New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 14 of 16 FirstFirst ... 45678910111213141516 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #391
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Default Re: Aegis' Dungeoncrawler In-Character II

Searching the door and determining that it is neither trapped, locked, nor enchanted in some way, the group pushes the large door open revealing a red carpeted chamber. Six golden thrones in two rows of three facing each other line the left and right wall of this ornately decorated and clean chamber. On the six thrones sit six well dressed figures.

Upon inspection, it seems the figures are well preserved corpses of women. The thrones upon which their bodies sit seem to project Magic Circle Against Evil and cast Gentle Repose on the corpses sitting on the thrones.

Ornate tapestries line the walls depicting coats of arms for each of the six women. Based on the context, these six may have been important followers or companions to Zeiram.

There seems to be no immediate danger, though the thrones are quite valuable. You estimate that each golden throne is worth 120,000gp, though they're much too large to fit into a haversack without some kind of manipulation.

There is a door at the far end of the chamber.

Apparent Exits or Unexplored Areas:

The tunnel under the sarcophagi from earlier
    The tunnel in the ceiling of the hidden room
    Door at the end of the throne chamber
    Quote Originally Posted by Thatwarforged View Post
    You sir are a True Pirate Lord.

2. - Top - End - #392
    Titan in the Playground

Alistair isn't sure what to think, so he inspects the coats of arms and thrones and corpses closer.
    TC for short

"I like the sense of chaos this game provides. OOC, I like that I cannot know every available avenue, but that I can pursue whatever avenue I so choose. IC, I like that what I am doing has consequences. It's very very real." --Noedig

3. - Top - End - #393
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

The coats of arms seem to indicate that each of the six women were from different noble houses. The women themselves, based on their features and dress are also apparently from different locales, though none of them are native to Solum.

4. - Top - End - #394
    Firbolg in the Playground

AssassinGuy

As usual, Levi creates two 15x15 walls with enough space to hide behind like in the room powered by a desecration effect, floating 10 ft above ground. He watches as Alistar interacts with the corpses, sends him and the others a telepathic ping to alert them of the walls and asking them for feedback. After the magician's inspection, the halfling warlock veil himself with magic to blend into his surrounding while scanning the room for magic and sending swarms to check the room for traps and danger.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Detect Magic.

Hide: (1d20+62)[69]

Move Silently: (1d20+62)[74]

Spellcraft: (1d20+14)[31]

Spot (beyond blindsense range of 30 ft): (1d20+10)[21]

Listen (beyond blindsense range of 30 ft): (1d20+6)[16]
    Last edited by Yas392; 2023-01-28 at 09:28 AM.

5. - Top - End - #395
    Ogre in the Playground

Orchid's eyes light up with avarice as she eyes all four of the thrones imaging all the things she could make and the investments into her own academy. Shaking off the sudden greed, she pulls herself back to reality and glancing around.

"Let's... see about coming back here later- I think we should move on towards the door ahead of us."
    My posting may be slowed due to new job.

6. - Top - End - #396
    Titan in the Playground

As the group find sthe rooms with the thrones Abigail notes the protections on each throne with curiosity. " Normally I wouldn't question why a lich would have four safe areas within his lair that his enemies could use as a bulwark against his forces however I'm starting to question how much we actually know about this lich, and if they are even a lich at all." she comments as she looks to the others mentally. "We have seen undead hear, as well as a desecrated room however most of the undead so far have been guarding something each time. We didn't really encounter anything besides this liches story up until we began coming towards these thrones and even they have protections on them that are more helpful than they are harmful to us. A lich would no doubt have spent a lot more resources trying to prevent healing magic from working yet I'm able to use it with ease. Something is not adding up and I don't know what it is. I think we should be very careful and note everything we see. This may be a kingdom like Sol thi fell to the Dungeon or something similar." the priestess explains before adding "let the dead rest in peace, the chances of taking one of those thrones with us is not worth the risk I don't believe ".

7. - Top - End - #397
    Ogre in the Playground

Orchids nods to the sister. "As much as I'd like the gold, I believe you're onto something. This doesn't seem to be the case of the typical lich you would hear stories about."

8. - Top - End - #398
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by QuadraticGish View Post
    Orchids nods to the sister. "As much as I'd like the gold, I believe you're onto something. This doesn't seem to be the case of the typical lich you would hear stories about."
    Alistair nods his agreement.
    TC for short

"I like the sense of chaos this game provides. OOC, I like that I cannot know every available avenue, but that I can pursue whatever avenue I so choose. IC, I like that what I am doing has consequences. It's very very real." --Noedig

9. - Top - End - #399
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

After investigating the door for traps and the like, the party pushes the door open. As the door swings open you are suddenly blinded by the bright lights beyond. A hall more than thirty yards in length and half as high lays before your eyes, lit as brightly as if it rested beneath the noon-day sun. As your eyes clear, however, the light is no longer your primary concern. At the far end of the room, gathered around an altar upon a dias, are three infernal forms. The guttural gibbering of their foul tongue echoing to your ears. Flanking them are twenty-foot-fall shadows, shadows shaped like men... shadows that move.

