New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 9 of 16 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #241
    Firbolg in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Default Re: Aegis' Dungeoncrawler In-Character II

Pre-Child Regression

Levi is present with Abigail and Liselle. He nods at Liselle's confirmation on the elixir. The question about the Infernal Voice causes him to tilt his head.

"Killing the infernal voice?"

He shakes his head.

"Not yet. We are still working on that. Other than that, there is nothing new that to report than what my companions have already reported except a tidbit missed about Brother Gulin. Is he back in Solum? We gave him an escape stone which he used to egress the dungeon."

When Camilla presented Jen's Journal, the halfling warlock skims the content.

"A culprit for the plight of a distressed delver. What a troublesome enemy. Thank you for the heads up, Camilla. We will see what we can do."

As Abigail narrates her speculation about the voice changing delvers, Levi points towards the last bit of comprehensible writings.

"Enchantment can also be a part of the process. Mind-altering magic that changes perception and compels the body to attack former allies is not outside the realm of possibility."
    Last edited by Yas392; 2022-10-04 at 11:57 AM.

2. - Top - End - #242
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Camilla checks the records and confirms Brother Gulin did make it back. "I'm afraid I won't personally be much help with knowledge about the Astral Sea or other such esoteric knowledge, though I can tell you no one has tried to take the Elixir into the Dungeon because the Prince is very jealous of his formula. He's not willing to risk letting someone leave with a vial of Elixir for fear that they sell secrets about it to one of the other princes or princesses which would undermine Atticus' goals."

Camilla again indicates the six vials of Elixir now placed on her desk "If you do wish to imbibe the Elixir, you'll have to do it here."

"It's interesting that your foe was still recognizable if the Dungeon had turned them against you, though. From what little we've been able to piece together, if the Dungeon overtakes a delver they don't retain their identity or form like the one from this journal. Still, considering our ratio of Dungeon denizens slain to Delvers lost, we can't avoid the risk of sending people into the Dungeon or else the Dungeon will come out to Solum. It's not like we can retreat if that happens again."
    Last edited by Aegis013; 2022-10-04 at 11:42 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Thatwarforged View Post
    You sir are a True Pirate Lord.

3. - Top - End - #243
    Ogre in the Playground

After a moment, the door opens revealing Orchid behind it. "Levi? What brings you to my home?" she asks curiously look at him. "Did you just want to visit?"
    My posting may be slowed due to new job.

4. - Top - End - #244
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Aegis013 View Post
    Camilla checks the records and confirms Brother Gulin did make it back. "I'm afraid I won't personally be much help with knowledge about the Astral Sea or other such esoteric knowledge, though I can tell you no one has tried to take the Elixir into the Dungeon because the Prince is very jealous of his formula. He's not willing to risk letting someone leave with a vial of Elixir for fear that they sell secrets about it to one of the other princes or princesses which would undermine Atticus' goals."

Camilla again indicates the six vials of Elixir now placed on her desk "If you do wish to imbibe the Elixir, you'll have to do it here."

"It's interesting that your foe was still recognizable if the Dungeon had turned them against you, though. From what little we've been able to piece together, if the Dungeon overtakes a delver they don't retain their identity or form like the one from this journal. Still, considering our ratio of Dungeon denizens slain to Delvers lost, we can't avoid the risk of sending people into the Dungeon or else the Dungeon will come out to Solum. It's not like we can retreat if that happens again."
    "I think I can understand that Camilla, if you could bring it to his attention that we would be trying to use it to make one of the creatures of the Dungeon back into a resident of Sol I would be willing to swear whatever is needed that I wouldn't sell it, and if it helped to only allow us to have it the moment before we walk into the next Dungeon." she says before going over to one of the vials and drinking its contents.

"I am not saying we should invest a lot of thought into a what if, but perhaps a small amount? It has after all happened once before, there is nothing to say it cannot happen again. Add in each Delver that falls in the Dungeon becomes another addition to their ranks means that the risk of dying is much more dangerous to us then them. As even our lowest Delvers falling add to their ranks and numbers in unforeseen ways." Abigail says. "Does the Prince have a countermeasure in place should the worst happen?" she asks not wanting to sound like she was being negative but wanting to be prepared for the worst case scenario.

As Levi points out it could be enchantment as well the priestess nods in agreement, even though she had not thought of it as she had ruled out such a thing as her and the others often protected themselves from such magics it didn't mean all the other delvers did. "You make a good point Levi, over time with a lot of exposer one could in theory change ones perception of things making even the closet of friends into some strange enemy."
    Last edited by dantiesilva; 2022-10-04 at 11:25 PM.

