New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Firbolg in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Default Re: Aegis' Dungeoncrawler In-Character II

Levi shores up his weaknesses and waves at the trap. An alien sound reverberates in the room.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Area Dispel: (1d20+12)[15]

Is floating 10 ft above ground.

Buffs

Psionically Focus

Sacred Vitality (1 minute; immunity to ability damage, ability drain, and energy drain; renew every time when duration expires)

20% concealment from Deeper Darkness

Darkstalker (Anyone with blindsense, Blindsight, Tremorsense and Scent has to make spot/listen checks to detect him)

Invisibility (24 hours)

Blindsense 30 ft

Endure Elements + Protection from Alignment/Positive-Dominant/Negative-Dominant Traits of Planes (Constant; Indefinite)

Darkvision 60 ft and See Invisibility (24 hours)

Can See Through Magical & Non-magical darkness (Tenebrous; 24 hours)

Fell Flight (24 Hours)

DR/Cold Iron 2 (7 while bound to Zhrine)

Dark One's Own Luck (24 hours; +7 to Reflex Saves)

Immune to all harmful vapors and gases ; can breath underwater and in a vacuum; infinite air supply. (Constant)

+6 Spot/Search; Comprehend Language (written words only) (24 hours)

Mass Conviction (80 mins; +3 Morale bonus on all saving throws)

Mass Resist Energy (80 mins; 20 points of acid damage/attack(or damage) absorbed)

Automatic Method of Scouting per room in order: Stealth/Skill/Swarm, Detect Magic, Area Dispel (after alerting party members to evacuate radius of area dispel/before party enters room).
    Last edited by Yas392; 2022-07-24 at 01:10 PM.

2. - Top - End - #32
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

As the Dispel effect washes over the majority the room, it seems to have had an unexpected effect. Since the exact location of the magic device hasn't been pinpointed, and Area Dispel doesn't disable magic items, the moderate conjuration aura persists, however, a new moderate conjuration aura is now detected.

Those with ranks in Spellcraft and Knowledge Arcana are able to work out that Levi's Area Dispel unraveled a Magic Aura spell put in place to hide a Magic Trap under the more the obvious Burst of Flame trap, but the function of the second trap is currently unknown, as is the exact location of either trap.
    Quote Originally Posted by Thatwarforged View Post
    You sir are a True Pirate Lord.

3. - Top - End - #33

AssassinGuy

Levi raises a hand.

"So what is next? Do we disarm the traps the normal method to see what springs from the Dark?"

Show

Buffs

Psionically Focus

Sacred Vitality (1 minute; immunity to ability damage, ability drain, and energy drain; renew every time when duration expires)

Darkstalker (Anyone with blindsense, Blindsight, Tremorsense and Scent has to make spot/listen checks to detect him)

Invisibility (24 hours)

Blindsense 30 ft

Endure Elements + Protection from Alignment/Positive-Dominant/Negative-Dominant Traits of Planes (Constant; Indefinite)

Fell Flight (24 Hours)

Immune to all harmful vapors and gases ; can breath underwater and in a vacuum; infinite air supply. (Constant)

Mass Resist Energy (80 mins; 20 points of acid damage/attack(or damage) absorbed)

Automatic Method of Scouting per room in order: Stealth/Skill/Swarm, Detect Magic, Area Dispel (after alerting party members to evacuate radius of area dispel/before party enters room).

4. - Top - End - #34
    Titan in the Playground

As the group finishes off the battle Abigale goes back to her musings, keeping her left hand on the wall at all times. So when at last they come to an open room she is about to step in when Levi sends his swarm in and the group watches as it is destroyed by a blast of flame. "Well I am happy we didn't set that off, but now what. Your swarm wasn't touching the ground meaning it is not a pressure based trap." she states looking into the room from the entrance, however not wanting to step inside just yet.

Spoiler: Spot check
    Show
    (1d20+6)[25] To see if she can notice anything different, or some kind of writing, decoration, anything that seems different.
    Also Spellcraft check (1d20+12)[22]

"Perhaps we send one of the wraiths into the room, though have it close to the ground, almost as if a person were crawling, see if that sets off the trap again?"

5. - Top - End - #35
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Yas392 View Post
    Levi raises a hand.

"So what is next? Do we disarm the traps the normal method to see what springs from the Dark?"

