New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 16 of 16 FirstFirst ... 678910111213141516
  1. - Top - End - #451
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Default Re: Aegis' Dungeoncrawler In-Character II

Zeiram addresses each question in turn, the raspy whisper emanating from the lich's skull still punctuated by the clicking of the skeletal jaw.

Turning to Liselle it responds "The Voice is presently in Solum. He can travel between the Dungeon and Solum freely."

To Alistair it responds "It is both simply part of my nature and personal to me. The Voice is the reason for my eternal imprisonment here within the Dungeon."

Lastly it responds to Levi "If such a method exists, I'm not aware of it. The Infernal Voice will not respond to any magical communication that he recognizes as not from his kin. I've tested many methods and this is the only one I've found to be reliable to any degree."

The Cornugon teleports, vanishing instantly, apparently deciding it was done waiting to see if any additional services would be purchased.
    Last edited by Aegis013; 2023-03-21 at 09:10 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Thatwarforged View Post
    You sir are a True Pirate Lord.

2. - Top - End - #452
    Titan in the Playground

Alistair

"Would you be willing to talk more at length?" Alistair asked, "I have so many questions, about you, about this place, the throne room..."
    TC for short

"I like the sense of chaos this game provides. OOC, I like that I cannot know every available avenue, but that I can pursue whatever avenue I so choose. IC, I like that what I am doing has consequences. It's very very real." --Noedig

3. - Top - End - #453
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Zeiram's skull nods in the affirmative to Alistair's inquiry. "It is my hope that we may be able to forge an alliance, thus it would be best to provide you sufficient reason to trust me. I will be glad to share some of my vast knowledge. Though first, I think it best to address your... creature comforts."

Zeiram reaches into his sleeve and draws from it a Horn of Plenty. A large table covered with a cornucopia of fruits and meats appears from thin air surrounded by twelve large ornately carved chairs. As quickly as the item appeared it is placed back into the sleeve of the lich's rich black robe.

Zeiram turns to the remaining Nightwalker and the Kytons and issues a single order: "Leave us." The creatures immediately do as they have been told.

"I'm postulate there is a wealth of knowledge you seek. I implore you ask anything you wish to know."
    Last edited by Aegis013; 2023-03-21 at 08:48 PM.

4. - Top - End - #454
    Ogre in the Playground

Orchid almost collapses on the spot.

"I-it can just go between Solum and the dungeon!? Was it possible that we were talking to him while he was in Solum? For how long?"
    My posting may be slowed due to new job.

5. - Top - End - #455
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Zeiram replies: "Yes, the Voice can travel between Solum and the Dungeon at will. I don't know if you have spoken with him in Solum, but it has been many decades since he set foot in the Dungeon."

6. - Top - End - #456
    Titan in the Playground

Abigail had remained silent throughout the exchange with the infernal voice, or as they learned, its proxy. Not wanting to alert it of everyone's presence in the group. When the portal closed and the devil left she did finally speak up though after hearing all that had been said so far. "I have to agree with Levi. That was not the Voice of the Dungeon, merely a mouthpiece it uses. Also anyone in Sol would not allow that to freely walk the streets." Abigail says once the devil has left. "And you say it can travel freely between the Dungeon and Sol which Dungeon dwellers cannot due without a great deal of help or unless enough of us do not go through the portal to stop them which begs the question are they drawn towards the Voice when they go through the portal in a rage to kill it, or are their actions truly random acts of violence? she points out to the others before saying to the others in their minds. "We know that our benefactor is a lot older then he claims to be from what research has been done. I thought he may have been some form of undead, however with this recent news, his involvement in the elixir, and that devil knowing many of us by name, including knowing that we work for Atticus." she points out while saying some of the same out loud. "Dose anyone else find it odd that devil none of us know knew who those who talked to it were and who we worked for?"

As the spread of food and is set out for the group Abigail takes a seat though declines eating. "I think the most important question should be at this moment how do we get out of here without killing you and your allies if we are to work together to defeat the voice? I suspect if we use the escape route we will be under a great deal of scrutiny from those on the other side which would only aid the Voice as we would have less influence and our powers would be questioned coming back from two delves without having cleared them, at least in their eyes. If we can find a way around this main issue I believe we will all be a little more at ease, after all you do not wish to die, nor your minions, nor do we want to be trapped here or help the voice in Sol in any unforseen way."

7. - Top - End - #457
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

The Lich lets out a raspy chuckle. "There seem to be some misunderstandings about the workings of things. It's no surprise given the history of the Voice's propagandizing efforts in Solum. I will address your points in turn."

"I don't believe that was a mouthpiece, but rather something like its true form. I can't be completely certain of this, though I have high confidence in this conclusion. The Voice would not walk the streets of Solum in that form, I'm confident it would take a more agreeable visage to interact with Solumites, if it walks the streets at all."

The lich pauses for a brief moment as if for emphasis: "Dungeon Denizens can't pass to Solum on their own, it is true. However, Solum's army is not what stops the Denizens from escape, but rather it is the will of the Voice. The same is true of any that have escaped to attack Solum. Solum's relentless violence against the Dungeon is simply unnecessary if not for the strings being pulled by the Voice."

