New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567
  1. - Top - End - #181
    Dwarf in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Default Re: Final Fantasy Reimagining (Still Recruiting)

The script was essentially lost on Acantha, who wasn't unfamiliar with being left out of something. Arc being at a loss in this field, that was new. Tracking down somebody? That was definitely in her wheelhouse. As arc cast his spell, she grabbed him by the collar and leapt to catch up to their metal snake.

2. - Top - End - #182
    Barbarian in the Playground

Chimera

The aforementioned scholar, Dwver had noticed the folks eyeing the God Stone. Curious, he made his way to our protagonists and with a smile, began to speak. "Oh, out of towners!"
    "Welcome!"
    "You seem interested in this."
    I am ArlEammon. I've been here since 2004, but I've lost access to my other account.

3. - Top - End - #183
    Orc in the Playground

Arctomiy allowed his magic to scan the stone – and indeed, he did get something back. It was no ordinary rock, with magic within. That was about everything he could get from it before he was grabbed and dragged along by his bodyguard, letting out a quiet urk as his air was cut off for a moment and he scrambled to keep up with Acantha.

He certainly hoped the dwarf that had approached and talked to them was enough for her to stop, so he could finally squirm free and do his best to first adjust his lopsided hat and glasses, and then the rest of his clothes. They had gotten all out of place and ruffled!
    "Euh… Y-Yes. Yes, that is right," Arctomiy wheezed, before clearing out his throat with a cough and giving Acantha a quick glare. He'd have to give her a lecture about proper manners later!
    "With the new development and… Chaos cultists, the powers that this stone of yours has according to legends could be an immeasurable tool in the fight against them," he continued, his gaze flicking back to the dwarf as he straightened his back properly,
    "Ah, but my manners. I am Arctomiy, of the de Labrousses."

4. - Top - End - #184
    Colossus in the Playground

Connie waves to the dwarf. "Yeah, we're trying to figure out how to deal with cults and crazies and all sorts of stuff. I'm Connie, by the way-nice to meet you, Mr.!"
    I have a LOT of Homebrew!

Spoiler: Former Avatars
    Show
    Spoiler: Avatar (Not In Use) By Linkele
    Show

Spoiler: Individual Avatar Pics
    Show

5. - Top - End - #185
    Titan in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

"Oh I see. Yes, that's true, but it's only part of the weapon our people used against Chaos all those years ago."
    "There's something more."

6. - Top - End - #186
    Orc in the Playground

"Such as…?" Arctomiy tried to probe, seeing if the old dwarf was keen on sharing more.

7. - Top - End - #187
    Titan in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Parlortricks View Post
    "Such as…?" Arctomiy tried to probe, seeing if the old dwarf was keen on sharing more.
    "It's complicated, but to simply it, there is a piece of Chaos embedded in the stone that reminds him of a time when he was good, before he was evil."
    "Even many of his own cult don't know Chaos was once a person who was noble and kind."

8. - Top - End - #188
    Orc in the Playground

There was a slow blink from Arctomiy before the words really sunk in.
    "D-Definitely the first time I am hearing anything like that!" He exclaimed. True, he wasn't exactly a scholar of Chaos, but that was not a theory he had heard presented anywhere. Something that even the cultists themselves hadn't heard? Could it actually be true, or was it just yet another assumption, or a myth the dwarves in this town had?
    "I have always thought Chaos to have been… An eternal concept that existed before there really were, well, people."

9. - Top - End - #189

"How do you know people weren't made in Chaos' image?" Connie asks. "If it came before us, wouldn't it make sense that we aped it?"

