New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #151
    Orc in the Playground

Default Re: Final Fantasy Reimagining (Still Recruiting)

Arctomiy's gaze settled on Acantha. He still seemed rather flustered, but her presence was more than enough to set everything straight. But, as their eyes met, he didn't really feel relief. Though the others were either laughing or quickly moving on like nothing happened, to Arctomiy, the time seemed to come to a standstill, the air grew cold.

He eventually averted his gaze.
    "R-Right."

There was a moment before he really could try to move on from what had happened. He adjusted his glasses, his hat, his cravat – fidgeting with whatever he really got his hands on, really.
    "Well. W-We do eventually need to return to the temple and see what is happening over there. Baron needs to be secured first, as well as we can. Cid had requested an examination of this… Creature. I would like to visit my family to make sure they are still alright. M-Maybe there is something we can find to help us further."

2. - Top - End - #152
    Dwarf in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Eager for any distraction from the previous topic, Acantha chimed in as well.

"We've gotten a request from the Captain as well. Apparently there's a dwarven city outside the stronghold. The rumor is that some of their magic might assist with warding off the influence of Chaos. He also suggested that we should talk to some of the locals, in case they caught wind of some of the cult's plans."

She paused, mentally kicking herself for what she was about to suggest. Richard's betrayal still stung and she hated feeling like she was doing the man any favors. But a lead was a lead...

"In that case we should probably check in with Richard's wife. She might know something he didn't, if the cult really is keep as close a tab on her as he said..."

3. - Top - End - #153
    Orc in the Playground

Arctomiy listened. There had started to be quite a lot on their plate, but there was a common theme he could see emerging.
    "Collecting information. Got it. It would be a good idea to walk around Baron and chat with those we can, we can get a lot done that way. …Including talking to Davis' wife."

…If she still was alive. Could they truly have done her in, due to Davis' connections and failure? One would think they would have focused on taking down the royal family first, instead of such trivial blackmail.
    "We're going to need to have to secure some form of transportation, too, depending on where we are headed first after we are done here."

4. - Top - End - #154
    Troll in the Playground

"Hmm... all right. We'd best check in with these dwarves first, if they're out here; I wouldn't want to go to the temple unprepared and end up just like Davis. Then I think we can split up with the remaining tasks -- you can touch base with your family and speak to locals and I can sort out transport afterwards -- I know a few mechanics who might be able to give us a loaner that I can fix up," Eskha explains.
    Last edited by Merilan; 2022-07-29 at 09:42 PM.

5. - Top - End - #155
    Colossus in the Playground

She nods. "Okay-target locked, mission acquired. Let's talk to some dwarves!"
    I have a LOT of Homebrew!

Spoiler: Former Avatars
    Show
    Spoiler: Avatar (Not In Use) By Linkele
    Show

Spoiler: Individual Avatar Pics
    Show

6. - Top - End - #156
    Barbarian in the Playground

Chimera

Time Skip
    "Khaz'Olgarr
    The stronghold's dwarven city was tiny compared to Baron. However it was still large enough to be considered one, just over fifty thousand individuals lived there, and this city is spread out. There is one large central building in the middle. This building is the fittingly called the City Hall. Khaz'Olgarr is well guarded now, with it's thick walls able to withstand cannon fire, for a little while at least.
    I am ArlEammon. I've been here since 2004, but I've lost access to my other account.

7. - Top - End - #157
    Orc in the Playground

The dwarven city was closer to them than Arctomiy had initially assumed, once they started asking around. They had indeed walked quite a bit to get to where the royal family had retreated to during the invasion, but only now could he really understand where they had ended up, What with them being underground, it was rather difficult to get one's bearings.

"Dwarves are known for being resistant to magic. I'm not entirely sure if there's more at play than that with this rumor, but even still… Dwarven allies might prove to be useful," Arctomiy offered some of his knowledge on the matter, before they started asking around. Did the dwarves actually have something that would help them, or was it just the way their bodies were built? If that meant they could resist the influence of Chaos – if that truly was what was happening – then maybe they could make use of it.

