New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default List of (almost) all way to change form!

Hi,

I love my characters to be able to change their aspect. Often it means taking a stat bloc and slap it into your character sheet, for the most part. (It is not that simple but for the most part, it is)
    And sometimes it is just like in Pathfinder and you keep your sheet, add a bunch of stats and pretend to be an animal. (Shapeshift Druid, I'm looking at you)
    In both case, I love it. Because it is cool, flavorful (More or less) and it gives you new tools for your characters to do something others cannot and it doesn't rely on spell to achieve it.
    Because spells are solutions to all problems, Wild Shape or Polymorph are a nice alternative and give opportunies and offer new ways to solve problems. (And to broke the game too but we are not here to talk about that)

Spells are going to be listed for completeness as Domains giving access to spells like Alter self or polymorph, but I'm not going to focus this listing to this method of acquiring a new form for your character.

IMPORTANT: I am going to list only races, classes or prestige classes GIVING you Alter Self / Polymorph or Shapechange, not these who modify or improve them. (So no Warshaper, MoMF, Master Transmogrifist etc...)

Monster races are a thing and I know some of them have polymorph or shapechange abilities. But since this list is more Player-oriented, I'm not going to list any of them. (Except Doppelganger, because they are like Changeling except they suck because of their racial HD and LA, but they are cool and we can't have nice things in Faerun for some reason because Changelings are Eberron only)

So, without further ado, let's make a list of Races, Classes and Prestige Classes offering these options to dinosaurs third edition players.

Spoiler: Ressources:
    Show
    3.5 Forms for Alter Self, by phaedrusxy
    The EVEN MORE Complete Polymorph Thread 3.5, by cru
    [3.5] Alternative Class Features (ported from Wizards community boards), posted by Curmudgeon
    Being a frickin' nerd, by me

And I probably forgot A LOT of them... If you have more, just tell me about it, I would gladly check any possible addition to this list.

AT WILL

Races
    • Changeling, any humanoid. [Eberron Campaign Setting pg. 12, Monster Manual 3 pg. 24]
    • Tibbit, house cat. [Dragon Compendium pg. 21] (Thanks to ShurikVch)

LA, RHD or both.
    • Doppelganger, any humanoid. [Races of Destiny, pg. 93]
    • Yuan-ti purebloods, tiny to huge viper. [Monster Manual pg. 262, Races of Faerűn pg. 151, Serpent Kingdoms pg. 190]
    • Fey'ri, any humanoid. [Races of Faerűn pg.?] (Thanks to ShurikVch)
    • Seawolf, humanoid, hybrid and animal form. [Stormwrack, pg. 158] (Thanks to ShurikVch)
    • Worghest, wolf form. [Dragon #350] (Thanks to ShurikVch)
    • Harssafs, Sand Form. A lot of RHD/LA. [Monster Manual 3, pg. 82] (Thanks to Metastachydium)
    • Forestkith Goblins, Tree Shape. At-will but cannot dismiss. [Monster Manual 3, pg. 64] (Thanks to Metastachydium)
    • Efreeti, Change Shape. [Monster Manual, pg. 115]
    • Ogre-Mage, Change Shape. [Monster Manual, pg. 200]
    • Rakshasa, Change Shape. [Monster Manual, pg. 211]
    • Succubus, Change Shape. [Monster Manual, pg. 47]
    • Death Slaad, Green Slaad and Gray Slaad, Change Shape. [Monster Manual, pg. 230 & 231]
    • Zern, Alter Self. [Monster Manual IV, pg. 195]
    • Selkie, turn into a seal when in shallow waters or on a beach. Otherwise, humanoid. [source?] (Thanks to Thurbane)

Classes
    • Druid, Shapeshift ACF [Player's Handbook 2, pg. 38]

Prestige Class
    • Sentinel of Bharrai, at level 3 and 8, Bear & Dire Bear form, as Polymorph. [Book of Exalted Deeds, pg. 69]
    • Thrall of Juiblex, at level 4 and 8, Alter Self and Polymorph, respectively, with capped HD. [Book of Vile Darkness variant, pg. 70]
    • Slime Lord, at level 5, Alter Self as a 4th-level caster. [Player's Guide to Faerűn variant, pg. 186]
    • Faceless One, Diguise self and alter self. [Dragon #300] (Thanks to ShurikVch)
    • Fiend of Corruption, alternate form any huma [Fiend Folio, pg. 202]
    • Ninja Spy, Alter self. [Oriental Adventures, pg.43] (Thanks to sleepyphoenixx)
    • Mountebank, Alter self. [Complete Scoundrel, pg. 57] (Thanks to Metastachydium)
    • Psion Uncarnate, assume likeness. (Thanks to ShurikVch)
    • Soul Eater, shapechange into a creature you drained. Technically at-will but cna be hard to pull off. [Book of Vile Darkness variant, pg. 66] (Thanks to Thurbane)
    • Anarchomancer, ritual to become someone else. [Dragon Magazine #315] (Thanks to flappeercraft)
    • Cabinet Trickster, Change Shape. [Races of Eberron, pg. 139]
    • Master of Vipers, Yuan-ti only, can take the form of a swarm instead of a regular snake [Serpent Kingdoms variant, p. 163] (Thanks to Thurbane)