"Regarding your egress from my halls, I can open a portal to Solum for you. Despite my best efforts, I'm not able to cross the threshold of such a portal but you should be permitted to pass. I'm not aware of the current structures of authority within Solum, thus my knowledge is not well suited to escaping scrutiny after you return. However, if you need to lie, I can provide you some aid in that, if desired."

The lich's skeletal hand slowly enters the sleeve of its rich black robe extracting a small belt with six Potions of Glibness, clearly the offered aid when it comes to lying. It casually tosses the belt onto the table hosting the Heroes' Feast.

8. - Top - End - #458
    Titan in the Playground

“What is your story?” Alistair asked, “who are the ladies in the throne room? How did you come to be imprisoned here?”
    TC for short

"I like the sense of chaos this game provides. OOC, I like that I cannot know every available avenue, but that I can pursue whatever avenue I so choose. IC, I like that what I am doing has consequences. It's very very real." --Noedig

9. - Top - End - #459
    Firbolg in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Levi does not eat though he plays around with his chair by moving it, making it as if animated, being invisible to the normal onlooker.

"Better yet. Are you once a Solumite?"

10. - Top - End - #460
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

To Alistair, Zeiram responds: "I am the unliving specter of death itself. The Voice is blaspheming the finality of existence and I am the shadow his sins cast. I was born very near to the dawning of the current age. Only three entities existed at that time: the Heart, the Devil, and myself: the shadow. A still beating Heart, freshly removed from a goddess' eviscerated cadaver. It holds the power to control the spatial fold between Solum and the Dungeon and it is in the hands of the Devil you call the Infernal Voice. My existence began with her death, so I thought it would be amusing to avenge her. The Devil created the Dungeon to contain me in order to have access to the Heart unimpeded by my presence."

To Alistair's inquiry about the women: "They are Solumites that preferred to remain as guests in the shelter of my halls rather than returning to Solum and dreading the imaginary dangers of facing the Dungeon again. I appreciated their company. Now they're basically taxidermy. They didn't wish to become undead whilst they lived, so their minds were not preserved."

To Yas' question Zeiram responds "You could consider me the second Solumite or the first Dungeon Denizen. I am simply me."

Spoiler: Sense Motive DC 30
    Show
    Zeiram wants that Heart for itself, quite probably for something nefarious that you wouldn't like. It is an ancient lich, after all.

Zeiram seems honest about being an enemy to the Infernal Voice.

Spoiler: Kn: History, Religion or Planes DC 30
    Show
    There are rumored to be scraps of heretical manuscripts regarded by especially knowledgeable individuals to be the scriptures of a long dead religion originating from the Dungeon which depicted a story with some parallels to what Zeiram described.

11. - Top - End - #461
    Titan in the Playground

"If the voice is who I suspect them to be, only the highest people in Sol would interact with the individual, and they would not find it odd for one of their own to have protections stopping any form of divination magic as well as Transmutation or illusion magic to make them appear differently." Abigail responds as the lich states he believes, from what he knows, that the devil and the Voice are one and the same.

"We have found sources that say that the Dungeon can shape people from Sol into creatures of the Dungeon. So does that mean the voice sends people into the Dungeon to make them stronger for his own goals, or to keep people from researching to much into the Dungeon? After all from what you have stated if we stopped going into the Dungeon unless the voice made it otherwise possible, the creatures of the Dungeon could not reach Sol. Which begs the question is the Dungeon all one large plane of existence, or multiple different min planes?"

As the lich offers them a way to open a portal back to Sol Abigail thinks on it for a moment. "But would the portal deliver us to the same place we enter the Dungeon? After all if it were just getting to Sol there are a few ways we could do so as well, its making it so it doesn't look odd that is the important part. I believe one of our ways keys to those in power that we had to retreat, unlike the standard portal when we defeat a Dungeon. It does however seem like a valid solution you have provided thank you." Abigail says regarding the lich's words and its willingness to seemingly help them escape the Dungeon so that they may work together to stop the Voice that plagued both the Dungeon and Sol.

"I have heard rumors of such a story, it is considered heretical by most, however in my search for my own religion and finding the Mother, and Father I did come across some, highly heretical manuscripts in Sol that seem to line up with what he says. Perhaps it is a thread we could explore more both in Sol as well as through contact with extraplanar beings?" Abigail suggests to the others as well as the lich as she saw no point in not sharing such knowledge.

Hearing that the women they had found in their tombs were once Solmites that like her in her younger days simply wished to enjoy the fruits of which the dungeon could give she could not blame them, and had a better picture in her mind of what kind of a person the Lich was. He respected their wishes to not become undead after all, and made it a point to preserve their bodies and stories, even if no one ever knew of them. "Could you tell us their names and what you knew about them from them, and how Sol was in their time? Perhaps it may help us all work together to stop the voice. After all knowing their names allows us to look for records of them in Sol, and combining that knowledge with what we gain from you we can shift out the lies that might have been told in the official documents." she points out, hoping the others could follow her line of thinking.