8. - Top - End - #158
    Pixie in the Playground

Having accompanied the group to the dwarven city, albeit under supervision from a pair of redcoat guards, Jeth stood behind the rest of the group, observing the strong-built dwarven city. Sword over shoulder, he stared up at the mighty central building, still clutching the moogle doll.

The dark knight had been silent on the trip there, not saying a word as he followed their path. Whatever his feelings were on this situation, it was impossible to tell with neither a face nor voice. Regardless, he seemed to be in complete control of himself, and was entirely passive throughout their journey.

9. - Top - End - #159

"Well, in we go!" Connie says, and knocks on the gated entrance. Her metallic fist makes a series of rap-tap-tapping noises on the gate, and she rests back on her coils.

Show
    Show

Show

10. - Top - End - #160
    Dwarf in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

As Connie knocked, Acantha ran her hand over the stonework next to the gate. She knew nothing about dwarven craftsmanship, but there was a... sense? A feeling? Some sort of animal instinct about its quality. It was just something she knew in her bones.

Without twisting her head to look at him, she tossed a question back to Jeth.

"So turncoat, what do the forces of Chaos know about the dwarves?"

11. - Top - End - #161
    Pixie in the Playground

Jeth, his movements somewhat slow, turned his head over to Acantha. ”I am sorry, but do not know; I was not in the service of chaos, from what I recall. I may have once been a human, but I don’t remember anything…I came out from the dark, a being of shadow and void, barely clinging on to what’s left of my self being…I lack knowledge of the world, and do not believe I can help you much…”

12. - Top - End - #162
    Orc in the Playground

Arctomiy didn't even object as Connie took the lead and started already knocking. He didn't even know what the right protocol here was, but it was already done. Perhaps he was focused a bit more on the strange man that had joined them. The suspicious, armor-clad man – if he even could be called a man. Acantha too was already busy interrogating him, but this Jeth didn't seem to have much in the way of… Well, anything.
    "Well… That is to be expected, I would say. I don't think there's ever one of you who doesn't end up losing themselves in the process," the young noble adjusted his hat.

13. - Top - End - #163

Connie muses "You think there's actually the original person left? Or is it just the animus stolen to empower something entirely new?" She faces Jeth. "Do you have any kind of recollection of who you were before? Any sensations, any memories, anything at all? Because... Thinking this through, if there is some of the original person left behind, then perhaps you were an exceptionally strong-willed person? That's why you turned your back on the badness. But if not... If it's really just vitalizing force, not a person behind the armor... Well, makes me worry a bit."

She shrugs. "Tell us if you start having evil thoughts, okay?"

Show
    Show

Show

14. - Top - End - #164
    Dwarf in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Acantha huffed at Jeth's answer. Clearly that was a line of questioning that led nowhere.

"Fair enough."

And so she played the waiting game, absently listening for the responses to Connie's questions. As the minutes dragged on, she began to wonder if anyone had even noticed that they'd arrived. She knocked again, metal fist clanging.

"Don't think you can magic us up an open gate, can you Arc?"

15. - Top - End - #165
    Orc in the Playground

Arctomiy glanced at Acantha, and then at the door, and then back at Acantha. It had remained shut for quite a while despite the earlier knocking. Real heavy duty kind of thing made to block unwanted entry.
    "I… Don't think any open sesames are going to do us any good."

He definitely did not have magic to open any doors or gates, no. Unless there was a handle or another mechanism to pull, of course.

16. - Top - End - #166
    Troll in the Playground

Eskha paused and folded her arms as she watched her companions, humming in thought. "Perhaps we should check elsewhere...?" She glanced around the rest of the town, given City Hall seemed to unavail them of answers.