Templates
    • Lycanthrope
    • Quasilycanthrope (Web]
    • Divine Minion [Web] (Thanks to flappeercraft)
    • Half-Doppelganger [Dragon #313] (Thanks to ShurikVch)
    • Entomanothrope, alternate form. [Web] (Thanks to Bullet06320)

Weird
    • Magic-Infused Creature [Web] (Thanks to ShurikVch)

Invocations
    Spider-Shape, lesser. Become a spider of different size based on HD. (Thanks to Darg)
    Hellspawned Grace. Hellcat. Short duration and 1 hour cooldown but technically at will. (Thanks to Darg)
    Dark Discorporation. Be a swarm. (Thanks to Darg)
    Humanoid Shape, lesser. You'll never guess. (Thanks to Darg)
    Word Of Changing. Baleful polymorph but as an invocation. (Thanks to Darg)

Feat
    • Minor Shapeshift, arguable but you technically modify the shape of your body somehow. [Complete Mage, pg. 45] (Thanks to Metastachydium)
    • Face-changer, Disguise-self with a set time but spammable. [Complete Mage, pg. 42] (Thanks to Metastachydium)

LIMITED
    Even if some have a hrs/lvl duration and/or can be permanent via shenanigans, these methods are temporary and/or have limited use per day.

Races
    • Hengeyokai, HD+1 times/per day. Dragon 318 pg. 34 (new LA), Oriental Adventures, pg. 10]
    • Shifter [Races of Eberron pg. 25, [Races of Eberron pg. 25, Monster Manual 3, pg. 150]
    • Svirfneblin, disguise self. [Underdark pg. 18] (Thanks to ShurikVch)
    • Gruwaar, disguise self. [Dragon #317] (Thanks to ShurikVch)
    • Irda, change shape. [Dragonlance Campaign Setting] (Thanks to ShurikVch)
    • Deepwyrm Drow and half drow, Disguise Self. [Dragon Magic, pg. 6] (Thanks to Metastachydium)
    • Slyth, Alternate form. [Underdark, pg. 17] (Thanks to Metastachydium)
    • True Dragon (Multiple), Alternate Form. [Various entries, SRD... ] (Thanks to Bullet06320)

Classes
    • Druid, wildshape class feature and ACFs (City-shape, Fangshields, Spider Shape... Except Shapeshift from PHB2, see AT WILL)
    • Ranger, Wildshape ACF
    • Corrupter (Paladin ACF), disguise self [Dragon #312] (Thanks to ShurikVch)
    • Mimic (Rogue ACF), disguise self [Exemplars of Evil, pg. 21]
    • Psion (Egoist), change shape [Web] (Thanks to ShurikVch)
    • Mountebank [Dragon Compendium] (Thanks to Metastachydium)
    • Wild Monk, wild shape. [Dragon #324] (Thanks to liquidformat)

Prestige Classes
    • Bear Warrior (Like polymorph) [Complete Warrior, pg. 16]
    • Arachnomancer (Like polymorph) [Underdark, pg. 28]
    • Arachnomancer (Like wild shape) [Drow of the Underdark, pg. 65]
    • Vermin Keeper (Like wild shape) [Underdark, pg. 44]
    • Moonspeaker (Like wild shape) [Races of Eberron, pg. 143]
    • Landforged Walker (Like wild shape, but Plant) [Secrets of Xen'drik, pg. 123] (Thanks to sleepyphoenixx)
    • Acolyte of Ego, disguise self [Tome of Magic, pg. 204] (Thanks to ShurikVch)
    • Eye of Lolth (Variant, see text), disguise self alter self and polymorph. [Drow of the Underdark pg. 80] (Thanks to ShurikVch)
    • Mortal Hunter, polymorph once per day, can be permanent, see text. [Book of Vile Darkness, pg. 64] (Thanks to ShurikVch)
    • Scar Enforcer, diguise self. [Races of Destiny, pg. 130] (Thanks to ShurikVch)
    • Tiger Mask, Alter self. [Dragon #300] (Thanks to ShurikVch)
    • Fist of the Forest, rage. [Complete Champion, pg. 80] (Thanks to Metastachydium)
    • Bloodclaw Master, shifting. [Tome of Battle: The Book of Nine Swords, pg. 96](Thanks to Metastachydium)
    • Scorpion Heritor, polymorph. [Sandstorm, pg. 86] (Thanks to Metastachydium)
    • Primeval, wild shape. [Frostburn, pg. 65] (Thanks to DivineOnTheMind)
    • Lion of Talisid, wild shape. [Book of Exalted Deeds, pg. 65] (Thanks to Darg)
    • Swanmay, wild shape into a swan. [Book of Exalted Deeds, pg. 76] (Thanks to Darg)
    • Berserk, Beast shape, from a list. [Deities and Demigods, pg. 201] (Thanks to loky1109)
    • Tattooed Monk. Chameleon, Alter Form 1hr/Class level[Complete Warrior, pg. 92]
    • Sand Shaper, sandform. [Sandstorm, pg. 76] (Thanks to Metastachydium)
    • Elemental Savant. Medium elemental. [Complete Arcane, pg.32] (Thanks to Metastachydium)
    • Animal Lord, animal aspect. [Complete Adventurer, pg.22] (Thanks to Metastachydium)
    • Abolisher, wildhsape into Small & Medium animals only. [Lords of Madness, pg. 182] (Thanks to ShurikVch)
    • Shapeshifter, wildshape like druid. [Oriental Adventures, pg. 45] (Thanks to ShurikVch)
    • Shifter (Probably the 3.0 version of the Master of Many Forms but GRANT greater wildshape even if you do not have wildshape to begin with) [Masters of the Wild, pg. 68]
    • Wavekeeper, wave form into a water elemental. [Stormwrack, pg. 16] (Thanks to ShurikVch)
    • Bonded Summoner, Elemental Form [Miniatures Handbook, pg. 16]
    • Glorious Servitor, like polymorph 1hr/day [Lost Empires of Faerűn, pg. 13] (Thanks to ShurikVch)
    • Thrall of Orcus, take the appearance of an undead to get an aura. From 3.0 and unclear what you really get... [Book of Vile Darkness variant, pg. 71] (Thanks to Thurbane)
    • Weretouched Master, shifter only, polymorph into an animal coming from your lycanthropy heritage [Eberron Campaign Setting variant, p. 85] (Thanks to Thurbane)
    • Master of Flies, works like wild shape but into a swarm instead of an animal [Savage Species variant, pg. 80] (Thanks to Thurbane)
    • Daggerspell Shaper, wildshape. Can stack with druid. [Complete Adventurer variant, pg. 36]