"And the first Solmite was the Voice?"

12. - Top - End - #462
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Zeiram provides answers to the questions in turn:

"Solum and the Dungeon are both part of the Prime Material Plane. The goddess' heart which the Voice holds give him control over the very fabric of the plane itself. He used it to create a spatial separation between Solum and the Dungeon. Thus, it is much like the Dungeon is another plane made of the dreams of things rarely fully realized. I suspect the Voice sends Solumites into the Dungeon both for its own entertainment as well as to obfuscate its own presence and machinations."

"I'm able to have the portal lead to anywhere which you are very familiar. Having you appear in a place least likely to raise suspicion is no issue for my powers."

Zeiram seems to have no opinion regarding the ways you conduct your investigation in Solum. You suspect it wouldn't be concerned even if your plan was to fill the streets with blood until you found what you needed. It is a lich, after all.

"Yes, I would say the Voice is the first Solumite."

Zeiram then leads you into the room where the preserved women sit on the golden thrones and recounts in excessive detail information it recalls about them. Due to the fluid nature of the flow of time between the Dungeon and Solum, it's not possible to tell exactly when these women came here, but it seems all of them were long enough ago that the culture of Solum was rather different in some ways - you estimate that since they were Delvers their names would've been recorded on the obelisk which now stands in ruin as a reminder of the last time monsters swarmed forth from the Dungeon to attack Solum. Finding additional records of them may be challenging upon your return to Solum.

13. - Top - End - #463
    Ogre in the Playground

Orchid stares at the bodies tapping a claw on her chin.

"Do you think it would be possible to commune with them through speak with dead?"
    Orchid suggests after sometime of looking at the corpses.

14. - Top - End - #464
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Zeiram replies "Animating their bodies, even temporarily in order to speak with them, would dishonor their wishes in life."

15. - Top - End - #465
    Ogre in the Playground

"I see. I will respect those then, as much as it could be helpful in our given situation. Are you already aware that there seem to be magic items that end up on Solum's markets that seem keyed to specific places and creatures?" Orchid asks, turning to the Lich.

16. - Top - End - #466
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Zeiram replies "I've only surmised what you now confirm. Given the Voice is not omnipotent or omniscient, he can't personally control where all of the Delvers he sends to the Dungeon go as his attention has limits. Despite that, he will likely be especially observant of you and your group now and may intentionally place you in especially undesirable or dangerous circumstances. If you have the option, it would be wise to avoid entering the Dungeon again for some time until the increased scrutiny passes."

The lich now asks a question of the group. "Do you have any suspects in mind who may actually be the Infernal Voice disguised in Solum, or what defenses you might face should you seek to challenge him? It would be in my interest to help prepare you, but my knowledge of Solum is severely restricted."

17. - Top - End - #467

AssassinGuy

Levi makes eye contact with the lich then to the corpses.

"I thought liches desecrate any corpses to create minions for their own ambitions. The patterns I've seen speak otherwise. Compare to liches I read or heard, that is respectful. Are family and wishes of those under your care exceptions to that rule? Or does it have to do with being a shadow and annoying the Devil?"

The last question's tone is laden with humour and spontaneity.

"As for the list of suspects, for me, I surmise royalty, bureaucrats, and advisors. Any high ranking officials. Normal citizen is a probability as well as outliers like a crazy theory that livestock or a pet could be a silver tongue manipulator in disguise. Atticus makes sense from the list of aspects my companion list. The King could be another because of his cadre of adventurer bodyguards, obscurity and being a possible enabler. Other enablers; queen, advisors, bureaucrats who do not want to get their hands dirty should not be discounted. The reason I added the average Joe/Jane is because the difficulty of sussing him out in a city is equivalent to finding a needle in a haystack. Very time consuming and troublesome."

Telepathy (All Allies): Anyone educated in nobility? The knowledge would come in handy now. We need to know more about the King, Queen, their advisors and bureaucrats we are reporting to.
    Last edited by Yas392; 2023-04-01 at 07:26 PM.

18. - Top - End - #468
    Titan in the Playground

"Solum and the Dungeon are both part of the Prime Material Plane. The goddess' heart which the Voice holds give him control over the very fabric of the plane itself. He used it to create a spatial separation between Solum and the Dungeon. Thus, it is much like the Dungeon is another plane made of the dreams of things rarely fully realized. I suspect the Voice sends Solumites into the Dungeon both for its own entertainment as well as to obfuscate its own presence and machinations."
    "This could explain why no one has returned that has tried finding land besides that of Sol. If the voice controls and separates the Dungeon from Sol and they are on the same plane perhaps there is a bubble around Sol, no doubt well over a few days out this way when and if something crashed into it and vanished, was destroyed, or teleported away no one from Sol would see it thus keeping up the illusion that there is nothing but Sol and the portal to the Dungeon." Abigail concludes, it would require looking into, but it seems the lich had given them much to look into and not a great deal of it would be easy to notice without drawing attention. At least this lead wouldn't seem so far fetched for a group such as them to perhaps "hire" contractors to try and map out the airspace around Sol and report back to them.

