New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: List of (almost) all way to change form!

Some more spells:

Fiendform (SC) Sor/Wiz 5
    Incarnation of Evil (online) Clr 5
    Winged Watcher (CS) Drd 1

2. - Top - End - #32
    Firbolg in the Playground

A few more quick additions:
    Sand ShaperSand; prestige class; comes with Sandform (Sp), allowing the shaper to turn into a pile of moving sand 1/day for 1 minute+1 round/level;
    Elemental SavantCAr; prestige class; its capstone at level 10 (Elemental Perfection) might give an alternate combat form (such as the air elemental's Whirlwind or the water elemental's Vortex) depending on the elemental specialty picked as many times and for as long as the elemental whose special attacks are replicated can do it;
    Animal LordCAdv; prestige class; at level 3 or higher it gets Wild Aspect (Su) which (depending on the Animal Bond picked) may grant the ability to partially turn into something more beastlike, shifter-style (via growing claws, sprouting wings, gaining shark teeth and the like) up to 3 times a day.

3. - Top - End - #33
    Dwarf in the Playground

Added the Tattoed Monk. Dunno how I missed that one.

Quote Originally Posted by Thurbane View Post
    Some more spells:

Fiendform (SC) Sor/Wiz 5
    Incarnation of Evil (online) Clr 5
    Winged Watcher (CS) Drd 1
    Quote Originally Posted by Metastachydium View Post
    A few more quick additions:
    Sand ShaperSand; prestige class; comes with Sandform (Sp), allowing the shaper to turn into a pile of moving sand 1/day for 1 minute+1 round/level;
    Elemental SavantCAr; prestige class; its capstone at level 10 (Elemental Perfection) might give an alternate combat form (such as the air elemental's Whirlwind or the water elemental's Vortex) depending on the elemental specialty picked as many times and for as long as the elemental whose special attacks are replicated can do it;
    Animal LordCAdv; prestige class; at level 3 or higher it gets Wild Aspect (Su) which (depending on the Animal Bond picked) may grant the ability to partially turn into something more beastlike, shifter-style (via growing claws, sprouting wings, gaining shark teeth and the like) up to 3 times a day.
    Added! Thanks to both of you.

4. - Top - End - #34
    Dwarf in the Playground

Added a new category : Feats with a new entry... I think this is the more conveluted one yet.

By taking the feat Favored in Guild from the DMG2 and need you to be a dragon or have another dragon-related feat, you can use Alter self as an SLA 1/day. Which isn't much but you get Alter self on any race without being a spellcaster and for two feats (Favored in Guild + Dragonfriend) or to have the dragon type or the draconic heritage feat.

5. - Top - End - #35

Hm. Would Minor ShapeshiftCM also qualify, then? Beyond letting one swift grow claws at-will, it doesn't detail how exactly it "reshape[s one's] flesh", but still. Also, speaking of reserve feats, Face-Changer (aka at-will Disguise Self: the feat) is likewise a thing. And Fey Presence (also from CM) grants Disguise Self 1/day as well.
    Last edited by Metastachydium; 2022-08-03 at 01:00 PM.

6. - Top - End - #36
    Ettin in the Playground

Abolisher PrC (Lords of Madness) got Wild Shape - but only into Medium-sized Animals
    Shapeshifter PrC (Oriental Adventures) gets Wild Shape at the very 1st level - but required "either know polymorph or have a natural alternate form, alter self, polymorph, or shapechange ability" to qualify
    Wavekeeper PrC (Stormwrack): Wave Form - 7th-level CF - allow to transform into a Small, Medium, or Large water elemental

Born under the New Moon (Dragon #340): Disguise Self SLA 1/day
    Initiate of Horus-Re feat (Champions of Valor): 1/day allow to Wild Shape into a hawk for 1 hour

7. - Top - End - #37
    Orc in the Playground

If you enjoy Shapechange, allow me to recommend my dissertation handbook on the subject.

