A Monster for Every Season: Summer 2
You can get A Monster for Every Season: Summer 2 now at Gumroad
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

amused Wolf Coin: A Dresden Files Mafia Game

The White Council of Wizards have gathered at their Edinburgh headquarters. An ordinary day, this would mostly entail loud disagreements in Latin. Today, there will be slightly more murder, betrayl and possible ends to the Laws of Magic than usual.

According to supposedly reliable sources, the impregnable castle has been infiltrated by the Order of the Blackened Denarius. They have sent a few of their coins each containing a fallen angel to trusted members of the White Council. Some of them fell to temptation, others were simply worn down, but in the end all of them fell under the Fallen's control and set out to infiltrate the White Council. After learning of the Denarians' plan, the Senior Council declared martial law and tasked the Wardens with executing anyone suspected of carrying one of the fallen angels.

In response, the Denarians appear to have decided that if they cannot control the White Council they might as well destroy it.

So, this is a werewolf/mafia game. If anyone's not familiar with what that is, here's probably a way better description than I could come up with. This wiki has some additional information, but keep in mind that not all rules and roles are used in every game.

Anyhow, some notes on this particular game:
    • Days will be 48 hours and nights 24 hours (I might lower the day to 24 hours towards the end, we'll see about that). Talking during the night is allowed.
    • All communication will take place in the game thread or in any Xoyondo chat (XD for short) you have been granted access to.
    • If you post in a chat, you must use your forum name (or one close enough that there's no confusion about who you are). Unless otherwise noted, you are not allowed to share the link to a chat with anyone else (though you can obviously share information from there, if you wish).
    • While I wouldn't go so far as to call it a bastard game (though I suppose some might), there may be incomplete or potentially misleading information at times.
    • Although the game is obviously based on the Dresden Files, I reserve the right to change anything as needed, so there's no guarantee that what's true in the books is true in this game. You also probably shouldn't think too hard about when this takes place in the Dresden Files timeline.
    • All roles are characters from the books and their powers typically have some connection to that character but their alignment will not (we're dealing with fallen angels possessing people here).
    • Votes should be in red and bold. I will count the latest ones, but please strike through your old votes. Vote totals will not be public.
    • Everyone will have one or more powers. Denarians/wolves may have extra powers in addition to their character's basic powers.
    • Power uses should be submitted to me over PM or XD.
    • Unless otherwise specified, no power can target the same person twice in a row.
    • Since A) this is the first game I narrate and B) my design philosophy is mostly "this seems fun", the game is quite possibly horribly unbalanced. Though at least even I don't know in which direction.

Players:
    • flat_footed
    • Valmark
    • bladescape
    • Xumtiil
    • gac3
    • Book Wombat
    • Snowblaze
    • JeenLeen
    • Metastachydium
    • Farmerbink
    • Zelphas
    • CaoimhinTheCape
    • Togo
    • Rogan

Pre-Deceased:
    • Taffimai
    • Elenna
    Last edited by Batcathat; 2022-07-06 at 12:08 PM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Alchemist in the Playground Moderator

Default Re: Wolf Coin: A Dresden Files Mafia Game

Spoiler: In
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Peelee
    So I'm the Satipo to your Dr. Jones, Jr.?
    Spoiler: Quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Kish View Post
    flat_footed, you saved London, you know.
    Quote Originally Posted by Xihirli
    Yeah Flat_footed is such a killjoy. Let's take turns talking bad about him, he'll never read this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Murska View Post
    I didn't kill anyone, except I guess I killed everyone

Extended Signature

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

I'm in. 10

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

I'm in, of course.

Currently Recruiting WW/Mafia: Book Wombat's "The Tarot Club"

Quote Originally Posted by Xumtiil View Post
    An Abattoir Vecna, if you will.
    My Homebrew

5. - Top - End - #5
    Barbarian in the Playground

I am never a wolf. /in
    "Trust bladescape, Shadow of Doubt,"

My almighty and all knowing extended Signature lies HERE! Now includes awesome quotes!

6. - Top - End - #6
    Halfling in the Playground

RedSorcererGirl

Quote Originally Posted by bladescape View Post
    I am never a wolf. /in
    X. Doubt

Contemplating in

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

I'm in. May not get around to reading this until my game ends though.

8. - Top - End - #8

In as well!
    Rule Number One: Worship cookies!

Discord: Bookwhyrm#4020, feel free to DM.

Book Wombat's Extended Signature

Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    -. --- - / -- ..- -.-. .... / .... . .-. .

9. - Top - End - #9
    Dwarf in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Good news: exams aren't going to affect my ability to participate in this game.