Show
    Show

Show

10. - Top - End - #190
    Titan in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

There was a slow blink from Arctomiy before the words really sunk in.
    "D-Definitely the first time I am hearing anything like that!" He exclaimed. True, he wasn't exactly a scholar of Chaos, but that was not a theory he had heard presented anywhere. Something that even the cultists themselves hadn't heard? Could it actually be true, or was it just yet another assumption, or a myth the dwarves in this town had?
    "I have always thought Chaos to have been… An eternal concept that existed before there really were, well, people."
    Quote Originally Posted by JNAProductions View Post
    "How do you know people weren't made in Chaos' image?" Connie asks. "If it came before us, wouldn't it make sense that we aped it?"
    The scholar gives a slight giggle. "No. See, Chaos was once a man, known for his skill at arms, strength and magic many eons ago. His name was Garland."
    "As he grew old, he pined for the old days and for his youth. Thus, he searched for power to regain his youth. However, the wizard, Noah, blessed him with a mysterious gift called "Mortality".
    'Noah meant to extend his life to be a very long and prosperous one, but Garland misunderstood."
    "He believed Noah cursed him to die."
    "Chaos, the force, entered Garland through an evil ritual, and Garland became "Chaos" the entity."

11. - Top - End - #191
    Orc in the Playground

Arctomiy listened. It didn't seem like he was completely off the mark – there was Chaos as the eternal, primal force, just like there was Chaos some crazy cultists worshipped. Different, yet according to this story, the same now.
    "Well. That definitely is a… Stretch of the meaning of gift," he cleared his throat. It was a lot to take in. Which part was a myth, which part was the truth – or was there actually any truth in there? He didn't know enough to be able to say. That was a position he disliked finding himself in.
    "So… You say that there's a part of the mortal man in that stone that is the source of the power it has over Chaos…?"

12. - Top - End - #192
    Titan in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Arctomiy listened. It didn't seem like he was completely off the mark – there was Chaos as the eternal, primal force, just like there was Chaos some crazy cultists worshipped. Different, yet according to this story, the same now.
    "Well. That definitely is a… Stretch of the meaning of gift," he cleared his throat. It was a lot to take in. Which part was a myth, which part was the truth – or was there actually any truth in there? He didn't know enough to be able to say. That was a position he disliked finding himself in.
    "So… You say that there's a part of the mortal man in that stone that is the source of the power it has over Chaos…?"
    "Even I can only do conjecture on what exactly is in the God Stone."
    "Some say it's a mysterious crystal, others say it's his blackened heart."

13. - Top - End - #193
    Orc in the Playground

Arctomiy's gaze started to drift back in the direction of the stone. Was there truly something physical inside it, something that was the source of everything…?
    "W-Well, the point right now is about whether or not it can be used to our advantage. Perhaps if we can harness its power somehow…"

14. - Top - End - #194
    Titan in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

"According to tradition, we just did something like that in City Hall just now." Dvwer stated matter of factly.
    "We all did prayers to our ancestors for protection, and apparently, the God Stone answers."

15. - Top - End - #195

"How does it answer? Audio, visuals, telepathic resonance?" Connie asks. "Or is this a 'faith' thing?"

Show
    Show

Show

16. - Top - End - #196
    Titan in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

"How does it answer? Audio, visuals, telepathic resonance?" Connie asks. "Or is this a 'faith' thing?"
    "It's something magical, for sure, but it's not religious like we used to think it is. I only said "prayers" by habit."
    "THere are a few religionists that still have the Godstone in a place with their faith."

17. - Top - End - #197

Connie nods, muttering "Good, good."

She then speaks a little louder, asking "How do you know it's working, then? And is there any way to use it offensively, or at least to protect more than just the dwarven home?"

Show
    Show

Show

18. - Top - End - #198
    Titan in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Connie nods, muttering "Good, good."

She then speaks a little louder, asking "How do you know it's working, then? And is there any way to use it offensively, or at least to protect more than just the dwarven home?"
    "The Godstone works because we local inhabitants can still live here. This city is surrounded by incredibly dangerous wild life and monsters. Even more so than some of the more dangerous locations on the surface world."
    "The Gostone keeps them out."

19. - Top - End - #199
    Orc in the Playground

Arctomiy had listened to the exchange, his lips now pursed in thought.
    "In that case, it would be difficult to remove it from this location," unless they were willing to sacrifice the village,
    "If we can't find a way to either boost its range of curse-repelling or a way to reproduce it in a form that can be shared, the only way for us to use it against Chaos would be to bring everyone here. Which… Isn't very plausible."