An Answer For Everything: The D&D 3.5 Shapechange Handbook (direct link)

8. - Top - End - #38
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Metastachydium View Post
    Hm. Would Minor ShapeshiftCM also qualify, then? Beyond letting one swift grow claws at-will, it doesn't detail how exactly it "reshape[s one's] flesh", but still. Also, speaking of reserve feats, Face-Changer (aka at-will Disguise Self: the feat) is likewise a thing. And Fey Presence (also from CM) grants Disguise Self 1/day as well.
    I guess they count. Thanks for your input, as always.

Quote Originally Posted by ShurikVch View Post
    Abolisher PrC (Lords of Madness) got Wild Shape - but only into Medium-sized Animals
    Shapeshifter PrC (Oriental Adventures) gets Wild Shape at the very 1st level - but required "either know polymorph or have a natural alternate form, alter self, polymorph, or shapechange ability" to qualify
    Wavekeeper PrC (Stormwrack): Wave Form - 7th-level CF - allow to transform into a Small, Medium, or Large water elemental

Born under the New Moon (Dragon #340): Disguise Self SLA 1/day
    Initiate of Horus-Re feat (Champions of Valor): 1/day allow to Wild Shape into a hawk for 1 hour
    There are few really obvious one I already knew but never added to the list. Thanks to remind me they exist and have to add them here!
    Unless I'm mistaken, Born Under the New Moon gives Command, not Diguise Self.

Quote Originally Posted by jmax View Post
    If you enjoy Shapechange, allow me to recommend my dissertation handbook on the subject.

An Answer For Everything: The D&D 3.5 Shapechange Handbook (direct link)
    I do not, because it is a spell. And I don't like spells. And I made this thread to list every possible way to achieve alter self / polymorph / Shapechange / Wildshape without having to be a spellcaster to begin with.
    (I still like your handbook and I'm impressed by the work you did)

--

Added the Shifter from Masters of the Wild since it grants you Greater Wildshape and Bounded Summoner, which is not really great but still exist and, I believe, pretty obscure. I'm pretty sure I forget about obvious ones. But like an idiot I do not take note when I find a new one.

Thanks everyone. The list is getting big.

9. - Top - End - #39
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Condé View Post
    Unless I'm mistaken, Born Under the New Moon gives Command, not Diguise Self.
    Command is from Born Under the Full Moon
    Born Under the New Moon gives Disguise Self

Glorious Servitor PrC (Lost Empires of Faerűn) got Bestial Form for 1 hour, 1/day per class level
    Last edited by ShurikVch; 2022-08-09 at 06:02 AM.

10. - Top - End - #40
    Dwarf in the Playground

Command is from Born Under the Full Moon
    Born Under the New Moon gives Disguise Self
    For some reason, when I Born under the new moon, I got a link for Born Under the Full Moon. I didn't pay attention. I must be a bit tired. Thanks for correcting me!

Glorious Servitor PrC (Lost Empires of Faerűn) got Bestial Form for 1 hour, 1/day per class level
    Aaaand... Added. Thank you very much.

11. - Top - End - #41
    Ettin in the Playground

For completeness: Urban Druid base class (Dragon Compendium) with Urban Shape - technically, it's different class than Druid, and different class feature than Wild Shape

12. - Top - End - #42
    Titan in the Playground

Bit of a weird one - Thrall of Orcus 6 gets Pallor of Death, where you can "adopt the appearance of a humanoid undead creature of her choosing as if she had cast the alter self spell". 1/day, 1 minuter per level. The word appearance makes it a bit unclear (IMHO) whether it is an actual change, or a visual effect like disguise self. The wording, though, definitely references alter self.

Soul Eater 6 gets Soul Radiance, where they can shapechange into any creature they have drained all the levels from. Lasts up to 24 hours. Note: is a copy of the form of the specific creature drained.

Weretouched Master 5 - Alternate Form. Assume animal or hybrid animal form by using your shifting ability.

Master of Flies 2 - Swarm Shape: change into a swarm of vermin, similar to summon swarm. Later, gets powered up to insect plague (5), and eventually creeping doom (8). Otherwise treated as similar to wild shape.

Master of Vipers 9 - Swarm Shape: allows a yuan-ti to use their alternate form ability to change into a swarm of vipers.

