition, his favored enemy class feature now grants him a +2 bonus on attack rolls against chosen creatures type, as well as a +2 bonus on saving throws against all extraordinary, spell-like, and supernatural abilites of such creatures.

Spoiler: Rogue's Ruinous Writings
    Show

This collection of tactical diagrams functions only for a character with class levels of rogue. A rogue who finishes this book, which takes 48 hours over a minimum of 6 days, gains a +2 inherent bonus to Dexterity. In addition, she deals an additional 2d6 points of damage on a successful sneak attack and she gains a bonus to search, spot, and disable device checks made to find and disarm traps equal to the bonus granted by trap sense.

Spoiler: Sorcerer's Scroll of Spellpower
    Show

This bundle of scrolls functions only for a character with class levels of sorcerer. A sorcerer who finishes these scrolls, which takes 48 hours over a minimum of 6 days, gains a +2 inherent bonus to Charisma. In addition, he casts sorcerer spells at +2 caster level, and the maximum caster level of his spells' effects is increased by 2 (for example, Fireball now deals a maximum of 12d6 damage and Magic Missile may now produce up to 6 missiles).

Spoiler: Wondrous Works of Wizardry
    Show

This collection of journals functions only for a character with class levels of wizard. A wizard who studies these journals, which takes 48 hours over a minimum of 6 days, gains a +2 inherent bonus to Intelligence.
    In addition, the wizard gains the ability to etch spells into her mind and record a "mental spellbook" from which she can prepare her spells. These spells are accessible to her even if her spellbook is lost as if she had chosen these spells when taking the Spell Mastery feat.
    Etching spells into her mind takes as long as copying a spell from her spellbook into a new spellbook, but does not require any expensive ink or tools. The wizard may record a number of spells for each spell level equal to the bonus spells per day she gains from her intelligence modifier. The wizard may also wipe any spell from her mental spellbook as a free action to make room for a different spell.
    Last edited by Vaern; 2024-03-14 at 01:13 PM. Reason: Accidentally restored a previously saved post at some point while editing and forgot to change the title back

2. - Top - End - #2

Chimera

Default Re: Class Enhancement Tomes

I really like these. Do you plan on adding more for some of the less loved classes?
    Native Sha'ir enthusiast. NO GENIE WARLOCK DOESNT COUNT!

Quote Originally Posted by Sparky McDibben View Post
    I am unburdened of my salt, and I rise like a bland-ass potato chip from the ashes of my discontent.
    Rate my homebrew: https://forums.giantitp.com/showsing...&postcount=323

3. - Top - End - #3

BardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Jervis View Post
    I really like these. Do you plan on adding more for some of the less loved classes?
    I wasn't planning on it, but I might come back to it if I get some extra free time. Maybe I'll leave the file marked as incomplete and stumble back into it in another two years :p
    "Technically correct" is the best kind of correct.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

The writing for the barbarian one is genuinely hilarious.
    My homebrew:

Spoiler
    Show

Completed:
    ToB disciplines:

The Narrow Bridge
    The Broken Blade

Prestige classess:
    Disciple of Karsus -PrC for Karsites.
    The Seekers of Lost Swords and the Preserver of Future Blades Two interelated Tome of Battle Prcs,
    Master of the Hidden Seal - Binder/Divine hybrid
    Knight of the Grave- Necromancy using Gish

Worthwhile links:

Age of Warriors