Zeiram then leads you into the room where the preserved women sit on the golden thrones and recounts in excessive detail information it recalls about them. Due to the fluid nature of the flow of time between the Dungeon and Solum, it's not possible to tell exactly when these women came here, but it seems all of them were long enough ago that the culture of Solum was rather different in some ways - you estimate that since they were Delvers their names would've been recorded on the obelisk which now stands in ruin as a reminder of the last time monsters swarmed forth from the Dungeon to attack Solum. Finding additional records of them may be challenging upon your return to Solum.
    As the group is given the information about these women Abigail notes their different culture's as that would be the best starting point and no doubt raise the least suspicion. Starting with learning about different cultures that once resided in Sol, and then looking into the "Hero's of their time" would seem, in her eyes at least, like a normal waste of time. She would have to spread it out in time though, looking at the different cultures, hire someone to look at different ones, which ran its own risks. Or the group as individuals would have to try and do it while appearing to be simply curious. For her taking an interest in history wouldn't seem odd, but she was unsure about the others and voiced this to them. "I think when we return to Sol we should invest or create our own air ship followed by making a crew for it that is loyal to us. People have tried exploring outside of Sol before, a bunch of people with more wealth then sense doing so again wouldn't seem odd. I also believe we should each take one of the cultures and women from this place and look into them, but slowly. Make it appear as if we have taken an interest in the culture and thus eventually are looking into the great delvers of said time so our research seems natural and doesn't arise suspicion." She says aloud to all gathered.

Zeiram replies "I've only surmised what you now confirm. Given the Voice is not omnipotent or omniscient, he can't personally control where all of the Delvers he sends to the Dungeon go as his attention has limits. Despite that, he will likely be especially observant of you and your group now and may intentionally place you in especially undesirable or dangerous circumstances. If you have the option, it would be wise to avoid entering the Dungeon again for some time until the increased scrutiny passes."
    "Doing this would raise suspicion in Sol after some time unless we went to work for one of the nobles directly which would be more dangerous as we believe as a whole I suspect it would be someone in that circle. Buying items that open very specific portals may in fact be best. Like the one we used to get here. And to help keep you safe as long as we can I also suggest we keep buying the keys that lead here to try and help you buy time and research into the voice more. After all we do not want a more violent group coming and destroying you and your servants again if we can avoid it if we are after all to work together it seems in both of our shared interests to keep each other alive. Which begs the question as you can open portals in the Dungeon is there a way each time we enter you could see where we were and send aid to us to help make sure we complete the Dungeon before recalling your aid before we are to leave?" Abigail asks, more out of curiosity then anything. After all if the Dungeon was to try and kill all of them it would be best for him to protect them inside the Dungeon and them to protect him outside of it.

The lich now asks a question of the group. "Do you have any suspects in mind who may actually be the Infernal Voice disguised in Solum, or what defenses you might face should you seek to challenge him? It would be in my interest to help prepare you, but my knowledge of Solum is severely restricted."
    "As Levi has stated I also believe it is one of the Royals, however such line of questioning and their protection as you could guess would be very powerful and any attempt we tried would be put down quickly without a great deal of proof. Former Delvers would be the Voice's first line of defense, and no doubt all the best gear that other Delvers have sold over the time. For instance they now no doubt are looking for ways to counter my healing magic now that they are aware of this group allying with you. It is why I do not like that we revealed ourselves to our enemy so soon as they know of us and can prepare, but we cannot do the same. As to what other defenses the voice may have, all those of a devil of its power to begin with, and its hands being possibly in politics for so long no doubt it can call in a lot of favors. So basically we would have to be prepared for every and anything. From mundane, magical, supernatural, and even unnatural depending on what that heart can do. For all we know he could try trapping us in the Dungeon if we became to powerful."

"There is just one more problem I think, if we say we defeated this Dungeon they will expect us to be carrying a great deal more loot then what we already have from the rooms we have already been to. I am not saying we should loot your home, but it is something to note." to the party she mentally asks. "Do you think the sword of wishes could replicate all the loot here so that we have at least half of the loot we would normally return with?"

19. - Top - End - #469
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Zeiram raises a skeletal finger to his bone-white jaw as though considering your words. "Solum is a monarchy now? Then it's a near certainty that the Infernal Voice is sitting on the throne. He is extremely proud and believes himself invincible. I expect he wouldn't be willing to relinquish even perceived power over himself."

To Levi's inquiry it replies: "These women stayed with me each for a decade or more. I learned to respect their wishes and have a greater understanding of those living."

To Abigial's it replies:
    On exploring the airspace around Solum: "As long as the goddess' heart remains with the Infernal Voice, Solum will remain isolated. All of the places that should exist in your world have been condemned to the Dungeon. I doubt any voyage from Solum would be fruitful, but your efforts could hide your knowledge of the truth from your foe."

On aid: "I will not continuously divine your circumstances as it will bring undesirable attention to you. If you're able to contact me, I will send what aid I can. While it's possible the Infernal Voice tries to frustrate my efforts, it is in my interest that you survive any future delves."

