A Monster for Every Season: Summer 2
You can get A Monster for Every Season: Summer 2 now at Gumroad
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Titan in the Playground

Default Lightyear (stardate 2022)

So I've just been to see this film, after a small kerfuffle with the automatic ticket sellers having nonfunctional keypads. From the moment I saw any promotion for it my only thoughts were 'this probably has atomic blasters and fishbowl helmets', which made it an easy sell.

Spoiler: Thoughts
    Show
    So to give a brief synopsis, Buzz screws up due to factors outside his control and decides that if he needs to throw away any chance at a normal life to fix it he will.

Through the events this leads to we get a story of failure, trying to make up for it, and knowing when to move on. This is explored through our dashing hero Buzz Lightyear and dastardly villain Zurg, with Buzz sacrificing his life with his friends in an attempt to allow everybody to return home, while Zurg uses crudely hacked together time travel technology in an attempt to undo the original mistake. Both have hero complexes, a lack of capacity to deal with failure, and a burning desire to make things better. By the end the film takes a stand, that when you make a mistake you should pick up and move on, and where a door is closed because of it you should seek a different path.

I'm not going into Zurg's identity. They could have done a lot better, but it works. I can also easily see this Zurg rising to become the Evil Emperor for any potential sequels.

Lightyear cares more about it's character arcs than it's plot or worldbuilding, the latter only exist to support the former. Buzz must overcome his mistrust of rookies and accept his own insecurities in order to save the day, and the entire film exists to set this up and pay it off.

Lightyear is at its best when it's being dramatic pulpy science fiction with a straight face. It's at its worst when it's trying to be comedic, and considering it did get some chuckles out of me that's not a bad thing. It's a well crafted film that I feel was made with a lot of heart, which I don't often say about big studio films.

Before going in I was going to give it a silly rating in four categories named after classic science fiction authors, but that doesn't tell you what you need to know.

This is good pulpy kids' science fiction, and just a lot of fun.
    Snazzy avatar (now back! ) by Honest Tiefling.

RIP Laser-Snail, may you live on in our hearts forever.

Spoiler: playground quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Zelphas View Post
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    How about a Jovian Uplift stuck in a Case morph? it makes so little sense.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: Lightyear (stardate 2022)

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymouswizard View Post
    So I've just been to see this film, after a small kerfuffle with the automatic ticket sellers having nonfunctional keypads. From the moment I saw any promotion for it my only thoughts were 'this probably has atomic blasters and fishbowl helmets', which made it an easy sell.

Spoiler: Thoughts
    Show
    So to give a brief synopsis, Buzz screws up due to factors outside his control and decides that if he needs to throw away any chance at a normal life to fix it he will.

Through the events this leads to we get a story of failure, trying to make up for it, and knowing when to move on. This is explored through our dashing hero Buzz Lightyear and dastardly villain Zurg, with Buzz sacrificing his life with his friends in an attempt to allow everybody to return home, while Zurg uses crudely hacked together time travel technology in an attempt to undo the original mistake. Both have hero complexes, a lack of capacity to deal with failure, and a burning desire to make things better. By the end the film takes a stand, that when you make a mistake you should pick up and move on, and where a door is closed because of it you should seek a different path.

I'm not going into Zurg's identity. They could have done a lot better, but it works. I can also easily see this Zurg rising to become the Evil Emperor for any potential sequels.

Lightyear cares more about it's character arcs than it's plot or worldbuilding, the latter only exist to support the former. Buzz must overcome his mistrust of rookies and accept his own insecurities in order to save the day, and the entire film exists to set this up and pay it off.

Lightyear is at its best when it's being dramatic pulpy science fiction with a straight face. It's at its worst when it's trying to be comedic, and considering it did get some chuckles out of me that's not a bad thing. It's a well crafted film that I feel was made with a lot of heart, which I don't often say about big studio films.

Before going in I was going to give it a silly rating in four categories named after classic science fiction authors, but that doesn't tell you what you need to know.