Spells
    Many ways to obtain on different spell list. Not gonna focus on that part because there is already a lot of ressources about spells.

• Alter Self, Wizard/Sorc/Wu Jen etc...
    • Polymorph, See Alter Self
    • Shapechange , See Alter Self
    • Animal Shapes, Druid 8 mostly
    • Polymorph any object
    • Spiderform
    • Spider Shape
    • Baleful polymorph
    • Spider Curse
    • Gaseous Form
    • Draconic polymorph
    • Disguise Self (Thanks to wefoij123)

• Aspect of the Earth Hunter, become a Bulette,
    • Aspect of the wolf, become a... Wolf.
    • Body of War, become a warforged Titan.
    • Displacer Form, displacer beast.
    • Holy Transformation, hound archon.
    • Lesser Holy Transformation, protectar.
    • Infernal Transformation, bone devil
    • Lesser Infernal Transformation, bearded devil.
    • Primal Form, medium elemental.
    • Unyielding Form of Inevitable Death, marut. (Thanks to flappeercraft)
    • Dreaded Form of the Eye Tyrant, beholder. (Thanks to flappeercraft)
    • Fiendform (Thanks to Thurbane)
    • Incarnation of Evil (Thanks to Thurbane)
    • Winged Watcher (Thanks to Thurbane)

It's funny how I said this list was not going to be about spells and even then spells are taking way too much space for my taste but eh... It is what it is.

Domains
    • Transformation, Alter Self at 2, Gaseous Form at 3, Polymorph at 5, Baleful Polymorph at 6, Polymorph any object at 8, Shapechange at 9
    • Animal, Animal Shapes at 7, Shapechange at 9
    • Moon, Animal Shapes at 8
    • Scalykind, Animal Shapes at 8, Shapechange at 9
    • Spider, Spider Curse at 6, Spider Shape at 9
    • Commerce, Polymorph any object at 9
    • Drow, Spiderform at 5
    • Gluttony, Baleful polymorph at 5
    • Renewal, Polymorph any object at 8
    • Trickery, Polymorph any object at 8

Templates
    • The Tainted One, polymorph into viper. [Races of Faerűn, pg. 151] (thanks Metastachydium)
    • Half-Rakshasa, disguise self. [Dragon Magazine #313] (Thanks to Metastachydium)

Feat
    • Favored in Guild, Confluence [DMG2, Dragons of Faerűn pg. 94] (Require Druuth Slayer + dragon type or Draconic Heritage or Dragonfriend.) You get Alter Self as an SLA 1/day with a Caster Level = to your Character Level.
    • Fey Presence, disguise-self 1/day. [Complete Mage, pg. 43] (Thanks to Metastachydium)
    • Initiate of Horus-Re feat 1/day wildhsape into a hawk for 1 hour. [Champions of Valor, pg.30] (Thanks to ShurikVch)
    • Born under the New Moon, Disguise self 1/day [Dragon #340] (Thanks to ShurikVch)
    • Momentary Alteration, alter self 1/day for 1 minute as a spell-like ability. [Unearthed Arcana, pg. 94]

Items
    • Phylactery of Change, once per day Polymorph with infinite duration. I love it. [Arms & Equipment Guide, pg. 135]
    • Fleshshifter Armor, Alter self at will, CL3. [Book of Vile Darkness, pg. 111]

Please post any additions and I will add them to the original post for completion.
    This is also my first real contribution to the forum. Any feedback is appreciated.
    Last edited by Condé; 2023-07-14 at 04:01 PM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: List of (almost) all way to change form!

