New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

DrowGirl

Default Is coffeelock actually broken

Or just a meme.

Seems to me it relies on infinite short rests, which.... Why is the DM giving you. Strait warlock gets infinite slots too, with infinite short rests.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ettin in the Playground

MindFlayer

Default Re: Is coffeelock actually broken

Quote Originally Posted by Skrum View Post
    Or just a meme.

Seems to me it relies on infinite short rests, which.... Why is the DM giving you. Strait warlock gets infinite slots too, with infinite short rests.
    Yes, but what can the warlock do with those rests? Best case scenario is the Warlock has a DM that allows them to rest whislt concentrating... which nets them one concentration spell for free and whatever non concentration spells they can cast. The sorcerer provides a way to store that power for use whilst adventuring.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Troll in the Playground

RogueGuy

Or just a meme.

Apart from what Mr. Stabby stated, there's also one more fundamental thing, evidenced by your choice of words of the DM "giving" short rests. RAW, Short Rests just happen once the conditions are fulfilled, and are broken once other conditions are fulfilled (this is to forestall the "at least one hour" objection to the Coffeelock; it's trivial to break a Short Rest after a full hour has passed). They are not something the DM "gives" you, unless there's NO player agency, and the DM literally starts telling you what your character does.

A week of downtime (which other characters probably will want to have every now and then)? Congratulations, you now have way more spell slots than you can use for a long time.

Now, some DMs will houserule Short Rests and Long Rests, either to stop Coffeelocks or other shenanigans, and this is perfectly alright, I probably would too, though only after playtesting it. But RAW, coffeelocks work perfectly fine (and yes, I mean RAW, not TRDSIC).

4. - Top - End - #4

DrowGirl

Quote Originally Posted by MrStabby View Post
    Yes, but what can the warlock do with those rests? Best case scenario is the Warlock has a DM that allows them to rest whislt concentrating... which nets them one concentration spell for free and whatever non concentration spells they can cast. The sorcerer provides a way to store that power for use whilst adventuring.
    Well being able to cast both (or all, at higher levels) spells every combat is pretty good. That's optimal warlock. And they need a single short rest to get it all back.

A coffeelock can I guess nova every combat? But then needs *multiple* short rests between combats to get all their stuff back.

It just seems to be built on something no DM in their right mind would allow.

5. - Top - End - #5

Or just a meme.

at its most broken it relies on doing 8 short rests instead of long resting while adventuring. and spamming short rests when you have a day or 2 in town (again, without long rests). with that said: its only broken in games that have significant adventuring days. the entire combo nets you an arbitrarily large number of spell slots. which only matters if ordinarily you'd be at risk of running out of spell slots. so if the campaign doesn't really require resource management, then :shrug: coffeelocking just puts you behind in spell progression for basically no gains

6. - Top - End - #6

DrowGirl

Quote Originally Posted by diplomancer View Post
    Apart from what Mr. Stabby stated, there's also one more fundamental thing, evidenced by your choice of words of the DM "giving" short rests. RAW, Short Rests just happen once the conditions are fulfilled, and are broken once other conditions are fulfilled (this is to forestall the "at least one hour" objection to the Coffeelock; it's trivial to break a Short Rest after a full hour has passed). They are not something the DM "gives" you, unless there's NO player agency, and the DM literally starts telling you what your character does.

A week of downtime (which other characters probably will want to have every now and then)? Congratulations, you now have way more spell slots than you can use for a long time.

Now, some DMs will houserule Short Rests and Long Rests, either to stop Coffeelocks or other shenanigans, and this is perfectly alright, I probably would too, though only after playtesting it. But RAW, coffeelocks work perfectly fine (and yes, I mean RAW, not TRDSIC).
    Wait a minute, can characters gain more than their maximum number of slots?

7. - Top - End - #7
    Troll in the Playground

RogueGuy

Quote Originally Posted by kazaryu View Post
    at its most broken it relies on doing 8 short rests instead of long resting while adventuring. and spamming short rests when you have a day or 2 in town (again, without long rests). with that said: its only broken in games that have significant adventuring days. the entire combo nets you an arbitrarily large number of spell slots. which only matters if ordinarily you'd be at risk of running out of spell slots. so if the campaign doesn't really require resource management, then :shrug: coffeelocking just puts you behind in spell progression for basically no gains
    I would imagine most of the "brokenness" would come not from the very large number of slots, but from the ability to metamagic ALL of your spells. But yes, I agree it's probably more broken on paper than in practice.