5. - Top - End - #245

AssassinGuy

Post-Child Regression

Levi slants his head as his pupils dart to the side, one hand on his chin, thumb and index shape shaped into gun shape placeholder for it while the rest of his fingers curled; an expression made by a confused child.

"I think so? You seem familiar but I haven't meet you before. Wait! How do you know my name?"

6. - Top - End - #246
    Ogre in the Playground

Orchid raises an eyebrow. "Are you well Levi? It's me, Orchid. It was not many days ago that we delved together with the others. Not to mention the times before that."

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Orchid is making a heal check to see if there's anything unusual she can pick out. (1d20+8)[25]

7. - Top - End - #247

AssassinGuy

Post-child regression

"I have never been to the dungeon or delve with a group before. I dream of going inside someday. And I am fine. Fine as a fiddle, see. Even Ghosty agree. Tell her, Ghosty."

The wraith nods at the command as Levi spreads his arms.

Spoiler: Orchid
    Show
    Levi has temporary amnesia. Based on his childlike mannerisms, he also regressed to a child which can happen from stress or trauma.

8. - Top - End - #248
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

When Abigail imbibes one of the six vials of Elixir she feels her recently formed connection to the Plane of Shadows strengthen.

Spoiler: Abigail
    Show
    Once per encounter, Abigail may choose to pass through the Plane of Shadows rather than walk - as a move action, teleport distance equal to your speed. This is an extraordinary ability with the [Teleportation] descriptor.
    Add 1 to Abigail's action point counter.
    Last edited by Aegis013; 2022-10-07 at 10:36 AM.

9. - Top - End - #249
    Ogre in the Playground

Orchid looks confused for a second before it clicks. "Must be my mistake then. How about we go on a walk then? I know certain sister in another district that would love to see you." Orchid suggests.

10. - Top - End - #250
    Titan in the Playground

As Abigail drinks the elixir she takes her time, trying to separate all the different tastes as she drinks it down, nothing that while it was a different taste, it still held the undertone of the dungeon fruit. "Thank you Camilla," Abigail begins to say before vanishing and reappearing a short distance away in another shadow. " Interesting, I didn't expect it to effect me the same way the Dungeon fruit did. And we are sure it negates the effect of the dungeon fruit turning delvers into beings stuck in the dungeon right?" The priestess asks, wondering what in fact they based their theory on. Did they have a number of fruits people have eaten before not being able to come back, what tests have been done she wondered.

11. - Top - End - #251
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Camilla responds "The precise details are known only to Prince Atticus." with a bit of an exasperated tone. "Even if I wanted to tell you, it is beyond me. Though I believe Atticus when he says he has both mitigated the possible side-effects as well as halted any from consuming Dungeon Fruit through this Elixir."

12. - Top - End - #252

AssassinGuy

Pre-child regression

Levi looks at Liselle to see if she has anything to say about the revelation.

Post-child regression

"Can we do that later? I want to know you a bit better."

Levi's stomach growls. The child regressed halfling gives an awkward smile and scratches his head.

"And I am hungry."

13. - Top - End - #253
    Titan in the Playground

Seeing that she had hit a wall and asking would get her no further Abigail nods her head in understanding looking towards her fellow companions to see if they had anything more to add, and seeing as Levi was looking towards Liselle she doubted this meeting would last much longer.

Spoiler: Post-child regression Timeline
    Show
    It had been a few days since the group had spoken with Camilla. In that time the priestess had started a new, or old depending on your point of view, faith and had begun the construction of the temple and hospice that those who practiced her faith would work at as well as been busy taking care of her sister. It was on one of the days her brother stopped buy to question her about the temple that she remembered that she still needed to speak with Orchid about what they had learned, or more importantly not learned about the Elixir. "Tarith I am rather busy I know, with having to delve more I know you have been helping me with Sara a lot more and I appreciate it so how about we come up with a deal. When my temple is up in running my temple grounds will become a neutral ground eventually in the poor quarters where no fighting shall take place, even between rival gangs." she says watching as her brother, rightfully so began to protest. "My friends and I do not plan on making our own kingdom in the poor quarters nor starting a new group to challange the other thieves guilds Tarith. What I am offering is this, if you help spread the word and have your people seen honoring the deal in turn those I hire and train to protect the grounds will protect any and all of your people should they enter our domain. Think of it as having expanded your hold on the poor district. The people will see you as someone who is helping feed and take care of them which in turn will make them see you as a protector instead of just another thug. In turn when you are on said ground you and your people are not allowed to attack anyone who is against you, you can defend yourselves if attacked, but not kill who attacks you. Think it over and let me know what you decide." the priestess says before saying goodbye to her two siblings, after giving Tarith his money for watching their sister of course.

