New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 15 of 16 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213141516 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #421
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Aegis' Dungeoncrawler In-Character II

Alistair shrugs.

"Seems reasonable to me," he thinks to the group.
    TC for short

"I like the sense of chaos this game provides. OOC, I like that I cannot know every available avenue, but that I can pursue whatever avenue I so choose. IC, I like that what I am doing has consequences. It's very very real." --Noedig

2. - Top - End - #422
    Titan in the Playground

Abigail listens to the lich's words however something seems off to her as she listens, as if he isn't exactly telling them everything. Levi I can't say for a fact what his motives are, but I can say he is hiding what he knows about the infernal voice from us. He knows more then he is letting on, and well by the fact he has a ritual to try and talk to it that makes sense. It also is odd that a lich, a creature known for their vast intelligence would use the phrase "If you have come this far, as if he didn't know we were even here this entire time until we interrupted the ritual. I am no expert in magic or the like but I know if I was a lich worried about people coming to kill me I would have mental alarms going off in my head the moment anyone entered my domain. she says letting this sink in and allowing him time to transfer her thoughts to the others before adding, From what I can gather he is being honest about offering us safe passage in his halls and such however. Though our job is to protect Sol, sacrificing their safety to make our job easier doesn't exactly seem like a good trade. As he would be getting whatever the infernal voice grants us as well, and unlike us I highly doubt he would hold back on eating as much of the fruit as he could manage. I would question him along the lines of what he is hiding about the voice and proceed from their Levi. Abigail says not letting her guard down for a moment, after all the longer this took, the less of their spells would still be active. This could be a delay tactic, and even if it wasn't, time was not on their side.

3. - Top - End - #423
    Ogre in the Playground

Orchid glances at Levi and speaks back to him through his telepathy. "I can't get a read on him at all. Still, I think we should see what happens here. He did immediately wish to stop any fighting once he was aware of it. Why does it seem like so many others outside of Solum know about the voice?"
    My posting may be slowed due to new job.

4. - Top - End - #424
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Zeiram's skull tilts slightly seeming to intuit your hesitation. "I understand it is likely difficult to trust a Dungeon Denizen given Solum's culture. I wish to avoid outright conflict as I value the unlife of my servants. I anticipate you would deal a devastating blow to my forces should diplomacy fail. What further reassurance do you require to assuage your concerns?"

After a moment's silence the raspy whisper continues, punctuated by the occasional clicking of the lich's jaw.

"Perhaps information about the secrets of the Dungeon? Most Solumites who reach my halls have questions for which they haven't found answers."
    Quote Originally Posted by Thatwarforged View Post
    You sir are a True Pirate Lord.

5. - Top - End - #425
    Firbolg in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Telepathy (All Allies): I see.

Levi makes eye contact with the lich.

"Can you tell us more about the ritual and infernal voice?"

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Diplomacy: (1d20+13)[33]

6. - Top - End - #426
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Zeiram continues floating in place, its black robes still not exactly obscuring the fact that its body is apparently entirely skeletal. "The ritual will open a communication channel with the Infernal Voice. It would be similar to what you would know as Scrying, although it allows two-way communication. This also means the Infernal Voice will be able to see us as well. My intention in contacting the Infernal Voice is to make an effort to distract it in order to gain additional information and advantage over it."

The clicking of the skeletal jaw still punctuates the raspy whispers. Skeletal fingers idly touch the bony jaw of the lich's skull as it speaks.

"The Voice is a being like unto a god. It may indeed be a god of some kind, though I have determined it to be a Devil. Perhaps it is a Devil-god. It wields incredible control over the Dungeon, though I have learned it is neither omnipotent nor omniscient. It can be deceived, taken by surprise, and I postulate it can be killed. I hope to gain leverage with this gambit in order to determine the optimal course of action to achieve my purposes. My aim is stop the relentless onslaught of Solumites into my halls. I grow weary of killing your kind and having my servants destroyed and my form broken." the lich's skeletal fingers gesture to its own corporeal form. "Only to endlessly reconstitute to find my halls picked clean and my assemblage of servants vanquished."

"While I found amusement in it the first several thousand or so times, before I lost count, relishing in my own blasphemous power, this endless cycle has begun to bore me. I have also found Solumites with their own intelligence to be better company than mindless servitors." The lich gestures to the Nightwalker. "Or contractually obligate servants wielding infantile intellects." The lich gestures to the kneeling Kytons.

