New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 13 of 16 FirstFirst ... 345678910111213141516 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #361
    Firbolg in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Default Re: Aegis' Dungeoncrawler In-Character II

Levi stares at the sarcophagi with his blue eyes as the unholy taint is suppressed.

Telepathy (All): Any takers on opening the coffin before I blast it open? I kept the evil magics at bay but I am uncertain of the period it is active again.

2. - Top - End - #362
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Yas392 View Post
    Levi stares at the sarcophagi with his blue eyes as the unholy taint is suppressed.

Telepathy (All): Any takers on opening the coffin before I blast it open? I kept the evil magics at bay but I am uncertain of the period it is active again.
    Alistair casts fly, freedom of movement, and true seeing.

“I say blast it,” he said.
    TC for short

"I like the sense of chaos this game provides. OOC, I like that I cannot know every available avenue, but that I can pursue whatever avenue I so choose. IC, I like that what I am doing has consequences. It's very very real." --Noedig

3. - Top - End - #363
    Ogre in the Playground

"I think blowing it off is hasty- is there a way we can just open it from a distance?" Orchid asks from behind her cover.
    My posting may be slowed due to new job.

4. - Top - End - #364
    Titan in the Playground

"I have an idea." Abigail says to the others mentally before calling forth her unicorn companion and sending it to try and open the sarcophagi.

Spoiler: Str check
    Show
    (1d20+5)[23] to try and push the lid off with its head

5. - Top - End - #365
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

The unicorn is able to push the lid off of the sarcophagus, revealing a long dead corpse, twisted and deformed. It doesn't appear to be an undead, simply a corpse. The sarcophagus provided excellent protection from the environment making it impossible to tell how long the corpse has been there, though there are clear signs it was carefully prepared for burial.

There's no apparent treasure within. The Halls of Zeiram the Lich still seem just a bit too quiet.
    Quote Originally Posted by Thatwarforged View Post
    You sir are a True Pirate Lord.

6. - Top - End - #366
    Ogre in the Playground

"If there's nothing in there, maybe we should seal it back up." Orchid comments. "I really don't want to let my guard down here, but we haven't encountered much of anything and I can't tell if I should be releived that we haven't faced any danger or annoyed that our caution feels as if it's for nothing."

7. - Top - End - #367

AssassinGuy

Levi backs off to the hallway that borders the threshold of the chamber.

Telepathy (ALL): It could be my magic counteracting the danger that prevented it from springing up. Perhaps there is something to be had for it to rear its head. I am withdrawing as a safety measure and wait for the foul magics to exert itself back to observe a little longer. It is a shame that nothing happened when the aura is suppressed. If there is nothing happening after, I am off to the other unexplored chambers.
    Last edited by Yas392; 2022-12-30 at 11:01 AM.

8. - Top - End - #368
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

The Desecration returns, but the corpse remains inert. Nothing happens. The deafening silence of these halls looms as though foretelling some greater doom.

9. - Top - End - #369
    Titan in the Playground

As the sarcophagi is resealed and the others voice their concern Abigail joins in the conversation, riding atop her unicorn. It could be the fact we have the torches that everything is at the moment possibly inactive? After all who would normally see torches on the wall and take them just because they show two different colors? Perhaps it is simply a safty measure built into the place that no group walking with them is to be attacked or trigger the traps? It is merely an idea, but given the wraith never returned from that whole after we sent it in, nor did the swarms and those are the only things that have ever left the torch light so far it is a reasonable deduction. she explains to the others after they leave the desiccated room.

10. - Top - End - #370
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

With something akin to a plan of action, the group heads down the long hallway. The light of the torches reveals hidden doors on both sides of the hallway. Lots of hidden doors. There is a hidden door on either side of the hallway every 5 feet for a full stretch of 60 feet for a total of twenty-four hidden doors. There's no noise behind the hidden doors, nor are any identified to be trapped. There's no telling if there are other dangers behind them though.

The end of the hallway pivots into a stairwell leading further down.

11. - Top - End - #371

AssassinGuy

Telepathy (Abigail): Might as well give it a try. Perhaps we should experiment with being out of reach of the touches after some precautions.

The manifold doors causes Levi's eyes to widen.

Telepathy (All): I am not certain how paranoid the Lich was in protecting his tomb from burglars but this takes the cake.

12. - Top - End - #372
    Ogre in the Playground

"We're going to have to check every single one, aren't we?" Orchid lets out a sigh and looks at the many doors. She looks back to the sister.

"I can't think of any other potential explanation for why everything is so... dead. If you want to try putting away the torch, be my guest."