[edit] And another race - Selkie (3 RHD, +1 LA): Alternate Form; change into a seal. Change is automatic in the ocean, but you can chose humanoid or seal form when in shallow waters or on a beach. [/edit]

13. - Top - End - #43
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Thurbane View Post
    Bit of a weird one - Thrall of Orcus 6 gets Pallor of Death, where you can "adopt the appearance of a humanoid undead creature of her choosing as if she had cast the alter self spell". 1/day, 1 minuter per level. The word appearance makes it a bit unclear (IMHO) whether it is an actual change, or a visual effect like disguise self. The wording, though, definitely references alter self.

Soul Eater 6 gets Soul Radiance, where they can shapechange into any creature they have drained all the levels from. Lasts up to 24 hours. Note: is a copy of the form of the specific creature drained.

Weretouched Master 5 - Alternate Form. Assume animal or hybrid animal form by using your shifting ability.

Master of Flies 2 - Swarm Shape: change into a swarm of vermin, similar to summon swarm. Later, gets powered up to insect plague (5), and eventually creeping doom (8). Otherwise treated as similar to wild shape.

Master of Vipers 9 - Swarm Shape: allows a yuan-ti to use their alternate form ability to change into a swarm of vipers.

[edit] And another race - Selkie (3 RHD, +1 LA): Alternate Form; change into a seal. Change is automatic in the ocean, but you can chose humanoid or seal form when in shallow waters or on a beach. [/edit]
    Thank you for your input.

I added the selkie for completion but it is pretty limited. And I still am not convinced to add EVERY creature able to use Change Shape because... It would be a bit too much. (And not really player-friendly in the first place)

14. - Top - End - #44
    Dwarf in the Playground

Why nobody told me about the BEST ITEM IN THE GAME?

Added Phylactery of Change. For 11k2 gp only, level 7 polymorph with no duration and usable once per day. I really, really like it.

(And opened an "Item" category as well. I'm surprised no items have been added since the beginning of this list... Might have to look for more in a near future)
    Last edited by Condé; 2022-09-01 at 03:49 PM.

15. - Top - End - #45

Quote Originally Posted by Condé View Post
    Why nobody talked to me about the BEST ITEM IN THE GAME?
    Because AEG is a scary minefield full of weird stuff?

(And opened an "Item" category as well. I'm surprised no items have been added since the beginning of this list... Might have to look for more in a near future)
    Here's another: Softhands GlovesRotD (Alter Self-based; masks all draconic features (scales, horns, weird pupils &c.) of critters like draconic creatures and half-dragons with an otherwise humanoid body shape; it appears to be an actual physical alteration as well, since it precludes using claws).

16. - Top - End - #46
    Ettin in the Playground

Spells:
    Body Warping of Gorgoroth (Call of Cthulhu d20)
    Consume Likeness (Book of Vile Darkness)
    Deceptive Facade (Complete Mage)
    Disguise Undead (Spell Compendium)
    Pose Mundane (Call of Cthulhu d20)
    Reflective Disguise (Spell Compendium)
    Reflective Disguise, Mass (Spell Compendium)
    Seeming
    Veil
    Phade's Fearsome Aspect (Dragon #333)

Mask of Flesh Warlock invocation (Complete Mage)

Naberius vestige (Tome of Magic): Disguise Self granted ability

Monsters:
    Bile wrapped in Beauty
    Bog Hag (Oriental Adventures)
    Doppleganger, Greater (Monsters of Faerűn/Dungeon #127)
    Jackalwere (Fiend Folio)
    Maurezhi (Fiend Folio)
    Mimic
    Protean Scourge (Monster Manual III)
    Quori, Hashalaq (Secrets of Sarlona)
    Quori, Kalaraq (Secrets of Sarlona)
    Naztharune Rakshasa (Monster Manual III)
    Spectral Lyrist (Libris Mortis)
    Unbodied
    Visage (Libris Mortis)
    Zakya Rakshasa (Eberron Campaign Setting)

Also, Nocturnal Sea Gazetteer have Create Aberration feat, which allow to combine "any two or more living corporeal creatures"; example Aberration is The God of Many Faces: initially - Half-Elf Sorc 11/Rog 1; but then - fused with three Dread Doppelgangers and one Human Werewolf...