Bad news: I get back from holiday on the 8th. Game is scheduled to start on the 6th, so... is it okay for me to miss most of D1? If so, in.
    Werewolf games won: 16
    Werewolf games lost: 8
    Games as town: 14
    Games as neutral: 3
    Games as wolf: 7
    Games narrated: 1
    Deaths: 10

I have no clue what Im doing, but you still shouldn't trust me.

"When people say impossible, they usually mean improbable" ~ Nikolai Lantsov
    Extended Signature

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ettin in the Playground

BardGuy

In

Quote Originally Posted by Batcathat View Post
    Unless otherwise specified, no power can target the same person twice in a row.
    Can wolves attempt to kill the same person twice in a row?
    E.g., if they got baned N1, could they try again N2?

Also, to clarify on votes: crossing out your old votes is not actually required. It's just a nice thing to do.

Can Neutrals exist if we have enough players? Feel free to answer "No comment" if you don't want us to know.
    Last edited by JeenLeen; 2022-06-23 at 08:27 AM.

11. - Top - End - #11

Quote Originally Posted by JeenLeen View Post
    Can wolves attempt to kill the same person twice in a row?
    E.g., if they got baned N1, could they try again N2?
    Good question, I hadn't really considered that. I'm going to say the kill is exempt from that rule, but I reserve the right to change my mind before the game starts.

Can Neutrals exist if we have enough players? Feel free to answer "No comment" if you don't want us to know.
    I have some ideas for neutrals, so if I work those out and there are enough players, neutrals are possible but not guaranteed.

Funnily enough, I am expecting to answer "No comment" to a lot of questions, but this particular one I had already decided to answer (but no more than I've already done).

Quote Originally Posted by Snowblaze View Post
    Good news: exams aren't going to affect my ability to participate in this game.

Bad news: I get back from holiday on the 8th. Game is scheduled to start on the 6th, so... is it okay for me to miss most of D1? If so, in.
    It's fine by me, with the same reservation I had about Jeen joining the current game late, that it might be a disadvantage for the wolves if you end up one.
    Last edited by Batcathat; 2022-06-23 at 09:49 AM.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Troll in the Playground

I feel Tempted. Keep looking to the east, at dawn, just in case.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Titan in the Playground

Im very interested. I love social deduction games, and also love The Dresden Files.

That said, Im utterly ignorant of how it works on forums. I see that youve included a link in the first post, but I wonder if Ill have time to get familiar before the game is due to start.

Still, I wanted to express my interest while I was looking at it. 😁

14. - Top - End - #14

RedKnightGirl

I'd like to opt for the Chill In Deadchat option again, if that's ok
    78% of DM's started their first campaign in a tavern. If you're one of the 22% that didn't, copy and paste this into your signature.

15. - Top - End - #15

Contemplating in
    So this is a "maybe"?

Quote Originally Posted by Metastachydium View Post
    I feel Tempted. Keep looking to the east, at dawn, just in case.
    Sounds good.

Quote Originally Posted by Farmerbink View Post
    Im very interested. I love social deduction games, and also love The Dresden Files.

That said, Im utterly ignorant of how it works on forums. I see that youve included a link in the first post, but I wonder if Ill have time to get familiar before the game is due to start.

Welcome, it's always nice with new players. Aside from reading what I linked, it might be a good idea to take a look at some recent games over in Structured Games, that can both show how the game works and give some insight into the play style of some of the regular players.

However, even if you don't have time for either of those, you can follow along with the basics of the game fairly easily (I didn't really do a lot of research before I started playing and while I don't exactly overwhelm anyone with my skills, I think I did alright-ish ).

Quote Originally Posted by Taffimai View Post
    I'd like to opt for the Chill In Deadchat option again, if that's ok
    Yeah, that should be fine.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ettin in the Playground

BardGuy

On "can't target the same person twice": if I'm a baner (assuming can't bane same person twice), and put in an action to bane AV N1. But I get voided. Can I bane AV N2?
    In short, does being voided mean the targeting didn't happen and thus can try again.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Titan in the Playground

Welcome, it's always nice with new players. Aside from reading what I linked, it might be a good idea to take a look at some recent games over in Structured Games, that can both show how the game works and give some insight into the play style of some of the regular players.