Yes, single-classed Sorcerers can already do that just by using their Sorcery Points with Flexible Casting. What Coffeelocks do is to transform Warlock slots into Sorcerer slots via Flexible Casting.
    Last edited by diplomancer; 2022-06-21 at 07:41 PM.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Troll in the Playground

This part of the build relies on the airbud defense. The rules don't say you can't, so you totally can. One of many checkpoints the coffeelock has to pass for the build to function how it's claimed to.

It all does technically work, but if at any point your DM says "no" you're just a normal guy again.

9. - Top - End - #9

I would imagine most of the "brokenness" would come not from the very large number of slots, but from the ability to metamagic ALL of your spells. But yes, I agree it's probably more broken on paper than in practice.
    idk, metamagic is typically seen as lack luster. alot of people think that the most optimal use for sorcery points is to just create more spell slots. but yeah, i mean having 'infinite' spell slots does also mean 'infinite sorcery points'. which still only matters in games where you'd normally expect to run out before the end of the day (i.e. several encoutners, or a few high stakes encounters).

Quote Originally Posted by ProsecutorGodot View Post
    This part of the build relies on the airbud defense. The rules don't say you can't, so you totally can. One of many checkpoints the coffeelock has to pass for the build to function how it's claimed to.

It all does technically work, but if at any point your DM says "no" you're just a normal guy again.
    it relies on a bit more than that, actually. although you are correct that it still relies on RaI rather than RaW

For one: the way sorcery points scale, you can get enough sorcery points to create spell slots that are too big based on your level. (for example, at level 6 you can create a 4th level spell slot and at levels 7-8 you can create 5th level slots.

and then on top of that it specifies that any spell slots you create go away when you long rest.

both of these together imply, fairly strongly, that the spell slots you create with font of magic are counted separately from your regular spell slots. if it was intended that you be limited by the spell slot table, there's not reason to include that clause.

not saying its ironclad: but it is a bit more than just 'well..the rules don't say you can't'
    Last edited by kazaryu; 2022-06-21 at 07:49 PM.

10. - Top - End - #10

NecromancerGuy

The simple house rule that prevents any broken shenanigans with coffee locks is that sorcerers can only create expended spell slots. Simple. Easy. Doesn't mess with the rest mechanics or get into any arguments. Makes the combination fun without breaking anything.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground

The rules explicitly say that you can't go above your sorcery point cap.

A reasonable interpretation would also cap your spell slots to what's listed (sorcery points recharging spell slots is all well and good without letting you stockpile more), but the rules don't officially mention a limit so you could in theory stockpile arbitrarily many spells in all your 1-5 slots.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Troll in the Playground

RogueGuy

Quote Originally Posted by ProsecutorGodot View Post

Quote Originally Posted by PHB
    Flexible Casting
    You can use your sorcery points to gain additional spell slots, or sacrifice spell slots to gain additional sorcery points
    Notice that it doesn't say "regain used spell slots". The feature clearly allows you to create new slots even if you haven't used any slot yet. If there IS such a limitation, it definitely should be mentioned here (by the way, like it mentions for Sorcery Points).

13. - Top - End - #13
    Troll in the Playground

DruidGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Anymage View Post
    The rules explicitly say that you can't go above your sorcery point cap.

A reasonable interpretation would also cap your spell slots to what's listed (sorcery points recharging spell slots is all well and good without letting you stockpile more), but the rules don't officially mention a limit so you could in theory stockpile arbitrarily many spells in all your 1-5 slots.
    I think this is more about being able to recharge your SP pool, which is 'designed' for a long rest, rather than over inflating it.
    For D&D 5e Builds, Tips, News and more see our Youtube Channel Dork Forge

Feel free to message for any build requests or challenges

14. - Top - End - #14
    Troll in the Playground

it relies on a bit more than that, actually. although you are correct that it still relies on RaI rather than RaW

For one: the way sorcery points scale, you can get enough sorcery points to create spell slots that are too big based on your level. (for example, at level 6 you can create a 4th level spell slot and at levels 7-8 you can create 5th level slots.

and then on top of that it specifies that any spell slots you create go away when you long rest.

both of these together imply, fairly strongly, that the spell slots you create with font of magic are counted separately from your regular spell slots. if it was intended that you be limited by the spell slot table, there's not reason to include that clause.

not saying its ironclad: but it is a bit more than just 'well..the rules don't say you can't'
    I suppose I can see the argument for that, taking that into consideration it might even be intentional that a Sorcerer can expend their SP to create a slot higher than they'd typically be able to for upcasting.