About an hour later Abigail found herself at the front door to Orchid's home, a bag of money at her waist, and her walking stick in hand to discourage any would be thieves from trying anything foolish. As she approached she knocked upon the door with her wooden staff. "Orchid are you home?" the priestess called out, unsure if the woman was home or not.

14. - Top - End - #254
    Ogre in the Playground

"Come in, and take a seat in the dining room- it's the second left turn." she instructs Levi. "I'll be there shortly to ask what you would like to eat."

As soon as Levi comes inside and is well on his way to the dining room Orchid closes the door and is about to make her way to the dining room when she hears knocking at the door. She then around and opens.

"Abigail? Perfect timing-" Orchid then goes into a whisper. "I could use your help with Levi, I think the last delve might've had a terrible toll on his mind. Some kind of amnesia of everything except his childhood. He should be in the dining room right now. I told him that I'd make him food he would want."

15. - Top - End - #255

AssassinGuy

Pre-Child Regression

After getting no response from Liselle, he turns to all present.

"I think I will pass on the elixir. Do we have anything more to report? If not, I will call it a day."

When the meeting is over, he departs to his house to rest.

Post-Child Regression

Levi skips in and follows the direction. He sits down and begin playing with his wraith.

16. - Top - End - #256
    Titan in the Playground

As Orchid answers the door and fills her in on Levi being their and his current state she nods in understanding. "A quick study in the dungeon showed that when we killed that shadow creature he was suffering from some ptsd, I suspect it is not the first time he has encountered it." she replies quietly. "My business is a lot less important than this, lets see if we can help our friend. You cook and I'll go sit with him?" Abigail asks waiting for confirmation before she went off towards the dining room they had all eaten in once before.

"Oh my I didn't know that Lady Orchid had company. And who might you be young man?" She asks soothingly, allowing her aura to wash over their halfling friend and try to put him at ease as the older woman uses her quaterstaff as a walking stick and makes her way over to the table he was sitting at. "My name is Sister Abigail, priestess of the Lover's and a friend of Orchids, do you mind if I take a seat besides you while I wait for Lady Orchid to return from the kitchen?" the older woman asks, curious about how far his mental block would go, after all on some subconscious level he had known that Orchid was a friend and to come here.

17. - Top - End - #257

AssassinGuy

When Orchid comes back to ask him about his food, he stops playing with his wraith.

"Anything crispy."

A swift answer. As Orchid goes into the kitchen, Abigail's sudden appearance startles him to clutching the handle of the chair, eyes widen, body shaking, mouth wavering like a wave. The aura stops that once he is within it.

"Um, no. Even though you look like a grandma, only my ma and pa gets to be close to me."

In a calm state, he waits to see what Abigail will do and positions himself accordingly. If she sits beside him anyways, he will get up and sit across her, telling his wraith to follow him. After Abigail settles on a chair, he fiddles his fingers.

"You are kinda a healer, right? The ones that remove boo boos and scare away those walking dead thingies. Wait, wait, wait. Orchid mentioned that a certain sister would like to see me. That you?"
    Last edited by Yas392; 2022-10-11 at 08:45 AM.

18. - Top - End - #258
    Titan in the Playground

As Abigail enters the room she notices Levi's strange reaction to her, as if he had just seen some kind of monster or ghost from his past. Not wanting to scare him anymore and make him flee she made sure to get him in her aura to calm him down. Interesting, is he reacting this way due to my new power because of the elixir and its ties to the shadow plane like that monster or because at some level this child like persona doesn't want to relinquish its power over Levi at the moment and sees me as a threat to its hold over him?" she questions herself mentally knowing that her mind was safe from intrusions as she looked on at a split personality of Levi.

"I understand young man, after all I am a stranger to you. I will sit over here then." she explains as she sits on the opposite side of the table from him, giving him his own personal space to help him feel at ease.

