New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Barbarian in the Playground

Chimera

Default Final Fantasy Reimagining (Still Recruiting)

Final Fantasy Reimagining

Now, in the Temple Of The Great Hyne, our protagonists follow world renowned Archaeologist Doctor Unne and his accompaniment of other scholars and assistants, where the dear Doctor has made the most historical archaeological breakthrough in the history of archaeology.

So far, various subterranean pests, timid monsters and the like have bothered the excavation teams, but there has been no fighting. Some of the creatures had stolen rations, or caused some trouble, however. The small army of scholars, adventurers and guards has been at camp at the Great Temple of Hyne for four days now.

A solid stone structure outside the Temple is being used for camp now. According to scholars, it was The City Hall of an old city once used by the Ancients. Perhaps the Dwarve's ancestors?

The Old City Hall

The protagonists are there, in an off center room at the Old City Hall. For some reason, Richard Davis is not there. However, screams can be heard in the central place of the Old City Hall.
    Last edited by DarthArminius; 2022-06-18 at 05:44 PM.
    I am ArlEammon. I've been here since 2004, but I've lost access to my other account.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Orc in the Playground

Default Re: Final Fantasy Reimagining (Still Recruiting)

And there, in the makeshift kitchen and storage room, a certain young noble had found himself quite… Bored. As a part of the old ruins, even this room had been of some interest to him, but that time had long passed with the days they had spent there. Arctomiy had managed to find the best spot to laze about – and that wasn't any of the actual chairs in there, heavens no. Those things were as uncomfortable as ever. No, the bag of… Whatever soft set onto a wooden box made for a much nicer cushion to sit and lean upon. Who cared if it was food that someone had to eat later?

Arctomiy's legs dangled off the edge as he twirled an ink pen in his hand, its tip long since dried of ink. His eyes were reading through the thick bundle of notes, but that wasn't enough to keep his mind occupied. Nor his mouth. He had parked himself close to his bodyguard on this excavation, Acantha, and she was the one who had to listen to his constant stream of words. Well, the others in the room may have had to do that, too, but she was the one everything was directed to.

"And seriously, can you believe him? Acted like he owned the place! Didn't even know who I was. There was absolutely no way I would have stooped so low and done what he asked, so despite that initial shock, I let him have a piece of my mind. Served him right. I'm hungry, by the way. See if you can find something fresh. Fruit would be good. Peel and cut one up for me. Hey. Are you listening?"

Arctomiy wasn't even looking up from his reading material. Perhaps, despite all the talking, he was actually managing to keep reading with the way his eyes actually seemed to follow the words on the pages.

Until… What was clearly a scream made his eyes grow wide and look up from the papers. Shrill, horrifying shrieks, multiple of them – was it a monster, or a human? Which one was worse? Real or fake? He hoped for the latter, of course, but the way his skin had turned pale and clammy, how his blood had suddenly turned cold… It was difficult to convince himself of that. Arctomiy finally looked at Acantha with fear in his eyes, and for once, he had been silenced.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Colossus in the Playground

Connie, who's only recently arrived, starts to slither as fast as she can towards the screams. "I'm coming! I'm here to help!" she calls ahead.
    I have a LOT of Homebrew!

Spoiler: Former Avatars
    Show
    Spoiler: Avatar (Not In Use) By Linkele
    Show

Spoiler: Individual Avatar Pics
    Show

4. - Top - End - #4
    Troll in the Playground

Eskha's been unnerved ever since the second day or so of their expedition; the longer she stayed in one place, the more chances she'll be discovered by someone, something she didn't spot, she thinks. Still, she has to do this -- a job's a job, and she's running low on funds. She's been spending the last few days making sure her gadgets are scattered around the site, running security for people -- so she's got eyes when something unexpected happens, like a monster attack. Still, the shriek does get her jumpy, and she hurries towards the source of the shriek, the gunblade drawn in her hand. She checks the camera feeds with her other hand, on a little screen, to see if she can spot anything.