You forgot the Landforged Walker (ExH). They get plant wild shape.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Template wise you could add Divine Minion and Swarm-shifter

4. - Top - End - #4
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by sleepyphoenixx View Post
    You forgot the Landforged Walker (ExH). They get plant wild shape.
    I never knew this class existed. I must admit I'm not an Eberron expert so, thank you for your input.

Quote Originally Posted by wefoij123 View Post
    PHB says Disguise Self alters your form

--PHB p.73
    I... Didn't know that. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by flappeercraft View Post
    Template wise you could add Divine Minion and Swarm-shifter
    I knew I was forgetting an obvious one! Divine Minion. Doesn't the swarm shifter have LA-? And so not for player characters?

Thanks anyway.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Condé View Post
    I knew I was forgetting an obvious one! Divine Minion. Doesn't the swarm shifter have LA-? And so not for player characters?
    Thanks anyway.
    Missed that it was a player oriented guide my bad. I did find some more options for players though
    Unyielding Form of Inevitable Death (CMage)
    Dreaded Form of the Eye Tyrant (CMage)
    Anarchomancer PrC (Not arachno, anarcho)

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ettin in the Playground

Some more stuff...

Races:
    Fey'ri (Races of Faerûn) - Alter Self (any Humanoid form); LA +2 (but Lesser Planetouched rules...)
    Gnome, Svirfneblin (Underdark) - 1/day Disguise Self; LA +3
    Gruwaar (Dragon #317) - 1/day Disguise Self; LA +0
    Irda (Dragonlance Campaign Setting) - Change Shape (any Humanoid creature; 3/day); LA +2
    Seawolf (Stormwrack) - Change Shape (human or a wolf-human hybrid); LA +2 and 4 HD
    Tibbit (Dragon Compendium) - Feline Transformation
    Worghest (Dragon #350) - Change Shape (wolf); LA +2 (but Lesser Planetouched rules...)

Templates:
    Half-Doppelganger (Dragon #313) - Alternate Forms (three Humanoid forms of Medium or Small size); LA +2
    Magic-Infused Creature - Minor Polymorph; LA +1

Classes:
    Corrupter - NE Paladin variant (Dragon #312) - at 3rd level, Disguise Self Cha mod. times per day (CL = class level)
    Mimic - Rogue ACF (Exemplars of Evil) - at 1st, 3rd level, 6th, 9th, 12th, 15th, or 18th level, Disguise Self 1/day (+extra uses by reducing the Trap Sense bonus)
    Psion (Egoist) - Change Shape

PrC:
    Acolyte of Ego (Tome of Magic) - Cadence of the Secret Mask (Disguise Self for 1 minute per class level)
    Eye of Lolth - non-Drow adaptation (Drow of the Underdark) Disguise Self at 3rd level, Alter Self at 6th level, and Polymorph at 9th level
    Faceless One (Dragon #300) - at 2nd level, Disguise Self at will; at 5th level - Alter Self at will
    Fiend of Corruption (Fiend Folio) - Alternate Form
    Mortal Hunter (Book of Vile Darkness) - Mortal Skin
    Psion Uncarnate - Assume Likeness
    Scar Enforcer (Races of Destiny) - Disguise Self (Elf or Human)
    Spy Master (Complete Adventurer) - Cover Identity
    Tiger Mask (Dragon #300) at 5th level - Alter Self 1/day
    Zhentarim Spy (PGTF p.78): Cover Identity

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

I... Didn't know that.
    PHB also says that it doesn't reshape you, so that's understandable. If you'll please pardon my rant:

Spoiler: it totally doesn't change your actual shape
    Show
    "Illusion spells deceive the senses or minds of others ... A glamer spell changes a subject’s sensory qualities". "You make yourself—including clothing, armor, weapons, and equipment—look different. ... The spell does not provide the abilities or mannerisms of the chosen form, nor does it alter the perceived tactile (touch) or audible (sound) properties of you or your equipment." Nowhere within the spell or its school/subschool is it suggested that it actually reshapes your body.

In fact, unless you hold the belief that it does change your shape without changing the way your body feels to others, it says the opposite. If you cast the spell and shrink, then someone comes around the corner and pokes the space above your head, they feel your ear. That makes sense if the spell is a change of appearance and is ridiculous if it's a physical change. Likewise, if you reshape your billy club into a large tuning fork, then hit it against a stone, it makes a <tunk> sound instead of a <tiiinngggggggg>. Perfectly sensible as an illusion, ridiculous as a physical change.

And it's a good thing disguise self doesn't actually change your shape, because it doesn't grant the new form's abilities, like vision and movement and breathing. If you handwave that away by saying (without evidence) that you've reshaped your body but retain your original body's qualities, you still have to contend with the fact that your original eyes might be 1 ft. below your altered eyes, so you're now seeing out of your neck. Or 1 ft. higher, and you're seeing from a point above your altered body. That you leave five-toed footprints even though you now have three toes. That the weapon you're holding doesn't turn around when your hands turn backward so you can impersonate a rakshasa.