Show

Buffs

Psionically Focus

Invisibility (24 hours)

Blindsense 30 ft

Fell Flight (24 Hours)

"I have some skill with trapfinding," Alistair replied, "I could try to find them and disarm them without setting them off, or assist someone else if there are any experts among us. They would probably be worth a decent amount. Or we could send the wraiths in first to help find the second trap."
    Last edited by Thundercracker; 2022-07-24 at 09:21 PM.
    TC for short

"I like the sense of chaos this game provides. OOC, I like that I cannot know every available avenue, but that I can pursue whatever avenue I so choose. IC, I like that what I am doing has consequences. It's very very real." --Noedig

6. - Top - End - #36
    Ogre in the Playground

"Whoever goes in, I can give them a strong resistance to fire for a lengthy period. As Alistair said, we could use the wraiths to go through the walls around the area to see if the traps are hidden inside of a wall somewhere. If nothing else, it's possible the traps might have an invisibility cast on them." Orchid comments.
    My posting may be slowed due to new job.

7. - Top - End - #37
    Ettin in the Playground

Planetar

"With every passing delve I devolve further into a delivery system for large chunks of metal, " Liselle jokes, as Alistair volunteers to take over her rogue duties. Not that she really minded. Sure, technically she was better at disabling traps than Alistair was... but there were two issues there. Firstly, she didn't know that. She hadn't gotten a chance to watch Alistair vs Traps before. Secondly, she wasn't going to insist on putting herself in danger if Alistair was actively volunteering to do it for her...

"I'm fine with sending in a wraith first, then Alistair. " was Liselle's conclusion.

8. - Top - End - #38

AssassinGuy

Levi attempts the second trap with a blockage and commands his wraith to prods the walls. He also tests the fire trap with his swarm to get interval time between activations.

Show

Buffs

Psionically Focus

Invisibility (24 hours)

Blindsense 30 ft

Fell Flight (24 Hours)

9. - Top - End - #39
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

The wooden Block from Blockade appears in the room, but the trap doesn't activate. The wraith explores the insides of the walls, careful to avoid entering the room and returns to report that it found no compartments inside of the walls.

Sending in Swarm after Swarm it seems the Blast of Flame trap can activate once per round. Given that the swarms last Concentration +2 rounds, and require a full round to summon, it is possible to send a second one inside of a single round.

When the second swarm goes in it springs the second trap. It seems the Bat swarm successfully resisted the second trap and suffered no ill effect, though the magical trap definitely activated.

Spoiler: Bat swarm will save
    Show
    (1d20+3)[21]

They're then vaporized by the Blast of Flame trap as it comes back online.
    Last edited by Aegis013; 2022-07-27 at 04:53 PM.

10. - Top - End - #40

AssassinGuy

Levi informs the party of his findings while he assesses the traps with his monocle.

Show
    Use Artificer's Monocle to identify the traps' magical properties.

Appraise Trap 1 Value: (1d20+2)[9]

Appraise Trap 2 Value: (1d20+2)[8]

11. - Top - End - #41
    Titan in the Playground

Alistair

"Ah, bollocks," Alistair said, "I think the second one is a teleportation circle or something similar, probably drops the swarms somewhere nasty. I'm sending the wraith in, then you put the swarm in to trigger the second trap. I'll instruct the wraith to return after the second trap is triggered, and tell us what happened to it."

Unless anyone has any objections, Alistair will do as he said.
    TC for short

"I like the sense of chaos this game provides. OOC, I like that I cannot know every available avenue, but that I can pursue whatever avenue I so choose. IC, I like that what I am doing has consequences. It's very very real." --Noedig

12. - Top - End - #42

AssassinGuy

Levi huffs.

"Or you can disarm the first trap and let me study it close up with my monocle."

13. - Top - End - #43
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Yas392 View Post
    Levi huffs.

"Or you can disarm the first trap and let me study it close up with my monocle."
    “How’m I supposed to get to the first trap when the second one is covering it?” Alistair asked.
    TC for short

14. - Top - End - #44
    Ettin in the Playground

Planetar

"I suppose we could split the traps? Trigger them both with swarms and wraiths, and then we each try and disarm one before they re-arm? In which case, do you want trap 1 or trap 2?"
    Last edited by whoiam; 2022-07-30 at 05:00 PM.

15. - Top - End - #45
    Ogre in the Playground

Orchid stands in thought while her party members banter before finally coming up with an idea.

"If it is a teleportation effect, and the sister would be willing to provide fire resistance, I could cast dimensional anchor through an infusion. That would prevent any kind of teleportation from functioning on our trap disarmer."
    Last edited by QuadraticGish; 2022-07-30 at 06:52 PM.

16. - Top - End - #46

AssassinGuy

"Then disarm the second one first. But let me see the effects of the second trap before we do anything."

Levi uses his swarms to trigger the second trap as he assesses the magical effects of the second trap with detect magic.