This is still a single aspect of the equation but I'll admit it's not as simple as I'd thought.
    Last edited by ProsecutorGodot; 2022-06-21 at 08:38 PM.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Troll in the Playground

RogueGuy

idk, metamagic is typically seen as lack luster. alot of people think that the most optimal use for sorcery points is to just create more spell slots. but yeah, i mean having 'infinite' spell slots does also mean 'infinite sorcery points'. which still only matters in games where you'd normally expect to run out before the end of the day (i.e. several encoutners, or a few high stakes encounters).
    In a way... some Metamagics, like Heightened spell, are very powerful, but too expensive to be really good; but if you can wave away the cost? And throw a "free" Silvery Barbs at it in the unlikely situation they make the save, so now they have to roll again, still at disadvantage?

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Pretty sure you only gain the benefits from resting when the DM tells you that you have successfully gained those benefits, kind of like how the DM tells you if you've successfully done anything. That said, if it isn't, I do highly suggest controlling when players gain the benefits of a short or long rest for all DMs. I find limiting both short and long rests prevents any single class from becoming "op" as it were.
    Never let the fluff of a class define the personality of a character. Let Clerics be Atheist, let Barbarians be cowardly or calm, let Druids hate nature, and let Wizards know nothing about the arcane

Fun Fact: A monk in armor loses Martial Arts, Unarmored Defense, and Unarmored Movement, but keep all of their other abilities, including subclass features, and Stunning Strike works with melee weapon attacks. Make a Monk in Fullplate with a Greatsword >=D

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Or just a meme.

So, its a broken meme. The coffeelock depends on one major thing to work: That your DM doesn't ever require you to take a Long Rest. Which is painfully easy for a DM to do, especially with Xanathar's rules to back it up. Keep in mind that "Long Rest" does not mean "You're asleep", sleeping and Long Rests are two different things. You also need a DM that would allow you to take 8 Short Rests in a row during a Long Rest.

That said, it basically works by converting Warlock spell slots into Sorcery Points, then Sorcery Points into normal spell slots. Due to the wording of Font of Magic, you can have more slots then you'd normally have, like 5 or 6 first level spell slots. And since those slots only go away on a Long Rest, if you stay up for a long time you can get bonus spell slots...theoretically. But the downside is that you still need to take Long Rests or risk Exhaustion levels.
    Never let the fluff of a class define the personality of a character. Let Clerics be Atheist, let Barbarians be cowardly or calm, let Druids hate nature, and let Wizards know nothing about the arcane

Fun Fact: A monk in armor loses Martial Arts, Unarmored Defense, and Unarmored Movement, but keep all of their other abilities, including subclass features, and Stunning Strike works with melee weapon attacks. Make a Monk in Fullplate with a Greatsword >=D

18. - Top - End - #18
    Troll in the Playground

RogueGuy

Quote Originally Posted by sithlordnergal View Post
    Pretty sure you only gain the benefits from resting when the DM tells you that you have successfully gained those benefits, kind of like how the DM tells you if you've successfully done anything. That said, if it isn't, I do highly suggest controlling when players gain the benefits of a short or long rest for all DMs. I find limiting both short and long rests prevents any single class from becoming "op" as it were.
    Player: "I drink the beer"
    DM: "No, you don't"

Perhaps not, but the DM has to come up with an in-story reason about why my character failed to drink the beer, usually some intervening circumstance that prevented it. Just saying "No you don't because I don't want you to" doesn't cut it.