17. - Top - End - #167

Chimera

Quote Originally Posted by Merilan View Post
    Eskha paused and folded her arms as she watched her companions, humming in thought. "Perhaps we should check elsewhere...?" She glanced around the rest of the town, given City Hall seemed to unavail them of answers.
    Ovehearing the party, an old dwarf walked over. "This is at the time of a religious ceremony. You can't enter City Hall. You might wanna stop trying to get in."
    "What do you need inside the Halls for?"
    I am ArlEammon. I've been here since 2004, but I've lost access to my other account.

18. - Top - End - #168
    Orc in the Playground

Arctomiy pursed his lips – perhaps they were not going to find any answers here, indeed. A question that was quickly answered as someone approached them, causing the young noble to stir and turn his attention to the old dwarf.
    "What timing," he huffed after hearing the reason for the lackluster welcome – though perhaps it was less of that of him being annoyed, and more about truly finding the timing of everything unfortunate. Or had this all been on purpose?
    "Chaos cultists are running amok! They've caused awful damage to Baron. Surely the news have reached here, as well?"

19. - Top - End - #169

Chimera

Quote Originally Posted by Parlortricks View Post
    Arctomiy pursed his lips – perhaps they were not going to find any answers here, indeed. A question that was quickly answered as someone approached them, causing the young noble to stir and turn his attention to the old dwarf.
    "What timing," he huffed after hearing the reason for the lackluster welcome – though perhaps it was less of that of him being annoyed, and more about truly finding the timing of everything unfortunate. Or had this all been on purpose?
    "Chaos cultists are running amok! They've caused awful damage to Baron. Surely the news have reached here, as well?"
    "Of course! There's a ritual going on for the settlement's protection!"
    "That's why this is happening now. It should be over soon."
    "Is there anything you'd like to know? I'm an ex cleric of the gods."

20. - Top - End - #170

"Yes-can I have some skin or hair?" Connie asks. "And do you have a way of extending the protection further than just the city? Or a way of inverting it, so that way it loops out and corrals the goons? Do you have plans for the oncoming apocalypse that's probably gonna happen if you just shut yourselves in and hope it blows over?"

Show
    Show

Show

21. - Top - End - #171
    Orc in the Playground

It definitely made sense. Arctomiy mulled it over – though he immediately did a double take when Connie asked for something very strange and inappropriate.
    "S-Strike that odd request!" He did his best to avert a crisis – and gave the snake-lady a glare,
    "B-But otherwise, yes. We are here trying to figure out what can be done to protect ourselves in the future, as it is clear the Chaos cultists are not yet beaten into submission. They'll try something in the future, for sure. We would want to be prepared. A-As a scholar of magic, I am quite keen on learning more about the dwarven resistance."

22. - Top - End - #172

Chimera

It definitely made sense. Arctomiy mulled it over – though he immediately did a double take when Connie asked for something very strange and inappropriate.
    "S-Strike that odd request!" He did his best to avert a crisis – and gave the snake-lady a glare,
    "B-But otherwise, yes. We are here trying to figure out what can be done to protect ourselves in the future, as it is clear the Chaos cultists are not yet beaten into submission. They'll try something in the future, for sure. We would want to be prepared. A-As a scholar of magic, I am quite keen on learning more about the dwarven resistance."
    "Well, it's our natural resistance to curses. There are ways around our resistance to magic in general but our ability to stave off purely black magic curses is even stronger."
    The old dwarf states. "Our ancestors found out how to amplify our resistance to curses even further. It only seems to work here in the city for some reason. Personally I think it's because of the God Stone."
    "It's a symbol of the City that's right outside the Halls. In fact. . . "The old dwarf points in front of himself at the lower level of the city, downhill."There it is there, It's called the God Stone because Hyne blessed the city when it was created, long ago."
    "If I recall, the Dwarves were friendly towards Hyne, long ago, before he left."