Listening to Levi's questions she waits until he is finished, noting his fidgeting as he did so. "I am indeed a healer that takes care of boo boo's and scare away the non living creatures like the one you are friends with. But don't worry I do not harm the ones who are friendly and not causing anyone harm. Only the ones who wish to hurt people like us. In fact I am part of a group that goes into the Dungeon and I help to make sure that they stay alive along with Orchid and another friend of ours. He can fly you see and call darkness to hide himself, but he can also heal and is a very strong ally." she says, curious if Levi would recognize himself in her story. "As for a certain Sister wanting to see you, I am unsure. It is possible, though I was in truth coming here to speak to Orchid about the hospital and such we were making together to train young delvers so that they do not get lost in the Dungeon." Abigail explains patiently, answering his questions as best she could.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Abigail can easily suspect that she is who Orchid meant, however she does not know for certain as she wasn't told by Orchid that she was about to bring Levi to see her, only that she had perfect timing and that Levi wasn't acting like Levi. So not really a lie.

19. - Top - End - #259
    Ogre in the Playground

Orchid follows the sister back to the living room, where she approaches Levi to get his order. She then slithers off to the kitchen where she begins looking through her Freshbox. An expensive, but convenient box that is actually a doorway to an extradimensional space used to store food. Part potent purify food and drink, and genius application of Prestidigitation help ensure the food stays fresh, never smells bad(at least more than normal) and never loses its flavor. The artificer really shouldn't have made one herself due to the cost, she really did miss the convenience of it from her former employment. As she looked through her stock, the former maid thought back to her time working under a noble as a maid and to some of the snacks she occasionally prepared for his children- it then clicked! A recipe given to her by another maid, some that was crispy and the children loved. She grabbed some chicken breasts and closed the Freshbox. She set some oil to warm up in a pot with her third hand and then set aside the chicken to prepare the breading by mixing breadcrumbs and some seasoning together in short order. She then grabbed a nice and made quick work of the chicken, reducing it down to bite sized chunks. Orchid swings back in to the Freshbox and grabs some ostrich eggs which she then breaks open into a bowl, gives it a mix and then dips the chicken chunks into mixed egg, the breading, and then into her pot which starts frying them.

After some time, she has a nice bowl of chicken nuggets for everyone. Orchid slithers back into the kitchen and sets down the bowl near Levi and setups silverware for Levi, herself, and Abigail.

"Do you want a drink, Levi? And one for you Abigail?" she asks.

20. - Top - End - #260

AssassinGuy

"Is you, no mistake. Why would Orchid mention a sister that she wants me to meet? And you can call me Levi by the way but looking at your face, you already know like Orchid."

As steam comes out of the kitchen, Levi puffs out his chest.

"That guy you mentioned seems strong but I will be better than him. Any day, anywhere, someday when I am ready to go into the Dungeon. Just he wait. I will be a very strong warrior rushing ahead to vanquish evil!"

Orchid returns from the kitchen with food as Levi stands on top of a chair and swings at empty air after role playing his daydreams using the chair as a prop for his showcase. He looks down at the plate with the steaming chicken nuggets and plops down to normal sitting position.

"Just in time. I'm starved."

He takes two nuggets and drops it into his mouth while Orchid asks for her guest about what drinks they want.

"I, *crunch*, want, *crunch*, ais cureimu soda, *crunch*."

His muffled answer as he articulates while chewing.

21. - Top - End - #261
    Titan in the Playground

"I know of another who looks very much like you by the name of Levi yes, however that didn't necessarily mean your name was Levi. Thus why I waited for you to introduce yourself to me." she explains to the boy now in possession of Levi's body. "For all I knew you were a ghost, a spirit, or something else entirely that shared a body with the person I know as Levi and thus I did not want to seem rude given you act very differently then him to call you such on the off chance you were not.".

"Perhaps one day Levi, perhaps. However why is it you wish to go rushing into the Dungeon and prove yourself to be the strongest? Many after all would much rather spend their lives never going near the place, yet you seem so eager." she points out. "I myself do it to provide for my family and those I care for, and I hope with time to make Sol a better place for the people to live. But that is only one of many reasons, I am curious what drives you? My friend seems to go for the power it brings him I believe as well as the wealth, though I could be mistaken." she admits, speaking of course about Levi himself, but not the one that was before her now.

"Just some tea Orchid, thank you. If you want I know my way around the kitchen enough where I should be able to manage if you want to rest a minute." Abigail offers.

22. - Top - End - #262

AssassinGuy

"Oh, I am Levi for sure. Right, Ghosty?"