So, its a broken meme. The coffeelock depends on one major thing to work: That your DM doesn't ever require you to take a Long Rest. Which is painfully easy for a DM to do, especially with Xanathar's rules to back it up. Keep in mind that "Long Rest" does not mean "You're asleep", sleeping and Long Rests are two different things. You also need a DM that would allow you to take 8 Short Rests in a row during a Long Rest.
    Xanathar's long rest exhaustion rule is, explicitly, the general rule for when the DM wants to account for the effects of sleep deprivation. If you don't need to sleep, the rule does not apply to you, in the same way that the rules for drowning don't apply to you if you can breathe in water.
    Last edited by diplomancer; 2022-06-22 at 02:53 AM.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Player: "I drink the beer"
    DM: "No, you don't"

Perhaps not, but the DM has to come up with an in-story reason about why my character failed to drink the beer, usually some intervening circumstance that prevented it. Just saying "No you don't because I don't want you to" doesn't cut it.
    Only problem with that analogy is that a Short Rest and drinking beer are two totally different things. Could be a variety of reasons you don't get to benefit from the Short Rest, to and including you recently had a short/long rest, and haven't done anything that would warrant you needing another one. Its the reason I use when Warlocks want to do the whole "I just finished a Long Rest, cast one spell, and take a Short Rest immediately afterward to have all my spell slots back". Nope, you don't get them back, go do adventuring first.

Xanathar's long rest exhaustion rule is, explicitly, the general rule for when the DM wants to account for the effects of sleep deprivation. If you don't need to sleep, the rule does not apply to you, in the same way that the rules for drowning don't apply to you if you can breathe in water.
    That's actually incorrect. The rule specifically states "Whenever you end a 24-hour period without finishing a Long Rest, you must succeed on a DC 10 Constitution save of suffer one level of Exhaustion.

After the first 24 hours, the DC increases by 5 for each consecutive 24-hour period without a Long Rest. The DC resets to 10 when you finish a Long Rest."

There is no mention of sleep anywhere in the actual crunch of the rules. Now, there is a mention of sleep in the paragraph above, when they give an example of when the rule might be used. But for the parts talking about the DCs and how long you can go without a Long Rest? Nothing is mentioned about sleep.

But I feel like I've had this conversation before...
    Last edited by sithlordnergal; 2022-06-22 at 03:26 AM.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Troll in the Playground

RogueGuy

Only problem with that analogy is that a Short Rest and drinking beer are two totally different things.
    Why? They are both a result of a character's actions. In one case, drinking the beer. In another case, spending at least one hour doing "nothing more strenuous than eating, drinking, reading, and tending to wounds." Like drinking the beer, those are not really actions which someone can fail to do. The DM can come up with reasons to interrupt that Short Rest, of course, and force the character to react in a way that he WILL do something more strenuous than those allowed actions, in the same way he can come up with reasons to interrupt the drinking of the beer. But he can't just say "well, your character HAS actually been walking for this hour, so he doesn't get it", when my character has in fact been sitting quietly reading a book.

Could be a variety of reasons you don't get to benefit from the Short Rest, to and including you recently had a short/long rest, and haven't done anything that would warrant you needing another one. Its the reason I use when Warlocks want to do the whole "I just finished a Long Rest, cast one spell, and take a Short Rest immediately afterward to have all my spell slots back". Nope, you don't get them back, go do adventuring first.

So, go for a sprint. In less than a minute, you'll be having saving throws against exhaustion. And "not having recently had a Long or Short Rest" is not a rules requirement for a Short Rest (and a good case can be made that, if you DO have abilities that recharge on a Short Rest that you have already spent, you are, by definition, not fully rested, or you'd have those abilities). Can a DM ADD that requirement? Yes he can, and maybe even should. But it's not anywhere in the rules. The game explicitly limits how many long rests you can get on a 24 hour period. It could easily have done the same for short rests, but designers decided not to. As a matter of fact, the RAI is even confirmed by official Sage Advice:

Is there a hard limit on how many short rests characters can take in a day, or is this purely up to the DM to decide?
    The only hard limit on the number of short rests you can take is the number of hours in a day. In practice, you’re also limited by time pressures in the story and foes interrupting.
    So it's NOT for the DM to decide, except through "time pressures in the story" and "foes interrupting", which I think is fair to generalize to other possible interruptions. But no such limit as "being too well rested". RAI, without interruptions or time pressure, you can Short Rest 24 times in a day (23, if your DM is very strict about it). If the designers intended giving DMs the power to NOPE a Short Rest after a character fulfilled its conditions (apart from the general DM's power to "NOPE" anything he wants to, Fireballs included), this would be the perfect moment to state it.

That's actually incorrect. The rule specifically states "Whenever you end a 24-hour period without finishing a Long Rest, you must succeed on a DC 10 Constitution save of suffer one level of Exhaustion.