With regards to inquiry about the loot, Zeiram silently points to the potion belt of Potions of Glibness, seeming to indicate the lich thinks lying is a suitable way of mitigating any consequence of coming back with a lighter than expected purse.

After another moment's consideration Zeiram states "It may be dangerous, but I could portal you directly to the throne room as long as any of you are familiar with its location. There's a small possibility it is warded against such tactics but the element of surprise may be invaluable in your engagement. I believe I can also grant you protection against direct harm from the undoubtedly numerous Solumites guarding him so you could challenge the Voice now."
    Last edited by Aegis013; 2023-04-06 at 03:01 PM.

20. - Top - End - #470
    Titan in the Playground

"Are you stating that back when these women were alive Solum was not a monarchy? If so finding a lot more proof on who the Voice may be will become a lot more difficult. And without a good deal of proof the chances of us being attacked by everyone defending the Voice in their disguise are extremely high making the mission even more difficult." Abigail states looking to the others to see if they had any knowledge in the History of Solum. She was sure she could try to dig something up, but it would raise a lot of questions, and she wasn't sure she wanted to bring her family into this incase she failed they could claim ignorance.

"That would be the idea." Abigail replies to the lich as he states so long as the voice has the heart of the Goddess they would never find anything outside of Sol. "The longer we play dumb and continue to play the game the less of a target the voice can outright make us. If you kick a hornet's nest you have to make sure you have the proper protection or else you will feel their sting. By investing in small things that a normal person of Sol would do to try and expand our territory, as well as showing to the voice that while we spoke with you we may not have believed you gives it pause as well as few avenues of attack against us directly outside of the Dungeon until we are ready to launch our own attack on him to remove the heart from his grasp."

"Going on the offensive like that without proof at the moment is dangerous and unwise. We may beat the first wave of guards, and the second, but time would be against us as would all of Solum. I agree with your statement that it would not doubt be our best line of attack, however it is also the one he no doubt is expecting at this very moment. So the longer the voice goes unattacked the more paranoid it may become which could work to our advantage."

Abigail then looks to the others to see if they have anything else to add as the lich didn't seem worried about their loot problem.

21. - Top - End - #471
    Ettin in the Playground

Planetar

Fighting the voice for control of Solum... sounded way above her pay grade. That there might not be anyone better suited to the job than her current team was hardly reassuring.

Still, first things first. And the most urgent thing she could think of was...

Liselle pulls out a formerly very special +2 Greatsword, and holds it out to the Lich. "We bought this in one of the markets in Solum. There was an enchantment on it that brought us here. But it only seems to work once. Could you replace it? I don't think any of us are ready to take on the voice directly, and we may need a way to return here closer to the time."

They'd need to find somewhere 'safe' to store it in Solum, but that was better than having no means of returning at all.

22. - Top - End - #472
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by dantiesilva View Post
    "Are you stating that back when these women were alive Solum was not a monarchy? If so finding a lot more proof on who the Voice may be will become a lot more difficult. And without a good deal of proof the chances of us being attacked by everyone defending the Voice in their disguise are extremely high making the mission even more difficult." Abigail states looking to the others to see if they had any knowledge in the History of Solum. She was sure she could try to dig something up, but it would raise a lot of questions, and she wasn't sure she wanted to bring her family into this incase she failed they could claim ignorance.
    "Indeed. Solum as a society has had many incarnations, governments, and cultures throughout its now forgotten history. It has had forms of government that would be difficult to explain or comprehend given the narrow range of possibilities offered to you by the Infernal Voice's use of the Heart. However, they all share a common fate; when the Infernal Voice bores of them, he destroys them with a tsunami of monsters spawned from the depths of the Dungeon. Imagine that Solum to him is a stage in a theater. When the Infernal Voice decides it wants a new show, it clears the stage off, discarding and repurposing the existing life. However, life persists, even after all this time. Truly a marvel."

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Solum's never had a tsunami as there isn't an ocean.

"That would be the idea." Abigail replies to the lich as he states so long as the voice has the heart of the Goddess they would never find anything outside of Sol. "The longer we play dumb and continue to play the game the less of a target the voice can outright make us. If you kick a hornet's nest you have to make sure you have the proper protection or else you will feel their sting. By investing in small things that a normal person of Sol would do to try and expand our territory, as well as showing to the voice that while we spoke with you we may not have believed you gives it pause as well as few avenues of attack against us directly outside of the Dungeon until we are ready to launch our own attack on him to remove the heart from his grasp."
    The lich has no reaction.

"Going on the offensive like that without proof at the moment is dangerous and unwise. We may beat the first wave of guards, and the second, but time would be against us as would all of Solum. I agree with your statement that it would not doubt be our best line of attack, however it is also the one he no doubt is expecting at this very moment. So the longer the voice goes unattacked the more paranoid it may become which could work to our advantage."
    "I will offer you a solution to your guards problem. I can cast upon you a powerful ancient magic I crafted with one of my past companions in the attempt to experience what they described as love. It aligns those around with you. They become unable to cause you direct harm. Some will fall under your sway and obey you. Even those most shielded will be prevented from attempting you direct harm. However, there are certain limitations. It should protect you from any creature born of Solum, though the Voice and other Dungeon Denizens could still attack. The weakest of Dungeon Denizens may create inconveniences, though will likely be held at bay.