"Alter" can refer to something's appearance as well as to its physical shape, as when you change a white cloth by dyeing it. When you read that sentence in the Disguise skill ("Magic that alters your form ..."), interpret "alter" in the broader sense and all the problems go away.
    Avatar by Meltheim: Eveve, dwarven battlemind, 4e Dark Sun

Current games list

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

Disguise self is not a polymorph effect, unlike alter self, polymorph and anything based on them. It's an illusion, not a transmutation; it can't even have the Polymorph subschool because it's the wrong school for that. That's an obvious basis for understanding that it follows different rules.

The Disguise skill -- an attempt to "change your appearance" -- is what lumps together disguise self with alter self et al. Effects that change your actual shape also happen to change your appearance, which can be used to create a disguise, which is all the skill description is talking about. That doesn't mean effects which change your appearance also happen to change your actual shape. (I mean, do you really think your body vanishes from reality when you change its appearance with invisibility?) And it certainly doesn't mean all effects that can disguise your appearance necessarily reshape your body.

Thousand faces calls out the difference between an illusion and an actual physical change: it "is not an illusory effect, but a minor physical alteration". The text making that distinction would be unnecessary if disguise self was intended to change your body. Disguise self is referenced to describe the limitations of the reshaping, not to state that disguise self also reshapes your body.

And the point remains that disguise self leads to nonsensical results if you interpret "alter" (as used in the Disguise skill) to exclude the possibility of only altering how something looks. If one reading of the text leads to inane results and another reading makes sense, use the one that makes sense.
    Avatar by Meltheim: Eveve, dwarven battlemind, 4e Dark Sun

Current games list

9. - Top - End - #9
    Firbolg in the Playground

Two more (old favourites of mine):
    1. MountebankDComp; gets Infernal Guise (Sp) at level 4, which is essentially Alter Self for up to 1/2 mountebank level + CHA modifier number of days;
    2. MountebankCS; gets an Alter Ego (Sp) at levels 3, 6 and 9, which is essentially Altrer Self at will, but the mountebank can only assume one specific form with each instance, ending up with four forms they can switch between at will at level 9.

Edit: Deepwyrm drow and half-drowDrM have Disguise Self as a 1/day SLA; if the lesser version is used for drow, both are LA +0.
    Edit (again): The Tainted OneRoF template (LA +2) gives Polymorph (into viper forms only) as a 3/day SLA; Yuan-ti can do the same at-will, but it comes with alot of RHD.
    Edit (again): SlythsUnd (LA +2, no RHD) have an Alternate Form (Su) ability. They can turn into an amorphous puddle with it.
    Last edited by Metastachydium; 2022-06-22 at 03:16 AM.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Troll in the Playground

Ninja Spy (OA) gets Alter Self at will.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Dwarf in the Playground

Added Yuan-ti purebloods. Alter Form at will into Tiny to Huge viper.

Quote Originally Posted by flappeercraft View Post
    Missed that it was a player oriented guide my bad. I did find some more options for players though
    Unyielding Form of Inevitable Death (CMage)
    Dreaded Form of the Eye Tyrant (CMage)
    Anarchomancer PrC (Not arachno, anarcho)
    And... Added. Thank you very much.

Quote Originally Posted by ShurikVch View Post
    Some more stuff...

Races:
    Fey'ri (Races of Faerûn) - Alter Self (any Humanoid form); LA +2 (but Lesser Planetouched rules...)
    Gnome, Svirfneblin (Underdark) - 1/day Disguise Self; LA +3
    Gruwaar (Dragon #317) - 1/day Disguise Self; LA +0
    Irda (Dragonlance Campaign Setting) - Change Shape (any Humanoid creature; 3/day); LA +2
    Seawolf (Stormwrack) - Change Shape (human or a wolf-human hybrid); LA +2 and 4 HD
    Tibbit (Dragon Compendium) - Feline Transformation
    Worghest (Dragon #350) - Change Shape (wolf); LA +2 (but Lesser Planetouched rules...)

Templates:
    Half-Doppelganger (Dragon #313) - Alternate Forms (three Humanoid forms of Medium or Small size); LA +2
    Magic-Infused Creature - Minor Polymorph; LA +1

Classes:
    Corrupter - NE Paladin variant (Dragon #312) - at 3rd level, Disguise Self Cha mod. times per day (CL = class level)
    Mimic - Rogue ACF (Exemplars of Evil) - at 1st, 3rd level, 6th, 9th, 12th, 15th, or 18th level, Disguise Self 1/day (+extra uses by reducing the Trap Sense bonus)
    Psion (Egoist) - Change Shape