This is good pulpy kids' science fiction, and just a lot of fun.
    Still a shame that Star Command fans dislike it.
    I know different continuity, hopefully sequel or spin off should try to adopt Star Command idea (maybe meeting the Tangeans along with Mira).
    Also metawise,
    Spoiler: Movie spoiler but in meta
    Show
    The film was actually a movie-within-the-movie, which would be in 90's.
    BUT a lesbian couple in "kid friendly" movie wouldn't fly well in 90's, at least in US and Asia. Those are usually R rated or PG-13.
    Last edited by t209; 2022-06-18 at 10:54 PM.
    Badly drawn helmet avatar drawn by me.
    Rest in Peace:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Miko Miyazaki, Thanh, Durkon- Order of the Stick
    Krunch- Looking For Group
    Bill- Left 4 Dead
    Soap Mactavish- Modern Warfare 3
    Sandman- Modern Warfare 3
    Ghost and Roach- Modern Warfare 2
    Gabe- Dead Space 2
    Dom- Gears of War 3
    Carmine Brothers- Gears of War series
    Uriel Septim VII- Elderscrolls Oblivion
    Commander Shepherd- Mass Effect 3
    Ned Stark- Song of Ice and Fire
    Apple Jack's parents

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by t209 View Post
    I know different continuity, hopefully sequel or spin off should try to adopt Star Command idea (maybe meeting the Tangeans along with Mira).
    Also metawise,
    Show
    BUT a lesbian couple in "kid friendly" movie wouldn't fly well in 90's, at least in US and Asia. Those are usually R rated or PG-13.
    I might have lucked out due to only having seen the pilot for Star Command, I was never that attached to it.

Spoiler: Meta stuff
    Show
    That's pretty much the the reasons I think it might have worked better as 'the 2010s/2020s remake of Andy's favourite film).

I mean, I like that the only relationship is a gay one, but you're right. There's a reason I mistakenly thought I was cis-het when younger.

Show
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ettin in the Playground

So back to the topic about movie,
    Spoiler: Movie spoiler
    Show
    Consdering the shortfall, I am wondering if they would ever attempt to link Star Command ideas to sequels.
    Like Rangers meeting Tangeans, or even Little Greenman.
    Maybe founding Galactic Alliance after Buzz making contact with them.
    Rest in Peace:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Bill- Left 4 Dead
    Gabe- Dead Space 2
    Dom- Gears of War 3
    Apple Jack's parents

5. - Top - End - #5
    Troll in the Playground

Also metawise,
    Show
    I never saw Star Command but the film definitely contradicts established lore from the toy story movies. I wonder why they try to sell the idea that this is the film Andy went to see when it's so different to everything shown in the other films. This would have benefit from not being burdened with canon.
    Thanks to linklele for the amazing avvy.
    Quote Originally Posted by jidasfire View Post
    On a long enough scale, every OOTS forum discussion turns into a debate about alignment, Miko, or Familicide.
    Spoiler: Easydamus result
    Show

I Am A: Neutral Good Human Paladin/Cleric (3rd/2nd Level)
    Ability Scores:
    Strength-15 Dexterity-13 Constitution-14
    Intelligence-16 Wisdom-17 Charisma-14
    Alignment: Neutral Good

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

So back to the topic about movie,
    Spoiler: Movie spoiler
    Show
    Consdering the shortfall, I am wondering if they would ever attempt to link Star Command ideas to sequels.
    Like Rangers meeting Tangeans, or even Little Greenman.
    Maybe founding Galactic Alliance after Buzz making contact with them.
    Spoiler
    Show
    LGMs I'm all for, although they'd likely be in a different, less psychic form. Tangeans feel a little too unrealistic for what the film is going for, but maybe if they removed or replaced the ghosting. The Galactic Alliance is hinted at as a possibility by the ending, although it requires removing the 'no FTL' rule the movie uses.