After the first 24 hours, the DC increases by 5 for each consecutive 24-hour period without a Long Rest. The DC resets to 10 when you finish a Long Rest."

There is no mention of sleep anywhere in the actual crunch of the rules. Now, there is a mention of sleep in the paragraph above, when they give an example of when the rule might be used. But for the parts talking about the DCs and how long you can go without a Long Rest? Nothing is mentioned about sleep.

But I feel like I've had this conversation before...
    The "mention of sleep" that you passed over in your post says precisely when the rules apply, it's not merely "an example of when the rule might be used".

Quote Originally Posted by XGE
    "A long rest is never mandatory, but going without sleep does have its consequences. If you want to account for the effects of sleep deprivation on characters and creatures, use these rules."
    They couldn't make it clearer that this is about going without sleep, this has nothing to do with being "fluff", and they clearly mean "don't use these rules if a character or creature is not suffering from sleep deprivation".

They even explicitly say "a Long Rest is never mandatory"." Sure, it's not mandatory, you just die if you don't get one" is a very weird way to put it; by that criteria, nothing is ever mandatory except for involuntary processes (which are not called mandatory, because they just happen without anyone's will, so there's no need to mandate them).

Can a DM houserule that this rule applies even if the character does not need to sleep? Of course he can! But applying it to such a character IS a houserule; it's like deciding to apply the rules for a 3rd level scorching ray when someone casts a fireball because "fireball is too OP". It could be a reasonable houserule, but it's still a houserule. The rules for fireball apply when someone casts a fireball. The rules for exhaustion from lack of a Long Rest apply when someone is suffering from sleep deprivation.

And yes, this conversation has been had several times before...
    Last edited by diplomancer; 2022-06-22 at 05:49 AM.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Orc in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Honestly, it isn't broken. I've DMed for them, I've played them. They're fine. Even kind of lame once the gimmick wears off. You're always forced to use lower level tools than the rest of the party, and unless your campaign actually runs marathon-style and has gauntlets of 8 encounters, the benefits of being a Coffeelock are overstated.

No matter what you hear in forums, I don't think most people most of the time play 6-8 encounter days. If you do, then Coffeelock shines if it is allowed (and it probably won't be, broken or not).

Note, this is not me saying that coffeelocks are "broken," but this statement is very dubious. It's TRDSIC. The rules do not say warlock slots interact with sorcery points, you have to assert you can because the rules don't say you cannot.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Troll in the Playground

RogueGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Panda View Post
    Honestly, it isn't broken. I've DMed for them, I've played them. They're fine. Even kind of lame once the gimmick wears off. You're always forced to use lower level tools than the rest of the party, and unless your campaign actually runs marathon-style and has gauntlets of 8 encounters, the benefits of being a Coffeelock are overstated.

No matter what you hear in forums, I don't think most people most of the time play 6-8 encounter days. If you do, then Coffeelock shines if it is allowed (and it probably won't be, broken or not).

Note, this is not me saying that coffeelocks are "broken," but this statement is very dubious. It's TRDSIC. The rules do not say warlock slots interact with sorcery points, you have to assert you can because the rules don't say you cannot.
    That is indeed the ONLY dubious point, RAW-wise, on Coffeelocks (which is why it is the one Crawford fell back to as advice to DMs who are dealing with the "abuse" of Pact Magic and Sorcery Points, even though he had previously stated that this conversion, when not abused, is perfectly within the rules). Not the Resting Rules. Not the non-existent "you can't create additional spell slots with Metamagic points". But "is it possible to convert Pact Magic spell slots into Sorcery Points"?

So, the two rules that matter are these:

1- From the Sorcerer class description:
    Converting a Spell Slot to Sorcery Points. As a bonus action on your turn, you can expend one spell slot and gain a number of sorcery points equal to the slot’s level.
    2- From the Multiclass rules:

If you have both the Spellcasting class feature and the Pact Magic class feature from the warlock class, you can use the spell slots you gain from the Pact Magic feature to cast spells you know or have prepared from classes with the Spellcasting class feature, and you can use the spell slots you gain from the Spellcasting class feature to cast warlock spells you know.
    It's possible to read those two rules and conclude you can't convert Pact Magic slots into sorcery points, but since the second rule is permissive (it tells you things you can do) and the first rule does not have any requirements about the "nature" of the spell slot (a Pact Magic spell slot is still a spell slot, and the first rule says you can convert spell slots- not "sorcerer spell slots" or "spell slots from your spellcasting feature"- into Sorcery Points), I'd argue that this is a bad reading. But I do grant it's still a possible one. And I also think that, though this ruling DOES stop the Coffelock, it's a bad rule to apply to Sorlocks in general, and was not intended when the PHB was first published (and as a matter of fact there is plenty of evidence that it was not so intended); it's basically a patch for when the Coffelock exploit was noticed.