Quote Originally Posted by whoiam View Post
    Fighting the voice for control of Solum... sounded way above her pay grade. That there might not be anyone better suited to the job than her current team was hardly reassuring.

Still, first things first. And the most urgent thing she could think of was...

Liselle pulls out a formerly very special +2 Greatsword, and holds it out to the Lich. "We bought this in one of the markets in Solum. There was an enchantment on it that brought us here. But it only seems to work once. Could you replace it? I don't think any of us are ready to take on the voice directly, and we may need a way to return here closer to the time."

They'd need to find somewhere 'safe' to store it in Solum, but that was better than having no means of returning at all.
    "Yes, if we are to be truly allied against the Infernal Voice, you should have the option to take shelter within my halls. The Voice has not previously risked a direct attack on my halls." the Lich collects the +2 Greatsword into its skeletal fingers and infuses it with dark magic. Dark mists flow from the lich's robes around the sword, infusing into it. A vortex pear the pommel coagulates into a weapon augment crystal.

Loot:
    Zeiram Dollop - This Weapon Augment crystal provides its weapon the effects of the Bane weapon property against all enemy types on lethal attacks, explicitly stacking with up to one other source of Bane. (Market Price 50,000 gp)
    The Greatsword Key to Zeiram's halls is now a +4 Greatsword.
    Either of these items provide their wielder the ability to hoist them aloft in the air, functioning as an Escape Stone for that individual and designated willing allies within 50ft, however these items return you to the Lost Halls of Zeiram.

Returning the blade to Liselle the lich whispers "I seem to have let out more power than intended." then leans back. After a brief moment the lich turns its head toward Abigail.

"Ah, when you inquired about suspicions at your insufficient loot, were you requesting funding? I could have my minions go into the Dungeon to collect things for you, though doing so may put Solumites at risk. Not all of the undead discriminate what they collect from. I suppose you may have expected the same from me prior to our meeting."

He turns to Levi "The wraith that accompanied you vouched for your prowess, so I thought it needless to expend further resources testing if you may be capable of defeating the Voice."
    Last edited by Aegis013; 2023-04-16 at 01:52 PM.

23. - Top - End - #473
    Ogre in the Playground

While listening into the conversations Orchid finally speaks up. "Would you happen to know anything about locating others in the dungeon- if nothing else than their remains?"

24. - Top - End - #474

AssassinGuy

Telepathy (All Allies, not Lich): I do not mind being a chess piece to uncover the truth about this long century tit-for-tat fiesta. There is still a lot that we don't know about.

Levi tilts his head.

"So where is the wraith? I assume that hole led to it becoming part of your ensemble since this is your domain."
    Last edited by Yas392; 2023-04-19 at 12:25 PM.

25. - Top - End - #475
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by QuadraticGish View Post
    "Would you happen to know anything about locating others in the dungeon- if nothing else than their remains?"
    "It is not an endeavor into which I have invested any significant portion of time and resources. My halls are separated from the rest of the Dungeon and my preference is to keep it that way."

Quote Originally Posted by Yas392 View Post
    [B]"So where is the wraith? I assume that hole led to it becoming part of your ensemble since this is your domain."
    "The wraith encountered one of my lieutenants and was Rebuked into changing sides, at which point it was commanded to approach me with its report. It is now under my protection as an intelligent undead."

26. - Top - End - #476
    Titan in the Playground

"A few years back the Dungeon spawned a great host to attack the citizens of Solum. It was explained to everyone that it was because not enough people were venturing into the Dungeon to stop the creatures that were on the other side from coming through. There was great loss, but the tide was beaten back. Has that ever happened in the past before?" Abigail asks the lich, curious if the Dungeon overflowing into the city that one time could be a warning sign that the voice was growing bored, or that they had done something no one else had in theory done before. Stopped the voice, if only temporarily, once.

"I will offer you a solution to your guards problem. I can cast upon you a powerful ancient magic I crafted with one of my past companions in the attempt to experience what they described as love. It aligns those around with you. They become unable to cause you direct harm. Some will fall under your sway and obey you. Even those most shielded will be prevented from attempting you direct harm. However, there are certain limitations. It should protect you from any creature born of Solum, though the Voice and other Dungeon Denizens could still attack. The weakest of Dungeon Denizens may create inconveniences, though will likely be held at bay.
    Abigail thinks on this a moment before responding. " I have power that allows me to do something similar, though to a much lesser degree then what you describe. With what you describe, and a bit of careful planning on our end in Sol we could set it up so that whatever the voice does we can counter, even if not directly. After all the moment we attack and things begin to look serious he will no doubt try to appeal to our morals and attack the people by letting lose the Dungeon onto Solum. When he does that if we have counter measures in place, something I have secretly already been working on, anyone attacking him wouldn't have to worry about the people as they have already done everything possible to protect them and keep them safe as long as possible. After all this would be a game of attrition with the voice, and so long as the people can hold out long enough for us to wrest the heart from the voice in theory we win. As we do not need to kill the voice, only get the heart away from them and out of their reach. Defeating them would be ideal, but should not be the main goal."