Mostly Lightyear is a completely different beast to Buzz Lightyear of Star Command. It's somewhat more grounded and almost runs on a 'no intelligent aliens' rule. I suspect film two will be 'the Space Rangers and Zurg at war' and three 'finding allies to end the war and form the Galactic Alliance'.

Quote Originally Posted by DaOldeWolf View Post
    I never saw Star Command but the film definitely contradicts established lore from the toy story movies. I wonder why they try to sell the idea that this is the film Andy went to see when it's so different to everything shown in the other films. This would have benefit from not being burdened with canon.
    Beyond
    Spoiler
    Show
    Zurg being Buzz Prime instead of his dad and/or a robot
    I'm trying to remember what lore you mean. Although the Buzz in the original film is, IIRC, still meant to be based more on the Star Command spinoff cartoon rather than the film.

Show

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ettin in the Playground

Anyone here watch Gunbuster?
    Kinda like Lightyear but as Top Gun mixed with Mecha and Action Girl.
    For some reason, wanted to compare if it did better.
    Rest in Peace:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Bill- Left 4 Dead
    Gabe- Dead Space 2
    Dom- Gears of War 3
    Apple Jack's parents

8. - Top - End - #8
    Firbolg in the Playground

Flumph

Anyone here watch Gunbuster?
    Kinda like Lightyear but as Top Gun mixed with Mecha and Action Girl.
    For some reason, wanted to compare if it did better.
    I suspect the emotional weight of Lightyear is somewhat muted by the knowledge that the main character is a toy, a child's plaything.

It's not really happening even within its own diagesis, it's a movie within a movie about a character whose introductory arc otherwise is having to learn that all the serious space ranger stuff it rests on never happened and doesn't matter.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymouswizard View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    LGMs I'm all for, although they'd likely be in a different, less psychic form. Tangeans feel a little too unrealistic for what the film is going for, but maybe if they removed or replaced the ghosting. The Galactic Alliance is hinted at as a possibility by the ending, although it requires removing the 'no FTL' rule the movie uses.

Mostly Lightyear is a completely different beast to Buzz Lightyear of Star Command. It's somewhat more grounded and almost runs on a 'no intelligent aliens' rule. I suspect film two will be 'the Space Rangers and Zurg at war' and three 'finding allies to end the war and form the Galactic Alliance'.

Beyond
    Spoiler
    Show
    Zurg being Buzz Prime instead of his dad and/or a robot
    I'm trying to remember what lore you mean. Although the Buzz in the original film is, IIRC, still meant to be based more on the Star Command spinoff cartoon rather than the film.
    The one from the back of the box he came in.
    Thanks to linklele for the amazing avvy.
    Quote Originally Posted by jidasfire View Post
    On a long enough scale, every OOTS forum discussion turns into a debate about alignment, Miko, or Familicide.
    Spoiler: Easydamus result
    Show

I Am A: Neutral Good Human Paladin/Cleric (3rd/2nd Level)
    Ability Scores:
    Strength-15 Dexterity-13 Constitution-14
    Intelligence-16 Wisdom-17 Charisma-14
    Alignment: Neutral Good

10. - Top - End - #10
    Orc in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

I know I'm dating myself, but I keep reading "Star Command", and I keep thinking of this:

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground

Also metawise,
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    People are deciding that this means the Toy Story universe is much more progressive than the IRL one and it's beautiful
    In general I do feel like "this is the 201X remake of the movie" would have be a bit more self-consistent but it's not that big an issue imo.
    An explanation of why MitD being any larger than Huge is implausible.

See my extended signature here! May contain wit, candor, and somewhere from 52 to 8127 walruses.

Purple is humorous descriptions made up on the fly
    Green is serious talk about hypothetical
    Blue is irony and sarcasm

"I think, therefore I am,
    I walk, therefore I stand,
    I sleep, therefore I dream;
    I joke, therefore I meme."
    -Squire Doodad