Initiative
    Enemies (1d20+6)[23]

Abigail (1d20+2)[20]
    Alistair (1d20+11)[12]
    Levi (1d20+7)[14]
    Liselle (1d20+17)[29]
    Orchid (1d20+3)[6]
    Solstafir (1d20+9)[16]

You recognize the enormous shadows as Nightwalkers, powerful undead. They have a bevy of impressive abilities and defenses.
    Of the demonic forms, there is a Cornugon, a large (Large size category) devil covered in horns and two human-sized (medium size category) Kytons, both covered in chains.

The Nightwalkers stand guard over the devils performing some ritual at the altar upon the dias.

Liselle has initiative.
    Last edited by Aegis013; 2023-01-30 at 02:16 PM.

10. - Top - End - #400
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Liselle rushes forward and attempts to slash one of the nightwalkers with her Greatsword.
    (1d20+19)[23]
    On hit it deals (4d6+12)[17]

The attack is a near miss.

The rest of the party may act.
    Last edited by Aegis013; 2023-02-01 at 01:45 PM.

11. - Top - End - #401

AssassinGuy

Levi sends information to his ally through telepathic link.

My suggestion is to run if every attempt to damage them fail. They seem to be beyond our league.

He then waits.

Show
    Withhold action to see what the others do first.

12. - Top - End - #402
    Titan in the Playground

I think interrupting whatever ritual the devils are performing may be best, after all if they have one nightwalker, it would be better if they don't get another for instance. Unless someone knows what that ritual is I would suggest trying to dispel the magic they are weaving together. As nightwalkers hate light I will try to distract it with Solstafir, Liselle, and whoever else wants to try their hand at taking on a undead of legend. with that Abigail calls forth the power of the heavens hoping feeling such good energy may distract the devils, as her eyes alight with fire which she sends at the Nightwalker, her halo of light trying to class with its own darkness as she and her unicorn go forth to try and distract it, trusting in the others to do what they can.

Spoiler: Actions
    Show
    Unicorn is going to charge the nightwalker (1d20+13)[30] Damage (1d8+8)[15] (The magic horn counts as a +3 magic weapon for the case of DR and such)

Abigail cast Celestial Aspect (Eyes of the Firre) and takes (1d3)[1] Strength damage to herself as it is a sanctified spell.
    Nightwalker takes (2d6)[7] fire damage, no save, no attack roll from it as a free action (which I will direct at the nightwalker each turn)
    I am also moving so it is within 10ft. of me if possible so it gets hit with my Holy nimbus and takes an additional (1d4)[2] Damage as it is undead. Add in I glow like the sun (lumonious armor) and just hit it possibly twice, I think I should have its attention. I will grant Liselle a +2 to her AC by taking a -2 to my attack rolls this turn thanks to Constant guardian (free action, DODGE bonus)

13. - Top - End - #403

AssassinGuy

Telepathy (Abigail): Good idea. That thought seems to be absent from my mind during the time of stress and self-preservation. I hope there is a magical backlash from a successful disruption.

Levi waves his hand at the circle from his cover (if there is one).

Show
    Dispel Magic: (1d20+15)[32]

14. - Top - End - #404
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

When Abigail approaches the Nightwalker it recoils, lifting its shadowy arms up in a defensive posture. Her abilities are clearly damaging it. The unicorn's attack also succeeds, goring into the undead's leg.

Levi's Dispel Magic unravels the devils' dark ritual. The Cornugan screeches in the infernal tongue. "Solumites! This wasn't part of the deal. I'm leaving!" announcing its intention (free action).

Alistair, Liselle, Orchid, and Solstafir still have actions before the enemies act.

Spoiler: Enemy Conditions
    Show
    Nightshade 1 has taken 21 damage.
    Nightshade 2 is unharmed.

Cornugan is unharmed.
    Two Kytons are unharmed.
    Last edited by Aegis013; 2023-02-05 at 05:08 PM.

15. - Top - End - #405
    Titan in the Playground

Alistair casts a wall of stone to cut off the damaged nightwalker from the other enemies, and seal them off to allow the party to focus on a single one of the powerful undead first.
    TC for short

16. - Top - End - #406
    Ogre in the Playground

"No time to waste!" Orchid states. She snaps her claws and speeds up the party! The Artificer then flies up into the air.