13. - Top - End - #373
    Titan in the Playground

As the many doors are revealed by the torch light and everyone states how they feel she wonders if it was indeed paranoia that caused him to do this. Each door could be a small crypt to his soldiers for all we know. Or it could be some kind of maze trying to turn us around. I will try going down one of them alone and see what happens once I get out of the torch light. Abigail says before casting death ward on herself and walking down the first hallway until she is out of the torch light and her own holy aura is the only thing lighting up the darkness near her. After all undead were harmed if they came near her light.

14. - Top - End - #374

AssassinGuy

Levi eyes glow blue. After his blue recedes, he sends his swarm forward to see if any tiles are rigged as he re-stealth.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Detect Magic.

Hide: (1d20+62)[64]

Move Silently: (1d20+28)[40]

15. - Top - End - #375
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

There appears to be no magic in the thin hallway of secret doors, and the swarms don't activate any traps. As Abigail leaves the torchlight and walks down the hallway she hears noises coming from behind the doors - ragged breathing, gasping and moaning. Whatever creatures are making these noises, they're unable to open the hidden doors from within. Abigail is able to simply stand near the noises until silence returns.

Further along a pressure plate is identified which would open the majority of the secret doors. The swarms were simply not heavy enough to activate it, though the trap isn't exactly well disguised, nor is the mechanism complex. The group disarms it without issue, and Abigail runs into some additional sounds from some doors a bit further, which she is able to stand near until silence returns.

It seems the idea was a group or adventurer would accidentally trigger the plate, being flanked by undead from either side in the thin hallway. An ineffective trap against delvers of your caliber.

The group is also able to test if the torchlight causes any change to the wailing and moaning undead once located by Abigail, but bringing the torches near the sounds causes no immediate change. It could be that the closed doors simply blocked the torchlight, or it could be that the torchlight just reveals hidden things.

Once it seems clear the group systematically pries open door after door and investigates. Each of them open into 5x5ft rooms, basically closets, and the majority are just empty.

Four contain destroyed Mummies, and four contain destroyed Bodaks. The undead which fell prey to Abigail's aura.

One contains a small stash of treasure:
    • Arcane Scroll of Magic Aura and Pyrotechnics (175 gp total)
    • Oil of Bless Weapon (100gp)
    • Marvelous Pigments (4,000gp)
    • 2,000gp

One of the tiny chambers has a tunnel in the ceiling, much akin to the tunnel under the sarcophagus on the above level. Based on your positioning, that tunnel and this one likely lead to the same place.

For destroying the undead each character gain 9,900 XP

Apparent Exits or Unexplored Areas:
    • The tunnel under the sarcophagi from earlier
    • The tunnel in the ceiling of the hidden room
    • Stairs down at the end of the hallway
    Last edited by Aegis013; 2023-01-08 at 03:47 PM.

16. - Top - End - #376

AssassinGuy

Levi whistles as the group uncovers the Marvelous Pigments.

Telepathy (All): We don't need to worry about not having teatime in any place and the amount of tea sets broken. No doubt we should not use this to make money. The shops and royalty will place an embargo on any pigment related goods if they found out where the goods come from in droves.

Once the party clear the closet, Levi checks what is ahead of the stairs with swarms and blue eyes while keeping himself before the stairs.

Show
    Blindsense

Detect Magic
    Last edited by Yas392; 2023-01-08 at 11:16 PM.

17. - Top - End - #377
    Ogre in the Playground

Orchid smiles a little. "Maybe we should use the pigments to create more pigments! Anyway, only one way to go now right?" Orchid waits for Levi to give the all clear on moving ahead.

18. - Top - End - #378
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

After the stairs twist around they come to a large wooden door, Levi detects a magical aura on the door. Concentrating for a few seconds, it's a faint Abjuration aura. Studying it briefly reveals this door is sealed with an Arcane Lock spell. However, other than the magic holding the portal shut, there's no trap or mechanical lock.

Levi is able to Dispel the Arcane Lock without much fuss.

Opening the door, you find yourselves standing atop a flight of broad steps that lead down into an immense chamber. Much to the group's concern there are what must be hundreds of armed figures in this chamber. At the two back corners are what appear to be two skeletons of giants hidden away in the shadows, more enormous than any creatures you've ever seen (Colossal size category).

However, upon investigation, it seems the armed figures are simply terra cotta statues honoring Zeiram's fallen legion. Though shortly after that discovery is made, the enormous skeletons begin to shift and move of their own accord.

Initiative:
    Colossal Skeletons (1d20+5)[9]

Abigail (1d20+2)[16]
    Alistair (1d20+11)[21]
    Levi (1d20+7)[12]
    Liselle (1d20+17)[33]
    Orchid (1d20+3)[4]
    Solstafir (1d20+9)[26]

All PCs have initiative, other than Orchid.
    Last edited by Aegis013; 2023-01-11 at 06:29 PM.