Show
    Cast Detect Magic

Spellcraft: (1d20+14)[26]

17. - Top - End - #47
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Between Levi's Spellcraft and Alistair's Kn: Arcana and being able to observe the second trap triggered on the disposable swarms, you're able to recognize the effect of the second trap as a Teleport trap. The Teleport trap is going to always teleport to a specific location, likely requiring some kind of anchor within the trap's Teleport range based on the original creator's Caster Level. Unfortunately, from this end, it's impossible to tell where it would send you on a failed Will Save.

18. - Top - End - #48

AssassinGuy

Levi's eyebrows deflate.

"A teleport trap for the second. So what now? If any of you want to move to disarm the second trap, I can provide cover."

Show

Buffs

Psionically Focus

Invisibility (24 hours)

Blindsense 30 ft

Fell Flight (24 Hours)

19. - Top - End - #49
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by QuadraticGish View Post
    Orchid stands in thought while her party members banter before finally coming up with an idea.

"If it is a teleportation effect, and the sister would be willing to provide fire resistance, I could cast dimensional anchor through an infusion. That would prevent any kind of teleportation from functioning on our trap disarmer."
    Alistair

“Alright, let’s do it this way, hit me with the dimensional anchor and some fire resistance, and I’ll head in and disarm both traps. Or try, rather,” Alistair said, “unless anyone has any better ideas or would like to disarm instead.”
    TC for short

20. - Top - End - #50

AssassinGuy

Levi gestures to the room.

"Let me setup a cover to defend you against the fire before you go in."

Show

Before Alistar go in to disarm a trap, Levi will set up a sculpted stone covers via major creation molded by fabricate near the trap to protect Alistar while he is going in to disarm the trap. He sets up 5 layers of cover, each layered upon another.

Buffs

Psionically Focus

Invisibility (24 hours)

Blindsense 30 ft

Fell Flight (24 Hours)

Last edited by Yas392; 2022-08-02 at 09:26 PM.

21. - Top - End - #51
    Ogre in the Playground

"If you have resistance to magic, drop it while I'm providing fire resistance. It could block dimensional anchor." she informs him.

Orchid then touches Alistair's armor twice, infusing it with significant amounts of magic.

"Okay, that should do it. You should be good to go."

Show

Orchid touches Alistair, granting the following:
    Greater Armor Enchantment: Greater Fire Resistance(Fire Resistance 30, 80 minutes)
    Spellstoring Item: Dimensional Anchor(8 minutes, skipping range touch attack roll since target is willing) UMD (1d20+26)[34] vs DC 32

Spoiler: Orchid's Status
    Show

Temp: 0
    HP: 135/136

Sorcerer spell slots
    Cantrips: 6/6(Detect Magic, Prestidigitation, Light, Read Magic)
    1st: 6/6(Color Spray, Grease, Shield, Magic Missile)
    2nd: 5/5(Glitterdust, Wraithstrike)
    3rd: 4/4(Dispel Magic, Haste)

Infusions(Can use any infusion at any time; anything slower than a standard uses a standard action instead; standards are now swifts)
    1st: 2/4
    2nd: 4/4
    3rd: 2/4
    4th: 1/1

SLAs
    Glitterdust(3/3)

Scrolls(unless noted, assume minimum caster level)
    Lesser Vigor (6)
    Power Word(Pain)(6)
    Bonefiddle(1)
    Resurgence(2)
    Saltray(2)
    Warning Shout(2)
    Shield(2)
    Fist of Stone(2)
    Cloud of Bewilderment(2)
    Color Spray(2)
    Glitterdust(1)
    Ray of Enfeeblement(2)
    Web(2)
    Grease(Arcane)(2)
    Haste(2)
    Resist Energy, Mass(2)
    Slow(2)
    Fireball(3)
    Lesser Restoration(3)
    Remove Disease(1)
    Neutralize Poison(1)
    Restoration(2)
    Delay Death(3)
    Shield Other(2)
    Water Breathing(3)
    Wall of Sand(2)
    Wall of Water(2)
    Heal(CL 7)(1)
    Dispel Magic(5)

Potions(unless noted, assume minimum caster level)
    Lesser Vigor(1)

Other(unless noted, assume minimum caster level)
    Memento Magica(1st)(2)
    Memento Magica, Xansia(1st)(1)

Notable effects
    Spare Hand active(24h, used 3rd level infusion)
    Cloak of minor concealment: 20% miss chance
    Shudder Plate: If Orchid is in contact with the ground, she can sense the location of anything within 15 feet that is also in contact with the ground.
    Glaring Eye: Orchid has blindsense out to a distance of 30 feet.
    Mass Resist Energy (80 min) 20 points of acid damage/attack(or damage) absorbed
    Mass Conviction (80 min) +3 Morale bonus on all saving throws
    Death Ward:(8 min) immune to all death spells, magical death effects, energy drain, and any negative energy effects.
    Last edited by QuadraticGish; 2022-08-02 at 09:22 AM.