"You should know that contacting the Infernal Voice always carries risk, though I estimate our chances of dredging up information of adequate utility to justify the danger is vastly improved with your cooperation. Additionally by using employed Devils to perform the ritual, it frees us to take other courses of action and will provide some mitigation against the dangers of making contact. I expect the ritual would fail should I perform it personally, though the Voice answers when it called upon by its kin."

The lich briefly falls silent before inquiring "Is this sufficient? Or do you seek further knowledge?"
    Last edited by Aegis013; 2023-02-24 at 05:14 PM.

7. - Top - End - #427
    Titan in the Playground

As the lich explains his reasoning for wanting to talk to the infernal voice as well as what it has learned about it so far she sees a potential ally in this lich, after all, while he had been hiding information he was more than willing to share it with the group, and what he said seemed true. And why would he admit he enjoyed killing Solmites for thousands of years and got bored of it if it wasn't? It sounds like a truthful story to me Levi. Add in the fact he admitted to at one point having no problem killing our kind it doesn't make sense to lie about the rest. Perhaps you could ask him to help in our protections against the infernal voice as we help him as well with our own spells, this way we can face whatever comes at us together. The one thing I worry about though is that his minions may not share his same feelings. They are as he put it, being paid to do this. So I would be cautious about giving any protections to them if we do reach this agreement so we do not get backstabbed.

8. - Top - End - #428

AssassinGuy

Levi hangs his head as if reflecting from the lich's information.

Telepathy (ALL): Seems like we need a threat assessment and the insurance from the backlash of the ritual.

Sensing no deceit, he looks to the lich.

"More information sounds about right. We have more questions that needs answering and small requests before we allow the ritual to proceed without interruptions. What is the risk of the ritual? What protections do we need against the Infernal Voice and the ritual? Can you provide us protections or enhance our protections against your minions, collaborators, and the Infernal Voice? The last question that doubles as a request is insurance for potential things that goes south. The mentioned risk that has yet to be elaborated on. The Infernal Voice. Your Solumite intolerant collaborators. Your underlings who may not share your sentiments of truce."

Show
    Sense Motive: (1d20+2)[16]
    Last edited by Yas392; 2023-02-27 at 11:05 AM.

9. - Top - End - #429
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

The static expression on the Lich's skull shows no sign of change. "The Infernal Voice is much like the god of the Dungeon. It tends to enjoy orchestrating the deaths of Solumites and Dungeon Denizens alike, thus the risk is entirely from actions taken once the Voice is made of aware of our effort to contact it. Its actions are difficult to accurately predict."

"I will disguise you as undead minions in effort to deceive the Voice that you are simply minions residing among my halls. Regarding my servitors, the undead obey my word as absolute law. They will not harm you as long as you are considered my guests. Regarding the Devils under my employ, it should now be clear to them that violence against my guests will not be tolerated."

The lich inserts its skeletal hand into one of its sleeves, slowly producing a number of talismans that appear to be made from connected bones. "These talismans will disguise you as undead while in my halls. I will not force you to utilize them, but they are the best protection I can provide you during our contact with the Voice."

Spoiler: Sense Motive DC 15
    Show
    There may be more to these talismans than the lich is letting on.
    Spoiler: Sense Motive DC 30
    Show
    The Lich is very interested in getting you to use the talismans.

Spoiler: Spellcraft DC 30
    Show
    The talismans don't just disguise you as undead, they temporarily make your type Undead providing a variety of benefits without some of the regular drawbacks.
    Last edited by Aegis013; 2023-02-28 at 01:12 AM.

10. - Top - End - #430

AssassinGuy

Levi eyes the talismans with narrowed eyes.

Telepathy (All Allies): That devil lich...He won't kill us but he sure won't mind converting us to the temporary state of undeath with those gifts to enslave us. I am not trusting the protections he offers us other than what is already on the table. Should we just attack him?

Show
    Spellcraft: (1d20+14)[30]
    Last edited by Yas392; 2023-02-28 at 09:23 AM.

11. - Top - End - #431
    Ogre in the Playground

Orchid puts a claw to her chin in thought. "If the voice has any kind of sight, my physical appearance alone would likely ruin any disguise I have. Any form of detect magic I imagine would immediately give Abigail away in an instant. Her and I benefit from that form of disguise, but I don't think attacking him is wise right now."
    Last edited by QuadraticGish; 2023-03-02 at 03:01 PM.

12. - Top - End - #432
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Yas392 View Post
    Levi eyes the talismans with narrowed eyes.