However, even if you don't have time for either of those, you can follow along with the basics of the game fairly easily (I didn't really do a lot of research before I started playing and while I don't exactly overwhelm anyone with my skills, I think I did alright-ish ).
    Turns out to be very similar to a great many games I enjoy playing in person. I'm definitely in :-D

18. - Top - End - #18
    Troll in the Playground

Griffon

I think I have to be in, for a Dresden Files game.
    Originally Posted by Xefas:
    "I need the Goblins in phalanx arrangement. Sky Blotters in the back! Swissles? Assume the Swizzle Stick Formation! We're going in!"
    What Pokemon am I?
    Spoiler
    Show

19. - Top - End - #19
    Dwarf in the Playground

ElfRogueGirl

Can I join Taffi in the "chilling in deadchat" group?
    I'm Chaotic Good! Ish!

20. - Top - End - #20

ClericGuy

Welcome to the Show, it's good to see new players here. I hope you will have fun and if there are any questions, feel free to ask.

Quote Originally Posted by Elenna View Post
    I'll either be in or joining the ladies in the dead chat. Not sure which option will fit better with my schedule.
    Spoiler: I'm a seer
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Unavenger View Post
    All the discussion of how weird the half-hour start is seems weirdly prescient, in retrospect.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rogan View Post
    Can I use my prediction of the half an hour being used to set up Factional chats as proof I am the Seer?
    Quote Originally Posted by rogue_alchemist View Post
    only IRL, not as in game proof, as we all know that recruitment threads don't count for making IG decisions

More Mafia

21. - Top - End - #21

On "can't target the same person twice": if I'm a baner (assuming can't bane same person twice), and put in an action to bane AV N1. But I get voided. Can I bane AV N2?
    In short, does being voided mean the targeting didn't happen and thus can try again.
    Yet another question I hadn't considered (can you tell it's the first game I'm running? ), but I'm gonna say it applies to who you target (rather than who's actually affected), so in that situation you could not bane AV again.

Turns out to be very similar to a great many games I enjoy playing in person. I'm definitely in :-D
    Excellent.

Quote Originally Posted by Elenna View Post
    Sure. I'm gonna make a "chilling in deadchat" list, so I don't forget.

I'll either be in or joining the ladies in the dead chat. Not sure which option will fit better with my schedule.
    You're welcome either way (but you're probably a liiiiittle more welcome as an actual player. ).

22. - Top - End - #22

RedSorcererGirl

So this is a "maybe"?
    A very definite maybe. I'll know in a few days if it'll work for me, I'll do a more decisive in/out/chilling then.

23. - Top - End - #23

ClericGuy

You're welcome either way (but you're probably a liiiiittle more welcome as an actual player. ).
    I'll keep this in mind. Bonus points if I join as a player, but my power gives me dead chat access anyway (but no, this would be unbalanced, cause it would give me more points of view).

If you have different powers, you can use them on the same person multiple nights in a row, right?
    Spoiler: I'm a seer
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Unavenger View Post
    All the discussion of how weird the half-hour start is seems weirdly prescient, in retrospect.
    Can I use my prediction of the half an hour being used to set up Factional chats as proof I am the Seer?
    Quote Originally Posted by rogue_alchemist View Post
    only IRL, not as in game proof, as we all know that recruitment threads don't count for making IG decisions

More Mafia

24. - Top - End - #24

RedKnightGirl

I'll keep this in mind. Bonus points if I join as a player, but my power gives me dead chat access anyway (but no, this would be unbalanced, cause it would give me more points of view).

If you have different powers, you can use them on the same person multiple nights in a row, right?
    I don't know, it could be considered a disadvantage to have me shout "sus, sus!" in your ears the entire time

Maybe Elenna and I will do a little Statler and Waldorf routine while we're at it...
    78% of DM's started their first campaign in a tavern. If you're one of the 22% that didn't, copy and paste this into your signature.

25. - Top - End - #25

Correct, the limitation is tied to the power, not the player.

26. - Top - End - #26

RedSorcererGirl

Maybe Elenna and I will do a little Statler and Waldorf routine while we're at it...
    You're making it harder for me to want to play if you keep tempting me with a good time like this.

27. - Top - End - #27

In! (i need to pay more attention, almost missed this)

28. - Top - End - #28

RedKnightGirl

You're making it harder for me to want to play if you keep tempting me with a good time like this.
    I think what Xumtiil is saying here is that he wants to be wagoned D1
    Last edited by Taffimai; 2022-06-27 at 02:08 PM.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Titan in the Playground

I think what Xumtiil is saying here is that he wants to be wagoned D1
    Well, I want to be a Denarian. Which almost certainly means I'll be some kinda boring apprentice wizard or bookkeeper XD

30. - Top - End - #30

RedKnightGirl

Well, I want to be a Denarian. Which almost certainly means I'll be some kinda boring apprentice wizard or bookkeeper XD
    Isn't that from Doctor Who? Are those franchises related to eachother?