22. - Top - End - #52
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Between the endless layers of cover from Levi and the Dimensional Anchor from Orchid, Alistair is able to carefully search the area (take 20) with impunity, successfully locating the hidden magical fragments consistently producing the spell effects.

After carefully studying the effects, Alistair can permanently disable them by taking 20, but in order to harvest them, he will either need buffs to increase his skill check or Liselle will need to be Dimensionally Anchored to move in and assist.

Spoiler: Trap statistics
    Show
    These are straight from the module:
    Blast of Flame Trap CR 5
    Proximity Magical Trap
    10d6 fire damage, Reflex DC 15 half
    Triggers up to 1x per round
    Search DC 28
    Disable DC 28 - so a 38 is needed to harvest the trap

Teleporter Trap CR 1
    Proximity Magical Trap
    Teleports victims to a prescribed location
    Will save DC 18 negates
    Search DC 31
    Disable DC 31 - so a 41 is needed to harvest the trap

Alistair can take 20 on Disable to get a result of 33. He can get up to 36 by removing his armor, leaving a 5 point deficit.
    If Liselle goes in she can take 20 to get a result of 40, and Alistair can Aid Another to get 42 and harvest the traps.

23. - Top - End - #53
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Aegis013 View Post
    Between the endless layers of cover from Levi and the Dimensional Anchor from Orchid, Alistair is able to carefully search the area (take 20) with impunity, successfully locating the hidden magical fragments consistently producing the spell effects.

After carefully studying the effects, Alistair can permanently disable them by taking 20, but in order to harvest them, he will either need buffs to increase his skill check or Liselle will need to be Dimensionally Anchored to move in and assist.

Spoiler: Trap statistics
    Show
    These are straight from the module:
    Blast of Flame Trap CR 5
    Proximity Magical Trap
    10d6 fire damage, Reflex DC 15 half
    Triggers up to 1x per round
    Search DC 28
    Disable DC 28 - so a 38 is needed to harvest the trap

Teleporter Trap CR 1
    Proximity Magical Trap
    Teleports victims to a prescribed location
    Will save DC 18 negates
    Search DC 31
    Disable DC 31 - so a 41 is needed to harvest the trap

Alistair can take 20 on Disable to get a result of 33. He can get up to 36 by removing his armor, leaving a 5 point deficit.
    If Liselle goes in she can take 20 to get a result of 40, and Alistair can Aid Another to get 42 and harvest the traps.
    “Recovering them is beyond my knowledge,” Alistair said, “unless anyone else wants to take a stab at them, I’m just going to disable them.”
    TC for short

24. - Top - End - #54
    Ogre in the Playground

Orchid looks toward Liselle.

"Can you handle it Liselle? I can get you over there with another dimensional anchor."

Show
    Orchid is using Heighten Spell to cast Spellstoring item from a 2nd level infusion to give Liselle Dimensional Anchor is she chooses.
    UMD (1d20+26)[35] vs DC 32

Spoiler: Orchid's Status
    Show
    Temp: 0
    HP: 135/136

Sorcerer spell slots
    Cantrips: 6/6(Detect Magic, Prestidigitation, Light, Read Magic)
    1st: 6/6(Color Spray, Grease, Shield, Magic Missile)
    2nd: 5/5(Glitterdust, Wraithstrike)
    3rd: 4/4(Dispel Magic, Haste)

Infusions(Can use any infusion at any time; anything slower than a standard uses a standard action instead; standards are now swifts)
    1st: 2/4
    2nd: 3/4
    3rd: 2/4
    4th: 1/1

SLAs
    Glitterdust(3/3)

Scrolls(unless noted, assume minimum caster level)
    Lesser Vigor (6)
    Power Word(Pain)(6)
    Bonefiddle(1)
    Resurgence(2)
    Saltray(2)
    Warning Shout(2)
    Shield(2)
    Fist of Stone(2)
    Cloud of Bewilderment(2)
    Color Spray(2)
    Glitterdust(1)
    Ray of Enfeeblement(2)
    Web(2)
    Grease(Arcane)(2)
    Haste(2)
    Resist Energy, Mass(2)
    Slow(2)
    Fireball(3)
    Lesser Restoration(3)
    Remove Disease(1)
    Neutralize Poison(1)
    Restoration(2)
    Delay Death(3)
    Shield Other(2)
    Water Breathing(3)
    Wall of Sand(2)
    Wall of Water(2)
    Heal(CL 7)(1)
    Dispel Magic(5)

