New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 234567891011
  1. - Top - End - #301
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: OOTS #1260 - The Discussion Thread

Quote Originally Posted by BriarHobbit View Post
    Is the rest of Team Evil hiding on the chance that a bunch of heroes will try to take down Xykon while he is supposedly weaker? It seems possible.
    Redcloak is investigating the cave. Xykon is referring to Redcloak doing a 'sherlock holmes' thing.
    Avatar by linklele. How Teleport Works
    a. Malifice (paraphrased):
    Rulings are not 'House Rules.' Rulings are a DM doing what DMs are supposed to do.
    b. greenstone (paraphrased):
    Agency means that they {players} control their character's actions; you control the world's reactions to the character's actions.
    Gosh, 2D8HP, you are so very correct!
    Second known member of the Greyview Appreciation Society

2. - Top - End - #302
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by KorvinStarmast View Post
    Redcloak is investigating the cave. Xykon is referring to Redcloak doing a 'sherlock holmes' thing.
    I think BriarHobbit meant that this was Team Evil pretending to split up because Xykon's bored in order to lure out their ennemies.
    Forum Wisdom

Mage avatar by smutmulch & linklele.

3. - Top - End - #303
    Orc in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Can anyone tell me which spell Xykon is using to draw? Looks like a waste of a spell slot to his already expended repetoire
    "A good way to get a decent person to do something horrible is to convince them that they're not responsible for their actions" - Director Cedrik - OOTS #640

"Geez! You give a guy a crown and it goes straight to his head!''
    _ "Where else would a crown go?"

4. - Top - End - #304
    Bugbear in the Playground

Chimera

Quote Originally Posted by M.A.D View Post
    Can anyone tell me which spell Xykon is using to draw? Looks like a waste of a spell slot to his already expended repetoire
    I’ve done a bit of a look into this. You need a lot more damage than you would think to dig into stone with most spells. TLDR it’s probably either disintegrate fineness or a reach spell metamagiced touch spell like Scalding Touch or Storm Touch. The conversation clearly took more than 6 seconds so it needs to be something with a duration.
    Native Sha'ir enthusiast. NO GENIE WARLOCK DOESNT COUNT!

Quote Originally Posted by Sparky McDibben View Post
    I am unburdened of my salt, and I rise like a bland-ass potato chip from the ashes of my discontent.
    Rate my homebrew: https://forums.giantitp.com/showsing...&postcount=323

5. - Top - End - #305
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Jervis View Post
    I’ve done a bit of a look into this. You need a lot more damage than you would think to dig into stone with most spells.
    It doesn't need to dig in to the stone, only make a mark on it. My money's on Scorching Ray with the homebrew rule of "it leaves scorch marks on rocks". Sadly there's no fiery version of the Ray of Frost cantrip that I know of.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

6. - Top - End - #306
    Orc in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    It doesn't need to dig in to the stone, only make a mark on it. My money's on Scorching Ray with the homebrew rule of "it leaves scorch marks on rocks". Sadly there's no fiery version of the Ray of Frost cantrip that I know of.
    Ironically, although fire is considered a 'weak' damage type for spells like Fireball due to the number of creatures with resistance/immunity, the ability to start fires with a cantrip is strong enough that none deal fire damage.
    I like heated water, not heated arguments.

7. - Top - End - #307
    Spamalot in the Playground

Another in favor of scorching ray - sure he's only using one beam when we see him, but he might be just putting the finishing touches on his oeuvre, and prior to that was utilizing multiple lasers.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy
    Ext. Sig (Handbooks/Creations)

8. - Top - End - #308

My money's on Scorching Ray
    It's ROY, dammit! I'll give you a "scorching"..!

9. - Top - End - #309
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Thumbs down Re: OOTS #1260 - The Discussion Thread

Quote Originally Posted by bunsen_h View Post
    It's ROY, dammit! I'll give you a "scorching"..!
    Scorching Roy was early comic. After the deva told him to be nicer he largely took it to heart
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

10. - Top - End - #310

Scorching Roy was early comic. After the deva told him to be nicer he largely took it to heart
    Don't forget about his flaming sword.

11. - Top - End - #311
    Retired Mod in the Playground Retired Moderator

Honestly, given how indifferent and standoffish he could be, I would think Roy of Frost would be a better description.

