New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Troll in the Playground

Default Does a polymorphed troll still Regenerate?

I presume a Lamb Troll does not regenerate, due to regeneration being a physical attribute of the body itself. (Barring abilities which specifically allow the retaining of said abilities through polymorph.)

But I figured I'd still ask and see if there are any counter opinions.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Does a polymorphed troll still Regenerate?

Quote Originally Posted by Alter Self
    You keep all extraordinary special attacks and qualities derived from class levels, but you lose any from your normal form that are not derived from class levels.
    They lose their Regeneration ability.

Quote Originally Posted by Baleful Polymorph
    You change the subject into a Small or smaller animal of no more than 1 HD (such as a dog, lizard, monkey, or toad). The subject takes on all the statistics and special abilities of an average member of the new form in place of its own except as follows:

The target retains its own alignment (and personality, within the limits of the new form’s ability scores).
    The target retains its own hit points.
    The target is treated as having its normal Hit Dice for purpose of adjudicating effects based on HD, such as the sleep spell, though it uses the new form’s base attack bonus, base save bonuses, and all other statistics derived from Hit Dice.
    The target also retains the ability to understand (but not to speak) the languages it understood in its original form. It can write in the languages it understands, but only the form is capable of writing in some manner (such as drawing in the dirt with a paw).

With those exceptions, the target’s normal game statistics are replaced by those of the new form. The target loses all the special abilities it has in its normal form, including its class features.
    The polymorph subschool has the same loss of abilities as Baleful Polymorph.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by SangoProduction View Post
    I presume a Lamb Troll does not regenerate, due to regeneration being a physical attribute of the body itself. (Barring abilities which specifically allow the retaining of said abilities through polymorph.)

But I figured I'd still ask and see if there are any counter opinions.
    Looking for a never-ending source of lamb chops?

Isn't there a magic item somewhere which is basically a regenerating pig that you can get unlimited meat from? I may be thinking of an earlier edition, but I thought it got a 3.X reprint. I think it was based on something from real-world mythology, but I'm not seeing it in Deities and Demigods. Maybe Dragon Mag?

[edit] Probably based on Sćhrímnir [/edit]

4. - Top - End - #4
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Thurbane View Post

Isn't there a magic item somewhere which is basically a regenerating pig that you can get unlimited meat from? I may be thinking of an earlier edition, but I thought it got a 3.X reprint. I think it was based on something from real-world mythology, but I'm not seeing it in Deities and Demigods. Maybe Dragon Mag?

There's also Tooth-barer and Tooth-grinder, Thor's chariot pulling goats, who he resurrects using his hammer.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Barbarian in the Playground

MindFlayer

Quote Originally Posted by RSGA View Post
    There's also Tooth-barer and Tooth-grinder, Thor's chariot pulling goats, who he resurrects using his hammer.

There's also Manannan Mac Lir's pigs, if you want mythological regenerating livestock that's actually pigs, for neverending bacon and sausage and pork chops oh my
    "I want tools to use in the game, not a blank check to do what I want. I can already do what I want." -Rich Burlew, author of OoTS, and founder/owner of this very website you're reading this text on.

Grod's Law of game design: "You cannot and should not balance bad mechanics by making them annoying to use"

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Crichton View Post
    There's also Manannan Mac Lir's pigs, if you want mythological regenerating livestock that's actually pigs, for neverending bacon and sausage and pork chops oh my
    That may be the one I was thinking of! I think it was statted up in Dragon Mag or somewhere as a magic item?

7. - Top - End - #7
    Barbarian in the Playground

MindFlayer

That may be the one I was thinking of! I think it was statted up in Dragon Mag or somewhere as a magic item?
    Pigs of Easal - Dragon Mag #207, pg18. They have a whole article on Celtic magic items. Not sure if it was ever reprinted/updated for 3.x. Don't see it in Dragon Compendium, at the least
    "I want tools to use in the game, not a blank check to do what I want. I can already do what I want." -Rich Burlew, author of OoTS, and founder/owner of this very website you're reading this text on.

Grod's Law of game design: "You cannot and should not balance bad mechanics by making them annoying to use"