19. - Top - End - #379
    Titan in the Playground

As the party finds themselves in the next room surrounded by at first she thought were undead she began to charge up her powers to heal, however when it was proven they were only statues she calmed a little. The skeletons in the back moving however would finally be their first real enemy since they arrived in this liches tomb. Sending forth her unicorn to charge the two giant skeletons she watches to see if it sets off any teleporting traps or to see if they seem to be resistant to healing magic.

Spoiler: Unicorn Attack
    Show
    (1d20+11)[16] Touch attack Damage is from the CLW spell (1d8+5)[10] Will save DC 18 for half damage

Spoiler: If it appears healing magic isn't being effected here and the unicorn isn't teleported away
    Show
    Abigail seeing that her holy magic was yet impeded by any vile spells looks to the others and smiles before charging into battle with the undead creatures, something no one so far has ever seen the non violent priest do before.

Spoiler: Glowly Fingers of Death (I mean peace and love)
    Show
    Touch attack (1d20+5)[23] Damage 47 (Mastery of Day and Night + CL) + 5 (Healing Hands) + 8 (Augment Healing) +8 (Magic of the Land Auto pass)

20. - Top - End - #380

AssassinGuy

Hovering 10 ft from ground and moving back or forward to the limits of his blast range (60 ft) or not moving at all if he meets the specification, Levi charges up an orb of surging power before expelling the energies from his finger at the one of the colossal skeletons attacked by Abigail's Unicorn or Abigail herself.

Show
    Ranged Touch Attack: (1d20+12)[17] (+2 is from invisibility if applicable)

Expend Psionic Focus to get +4d6 damage.

Ranged Touch Damage: (11d6)[34]

21. - Top - End - #381
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Liselle makes her way through the terra cotta statues and swings her flail in a wide arc, bashing one of the enormous skeletons.

To hit: (1d20+9)[23] to hit, full power attack
    Damage (2d8+30)[39] damage

Alistair makes his way through the terra cotta statues to the other side of the enormous skeleton and attacks with his kukri.

To hit (1d20+13)[23]
    Damage (1d6+12)[17] plus (2d6+9)[16] sneak attack

Solstafir makes his way through and attacks:

To hit (1d20+17)[25]
    Damage (3d8+7)[19] plus 2 elemental

The zombie makes its way through and attacks:

To hit (1d20+16)[28]
    Dealing (1d8+17)[23]

22. - Top - End - #382
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

The team's combined efforts result in one colossal skeleton's destruction. The attacks create cracks in its bones which spread and splinter underneath its own immense weight. The first skeleton collapses into the terra cotta statues, smashing dozens of them with its fall.

The remaining skeleton, provoked by Solstafir's Iron Guard's Glare, turns its enormous claws against the dwarf.
    Claw 1:
    (1d20+16)[25] to hit
    (2d8+8)[13] damage

Claw 2:
    (1d20+16)[17] to hit
    (2d8+8)[15] damage

The dwarf is able to avoid any real damage deflecting deftly with his shield, though the blows ring out like a hammer on an anvil.

Spoiler: Enemy Status
    Show
    Colossal Skeleton 1 is destroyed
    Colossal Skeleton 2 is unharmed

The party may act.
    Last edited by Aegis013; 2023-01-18 at 09:36 PM.

23. - Top - End - #383

AssassinGuy

Levi gathers power again and fires a line of arcane energy at the sole skeleton.

Show
    Ranged Touch Attack: (1d20+10)[21]

Recover/Expend Psionic Focus to get +4d6 damage.

Ranged Touch Damage: (11d6)[42]

24. - Top - End - #384
    Titan in the Playground

Alistair

Alistair dives and rolls his way to avoid any attacks from the second skeleton, and gets into position to flank with an ally.

Spoiler
    Show

tumble take 10 for 27
    attack (7 BAB + 1 eq + 4 Dex + 4 Flank +1 Focus = 16 + Knowledge 3): (1d20+19)[20]
    penetrating strike (deal precision damage to anything): (1d6 base + 4d6 SA + 3 Knowledge + 23 (1 magic + 9 Craven + 5 int + 5 dex + 4 str)): (5d6+26)[36]
    skeleton immune to critical hits.
    TC for short

"I like the sense of chaos this game provides. OOC, I like that I cannot know every available avenue, but that I can pursue whatever avenue I so choose. IC, I like that what I am doing has consequences. It's very very real." --Noedig

25. - Top - End - #385
    Ogre in the Playground

Orchids swiftly slithers, moving to a better position and weaves a haste onto her allies.

Show

Move Action: Orchid moves to a better position to target more allies with Haste.
    Standard Action: Orchid uses her haste SLA, trying to affect as many allies as possible.