PrC:
    Acolyte of Ego (Tome of Magic) - Cadence of the Secret Mask (Disguise Self for 1 minute per class level)
    Eye of Lolth - non-Drow adaptation (Drow of the Underdark) Disguise Self at 3rd level, Alter Self at 6th level, and Polymorph at 9th level
    Faceless One (Dragon #300) - at 2nd level, Disguise Self at will; at 5th level - Alter Self at will
    Fiend of Corruption (Fiend Folio) - Alternate Form
    Mortal Hunter (Book of Vile Darkness) - Mortal Skin
    Psion Uncarnate - Assume Likeness
    Scar Enforcer (Races of Destiny) - Disguise Self (Elf or Human)
    Spy Master (Complete Adventurer) - Cover Identity
    Tiger Mask (Dragon #300) at 5th level - Alter Self 1/day
    Zhentarim Spy (PGTF p.78): Cover Identity
    That's a lot. Not too found of Dragon Mag, so there is big chance I missed these.
    I would argue Spymaster does not qualify since nothing change its appearance. It just obtains a bonus on its disguise skill. Same for Zhentarim Spy.

Quote Originally Posted by Metastachydium View Post
    Two more (old favourites of mine):
    1. MountebankDComp; gets Infernal Guise (Sp) at level 4, which is essentially Alter Self for up to 1/2 mountebank level + CHA modifier number of days;
    2. MountebankCS; gets an Alter Ego (Sp) at levels 3, 6 and 9, which is essentially Altrer Self at will, but the mountebank can only assume one specific form with each instance, ending up with four forms they can switch between at will at level 9.

Edit: Deepwyrm drow and half-drowDrM have Disguise Self as a 1/day SLA; if the lesser version is used for drow, both are LA +0.
    Edit (again): The Tainted OneRoF template (LA +2) gives Polymorph (into viper forms only) as a 3/day SLA; Yuan-ti can do the same at-will, but it comes with alot of RHD.
    Edit (again): SlythsUnd (LA +2, no RHD) have an Alternate Form (Su) ability. They can turn into an amorphous puddle with it.
    I saw your post after the Yuan-ti addition. I agree it is barely for PC but I still added for completion sake.

Ninja Spy (OA) gets Alter Self at will.
    Aaaaand... Added! Thanks.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Titan in the Playground

Changeling isn't "any humanoid" it's "any visual appearance that fits within the parameters if disguise self". You don't gain the ability to change into any specific kinds of creatures, though you can look like them with a sufficient disguise check. You could also, however, change yourself to look like something completely made up that doesn't exist at all, because the ability isn't based on forms, it's based on appearance.
    World of Madius wiki - My personal campaign setting, including my homebrew Optional Gestalt/LA rules.
    The new Quick Vestige List

Quote Originally Posted by Kazyan View Post
    Playing a wizard the way GitP says wizards should be played requires the equivalent time and effort investment of a university minor. Do you really want to go down this rabbit hole, or are you comfortable with just throwing a souped-up Orb of Fire at the thing?
    Quote Originally Posted by atemu1234 View Post
    Humans are rarely truly irrational, just wrong.

13. - Top - End - #13

I saw your post after the Yuan-ti addition. I agree it is barely for PC but I still added for completion sake.
    I don't mind that at all! What I'd like to quickly point out instead is that the CS mountebank PrC gets the at-will Alter Egos and the DComp mountebank base class's Infernal Guise is the one with uses/day.

With that out of the way, here's a few more PrCs that might be of interest to you:
    Fist of the ForestCC gets Feral Trance (Su) 2/day in 3 levels; it's a kind of quasi-rage (which stacks with rage) that gives the fist claws and fangs to claw and bite with;
    similarly, Bloodclaw Master gets Shifting (Su) 2/day in levels; it's pretty much what the Shifting of shifters does, but with a single option to pick (a tigerlike thing with claws); and
    Scorpion HeritorSand has Scorpion Form (Su), gained at level 3, which is essentially 1/day Polymorph into a tiny monstrous scorpion only; and Tail of the Scorpion (Su), gained at level 9, which is kind of self-explanatory. It likewise works 1/day.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Bugbear in the Playground

Entomanothrope gains the shapechanger subtype.
    https://web.archive.org/web/20201112...d/re/20040621a

15. - Top - End - #15
    Titan in the Playground

Thumbs up Re: List of (almost) all way to change form!

Eagerly keeping an eye on this, will be a great resource.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ogre in the Playground

Warlock has the Spider-Shape lesser invocation, the Hellspawned Grace greater invocation, and the Dark Discorporation dark invocation.

Dragonfire Adept has the Humanoid Shape lesser draconic invocation.

Baleful polymorph and the Word of Changing invocation aren't on the list, but they are meant to be harmful so I don't know if they fit the theme.
    Last edited by Darg; 2022-06-22 at 07:14 PM.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Pixie in the Playground

Primeval from Frostburn is janky as hell, but has a Bear Warrior-style stat-addition shapeshift into a "Primal Form" that's any "prehistoric animal" like a dinosaur, dire animal, etc, with 8 HD or less.
    Last edited by DivineOnTheMind; 2022-06-22 at 07:39 PM.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ogre in the Playground

PRCs from Exalted Deeds:

Lion of Talisid: Wild Shape
    Sentinel of Bharrai: at will bear/dire bear forms
    Swanmay: Swan only Wild Shape

19. - Top - End - #19
    Dwarf in the Playground

I don't mind that at all! What I'd like to quickly point out instead is that the CS mountebank PrC gets the at-will Alter Egos and the DComp mountebank base class's Infernal Guise is the one with uses/day.