5. - Top - End - #5

Chimera

Quote Originally Posted by Merilan View Post
    Eskha's been unnerved ever since the second day or so of their expedition; the longer she stayed in one place, the more chances she'll be discovered by someone, something she didn't spot, she thinks. Still, she has to do this -- a job's a job, and she's running low on funds. She's been spending the last few days making sure her gadgets are scattered around the site, running security for people -- so she's got eyes when something unexpected happens, like a monster attack. Still, the shriek does get her jumpy, and she hurries towards the source of the shriek, the gunblade drawn in her hand. She checks the camera feeds with her other hand, on a little screen, to see if she can spot anything.
    There are already a dozen dead guards, with a single dead scholar joining them. There are several more guards injured and laying on the ground. Currently as the group, and the creature named Connie finds their way in the main hall. They arrive to see a startling sight. It's Richard, the Red Coat Captain. He's opening fire on the remaining guards, and it's clear he's been the source of the terror. He barely seems to have a scratch on him.
    I am ArlEammon. I've been here since 2004, but I've lost access to my other account.

6. - Top - End - #6

"Hey! Stop that, you!" Connie shouts, moving to place herself in between the captain and any remaining living targets.

Show
    Show

Show

7. - Top - End - #7

Chimera

Two red coat soldiers, alarmed at Richard's behavior, are both relieved to see what appeared to be one of Cid's creations attempting to stop the slaughter. "Sir. We regret this order for you to lay down your arms and come with us." Both of their bayonet rifles were aimed at Red's person. Biggs, a five foot eleven and a half stood two inches taller than Wedge. From behind the two red coats, a White Mage woman gasped at the carnage. Biggs wore a single moustache, with no beard, while Wedge was totally unshaven.

The white mage regained herself. "I have no idea why you'd snap like this, Red." She scolded.
    Last edited by DarthArminius; 2022-06-20 at 02:24 PM.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Troll in the Playground

Eskha grimaces and runs onto the scene, though her instinct is to duck behind some crates for cover the moment she spots the gun in Richard's hand. Her eyes widen as Connie dashes into the scene, though. "Connie, it's dangerous!" she calls desperately for her friend, but pauses as two more red coat soldiers and a white mage woman arrives on scene. "We need to try to save those that we can still save...!"

9. - Top - End - #9
    Dwarf in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

As bored as Arctomiy might have been, he'd have to cross the endless gulf that Acantha viewed to reach the ennui she'd achieved. Half-attention to his endless stream of words had given way to a restless fidget, then to an agressive disinterest, and, finally, to vacant staring. Her legs were staring to go numb, but she knew, deep in the pit of her soul, any movement might provoke more words.

No, this was an endurance contest to see just who could pass out first. Did Arc know he won with a few sentences?

"I'm hungry, by the way. See if you can find something fresh. Fruit would be good. Peel and cut one up for me. Hey. Are you listening?"

She was shocked by the intensity of the outrage that'd taken her. If she gripped the shaft of her spear any tighter it would've snapped in half. She wasn't going to kill him, her dearest friend, just maim him.

"Did you just order me to make you a fruit bowl like a common maid?"

It was a question that would never get an answer as the shots rang out and the screams followed. In an instant everything changed. Acantha could see Arc lose all his snobbish bravado as his fear took him. He, in turn, could see the anger leave her face with only genuine concern.

She was off like a comet after that, blazing towards the source of the conflict. Corridors, and bodies, flashed by as she skidded to a halt in the central hall. She didn't understand Richard's sudden change and she didn't need to process it. The only thing she knew for certain was a rebuttal to Eskha's statement.

"Then we save them by stopping him!"

With that, she charged the Red Coat captain...

10. - Top - End - #10
    Orc in the Playground

And off she was, rushing out of the room to go check the source of the screams. Arctomiy, in turn, did not want to be left alone and defenseless, though it definitely took him a moment before he really caught up with what had happened and slid off the crate, leaving the notes behind as he dashed out of the door. Keeping up with Acantha was no easy task, especially for someone like him who, in general, did not do any running. Adrenaline coursing through his veins was powerful in moving him faster than he should have, forcing him to hold onto his hat. But it wasn't enough, the distance between the two growing until Acantha finally came to a stop.

And so did Arctomiy, gasping for air as his lungs burned and his heart felt like it was going to crawl out of his throat or punch through his chest. His legs were already feeling the burn and his vision felt hazy. Perhaps it staying that way would have been a blessing to him. His downcast eyes slowly but surely started to take flick around the floor, noticing the unmoving bodies. The scent of blood hit his nose next – or perhaps it was just the realization of what he was looking at.

He let out a gasp, as he took a step back, finally noticing the full scale of the carnage. It took a moment for his brain to piece everything together, especially when there was some kind of… Mechanical monster in there with them. An easy culprit to blame, but there was not a speck of blood on it. No, the one with the bloodied sword was… A familiar man, standing there rather menacingly with many gathered around him to stop him.
    "D-Davis! Have you lost your mind?!" He managed to squeak. He didn't really need an answer. Surely, he already knew.