Spoiler: Orchid's Status
    Show

Temp: 0
    HP: 163/163

Sorcerer spell slots
    Cantrips: 6/6(Detect Magic, Prestidigitation, Light, Read Magic)
    1st: 7/7(Color Spray, Grease, Shield, Magic Missile)
    2nd: 6/6(Glitterdust, Wraithstrike)
    3rd: 5/5(Dispel Magic, Fireball)
    4th: 2/2(Shadow Conjuration)

Infusions(Can use any infusion at any time; anything slower than a standard uses a standard action instead; standards are now swifts)
    1st: 4/4
    2nd: 4/4
    3rd: 3/4
    4th: 3/3

SLAs
    Haste(2/3)

Scrolls(unless noted, assume minimum caster level)
    Lesser Vigor (6)
    Power Word(Pain)(6)
    Bonefiddle(1)
    Resurgence(2)
    Saltray(2)
    Warning Shout(2)
    Shield(2)
    Fist of Stone(2)
    Cloud of Bewilderment(2)
    Color Spray(2)
    Glitterdust(1)
    Ray of Enfeeblement(2)
    Web(2)
    Grease(Arcane)(2)
    Haste(2)
    Resist Energy, Mass(2)
    Slow(2)
    Fireball(3)
    Lesser Restoration(3)
    Remove Disease(1)
    Neutralize Poison(1)
    Restoration(2)
    Delay Death(3)
    Shield Other(2)
    Water Breathing(3)
    Wall of Sand(2)
    Wall of Water(2)
    Heal(CL 7)(1)
    Dispel Magic(5)

Potions(unless noted, assume minimum caster level)
    Lesser Vigor(1)

Other(unless noted, assume minimum caster level)
    Memento Magica(1st)(2)
    Memento Magica, Xansia(1st)(1)

Notable effects
    Spare Hand active(24h, used 3rd level infusion)
    Cloak of minor concealment: 20% miss chance
    Shudder Plate: If Orchid is in contact with the ground, she can sense the location of anything within 15 feet that is also in contact with the ground.
    Glaring Eye: Orchid has blindsense out to a distance of 30 feet.

26. - Top - End - #386
    Ettin in the Playground

Planetar

With one skeleton already down, it shouldn't take anything too fancy to get rid of the second. And Alistair was graciously offering to flank with her, so, might as well whack this one as hard as she could, too.

Spoiler
    Show
    Liselle moves into range of the second skeleton, and repeats her full power attack, but this time with a flanking bonus.
    "Attack" - (1d20+15)[24]
    "Damage" - (2d8+30)[42]

27. - Top - End - #387
    Titan in the Playground

Abigails unicorn rushes from the now dead pile of bones to the remaining skeleton, leading the attack with its horn.

Spoiler: Attack
    Show
    (1d20+13)[25] Damage (1d8+8)[15]

As the unicorn rushes forward to attack the enemy Abigale walks forward and holds her action, waiting to see if the creature is destroyed. If it is not and tries to attack one of her allies she reaches out and tries to destroy it with her healing magic.

Show
    Undead near Abigail take (1d4)[2] Damage, not much but it might make the difference between alive and dead.
    Constant Guardian feat being used on whoever is closest to Abigail to give them a +2 dodge bonus to their AC.
    Mobility feat (and dodge) used against the giant skeleton

I will use a CLW spell if the skeleton is still alive. Holding off on that though as I don't want to waste the spell if it is already dead.

28. - Top - End - #388
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Solstafir and his zombie go to attack the remaining big skeleton as well.

Solstafir:
    to hit (1d20+17)[30]
    damage (3d8+7)[18] +2 elemental

Zombie
    to hit (1d20+16)[23]
    damage (1d8+17)[24]

Abigail touches the Skeleton inflicting significant damage.

Spoiler: Enemy status
    Show
    The big skeleton has sustained 160 damage and is significantly damaged.
    Last edited by Aegis013; 2023-01-23 at 11:34 PM.

29. - Top - End - #389
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

The big skeleton responds to the positive energy from the healer, despite the Iron Guard's Glare, it turns its enormous claws against Abigail.

Claw 1
    (1d20+12)[18] to hit
    Deals (2d8+8)[11]

Claw 2
    (1d20+12)[15] to hit
    Deals (2d8+8)[11]

Despite the skeleton's size, in its weakened state, it isn't able to withstand the next round of attacks and is destroyed. It collapses into the terra cotta statues and smashing more of them.

Each character gains 1600 XP.

Searching among the terra cotta statues, there are some items which have value, enchanted weapons and armor and the like, though the magic is weak enough to simply be fodder for the merchants after the delve.

The value comes to 8,000gp

Apparent Exits or Unexplored Areas:

The tunnel under the sarcophagi from earlier
    The tunnel in the ceiling of the hidden room
    Large door at the end of the terra cotta army chamber

30. - Top - End - #390
    Ogre in the Playground

"Hm. You don't see weak magic items like these often." Orchid comments before stowing away one of the hardly magic items. "Let's check that door." Orchid then points at the large door at the end of the room.