With that out of the way, here's a few more PrCs that might be of interest to you:
    Fist of the ForestCC gets Feral Trance (Su) 2/day in 3 levels; it's a kind of quasi-rage (which stacks with rage) that gives the fist claws and fangs to claw and bite with;
    similarly, Bloodclaw Master gets Shifting (Su) 2/day in levels; it's pretty much what the Shifting of shifters does, but with a single option to pick (a tigerlike thing with claws); and
    Scorpion HeritorSand has Scorpion Form (Su), gained at level 3, which is essentially 1/day Polymorph into a tiny monstrous scorpion only; and Tail of the Scorpion (Su), gained at level 9, which is kind of self-explanatory. It likewise works 1/day.
    Got it, my bad I mixed them together. I must admit it is hard to differentiate them since they have the exact same name and I never got the Dragon Compendium.
    FoF barely made it since it says your feet grow and can shred your shoes and your face and hands now are a bit different.

Quote Originally Posted by Bullet06320 View Post
    Entomanothrope gains the shapechanger subtype.
    https://web.archive.org/web/20201112...d/re/20040621a
    Wow, that's an odd one and pretty obscure. A nice addition to the list!

Quote Originally Posted by Thurbane View Post
    Eagerly keeping an eye on this, will be a great resource.
    That is an honor mr.Thurbane. I really appreciate it.

Quote Originally Posted by Darg View Post
    Warlock has the Spider-Shape lesser invocation, the Hellspawned Grace greater invocation, and the Dark Discorporation dark invocation.

Dragonfire Adept has the Humanoid Shape lesser draconic invocation.

Baleful polymorph and the Word of Changing invocation aren't on the list, but they are meant to be harmful so I don't know if they fit the theme.
    Invocations! Of course. Why didn't I look here?
    Baleful polymorph was already on the list but I didn't know about Word of Changing. I had a little hesitation to put Baleful on the list for the same reason. But it hurts nobody so, why not. And technically, I suppose nothing prevent you from targeting yourself... But I see no reasonable application to do so.

Quote Originally Posted by DivineOnTheMind View Post
    Primeval from Frostburn is janky as hell, but has a Bear Warrior-style stat-addition shapeshift into a "Primal Form" that's any "prehistoric animal" like a dinosaur, dire animal, etc, with 8 HD or less.
    Primeval, yeah. How could I forgot this one? Nice addition, thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Darg View Post
    PRCs from Exalted Deeds:

Lion of Talisid: Wild Shape
    Sentinel of Bharrai: at will bear/dire bear forms
    Swanmay: Swan only Wild Shape
    Sentinel of Bharrai is already on the list and to be honest, is one of the reason I made this list in the first place, because I love this PrC so much I wanted to see how many classes/PrC had the same feature. Being a bear, all day everyday, at will, no cooldown, no times/day, anything. You can now be a bear forever. So, so cool.
    BUT... I forgot about the other classes from the same book so... Nice catch!

And I would like to thanks everyone who participated, the list got pretty big really quickly. So thank you so much.
    If I made any mistake, do not hesitate to tell me. And if you have some more, I would gladly add them to this list.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ogre in the Playground

DrowGuy

Nobody names SI ongoing OC round? Berserk!
    If you could make anything and everything welcome to the Zinc Saucier XLV: Figaro

My competition's medals.

Spoiler: For purposes of clarity
    Show
    1109 is September, 11 - my birthday.

21. - Top - End - #21

Got it, my bad I mixed them together. I must admit it is hard to differentiate them since they have the exact same name
    Yes, they do! Isn't that glorious?

And if you have some more, I would gladly add them to this list.
    On it, chief! For now, I give you:
    the Half-Rakshasa (LA +3template)DraMag313 with Disguise Self as a 3/day SLA;
    HarssafsMM3 (6 RHD, LA +4; it has nice stuff, but it's very not worth ECL 10) with Sand Form (Su) that allows them to turn into a pile of sand at-will (mechanically identical to a Gaseous Form spell that doesn't grant flight); and
    Forestkith GoblinsMM3 (LA +1) with Tree Shape (Su), as the spell with the same name, technically at-will if I read it right.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Bugbear in the Playground

some dragons get alternate form https://www.d20srd.org/srd/specialAb...#alternateForm

Bronze at Young
    Gold at Wyrmling
    Silver at Wyrmling

those are just the ones on the srd, but I'm sure there are a few more out there that do, just dont have the time at the moment to go book diving

23. - Top - End - #23
    Ogre in the Playground

Sentinel of Bharrai is already on the list and to be honest, is one of the reason I made this list in the first place, because I love this PrC so much I wanted to see how many classes/PrC had the same feature. Being a bear, all day everyday, at will, no cooldown, no times/day, anything. You can now be a bear forever. So, so cool.
    BUT... I forgot about the other classes from the same book so... Nice catch!
    I love it too. I've currently got a warlock sentinel as a backup character and I'm thinking about using it some other time if I don't get the chance in this game.