Potions(unless noted, assume minimum caster level)
    Lesser Vigor(1)

Other(unless noted, assume minimum caster level)
    Memento Magica(1st)(2)
    Memento Magica, Xansia(1st)(1)

Notable effects
    Spare Hand active(24h, used 3rd level infusion)
    Cloak of minor concealment: 20% miss chance
    Shudder Plate: If Orchid is in contact with the ground, she can sense the location of anything within 15 feet that is also in contact with the ground.
    Glaring Eye: Orchid has blindsense out to a distance of 30 feet.
    Mass Resist Energy (80 min) 20 points of acid damage/attack(or damage) absorbed
    Mass Conviction (80 min) +3 Morale bonus on all saving throws
    Death Ward:(8 min) immune to all death spells, magical death effects, energy drain, and any negative energy effects.
    Last edited by QuadraticGish; 2022-08-03 at 11:01 PM.

25. - Top - End - #55
    Ettin in the Playground

Planetar

Disabling traps and then leaving them in place means less loot to sell back in the city. There's really only one answer to that question.

"Sure, I'll take a look, " Liselle replies. Once she's all Dimension Achored-up, she gets to work on the fire trap.

"I swear, these are getting harder each delve, " she notes. Doesn't stop her recovering the fire trap. Then she goes to look at the teleport trap. "Or maybe I'm just getting rusty from all the time spent training instead of robbing people. Hey, Solstafir. I don't suppose any of your fancy crafting tricks can make me a better set of Thieves Tools, could they?" It wouldn't help with the current trap, but... well, she could improvise for this one.

"Alright, Alistair, gonna need some extra hands for this second one..."

26. - Top - End - #56
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by whoiam View Post
    Disabling traps and then leaving them in place means less loot to sell back in the city. There's really only one answer to that question.

"Sure, I'll take a look, " Liselle replies. Once she's all Dimension Achored-up, she gets to work on the fire trap.

"I swear, these are getting harder each delve, " she notes. Doesn't stop her recovering the fire trap. Then she goes to look at the teleport trap. "Or maybe I'm just getting rusty from all the time spent training instead of robbing people. Hey, Solstafir. I don't suppose any of your fancy crafting tricks can make me a better set of Thieves Tools, could they?" It wouldn't help with the current trap, but... well, she could improvise for this one.

"Alright, Alistair, gonna need some extra hands for this second one..."
    Alistair nods and assists Liselle with recovering the trap.
    TC for short

27. - Top - End - #57
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Having successfully harvested the traps, the room is now free from danger.

Each character gains 1,400 XP.

After appraisal, the traps are worth:
    Blast of Flame trap: 15,000gp
    Teleporter trap: 16,000gp

The maze area, now cleared of dangers, is easily navigated until the team finds a spiral stairwell leading upwards. After ascending a distance there is a large door, though the stairwell continues upwards as well.

Listening at the door, you hear the sounds of something scraping along the material of the structure, possibly claws or scales, occasional cracking and crunching sounds, occasional thumping, and underlying it all it sounds like several creatures breathing. Rather big ones. At least Large size, but maybe bigger.

There's likely danger behind the door. You could prepare and try to take it by surprise, or just continue up the stairwell.

28. - Top - End - #58

AssassinGuy

Unseen, Levi tilts his head back in an un-Levi-like manner, smiling like a peacock after the scouting and away from that door.

"So how are my fortifications at the trap room? Stupendous? Brilliant? Amazing?"

Show

Buffs

Psionically Focus

Invisibility (24 hours)

Blindsense 30 ft

Fell Flight (24 Hours)

Last edited by Yas392; 2022-08-05 at 09:24 AM.

29. - Top - End - #59
    Titan in the Playground

"I'd rather prefer something we can beat up," Solstafir said, having grown rather bored with the pair of traps where he had nothing to contribute. "Any final preparations before we engage big and scaly beyond this door, now's the time." Once everyone was ready, he had the annis zombie throw open the portal, himself and the undead minion taking the front.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff the Green View Post
    Actually, when you first put up the post where the gazebo started trying to eat us, I assumed you were pulling our legs and you'd put up the real post soon enough.

30. - Top - End - #60
    Ogre in the Playground

The former maid glances at Levi. "I wish you stopped before hand so I didn't end up using that infusion." Orchid comments, rolling her eyes. She then turns to the door and readies herself to cast.

"Ready. I'm just glad not to be cramped anymore."

Show
    Orchid is readying a use of her Glitterdust SLA. DC 18 will save. She will try to prioritize the most threatening enemy.