But it's definitely not TRDSIC. There IS a rule that says you can. It's right there in the PHB (the rule 1 I've just quoted). And there is no other, more specific, rule that contradicts it. There are plenty of rules that specify a spell slot from a specific class. Warlocks invocations have a bunch of them. Divine Smite used to have it, but it was errata'ed. Primeval Awareness still has it (which goes to show how bad it is... no one ever noticed that it follows similar wording of Divine Smite). The Sorcerer rule does NOT have that limitation, and never had it, it was clearly thought of from the first as a possible interaction.
    Last edited by diplomancer; 2022-06-22 at 06:09 AM.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Dwarf in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Or just a meme.

The Idea that the Coffeelock can stay up all night for 8 short rests doesn't work. You can't do that, its 1 long rest. Also, this is for the sorcerer Sorcery Points

Sorcery Points PHB p99[–]

You have 2 sorcery points, and you gain one additional point every time you level up, to a maximum of 20 at level 20. You can never have more sorcery points than shown on the table for your level. You regain all spent sorcery points when you finish a long rest.

So even if you did stay up for 8 short rests, your not getting more then your Sorcerer level in Sorcery Points, you can't save up like 60 of them from something crazy from sacking 4th level spell slots all night.

In the even if you did spend all day quickening EB, your not really doing more then the XBE\SS fighter is anyways. Better off casting a good control spell any day.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Troll in the Playground

RogueGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Pildion View Post
    The Idea that the Coffeelock can stay up all night for 8 short rests doesn't work. You can't do that, its 1 long rest.
    (Climbs on soapbox). DMs, I believe asking your players "please don't do X", for whatever X is, is a much healthier approach to the game than disputing fine points of law. This is even truer when those points of law are wrong, or at least very debatable. Just say "Yes, I know that technically all of this works. But I still believe it's disruptive, and I don't want it in this game. So please don't do it. If you made your character considering that you COULD do X, I'll give you a free rebuild". If the player says no to that proposition and insists on his "right to do X", they are probably not a good fit for this particular game, and should go and find another where his playstyle is accepted. But going on a long debate about whether "X is RAW" is counterproductive. What are you going to do if the player convinces you that X is, indeed, RAW? Allow it to disrupt your game? I suppose not. So go straight to the root of the matter, there is no special prize for being a "RAW DM".

Also, this is for the sorcerer Sorcery Points

Sorcery Points PHB p99[–]

You have 2 sorcery points, and you gain one additional point every time you level up, to a maximum of 20 at level 20. You can never have more sorcery points than shown on the table for your level. You regain all spent sorcery points when you finish a long rest.

So even if you did stay up for 8 short rests, your not getting more then your Sorcerer level in Sorcery Points, you can't save up like 60 of them from something crazy from sacking 4th level spell slots all night.

In the even if you did spend all day quickening EB, your not really doing more then the XBE\SS fighter is anyways. Better off casting a good control spell any day.
    Coffeelock is not about having a lot of sorcery points. It's about having lots of spell slots (which you CAN convert to Sorcery Points as long as you respect that maximum you've mentioned).
    Last edited by diplomancer; 2022-06-22 at 07:17 AM.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Ogre in the Playground

as long as you respect that maximum you've mentioned
    This is why it’s not broken, because there is a limit.
    Something Borrowed - Submission Thread (5e subclass contest)

TeamWork Makes the Dream Work 5e Base Class Submission Thread

26. - Top - End - #26
    Troll in the Playground

RogueGuy

Quote Originally Posted by animorte View Post
    This is why it’s not broken, because there is a limit.
    But that limit is awfully high, all it costs is your bonus action on some rounds.