Telepathy (All Allies): That devil lich...He won't kill us but he sure won't mind converting us to the temporary state of undeath with those gifts to enslave us. I am not trusting the protections he offers us other than what is already on the table. Should we just attack him?

Show
    Spellcraft: [roll0]
    "No, I don't think so," Alistair thought, "I don't think I'll wear the amulet, but I do want to hear what the Voice has to say. It already knows we're in here, so I'm not sure why we need to hide from it."
    TC for short

"I like the sense of chaos this game provides. OOC, I like that I cannot know every available avenue, but that I can pursue whatever avenue I so choose. IC, I like that what I am doing has consequences. It's very very real." --Noedig

13. - Top - End - #433

AssassinGuy

Telepathy (All Allies): It is not just a disguise, it is also a transmutation. It converts you to a real undead as long as you wear it. Undead flocks to him at his word like sheep. As long as we are undead, he has dominion over us. I am not wearing one of those conjured trinkets. I agree with Alistar about the voice. As a Dungeon Master, they have eyes and ears everywhere. Perhaps the best thing to do now is prepare ourselves for the confrontation if all are in favor of letting the ritual run its course.
    Last edited by Yas392; 2023-03-01 at 09:07 AM.

14. - Top - End - #434
    Titan in the Playground

As Abigail hears that the talismans are not just disguises but in fact ways to turn them into undead she thinks to the others. "And had I tried using my healing magic on any of you it would have killed you, never mind what my own aura would do to us. I say we attack him before he can complete the ritual. Let him use his resources to summon the infernal voice as it will be less he can call against us. But before he can complete the ritual we all attack the nightwalker destroying it while those who can dispel magic ruin the ritual once more. The devils as we have seen are unwilling to fight us and will flee instead of staying to fight meaning if we take out the nightwalker it will only be him and possibly the two lesser devils with him." Abigail communicates to the others. Indeed the lich was a threat however she knew it wouldn't allow them all to encircle it and not suspect anything. However if those that could deal with the nightwalker began close enough to it that they could destroy it before he could react they had a very strong chance of killing it, and possibly wounding the lich before he had a chance to retaliate.

15. - Top - End - #435

AssassinGuy

Telepathy (All Allies): Which decision we are going with? As of now, votes are tied 2-2. Two attack the lich, two not attack the lich. We need a tiebreaker.

16. - Top - End - #436
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Seeming to notice the group's hesitancy, the lich stashes the talismans back into the sleeve of its fine black robe. "As stated, I will not force you to use them. Though I'm quite confident using them would beguile the Infernal Voice into believing you are simply my minions. Shall we proceed, or do you require further reassurances?"

17. - Top - End - #437
    Titan in the Playground

As no one seems to speak up in their mental chat, and the lich puts away the amulets Abigail sends across their link. It looks like we are waiting to see what happens after he does the ritual, I just hope it doesn't summon a creature for us to fight like the death doors. After all it will be hard enough dealing with the lich and his minions if he decides to turn on us. she states as she waits for the ritual to begin.

18. - Top - End - #438

AssassinGuy

Telepathy (All Allies): We will deal with it like every enemy when the time comes. I am not oppose to the idea of retreat if the odds are not in our favor or it is a possibility.

Levi nods at his companions. After raising two walls with same measurement as previous rooms, cutting down in size to fit the room if needed and hustling the party to get into position behind the covers via link, he gestures to the lich.

"We are unanimous with the proceeding."

19. - Top - End - #439
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

"Excellent!" the lich clasps its bony digits together. "I will once call upon the Cornugon again to complete the ritual. Please, make yourselves at home as this will require a few minutes."

The lich begins performing an incantation, which you recognize as the Sending spell. If left uninterrupted momentarily after the incantation is completed the Cornugon teleports back into the chamber. "I don't like that there are Solumites, but fine. I will provide the service purchased." the devil states in the infernal tongue.

The Cornugon and the Kytons return the altar and start once more to perform their ritual. The Lich says "If you have protections you wish to apply, this is the appropriate time. The ritual will only require two minutes to complete. Would you like to have the first word with the Voice or would you prefer I initiate the conversation?"

As the lich continues to float in place, the devils near the completion of their ritual. As their chant reaches a climax, they cut open their palms and their devilish blood flows out into a ring which swirls and expands until it is roughly 10ft in diameter. The ring slowly orients itself upright and the blood in the center begins to swirl outward opening a magical window.

The view clears revealing a throne room, not much of the surrounding can be seen, but there is a throne of bones upon which sits a powerful looking figure. A large (size category) Devil with flaming wings draped around its body and a crown a bones studded with gemstones peers through the portal. The oppressive gaze of the magnificent Devil's fiery red eyes feels like a weight upon your very souls.