Show
    Standard: Activate her Haste SLA, make sure to get the frontline and then everyone else whose adept at fighting.
    Move action: Orchid flies up to the air 10ft.

Spoiler: Orchid's Status
    Show

Temp: 0
    HP: 163/163

Sorcerer spell slots
    Cantrips: 6/6(Detect Magic, Prestidigitation, Light, Read Magic)
    1st: 7/7(Color Spray, Grease, Shield, Magic Missile)
    2nd: 6/6(Glitterdust, Wraithstrike)
    3rd: 5/5(Dispel Magic, Fireball)
    4th: 2/2(Shadow Conjuration)

Infusions(Can use any infusion at any time; anything slower than a standard uses a standard action instead; standards are now swifts)
    1st: 4/4
    2nd: 4/4
    3rd: 3/4
    4th: 3/3

SLAs
    Haste(1/3)

Scrolls(unless noted, assume minimum caster level)
    Lesser Vigor (6)
    Power Word(Pain)(6)
    Bonefiddle(1)
    Resurgence(2)
    Saltray(2)
    Warning Shout(2)
    Shield(2)
    Fist of Stone(2)
    Cloud of Bewilderment(2)
    Color Spray(2)
    Glitterdust(1)
    Ray of Enfeeblement(2)
    Web(2)
    Grease(Arcane)(2)
    Haste(2)
    Resist Energy, Mass(2)
    Slow(2)
    Fireball(3)
    Lesser Restoration(3)
    Remove Disease(1)
    Neutralize Poison(1)
    Restoration(2)
    Delay Death(3)
    Shield Other(2)
    Water Breathing(3)
    Wall of Sand(2)
    Wall of Water(2)
    Heal(CL 7)(1)
    Dispel Magic(5)

Potions(unless noted, assume minimum caster level)
    Lesser Vigor(1)

Other(unless noted, assume minimum caster level)
    Memento Magica(1st)(2)
    Memento Magica, Xansia(1st)(1)

Notable effects
    Spare Hand active(24h, used 3rd level infusion)
    Cloak of minor concealment: 20% miss chance
    Shudder Plate: If Orchid is in contact with the ground, she can sense the location of anything within 15 feet that is also in contact with the ground.
    Glaring Eye: Orchid has blindsense out to a distance of 30 feet.

17. - Top - End - #407
    Ettin in the Playground

Planetar

The intelligence provided by her allies leaves Liselle in something of a quandry: Does she take the time now to Silversheen one of her weapons (letting her bypass their DR at the cost of only getting to attack once this round), or does she use Orchid's haste to wallop one as hard as she can, hoping to beat the DR by the sheer force of her blows? Eh, neither one was ideal. Maybe she'd be better off trying out her new Force Damage power? It was supposed to be pretty good at bypassing resistances, after all...

Spoiler
    Show

Swift Action: Power Weapon on her greatsword. 9PP (Her next 4 successful attacks with the greatsword deal Force Damage.)

Full Round Action: Full Attack (2 points Power Attack)
    "Attack 1" - (1d20+20)[35]
    "Damage 1" - (4d6+16)[32]

"Haste Attack" - (1d20+20)[24]
    "Damage Haste" - (4d6+16)[33]

"Iterative Attack" - (1d20+15)[27]
    "Damage Iterative" - (4d6+16)[27]

"Lightning Recovery" - (1d20+22)[27] To be used on the first miss of the round. -5 if used for the Iterative Attack.

18. - Top - End - #408
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Liselle cuts down the hurt Nightwalker with only two attacks, the shadows breaking apart and dispersing as the undead creature is destroyed.

Solstafir and the Zombie move to harass the remaining Nightwalker.
    Solstafir attacks:
    (1d20+17)[21] to hit
    On hit it deals (3d8+9)[27]

Zombie attacks:
    (1d20+16)[22] to hit
    On hit it deals (1d8+17)[24]

The Nightwalker's strange movements allow it to evade the dwarf and the zombie.

The Cornugan teleports out of the battle and the Kytons begin to rattle their chains when the feeling of the room turns much darker. Space folds in upon itself in a mind-bending display of distortion. When it snaps back to normal, it is clear that an ancient undead wearing fine black robes which do little to mask its decrepit skeletal features has teleported into the room and is hovering in the air.

Zeiram surveys the situation and speaks common in a coarse raspy whisper: "Solumites, I wish to establish a ceasefire so we may parlay. Please, cease your hostilities." The lich waves his skeletal hand in direction of the Nightwalker and Kytons.

The Nightwalker takes a defensive posture, not trying to attack or escape, while the Kytons immediately cease their rattling and kneel.