"I don't think that would be best for our case. If your minions attack other people from Solum it might reveal a way here we haven't thought of. Which would create more trouble then its worth. Perhaps we tell them the story we found here, of a lich leading armies against some foe that we couldn't discern. They may buy that the lack of funding, as you put it, was due to the voice giving us knowledge." Abigail states, unsure honestly if it could work, but someone better suited to lying then her could possibly pull it off. She could try explaining it from her standpoint and it would no doubt grab enough attention in the inner circles to not raise to many alarms, but it had its own risks, of others wanting to see these written stories.

Spoiler: Telepathy to allies only
    Show
    "I agree, between the Journal and what we have heard and seen here there is enough suspicion to at least play both sides of the bored for the moment until we know what is true and what is false. I believe we should start preparing for a lot of things at once however, including ways to make it harder for us to be targeted while inside Solum. Do we think the guild could forge armor and shields strong enough to withstand any invading force for a short time? I could stock up more on medical supplies which wouldn't raise to many alarms, and in my free time begin burrowing out a secret place beneath my temple so that when an invasion happens the people are safe. Investing in an airship as well would help disguise our knowledge and goals I believe."

27. - Top - End - #477
    Ogre in the Playground

Orchid sighs. "Fair, I suppose it was wishful thinking."

"It might take time to make a return, but the academy would at least be a way of drawing in funds outside of the dungeon. I think even for me an airship is far out of my expertise to make, much less afford. Especially if we have to buy one instead of construct one."

28. - Top - End - #478

AssassinGuy

Telepathy (All Allies not Lich): We should start small and scrap together a safehouse we can reside. Doesn't needs to be fancy. It just have to be liveable. The question is whether the Voice scrutinize that move or disregard it out of amusement. Or we can continue to bunk with our buddy lich until we create our own secure space that avert the Devil's eyes.

"I suppose you won't return it to me even if I asked nicely?"
    Last edited by Yas392; 2023-04-30 at 07:51 PM.

29. - Top - End - #479
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

The lich ponders Levi's request momentarily and replies "If the Wraith wishes to go with you of its own volition, I will not oppose it." The wraith, however, doesn't appear before you during the conversation.

"If there are no further questions, I will open a portal for you to return to Solum. Once you determine you've made sufficient preparation to attack the Voice, I will provide whatever aid I'm able."

The lich leads you to another chamber where it casts a spell, opening a Gate to Solum. When the party is ready, you may pass through the Gate.

Spoiler: Trader
    Show
    Divine Scroll (Air Walk (700 gp), Discern Lies (700 gp), Mass Cure Light Wounds (1125 gp), Repel Metal or Stone (3000 gp), Astral Projection (4870 gp)) (total 10395 gp)

Dust of Appearance (1800 gp)

Heavy Steel Shield (Small) (+1 shield) (1170 gp)

Potion of Hide from Animals (50 gp)

Ring of Invisibility (20000 gp)

Wand of Darkness (11 of 50 charges) (990 gp)

Wand of Daylight (16 of 50 charges) (1440 gp)

Wand of Detect Magic (38 of 50 charges) (285 gp)

Wand of Mirror Image (35 of 50 charges) (3150 gp)

Wand of Shocking Grasp (17 of 50 charges) (255 gp)

Well of Many Worlds (82000 gp)

Spoiler: Armorer
    Show
    Banded Mail (Medium) (+4 armor) (16400 gp)

Breastplate (Small) (+1 armor) (1350 gp)

Breastplate (Small) (+3 armor) (9350 gp)

Breastplate (Small) (+4 armor) (16350 gp)

Buckler (Medium) (+3 shield)(9165 gp)

Heavy Steel Shield (Medium) (+1 shield, Bashing) (4170 gp)

Heavy Steel Shield (Medium) (+1 shield, Spell Resistance (15)) (16170 gp)

Heavy Steel Shield (Medium) (+5 shield, Moderate Fortification) (64170 gp)

Heavy Steel Shield (Small) (+4 shield, Improved Fire Resistance) (58170 gp)

Heavy Wooden Shield (Medium) (+4 shield, Moderate Fortification) (49157 gp)

Heavy Wooden Shield (Small) (+2 shield, Arrow Deflection) (16157 gp)

Heavy Wooden Shield (Small) (+3 shield) (9157 gp)

Hide (Small) (+4 armor, Greater Shadow) (49915 gp)

Spined Shield (5580 gp) (Medium)

Spoiler: Weaponsmith
    Show
    Adamantine Dagger (3002 gp) (Small)

Composite Longbow (Medium, +4 Str bonus) (+4 weapon) (32800 gp)

Dwarven Waraxe (Medium) (+3 weapon) (18330 gp)

Dwarven Waraxe (Medium) (+3 weapon) (sheds light) (18330 gp)