Though the figure doesn't appear to move its mouth, the Voice permeates the lich's halls in Infernal: "Why do you call upon me?" the voice seems harsher than when you've heard it in the past. As if it's annoyed rather than the playful lines it has delivered behind the Death Doors.

The lich waits a moment, seeing if any of you wish to have the first opportunity to speak.

20. - Top - End - #440
    Ogre in the Playground

Orchid stares directly into the eyes of the voice scowling. "We finally meet face to face; the one who runs all these dungeons." she states in infernal.

21. - Top - End - #441

AssassinGuy

Telepathy (All Allies): Pretty sure that thing is its avatar/mouthpiece/etc. I am not too excited to plumb the depths, seeing that I have some personal issues with it. Anything we want to ask?

22. - Top - End - #442
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

The Devil's eyes shift from the lich to Orchid. "Atticus' underlings. I didn't realize you would stoop so low just to get to me, Zeiram."

The lich floats in place, though despite its skull being unable to form expression, Zeiram somehow exudes smugness.

"Your proficiency in the infernal tongue is barely passable, Orchid." the Devil replies. After seeming to ponder the situation for a fleeting moment the Infernal Voice continues "Did you simply call upon me so I would know you're claiming them as your new pets? The last set died at my whims, as those before. These will too, when it pleases me."

Zeiram doesn't respond, which causes the Devil a visible tick of frustration.

23. - Top - End - #443

AssassinGuy

Levi looks at Alistar when Abigail keeps her silence.

24. - Top - End - #444
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Yas392 View Post
    Levi looks at Alistar when Abigail keeps her silence.
    “I want to see what the Lich has to say.,” Alistair thought.
    TC for short

25. - Top - End - #445
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

After an uncomfortable silence, the Infernal Voice seems to turn and hide its mouth its hand as if communicating with someone not seen through the portal, though no sound carries through. At this the lich immediately speaks as if trying to interrupt this action: "These Solumites are sufficiently reasonable to listen and not immediately turn their skills in the art of violence against me, thus our alliance against you was inevitable. They haven't fully succumbed to your power. We will take your heart from you, even if it takes all of time. I am the specter of your demise."

The Devil turns its face back to the portal "Your spiel has grown cold and tired. I grow weary of this interaction. I will crush your hopes and dreams such that you have no chance of making any further progress." with that the Devil waves its hand causing the blood portal to close. The last statement didn't appear to be directed exclusively toward the lich.

The Cornugon says "The service paid for was rendered, and I don't want to be around Solumites. Unless you wish to strike a new deal, I shall take my leave."

Zeiram turns to you and inquires "Do you wish to purchase the Cornugon's services? I have no further use for it at this juncture."

26. - Top - End - #446
    Titan in the Playground

“I do not, but one of my companions might,” Alistair replied, “what was the purpose of that communication with the Voice?”
    TC for short

27. - Top - End - #447
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Zeiram responds "The purpose was to gather additional information about our mutual enemy. It is likely not clear to you, but the Infernal Voice is presently not inside the Dungeon and therefore out of my reach as I'm not able to pass through any portal to Solum. I occasionally like to check to see if I can attack my sworn enemy, as there's no risk to me should I fail. I will simply reconstitute after a short time. Less so, I simply find antagonizing my foe one of the few simple pleasures left to me."

28. - Top - End - #448
    Ettin in the Playground

Planetar

"Not able to pass through... Wait... Are you saying the 'voice' visits Solum?! Or that Solum is between here and wherever its going..?"

29. - Top - End - #449
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Aegis013 View Post
    Zeiram responds "The purpose was to gather additional information about our mutual enemy. It is likely not clear to you, but the Infernal Voice is presently not inside the Dungeon and therefore out of my reach as I'm not able to pass through any portal to Solum. I occasionally like to check to see if I can attack my sworn enemy, as there's no risk to me should I fail. I will simply reconstitute after a short time. Less so, I simply find antagonizing my foe one of the few simple pleasures left to me."
    "Why do you hate the Voice so much?" Alistair asked.
    TC for short

30. - Top - End - #450

AssassinGuy

Telepathy (All Allies): That confirms one of my doubts that has been plaguing in my head.

Levi is rubbing his hands.

"Well, that is one way of vexing and irking him. Is there a safer ritual or method to call the Infernal Voice without relying on a devil?"
    Last edited by Yas392; 2023-03-20 at 10:33 AM.