Anyway, I think it's not broken because, in my experience at least, DMs, even good DMs, are terrible at policing the adventuring day, and so spellcasters already have enough spell slots as it is. Which is, incidentally, why I insist so much on "Long Rests are limited, Short Rests are not"; because at least a DM that has that mental attitude will tend to balance out the adventuring day better.
    Last edited by diplomancer; 2022-06-22 at 07:23 AM.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Titan in the Playground

Quoth Pildion:

The Idea that the Coffeelock can stay up all night for 8 short rests doesn't work. You can't do that, its 1 long rest.
    Is there a way to use this "rule" without requiring time travel?

Let's say that evening has come, and the party has made camp. You don't know if you'll be interrupted all night, but you hope you won't be. The sorlock in the party, for whatever reason (race, invocation, etc.), doesn't need sleep. The first hour passes: No ambush, the sleeping members of the party stay asleep. The sorlock decides "Well, this i at least a short rest now, so my warlock slots are back". The second hour passes: Still no ambush, same deal. All of this continues for seven hours. In the eighth hour, the DM rolls for wandering monsters, which may or may not interrupt the party's rest. If they don't, then the party members who needed a long rest have gotten it. If they do, then nobody's gotten a long rest. If the sorlock has been using their warlock spell slots all night, and the 8 hours finish, do you go back in time and erase all those short rests? If the sorlock hasn't been using their warlock spell slots, and the final hour is interrupted, do you go back in time and give them seven short rests?

As for the sleep vs. long rest question, there are multiple abilities in the game that say "you don't need to sleep". That seems to suggest that, ordinarily, you do need sleep. What are the rules for needing sleep? If they're the Xanathar's rules, then not needing sleep mean that you're not subject to those rules. If they're not, then there aren't actually any rules for needing sleep. If everybody needs long rests but nobody needs sleep, then those abilities are meaningless.
    Time travels in divers paces with divers persons.
    As You Like It, III:ii:328

Chronos's Unalliterative Skillmonkey Guide
    Current Homebrew: 5th edition psionics

28. - Top - End - #28
    Ogre in the Playground

But that limit is awfully high, all it costs is your bonus action on some rounds.
    I meant a maximum amount if sorcery points:
    You can never have more sorcery points than shown on the table for your level.
    Something Borrowed - Submission Thread (5e subclass contest)

TeamWork Makes the Dream Work 5e Base Class Submission Thread

29. - Top - End - #29
    Troll in the Playground

RogueGuy

Quote Originally Posted by animorte View Post
    I meant a maximum amount if sorcery points:
    But every round you can spend sorcery points and then convert spell slots into Sorcery Points with a Bonus Action and still follow that rule. So "(functionally) infinite spell slots"="(functionally) infinite Sorcery Points.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Dwarf in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Chronos View Post
    Is there a way to use this "rule" without requiring time travel?

Let's say that evening has come, and the party has made camp. You don't know if you'll be interrupted all night, but you hope you won't be. The sorlock in the party, for whatever reason (race, invocation, etc.), doesn't need sleep. The first hour passes: No ambush, the sleeping members of the party stay asleep. The sorlock decides "Well, this i at least a short rest now, so my warlock slots are back". The second hour passes: Still no ambush, same deal. All of this continues for seven hours. In the eighth hour, the DM rolls for wandering monsters, which may or may not interrupt the party's rest. If they don't, then the party members who needed a long rest have gotten it. If they do, then nobody's gotten a long rest. If the sorlock has been using their warlock spell slots all night, and the 8 hours finish, do you go back in time and erase all those short rests? If the sorlock hasn't been using their warlock spell slots, and the final hour is interrupted, do you go back in time and give them seven short rests?

As for the sleep vs. long rest question, there are multiple abilities in the game that say "you don't need to sleep". That seems to suggest that, ordinarily, you do need sleep. What are the rules for needing sleep? If they're the Xanathar's rules, then not needing sleep mean that you're not subject to those rules. If they're not, then there aren't actually any rules for needing sleep. If everybody needs long rests but nobody needs sleep, then those abilities are meaningless.
    You know what, I'll give you all of this. But your CoffeeLock still doesn't have more then the max Sorcery Points, which they would have after the long rest anyways. If the CoffeeLock wants to use those points for EB spam, I'm fine with that, still don't think its as good as a Heightened control spell though. I think sacking the the lock slots on your days short rests for more points to use on things like Heightened or Subtle spells is way better use myself.