23. - Top - End - #173
    Orc in the Playground

Arctomiy seemed to be getting interested, his eyes widening from curiosity. Perhaps not the right reason or the right timing, considering that there was a whole thing about Chaos cultists attacking and even having managed to kill a member of the royal family… But he couldn't quite contain his excitement. His gaze snapped back from the direction the dwarf pointed at, and back to the dwarf himself.
    "This may be a good time to really study the stone! After all, there are plenty of legends and rumors about it, but not enough… Anything concrete. Perhaps it could be harnessed somehow…"

Or perhaps Arctomiy shouldn't have been putting the cart before the horse and suggesting doing things to a sacred relic.

24. - Top - End - #174
    Dwarf in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

It was fortunate that the dwarf showed up when he did. The next thought Acantha had involved vaulting the gate. Not the wisest coarse, but they were running of borrowed time. Who knew when the next attack would come ore when the Captain might have his next transformation.

"Since we have to wait anyway, why don't we take a look at that stone. Couldn't hurt to learn more about it."

25. - Top - End - #175

Connie rises up a bit (enough to be head-height to Arctomiy) and claps his shoulder. "Yes! Let's do some science!"

Show
    Show

Show

26. - Top - End - #176

Chimera

Examining the God Stone, it appears to have Dwarven Runic Script. Unless one of the party members knows some Dwarven, it is illegible. "Do any of you know Dwarven runes?" The Dwarf asked.

27. - Top - End - #177
    Orc in the Playground

Arctomiy's whole body basically reacted as his shoulder was clapped, lightweight enough for most such actions to shift his posture. He gave the snake-lady a frown, not entirely sure if he should be excited about the same thing she was… But even that worry couldn't quite push back the thirst for studying he currently had.

He followed eagerly, as the old dwarf took them to the stone. Perhaps, it wouldn't have been as special if they didn't know it was special – and it wasn't in the middle of a settlement like a piece of something important. Arctomiy was already circling it and looking at it from various angles, with a notebook and inkpen in hand as he scribbled away, writing down notes. What power was hidden within? That could be something he might have been able to check with his own magic, soon. But first…

"Ah. No. I can recognize the script, but I don't understand it," the young noble answered to the question, looking up from his notebook. He had already copied some of the runes down, but indeed, he could not actually read them.

28. - Top - End - #178

Chimera

Arctomiy's whole body basically reacted as his shoulder was clapped, lightweight enough for most such actions to shift his posture. He gave the snake-lady a frown, not entirely sure if he should be excited about the same thing she was… But even that worry couldn't quite push back the thirst for studying he currently had.

He followed eagerly, as the old dwarf took them to the stone. Perhaps, it wouldn't have been as special if they didn't know it was special – and it wasn't in the middle of a settlement like a piece of something important. Arctomiy was already circling it and looking at it from various angles, with a notebook and inkpen in hand as he scribbled away, writing down notes. What power was hidden within? That could be something he might have been able to check with his own magic, soon. But first…

"Ah. No. I can recognize the script, but I don't understand it," the young noble answered to the question, looking up from his notebook. He had already copied some of the runes down, but indeed, he could not actually read them.
    The old dwarf remembers, suddenly. "Oh!! There's a scholar named Dvwer who's just about to leave City Hall!"
    "He knows all about the Godstone!"
    With the sound of a large gong resounding throughout the city square, the tall doors suddenly open.
    "You can't miss him! Dvwer's house is in an Enclave between the stronghold and City Hall. If you somehow miss him, you won't miss his mansion."

29. - Top - End - #179

"Thank you very much," Connie says, and slithers her way inside. "No time like the present-let's go find him!"

Show
    Show

Show

30. - Top - End - #180
    Orc in the Playground

"A-Ah. Right. Yes. Thank you," Arctomiy stammered out something, as his gaze flicked between the stone and Connie, who was already busy slithering away. He was still in the middle of taking notes! And, well, he definitely wanted to see if there was anything his magic could gleam from the stone. Casting a little Libra on it to try to study it quickly wouldn't hurt…