Arctomiy bit his lower lip. It was fine. It was going to be fine! They had the numbers on their side!

11. - Top - End - #11

Chimera

Quote Originally Posted by Parlortricks View Post
    And off she was, rushing out of the room to go check the source of the screams. Arctomiy, in turn, did not want to be left alone and defenseless, though it definitely took him a moment before he really caught up with what had happened and slid off the crate, leaving the notes behind as he dashed out of the door. Keeping up with Acantha was no easy task, especially for someone like him who, in general, did not do any running. Adrenaline coursing through his veins was powerful in moving him faster than he should have, forcing him to hold onto his hat. But it wasn't enough, the distance between the two growing until Acantha finally came to a stop.

And so did Arctomiy, gasping for air as his lungs burned and his heart felt like it was going to crawl out of his throat or punch through his chest. His legs were already feeling the burn and his vision felt hazy. Perhaps it staying that way would have been a blessing to him. His downcast eyes slowly but surely started to take flick around the floor, noticing the unmoving bodies. The scent of blood hit his nose next – or perhaps it was just the realization of what he was looking at.

He let out a gasp, as he took a step back, finally noticing the full scale of the carnage. It took a moment for his brain to piece everything together, especially when there was some kind of… Mechanical monster in there with them. An easy culprit to blame, but there was not a speck of blood on it. No, the one with the bloodied sword was… A familiar man, standing there rather menacingly with many gathered around him to stop him.
    "D-Davis! Have you lost your mind?!" He managed to squeak. He didn't really need an answer. Surely, he already knew.

Arctomiy bit his lower lip. It was fine. It was going to be fine! They had the numbers on their side!
    "You have your orders." Were the words that rang through Richard's ears. Wordlessly he opened fire on another wounded guard, who worthlessly tried to shield himself with his hands, who was now dead. With a pained expression, Richard pulled his fire arm faster than the others could react, except for Biggs and Wedge, who immediately began firing into the Red Coat Captain. Richard tanked both shots to his chest, yet the bullets did little harm him. He quickly aimed his pistol at Biggs and Wedge, before they could react. He would have opened fire, wounding one of them, had he any ammunition left. He let out a loud sigh of exasperation. His family and kingdom was on the line. "You don't understand.", the Red Coat thought. They have everything dear to me. He quick drew his sword and sprang with supernatural speed, ignoring Connie, towards the pair. Lucky for the them, Anna, the White Mage hammered Richard, literally, with a warhammer.

Were it not for her blow, one of them would be either severely wounded or dead.
    Last edited by DarthArminius; 2022-06-21 at 01:23 PM.

12. - Top - End - #12

Connie snakes her tail out, aiming to trip and entrap the villain. She tries to form words, but can't think of anything that would actually help the situation.

Show
    Show

Show

13. - Top - End - #13

Chimera

Quote Originally Posted by JNAProductions View Post
    Connie snakes her tail out, aiming to trip and entrap the villain. She tries to form words, but can't think of anything that would actually help the situation.
    Well, it works. Richard Ethan Davis is caught in Connie's tail. He attempts a powerful struggle, but Connie seems to be stronger. She needs to strain a little to keep him contained. Meanwhile, Biggs and Wedge look at each other with surprise.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Orc in the Playground

Arctomiy was not able to spring into action very fast. It was not everyday he came across a crazed madman seeming to be hellbent on killing them all. And never before had he seen so many… Dead. He swallowed, the earlier run having made him very lightheaded – or so he told himself, at least.

But seeing the strange mechanical… Snake-thing lunge at Davis and seeming to be able to quite securely contain him gave the young noble some confidence to stop his hands from trembling. Well, at least try to stop them from trembling, that was.
    "Get him some restraints!" Acrtomiy called out to anyone in particular who was able to handle such a command – not that anyone really needed him telling anyone that. He himself, of course, did not want to go anywhere near Davis. But perhaps even such a dire situation could make someone as selfish and spoiled as Arctomiy act, as he went around desperately looking at the fallen people, doing his best to heal them with his magic…

At least the ones that were still alive.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Troll in the Playground

Eskha hurries as well, her gunblade out to try to take a clear shot at Richard -- but pauses once Connie restricts the man. Moving next to Arctomiy, she procures a medicinal kit and starts work on those she believes she can still save -- the reactor in the gunblade focuses as errant energies are drawn around the air, synthesised into basic Cure magic. "This should do in a pinch... come on..."