Spoiler: Enemy Conditions
    Show
    Zeiram is unharmed, hovering 10ft in the air

Nightshade 1 is dead
    Nightshade 2 is unharmed.

Cornugan has escaped.
    Two Kytons are unharmed and prone.

The party may act, or parlay
    Last edited by Aegis013; 2023-02-06 at 10:44 PM.

19. - Top - End - #409
    Titan in the Playground

Alistair

"Always better to talk talk than fight fight," Alistair replied.

Spoiler
    Show

knowledge (devotion) religion: (1d20+22)[30]
    TC for short

20. - Top - End - #410

AssassinGuy

Levi looks at the lich with measured gaze.

Show
    Knowledge (Religion) on Zeiram: (1d20+11)[19]

Sense Motive: (1d20+2)[10]

21. - Top - End - #411
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Alistair and Levi easily identify the being before them as a lich. Knowing that liches are generally supposed to be quite intelligent, it's likely that Zeiram simply wishes to avoid a costly battle if diplomacy is an option.

Zeiram adds more context seeing the solumites briefly hesitate to continue their slaughter indicating a potential for conversation. The raspy whisper is occasionally interrupted by the clicking of the lich's skeletal jaw:

"I bear you no ill-will, Solumites. While some of my mindless undead minions may have attacked you, they did not do so on my orders. I will not interrupt you should you choose to leave my halls, nor will I attempt to harm you without provocation. I am even willing to overlook any treasures you may have taken from my home thus far. With that said, I desire to recall the Cornugan which I purchased into my service to complete the ritual which was interrupted."

22. - Top - End - #412

AssassinGuy

Levi turns to the others.

Telepathy (His allies): What do you think?

23. - Top - End - #413
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Yas392 View Post
    Levi turns to the others.

Telepathy (His allies): What do you think?
    "We should talk some more, see if we can learn about this place or how he fits in with Solum, or what the ritual is for," Alistair thought.
    TC for short

24. - Top - End - #414
    Ogre in the Playground

Orchid gives a nod to Alistair

25. - Top - End - #415
    Titan in the Playground

Like Alistair I agree we should first find out what this ritual is, and what he intends to do. Just blindly accepting him summoning back another ally is dangerous for all of us on the chance we do not come to an agreement that is in the best interests of Sol and ourselves. Abigail says to the others through their mental link staying quite as Alistair has so far presented himself as their speaker, it would not prove advantageous to them to make it look like they were not a unified group against such an intelligent enemy.

Spoiler: Checks
    Show
    Religion (1d20+15)[33]
    Sense Motives (1d20+8)[23]
    Spot (1d20+6)[7] (To notice if anyone or anything seems to be slowly creeping towards them or seems out of place)

26. - Top - End - #416

AssassinGuy

Levi (All Allies): Diplomacy it is. So who will be our spokesperson? I will speak on our behalf if no one is stepping up.
    Last edited by Yas392; 2023-02-10 at 07:23 PM.

27. - Top - End - #417
    Ogre in the Playground

Orchid gives Levi a nod, allowing him to do the talking.

28. - Top - End - #418
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Seeming to sense your curiosity the lich explains: "I have purchased these devils into my service to perform a ritual which will allow us to speak with... the being I believe you Solumites refer to as the Infernal Voice."

The lich raises a bony finger to his chin and continues, his skeletal jaw clicking as his raspy voice emanates from the hollow of the skull. Listening to it is somehow reminiscent of waves crashing on the shore of a lake. As if this creature is as old as Solum itself.

"I expect you would be concerned and suspicious hearing this, particularly from me. Though if you have come this far, I anticipate that the opportunity to gain information about the Infernal Voice should be of interest to you.

If allow us to complete the ritual, I will let you partake in the spoils. Additionally a show of good faith, I will personally guarantee your safety as guests in my halls."

Spoiler: Sense Motive DC 15
    Show
    Zeiram knows more than it's telling you about the Infernal Voice.
    For such an erudite creature, it seems odd for it use the terms "if you have come this far".

The lich otherwise appears to be honest.

Spoiler: DC 30
    Show
    The lich seems honest, though you detect the faintest hint of doubt in the lich's voice when it guarantees your safety. It's reminiscent of an old wound, rather than malicious intent.
    Last edited by Aegis013; 2023-02-20 at 09:34 AM.

29. - Top - End - #419

AssassinGuy

Levi puts a hand on his chin.

"We would like some time to think about it. We will get back to you as soon as we have a response."

Telepathy (Allies): Sense any ulterior motives? I can't get a whiff of him.

30. - Top - End - #420
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

The lich's skull nods in the slightest, indicating it is willing to wait until you complete your deliberation.