The wraith nods. When Abigail asks his motivations, the childlike halfling laughs and gives a dismissive wave.

"You mean why I want to go into the Dungeon? Dreams and glory, silly. As for being the strongest, I dunno. I just want to."

23. - Top - End - #263
    Ogre in the Playground

Orchid shakes her head. "No, I have it handled."

Orchids slithers out of the dining room and back into the kitchen once more. She grabs a darts out again to the Freshbox, grabbing a glass bottle of cream soda. After returning from the fresher box, heats up water in a pot, transfers it to a teapot and throws in her favorite batch of peppermint tea. Once done steeping, she carries both beverages on hand, and a pair of teacups in her third hand. Once, the artificer returns to the room, she sets down Levi's drink next to him and fills a teacup with peppermint tea which she hands to the sister and then Orchid fills up her own cup and takes a seat.

"I can remember when I thought of the dungeon as just following in my parent's footsteps."
    Orchid comments.

24. - Top - End - #264

AssassinGuy

Levi's eyes sparkles as he sips the ice cream soda Orchid provided.

"Oooooo. They are delvers?"

25. - Top - End - #265
    Ogre in the Playground

Orchid's expression turns to one of mild depression as she takes a sip from her tea. "My mother was- my dad ran a shop as an artificer. Only a few months before I was supposed to become one myself my mother went on a delve and that was the last I saw of her. I know she wanted to see me off for my first delve."

26. - Top - End - #266
    Titan in the Playground

Abigail sits and listens to what the child like Levi replies and notes that his ideas are indeed that of a child, untouched by truth of the matter of the Dungeon or what they have learned about it so far. This was both reassuring and troubling to her at the same time.

As Orchid returns with her tea Abigail thanks her as she takes a sip before listening to what Orchid had to say. "I think you were both very special, you got to meet and know your parents in this life. I wouldn't even know where to begin honestly. My earliest memories are that of the church of Pelor taking me and my siblings in. It was nice there, however something always struck me as wrong, different. It was the Mother and Father whispering to me, I was simply to young to understand it. Even now it is hard to understand what they say. Sorry let me explain, its the religion I founded, or should I say rediscovered. The Mother and Father are life and death. The Father brings you into this world, gives you life and a will of your own so that you may grow and become a wonderful gift for the Mother. And while many fear Death, she is not so bad. She is the one who greets you home after a long life and welcomes you with open arms no matter what you have done. Understanding and kind, but firm when she must be. It is why I never quite fit well in the temple of Pelor I realized, it was never really him who I was hearing in my head." she says before realizing she kinda got derailed. "Sorry sometimes I get lost in thought and just keep rambling. What happened to your dad then Orchid? After all if only your mother was a delver surely he is still around?"

27. - Top - End - #267

AssassinGuy

Levi's straw drops from his mouth into the glass as he listens. His eyelids droop as Abigail traverse into a religious monologue, only snapping open when she asks Orchid about her father.

"So your ma is dead?"
    Last edited by Yas392; 2022-10-20 at 05:17 AM.

28. - Top - End - #268
    Ogre in the Playground

Orchid grimaces. "After that, my dad was afraid to lose me and he convinced me to not go delving. After that, he pulled some string high up and I ended up working among the maid staff of a noble. While I was under his employment, I got exemption from the usual delving duties. So I did that for three years until sometime after I turned 18. Suddenly his letters stopped and he hadn't stopped by in a few days. I came back home and found it locked with no sign of him. It was only after asking around that I found out that I found out he entered the dungeon. Weeks went by, and he still hadn't returned. So I got my stuff together, ended up in an accident of my own making that nearly killed me, and then stepped forth myself to try and find them. Solstafir and I are the only ones out of that initial group that still delve right now to my knowledge."
    Last edited by QuadraticGish; 2022-10-21 at 10:05 AM.

29. - Top - End - #269

AssassinGuy

Levi finishes his soda and food in a haste before hopping down the chair. He turns to Orchid, expression unreadable; a neutral face.

"I like the food and drink you made. I gotta go."

The halfling runs away with his wraith following him and exits the house.
    Last edited by Yas392; 2022-10-25 at 11:27 AM.

30. - Top - End - #270
    Ogre in the Playground

Orchid is stunned as she watches the halfling scarf down his food and run off. She quickly recovers however and looks towards the sister.

"Do you think we should just let him go right that?" she asks.