We also play master of many forms with the shifter's version of evershifting form. The nerf was simply uncalled for.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Dwarf in the Playground

Aaaand the list has been updated accordingly to your suggestions. Thanks again everyone.

Quote Originally Posted by loky1109 View Post
    Nobody names SI ongoing OC round? Berserk!
    Nice one. Didn't check the new Iron Chef entry until I saw your post. Thank you for pointing it out.

Yes, they do! Isn't that glorious?

On it, chief! For now, I give you:
    the Half-Rakshasa (LA +3template)DraMag313 with Disguise Self as a 3/day SLA;
    HarssafsMM3 (6 RHD, LA +4; it has nice stuff, but it's very not worth ECL 10) with Sand Form (Su) that allows them to turn into a pile of sand at-will (mechanically identical to a Gaseous Form spell that doesn't grant flight); and
    Forestkith GoblinsMM3 (LA +1) with Tree Shape (Su), as the spell with the same name, technically at-will if I read it right.
    I love the Forstkith Goblin. Very sad you cannot dismiss Tree Shape by yourself and you have to wait... Otherwise it would have been really cool.

Quote Originally Posted by Bullet06320 View Post
    some dragons get alternate form https://www.d20srd.org/srd/specialAb...#alternateForm

Bronze at Young
    Gold at Wyrmling
    Silver at Wyrmling

those are just the ones on the srd, but I'm sure there are a few more out there that do, just dont have the time at the moment to go book diving
    Interesting. I am not going to list and/or looking for all of them since they will probably get the same Alternate Form 3 times per day.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Ogre in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

so there is Wild Monk I think it is from Dragon #324 and gains wild shape at level 6. Not a great class but still has wild shape.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by liquidformat View Post
    so there is Wild Monk I think it is from Dragon #324 and gains wild shape at level 6. Not a great class but still has wild shape.
    I missed your reply. It has been added, and some other races but with big LA so not really playable in a regular campaign.

Thanks.

(Learned that, if following RAW , Hengeyokai Polymorph Other is replaced by Polymorph... Which as a duration of rounds/level... Which makes 0 sense for this race actually since you can't tell what their "natura"l form is. As a Shapechanger type from OA that would probably be their Animal form I guess. But with the Dragon Mag update they became Humanoid (Shapechanger) and so, maybe their human form is their "natural" form. But since you cannot be sure, all forms are probably natural... And then the reduced duration is even dumber... One of the rare case where I would just call for a "Ignore RAW", mostly because I think the peoples who updated the race back then didn't figure that out probably and I don't think the duration nerf was intentionnal. But who knows?)
    Last edited by Condé; 2022-07-11 at 05:38 AM.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Troll in the Playground

(Learned that, if following RAW , Hengeyokai Polymorph Other is replaced by Polymorph... Which as a duration of rounds/level... Which makes 0 sense for this race actually since you can't tell what their "natura"l form is. As a Shapechanger type from OA that would probably be their Animal form I guess. But with the Dragon Mag update they became Humanoid (Shapechanger) and so, maybe their human form is their "natural" form. But since you cannot be sure, all forms are probably natural... And then the reduced duration is even dumber... One of the rare case where I would just call for a "Ignore RAW", mostly because I think the peoples who updated the race back then didn't figure that out probably and I don't think the duration nerf was intentionnal. But who knows?)
    Hengeyokai shapeshifting is Alternate Form (which used to function as polymorph self in 3.0) so it gets updated to the 3.5 Alternate Form ability, not 3.5 Polymorph.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Dwarf in the Playground

Hengeyokai shapeshifting is Alternate Form (which used to function as polymorph self in 3.0) so it gets updated to the 3.5 Alternate Form ability, not 3.5 Polymorph.
    Hengeyokai text specifically says :

This supernatural ability functions like the polymorph other spell...
    Alternate form doesn't get this kind of specification normally. (Like for True Dragon alternate form for example where no mention of this spell exist)
    Last edited by Condé; 2022-07-11 at 06:28 AM.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Troll in the Playground

Hengeyokai text specifically says :

Alternate form doesn't get this kind of specification normally. (Like for True Dragon alternate form for example where no mention of this spell exist)
    It did in 3.0 because that's how alternate form worked in 3.0. You can see it when you look at the OA monsters who have it too - they pretty much all reference Alter Self, Polymorph Other or Polymorph Self because 3.0 didn't have its own rules for Alternate Form. Those only came in the 3.5 update.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Dwarf in the Playground

It did in 3.0 because that's how alternate form worked in 3.0. You can see it when you look at the OA monsters who have it too - they pretty much all reference Alter Self, Polymorph Other or Polymorph Self because 3.0 didn't have its own rules for Alternate Form. Those only came in the 3.5 update.
    Interesting. I stand corrected. It makes perfect sense, thank you for your input. I was a bit sad for the poor Hengeyokai, not going to lie.