Greataxe (Medium) (+3 weapon) (18320 gp)

Heavy Mace (Small) (+1 weapon) (2312 gp)

Kama (Medium) (+2 weapon) (sheds light) (8302 gp)

Quarterstaff (Small) (+3 weapon / +1 less) (sheds light) (26600 gp)

Ranseur (Medium) (+1 weapon) (2310 gp)

Rapier (Small) (+1 weapon) (sheds light) (2320 gp)

Scimitar (Small) (+1 weapon) (sheds light) (2315 gp)

Short Sword (Medium) (+1 weapon) (2310 gp)

Short Sword (Small) (+1 weapon, Shock) (8310 gp)

Spoiler: Alchemist
    Show
    Elixir of Love (150 gp)

Elixir of Swimming (250 gp)

Oil of Bless Weapon (100 gp)

Oil of Flame Arrow (750 gp)

Oil of Magic Weapon (50 gp)

Potion of Bull's Strength (300 gp)

Potion of Cure Light Wounds (50 gp)

Potion of Darkvision (300 gp)

Potion of Lesser Restoration (300 gp)

Potion of Mage Armor (50 gp)

Potion of Rage (750 gp)

Spoiler: Scribe
    Show
    Arcane Scroll (Arcane Sight (375 gp), Greater Magic Weapon (375 gp), Protection from Energy (375 gp)) (total 1125 gp)

Arcane Scroll (Baleful Polymorph (1125 gp), Cone of Cold (1125 gp), Dismissal (1125 gp), Trap the Soul (13000 gp)) (total 16375 gp)

Arcane Scroll (Blink (375 gp), Cure Serious Wounds (525 gp), Magic Circle against Chaos/Evil/Good/Law (375 gp), Sculpt Sound (525 gp)) (total 1800 gp)

Arcane Scroll (Break Enchantment (1125 gp), Sending (1125 gp), Mass Bear's Endurance (1650 gp), Mass Owl's Wisdom (1650 gp), Greater Shadow Conjuration (2275 gp)) (total 7825 gp)

Arcane Scroll (Charm Person (25 gp), Protection from Chaos/Evil/Good/Law (25 gp)) (total 50 gp)

Arcane Scroll (Clairaudience/Clairvoyance (375 gp), Halt Undead (375 gp), Nondetection (425 gp), Sepia Snake Sigil (875 gp)) (total 2050 gp)

Arcane Scroll (Create Greater Undead (3000 gp)) (total 3000 gp)

Arcane Scroll (Fireball (375 gp), Stinking Cloud (375 gp), Suggestion (375 gp)) (total 1125 gp)

Arcane Scroll (Heroism (375 gp), Tiny Hut (375 gp)) (total 750 gp)

Arcane Scroll (Power Word Blind (2275 gp)) (total 2275 gp)

Arcane Scroll (Slow (375 gp), Arcane Eye (700 gp)) (total 1075 gp)

Divine Scroll (Baleful Polymorph (1125 gp), Symbol of Pain (2125 gp), Repulsion (2275 gp), Summon Monster VII (2275 gp), Summon Nature's Ally VII (2275 gp)) (total 10075 gp)

Divine Scroll (Detect Chaos/Evil/Good/Law (25 gp)) (total 25 gp)

Divine Scroll (Magic Fang (25 gp), Shillelagh (25 gp)) (total 50 gp)

Divine Scroll (Magic Weapon (25 gp), Searing Light (375 gp)) (total 400 gp)

Divine Scroll (Resist Energy (150 gp), Heal Mount (375 gp)) (total 525 gp)

Golem Manual (flesh) (8000 gp)

Spoiler: Wandwright
    Show
    Wand of Bull's Strength (44 of 50 charges) (3960 gp)

Wand of Cat's Grace (48 of 50 charges) (4320 gp)

Wand of Dispel Magic (48 of 50 charges) (10800 gp)

Wand of Eagle's Splendor (1 of 50 charges) (90 gp)

Wand of False Life (6 of 50 charges) (540 gp)

Wand of Fear (6 of 50 charges) (2520 gp)

Wand of Hold Person (33 of 50 charges) (design provides clue to function) (2970 gp)

Wand of Holy Smite (8th) (46 of 50 charges) (22080 gp)

Wand of Ice Storm (30 of 50 charges) (12600 gp)

Wand of Light (29 of 50 charges) (217 gp 5 sp)

Wand of Magic Missile (7th) (16 of 50 charges) (1680 gp)

Wand of Owl's Wisdom (28 of 50 charges) (2520 gp)

Wand of Restoration (14 of 50 charges) (7280 gp)

Wand of Restoration (8 of 50 charges) (4160 gp)

Wand of Silence (19 of 50 charges) (1710 gp)

Wand of Wall of Fire (28 of 50 charges) (11760 gp)

Spoiler: Orchid
    Show
    Not long after your return Solum, Orchid receives a Sending from Thanquil stating "I witnessed something I shouldn't have: the King consorting with a lich. I thought I saw you too. Tread carefully. I must go into hiding." You may return up to 25