16. - Top - End - #16

Chimera

Ominous Voice
    An evil, disembodied force speaks to Richard. Only the protagonists can hear it. "You have failed me."
    "You know the price of failure. Your kingdom, your family and all your loved ones are now in my hands to do as I see fit." The evil voice was supernaturally ugly. After hearing it, the party's life force sinks down low, and they find it difficult to stand. The white mage, Anna is concerned as the party members are now all staggered to their knees. On the other side of the Hall, Doctor Unne arrives with his own retinue of guards. Two dragoons accompany of him, along with a handful of other warriors, and a couple of black mages.
    When he finally approaches closer, he notices the multiple dead guards and a dead scholar, as well as Connie fighting to restrain the Red Coat Captain.
    "What in the Dark World is going on here?" Unne demands to know.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Orc in the Playground

Arctomiy scrambled to check up on the injured people, giving them a slight push on the shoulder to flip them over if necessary – or plain to just see if they were still alive. The first one that only revealed a lot of blood that no longer pooled out from their wounds, along with a very lifeless limp made him yelp and retreat rather quickly. He wouldn't have been able to handle too many of those, so it was only a good thing he could find someone he actually could try to help quickly. A green-ish hue of magic enveloped his hands as he started to pour his magic into closing the wounds, and Arctomiy did his best to try to calm his nerves and ragged breath, only focusing on the magic.

A focus that was broken by a voice. A horrible, hideous voice, where just hearing it could make one's blood run cold. Arctomiy stopped his magic, looking around for the source, though he was unable to find it. And soon, he couldn't even try to keep looking. Suddenly, it was like his breath was stolen from him, a great force pushing him down – or perhaps it was just his body that suddenly went awfully limp and weak, unable to even resist gravity anymore. Arctomiy found himself on all fours, his arms shaking as he did his best to try to stop himself from falling to the ground completely.

He couldn't really respond to anyone or anything happening around him at the moment, as he gasped for air.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Troll in the Playground

Eskha is glad to have Arctomiy's help, as she mentally triages those she can help; bleeding is stemmed, bandages come out, and synthesised para-magic Cures buy her time. As she works, though--

She hears that voice, and suddenly everything is heavy. She didn't think of herself as someone who could sense such things as 'palpable evil', given her inability to use or even sense magic, but... it's there. Fortunately, she's already kneeling, but she has to force herself to not be pulled over her patient. "What was that voice...? It spoke of failure, as if it was manipulating that man, Richard."

19. - Top - End - #19

"Hurry-please!" she says. "I don't want anyone else getting shot!"

Her coils continue to tighten around the red-coated captain, but she knows that while she might have the edge in raw power, her technique is unpracticed. He might be able to find a way out.

Show
    Show

Show

20. - Top - End - #20
    Dwarf in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

When Richard pulled the sword, Acantha knew it was the best time for her to continue her approach. Or she would have. The voice or the presence, whatever it could be called, took the dragoon straight to her knee mid stride.

Magic, forever the bane of her existence.

Once her vision stopped swimming, Acantha crawled over to Richard and Connie. The naga's backup was here, as well as the ever late reinforcements. With more strength returning by the second, she grappled the Red Coat in tandem with the construct.

"I don't want to get shot either. Can you get his other leg?"

21. - Top - End - #21

Chimera

Quote Originally Posted by herastor View Post
    When Richard pulled the sword, Acantha knew it was the best time for her to continue her approach. Or she would have. The voice or the presence, whatever it could be called, took the dragoon straight to her knee mid stride.

Magic, forever the bane of her existence.

Once her vision stopped swimming, Acantha crawled over to Richard and Connie. The naga's backup was here, as well as the ever late reinforcements. With more strength returning by the second, she grappled the Red Coat in tandem with the construct.

"I don't want to get shot either. Can you get his other leg?"
    "Ugh. I'm too late."
    "It's Chaos. The god, Chaos."
    "He has my wife and the royal family in his control."
    "Forget about me, you have to get to the Royal Family!"
    Unne looked uneasy. "It looks like Richard's gone psychotic."

22. - Top - End - #22

"Are you still gonna shoot us if I let you go?" Connie asks.