12. - Top - End - #312
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Grey Watcher View Post
    Honestly, given how indifferent and standoffish he could be, I would think Roy of Frost would be a better description.
    Well, in the period directly after his sword was broken I'd say he was more of a Roy of Enfeeblement
    "You think you have won, do you? You are mistaken! I will not be defeated! I will destroy EVERYTHING and you BOTH will die! I hold the prophecy stone in my hands. When it breaks the DARK DRAGON will rise to destroy ALL of Silmaria. You cannot stop me. NO ONE can stop me. I AM YOUR DOOM!" - QFG V

I would be very grateful for any feedback on the homebrewed stuff I've created:
    The Warp Walker, The Glorious Berserker

13. - Top - End - #313
    Halfling in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by M.A.D View Post
    I’d go with “Giant’s ray of visual humour”

14. - Top - End - #314

Quote Originally Posted by No good @ names View Post
    I’d go with “Giant’s ray of visual humour”
    Could be. But I wouldn't be surprised to learn that Xykon researched a ray-of-blasting spell, with an extended duration, for the specific purpose of things like graffiti and torture.

I knew a guy who put a year and a half of his company's R&D resources into a product with almost zero market potential, because he thought it would be a cool thing. He did no market research, but he wanted to be able to brag that he had it in his pocket. What ultimately got produced didn't even do the cool thing that he most wanted, because it turned out to be literally impossible in a product that size, and he didn't put any time into researching feasibility either. People sometimes let their biases -- their desire for a Cool Thing -- overrule what might be considered wise expenditure of time and effort by a neutral observer.

15. - Top - End - #315
    Titan in the Playground

Ooh boy, that sounds bad.
    Cool elan Illithid Slayer by linkele.

Editor/co-writer of Magicae Est Potestas, a crossover between Artemis Fowl and Undertale. Ao3 FanFiction.net DeviantArt
    We also have a TvTropes page!

Currently playing: Red Hand of Doom(campaign journal) Campaign still going on, but journal discontinued until further notice.

Quote Originally Posted by Squire Doodad View Post
    I could write a lengthy explanation, but honestly just what danielxcutter said.
    Extended sig here.

16. - Top - End - #316

Quote Originally Posted by danielxcutter View Post
    Ooh boy, that sounds bad.
    "Suppose a researcher is at an out-of-town conference, and gets an idea for a chemical structure. He wants to be able to punch it into his pocket computer and start the calculations right away! He doesn't want to have to wait until he gets home!"

"But... not many people have pocket computers. And they're really slow, really low-powered compared to a desktop machine. For any structure complex enough to be of interest, it would be faster for the person to scribble the idea on a piece of paper and wait to run the calculations at home, than to start it right away and do it on a pocket computer."

"I want to be the first guy in the world to do [really complicated] calculations in my pocket!"

"But... the computational requirements for [really complicated] calculations scale as the fourth power of the number of atoms in the structure. Again, pocket computers just don't have the power to do that kind of work."

Etc. This was in the days before remote desktops, VPNs, and so on. Ultimately, the pocket-computer version of the product didn't do [really complicated] calculations at all; in fact, it was only able to do the most basic forms of calculations in that field.

At one point while I was doing support for that company, I was asked by a prospective customer about the feasibility of doing [really complicated] calculations on a compound with 38 atoms in it. I did a quick estimate, and wrote back that the memory requirement to store the data was on the order of a hundred times the size of the high-end consumer disk drives of the day. The calculation could be done by an alternate mode which didn't store all of that state data, but that slowed the calculation down proportionately. I suggested that he'd be better off by waiting a decade or two until computers were more powerful -- politely / humorously / apologetically, as it wasn't a stupid question, just a "this is the state of current technology compared with what you'd like to be able to do".
    Last edited by bunsen_h; 2022-07-04 at 02:49 PM.

17. - Top - End - #317
    Retired Mod in the Playground Retired Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Ekul View Post
    Well, in the period directly after his sword was broken I'd say he was more of a Roy of Enfeeblement
    And then when Xykon flew him in loop de loops over Azure City, he was briefly Roy of Sickness.
    Last edited by Grey Watcher; 2022-07-05 at 12:01 AM.