New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Anyway to justify Disguise Self not working with Assume Supernatural Ability?

I, in fact, did post rules quotes supporting the position that you're AGAIN saying no one has posted any rules quotes supporting. What's the point if you're not going to even read them?

The claim that the prerequisites to a feat will always allow you to use the feat without any further requirements is absolutely ludicrous. I don't think you've thought it through at all. I count at least a solid 28ish feats in the core rules alone where it is trivial to qualify for all the prerequisites and still be unable to use the feat's benefit. That's not even going into Complete Mage, which has another several dozen examples.

And you know what, I stand by Occam's Razor. The question is "What set of shapeshifting effects are similar to polymorph?" The simplest answer is "Polymorph effects." Occam's Razor.
    Last edited by Troacctid; 2022-06-24 at 03:36 AM.

2. - Top - End - #32
    Barbarian in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Default Re: Anyway to justify Disguise Self not working with Assume Supernatural Ability?

{Scrubbed}
    Quote Originally Posted by wefoij123 View Post
    Occam's Razor means: "It is generally understood in the sense that with competing theories or explanations, the simpler one, for example a model with fewer parameters, is to be preferred"
    {Scrubbed}

ah ? A smart move ? "I can already predict their counter arguments"
    1. They will come up with a reason to dismiss everything in this post and claim their interpretation is consistent with "Occam's Razor". And provide no rule quotes of their own.
    They did, keep telling you they did but you ignore them and keep on crying.
    or
    2. They will say Occam's Razor is irrelevant. That the feat is clearly saying "similar effect" is something specifically similar to polymorph self instead of an effect that alters your form with absolutely no rule basis and that specific trumps general therefore they are right.
    it does, if used correctly. If you use it to say "My surroundings are all very flat so Earth must be flat" and then proceed to throw every square meter you can find that is flat and be like "I'm right bitches, if you can't find one that's wrong it's because it's flat".
    or
    3. They will produce a feat that is exception to the norm and requires additional things other than those listed in its prerequisite as proof that I am wrong and why they're right.
    {Scrubbed}
    or
    4. They'll say the intent is clear that it doesn't work with Minor Change Shape because its similar to Disguise Self and not Polymorph Self. Which I believe is no longer true. In the same book that introduced the feat:Savage Species, we have a direct rule quote saying Alternate Form is similar to 3.0 Alter Self (which is 3.5's Minor Change Shape), and 3.0 Alter Self specifically says it lets you assume the form of creatures so there is enough to claim that it is intentional that Minor Change Shape works with Assume Supernatural Ability.
    If you want to keep on believing something that isn't true, you can, there is no rules against it BUT that doesn't make you right, {Scrubbed}. 3.0 was revised into 3.5. MCS is 3.5 ergo when mixing 3.0 and 3.5 you should know some stuff doesn't add up. {Scrubbed}
    5. They'll say the creation of the polymorph subschool defines what a "similar effect" to polymorph self is and therefore in the update, no matter what this feat worked with in 3.0, it now only works with spells and only spells with the polymorph subschool, because I say so. No rule quotes.
    Do you need a quote from WotC that tells you specifically that everything 3.0 is an outdated version and that you should focus on 3.5 content when that exists ?
    or
    6. How about an extreme nitpick? Technically, if you are incapable of assuming a form with a supernatural ability you selected, you can't use it, therefore technically you do require more things than what is listed in the prerequisite to use this feat. I wouldn't be surprised if someone here used this argument with 100% seriousness.
    {Scrubbed}

So no, I'm not biased here.
    {Scrubbed}
    Last edited by truemane; 2022-07-01 at 06:25 PM. Reason: Scrubbed

3. - Top - End - #33
    Archmage in the Playground Moderator

Metamagic Mod: thread closed.
    Last edited by truemane; 2022-07-01 at 06:23 PM.
    (Avatar by Cuthalion, who is great.)