Show
    Show

Show

23. - Top - End - #23
    Orc in the Playground

It was a struggle, but Arctomiy finally had enough strength in his arms to push himself to his knees and then all the way to his feet. His legs still felt wobbly and his head felt woozy, but it seemed like the situation was… Over. There had been many casualties – though he tried to not think about that too much. He adjusted his hat and gave his clothes a quick dusting, as he seemed to be able to regain his composure with a huff. Or at least, the bare minimum to put up such airs.

"I say!" He started, definitely agreeing with the doctor. Davis had clearly lost it. Sure, there had been some kind of a voice, and a strange, oppressing aura, but… But that might not have been real, after all.
    "I-I don't know what you're trying to get at, Davis, or w-what you did to us, but it's not going to work! I'm calling your bluff!"

24. - Top - End - #24
    Troll in the Playground

Eskha rises after she's done tending to the wounds of those she can help, walking over and grabbing the gun out of Richard's hands -- and makes sure to unload the rest of the chamber, before tossing it away. It didn't look like he was going to keep resisting, though.

"What did this Chaos ask you to do?" Eskha is direct, levelling the question at Richard.

25. - Top - End - #25

Chimera

Quote Originally Posted by Merilan View Post
    Eskha rises after she's done tending to the wounds of those she can help, walking over and grabbing the gun out of Richard's hands -- and makes sure to unload the rest of the chamber, before tossing it away. It didn't look like he was going to keep resisting, though.

"What did this Chaos ask you to do?" Eskha is direct, levelling the question at Richard.
    "You've never heard of Chaos? The evil god?"
    "Well anyway, he's going to kill the Royal Family and my wife!"
    "I was supposed to wipe out the guards and scholars here, but Chaos didn't expect that the snake thing and you others would be here."

26. - Top - End - #26
    Orc in the Playground

"'Chaos made me do it' is just about the oldest excuse in the book!" Arctomiy huffed from the middle of his healing that he had gotten back to – though was there a slight crack in his voice, a tinge of actual worry? That voice he heard earlier – no, surely everyone here had heard it? Surely it had to just be a trick. Maybe Davis could produce something like that with his magic. …But would someone truly off his rocker be able to come up with such a plan? Was it actually impossible for Davis to both be insane and a criminal mastermind who could plan for an excuse like this?

…No no no. It all had to be some kind of a trick. Arctomiy didn't want to actually believe in the alternative, so he doubled down on not believing it. He swallowed, and felt a bead of sweat drip down the side of his face anyway.
    "A-Anyway! Don't we have some kind of… Containment area for this kind of… Cr-Criminal activity?"

27. - Top - End - #27

"Is Chaos bad?" Connie asks. "Grant never mentioned anything about that."

Show
    Show

Show

28. - Top - End - #28
    Orc in the Playground

"Doesn't the name already give that away…?" Arctomiy asked, sounding like he was in disbelief as he eyed the strange… Thing. Snake-like, but also human, but also mechanical… What was this thing? Was it alive?
    "…Look, I have no idea what you're supposed to be or what hole you crawled out of to not know something so basic… But I'll give you a short version, even if this is not the time and place for that," he adjusted his glasses with a frown, and cleared his throat,
    "He is something of an ancient, evil deity. One supposedly unkillable, stuck in an eternal loop of coming back to life if someone did manage and the ability to affect different points of time. Someone who sows chaos where his grasp reaches. Obviously. Or so the stories go. Great scapegoat and excuse for these lunatics who go crazy and start hearing voices."

29. - Top - End - #29

Chimera

Quote Originally Posted by Parlortricks View Post
    "Doesn't the name already give that away…?" Arctomiy asked, sounding like he was in disbelief as he eyed the strange… Thing. Snake-like, but also human, but also mechanical… What was this thing? Was it alive?
    "…Look, I have no idea what you're supposed to be or what hole you crawled out of to not know something so basic… But I'll give you a short version, even if this is not the time and place for that," he adjusted his glasses with a frown, and cleared his throat,
    "He is something of an ancient, evil deity. One supposedly unkillable, stuck in an eternal loop of coming back to life if someone did manage and the ability to affect different points of time. Someone who sows chaos where his grasp reaches. Obviously. Or so the stories go. Great scapegoat and excuse for these lunatics who go crazy and start hearing voices."

"This has nothing to do with insanity, and everything to do with black mail."
    "Go ahead, put me in jail or something, but get to the royal family."
    "Unne can make contact with the Palace." Unne has a quizical look on his face.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Orc in the Playground

"Riiight," Arctomiy rolled his eyes as he turned his focus back on the healing,
    "Gods are known for resorting to blackmail."